PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Nate James and Jon Scheyer, Promoted to Associate Head Coaches

plimnko
03-27-2018, 09:27 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-promotes-james-scheyer-to-associate-head-coaches/17447538/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2018, 09:38 PM
That answers that.

mattman91
03-27-2018, 09:43 PM
So I'm assuming Nolan moves from special assistant to assistant?

Newton_14
03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
So I'm assuming Nolan moves from special assistant to assistant?

That would be my assumption. I would expect an announcement quickly following this one that states Nolan has been promoted to Assistant Coach filling the open slot. Which will be great as he could then coach the players in practice and of course hit the recruiting trail.

Ian
03-27-2018, 10:06 PM
That would be my assumption. I would expect an announcement quickly following this one that states Nolan has been promoted to Assistant Coach filling the open slot. Which will be great as he could then coach the players in practice and of course hit the recruiting trail.

Or Nolan is going to join Capel at Pitt.

mattman91
03-27-2018, 10:26 PM
Or Nolan is going to join Capel at Pitt.

We WILL NOT let him take the people's champ with him:cool:

hallcity
03-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Who takes over as acting head coach if Coach K is out due to illness or injury? I would guess Nate James but I haven't seen an answer to this not so hypothetical question.

weezie
03-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Who takes over as acting head coach if Coach K is out due to illness or injury? I would guess Nate James but I haven't seen an answer to this not so hypothetical question.

Ooooo, now there's a good question. Score for hallcity.

sagegrouse
03-28-2018, 09:24 AM

I dunno -- I hear more about Scheyer -- but I was impressed by this statement from Nate's bio:

James was part of nine major championships while playing at Duke: one NCAA title, three ACC Tournament championships and five regular-season ACC championships.

It appears that Nate had a medical redshirt in 1997-1998, while still playing in six games.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2018, 09:31 AM
I dunno -- I hear more about Scheyer -- but I was impressed by this statement from Nate's bio:

It appears that Nate had a medical redshirt in 1997-1998, while still playing in six games.

Well of course. Like the NCAA would say no to Nate.

nmduke2001
03-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Nate was part of the recruiting class that included Chris Carrawell and Mike Chappell in addition to Nate. Much like the incoming class, Nate, Chris and Mike were all guys with similar size that could play positions 2-4 if necessary. Nate was injured and received a "redshirt" one year and Mike transferred to MSU following his sophomore year.

Bluedevil114
03-28-2018, 11:11 AM
Will Coach K add another coach to his staff to help with recruiting and relating to the youth? If Shane Battier is not preparing to run in 2020 with Reggie Love as his Assistant President, I would love to see him added to the staff. Another guy that would be great is Elton Brand. Not sure they have any interest in coaching. Congrats to Capel. Congrats also to Jon and Nate.

SkyBrickey
03-28-2018, 11:14 AM
No idea if Shane has any interest in coaching - he may be done with basketball and on to bigger things. But if he is interested, this seems like a no-brainer for both sides. I expect Shane could work under K for 2 years and then be a prime candidate for any major D1 coaching job, including possibly Duke's...

Dev11
03-28-2018, 12:02 PM
With few exceptions, guys who leave basketball or coaching for long periods don't return. Hubert Davis is kind of the exception that proves the rule. I doubt that any of Shane Battier, Jay Williams, Grant Hill, or Christian Laettner is coming back to be a low paid assistant. If K is bringing in a former player, it will likely be somebody younger who has recently retired from playing, like Nolan and Jon before them.

CDu
03-28-2018, 12:33 PM
With few exceptions, guys who leave basketball or coaching for long periods don't return. Hubert Davis is kind of the exception that proves the rule. I doubt that any of Shane Battier, Jay Williams, Grant Hill, or Christian Laettner is coming back to be a low paid assistant. If K is bringing in a former player, it will likely be somebody younger who has recently retired from playing, like Nolan and Jon before them.

I think Laettner tried to get into coaching in the not-to-distant past. But I don't see guys like Williams or Battier making that switch.

And, honestly, I don't know if they'd be any good at it. Battier is certainly a smart guy and was a great college player. But is he a basketball coach? A lot of coaching isn't about being book-smart. There's the managing of egos, the skills of motivating players, etc.

Not saying he would be a bad coach. Just saying I don't know whether he'd be good at it or not.

But your point is good - these guys probably aren't going to come back to be college assistant coaches - even for their alma mater under their mentor.

hallcity
03-28-2018, 12:42 PM

Battier isn’t out of basketball. He works for the Miami Heat doing analytics. For that matter, Laettner isn’t out of basketball. Even though age has mellowed Lattner, I wouldn’t want him as a coach at Duke but he’s got a business coaching youth basketball now.

CDu
03-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Battier isn’t out of basketball. He works for the Miami Heat doing analytics. For that matter, Laettner isn’t out of basketball. Even though age has mellowed Lattner, I wouldn’t want him as a coach at Duke but he’s got a business coaching youth basketball now.

Battier seems like a great option to someday work in an NBA front office.

NM Duke Fan
03-28-2018, 12:58 PM

I would not at all mind seeing Laettner on the bench it could be an interesting "experiment." With his coaching of youth basketball I would imagine he has learned much about dealing with young players, and his Fire would have come in handy a few times this year!

kako
03-28-2018, 01:10 PM
If Smith was going to be promoted to assistant HC, wouldn't the announcement have said that? I would think he'd be good on the recruiting trail.

If he doesn't get it, hope it wasn't the suit... :p

IrishDevil
03-28-2018, 01:54 PM
If Smith was going to be promoted to assistant HC, wouldn't the announcement have said that? I would think he'd be good on the recruiting trail.

If he doesn't get it, hope it wasn't the suit... :p

I also noticed Nolan's absence from the Nate/Jon announcement. Has there been any word whether this indicates that Nolan is looking for other opportunities, at Pitt with Capel or elsewhere?

Nugget
03-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Will Coach K add another coach to his staff to help with recruiting and relating to the youth?

If this is the goal, then I think Nolan would be a superb choice. He was a very early adopter of social media and I recall great discussion of his relationship with Quinn Cook and his role as a leader given his experience having lost his father so young.

English
03-28-2018, 02:17 PM
Do we know how Gerald Henderson's recovery from injury (and return to an active NBA roster) is going? G has been around the program, and moonlighting as an ACCN announcer, so we know he hasn't lost the bug. Of course, a current NBA career is almost certainly preferable to a college coaching special assistant job, but I'm just planting the seed...

Troublemaker
03-28-2018, 02:18 PM
I also noticed Nolan's absence from the Nate/Jon announcement. Has there been any word whether this indicates that Nolan is looking for other opportunities, at Pitt with Capel or elsewhere?

Last time an assistant moved on to a head coaching job (Wojo), it took awhile for Duke to announce Scheyer's promotion from "special assistant," and actually some Duke fans were disappointed by the time the announcement finally came, thinking maybe we'd bring in someone with more experience. (Fast forward a couple of years and Scheyer's now apparently a hot coaching prospect.)

So, while anything is possible, I think the announcement of Nolan's promotion is forthcoming. We just might take our time with again for some reason.

COYS
03-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Last time an assistant moved on to a head coaching job (Wojo), it took awhile for Duke to announce Scheyer's promotion from "special assistant," and actually some Duke fans were disappointed by the time the announcement finally came, thinking maybe we'd bring in someone with more experience. (Fast forward a couple of years and Scheyer's now apparently a hot coaching prospect.)

So, while anything is possible, I think the announcement of Nolan's promotion is forthcoming. We just might take our time with again for some reason.

Someone with more knowledge can clarify this, but isn't the title of "Associate Head Coach" basically a Coach K invention? In other words, Coach K has decided to elevate the position of "assistant coach" to something more prestigious. However, practically speaking, Nate and Jon are probably not seeing a dramatic change in their responsibilities. I don't know exactly how Coach K assigns responsibilities, but we know that Jon has been heavily involved in recruiting for at least three years now. On the other hand, from what I understand the position of "special assistant" is different due to the restrictions the NCAA places on the number of assistant coaches a team is allowed. Nolan's duties would have been limited by NCAA rules (I don't think he was allowed to participate in recruiting trips or make calls, etc) meaning that promoting him to assistant coach would be a much bigger step up than essentially giving Nate and Jon new titles. That could account for the time lapse between Wojo's departure and Jon's promotion as well as the current delay for Nolan. Is it possible that there is even some sort of NCAA paperwork that needs to be filed to official make Nolan a full assistant?

DukeWarhead
03-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Bring back Zoubs. You know what they say, "You can't coach height, but height can coach." Actually, they don't say that. I made it up. But bring Zoubs back anyway. We need some height on our bench.

PSurprise
03-28-2018, 04:12 PM
Someone with more knowledge can clarify this, but isn't the title of "Associate Head Coach" basically a Coach K invention? In other words, Coach K has decided to elevate the position of "assistant coach" to something more prestigious. However, practically speaking, Nate and Jon are probably not seeing a dramatic change in their responsibilities. I don't know exactly how Coach K assigns responsibilities, but we know that Jon has been heavily involved in recruiting for at least three years now. On the other hand, from what I understand the position of "special assistant" is different due to the restrictions the NCAA places on the number of assistant coaches a team is allowed. Nolan's duties would have been limited by NCAA rules (I don't think he was allowed to participate in recruiting trips or make calls, etc) meaning that promoting him to assistant coach would be a much bigger step up than essentially giving Nate and Jon new titles. That could account for the time lapse between Wojo's departure and Jon's promotion as well as the current delay for Nolan. Is it possible that there is even some sort of NCAA paperwork that needs to be filed to official make Nolan a full assistant?

One has tenure, the other doesn't. :p

sagegrouse
03-28-2018, 04:24 PM
Do we know how Gerald Henderson's recovery from injury (and return to an active NBA roster) is going? G has been around the program, and moonlighting as an ACCN announcer, so we know he hasn't lost the bug. Of course, a current NBA career is almost certainly preferable to a college coaching special assistant job, but I'm just planting the seed...

Basketball Reference dot Com shows $37 million in salary through this year. I dunno what his prospects are when he recovers. Are there enough savings to avoid the hassle of being a college assistant? I dunno, but he might rather do something else.

DukeWarhead
03-28-2018, 06:02 PM
I think David McClure has been in a player development role with the Indiana Pacers for a couple years. Just sayin'. Not a bad resume for the end of the coaching bench.

ipatent
03-28-2018, 06:52 PM
Basketball Reference dot Com shows $37 million in salary through this year. I dunno what his prospects are when he recovers. Are there enough savings to avoid the hassle of being a college assistant? I dunno, but he might rather do something else.

G was broadcasting some of the early season games on the ACC Network. That may be his preferred post-pro career choice.