PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Kansas (Mar 25, 2018)

JBDuke
03-25-2018, 07:33 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's loss to Kansas tonight in the regional final?

drummerdevil
03-25-2018, 07:35 PM
Wendell... because we couldn't win without him.

ncexnyc
03-25-2018, 07:36 PM
Wasn't really close. Trevon played well the whole game and despite the ill advised turnover and that missed 3 at the end he came to play.

flyingdutchdevil
03-25-2018, 07:36 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's loss to Kansas tonight in the regional final?

Duval. No doubt about it.

ipatent
03-25-2018, 07:39 PM
Duval, but he shouldn't have taken that three near the end.

killerleft
03-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Duval was very easily the MOTM for us. Carter did show up at the end, but Duval was our best player all night. Kudos. And, yes, he should have taken that late three. Who else?

Duval, in a past not far away, would be a ferocious player for us by next year. Great heart and good instincts. Elusive. Hope he comes back.

Wander
03-25-2018, 07:51 PM
Duval was very easily the MOTM for us. Carter did show up at the end, but Duval was our best player all night. Kudos. And, yes, he should have taken that late three. Who else?

Literally anyone else. He played well overall (but not nearly as well as the MOTM voting indicates - the gamble for the steal at the end of regulation killed us, and he still led the team in turnovers), but seriously, anyone else.

Devilwin
03-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Duval...The only guard that even remotely looked like a college player today..

killerleft
03-25-2018, 07:57 PM
Literally anyone else. He played well overall (but not nearly as well as the MOTM voting indicates - the gamble for the steal at the end of regulation killed us, and he still led the team in turnovers), but seriously, anyone else.

No. He was playing the best, it was a good shot. Heck, he had to have the most turnovers. For large chunks of the game, he was the only guy who made positive plays on offense. I expected the three to go down. If he'd had more help from others, we'd be celebrating right now.

jv001
03-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Voted for Grayson because it's my last chance to vote for him. At least the other players have a chance to return. Thanks Grayson for your four year career at Duke University. GoDuke!

Wander
03-25-2018, 08:09 PM
No. He was playing the best, it was a good shot. Heck, he had to have the most turnovers. For large chunks of the game, he was the only guy who made positive plays on offense. I expected the three to go down. If he'd had more help from others, we'd be celebrating right now.

He did make some nice drives today, without which we probably would have lost in regulation. But he's still an awful shooter, ending the year <30% on threes and <60% on free throws. I agree the best option is for him to take totally open threes regardless of that percentage, but some of those that he took today didn't qualify as that.

That was hardly the only mistake of the game, so I'm not putting the loss on him, but it WAS a mistake IMO.

Henderson
03-25-2018, 08:09 PM
Alex O'Connell, because he at least wasn't daydreaming about next year in the NBA while Duke ("Duke what? I was only there for 9 months") went down.

Furniture
03-25-2018, 08:15 PM
Wow. Some of you guys are just plain mean and nasty. Duval had the best 3 point %.

Furniture
03-25-2018, 08:17 PM
Alex O'Connell, because he at least wasn't daydreaming about next year in the NBA while Duke ("Duke what? I was only there for 9 months") went down.

So you think if Alex was good enough he wouldn’t go?

Henderson
03-25-2018, 08:20 PM
So you think if Alex was good enough he wouldn’t go?

He'd go. Anyone would if he could.

But he's not. So he wasn't drifting off in the second half thinking, "Ah what the heck; next year I get paid to do this whether I win or lose."

tbyers11
03-25-2018, 08:24 PM
He'd go. Anyone would if he could.

But he's not. So he wasn't drifting off in the second half thinking, "Ah what the heck; next year I get paid to do this whether I win or lose."

Wow, that's some serious sour grapes.

It seemed to me that Carter and Bagley wanted it pretty bad by in-game reactions that I saw.

I'd love to go back to getting the best players and getting them to stay 3 and 4 years. But that's not how it works now. If K and the staff think the OADs "unpack their bags" and buy in then that's good enough for me

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-25-2018, 08:31 PM

You looked at Carter on the bench, towel over head, and that's what you saw.

I feel bad for you, man.

AtlDuke72
03-25-2018, 08:59 PM

This is a truly obnoxious and uncalled for post. Thiel moderators should ban this troll.

Furniture
03-25-2018, 09:08 PM
This is a truly obnoxious and uncalled for post. Thiel moderators should ban this troll.
......."...

MCFinARL
03-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Voted for Grayson because it's my last chance to vote for him. At least the other players have a chance to return. Thanks Grayson for your four year career at Duke University. GoDuke!

This is a sentimental thought, but Grayson did not have a great game tonight. While he did not make the hero ball mistakes he did in the UNC game in the ACC tournament, he struggled with his shot all night. We really needed either Grayson or Gary to be able to hit from 3 tonight and neither did (although Gary made some very good plays from closer in).

With the exception of Bagley, who took only one and made it, Duval was our most effective 3-point shooter tonight at 2-6. He probably had as good a chance as anyone, if not better, of making that three. And while the attempted steal did prove costly, it was the kind of aggressive play that had been serving us well most of the night. I'm not going to fault him for that even though it didn't turn out well--what if the steal had been successful? We'd be praising him to the skies now.

jv001
03-25-2018, 09:52 PM
This is a sentimental thought, but Grayson did not have a great game tonight. While he did not make the hero ball mistakes he did in the UNC game in the ACC tournament, he struggled with his shot all night. We really needed either Grayson or Gary to be able to hit from 3 tonight and neither did (although Gary made some very good plays from closer in).

With the exception of Bagley, who took only one and made it, Duval was our most effective 3-point shooter tonight at 2-6. He probably had as good a chance as anyone, if not better, of making that three. And while the attempted steal did prove costly, it was the kind of aggressive play that had been serving us well most of the night. I'm not going to fault him for that even though it didn't turn out well--what if the steal had been successful? We'd be praising him to the skies now.'t p
Hey, I was able to listen to 8 minutes of regulation on the radio and watch the entire overtime. I have never made a MOTM vote without watching the entire game before tonight. I voted for Grayson for the reasons I posted earlier. My way of thinking on MOTM voting has changed because of how other posters vote. Some even vote for someone that played a few minutes or even didn't play at all. So, I really don't get as serious as I used to on this voting. Tonight's vote was for my emotional well being after once again seeing an ACC ref, screw up a good basketball game. Thanks Roger "three blind mice" Ayers. GoDuke!

Wander
03-25-2018, 10:19 PM
This is a sentimental thought, but Grayson did not have a great game tonight.

He was better at drawing fouls, not fouling, not turning the ball over, rebounding, and defense than the guy running away with the MOTM award.

I honestly don't think any individual really played that badly tonight. But we never really figured out how to maximize the scoring offense between Grayson, Bagley, and Carter or how to fully deal with Duval's glaring weaknesses.

Furniture
03-26-2018, 12:04 AM
He was better at drawing fouls, not fouling, not turning the ball over, rebounding, and defense than the guy running away with the MOTM award.

I honestly don't think any individual really played that badly tonight. But we never really figured out how to maximize the scoring offense between Grayson, Bagley, and Carter or how to fully deal with Duval's glaring weaknesses.

Duval shot over 50%. I could go on but haters will see what they want to See. Goodnight.

wavedukefan70s
03-26-2018, 12:33 AM
I gave it to Allen.yes other players did better.but it's the last one I can give him.well it could be the last I could give to any of them.so I went to seniority.