PDA

View Full Version : What I hate about the seasons that end in a loss....

Billy Dat
03-26-2018, 06:04 PM
I am still so down and sad about the season coming to an end and I am not finding any comfort. If anything, the message boards can be a constant trigger, so I am diving in with both feet and I hope some of you will join me.

What I hate about the seasons that end in a loss....

Team specific..
-That it's the last time we'll see this team play
-That it's the last time we'll see a lot of these players play
-That the team has no chance to keep growing
-That the last game we have to watch typically represents not the best version of the team

Media specific
-That the media coverage of the tournament marches on without us
-That the media coverage in the immediate aftermath is focused on how we came up short and why any smart person could see it was headed this way
-Per the above, how Coach K got "owned"

DBR specific
-The "I told you so" pundits almost relishing the loss to support their pet theory as to why Duke isn't Duke anymore
-The cranky and nitpicky arguments over picayune matters that no would would chose to fight about if we were still playing (granted, that is the nature of message boards but it hits a peak)
-The immediate NBA draft talk and the backlash against immediate NBA draft talk
-The arguments for why likely-to-leave players should stay and the scorn thrown at these optimists/dreamers

Please join me...

22JumpShots
03-26-2018, 06:08 PM
I am still so down and sad about the season coming to an end and I am not finding any comfort. If anything, the message boards can be a constant trigger, so I am diving in with both feet and I hope some of you will join me.

What I hate about the seasons that end in a loss...

Team specific..
-That the last game we have to watch typically represents not the best version of the team

Media specific
-That the media coverage in the immediate aftermath is focused on how we came up short and why any smart person could see it was headed this way

DBR specific
-The "I told you so" pundits almost relishing the loss to support their pet theory as to why Duke isn't Duke anymore
-The cranky and nitpicky arguments over picayune matters that no would would chose to fight about if we were still playing (granted, that is the nature of message boards but it hits a peak)
-The arguments for why likely-to-leave players should stay and the scorn thrown at these optimists/dreamers

Please join me...

Well said, friend. I agree on ALL fronts. Last night I didn't mind, but today I am pissed. carolina fans from work coming out of the wood-works just to tell you they are sorry when they really just want to see how sad you are. This sucks......

Edit - ......that "call" on Wendell, man.........seriously.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-26-2018, 06:23 PM
I'm so down I won't even watch The Masters....because Jim Nantz' voice will remind me we were not in the Final Four...and I won't be over it by then....

unclsam1
03-26-2018, 06:34 PM
And when the only alternative news for distraction the day after the loss is something like the continuous coverage of Stormy Daniels.

MarkD83
03-26-2018, 06:36 PM

Team specific..

Media specific

DBR specific

Please join me...

I hope this gives you some solace but it may be too soon....the areas I have highlighted are under your control. The others you can ignore to various degrees (at least I do).

For the one's I chose to ignore how many of them depend upon some "experts" view of the EXPECTATIONS for a team vs enjoying the journey of the team. I no longer pay attention to expectations that are based on pundits opinions. It makes the un-highlighted issues easy to deal with.

In terms of the highlighted issues....keep in mind that over 38 years of Coach K coaching there were NO two teams that were identical. The nature of the college game is that players leave every year. But wait...1991 and 1992 were lead by the same core players. True but there were additional players beyond the core that were added and subtracted.

So yes all of the things that you mentioned about the team are true but they are true every year even after the 5 national championships. The championships just diminish the "pain". So embrace the change...and remember the wins, there were 29 of them......

DukieInKansas
03-26-2018, 06:41 PM
This year it is especially hard because all the local news coverage will feature some mythical birds going to San Antonio.

chrishoke
03-26-2018, 07:10 PM
Part of my pain comes from my decision two months ago to plan a spring break trip for my wife and I to San Antonio including tickets to the final four. I have never done that (final 4 trip) in 55 years as a Duke basketball and football season ticket holder. Yes, I recognized at the time that there was a very good chance Duke would not make the final four. We would obviously still enjoy the warm weather and the river walk and other entertainment and fun activities of San Antonio and surrounding areas (my wife found some great bird watching excursions). I did not however anticipate how painful it would be to have Duke come so maddeningly close to securing a spot in San Antonio. I may never get over it - there is not enough bee in Texas. Damn.

Billy Dat
03-26-2018, 07:13 PM
Part of my pain comes from my decision two months ago to plan a spring break trip for my wife and I to San Antonio including tickets to the final four. I have never done that (final 4 trip) in 55 years as a Duke basketball and football season ticket holder. Yes, I recognized at the time that there was a very good chance Duke would not make the final four. We would obviously still enjoy the warm weather and the river walk and other entertainment and fun activities of San Antonio and surrounding areas (my wife found some great bird watching excursions). I did not however anticipate how painful it would be to have Duke come so maddeningly close to securing a spot in San Antonio. I may never get over it - there is not enough bee in Texas. Damn.

Grace Slick sums it up all in your avatar photo!!!!

weezie
03-26-2018, 07:22 PM
...That the media coverage in the immediate aftermath is focused on how we came up short and why any smart person could see it was headed this way
...how Coach K got "owned"...

I'm with follyblue from the Grayson Allen appreciation thread, "All the haters can go pound sand" including, first and foremost, the sports media boobs chewing their own intestines in glee.

Billy, you have said in the past that we must relish these remaining games with K.

It's hard today, sure, but what he has shown us, and of course shown his teams many times over, is how to handle defeat and hold your head high. Leave it all out there on the court if you're a team member. Leave it eyes leveled and smiling if you're a fan, even if there are a few tears in those eyes.

Chins up Duke Fans! Thank the good Lord above that you are Blue Devils and that you wear the Pantone 283-289.

Reilly
03-26-2018, 09:24 PM
... The cranky and nitpicky arguments ...

So you're saying you prefer puns?

Scorp4me
03-26-2018, 10:08 PM
I actually read a great article that said this loss had nothing to do with anything but being a great game. A #1 vs a #2. Kansas vs Duke. It was a great article and spot on. Basically said if Allen's shot had gone in at the end of regulation no one would have anything to say and no one should have anything to say simply because it rimmed out.

To make it even better the comments were nothing but people posting with glee that Duke lost...God I hope they never stop hating Duke!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-26-2018, 10:30 PM

Ouch, I feel for ya....that would make it painful, but you took a chance and it almost paid off big time. I gotta respect that!

I think what makes it tough for me is that with the end of the K era coming in the not too distant future, and the OAD era probably coming to an end soon too (which over all is a good thing) - Duke is likely facing a really rough transition, the end of an era. I hope it's not that rough, but I think we have to understand that possibility it might be.

So I think I was really hoping that this team and next, with all those recruits, could form another back to back chapter for K and Duke...so that he could leave Duke as the consensus GOAT, and with Duke having more total titles than the cheats, and with a trumping of their title last year.

It would also have been neat for Grayson to end up with bookend titles for his career too. Losing those 3 possibilities last night is a tough one to swallow.

Billy Dat
03-27-2018, 12:24 PM
I hate that the coaches that we have grown to rely on may have coached their last game (for now) at Duke.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-27-2018, 12:39 PM
I hate that the coaches that we have grown to rely on may have coached their last game (for now) at Duke.

When they leave, it opens up a spot for another former player looking for an opportunity. Brey was the last non player K had on the staff.

pfrduke
03-27-2018, 12:47 PM
When they leave, it opens up a spot for another former player looking for an opportunity. Brey was the last non player K had on the staff.

I know it will probably never happen, and maybe it wouldn't make any difference anyway, but I have long desired for at least some presence from "outside" the program on the bench. I don't really have anyone specific in mind, but bringing in viewpoints that have not grown up within Duke basketball could have a lot of benefits.

Duke76
03-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Ouch, I feel for ya...that would make it painful, but you took a chance and it almost paid off big time. I gotta respect that!

I think what makes it tough for me is that with the end of the K era coming in the not too distant future, and the OAD era probably coming to an end soon too (which over all is a good thing) - Duke is likely facing a really rough transition, the end of an era. I hope it's not that rough, but I think we have to understand that possibility it might be.

So I think I was really hoping that this team and next, with all those recruits, could form another back to back chapter for K and Duke...so that he could leave Duke as the consensus GOAT, and with Duke having more total titles than the cheats, and with a trumping of their title last year.

It would also have been neat for Grayson to end up with bookend titles for his career too. Losing those 3 possibilities last night is a tough one to swallow.

that's the regret I have, well said. but maybe it was the basketball gods giving a little reprieve to the haters....they would have had sudden deaths had Grayson and K been allowed that

jacone21
03-27-2018, 03:59 PM

The fact that it happens almost every year.

Billy Dat
03-27-2018, 04:35 PM
I hate that I have to go back to watching the Knicks.

devil84
03-27-2018, 04:53 PM
I know it will probably never happen, and maybe it wouldn't make any difference anyway, but I have long desired for at least some presence from "outside" the program on the bench. I don't really have anyone specific in mind, but bringing in viewpoints that have not grown up within Duke basketball could have a lot of benefits.

If it's any consolation, I think USA Basketball has filled that void nicely. I mean, we did play zone this year, so there had to be outside influence!

I also noticed that Capel ran things a bit differently in Coach K's absence. Not dramatically, but noticeably different, so he's not just toeing the party line. If a player alumnus had any coaching or professional playing experience anywhere else before they became a staff member, there are plenty of opportunities for exposure to new ideas. Former players will also know best how to approach presenting new ideas to Coach K. He's not inflexible, but like any boss, it helps to know his/her idiosyncrasies when pitching ideas.