PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Topic Ideas???

DukeBlue666s
03-25-2018, 10:42 PM
Well, with the heart breaking loss, it looks like we have a good 6-7 months of not too much to talk about. Reading this thread is one of my top 3-5 things to do every day (boring life much?!) and this forum basically goes into shut down until about a month before the season starts back up.

I absolutely HATE not having anything fun to read regarding Duke during the summer! Anyone have any good ideas of things/games we could do on this forum during the off-season?

AZLA
03-26-2018, 12:30 AM
Well, with the heart breaking loss, it looks like we have a good 6-7 months of not too much to talk about. Reading this thread is one of my top 3-5 things to do every day (boring life much?!) and this forum basically goes into shut down until about a month before the season starts back up.

I absolutely HATE not having anything fun to read regarding Duke during the summer! Anyone have any good ideas of things/games we could do on this forum during the off-season?

Is it time to jump on the Loyola Sister Jean Chicago fun wagon? If not Loyola do you cheer for Kansas?

Let’s talk about planning for MAUI INVITATIONAL!

Augusta — why is Tiger favored and can his experience give him the ultimate comeback at the Masters?

If not Tiger than whom?

NBA Draft: Will Bagley make it back home and play for the “trrrrrrrrble” Suns?

Will a Duke Alumnus change the course and culture of NCAA basketball by changing NBA policy and enticing top high school talent to jump into the NBA system.

Which college programs would benefit from said change?

fuse
03-26-2018, 06:55 AM
The Ymm, Beer thread is always in season.

Post count on that thread would have jumped 250+ if half the people that posted in the postgame thread described the beer in which they were seeking solace :rolleyes:

flyingdutchdevil
03-26-2018, 08:06 AM
Is it time to jump on the Loyola Sister Jean Chicago fun wagon? If not Loyola do you cheer for Kansas?

Augusta — why is Tiger favored and can his experience give him the ultimate comeback at the Masters?

If not Tiger than whom?

NBA Draft: Will Bagley make it back home and play for the “trrrrrrrrble” Suns?

Will a Duke Alumnus change the course and culture of NCAA basketball by changing NBA policy and enticing top high school talent to jump into the NBA system.

Which college programs would benefit from said change?

I have no issues with the 4 teams in the FF. 'Nova is the best example of a college program over the last 5 years. They are doing it with experience and incredible player development. Kansas looks like a vintage Duke team: experienced, 3pt shooters, amazing coaching, players buying into their roles. Loyola-Chicago is the quintessential Cinderalla. And Michigan is a likable Big 10 team without any flash and all substance.

There is still some college ball left. Let's enjoy that.

weezie
03-26-2018, 08:08 AM
Maui did distract me for five minutes last night.

Golf: no.

Baseball: not this year in Detroit, alhtough I do have tix for 5/16 yankees @ nats.

Tom Brady's next hairstyle, nope.

Mid-term elections: gawd no, please no.

But husband-of-weezie did declare that we can't give up on the Devils now so we're in for another year of ID membership.

devildeac
03-26-2018, 08:26 AM
The Ymm, Beer thread is always in season.

Post count on that thread would have jumped 250+ if half the people that posted in the postgame thread described the beer in which they were seeking solace :rolleyes:

(raises pint/tulip glass to the erudite fuse)

;)

60sDukie
03-26-2018, 08:49 AM
How about Duke baseball? Boys are doing quite well this year (ranked). Games are easy to watch via ESPN Extra (or whatever it is called),

elvis14
03-26-2018, 09:03 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone around here for a great season. Appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts along the way.

I'm going to try and spend much less time on DBR in the off season. I'm trying really hard today to post very little and not post what I'm really thinking because it's not good and I realize that I'm still very very very emotional about last night's unfortunate loss.

TruBlu
03-26-2018, 09:28 AM
1) Spring football. Preseason football practice. Do we expect better 3 point shooting . . . er, I mean kicking game?

2) Lax

3) Baseball

4). Next year’s minutes. (Loud audible groan!!!!)

uh_no
03-26-2018, 10:08 AM
1) the adjusted CPDE, or coffee per day efficiency. Obviously the adjustment is based on the strength of the coffee and the difficulty of sleeping the night before
2) Dunk City....counting the collective number of slams thrown down by DBR posters during the off season.....this one might fall off the front page.
3) Beer...Thanks to the work of devildeac, discussion of beer is now always on-topic. What new brews should DBR nation keep an eye out for
4) Vrank Jersey Retirement. Yeah, I know he comes short of any real or imaginary requirements for retirement....but I like him, so he should be in the rafters. (Someone on DBR, probably)
5) Vigil vigil. Keeping watch in preparation for whatever injury befalls any of our recruits, returnees, or coaches.
6) Are OAD a good thing and should we pay the players? Guys, we'll really get to a definitive answer this time!
7) It's over. Why wait for the season to start shedding hope?
8) does anyone have the full schedule yet? No. we don't. when someone has it, they'll post it.
9) F

jv001
03-26-2018, 10:20 AM
1) the adjusted CPDE, or coffee per day efficiency. Obviously the adjustment is based on the strength of the coffee and the difficulty of sleeping the night before
2) Dunk City...counting the collective number of slams thrown down by DBR posters during the off season....this one might fall off the front page.
3) Beer...Thanks to the work of devildeac, discussion of beer is now always on-topic. What new brews should DBR nation keep an eye out for
4) Vrank Jersey Retirement. Yeah, I know he comes short of any real or imaginary requirements for retirement...but I like him, so he should be in the rafters. (Someone on DBR, probably)
5) Vigil vigil. Keeping watch in preparation for whatever injury befalls any of our recruits, returnees, or coaches.
6) Are OAD a good thing and should we pay the players? Guys, we'll really get to a definitive answer this time!
8) does anyone have the full schedule yet? No. we don't. when someone has it, they'll post it.
9) F

I'm all in on the last one on your list. 9F all year round. :cool:GoDuke!

CDu
03-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Aside from trying to finish my dissertation, one thing I'm going to take a look at this summer is historical possession stats (pace of play, efficiency type of stuff). Not for any particular reason, just as a way to get a sense of how the game has evolved over the years.

devildeac
03-26-2018, 11:09 AM
2) Dunk City...counting the collective number of slams thrown down by DBR posters during the off season...this one might fall off the front page.
4) Vrank Jersey Retirement. Yeah, I know he comes short of any real or imaginary requirements for retirement...but I like him, so he should be in the rafters. (Someone on DBR, probably)
9) F

1) 1-2 per day for me with little variance WRT # of hours of sleep the night before-I'm a physician but rarely get called after hours with the way we have our coverage arranged.
2) DUnks-depends whether we're talking on the court or in my coffee or milk (no, I am not sean may)
3) You're welcome. There are plenty of other valuable contributors who make that thread a lot of fun and educational. Y'all know where the thread is. Come join us.
4) Please step away from your keyboard.
5) NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6) Staying out of that discussion.
7) See 5), then we can say that.
8) Wait til August. Or September.
9) F. Clever. Always.

uh_no
03-26-2018, 11:25 AM
1) 1-2 per day for me with little variance WRT # of hours of sleep the night before-I'm a physician but rarely get called after hours with the way we have our coverage arranged.
2) DUnks-depends whether we're talking on the court or in my coffee or milk (no, I am not sean may)
3) You're welcome. There are plenty of other valuable contributors who make that thread a lot of fun and educational. Y'all know where the thread is. Come join us.
4) Please step away from your keyboard.
5) NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6) Staying out of that discussion.
7) See 5), then we can say that.
8) Wait til August. Or September.
9) F. Clever. Always.

I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to get to 9 :) (ideally a bourbon barrel....aging a fine stout)

devildeac
03-26-2018, 11:42 AM
I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to get to 9 :) (ideally a bourbon barrel...aging a fine stout)

Bourbon barrel-aged tripels are mighty fine, too. ;)

Wander
03-26-2018, 11:42 AM

This thread caused me to look about the Maui tournament and learn that Chaminade won't be in the 8-team bracket for the first time. How lame is that?