PDA

View Full Version : Chris Carrawell back to Duke

ipatent
03-28-2018, 07:37 PM
to join the staff. Just announced during the McD game.

BD80
03-28-2018, 07:58 PM
to join the staff. Just announced during the McD game.

Coach K poaching from his kids?

Duke79UNLV77
03-28-2018, 07:59 PM
If our players are half as tough as our 5 coaches, we’ll be in great shape!

freshmanjs
03-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Love this move. Chris has great toughness. Him and Nate. bad-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

DukeWarhead
03-28-2018, 08:01 PM
Very very good. We will be well with C-well

Clay Feet POF
03-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Very very good. We will be well with C-well

And his Son is a very nice HS Player.

kako
03-28-2018, 08:03 PM
So I wonder if that means his son's going to Duke?

BD80
03-28-2018, 08:07 PM

Per Wikipedia: "Caleb is a 5 star guard that attends Cox Mill High school who is heavily recruited by Duke University"

Great, now they'll say we hired him to get his son

Dukehky
03-28-2018, 08:12 PM
I hope this doesn't mean Nolan is going with Capel.

I have high hopes for Nolan in many regards, but especially recruiting; he just relates so well to everyone. I am a little surprised by his not getting the promotion, but at the same time, he may just not be ready for that kind of role. I guess if he were, he would have gotten promoted. Would really hate to lose him, and I think it may happen because Capel mentioned some stuff about filling out his coaching staff, just seemed to implicate Nolan a little bit. Also, Nate was a special asst. for a while before getting promoted, Nolan may just not be in the right spot. I would love to keep him, because I think Scheyer isn't long for the Duke world. He's super good.

C-Well is a good hire. He kind of got jobbed when he was a special assistant. They bumped him to the women's team which he kept for maybe 3 weeks (I was a practice player at the time and was pumped about it, but it did not last long). I have faith in Chris, and I think he's going to do really well.

Furniture
03-28-2018, 08:46 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/03/duke-mens-basketball-to-hire-chris-carrawell-as-assistant-coach

BD80
03-28-2018, 09:03 PM
I like bringing Chris back, particularly with the three top recruits coming in being generally his height. I remember Chris being a great defender, defending the wings and the post. He would defend opposing centers when asked, and do a better than just credible job.

tbyers11
03-28-2018, 09:06 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/03/duke-mens-basketball-to-hire-chris-carrawell-as-assistant-coach

Not saying that Carrawell coming back isn't ultimately true. But the Chronicle article simply cites the tweet by Jeff Goodman that he reported on air at the McD game. Same source reported upthread.

Nothing official from Duke yet.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-28-2018, 09:25 PM
I like bringing Chris back, particularly with the three top recruits coming in being generally his height. I remember Chris being a great defender, defending the wings and the post. He would defend opposing centers when asked, and do a better than just credible job.

Carrawell is a throw back to when Duke always had one total lock down defender who could take the other team's leading scorer out of the game. I think Billy King was the first, and there several others, including CC....

Duke79UNLV77
03-28-2018, 09:53 PM

This makes me feel old!

devildeac
03-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Per Wikipedia: "Caleb is a 5 star guard that attends Cox Mill High school who is heavily recruited by Duke University"

Great, now they'll say we hired him to get his son

I guess K is manning up. So to speak.

(I'll go to bed now.)

fuse
03-28-2018, 10:07 PM
The weird, living in the upside down, continues.

Carrawell is my favorite player.
Beyond excited to see him come back.

UrinalCake
03-28-2018, 10:25 PM
I remember watching Carrawell play, you would think he had never held a basketball before in his life. He had a crazy high dribble and an awkward shooting form. Yet he found ways to get the ball in the basket. I always feel like the former players who make the best coaches are the ones who weren't uber-athletic, but who instead had to rely on smarts and intellect to win. Carrawell used to talk about growing up playing pickup against grown men on the playgrounds and having to walk home if he lost.

I also remember during every broadcast the announcers would tell the story of Carrawell growing up in a less-than-privileged household and showing up on the Duke campus and seeing all the Lexus SUV's in the student parking lots while he was driving an old beater. Rival fans got pretty sick of hearing that story. But perhaps his background will help him relate to recruits who come from similar circumstances, or who view Duke in a certain way.

I'm still a little unclear as to the pecking order. Does he leapfrog Nolan and take over the Assistant Coach title that was previously held by both Scheyer and James? Does Nolan stay in his current role?

devildeac
03-28-2018, 11:10 PM
I remember watching Carrawell play, you would think he had never held a basketball before in his life. He had a crazy high dribble and an awkward shooting form. Yet he found ways to get the ball in the basket. I always feel like the former players who make the best coaches are the ones who weren't uber-athletic, but who instead had to rely on smarts and intellect to win. Carrawell used to talk about growing up playing pickup against grown men on the playgrounds and having to walk home if he lost.

I also remember during every broadcast the announcers would tell the story of Carrawell growing up in a less-than-privileged household and showing up on the Duke campus and seeing all the Lexus SUV's in the student parking lots while he was driving an old beater. Rival fans got pretty sick of hearing that story. But perhaps his background will help him relate to recruits who come from similar circumstances, or who view Duke in a certain way.

I'm still a little unclear as to the pecking order. Does he leapfrog Nolan and take over the Assistant Coach title that was previously held by both Scheyer and James? Does Nolan stay in his current role?

From the Capel to Pitt thread:

@AdamRoweTDD
2h2 hours ago
More Adam Rowe Retweeted Jeff Goodman
Nolan Smith likely to follow Capel

juise
03-28-2018, 11:54 PM
From the Capel to Pitt thread:

@AdamRoweTDD
2h2 hours ago
More Adam Rowe Retweeted Jeff Goodman
Nolan Smith likely to follow Capel

How is Nolan going to bolster his men’s dresswear sponsorships if he’s not on national TV every week?!

Seriously, though, Nolan is my second favorite Dukie and I would be really sad to see him go.

79-77
03-29-2018, 12:14 AM
The weird, living in the upside down, continues.

Carrawell is my favorite player.
Beyond excited to see him come back.

Not quite my #1, but CC is definitely one of my all-time favorites too.

He was the ultimate glue guy. He could shoot it, pass it and take it to the hole and he was a terrific defender against multiple positions. He had a bit of Battier in him too in that he made all the little plays that add up to winning. And he was tough. He wasn't intimidated by anyone. Also, his interviews were terrific. He was honest and funny. You could tell that he was a great teammate.

He never met his deadbeat loser of a father, but he got himself to Duke, immediately worked his way into the rotation with 16 min per game and a number of starts as a freshman, then 22 per game as a part-time starter as a sophomore, then started every game as a junior and senior. He was first-team All-American and ACC POY as a senior. Duke was 58-6 in the ACC during CC's 4 years.

Duke has had a zillion great players at this point, but in the Duke-UNC time machine best-of-7 series for permanent bragging rights, CC is on my team and in my (admittedly deeper than K's) rotation.

Also, it's now official: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1617107

Spanarkel
03-29-2018, 07:38 AM
Carrawell is a throw back to when Duke always had one total lock down defender who could take the other team's leading scorer out of the game. I think Billy King was the first, and there several others, including CC...

Amaker won the NDPOY the season before King did.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2018, 07:55 AM
Amaker won the NDPOY the season before King did.

Amaker was also great on defense, but in my memory, he was more focused on forcing turnovers than being assigned to get inside the skin of one guy, the leading scorer, and shut him down. Seems to me that was what King and Carrawell did, along with Matt Jones to a degree.

I was focused on how Duke used these players more than any awards they did or did not win.

And another thing, King couldn't throw a ball into the ocean at times....he was all D. And Al McGuire used to call him "Sky King."

ChrisP
03-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Not quite my #1, but CC is definitely one of my all-time favorites too.

He was the ultimate glue guy. He could shoot it, pass it and take it to the hole and he was a terrific defender against multiple positions. He had a bit of Battier in him too in that he made all the little plays that add up to winning. And he was tough. He wasn't intimidated by anyone. Also, his interviews were terrific. He was honest and funny. You could tell that he was a great teammate.

He never met his deadbeat loser of a father, but he got himself to Duke, immediately worked his way into the rotation with 16 min per game and a number of starts as a freshman, then 22 per game as a part-time starter as a sophomore, then started every game as a junior and senior. He was first-team All-American and ACC POY as a senior. Duke was 58-6 in the ACC during CC's 4 years.

Duke has had a zillion great players at this point, but in the Duke-UNC time machine best-of-7 series for permanent bragging rights, CC is on my team and in my (admittedly deeper than K's) rotation.

Also, it's now official: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1617107

That's a link to an old Cwell story about him joining the Duke women's program. Are we sure this hire is official? I suspect Duke will have to address it now but basing all this off a Jeff Goodman tweet seems iffy to me.

Billy Dat
03-29-2018, 09:31 AM
C-Well is also my favorite Duke player of all time. Amazing that he built himself into the ACC Player of the Year!

I have to say, though, that I am definitely curious about his return to the Duke bench.

What we know:
-At one point, he and Nate were extremely close friends. One can only assume that is still the case or else he would not be coming back.
-To date, Nate has not distinguished himself as a "Head Coach in Waiting".
-C-Well wasn't seen as such a coaching star-on-the-rise that he was retained the first time around. Granted, it was a crowded bench.
-Looks like C-Well's son plays for a high school team based in NC
-Based on his prior quotes, K absolutely loves C-Well as a person

If I had to guess, there are a few things at work here. K thinks bringing C-Well back will help Nate. Maybe he sees them as a two man recruiting dynamic duo. K also maybe thinks he can help C-Well evolve into an Associate Head Coach type. Bottom line, I bet Duke is going to raise his pay significantly.

I am very happy about it as I love C-Well so much. My favorite moment from the on-court mayhem following Gordon Hayward's missed shot in 2010 was K bear hugging C-Well and saying, "That's the one you never got!" It didn't eliminate the sting of '99, but it helped.

I am sure Nolan is headed to Pitt to be one of Capel's top guys. The rising tide is floating all Duke boats which is great to see. I wonder if anyone will hire Paulus?

Billy Dat
03-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Just saw this, so maybe everything is still up in the air...

@BrianBatko
Jeff Capel just said on The Fan that he'd like to get Brandin Knight on his staff but that Duke's Nolan Smith won't be joining him at Pitt.

ehdg
03-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Just saw this, so maybe everything is still up in the air...

@BrianBatko
Jeff Capel just said on The Fan that he'd like to get Brandin Knight on his staff but that Duke's Nolan Smith won't be joining him at Pitt.

Yep I heard also that Nolan will be staying at Duke now. Wonder if someone else is leaving to possibly join either Wojo at Marquette or Capel at Pitt?

84Duke
03-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Amaker was also great on defense, but in my memory, he was more focused on forcing turnovers than being assigned to get inside the skin of one guy, the leading scorer, and shut him down. Seems to me that was what King and Carrawell did, along with Matt Jones to a degree.

I was focused on how Duke used these players more than any awards they did or did not win.

And another thing, King couldn't throw a ball into the ocean at times...he was all D. And Al McGuire used to call him "Sky King."

Actually, Billy called himself “Sky King.” If I recall, he had vanity plates on his car. And if you got to the last minute of a game, and there was a breakaway, that guy could sky.

superdave
03-29-2018, 12:02 PM
Yep I heard also that Nolan will be staying at Duke now. Wonder if someone else is leaving to possibly join either Wojo at Marquette or Capel at Pitt?

Nolan just got married and I think his wife is in the military. That could be a reason why he's staying put.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2018, 12:12 PM
Actually, Billy called himself “Sky King.” If I recall, he had vanity plates on his car. And if you got to the last minute of a game, and there was a breakaway, that guy could sky.

Well Al McGuire used to call him that....I would think it's more likely Billy King heard about what McGuire called him than a scenario where McGuire knew what was on Billy's vanity plate.

84Duke
03-29-2018, 12:21 PM
Well Al McGuire used to call him that...I would think it's more likely Billy King heard about what McGuire called him than a scenario where McGuire knew what was on Billy's vanity plate.

Can’t it be both? Or do you feel the need to argue about Billy King with a college friend of Billy King?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Can’t it be both? Or do you feel the need to argue about Billy King with a college friend of Billy King?

Who's arguing?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2018, 02:29 PM

Begun, the offseason has.

/sigh

UrinalCake
03-29-2018, 03:19 PM
Random Chris Carrawell story that came to mind... apparently on that 1999 team there were a lot of strong personalities, and at one point in practice Corey Maggette challenged Carrawell and threw a ball at him. Carrawell held his ground and threw it right back. Even though Battier was seen as the on-court leader of the group, Carrawell was very much a leader as well.

Owen Meany
03-29-2018, 04:27 PM
FWIW, in the past, Carrawell has worked out past players to prepare for either the draft process or for their NBA seasons (not in a general sense, but very specific, individual workouts as a trainer). So I would imagine that he is very strong in player development.

I assume Scheyer and James will handle half-time interviews, but would be amused to see what Carrawell might say. IIRC, there was a page on the old DBR of Carrawell quotes. It may have been anything Duke-related, but Carrawell dominated the quotes so much that I remember it as his.

On several occassions in the past, Capel has strongly responded to criticisms of Coach K or the Duke program (not directly mentioning the criticism in a way that would ignite publicity, but it was clear what he was responding to for any recruits or others following). I can imagine Carrawell taking over these duties. The next time Cal throws shade at Coach K or Duke I'm heading straight to Carrawell's twitter account.

Owen Meany
03-29-2018, 04:46 PM
I wasn't sure how to locate Chris Carrawell's gems, so I searched Chris Carrawell Ed Cota quote, since I recall Cota as the target of several zingers. I found this old DBR thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?2226-C-Well-blast-from-the-past) (which isn't the dedicated page I was speaking of earlier). Credit to Imb who started the thread and provided the quotes.

Some choice excerpts

"As long as I had Battier out there, I figured we'd be ok. Two-on-five, I think we could have took them. Well, add Jason and make it three-on-five."

"I don’t want to say (the ACC race) is over, but it’s over."

"He got his points in the second half. They didn't mean anything. The game was over."

"You can't ice me. I was having cramps and I couldn't bend my legs on my shot like I usually do. The timeouts [Illinois called] gave me a chance to take a deep breath and compose myself."

"I'll definitely come back. I have no choice."
Chris Carrawell on whether he'll jump to the NBA.

"I wanted to [call him], but I figured he was getting prepared for that long trip to the West Coast. I knew he had to wake up early and get ready to travel."
Chris Carrawell on his desire to call Ed Cota to discuss Ed's comments on the Blue Devils.

"How you doin', Ed? Nice game, Ed. What was the score, Ed?"
Chris Carrawell, after Ed Cota talked smack about Duke after three straight losses

"He's living in the past...we're the best team this year. Just admit it."
More on Cota

"I know the other teams in the ACC hate us. That's good; we hate them as well."
Chris Carrawell

"Facing some of the best guys in college basketball doesn't seem that scary when you've seen some of the stuff I've seen growing up. I saw all types of gang fights. I remember getting beat up a little bit as a kid. "There's nothing bad about that; I don't downplay that or anything. Not everybody can come from the suburbs. Once I made it out of that tough part, this is easy. "Everybody's friendly here. I'm playing on one of the best teams in the country. This is fun. I know where it's bad. I don't want to go back there anymore."

barely
03-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Great quotes. Brought back some great memories of C-Well. All the players today sound like a checklist of cliches. Thanks for doing the research and posting these.

I wasn't sure how to locate Chris Carrawell's gems, so I searched Chris Carrawell Ed Cota quote, since I recall Cota as the target of several zingers. I found this old DBR thread (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?2226-C-Well-blast-from-the-past) (which isn't the dedicated page I was speaking of earlier). Credit to Imb who started the thread and provided the quotes.

Some choice excerpts

"As long as I had Battier out there, I figured we'd be ok. Two-on-five, I think we could have took them. Well, add Jason and make it three-on-five."

"He got his points in the second half. They didn't mean anything. The game was over."

"You can't ice me. I was having cramps and I couldn't bend my legs on my shot like I usually do. The timeouts [Illinois called] gave me a chance to take a deep breath and compose myself."

"I wanted to [call him], but I figured he was getting prepared for that long trip to the West Coast. I knew he had to wake up early and get ready to travel."
Chris Carrawell on his desire to call Ed Cota to discuss Ed's comments on the Blue Devils.

Chris Carrawell, after Ed Cota talked smack about Duke after three straight losses

More on Cota

Chris Carrawell

"Facing some of the best guys in college basketball doesn't seem that scary when you've seen some of the stuff I've seen growing up. I saw all types of gang fights. I remember getting beat up a little bit as a kid. "There's nothing bad about that; I don't downplay that or anything. Not everybody can come from the suburbs. Once I made it out of that tough part, this is easy. "Everybody's friendly here. I'm playing on one of the best teams in the country. This is fun. I know where it's bad. I don't want to go back there anymore."

MChambers
03-29-2018, 05:13 PM

Some choice excerpts

More on Cota

Chris Carrawell

I seem to remember that when Brand, Avery, and Maggette declared for the draft, someone asked Carrawell if he was leaving and he said "Where am I going to go?"

Steven43
03-29-2018, 09:09 PM

Some choice excerpts

More on Cota

Chris Carrawell

Wow. I was a Duke fan before Carrawell’s time, yet l somehow hadn’t ever come across this stuff until tonight. Can’t wait for some similarly-bold quotes from Chris when the 2018-19 season gets underway.

trinity92
03-30-2018, 05:18 AM
Really hope Nolan is staying. He is so well liked and relates to everyone well. We need him on the recruiting trail with Capel gone.

Troublemaker
03-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Really hope Nolan is staying. He is so well liked and relates to everyone well. We need him on the recruiting trail with Capel gone.

I don't think the "special assistants" are allowed to go out on the recruiting trail if Nolan remains in that role.

That said, C-well is pretty darn charismatic, too.

cbarry
03-30-2018, 10:04 AM
I think C-well as assistant coach is a great hire for K, if true.

STILL nothing official on this hire, just rumors. And we know about rumors... Just a few days ago, we were convinced Scheyer was going to Pitt, and we know what happened...

I'll believe it when I read an official release from Duke.

English
03-30-2018, 10:13 AM
I think C-well as assistant coach is a great hire for K, if true.

STILL nothing official on this hire, just rumors. And we know about rumors... Just a few days ago, we were convinced Scheyer was going to Pitt, and we know what happened...

I'll believe it when I read an official release from Duke.

I'm sorry, what? Who was convinced of this?

The Nolan to Pitt with Capel "rumor" wasn't even a rumor...it was Adam Rowe stating an opinion on Twitter that others misunderstood.

The Carrawell-to-Duke hire is getting pub pretty much all over the CBB landscape. Goodman obviously had it out there, including broadcasting it on national television during the McDAA game. Parish and Norlander covered it in their latest pod. Totally different situations here.

Anywho, it'll be very interesting to see how this shakeup impacts Nolan, and to a lesser extent, Wojo.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2018, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry, what? Who was convinced of this?

The Nolan to Pitt with Capel "rumor" wasn't even a rumor...it was Adam Rowe stating an opinion on Twitter that others misunderstood.

The Carrawell-to-Duke hire is getting pub pretty much all over the CBB landscape. Goodman obviously had it out there, including broadcasting it on national television during the McDAA game. Parish and Norlander covered it in their latest pod. Totally different situations here.

Anywho, it'll be very interesting to see how this shakeup impacts Nolan, and to a lesser extent, Wojo.

There was definitely discussion here about Scheyer to Pitt - perhaps you missed it in the wake of our heartbreak.

I don't know if it was rooted in fact, or if anyone was "convinced" as such, but it was a topic of conversation.

*shrugs* I think the poster was simply referring to how quickly the discussion can change around here.

English
03-30-2018, 10:25 AM
There was definitely discussion here about Scheyer to Pitt - perhaps you missed it in the wake of our heartbreak.

I don't know if it was rooted in fact, or if anyone was "convinced" as such, but it was a topic of conversation.

*shrugs* I think the poster was simply referring to how quickly the discussion can change around here.

Ah, fair enough. I didn't miss hearing Scheyer's name mentioned, but I'm surprised anyone would be convinced of such, since that rumor lasted less than 24-hours. I can assure you, it was not rooted in fact. In fact, it may have been shared on the Capel-to-Pitt thread, but Capel said he went as far as needling Scheyer on a shared bus ride when he heard the rumor something like "Jon, man, wow, is this true, you leaving?!" when he knew the entire time it was he who was talking to Pitt.

Anyway, point taken. Things move quickly, rumors come and go. Nothing is official until it's official from the program.

I'd be very surprised if the CC hire turned out to be smoke.

Troublemaker
03-30-2018, 10:31 AM
I'd be very surprised if the CC hire turned out to be smoke.

I could see a situation where Goodman ends up getting it slightly wrong: C-well would be merely under consideration for the third assistant spot, and ultimately Duke decides to just promote Nolan.

Billy Dat
03-30-2018, 02:33 PM
Now it's official

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211708604&DB_OEM_ID=4200

C-Well assistant coach
Nolan named Director of Basketball Operations
Dave "Blue Planet" Bradley is named Creative Director

CrazyNotCrazie
03-30-2018, 02:33 PM
It's official - Carrawell is hired, Nolan is promoted to a different role but staying with the program

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211708604&DB_OEM_ID=4200

BD80
03-30-2018, 02:58 PM
It's official - Carrawell is hired, Nolan is promoted to a different role but staying with the program

Chris is now wearing glasses too. So he and Jon will be the smart looking ones on the bench ...

UrinalCake
03-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Great promotion for Nolan! These past couple years I honestly wondered what exactly he did other than carrying a clipboard (and wearing an awful suit). Director of Basketball Operations is a big time jump.

MartyClark
03-30-2018, 03:30 PM
Great promotion for Nolan! These past couple years I honestly wondered what exactly he did other than carrying a clipboard (and wearing an awful suit). Director of Basketball Operations is a big time jump.

Old, cranky, white guy here. Nolan rocks those suits.

cato
03-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Old, cranky, white guy here. Nolan rocks those suits.

Plus one. I’m not going to pretend that I could pull off that coat he wore for the Sweet 16, but he was looking sharp.

cbarry
03-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Plus one. I’m not going to pretend that I could pull off that coat he wore for the Sweet 16, but he was looking sharp.

First, glad to have C-well OFFICIALLY back at Duke!

Second, we are going to have to agree to disagree about Nolan's jacket in the Sweet 16. I love Nolan, but that jacket was hideous! I guess there is no accounting for taste...

BD80
03-30-2018, 04:42 PM

This sharp?

gep
03-30-2018, 05:18 PM
I keep wondering... what about Wojo??? Was he aware of this, or was this a surprise? What is he doing about it? Some even thought Nolan might land there... but that's not it.

sagegrouse
03-30-2018, 06:36 PM
First, glad to have C-well OFFICIALLY back at Duke!

Second, we are going to have to agree to disagree about Nolan's jacket in the Sweet 16. I love Nolan, but that jacket was hideous! I guess there is no accounting for taste...

Ancient medieval quote: "de gustibus non est disputandum." "To each his own," but more generously interpreted as "there is no sense arguing about taste."

HereBeforeCoachK
03-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Ancient medieval quote: "de gustibus non est disputandum." "To each his own," but more generously interpreted as "there is no sense arguing about taste."

...I see what you did there.....:cool:......I think.....

Clay Feet POF
03-30-2018, 07:15 PM
I keep wondering... what about Wojo??? Was he aware of this, or was this a surprise? What is he doing about it? Some even thought Nolan might land there... but that's not it.

Wojo hired Dave Thorson from Drake. I think that right.

Furniture
03-30-2018, 09:37 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-brings-back-carrawell-as-assistant-promotes-smith/17454778/

gep
03-30-2018, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I can’t help thinking that as much as Duke gained, Wojo lost as much.

MartyClark
03-30-2018, 09:52 PM
This sharp?

I generally agree with Sage on things. However, I am prepared to argue that Nolan has better taste, is more stylish and (not to Sage's point) seems to be a far better person.

I recently bought a mildly patterned sports coat. My friends are accusing me of emulating Bobby Knight. I resent that. I wish they would compare me to Nolan.

sagegrouse
03-30-2018, 10:13 PM
I generally agree with Sage on things. However, I am prepared to argue that Nolan has better taste, is more stylish and (not to Sage's point) seems to be a far better person.

I recently bought a mildly patterned sports coat. My friends are accusing me of emulating Bobby Knight. I resent that. I wish they would compare me to Nolan.

I am ambivalent about Nolan's jacket and would have to see it in person.

I am going to a masquerade party in a week, and if his jacket is in my closet, I am wearing it.

Clay Feet POF
03-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I can’t help thinking that as much as Duke gained, Wojo lost as much.

Yeah, Big hole to fill, but it comes with the HC job. I think Dave will be a nice replacement, and he might even be able to play Noon Ball with the other Coaches.

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2018, 10:35 AM

Never heard of him, but it looks like Thorson is highly respected in coaching circles. I haven't seen any news on Wojo hiring him, but it would be interesting if true since he was just named interim HC at Drake.

Thorson most recently served as an assistant to Niko Medved, the Drake University men’s basketball coach for the 2017-18 season. Together, the two coached the Bulldogs to their first winning mark in Missouri Valley Conference play in 10 years, posting a 17-17 overall season record (10-8 in the Conference).[3] The two share a deep history - Medved was a student manager at the University of Minnesota when Thorson was an assistant coach there. In late March 2018, Dave Thorson, was named interim coach at Drake after the departure of Medved to Colorado State.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Thorson

tbyers11
03-31-2018, 11:22 AM

Never heard of him, but it looks like Thorson is highly respected in coaching circles. I haven't seen any news on Wojo hiring him, but it would be interesting if true since he was just named interim HC at Drake.

Creighton assistant Darian DeVries was hired to be the Drake basketball coach (https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2018/03/29/darian-devries-drake-mens-basketball-loyal-bulldogs-randy-peterson/469213002/). So Thorson is out of the running there.

However, I also was unable to find any info about Thorson (or anyone) replacing Carrawell at Marquette. Do you have a link Clay Feet POF?

sagegrouse
03-31-2018, 11:38 AM
Creighton assistant Darian DeVries was hired to be the Drake basketball coach (https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2018/03/29/darian-devries-drake-mens-basketball-loyal-bulldogs-randy-peterson/469213002/). So Thorson is out of the running there.

However, I also was unable to find any info about Thorson (or anyone) replacing Carrawell at Marquette. Do you have a link Clay Feet POF?

Dave Thorson was a legendary (http://godrakebulldogs.com/news/2017/4/14/mens-basketball-names-thorson-and-blount-to-coaching-staff.aspx) HS coach in Minneapolis, coaching for 23 years with beaucoup state championships.

Clay Feet POF
03-31-2018, 03:28 PM

Not Yet. Maybe since CC to Duke was announced yesterday, Thorson to MU will follow (I'm not sure if Protocol is needed) Anyways MUScoop (fan forum) thinks it will happen.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-31-2018, 04:07 PM
Not Yet. Maybe since CC to Duke was announced yesterday, Thorson to MU will follow (I'm not sure if Protocol is needed) Anyways MUScoop (fan forum) thinks it will happen.

What do the fans on the MUScoop say about CC heading back to Duke? Do they generally support Wojo?

Clay Feet POF
03-31-2018, 07:53 PM
What do the fans on the MUScoop say about CC heading back to Duke? Do they generally support Wojo?

Their very Happy for CC and really hope it wasn't happening. Wondering what Thorson will bring and how close to CC he will come.

I think Wojo has a large support of the fans, but there is a faction that has an agenda which wants much faster progress and are looking at a 5 year window. But everything I hear is the BOT are very happy with the situation and the Program is Clean and the players love Wojo.

You might want to do your own sample reads on this site and see the culture differences that DBR and MUScoop present