PDA

View Full Version : Dahntay Jones waived

SlimSlowSlider
10-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Celtics cut Dahntay yesterday (and Jackie Manuel, too). They went for potential - Brandon Wallace - instead of a guy who could contribute now. Too bad. Hope he lands somewhere.

From the Boston Globe:

The Celtics waived veteran guard Dahntay Jones and rookie guard Jackie Manuel yesterday while rookie forward Brandon "Grasshopper" Wallace landed the 14th roster spot. The Celtics still are one shy of a maximum 15-man roster, which allows them to add a player if needed. Coach Doc Rivers said Tuesday that cuts would be made next week, but changed his mind and asked director of basketball operations Danny Ainge to make roster moves.

"You never want to release guys," Rivers said after yesterday's practice. "But I thought we needed to get down to the numbers we're starting the season with. That was important for me. The Dahntay decision was the toughest because he is a veteran and he could probably help our team more. Maybe later Brandon can, not even this year. That's a tough one."

Clipsfan
10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Rivers is known to be an awful coach, but that statement is really surprising. They've put together a team that needs to win now, yet they're cutting the guys who can help now so that they can keep guys who may be able to help in a few years.

Oriole Way
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Sucks for Dahntay. He wasn't even given a shot to show what he can do, as he would get 4 or 5 minutes a night max in their preseason games. He was quite productive in limited duty for Memphis last year, so I'm not sure what he needs to do to stick somewhere.

YmoBeThere
11-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Anyone heard of what is going on now with Dahntay?

dukemomLA
11-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Both D. Jones and J. Manual could have contributed great stuff. Boo to the Celtics. Bad decisions.

4decadedukie
11-06-2007, 06:12 AM
I am truly sorry to learn this; I don't really care what it does to the Celts, but I certainly hope Dahntay lands a good, long-term deal.