PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Allen Appreciation

Dev11
03-25-2018, 07:49 PM
I don't have a lot to say, but I'm sure others will. Grayson Allen went through a lot of silly garbage from opposing fans for four years, but he leaves Duke with a degree and a national championship ring that nobody would have earned without his contributions. Best of luck, Grayson.

moonpie23
03-25-2018, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all that you have given for duke, GA......wishing you all the best that life has to offer......

drummerdevil
03-25-2018, 08:01 PM
I have fought with so many people over whether or not Grayson Allen is a good person. I hate the way he has been treated by the media for losing his head a couple times.

Thank you, Grayson, for four amazing years. I don't know if we will ever have another four year player as good as you. You might be the end of an era, but you are forever in my heart.

DukeBlue666s
03-25-2018, 08:06 PM
He will go down as my favorite Duke player ever. Even named my second son after him!

superdave
03-25-2018, 08:19 PM
National Champion
Academic All American

That's pretty remarkable.

Thank you, #3!!!

Ultrarunner
03-25-2018, 08:22 PM
Many thanks to Grayson. It's been a pleasure watching him grow as a young man.

kAzE
03-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Grayson! Thanks for the amazing memories, and all the hard work you put in these 4 years.

Can't wait to see you doing your thing in the NBA!

grossbus
03-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Agree. Thanks Grayson.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-25-2018, 08:29 PM
If that shot bounces in instead of out, we are watching Duke for another weekend. I would not trade that shot for anything.

Thanks Grayson!

DangerDevil
03-25-2018, 08:37 PM
He will go down as my favorite Duke player ever. Even named my second son after him!

3 years ago my wife and I joked about trying to have a 3rd child so we could name him/her Grayson.

I couldn’t imagine that I would grow to like Grayson even more as a player and person.

I wish the storybook ending would have followed the script and his shot would have gone down and given us a another weekend of Grayson in a Duke Jersey.

I will remember #3 for a long time!

dalmatians98
03-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Thank you, Grayson, for taking us on a remarkable four year journey. I'm really going to miss seeing you next season.

hudlow
03-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Rock on Grayson!
I'm convinced you gave it all you had... and we had fun.

Thanks

pamtar
03-25-2018, 08:57 PM
I appreciate everything Grayson gave to Duke. But I’m also glad to see him go. I’m fully aware that the media blew his antics out of proportion, but honestly, he brought that on himself. I know he’s just a kid and I wish the best for him. I hope he makes a big name for himself in the league. I also know that he’s not a bad person and that at heart he’s everything we would want a Duke player to be. That said, what he did 5-6 six times was selfish. It distracted his teammates and it affected the outcome of multiple games. He has a problem with his emotions and he hopefully seeking help for that. I know that character well because I also have that issue.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a Grayson Allen hate post. I see myself in him and genuinely hope he can move past all the negativity surrounding his on-court persona. But I’m also really glad we don’t have to worry about him making a scene anymore. And fwiw, I’ll defend him whenever I hear a bad word about him.

weezie
03-25-2018, 09:15 PM
Grayson Allen, you made this old Blue Devil proud. You are one of ours forever. Thank you for all the hard work and your huge heart.

Congratulations Grayson, we'll miss you!

follyblue
03-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Grayson is the best. All the haters can go pound sand. I love him and hope he excels at the next level.

Henderson
03-25-2018, 09:25 PM
I can't say enough good things about this guy. Duke guy. Grayson if you read these things, thanks.

I wish he had a group of 3-4 other seniors to go out with. I'll bet he does too.

tfk53
03-25-2018, 09:36 PM
Grayson has grown from an adolescent to an adult in front of our eyes, on one of the biggest stages of sport. His successes and his stumbles were out there for all to view. I see someone who has matured tremendously with more growth yet to come, wherever the future takes him. I will miss #3 and his energy and enthusiasm, his talent and skill, his will to win. I wish him the best - be it in or out of basketball.

jv001
03-25-2018, 10:01 PM
Miss you already Grayson and the last game is not even one day old. I wish the very best for you and God bless you young man. You're one of my favorite Duke players. GoDuke!

Pghdukie
03-25-2018, 10:11 PM
I hope I get the opportunity to buy Grayson a tall cold one and say Thank You !

ipatent
03-25-2018, 10:13 PM
I'll never forget how he was the sparkplug in the '15 title game. Thanks for staying four years, Grayson.

cruxer
03-25-2018, 10:19 PM
He chose to stay when, before his shenanigans, ESPN had already labeled him a Duke villain. He seemed to soak up every second of being a student and a big time athlete at Duke. He's even got Shakespearean flaws!

We should be grateful we got to see him grow up over 4 years. He can be grateful he stayed in a more nurturing environment to help him get past his demons. What can I say? Hang the jersey.

scottdude8
03-25-2018, 10:20 PM
If that one shot drops, I think right now we’re having a spirited debate about whether No. 3 should be raised to the rafters. That says a lot about Grayson and what he meant to this program, regardless of whether or not his number actually is retired.

I’ll be telling my kids about where I was when I watched Grayson Allen play. As much as he’s hurting right now, I hope Grayson will one day realize how special that is, and how special that makes him.

WHOneedsSOX
03-25-2018, 10:27 PM
He lived his dream. He wanted to go to Duke since he was a little kid and brought a national title to Duke. Will always be one of my favorite Duke players. Hope he has a long and successful career in the NBA.

kako
03-25-2018, 11:08 PM
Diving for that loose ball against Wisconsin. Jumping back up and screaming like a maniac, "Let's Go!" Without him, I truly believe we would only have 4 national championships now.

Best of luck to him in the NBA. Silence the haters.

Listen to Quants
03-26-2018, 12:04 AM
Best of luck indeed, to our Mr. Allen. Passion, he has, and I wish we had him all over again.

SoCalDukeFan
03-26-2018, 12:06 AM
Grayson, we don't win in 2015 without your performance in the NC game. Four great years. Academic All American. Thanks for all you did. Best of luck in the future.

SoCal

Ian
03-26-2018, 12:14 AM
My number 1 reason for being bummed about the loss is that I wanted him to leave his last game a winner for all the crap he took because he wore a Duke uniform. Didn't work out but still a fantastic career and a champion. Good luck to him.

rdearth15
03-26-2018, 12:28 AM
I can’t beleive it’s over.

It seems like just yesterday he was the spark that won our 5th title. Grayson will always hold a special place in my heart because of how special that title game was for me. I grew up watching every single Duke game with my Grandfather. We never missed a game together. Typically, the season ends as it did today, with a lot of “what if’s”, reflection, and sorrow. That year, that night, it did not. That was the last game I ever got to watch with my Grandfather due to him passing away shortly before the 2015-2016 season began. I can still see the joy in his eyes when we won that night and his excitement over what he thought Grayson would become over the next 3 years. Even though he didn’t get to see it, the love for Duke basketball and a certain #3 have been passed down to my sons and we now don’t miss a game together.

So as Grayson leaves, in my mind and heart, an era ends. He was the last player that I could point to as having watched play with my Grandfather.

Grayson, thank you for the memories. They will stay with me forever. I’m so glad you were a part of Duke and got to live your dream.

g-money
03-26-2018, 12:44 AM
Grayson, thank you so much for everything you gave to Duke over the past four years. It was awesome to watch you learn to channel your energy, regain your love for the game, and grow into a leader at Duke.

I see a bright future ahead. With a little bit more work on your outside shot, you can be a younger version of Klay Thompson: Great shooter, great defender, good driver. I would not be suprised to see you win an NBA 3-point shooting contest someday.

Godspeed!

DUKEinFW
03-26-2018, 01:12 AM
Grayson you make us all proud. Thanks for being you! What a great leader and mentor for this team. You will look back years from now and know these last few years are the ones that made you such a better person...maybe you know that now! Thanks for all the great times you gave us the past 4 seasons

JNort
03-26-2018, 01:21 AM
Grayson was a true Dukie! He always played with heart, gave it his all and never backed down from a challenge. He was forced to play a different role every year and he never complained once in 4 years. He dealt with the hate and bad media (some warranted I might add) with class. He will be remembered as a model student, champion, leader and a true Dukie for life!

You shall truly be missed!

luburch
03-26-2018, 06:36 AM
One of my favorite Duke players ever. There are so many things I'll remember from his time at Duke. The 2015 title game, his sophomore game winner against Virginia, his performance against Carolina in the ACCT as a junior on the way to the conference title game, his 37 against MSU in the Champions Classic, beating Carolina on senior night. The list goes on and on.

Most of all, I'll remember how much he loved Duke. How he could have left early, should have left early, but he came back knowing everything he would have to put up with. He came back because he loves Duke University. He graduates as an All-American and a national champion.

I am beyond thankful that Grayson Allen was a Duke Blue Devil.

MPandolfi
03-26-2018, 06:38 AM
There isn’t much to say that hasn’t already been said. He exemplified what it meant to be a student athlete - going out as a champion, an academic All-American, and in a few week a college graduate.

He was a fiery, emotional player on the court, and it got him into some trouble as we all know. But he’s also shy, soft spoken, well-mannered, and I doubt you’d be able to find someone that would speak poorly of him off-the-court.

Loses happen to every team but one, but this one hurts more than most because it’s the last time he’ll wear those four letters across his chest.

Good luck, Grayson. You wore those four letters across your chest proudly and achieved things that no one can take from you.

fuse
03-26-2018, 07:00 AM
I’m not emotionally prepared to contribute on how much I enjoyed watching Grayson play.

All I have is Coach K is correct- not likely to see another 4 year player as talented and as fun to watch in the remainder of K’s tenure.

BigZ
03-26-2018, 09:06 AM
Great kid and forever a Blue Devil.

DukeTrinity11
03-26-2018, 09:31 AM
It's the end of an era for Duke. We all wanted this so badly for G but sometimes life has other plans.

Good luck on your next endeavor Grayson, whatever it may be.

porkpa
03-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Number three belongs in the rafters.

DukeTrinity11
03-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Number three belongs in the rafters.
You don't get put up in the rafters just because you're passionate about the program. Scheyer, Smith and Singler are more deserving and none of them have their jerseys hanging in Cameron.

Gingermom3
03-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Thanks for loving the game as much as you do.

Furniture
05-14-2018, 09:04 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/996191626329542662/video/1

Suprised no one mentioned this. Lots of stuff on the net about last weekend.

Well done young man...

Furniture
05-14-2018, 09:22 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/BobbyHurley11/status/995756567181103106/photo/1

Bobby Hurley’s daughter graduates too (from Duke).

Furniture
05-14-2018, 09:34 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/995681950634528768/photo/1

Now Grayson with Mr.Cook

phaedrus
05-15-2018, 10:32 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/995681950634528768/photo/1

Now Grayson with Mr.Cook

Would have been way more impressed with a Cook "2" jersey.

elvis14
05-20-2018, 12:34 PM
I noticed that this thread had dropped off the first page. That just didn't seem right especially with Grayson showing off at the combine

91Duke
06-07-2018, 04:10 PM
I know this is an old-ish thread, but I wasn't sure if this warranted a new one.

Grayson Allen is doing an AMA on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8pcbcs/im_grayson_allen_former_duke_player_and_nba/

As you might expect, a lot of the questions so far are...... not so nice. I'm not sure this was a great idea for him to do. It'd be great if he could get some additional thoughtful/appreciative questions as well..

Bluedog
06-07-2018, 05:08 PM
I know this is an old-ish thread, but I wasn't sure if this warranted a new one.

Grayson Allen is doing an AMA on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8pcbcs/im_grayson_allen_former_duke_player_and_nba/

As you might expect, a lot of the questions so far are... not so nice. I'm not sure this was a great idea for him to do. It'd be great if he could get some additional thoughtful/appreciative questions as well..

I'm honestly impressed that Grayson has been able to take the hate so far (not specifically calling out this AMA, just talking more generally) without being so resentful. Shows a lot of maturity. I might not be so kind to people if that stuff came my way. I'm far removed from that and it still makes me uncomfortable and makes me want to scream! :mad: I think having Coach K in his corner did a lot to help his psyche, but no college amateur should have to go through the ridiculous onslaught that Grayson did. There are a lot of college athletes that have done much much worse things than him....

Having said all that, I appreciate you Grayson and hope you kill it in the league! His jersey WILL be a pretty damn good seller though, I'll tell you that much.

Truth&Justise
06-07-2018, 06:25 PM
He's given some pretty insightful answers about meditation, his most talented teammates, and how he feels about coming back to Duke and seeing his draft stock fall. Will try to post some highlights once he's finished.

Acymetric
06-07-2018, 06:42 PM
My two favorites so far:

Q: How does it feel to know that you've left plenty of money on the table going back to school one too many times, because of the feeling behind your skill is that now of a second-round prospect?
A: Theres way more money in staying in the league than just getting to the league as soon as you can. I feel like Im in a better position now to stick and find a spot on a team longterm than I was two years ago.

Q: Who is your favorite teammate from Duke and why is it Marshall Plumlee?
A: Marshall Plumlee because Marshall Plumlee

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-07-2018, 10:45 PM
I maintain that the "hate" will expire the moment he is drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks (or any other NBA team).

Great chance for a reset for Grayson. All will be well. NBA fans outside of NC (possibly Wisco, so bad example) won't give a rip about his college career.

Good luck, young man.

Trey21
06-07-2018, 11:30 PM
I know he might have cost himself some cash by staying all four years, but staying four years and grinding as really paid off for Quinn Cook and Seth Curry(get well!). A lot of these three-four year dudes can already be plugged into a rotation as a solid 7th or 8th guy right off the bat.

For Grayson, it might have been best for him to stay just from a personal standpoint. If he left after his sophomore year maybe he has a solid rookie year like Luke did on a forgettable team, but I think he'd more than likely find himself fighting off the mental expectations like Austin had to during his time in New Orleans. Like Rivers, I think Grayson will settle himself into a nice rotation spot somewhere.

Truth&Justise
06-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Re-posting some of the highlights here (i.e. most of the ones that aren't about video games). He answered A LOT of questions, so I'd recommend checking out the whole thing:

Why didnt you come out your sophomore year when you hypothetically could have gone top 20? Do you ever regret staying in school only to be overshadowed by some of your younger teammates?
Learning more from Coach K and graduating were the two biggest reasons for staying. I dont regret it because I feel like I learned a lot on and off the court. I also learned how to play with a lot of extremely talented guys which is exactly what Ill have to do in the NBA

How does it feel to know that you've left plenty of money on the table going back to school one too many times, because of the feeling behind your skill is that now of a second-round prospect?
Theres way more money in staying in the league than just getting to the league as soon as you can. I feel like Im in a better position now to stick and find a spot on a team longterm than I was two years ago.

I'm a diehard Carolina fan who graduated from UNC in 2017. How much does the Carolina-Duke rivalry mean to you? Did you change your preparation for those games during the week or did you treat it like any other game? (You going off in the last few minutes in the Dean Dome in 2016 will sting forever, btw)
It means a lot because of the history of the rivalry. I played UNC around 10 times in my 4 years and they were always the most fun games. Your mental preparation has to be a little different because the environment is so different than any other game.

People have drawn comparisons to you and Laettner, being leaders on Duke teams with some questionable in game stuff. My question is has Laettner's handling of this image and his quasi-embracing of "villain" status been an influence on your mentality?
Im an introverted person who is uncomfortable with attention (negative and positive) so it was a little different for me. I had to learn to embrace the "villian" status in my own way. Leadership is also something I had to grow into because it was tough for me to speak up at first.

What did your daily schedule look like at Duke? How many hours a day did you put into basketball?
Film/ lifting in the morning. Classes would go from around 9-1230ish. We would be at the gym from about 1-5 watching film, doing pre practice work in the training room, practicing, and getting shots up, and then have study hall or a night class after.

How has meditation helped you in playing basketball? I played basketball in high school and I realized that most of the best games I ever played were when I was "mindless" and wasn't thinking and instead reacting. However, meditation teaches you to be "mindful" and to observe your thoughts. What's your take on that?
For me, mediation helps with staying focused and not letting my mind wander. During games there are so many distractions/ thoughts that could arise like the crowd, a bad play, or a missed shot. Meditation helps me to stay "in the zone" and use basketball instincts instead of getting distracted by different trains of thought.

How do you think Javin and Marques will adapt to being the senior-type leaders on next year's team? What do you think of next year's team with them as well as Zion, Barrett, Reddish, and Tre?
I think they have a good group of older guys that will be leaders. Javin, Antonio, J Rob, and Marques will all do a great job. I think Marques is going to make a lot of improvement and have a really good year. He has a ton of potential. The freshman are obviously super talented so Im excited to see what they can do.

What were your first impressions of some of the other Duke players, and did they turn out to be right or wrong?
Jayson was killing people in 1 on 1 from the first day he stepped on campus so we all kinda knew he was going to be really good early on in his NBA career

Who was the most talented Duke teammate you played with?
Its a tough one because there have been so many, but I have to go with Brandon Ingram from a pure talent/potential standpoint. Jahlil, Jayson, Harry, and Marvin are all up there though

Who's the best player at Duke during your 4 years there?
Jahlil Okafor

Who's the toughest opponent you've faced at the college level?
I hated going up against UVA slow pace/ packline defense

Toughest player you've had to guard?
Its tough to pick one, but the first player that comes to mind is Dennis Smith. When his outside shot is falling hes tough to stop.

Who was your favorite teammate in your four years at Duke?
Marshall Plumlee. One of the weirdest/ greatest guys Ive met

Who is your favorite teammate from Duke and why is it Marshall Plumlee?
Marshall Plumlee because Marshall Plumlee

Which NBA players do you think you are most similar to in terms of play style?
Eric Gordon. Everyone wants to make the JJ comparison though

What did you do when you found out about the meme between you and Ted Cruz looking alike?
I honestly didnt see it at first, but its impossible to deny now

If asked to play Ted Cruz in a movie, would you do it?
for sure

tbyers11
06-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Re-posting some of the highlights here (i.e. most of the ones that aren't about video games). He answered A LOT of questions, so I'd recommend checking out the whole thing:

What did you do when you found out about the meme between you and Ted Cruz looking alike?

for sure

Thanks for the entire summary. I want to follow up with a tweet (https://twitter.com/GraysonJAllen/status/1004866652650070016) from Grayson yesterday. It appears that Jimmy Kimmel has challenged Ted Cruz to a 1-on-1 basketball game. No idea if they are going to play on a basketball hoop or a basketball ring, but Grayson's response to hearing about the game was hilarious.

DukieInKansas
06-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the entire summary. I want to follow up with a tweet (https://twitter.com/GraysonJAllen/status/1004866652650070016) from Grayson yesterday. It appears that Jimmy Kimmel has challenged Ted Cruz to a 1-on-1 basketball game. No idea if they are going to play on a basketball hoop or a basketball ring, but Grayson's response to hearing about the game was hilarious.

Thanks for sharing this. Well played by Grayson. (Comments prove, once again, that people can be very strange.)

flyingdutchdevil
06-08-2018, 03:27 PM

Why didnt you come out your sophomore year when you hypothetically could have gone top 20? Do you ever regret staying in school only to be overshadowed by some of your younger teammates?
Learning more from Coach K and graduating were the two biggest reasons for staying. I dont regret it because I feel like I learned a lot on and off the court. I also learned how to play with a lot of extremely talented guys which is exactly what Ill have to do in the NBA

How does it feel to know that you've left plenty of money on the table going back to school one too many times, because of the feeling behind your skill is that now of a second-round prospect?
Theres way more money in staying in the league than just getting to the league as soon as you can. I feel like Im in a better position now to stick and find a spot on a team longterm than I was two years ago.

I'm a diehard Carolina fan who graduated from UNC in 2017. How much does the Carolina-Duke rivalry mean to you? Did you change your preparation for those games during the week or did you treat it like any other game? (You going off in the last few minutes in the Dean Dome in 2016 will sting forever, btw)
It means a lot because of the history of the rivalry. I played UNC around 10 times in my 4 years and they were always the most fun games. Your mental preparation has to be a little different because the environment is so different than any other game.

People have drawn comparisons to you and Laettner, being leaders on Duke teams with some questionable in game stuff. My question is has Laettner's handling of this image and his quasi-embracing of "villain" status been an influence on your mentality?
Im an introverted person who is uncomfortable with attention (negative and positive) so it was a little different for me. I had to learn to embrace the "villian" status in my own way. Leadership is also something I had to grow into because it was tough for me to speak up at first.

What did your daily schedule look like at Duke? How many hours a day did you put into basketball?
Film/ lifting in the morning. Classes would go from around 9-1230ish. We would be at the gym from about 1-5 watching film, doing pre practice work in the training room, practicing, and getting shots up, and then have study hall or a night class after.

How has meditation helped you in playing basketball? I played basketball in high school and I realized that most of the best games I ever played were when I was "mindless" and wasn't thinking and instead reacting. However, meditation teaches you to be "mindful" and to observe your thoughts. What's your take on that?
For me, mediation helps with staying focused and not letting my mind wander. During games there are so many distractions/ thoughts that could arise like the crowd, a bad play, or a missed shot. Meditation helps me to stay "in the zone" and use basketball instincts instead of getting distracted by different trains of thought.

How do you think Javin and Marques will adapt to being the senior-type leaders on next year's team? What do you think of next year's team with them as well as Zion, Barrett, Reddish, and Tre?
I think they have a good group of older guys that will be leaders. Javin, Antonio, J Rob, and Marques will all do a great job. I think Marques is going to make a lot of improvement and have a really good year. He has a ton of potential. The freshman are obviously super talented so Im excited to see what they can do.

What were your first impressions of some of the other Duke players, and did they turn out to be right or wrong?
Jayson was killing people in 1 on 1 from the first day he stepped on campus so we all kinda knew he was going to be really good early on in his NBA career

Who was the most talented Duke teammate you played with?
Its a tough one because there have been so many, but I have to go with Brandon Ingram from a pure talent/potential standpoint. Jahlil, Jayson, Harry, and Marvin are all up there though

Who's the best player at Duke during your 4 years there?
Jahlil Okafor

Who's the toughest opponent you've faced at the college level?
I hated going up against UVA slow pace/ packline defense

Toughest player you've had to guard?
Its tough to pick one, but the first player that comes to mind is Dennis Smith. When his outside shot is falling hes tough to stop.

Who was your favorite teammate in your four years at Duke?
Marshall Plumlee. One of the weirdest/ greatest guys Ive met

Who is your favorite teammate from Duke and why is it Marshall Plumlee?
Marshall Plumlee because Marshall Plumlee

Which NBA players do you think you are most similar to in terms of play style?
Eric Gordon. Everyone wants to make the JJ comparison though

for sure

Jesus. What happened? Not saying Grayson is wrong, but Grayson played with Ingram, Jayson, and Marvin. And Jahlil was the best?

Truth&Justise
06-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Jesus. What happened? Not saying Grayson is wrong, but Grayson played with Ingram, Jayson, and Marvin. And Jahlil was the best?

Yeah. His answer on the earlier question made more sense, when he said Ingram was the most purely talented, and then right behind him were Jayson, Jahlil and Marvin.

And Harry.....sigh, what could have been.

Bluedog
06-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Well...Jahlil was ACC POY so he was pretty dominant during his one year.

MartyClark
06-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Jahlil was dominant as a freshman. His ability to score in the low post opened up multiple scoring opportunities for his team mates. I guess it is ultimately subjective and one could argue for the other guys but Jahlil, notwithstanding his professional failures, was a great college player.

I agree with a previous poster, we never saw what Harry Giles could have done.

luvdahops
06-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Jahlil was dominant as a freshman. His ability to score in the low post opened up multiple scoring opportunities for his team mates. I guess it is ultimately subjective and one could argue for the other guys but Jahlil, notwithstanding his professional failures, was a great college player.

I agree with a previous poster, we never saw what Harry Giles could have done.

Agreed on Okafor. He was ACC POY and a First Team All-American. Neither Ingram or Tatum were even First Team All-ACC (they were 2nd and 3rd respectively), or led their team in scoring. There is clearly an argument for Bagley, who had similar accolades and better stats. But I would guess that Jah being a classmate and having won a Natty tips the balance for Grayson.

Acymetric
06-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Agreed on Okafor. He was ACC POY and a First Team All-American. Neither Ingram or Tatum were even First Team All-ACC (they were 2nd and 3rd respectively), or led their team in scoring. There is clearly an argument for Bagley, who had similar accolades and better stats. But I would guess that Jah being a classmate and having won a Natty tips the balance for Grayson.

If Tatum had been able to play the whole season the way he did towards the end, maybe the answer changes. I do think the fact that they came in together also impacts things, partly from a camaraderie standpoint, but also sort of an exposure bias (that was probably the first time Grayson played on a team with someone that talented, even if Bagley was slightly better which can be debated it didn't have that new experience feel that would have been present for Okafor).

UrinalCake
06-08-2018, 07:52 PM
People forget how good Okafor was because he’s been a flop in the pros, but he was flat out unstoppable from day one. He was an automatic double team every time he touched the ball, which you cannot say about any of our other OAD players.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Back to Grayson....he apparently offered to stand in for Ted Cruz in the one on one challenge with Jimmy Kimmel.....

pretty funny....

JetpackJesus
06-08-2018, 11:05 PM
Just came across this piece about Grayson following his workout with the Celtics. More good stuff.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/06/08/grayson-allen-celtics-2018-nba-draft

MartyClark
06-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Just watched a replay of the Duke-Michigan State game early last season. Grayson with 37 points. Good memories of this kid who gave everything he had for Duke.