PDA

View Full Version : Scheyer offered Pitt HC position?

BlueTeuf
03-26-2018, 04:01 AM
That's what this article claims:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/report-pitt-offers-coaching-job-to-ex-duke-star-scheyer/ar-BBKHumN?ocid=spartandhp

Billy Dat
03-26-2018, 07:28 AM
Hopefully he'll stay away. Taking an in-conference job would be brutal, especially that job right now.

Owen Meany
03-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Scherer appeared prominently on a list of up and coming young coaches(as voted by other coaches). I would personally like to see him start of in a better situation. FWIW, the initial rumor on this claimed Coach K was pushing him for the position. Can't remember the source, but someone followed up and said, emphatically, that Scheyer could possibly be considered but that he had not been offered the job.

weezie
03-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Sheesh, your first step onto the head coaching stage is at a disaster program school going head to head with your mentor the GOAT and with an infant in tow?

DangerDevil
03-26-2018, 09:13 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulZeise

Paul Zeise from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette tweeted last night that Scheyer has not been offered the job:

“OK here is what I can confirm. Any reports suggesting Jon Scheyer has been offered the Pitt head coaching job are emphatically and absolutely not true. Could Pitt potentially talk to him at some point? Who knows but this stuff about him being offered the job is just not true.”

HereBeforeCoachK
03-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Hopefully he'll stay away. Taking an in-conference job would be brutal, especially that job right now.

It would be brutal, but low risk......there would be NO expectations for quite a while. And because of how they treated their last coach, they will have to offer safe long term deal to anyone. It may not be a bad situation for Scheyer, given those variables.

CDu
03-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Sheesh, your first step onto the head coaching stage is at a disaster program school going head to head with your mentor the GOAT and with an infant in tow?

I actually don't know that it is as bad a gig as it may seem at first glance.

For one thing, it's an ACC job, and the money will be very good.

For another, because the program is bottomed out right now, there will be zero pressure. Whoever coaches at Pitt the next couple of years is going to take some lumps for sure. But they are going to have a lot of job security, as the program knows it is in a complete rebuild. You simply don't find Power-6 jobs with that little pressure very often. Especially for a first-time head coach. You basically skip the "pay your dues" stage and get a no-risk shot to be a prime time coach. And you get paid way more to do it than you would at a mid-major.

For another, the conference is getting VERY close to losing the big-name coaches at several prominent programs (Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Miami, FSU), and none have clear succession plans that lock in success moving forward. While I'd like to believe that Duke will just keep on churning great teams once Coach K leaves, that is at best an uncertainty. When Boeheim leaves, Syracuse probably falls off dramatically. When Williams leaves, UNC doesn't have a clear next guy. When K leaves, there are a couple of options, but none have established themselves as clearly dominant options. Miami will almost certainly fall off dramatically when Larranaga leaves. Same for FSU when Hamilton retires. The window to build up a program to be ready once those guys leave is open.

Dev11
03-26-2018, 01:06 PM
For another, because the program is bottomed out right now, there will be zero pressure. Whoever coaches at Pitt the next couple of years is going to take some lumps for sure. But they are going to have a lot of job security, as the program knows it is in a complete rebuild. You simply don't find Power-6 jobs with that little pressure very often. Especially for a first-time head coach. You basically skip the "pay your dues" stage and get a no-risk shot to be a prime time coach. And you get paid way more to do it than you would at a mid-major.

For another, the conference is getting VERY close to losing the big-name coaches at several prominent programs (Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Miami, FSU), and none have clear succession plans that lock in success moving forward. While I'd like to believe that Duke will just keep on churning great teams once Coach K leaves, that is at best an uncertainty. When Boeheim leaves, Syracuse probably falls off dramatically. When Williams leaves, UNC doesn't have a clear next guy. When K leaves, there are a couple of options, but none have established themselves as clearly dominant options. Miami will almost certainly fall off dramatically when Larranaga leaves. Same for FSU when Hamilton retires. The window to build up a program to be ready once those guys leave is open.

Your first point above is valid as long as the administration and fans are on board with the scope of the rebuild. If I'm Scheyer, I'm not going for fewer than six years on a contract. Anything less tells me that they aren't serious about fixing whatever is wrong is there, and based on the way they let Jamie Dixon leave just a couple years ago, I'm not convinced that the stakeholders feel as you do right now.

That six year requirement leads nicely to your second point, because I think by that fourth or fifth season, there will be a lot of new faces among those programs. It's an intriguing job with the right contract.

As for Scheyer, I'm not sure he should be in a rush to leave. He's still young and could spend more time learning from K and getting a lot of credit for recruiting stud classes every year, so his reputation isn't likely to regress in the near future, like it might if he was a low level D-1 coach who made one miraculous tournament run. If he was in his 40s, it might be a different story. If Nate James is interested in becoming a head coach, he should be looking in the next few years for that first job.

CDu
03-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Your first point above is valid as long as the administration and fans are on board with the scope of the rebuild. If I'm Scheyer, I'm not going for fewer than six years on a contract. Anything less tells me that they aren't serious about fixing whatever is wrong is there, and based on the way they let Jamie Dixon leave just a couple years ago, I'm not convinced that the stakeholders feel as you do right now.

Definitely would want a long-term contract. But worth noting that the administration that was in place when Dixon left (and the one who hired Stallings) is no longer there. They hired a new AD last Spring. So this will be her first bball hire.

throatybeard
03-26-2018, 02:05 PM
I have a hard time believing that, going forward, any school in a power conference will actually give their hire a five to six year window. Time after time ADs say the right stuff at hiring time, and then fire the guy in year three anyway.

Reilly
03-26-2018, 02:47 PM
... If Nate James is interested in becoming a head coach, he should be looking in the next few years for that first job.

I believe Nate is on-call 24/7 defending the universe from evildoers, and coaching is just a side gig.

Dev11
03-26-2018, 03:03 PM
I have a hard time believing that, going forward, any school in a power conference will actually give their hire a five to six year window. Time after time ADs say the right stuff at hiring time, and then fire the guy in year three anyway.

Sure, but at least in those cases, they still get their money, and when they interview in the future, they have a better explanation of their vision for their potential future employer. "See, I had this plan laid out, we were on track, and then I got canned because my bosses changed the expectations" as opposed to "yeah I guess it didn't work out great at the other school, but just hire me anyway and I'll be great!"

On the news front, CBS is reporting that Jon isn't actually a candidate for the Pitt job: https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/978341741781831680?s=09