PDA

View Full Version : Campers and RVs

wilson
03-21-2018, 07:54 PM
Anybody got one? My wife and I are looking to invest in a 18-20 foot trailer soon.
Advice?

mattman91
03-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Anybody got one? My wife and I are looking to invest in a 18-20 foot trailer soon.
Advice?

Nope, but it is my dream to own a class b RV one day. Why class b? You can park them anywhere, drive them anywhere, and they are definitely the best on gas. Me and the other half plan to remain childless, so no need for the extra space.

Trailers are nice too. If your RV has a serious mechanical problem (transmission etc.) You are screwed. That's something you never have to worry about with a trailer, especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-21-2018, 09:25 PM
Me and the other half plan to remain childless, so no need for the extra space.

*cheers*

-jk
03-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Advice?

Don't have one, but I suspect "invest" is not the proper term...

-jk

wilson
03-21-2018, 09:32 PM
Don't have one, but I suspect "invest" is not the proper term...

-jkHaha, fair enough. We’re going “functional but not fancy/perfect” anyway, so no outlandish financial burden.

alteran
03-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Advice?

I owned a trailer for about a year and a half. There were parts about it I loved, and parts I didn't. It was a 26-footer.

I'll start with the bad. Towing a trailer is not for the timid. I've subsequently rented true RVs (you know, ones that you drive) and it's a lot easier. Trailers are stressful to merge. They are VERY stressful to fill with gas, because the vast majority of gas stations position their pumps perpendicular to the road so you have two tight turns to deal with. They are pretty stressful to back up.

A lot of the stress depends on personality. If you just take things a little slow, don't mind getting out of your car to check your clearance when it's in doubt, and ask for backing help from strangers, it's very do-able.

This next bit is neutral-- you kinda need to be handy. There's always small things to deal with, particularly if you buy a used trailer (like I did). The good news is that I'm only slightly better than average at engineering, and completely untrained, and I did fine. These things are designed to be maintained by people of middling maintenance skills. Have tools, and remember any ones you forget are probably in the hands of other RV folks near you at the campsite, and they're suprisingly willing to lend AND help out.

Which brings me to the good-- campsite culture. People that have trailers/RVs are kinda like a tribe. I've lost count of the times where I just barely started to look around when I was confused or needed help and someone came over, introduced themselves, and helped me out. Big problem or small, don't be afraid to ask neighborly assistance.

And I haven't even mentioned how nice it is to be in a climate-controlled, comfortable space right next to the great outdoors.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, and may not even be the advice you're looking for. Please feel free to follow up OR ask me questions off-line. Seriously, I'll babble on as long as you want to listen.

jacone21
03-23-2018, 12:15 PM
.... Towing a trailer is not for the timid. ....

I would add that you need to make sure you have a vehicle that is more than capable of towing (and stopping) your trailer... especially if you plan any mountain trips or very long trips. I've never had one but I've heard that 5th wheel rigs are easier to handle. Good luck!

wilson
03-23-2018, 01:40 PM
...Towing a trailer is not for the timid. I've subsequently rented true RVs (you know, ones that you drive) and it's a lot easier. Trailers are stressful to merge. They are VERY stressful to fill with gas, because the vast majority of gas stations position their pumps perpendicular to the road so you have two tight turns to deal with. They are pretty stressful to back up.

A lot of the stress depends on personality. If you just take things a little slow, don't mind getting out of your car to check your clearance when it's in doubt, and ask for backing help from strangers, it's very do-able.This is the part I'm least excited about. I've done trailer driving before, but not a ton, and I know there'll be a learning curve. I'm trying to be realistic and patient with the knowledge that it'll take time for me to feel more comfortable.

This next bit is neutral-- you kinda need to be handy. There's always small things to deal with, particularly if you buy a used trailer (like I did). The good news is that I'm only slightly better than average at engineering, and completely untrained, and I did fine. These things are designed to be maintained by people of middling maintenance skills. Have tools, and remember any ones you forget are probably in the hands of other RV folks near you at the campsite, and they're surprisingly willing to lend AND help out.

Which brings me to the good-- campsite culture. People that have trailers/RVs are kinda like a tribe. I've lost count of the times where I just barely started to look around when I was confused or needed help and someone came over, introduced themselves, and helped me out. Big problem or small, don't be afraid to ask neighborly assistance.This part, I'm rather looking forward to. I'm not the most handy, but neither am I a complete dunce, and I think it'll be fun to learn to wrench a little bit. I'm also not shy, so when the situation calls for me to ask for help, I won't hesitate.

And I haven't even mentioned how nice it is to be in a climate-controlled, comfortable space right next to the great outdoors...This is really the bottom line for us. We want to have this in place so we have an easy, relatively cheap method of travel to various outdoor destinations. Thankfully, my wife and I are very much of like mind when it comes to the amount we want to travel, the kind of travel we like, and the activities we enjoy at our destinations.

Great thoughts here; thanks for the response!

alteran
03-23-2018, 08:57 PM
I would add that you need to make sure you have a vehicle that is more than capable of towing (and stopping) your trailer... especially if you plan any mountain trips or very long trips. I've never had one but I've heard that 5th wheel rigs are easier to handle. Good luck!

Very true.

Modern trailers of any size have their own breaking systems, but they still need the towing capacity and breaking of the vehicle in front of them. In theory, they recommend that your LOADED trailer weight be no more than 80-85% of the towing capacity of your vehicle. I’d go for 70.

High pressure tires (say, 100lbs) are nice as well.

If you’re getting a hitch, definitely get some sort of load-shifting hitch that distributes the weight towards the front of your truck, and a friction clamp of some kind to minimize fish tailing.

And don’t go all speed-demon. 60mph is as fast as I went, and I think it was a wise choice.

You’re right about fifth wheels. I might start with a classic hitch trailer, because the mods you make to a truck to tow a fifth wheel are non trivial. Make sure you like what you’re doing first. 20 feet is pretty short for a fifth wheel anyway.

cspan37421
03-24-2018, 08:22 AM
Advice?

Here's an idea. Go frontcountry camping and ask around. I'd be willing to bet that most people there with RVs would be glad to tell you about their experience. You'll get feedback on a bunch of models, and get to see them in person. I agree with alteran, RV people can be very friendly and helpful. I remember being in Smokemont (GSMNP) tent camping with a friend (which is almost a rarity these days, as RVs dominate frontcountry camping), and some RV neighbors offered us two bowls of a hot and delicious chicken and rice dish. Being that it was fairly chilly out and our dinner wasn't all that hot or filling, it really buoyed our spirits.

For a time I had a folding utility trailer to haul my motorcycle for service when needed, and with the intent of using it for other things (but never did). I had a Class I hitch, and even though that's a pretty light trailer with something like 1000-1500 lb max load (10% tongue weight IIRC), you still had to learn to take it easy, always. It really affects handling and braking. I never had an issue, but I could tell not to push my luck or rush things.

The classic teardrop trailers always caught my attention, as did a number of cool variations I'd see on the road. Getting a look at pricing, I never did get one, feeling that the cost/benefit ratio was way too high. To me, it's amazing how much high quality camping gear you can buy for 1/10th the price of such a trailer, and you then don't have to worry about the issues of handling, braking, or storing the trailer when not in use. Granted, with tents you have to set them up and take them down, but that never struck me as a big cost. I also never found trailers to be all that appealing. Everything about them seemed light and flimsy, a poor imitation of indoor living. Maybe they're better made today. But even if you're not into tent camping, the cost of a trailer buys a lot of nights in a hotel, if truly indoor living is your thing.

JMO. Hope you like yours. But do ask around. I bet there's an online forum for these things too.

wilson
03-26-2018, 09:42 AM
Whelp, we pulled the trigger over the weekend on a 19-foot hybrid trailer. It's not perfect, but it'll serve our purposes well. Headed down to south Florida this weekend to post up on the beach for a few days and have a low-key spot to start learning the ropes. Other voyages planned to Charleston, SC later this spring, and then a National Parks adventure this summer.

YmoBeThere
03-26-2018, 10:19 AM
Congrats and Happy Camping!

PackMan97
03-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Whelp, we pulled the trigger over the weekend on a 19-foot hybrid trailer.

This thread is worthless without pics!

Congrats and happy camping. My family's idea of roughing it is a room somewhere other than the embassy suites, because having to sleep two adults and two kids in one room is just the worst!

BeachBlueDevil
03-26-2018, 11:37 AM
Cheap plug, but one of the brands I work for is RVTrader.com..... If you haven't used the site, check out. It not only has what you're looking for but a whole section on resources for buyers such as yourself.

jacone21
03-26-2018, 01:17 PM
This thread is worthless without pics!

Congrats and happy camping. My family's idea of roughing it is a room somewhere other than the embassy suites, because having to sleep two adults and two kids in one room is just the worst!

Yes, Wilson. We definitely need pics!

I like my off-grid, one room cabin in the woods. But my wife considers it "roughing it" if the hotel doesn't have room service and a spa.

wilson
03-26-2018, 02:59 PM
I don't have interior pics yet, but here's the exterior:
It's a 19ft hybrid, with popout beds at both ends, 2 single foldouts, full bath & kitchenette. Exactly what we were looking for in terms of a balance between price and functionality. A few rough spots here and there that we'll want to tend to and gradually refurbish/upgrade, but surfaces, etc. are in very good condition.
The day we bought it, I took it nearly halfway around I-285 (needs no explanation if you've ever been through Atlanta) and then backed it into my driveway...not bad for the first drive, in my opinion.
Next up: We leave this Saturday for Fort Myers, to sit on the beach, do as close to nothing as possible, and enjoy spring break by beginning to learn the ropes of our new toy. Can't wait!

alteran
03-27-2018, 09:35 AM
I don't have interior pics yet, but here's the exterior:
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8231&stc=1
It's a 19ft hybrid, with popout beds at both ends, 2 single foldouts, full bath & kitchenette. Exactly what we were looking for in terms of a balance between price and functionality. A few rough spots here and there that we'll want to tend to and gradually refurbish/upgrade, but surfaces, etc. are in very good condition.
The day we bought it, I took it nearly halfway around I-285 (needs no explanation if you've ever been through Atlanta) and then backed it into my driveway...not bad for the first drive, in my opinion.
Next up: We leave this Saturday for Fort Myers, to sit on the beach, do as close to nothing as possible, and enjoy spring break by beginning to learn the ropes of our new toy. Can't wait!

Keep us updated!

wilson
03-30-2018, 07:59 AM
It has taken some scrambling, but as of this afternoon, I'll have fully upgraded towing, suspension, and electrical connections on my tow vehicle. I started my morning by parallel parking the above rig at my mechanic's at around 6:30 am. I have to say, that's not easy, but I'm already getting better at it. By the end of my workday, all I'll have left to do is to rig up a sway bar and pack. Tomorrow morning, my wife and I head out on the maiden voyage to Fort Myers Beach!

duke79
03-30-2018, 09:41 AM
It has taken some scrambling, but as of this afternoon, I'll have fully upgraded towing, suspension, and electrical connections on my tow vehicle. I started my morning by parallel parking the above rig at my mechanic's at around 6:30 am. I have to say, that's not easy, but I'm already getting better at it. By the end of my workday, all I'll have left to do is to rig up a sway bar and pack. Tomorrow morning, my wife and I head out on the maiden voyage to Fort Myers Beach!

Good luck.....have fun......and drive safely!

lotusland
03-30-2018, 10:17 PM
Here's an idea. Go frontcountry camping and ask around. I'd be willing to bet that most people there with RVs would be glad to tell you about their experience. You'll get feedback on a bunch of models, and get to see them in person. I agree with alteran, RV people can be very friendly and helpful. I remember being in Smokemont (GSMNP) tent camping with a friend (which is almost a rarity these days, as RVs dominate frontcountry camping), and some RV neighbors offered us two bowls of a hot and delicious chicken and rice dish. Being that it was fairly chilly out and our dinner wasn't all that hot or filling, it really buoyed our spirits.

For a time I had a folding utility trailer to haul my motorcycle for service when needed, and with the intent of using it for other things (but never did). I had a Class I hitch, and even though that's a pretty light trailer with something like 1000-1500 lb max load (10% tongue weight IIRC), you still had to learn to take it easy, always. It really affects handling and braking. I never had an issue, but I could tell not to push my luck or rush things.

The classic teardrop trailers always caught my attention, as did a number of cool variations I'd see on the road. Getting a look at pricing, I never did get one, feeling that the cost/benefit ratio was way too high. To me, it's amazing how much high quality camping gear you can buy for 1/10th the price of such a trailer, and you then don't have to worry about the issues of handling, braking, or storing the trailer when not in use. Granted, with tents you have to set them up and take them down, but that never struck me as a big cost. I also never found trailers to be all that appealing. Everything about them seemed light and flimsy, a poor imitation of indoor living. Maybe they're better made today. But even if you're not into tent camping, the cost of a trailer buys a lot of nights in a hotel, if truly indoor living is your thing.

JMO. Hope you like yours. But do ask around. I bet there's an online forum for these things too.

I guess you never woke up in the middle of the night on a tent floor with a couple inches of water around, broke down your campsite, loaded up in a monsoon, drove home soaking wet then set everything back up in the yard to dry out. There will never be a second tent camping trip for Mrs. Lotus.

tteettimes
03-30-2018, 11:07 PM
I guess you never woke up in the middle of the night on a tent floor with a couple inches of water around, broke down your campsite, loaded up in a monsoon, drove home soaking wet then set everything back up in the yard to dry out. There will never be a second tent camping trip for Mrs. Lotus.

I have sit here and laughed out loud for the last thirty minutes......my experience EXACTLY
With wife and two kids.....Salter Path family campground 1968 or 69....thunderstorm....rain rain rain.....poured
Packed everything up....soaking wet....NEVER AGAIN......I can see...view enjoy...appreciate the great outdoors, vistas, oceans etc in a much preferred comfortable style AND without all that hassle
Probably for less money too
Anyway....I just really enjoyed this post....thanks

-jk
03-31-2018, 09:30 PM
After years of cub scout camping: good tent, good site selection. Great big tarp over all if you’re really worried.

Never woke up in a wet tent on those trips.

-jk

Neals384
04-01-2018, 12:29 AM
We had our last ever tent camping experience last August, to see the eclipse. It was same old, same old for me, but Mrs. Neals hadn't been camping in several years. She was very game, and never complained, but it was very hard on her, I could tell. Not so easy anymore for me either, truth be told. So last fall we bought a Pleasure Way Class b Van. We love it, but have only had one trip so far, but by next month we'll be on the road again.

Our one trip was in December to Palm Desert (where we have friends) and Anza Borrego State Park (east of San Diego). Had a great time, and everything seemed to work as advertised. I kept telling Mrs. Neals that all campers have weight limits, so she really shouldn't do any shopping. Ha!

I will second the comments about being a bit handy. I learned that my van has unprotected plumbing underneath, so the sink/toilet/shower can't be used in freezing weather. No big deal, right? Well it is, if you live where nights are below freezing and your destination is someplace warm. You have to winterize the plumbing by either using a compressor to blow all water out of the lines, or replace the water with RV antifreeze. Then reverse the process to get your plumbing back in working order. Of course it was below freezing the morning we left to head south, so had to wait until Palm Desert to de-winterize. Not very convenient when you're ready for some fun!

Still excited to have many more RV adventures and especially to keep Mrs Neals warm, dry and comfortable.

wilson
04-09-2018, 01:31 PM
My wife and I successfully completed our camper's maiden voyage last week...about a 1400-mile round trip to Fort Myers, FL. We could not have had a better time. While our camper is very much in the "functional, but not pretty" vein, it worked as advertised and our travel was pretty stress-free overall. We got some great advice about adding a sway bar (much easier and more confident handling), as well as some upgraded brake and suspension components.
Moving forward, we've got a handful of needed repairs replacements, followed by a list of desired upgrades. But all in all, we came home very happy about our purchase and very excited about our future adventures. I'd say the lifestyle (and it is definitely a whole lifestyle!) pretty much immediately agrees with us.
A few pics:

Neals384
04-12-2018, 11:11 PM
My wife and I successfully completed our camper's maiden voyage last week...about a 1400-mile round trip to Fort Myers, FL. We could not have had a better time. While our camper is very much in the "functional, but not pretty" vein, it worked as advertised and our travel was pretty stress-free overall. We got some great advice about adding a sway bar (much easier and more confident handling), as well as some upgraded brake and suspension components.
Moving forward, we've got a handful of needed repairs replacements, followed by a list of desired upgrades. But all in all, we came home very happy about our purchase and very excited about our future adventures. I'd say the lifestyle (and it is definitely a whole lifestyle!) pretty much immediately agrees with us.
A few pics:

Coconuts come in Red? Who knew?

YmoBeThere
04-13-2018, 07:12 AM
Like with cars the upgrade list seems long at the beginning. Then when you get them done you start longing for a new project.