PDA

View Full Version : A Duke Athletics Trifecta

Tripping William
03-21-2018, 02:32 PM
I cannot now find the link, but it came across one of my feeds yesterday that, in the 2017-18 academic year, only one Division I university has accomplished (a) a football bowl win, (b) a men's basketball Sweet 16 berth, and (c) a women's basketball Sweet 16 berth.

And that would be Dear Old Duke.

Impressive; most impressive.

(Note to Mods: I haven't seen this mentioned, but if it already has been, please thread-merge).

tbyers11
03-21-2018, 02:40 PM
I cannot now find the link, but it came across one of my feeds yesterday that, in the 2017-18 academic year, only one Division I university has accomplished (a) a football bowl win, (b) a men's basketball Sweet 16 berth, and (c) a women's basketball Sweet 16 berth.

(Note to Mods: I haven't seen this mentioned, but if it already has been, please thread-merge).

And we have our Wake Forest friends to thank for that.

Texas A&M is the only other school to have both men’s and women’s basketball teams in the sweet 16.

They couldn’t match the awesomeness of Duke because they lost in the Belk Bowl shootout to Wake.

-jk
03-21-2018, 02:55 PM

Came to me in a Duke email (as an image so you can't search for it).

Pretty cool!

-jk

arnie
03-21-2018, 03:49 PM

And the Cheats didn’t accomplish any of these. In fact their football team did not go bowling, women’s b-ball did not make the tourney and of course, men’s b-ball failed miserably in round of 32. Wonder how long it’s been that the Carolina Way missed on all 3 of those goals.

TruBlu
03-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Sounds like the start of a beautiful trend.

DukieInKansas
03-21-2018, 03:54 PM
And the Cheats didn’t accomplish any of these. In fact their football team did not go bowling, women’s b-ball did not make the tourney and of course, men’s b-ball failed miserably in round of 32. Wonder how long it’s been that the Carolina Way missed on all 3 of those goals.

Since their student-athletes had to start going to real classes? ;)

kmspeaks
03-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Since their student-athletes had to start going to real classes? ;)

Are we sure they're doing that now? ;)

howardlander
03-21-2018, 05:55 PM

I mean, why would they? The NCAA told them as long as the fake classes are generally available everything is fine. So why would they stop?

DukieInKansas
03-21-2018, 06:23 PM

I mean, why would they? The NCAA told them as long as the fake classes are generally available everything is fine. So why would they stop?

Hope springs eternal! Eternal optimist here hopes they have straightened out their act. Of course, I'm open to buying a bridge in Brooklyn, too.

godins
03-21-2018, 06:38 PM

I know this was asked in jest, but the answer is 2012-13. Men's and women's basketball both lost in the second round. And the football cheaters were banned from the postseason!

jimsumner
03-21-2018, 07:19 PM
This is the first time Duke has accomplished this so-called trifecta.

Winning a bowl game has been the biggest obstacle. Duke won one in 2015-16 but the women's basketball team stayed home. We have to go back to the 1960-'61 academic year for the most previous bowl win prior to '15-'16 and, of course, there was no women's college basketball then. And only one men's team in the NCAAT in those days and it wasn't Duke that year.