PDA

View Full Version : Quinn-sanity!

Pages : [1] 2

UrinalCake
03-20-2018, 08:31 PM
I’m coining the term now. Our man has scored 20+ points in three straight games starting for the injured Curry. Draymond Green had a great sound bite, said he couldn’t believe this guy was on a two-way contract playing mostly in the G league. What a testament to his hard work and never giving up on himself. If he doesn’t get a guaranteed contract next season, every GM should be fired.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 08:49 PM
I’m coining the term now. Our man has scored 20+ points in three straight games starting for the injured Curry. Draymond Green had a great sound bite, said he couldn’t believe this guy was on a two-way contract playing mostly in the G league. What a testament to his hard work and never giving up on himself. If he doesn’t get a guaranteed contract next season, every GM should be fired.

Good catch, thanks for posting this!

moonpie23
03-20-2018, 09:10 PM
i dig it....and will be using it...

fraggler
03-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Along those lines, more people are getting on board: www.theringer.com/nba/2018/3/20/17144218/quinn-cook-breakout-golden-state-warriors

Bluedog
03-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Along those lines, more people are getting on board: www.theringer.com/nba/2018/3/20/17144218/quinn-cook-breakout-golden-state-warriors

Wow, do Quinn's jumpshots EVER even touch rim?! Smooth... (Yes, I did see one that touched, but man, that jumper looks awesome). Great to see him crushing it!

Looked it up, and for the first two games, Quinn shot 70% (on 30 shots) from the field, including 72% from 3! Yowza...(yes, I purposely excluded his worse performance against the Spurs).

DavidBenAkiva
03-20-2018, 09:26 PM
I couldn't be happier for his success. He's worked so hard to get this shot and is making the most of it. He's definitely earned this opportunity.

Cook is one of those guys like Nolan Smith and Amile Jefferson. They just won me over with their relentless positive attitude, effort, and development over the course of their career. I think Javin is going to be a player like that. Once he starts figuring out how to handle himself on the offensive side of the court, the sky is the limit.

WillJ
03-20-2018, 09:27 PM
I think Curry's been Wally Pipped.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2018, 10:06 PM
I think Curry's been Wally Pipped.

LOL! Well, maybe not. Can't Q and C play together in the same back court? Dawkins and Amaker, for example!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

BigWayne
03-20-2018, 10:31 PM
A lot of the people commenting on this don't understand the 2 way contract rules. Until Quinn gets to 45 days total of time with the GS squad, there is no benefit to him or the team to change his contract. He gets paid at NBA rate for every day he is there on top of his $75K 2 way contract rate. Once he gets to 45 days, then they have to move him onto the main roster. If they move him to the main roster before 45 days, it means they have to cut another guy to make space, without any benefit to Quinn.

MrPoon
03-20-2018, 11:07 PM

Draymond drives me crazy most of the time but the guy has been out spoken several times about how impactful Quinn has been. I dig this story of perseverance, just dig it.

HK Dukie
03-21-2018, 01:41 AM
I’m coining the term now.

I've been following his performance each game with much delight and Jeremy Lin was exactly the person who I was thinking about when watching Quinn.

Thanks for coining the phrase!

porkpa
03-21-2018, 07:00 AM
A question to which I do not admittedly know the answer. Did Quinn ever score 20+ for three games in a row while at Duke?

moonpie23
03-21-2018, 07:52 AM
this isn't the same guy that played for duke.....he's a full grown man now......he's mad excellent use of his time in the G...

JasonEvans
03-21-2018, 08:09 AM
A question to which I do not admittedly know the answer. Did Quinn ever score 20+ for three games in a row while at Duke?

On 2/18, 2/22, and 2/25 in 2015 (UNC, Clemson, Va Tech) Quinn scored 22, 27, and 26 points. By the way, the first and third of those games went to OT and Quinn played all 45 minutes. The middle one was more restful for him, he only played 39 out of 40 minutes because Duke won that game by 22 points.

-Jason "a piece of me hates that 2015 is largely remembered for the uber-talented freshmen. Quinn was a mega-stud and a leader that year" Evans

UrinalCake
03-21-2018, 08:36 AM
-Jason "a piece of me hates that 2015 is largely remembered for the uber-talented freshmen. Quinn was a mega-stud and a leader that year" Evans

Totally agree. He was the incumbent senior point guard and voluntarily stepped aside and moved to the 2 so that Tyus could run the team. Not a lot of players would do that. The famous game we won at UVA was a perfect microcosm of how he never got enough attention: everybody remembers Tyus’s big three to seal the game, but it was actually Quinn’s three on the previous possession that won the game for us.

UrinalCake
03-21-2018, 08:37 AM
this isn't the same guy that played for duke....he's a full grown man now...he's mad excellent use of his time in the G...

A great testament to the fact that a college senior shouldn’t be considered a finished product with no room to grow. Seth Curry has followed a similar path, grinding it out in the D/G league for years before getting his shot.

sagegrouse
03-21-2018, 08:47 AM

Porkpa -- Jason got the answer. But it's easy to find --

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/

Then click "Player Database" and look up the player. Then under "Cook's Links" find "Game Logs." Easy-peasy. Even a UNC player could do it.

Troublemaker
03-21-2018, 08:51 AM
On 2/18, 2/22, and 2/25 in 2015 (UNC, Clemson, Va Tech) Quinn scored 22, 27, and 26 points. By the way, the first and third of those games went to OT and Quinn played all 45 minutes. The middle one was more restful for him, he only played 39 out of 40 minutes because Duke won that game by 22 points.

Oh, I think Quinn gets a lot of love and respect for that season. And I've always said that the special thing about that team is that you could reasonably make the case for any one of 4 players (Justise, Tyus, Quinn, Jahlil) as being the best player on that team. They were all fantastic, and it just depends on what aspect of basketball you emphasize the most.

This 2018 team is very good, but it doesn't quite have the star power of that team. I think only Wendell and Marvin belong in the conversation with those 4. Grayson, Gary, and Trevon are a notch below.

DukieInBrasil
03-21-2018, 08:53 AM
this isn't the same guy that played for duke....he's a full grown man now...he's mad excellent use of his time in the G...

also, mad excellent is a great phrase to have coined on accident!

JasonEvans
03-21-2018, 09:24 AM
also, mad excellent is a great phrase to have coined on accident!

I often see typos or missing coding and go into posts and fix it to make the boards easier to read. I saw the "mad excellent" mistake and said, "nope, I'm not fixing that one. That is a typo that makes things even better!"

kAzE
03-21-2018, 10:14 AM

I believe this was due to the fact that he had a slightly down game in the championship against Wisconsin, while the 4 freshman carried the team. But nobody outside of Duke fans (and even a lot of Duke fans), seems to remember that he was the 2nd best player on the team that year. The guy was 2nd team All-ACC (http://www.theacc.com/news/2015/3/8/54fc98fbe4b07b123f44e43a_131480967441978384.aspx), folks.

I have a ton of respect for the the way he's clawed his way in to the NBA. That's just hard work and perseverance. We should all be proud of this guy!

jv001
03-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Porkpa -- Jason got the answer. But it's easy to find --

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/

Then click "Player Database" and look up the player. Then under "Cook's Links" find "Game Logs." Easy-peasy. Even a UNC player could do it.

Now sage, I wouldn't go that far. :cool: GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
03-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Quinn set the standard for growing into a leadership role. His transformation from a somewhat mercurial player to stud senior anchor was remarkable.

Glad he is doing well.

CDu
03-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Quinn set the standard for growing into a leadership role. His transformation from a somewhat mercurial player to stud senior anchor was remarkable.

Glad he is doing well.

Cook always had leadership skills. See his consoling of a despondent Thomas Robinson (like Cook, a DC kid) after Duke beat them in Maui. Players have always LOVED him and looked up to him. It's just the on-court game that took time to develop. And yes, the development of his game over time was quite impressive - most notably (to me) his stepping up into a defensive stud as a senior.

jv001
03-21-2018, 10:37 AM
Cook always had leadership skills. See his consoling of a despondent Thomas Robinson (like Cook, a DC kid) after Duke beat them in Maui. Players have always LOVED him and looked up to him. It's just the on-court game that took time to develop. And yes, the development of his game over time was quite impressive - most notably (to me) his stepping up into a defensive stud as a senior.

And just recently Grayson gave Cook a shout-out for encouraging him(Grayson) in his freshman year and we know how that turned out. Quinn has always been a great guy and as you noted his on-court skills has improved greatly. I'm rooting for Quinn to make someone's roster either this season or at least by next season. GoDuke and GoQuinn-sanity!

Furniture
03-21-2018, 10:50 AM
I believe this was due to the fact that he had a slightly down game in the championship against Wisconsin, while the 4 freshman carried the team. But nobody outside of Duke fans (and even a lot of Duke fans), seems to remember that he was the 2nd best player on the team that year. The guy was 2nd team All-ACC (http://www.theacc.com/news/2015/3/8/54fc98fbe4b07b123f44e43a_131480967441978384.aspx), folks.

I have a ton of respect for the the way he's clawed his way in to the NBA. That's just hard work and perseverance. We should all be proud of this guy!

I remember Marshall Plumlee and Amile Jefferson having a big time game in the final too. Particularly Amile. I don’t think we would have won without his defense.

FerryFor50
03-21-2018, 11:07 AM

I seem to remember Cook having issues adjusting to college ball, especially since he was hindered a bit coming in by a knee injury. But he stuck it out and ended up gaining some maturity and experience overcoming adversity that has paid off for him.

I do think he had to wait wayyyy too long to get his chance. He was absolutely destroying G-League competition and wasn't really getting quality minutes in the NBA. I was surprised that Seth Curry got a shot before Quinn Cook did, honestly.

godins
03-21-2018, 11:08 AM
This 2018 team is very good, but it doesn't quite have the star power of that team. I think only Wendell and Marvin belong in the conversation with those 4. Grayson, Gary, and Trevon are a notch below.

Hot take alert! :) Interesting -- the personnel is certainly different between the two teams, but I think Grayson more than deserves inclusion in the same conversation as the 2015 "stars." End-of-season results, like a second NCAA championship, have the potential to color our opinion of Grayson's career even rosier. But even now I'd say his leadership and grit have provided this team with a character equal to Cook's in 2015.

Marvin's star power outshines Jahlil, I think. WC is this year's Justise Winslow. But you're right about Gary and Trevon as a notch or two below Tyus.

BigWayne
03-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Nice article on Quinn in the local paper here. (http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/sports/20180320/quinn-cook-experiences-rite-of-passage-moments-with-golden-state)

“A lot of people are telling me to live in the moment and keep doing what you’re doing,” Cook said. “I’m not trying to act like I’m surprised. I just want to keep being aggressive. Coach told me to keep being aggressive. That’s why they signed me.”

kako
03-21-2018, 03:03 PM
LOL! Well, maybe not. Can't Q and C play together in the same back court? Dawkins and Amaker, for example!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Uh no. That would mean Klay Thompson, All-Star/Splash Brother/lock down defender/Mr. 37-freaking-points-in-one-quarter, sits or gets traded. Not likely to happen. Best case for him with GSW is backup guard, perhaps instant offense.

I live in the Bay Area and follow GSW. I’m so happy Cook is playing well, but for him playing in the post-season *this year* depends on the injury situation at GSW (Curry, Thompson, Durant and Green – the 4 GSW All-Stars – all have been injured lately, plus several bench players). Plus regarding playing him next year means GSW has to look at their cap situation and financials.

The reason why Cook is playing so much now is that the Warriors are sitting their injured because they have nothing to really play for the rest of the season. They are basically locked into the 2-seed for the playoffs unless Houston nose dives. So resting their injured and then reviving them by early April seems to be the plan. As he is on a 2-way contract, he cannot play in the playoffs. The only realistic shot being discussed for Cook to play in the playoffs this year is to cut a contract player. Omri Casspi is on a 1-yr, $2M contract. He’s been injured, but he is also the backup for Durant, and he’s played acceptably in the stints that he has had. GSW gave Curry’s backup, Shaun Livingston, a 3-yr $24M contract. So they won’t cut him. They could give up on Patrick McCaw, whose $1.3M contract is up at the end of the year when he's a restricted free agent. McCaw has been injured, too, but he played well in the playoffs last year, so it would be hard to see them giving up on him. Cook has had a few good games now, but remember it’s really when games don’t count for GSW. McCaw is more proven. Lastly, Nick Young aka Swaggy P, is on a 1-yr $5.2M contract. IMO even though it isn't being discussed in sportsyak, this is actually the biggest possibility for cutting a player. The financial hit is bigger here for GSW. Young is taller, but his D isn’t that good. He is hitting 3’s at a 38% clip, which he was brought in to do - and he can get hot from 3. Cook is hitting 39% from 3, but he's taken far less shots than Young, and Young took them against better competition in general. So honestly I’m not optimistic that GSW actively decides Cook is a better choice than any of these guys… so unless injuries really become a problem, I can’t see Cook playing in the post-season.

As a 2-way, GSW owns his rights. It’s unclear if he’s on a 2-yr, 2-way contract or just 1-yr. FYI to anyone not following the NBA so closely, 2-way contracts are new for the NBA this year... so there's a lot of questions at least publicly about how they work out. Anyway, if it’s a 2-yr , then I think he’s going to be in the same position with GSW next year as a 2-way player with the same playing restrictions unless GSW converts him (or trades him). If it’s a 1-yr, then as I understand it he becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the year, so GSW can match any offer another team gives him. Again, this is new ground since 2-way contracts are new this year. I've looked to see whether his contract is 2-yr or 1-yr, but I can't find it easily.

In any case, we are all pulling for Cook. As a player, I think he’d want to stay with GSW as a franchise is a happy franchise with good ownership and coaching, and a great chance to win and get rings (if GSW does win this year, Cook will get a ring). GSW should continue to be competitive for a few years to come as their core is so young. Young, but expensive. So the trick is to meet salary cap restrictions and not take too much of a financial hit. Tying up the stars doesn’t leave all that much for the others – many GSW players just take the veteran's minimum so that they can get a chance at a ring. So in Cook's case, that might force GSW to not be able to match what other teams might give him. But I think it's clear he should be playing in the NBA next year, with GSW on another 2-way, with GSW on a contract they can afford, or with another team for more dough. Cook is smart - I'm sure he wants to play on a guaranteed contract, but I'm sure he also wants to win. I hope he stays with GSW, one way or another.

9F

unclsam1
03-21-2018, 03:33 PM
I live in the Bay Area and follow GSW. I’m so happy Cook is playing well, but for him playing in the post-season *this year* depends on the injury situation at GSW (Curry, Thompson, Durant and Green – the 4 GSW All-Stars – all have been injured lately, plus several bench players). Plus regarding playing him next year means GSW has to look at their cap situation and financials.

9F

Live in the Bay Area too and follow GSW. The TV announcers commented during one of Cook's recent games that 2 way players are not eligible for the playoffs. Found a couple of links that seemed to verify this.

BigWayne
03-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Live in the Bay Area too and follow GSW. The TV announcers commented during one of Cook's recent games that 2 way players are not eligible for the playoffs. Found a couple of links that seemed to verify this.

Yes, he would have to be put on the main roster. The article I linked says they have to make that decision April 10th.

Furniture
03-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Another good game for Quinn last night. 32 mins. 5 from 11 for 13 points. 6 assists. 8 rebounds and 1 steal. Steph was back and played 25 mins.

fan345678
03-24-2018, 11:15 AM
Another good game for Quinn last night. 32 mins. 5 from 11 for 13 points. 6 assists. 8 rebounds and 1 steal. Steph was back and played 25 mins.

Good birthday performance from @QCook323

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2018, 11:18 AM

..and Steph is injured again. Bummer for him and the Warriors, likely very good for Q to get some more run.

freshmanjs
03-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Burying the lead a bit...Steph was hurt again and will likely miss more time.

dukelifer
03-24-2018, 11:21 AM
..and Steph is injured again. Bummer for him and the Warriors, likely very good for Q to get some more run.
Warriors may need to protect against another Steph injury and give Quinn a playoff roster spot- we shall see.

kmspeaks
03-24-2018, 11:47 AM
Totally agree. He was the incumbent senior point guard and voluntarily stepped aside and moved to the 2 so that Tyus could run the team. Not a lot of players would do that. The famous game we won at UVA was a perfect microcosm of how he never got enough attention: everybody remembers Tyus’s big three to seal the game, but it was actually Quinn’s three on the previous possession that won the game for us.

Best back court bro!

I have nothing to add except to say I'm glad I'm a Duke fan because it would suck to have to root against these guys.

kako
03-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Trying to turn the page from the KU loss. So it's back to pulling for Quinn Cook!

Curry is now out for the 1st round of the playoffs (http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nba/id/22912570), it's looking more and more likely that Cook will make the post-season roster. They would still have to cut somebody. This decision will probably not be made until the season ends.

Reports are Cook has a 1-year 2-way contract this year with GSW (https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/976946171791925248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goldenstateofmind.com%2F 2018%2F3%2F25%2F17157000%2Fnba-2018-golden-state-warriors-quinn-cook-contract-status-playoff-roster-steph-curry-knee-injury&tfw_site=unstoppablebaby). The tweeter Tim Kawakami is a Warriors insider that used to be on the SJ Mercury News staff, and he's usually reliable. Anyway that means he's a RFA after this year. If he gets a look from another team (and he probably would, especially if he help GSW win the 1st round matchup), then his qualifying offer coming off a guaranteed minimum deal is 125% of his previous minimum salary. Due to the salary cap and GSW's tightness with it given their lineup, he's potentially leaving GSW after this year but can get the guaranteed contract he wants (https://clutchpoints.com/warriors-news-quinn-cook-wants-to-secure-a-guaranteed-deal/). I don't think we will hear much more about this from Cook, though, as he has to play with a guy that would get cut. Cook's smart, so I'm sure he will keep his mouth shut and let management decide what to do.

There is also a podcast up where Cook was interviewed recently. It's here (https://audioboom.com/posts/6744419-warriors-quinn-cook-on-his-recent-success-growth-with-golden-state-learning-from-the-star-studded-team-duke-s-title-chances-ep-64), but I had trouble trying to listen to it. Turns out it's on Spotify and the Apple Store, so I just searched there. But maybe the original link will work for you. He discussed his recent success in Steph Curry‘s absence, his development with Golden State, the pros and cons of being on a two-way contract, Duke’s title run and much more. The Duke discussion was before the S16. But there are some good tidbits here - I bolded some. Time-stamps are below.

1:55: Over the last four games, Cook has averaged 21.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1 steal while shooting 57.6 percent from the field and 52 percent from three-point range. What’s been working so well for him recently?

2:55: Entering that first game with so many stars out and knowing he’d be playing such a big role, was Cook nervous? Was he excited? He shares his emotions entering this stretch.

4:00: Cook is obviously playing with a ton of confidence right now. Was there a particular play or game or conversation with teammates that led to his increased confidence?

5:15: In Summer League and the G League, Cook averaged similar numbers to what he’s doing now with the Warriors. He’s been productive for a while, just not in the NBA and on national TV. We discuss whether this was just a matter of him getting an opportunity at the NBA level to showcase his game.

7:00: Because Cook had to grind in the G League for two years – making sacrifices and turning down larger deals overseas – does it make this success even sweeter?

8:25: How underrated is the G League talent pool? How does the competition level in the G League stack up to the NBA?

10:15: Cook explains how frustrating it was not getting this kind of opportunity sooner. He was the G League’s Rookie of the Year and a two-time G League All-Star, but he couldn’t stick when he’d get 10-day deals and call-ups.

11:55: Cook discusses the pros and cons of being on a two-way contract. For those who don’t know, during the regular season two-way players can only spend 45 “days of service” with the NBA team (which include travel days and practices) and they have to spend the remainder of the season with the team’s G League affiliate.

14:25: Cook shares how much he’s learned from the Warriors’ stars (Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green) and terrific veterans (Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston and David West among others).

16:30: When you’re going up against a two-time MVP like Curry every practice, that has to make you better as a player. Cook discusses how those battles have helped him and how he does his best to push the starters in practice.

17:25: There’s been some talk about Cook playing his way onto the playoff roster for Golden State. Since he’s a two-way player, they’d have to sign him to a regular-season deal and cut someone else to include him on the postseason roster. Cook shares whether he’s talked to anyone in the organization about this and what would it mean to get a playoff spot on this star-studded team.

18:50: Steve Kerr is an incredible coach and he has a great staff. Cook explains how much they’ve helped his development and how they create a fun, family-like atmosphere.

20:25: Duke is back in the Elite Eight. Cook shares his thoughts about this year’s team, the job that Mike Krzyzewski has done with this year’s squad and whether the Blue Devils have a legitimate chance to win it all.

22:00: Cook talks about how he still keeps in touch with Coach K and his staff and many other people from Duke.

23:05: Can you tell us one fun fact about Coach K that most people don’t know?

24:45: Cook has been phenomenal lately; how can he maintain this level of production going forward?

25:45: Cook isn’t focused on his upcoming free agency, but if he could stay in Golden State long-term, would that be his preference?

28:30: Cook shares his encyclopedic knowledge of the NBA and how he fell in love with the game.

30:00: Jarrett Jack is one player whom Cook modeled his game and mentality after and he explains why.

32:15: Cook is friends with just about every NBA player – from LeBron James to Russell Westbrook to John Wall. But he has also developed friendships with some celebrities like Floyd Mayweather, Lil Durk and Mike Posner, and he explains how he got to know them.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Trying to turn the page from the KU loss. So it's back to pulling for Quinn Cook!

Curry is now out for the 1st round of the playoffs (http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nba/id/22912570), it's looking more and more likely that Cook will make the post-season roster. They would still have to cut somebody. This decision will probably not be made until the season ends.

Reports are Cook has a 1-year 2-way contract this year with GSW (https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/976946171791925248?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goldenstateofmind.com%2F 2018%2F3%2F25%2F17157000%2Fnba-2018-golden-state-warriors-quinn-cook-contract-status-playoff-roster-steph-curry-knee-injury&tfw_site=unstoppablebaby). The tweeter Tim Kawakami is a Warriors insider that used to be on the SJ Mercury News staff, and he's usually reliable. Anyway that means he's a RFA after this year. If he gets a look from another team (and he probably would, especially if he help GSW win the 1st round matchup), then his qualifying offer coming off a guaranteed minimum deal is 125% of his previous minimum salary. Due to the salary cap and GSW's tightness with it given their lineup, he's potentially leaving GSW after this year but can get the guaranteed contract he wants (https://clutchpoints.com/warriors-news-quinn-cook-wants-to-secure-a-guaranteed-deal/). I don't think we will hear much more about this from Cook, though, as he has to play with a guy that would get cut. Cook's smart, so I'm sure he will keep his mouth shut and let management decide what to do.

There is also a podcast up where Cook was interviewed recently. It's here (https://audioboom.com/posts/6744419-warriors-quinn-cook-on-his-recent-success-growth-with-golden-state-learning-from-the-star-studded-team-duke-s-title-chances-ep-64), but I had trouble trying to listen to it. Turns out it's on Spotify and the Apple Store, so I just searched there. But maybe the original link will work for you. He discussed his recent success in Steph Curry‘s absence, his development with Golden State, the pros and cons of being on a two-way contract, Duke’s title run and much more. The Duke discussion was before the S16. But there are some good tidbits here - I bolded some. Time-stamps are below.

1:55: Over the last four games, Cook has averaged 21.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1 steal while shooting 57.6 percent from the field and 52 percent from three-point range. What’s been working so well for him recently?

2:55: Entering that first game with so many stars out and knowing he’d be playing such a big role, was Cook nervous? Was he excited? He shares his emotions entering this stretch.

4:00: Cook is obviously playing with a ton of confidence right now. Was there a particular play or game or conversation with teammates that led to his increased confidence?

5:15: In Summer League and the G League, Cook averaged similar numbers to what he’s doing now with the Warriors. He’s been productive for a while, just not in the NBA and on national TV. We discuss whether this was just a matter of him getting an opportunity at the NBA level to showcase his game.

7:00: Because Cook had to grind in the G League for two years – making sacrifices and turning down larger deals overseas – does it make this success even sweeter?

8:25: How underrated is the G League talent pool? How does the competition level in the G League stack up to the NBA?

10:15: Cook explains how frustrating it was not getting this kind of opportunity sooner. He was the G League’s Rookie of the Year and a two-time G League All-Star, but he couldn’t stick when he’d get 10-day deals and call-ups.

11:55: Cook discusses the pros and cons of being on a two-way contract. For those who don’t know, during the regular season two-way players can only spend 45 “days of service” with the NBA team (which include travel days and practices) and they have to spend the remainder of the season with the team’s G League affiliate.

14:25: Cook shares how much he’s learned from the Warriors’ stars (Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green) and terrific veterans (Andre Iguodala, Shaun Livingston and David West among others).

16:30: When you’re going up against a two-time MVP like Curry every practice, that has to make you better as a player. Cook discusses how those battles have helped him and how he does his best to push the starters in practice.

17:25: There’s been some talk about Cook playing his way onto the playoff roster for Golden State. Since he’s a two-way player, they’d have to sign him to a regular-season deal and cut someone else to include him on the postseason roster. Cook shares whether he’s talked to anyone in the organization about this and what would it mean to get a playoff spot on this star-studded team.

18:50: Steve Kerr is an incredible coach and he has a great staff. Cook explains how much they’ve helped his development and how they create a fun, family-like atmosphere.

20:25: Duke is back in the Elite Eight. Cook shares his thoughts about this year’s team, the job that Mike Krzyzewski has done with this year’s squad and whether the Blue Devils have a legitimate chance to win it all.

22:00: Cook talks about how he still keeps in touch with Coach K and his staff and many other people from Duke.

23:05: Can you tell us one fun fact about Coach K that most people don’t know?

24:45: Cook has been phenomenal lately; how can he maintain this level of production going forward?

25:45: Cook isn’t focused on his upcoming free agency, but if he could stay in Golden State long-term, would that be his preference?

28:30: Cook shares his encyclopedic knowledge of the NBA and how he fell in love with the game.

30:00: Jarrett Jack is one player whom Cook modeled his game and mentality after and he explains why.

32:15: Cook is friends with just about every NBA player – from LeBron James to Russell Westbrook to John Wall. But he has also developed friendships with some celebrities like Floyd Mayweather, Lil Durk and Mike Posner, and he explains how he got to know them.

Thanks for this. I will definitely give this a listen. Love rooting for Quinn.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Thanks for this. I will definitely give this a listen. Love rooting for Quinn.

Maybe my all time favorite player......the way he developed, kept getting better, the way he was ready to lead as a senior, so willing to give Tyus the keys, and man he was a cold blooded assassin, hitting a TON of big moment 3s during his last couple years. Some were late, like he and Tyus going off in Charlottesville....but Quinn also hit a lot of big moment threes during the course of games...momentum threes, daggers, etc.

And loved the way he and Ole Roy laughed on the sidelines during a heated game. Obviously a class young man. I am rooting for him so hard!

kako
03-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Warriors’ Quinn Cook is making a push to stick around for the playoffs (https://theundefeated.com/features/warriors-quinn-cook-making-push-to-stick-around-for-the-playoffs-stephen-curry-injury/)

More today on Cook. The more pub he gets, the better for him. Amazing for a guy on a 2-way contract. Go, man, go!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2018, 02:01 PM
https://theundefeated.com/features/warriors-quinn-cook-making-push-to-stick-around-for-the-playoffs-stephen-curry-injury/ (Warriors’ Quinn Cook is making a push to stick around for the playoffs)

More today on Cook. The more pub he gets, the better for him. Amazing for a guy on a 2-way contract. Go, man, go!

Great article. Puts his epic quest in perspective. Seems he has exactly the right attitude.

martydoesntfoul
03-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Interesting take here on the challenges associated with Quinn staying on long-term with the Warriors.

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/platform/amp/2018/3/25/17157000/nba-2018-golden-state-warriors-quinn-cook-contract-status-playoff-roster-steph-curry-knee-injury

kako
03-28-2018, 01:05 PM
Watched the game against the Pacers last night. It was not a pretty game, and the Warriors lost. Cook had an off shooting night, going 5-17 from the field and 1-5 from 3. He did have 7 assists to 3 TOs. Cook will likely continue to start through the rest of the season, as the coaches want to keep the overall team fresh for the playoffs. It was a big game for the Pacers, not so much for the Warriors. Again, GSW is locked into the 2nd seed in the West, so there's no big concerns about Ws and Ls at this point.

None of the big 4 for GSW (Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green) played. Durant is said to possibly be back this week. Having Durant on the floor likely means Cook won't be taking 17 shots again anytime soon thereafter.

I read more chatter about the lack of need for Cook to be on the playoff roster. GSW could go into the playoffs playing the 8th seed with Shaun Livingston, Draymond Green, Andre Igoudala and Patrick McCaw as ball handlers. Curry was injured in the playoffs two season ago, and Livingston stepped up nicely. If they are looking to get Curry back by the 2nd round, then they might stand pat and not sign Cook for the rest of the season. It doesn't mean that they would not sign him next season, but salary cap issues are there for GSW. Once again, I think this is all about how injuries stack up at the end of the regular season.

I really want to see Cook in the playoffs. Getting him that experience will only make him more valuable, plus Duke fans can see him on national TV regularly from April to June. If he can bust out another couple 20 point+ games, it could be harder and harder to keep him out.

If they don't sign him, he can still practice with GSW. But he cannot play unless they sign him to a contract (which again means that they will need to cut another player).

kako
03-30-2018, 12:55 AM
Cook went for 30 tonight against the Bucks. Career high! 12-15 from the floor with 5-5 from 3. Unfortunately, GSW lost to the Bucks 116-107. Durant came back from injury but was tossed out of the game arguing with the refs. The Bucks took over after that, and no one really scored for GSW other than Cook. But it was another good showing, and especially good since he had a relatively poor game against the Pacers earlier this week.

Interesting side notes:

Jabari Parker had a good game off the bench for the Bucks, scoring 14 points on 6-12 shooting with 7 boards.
Marshall Plumlee is on the Bucks as well, of course, but he was DNP-Coach's Decision.
John Henson and Tyler Zeller are on the Bucks.
Parker and Plumlee both came up to Cook and had a little Duke reunion after the game. All smiles.

martydoesntfoul
03-30-2018, 03:39 AM
Fantastic stuff. Teammates love him, coaches love him. Q deserves to be on the playoff roster, no doubt about it.

https://youtu.be/QXrdr6femMo

elvis14
03-30-2018, 07:22 AM
Fantastic stuff. Teammates love him, coaches love him. Q deserves to be on the playoff roster, no doubt about it.

Thanks for posting the highlight video. I started watching this game, fell asleep after watching Quinn's fast start, work up sometime later and noticed that GSW was down by about 15 and figured out that KD got bounced. Never saw the end of the game but slept pretty well :-)

Watching QC play it's pretty obvious that he belongs. He looks great, quickness and strength are there. He's a better/stronger version of the senior year QC. Don't know who the GSW are going to have to cut to keep him but there has to be a few guys a little worried (note, I have not looked at their roster).

Loved seeing Zeller look completely inept and Henson ineffective, at best. Still hate those Cheaters! 9F

martydoesntfoul
03-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Two more terrific articles today!

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/ostler/amp/Warriors-Quinn-Cook-feels-right-at-home-12793036.php

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/29/warriors-quinn-cook-has-lost-track-of-how-many-podium-appearances-hes-had/amp/

kako
03-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Thanks for posting the highlight video. I started watching this game, fell asleep after watching Quinn's fast start, work up sometime later and noticed that GSW was down by about 15 and figured out that KD got bounced. Never saw the end of the game but slept pretty well :-)

Watching QC play it's pretty obvious that he belongs. He looks great, quickness and strength are there. He's a better/stronger version of the senior year QC. Don't know who the GSW are going to have to cut to keep him but there has to be a few guys a little worried (note, I have not looked at their roster).

Loved seeing Zeller look completely inept and Henson ineffective, at best. Still hate those Cheaters! 9F

Cook was hunting for his shot and nailing 3s. Offensively, he looked great. His D is suspect though - he had 5 fouls as he does struggle with quickness and has to foul. He seems to have the offensive chops to stick around, but he does need to work on his D.

I'd love for GSW to keep him. I hated having Barnes and McAdoo on the team before. But if I'm objective I do think it may be stretch to keep him on the post-reason roster if Curry is just out for the first round. Others are more proven or GSW has years of investment in them. To me the choice would be to cut Nick Young and hope Cook could be the instant offense that Swaggy P has been, but even I say that GSW would be rolling the dice and counting on an semi-unproven 2-way player.

Yeah, Zeller and Henson didn't light up the world at all. But they won. I know the games don't matter much for GSW, but I still don't like losing.

9F

martydoesntfoul
03-30-2018, 08:18 PM
Cook was hunting for his shot and nailing 3s. Offensively, he looked great. His D is suspect though - he had 5 fouls as he does struggle with quickness and has to foul. He seems to have the offensive chops to stick around, but he does need to work on his D.

I'd love for GSW to keep him. I hated having Barnes and McAdoo on the team before. But if I'm objective I do think it may be stretch to keep him on the post-reason roster if Curry is just out for the first round. Others are more proven or GSW has years of investment in them. To me the choice would be to cut Nick Young and hope Cook could be the instant offense that Swaggy P has been, but even I say that GSW would be rolling the dice and counting on an semi-unproven 2-way player.

Yeah, Zeller and Henson didn't light up the world at all. But they won. I know the games don't matter much for GSW, but I still don't like losing.

9F
You have by far the most pessimistic take on Quinn’s playoff roster chances I’ve seen. Maybe you know something the rest of us don’t, but I certainly hope he proves you wrong :-)

SF Dukie
03-30-2018, 08:34 PM

I don't think any of his shots even touched the rim, nothing but net. He had a couple of nice reverse layups over bigger defenders too. And the meeting of the brotherhood with Jabari and Marshall after the game was sweet.

elvis14
03-30-2018, 11:21 PM
You have by far the most pessimistic take on Quinn’s playoff roster chances I’ve seen. Maybe you know something the rest of us don’t, but I certainly hope he proves you wrong :-)

Although, I would love to see QC on the roster, the GSW would need to cut another player to make room for him. I think it's obvious that he belongs and that they could use him to help cover Curry's minutes in the first round of the playoffs but when you look at their roster, you can see where it might be tough to make that cut.

tbyers11
03-30-2018, 11:50 PM
Although, I would love to see QC on the roster, the GSW would need to cut another player to make room for him. I think it's obvious that he belongs and that they could use him to help cover Curry's minutes in the first round of the playoffs but when you look at their roster, you can see where it might be tough to make that cut.

Damian Jones seems like the easiest choice to me.

elvis14
03-31-2018, 12:04 AM

Had the same thought but was too lazy to look up the players I didn't know much about (including Jones) so I didn't want to speculate.

Having QC start the first playoff series and help them win without Curry might go a long way toward getting him a contract next season.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-01-2018, 08:56 PM
I'm a little late to the party on this but I am used to the star player or a veteran being introduced last, especially at home. So it was awesome to just see QC get introduced last, after Durant, Green, Klay and Looney. Keep up the great work!

richardjackson199
04-01-2018, 10:12 PM
Quinn started and having another impressive game vs. Phoenix. Starting 4th Quarter Warriors up 94-77 over Suns.

So far: FG - 7/9; 3Pointers - 3/4; 17 points; 2 rebounds; 4 assists; 2 Steals; 2 Turnovers; +/- = + 27

Quinnsanity!

kako
04-01-2018, 10:46 PM

The problem with Jones is that they would 1) be giving up on him, and 2) he's on contract for 2 more seasons and guaranteed another $2.9M. I don't think they are ready to give up on him - they picked up his option at the beginning of the season. Plus, GSW strategy seems to be to have big men on the cheap. If Jones can produce, they have him for 2 more years and could not sign Pachulia or McGee (opening up a spot for Cook next year). The salary cap and not wanting to pay out millions of dollars for nothing (see Jason Thompson) have an effect. It is all about money.

When Curry comes back, he's obviously the starting PG. Livingston is still the backup PG. Kerr wisely didn't want to break up the 2nd team to start Livingston during Curry's absence (though it may happen for the playoffs now with Curry out for the first round). And I do think GSW could get by for the 1st round without Cook if everyone else besides Curry is healthy. If not, then again it means injuries play into signing Cook this year. McCaw's injury may be a factor now, but his status really isn't clear yet. They wouldn't drop him, but they may drop another to add another guard in Cook.

Cook will get a guaranteed contract next year, one way or another. He's scored double figures in 10 straight games now. He's passed his audition! But the fact that they have to drop a player in order to add Cook for the playoffs cannot be overstated. But I think that if they do, they would drop a player on a 1-year contract. That means Young, Pachulia, West, McGee or Casspi. Personally, I think Swaggy P is the most likely. Yeah, they are paying him $5.1M, but in the playoffs that's already over. Cook would have to continue his hot streak to convince management he's needed. He's hitting 40% from 3 in March while Young is on hitting on 33%.

Ian
04-01-2018, 11:01 PM
Whatever happens, Quin will get a guaranteed contract with somebody in the off season. So happy for him. The further away from 2015 we go the more it has become obvious that he was the glue that held everything together. We've had teams with comparable talent but not with comparable leadership since.

SF Dukie
04-02-2018, 01:48 AM

A lot of Bay Area writers keep saying Casspi is the most likely to get cut if the Warriors sign Quinn.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/csn/warriors/Casspi_defends_his_spot_on_Warriors__explains_why_ he_s_not_worried_about_being_cut.html

HereBeforeCoachK
04-02-2018, 07:10 AM
Whatever happens, Quin will get a guaranteed contract with somebody in the off season. So happy for him. The further away from 2015 we go the more it has become obvious that he was the glue that held everything together. We've had teams with comparable talent but not with comparable leadership since.

For this ^^ reason, Quinn is my all time favorite Duke player. His leadership started with his full immediate embrace of Tyus as point guard, and that set the stage for that amazing season.

Furniture
04-02-2018, 10:14 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeNBA/status/980637146636804097/photo/1

kako
04-02-2018, 01:05 PM
A lot of Bay Area writers keep saying Casspi is the most likely to get cut if the Warriors sign Quinn.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/csn/warriors/Casspi_defends_his_spot_on_Warriors__explains_why_ he_s_not_worried_about_being_cut.html

Key quote, which I believe is true:

"First of all, it's you guys (sportsyak) talking," Casspi said, referring to media. "I don't really feel it from the organization. At the end of the day, I'm focused on getting healthy and playing. That's all I can control."

Casspi shoots 3's, sure. But practically everybody on the team shoots 3s, save the bigs (which after watching Michigan play in the tourney, I'm sure GSW would live to get Wagner). Considerations based on the article about Casspi to keep in mind when considering cutting him:

- Casspi and Cook play two different positions. Casspi is Durant's backup, Cook is Curry's backup.
- Team chemistry is very important to GSW. Keeping a 2-way player off the post-season roster is easier on the team psyche than cutting a veteran.
- Both Casspi's and Cook's defense is subpar. I love Cook, but it's easy to see. One could argue Cook's deficiencies are even more critical if he has to face up to Chris Paul or Kyrie Irving.

But I really think Cook has a better chance replacing Swaggy P. Both are scorers, and Young's defense is as subpar as Cook's. By cutting Young, they have the MLE for next season (not for Cook, but for another player). And they can replace a scorer with a scorer. Again to do so, I think Cook has to keep hitting 3's at a 40% clip.

That GIF posted by @Furniture shows both Young and Cook laughing with Steve Kerr. There's more to it than just laughing. This was from GSW's game against the Suns in mid-March. Young was getting into it with the Suns about a hard foul. Some pushing started, and Young might have been tossed. But Cook came over and pulled Young away, leading him back to the bench. Kerr was there, hugged them all, and defused the situation. But here are two points: one, Cook's leadership to get a teammate out of trouble, and two) Young is volatile, while Cook is more level headed. Just another reason to pick Cook over Young if management decides to do sign Cook for the playoffs.

Edouble
04-02-2018, 02:02 PM

I have to disagree. That was obvious, at the latest, by midseason in 20014-15. Quinn's leadership was remarked on ad nauseum throughout that season.

fraggler
04-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Key quote, which I believe is true:

"First of all, it's you guys (sportsyak) talking," Casspi said, referring to media. "I don't really feel it from the organization. At the end of the day, I'm focused on getting healthy and playing. That's all I can control."

Casspi shoots 3's, sure. But practically everybody on the team shoots 3s, save the bigs (which after watching Michigan play in the tourney, I'm sure GSW would live to get Wagner). Considerations based on the article about Casspi to keep in mind when considering cutting him:

- Casspi and Cook play two different positions. Casspi is Durant's backup, Cook is Curry's backup.
- Team chemistry is very important to GSW. Keeping a 2-way player off the post-season roster is easier on the team psyche than cutting a veteran.
- Both Casspi's and Cook's defense is subpar. I love Cook, but it's easy to see. One could argue Cook's deficiencies are even more critical if he has to face up to Chris Paul or Kyrie Irving.

But I really think Cook has a better chance replacing Swaggy P. Both are scorers, and Young's defense is as subpar as Cook's. By cutting Young, they have the MLE for next season (not for Cook, but for another player). And they can replace a scorer with a scorer. Again to do so, I think Cook has to keep hitting 3's at a 40% clip.

That GIF posted by @Furniture shows both Young and Cook laughing with Steve Kerr. There's more to it than just laughing. This was from GSW's game against the Suns in mid-March. Young was getting into it with the Suns about a hard foul. Some pushing started, and Young might have been tossed. But Cook came over and pulled Young away, leading him back to the bench. Kerr was there, hugged them all, and defused the situation. But here are two points: one, Cook's leadership to get a teammate out of trouble, and two) Young is volatile, while Cook is more level headed. Just another reason to pick Cook over Young if management decides to do sign Cook for the playoffs.
How is McCaw? I saw him carted off on a stretcher but haven't looked for an update. If he were to miss a lot of time (another PGish guard missing for the first round), do you think that could impact Cook?

WillJ
04-02-2018, 02:33 PM
which after watching Michigan play in the tourney, I'm sure GSW would live to get Wagner).

I see that some draft boards have Mo Wagner as a 2nd round pick. I just do not understand that at all.

Ian
04-02-2018, 02:45 PM
I have to disagree. That was obvious, at the latest, by midseason in 20014-15. Quinn's leadership was remarked on ad nauseum throughout that season.

Yes we know it to be true, and maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I guess at the time I didn't appreciate fully the extent to which that was true.

JasonEvans
04-02-2018, 03:49 PM
I see that some draft boards have Mo Wagner as a 2nd round pick. I just do not understand that at all.

Yeah, if I was picking early in the 2nd round, I doubt I would use a pick on him.

He's slow and not particularly athletic. He does not rebound well and could be abused on D by quicker NBA PFs. He's also not very strong for a NBA forward. He has been hot from long range this season but it is still far from a sure-thing that he will be able to hit NBA threes. He's a stretch 4 who brings value on O, but not much on D. I see his upside as being in a NBA team's top 8 or 9 rotation, but I doubt he ever becomes a starter in the league.

-Jason "I could be wrong, but mid-late 2nd round feels about right for him. He would have to really show well at the combine to get much attention as a potential first round pick" Evans

WillJ
04-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Yeah, if I was picking early in the 2nd round, I doubt I would use a pick on him.

He's slow and not particularly athletic. He does not rebound well and could be abused on D by quicker NBA PFs. He's also not very strong for a NBA forward. He has been hot from long range this season but it is still far from a sure-thing that he will be able to hit NBA threes. He's a stretch 4 who brings value on O, but not much on D. I see his upside as being in a NBA team's top 8 or 9 rotation, but I doubt he ever becomes a starter in the league.

-Jason "I could be wrong, but mid-late 2nd round feels about right for him. He would have to really show well at the combine to get much attention as a potential first round pick" Evans

That's funny...I meant to note that I was surprised he is not a 1st round pick:). I could very easily see him being a starter in the league, your valid concerns about him notwithstanding. I just think that stretch fours are very much in demand right now, and he's a promising stretch four, IMO.

kako
04-02-2018, 05:52 PM
That's funny...I meant to note that I was surprised he is not a 1st round pick:). I could very easily see him being a starter in the league, your valid concerns about him notwithstanding. I just think that stretch fours are very much in demand right now, and he's a promising stretch four, IMO.

He's not a lottery pick, but I could see him going late first round. Which is where GSW will be. I think he would fit right into the Warrior rotation, particularly the small-ball ones. If all 5 players on the floor can hit the 3, things become very interesting.

Hello, Nova.

JasonEvans
04-02-2018, 09:04 PM
That's funny...I meant to note that I was surprised he is not a 1st round pick:)

I knew that. I was trying to be sorta funny in my response. My bad.

As I said, I think his only shot at the first round is to have a really, really good combine. Yes, he has skills that could translate to the NBA, but you just don't see that many slowish guys in the league these days and the ones you do see tend to be true physical beasts on the inside in terms of rebounding and defense, which are not attributes Wagner possesses. I'm thinking he's a mid-late 2nd rounder... which is where most of the mocks seem to have him (if they even have him being drafted).

dukelifer
04-02-2018, 10:33 PM
I knew that. I was trying to be sorta funny in my response. My bad.

As I said, I think his only shot at the first round is to have a really, really good combine. Yes, he has skills that could translate to the NBA, but you just don't see that many slowish guys in the league these days and the ones you do see tend to be true physical beasts on the inside in terms of rebounding and defense, which are not attributes Wagner possesses. I'm thinking he's a mid-late 2nd rounder... which is where most of the mocks seem to have him (if they even have him being drafted).
His stock is pretty high now. He is a really good college player- but he may not be a very good NBA player- just different games. I think he gets a second round pick and sticks. He will get stronger.

Furniture
04-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Where has the Quinn-sanity gone?

kako
04-02-2018, 11:48 PM
How is McCaw? I saw him carted off on a stretcher but haven't looked for an update. If he were to miss a lot of time (another PGish guard missing for the first round), do you think that could impact Cook?

Reports are he's doing OK. MRI, CT-scan, x-rays, etc. all came back negative. He's got a "lumbar spine contusion". But apparently he was able to walk today, which is a good sign. McCaw has already been ruled out of all basketball activity until a Thursday appointment with the docs. He won't be on the team's upcoming road trip. No timetable beyond that.

The NBA doesn't have an IR like the NFL. You can't stash a player, only make them inactive for a game. So they would still have to cut a player to add Cook for the playoffs. If we say McCaw is out for the playoffs, then perhaps that does mean that they would sign Cook. Then probably Casspi is the target for the cut. But this will only be decided after the regular season is over, and maybe McCaw is back then. So it's 5 for games for the Dubs - who knows if there are other injuries - and only then will we know what happens to Cook for the playoffs.

martydoesntfoul
04-03-2018, 02:00 AM
Quinn-sanity is real! Great blurb here including comparative Lin stats, assist-to-turnover ratio, importance to Warriors, actual use of the term QUINNSANITY, etc. The blogger believes this should be a national story. I agree. And so does my 9 year-old, who today had a choice of any NBA jersey and, well, you can guess the rest.

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2018/4/2/17189356/nba-2018-analysis-quinn-cook-had-a-wonderful-month-but-hardly-anyone-noticed

sagegrouse
04-03-2018, 09:13 AM
Quinn-sanity is real! Great blurb here including comparative Lin stats, assist-to-turnover ratio, importance to Warriors, actual use of the term QUINNSANITY, etc. The blogger believes this should be a national story. I agree. And so does my 9 year-old, who today had a choice of any NBA jersey and, well, you can guess the rest.

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2018/4/2/17189356/nba-2018-analysis-quinn-cook-had-a-wonderful-month-but-hardly-anyone-noticed

Kicker in the article:

And that, my friends, is why Quinn Cook is the Warriors Wonder for the month of March.

UrinalCake
04-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Dang, I should have trademarked the term when I had a chance 8-)

martydoesntfoul
04-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Dang, I should have trademarked the term when I had a chance 8-)Truer words have not been spoken. Congrats UC: you’re a marketing genius!

Duke05
04-03-2018, 06:58 PM

The top comment:

Top five active 3 pt. shooters, career (min. 100 attempts, min. 5 attempts per 36)

1. Steph Curry, GS .436
2. Kyle Korver, CLE .432
3. Seth Curry, DAL .432
4. Quinn Cook, GS .425
5. Klay Thompson, GS .422

Pretty ridiculous. Great to see Seth there, too.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-03-2018, 09:39 PM
Pretty ridiculous. Great to see Seth there, too.

Yeah, I always liked Seth....good player, over shadowed of course....

Also, Quinn zero points tonight at half....

richardjackson199
04-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I always liked Seth...good player, over shadowed of course...

Also, Quinn zero points tonight at half...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I don't pay much attention to NBA until playoffs start. Sportscenter had a guy on speculating that Warriors will throw this game intentionally because they really don't want OKC to fall to 8 seed (or whatever seed they would play in first round) because Curry might still be out. And Warriors don't need to win this game for their playoff seeding, but OKC does. The guy said Warriors can't say that, but they absolutely know it.

Quinn doing ok - 2 out of 4 from 3; 4 assists; 2 rebounds; 0 turnovers; 8 points so far

BigZ
04-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Quinn ices game at the line. 12&6 not bad but Westbrook dropped 44&16

kako
04-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Quinn ices game at the line. 12&6 not bad but Westbrook dropped 44&16

Well, Klay Thompson always guards the best player - his D is great. Cook was on the other guard. But D is really his Achilles' heel in the NBA. Hopefully he works a lot on that in the offseason.

Another double figure game for our boy, on 4-6 shooting (2-4 from 3), plus 6 assists in a Warrior game-high 37 minutes (Shaun Livingston, normally GSW's backup PG, did not play due to "personal reasons"). Cook also played better than Nick Young, who I think GSW would cut if they activate Cook.

Furniture
04-03-2018, 11:22 PM
Well, Klay Thompson always guards the best player - his D is great. Cook was on the other guard. But D is really his Achilles' heel in the NBA. Hopefully he works a lot on that in the offseason.

Another double figure game for our boy, on 4-6 shooting (2-4 from 3), plus 6 assists in a Warrior game-high 37 minutes (Shaun Livingston, normally GSW's backup PG, did not play due to "personal reasons"). Cook also played better than Nick Young, who I think GSW would cut if they activate Cook.

I don’t know anything about basketball but in regards Quinn’s D I really like his energy and intensity!

martydoesntfoul
04-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Some more terrific Quinn news...

Point guard Quinn Cook’s recent emergence with the Warriors has overshadowed a special honor: He is the first player in the 17-year history of the G League (formerly the Development League) to shoot 50 percent from the field, 40 percent from three-point range and 90 percent from the foul line in a season.

One of Golden State’s two players on a two-way contract, Cook, 25, averaged a team-high 25.3 points on 52.4 percent shooting from the field, 43.7 percent from three-point range and 95 percent from the foul line in 29 games.

https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/amp/Warriors-Quinn-Cook-becomes-first-G-League-12803347.php

martydoesntfoul
04-04-2018, 01:02 PM
And this!

“Patrick McCaw, Nick Young, Omri Casspi, Shaun Livingston, and the merry band of the revolving door of centers that include Kevon Looney, Zaza Pachulia, David West, and JaVale McGee. I just about named the entire Warriors roster outside of the Core Four and Andre Iguodala and I’m still missing the most important person this postseason. Quinn Cook was nowhere no anyone’s radar before the season started and with 5 games left in the regular season, he’s played himself into a position where the Warriors would be in relatively steep trouble not in the first round but throughout the entire postseason without his presence.”

http://www.warriorsworld.net/2018/04/02/quinn-cook-the-warriors-postseason-x-factor/

kako
04-04-2018, 01:56 PM
The media and fans are going gaga over Cook, which is great. His offensive play has been stellar, and in last night's victory he helped the Dubs win a game against an actual playoff team (previously doing so against the Kings, Suns, Hawks, etc. is nice, but let's face it - those teams suck. His numbers were ok against the Pacers, Bucks, Spurs, etc, but GSW lost those games. So beating the Thunder in OKC was a much bigger deal). Unless Cook nose dives, I think we can expect to see lots of positive pub. But the key item is still this - who will GSW cut to sign Cook for the playoffs? Or will they even do this? It's easy for sportsyak to say he needs to stay, but it's up to management and their feeling of the locker room, contracts and potential from April to June that matters. So I'm watching the injury report/DNPs along with an eye on the salaries/contracts to see if someone comes into focus. It's about another week until this will be set.

But make no mistake - barring something catastrophic, he will be signed to a guaranteed contract next season with somebody. He's played his last game in the G-League.

Acymetric
04-04-2018, 02:11 PM
It seems like they have an awful lot of reserve centers on the bench, it would seem to me it has to be one of those guys if it happens but I have no idea who they would be willing to cut ties with. Obviously there is an eye to future seasons in terms of cutting a guy under contract, but turning on the tunnel vision and looking solely at this year's playoffs it would see much more important to have solid options at PG (of course Livingston is also one) should Curry miss more time than expected than to have umpteen backup caliber Centers for a team that spends portions of games going small anyway.

-bdbd
04-04-2018, 02:30 PM
The media and fans are going gaga over Cook, which is great. His offensive play has been stellar, and in last night's victory he helped the Dubs win a game against an actual playoff team (previously doing so against the Kings, Suns, Hawks, etc. is nice, but let's face it - those teams suck. His numbers were ok against the Pacers, Bucks, Spurs, etc, but GSW lost those games. So beating the Thunder in OKC was a much bigger deal). Unless Cook nose dives, I think we can expect to see lots of positive pub. But the key item is still this - who will GSW cut to sign Cook for the playoffs? Or will they even do this? It's easy for sportsyak to say he needs to stay, but it's up to management and their feeling of the locker room, contracts and potential from April to June that matters. So I'm watching the injury report/DNPs along with an eye on the salaries/contracts to see if someone comes into focus. It's about another week until this will be set.

But make no mistake - barring something catastrophic, he will be signed to a guaranteed contract next season with somebody. He's played his last game in the G-League.

Really happy to see this. Couldn’t be happening to a better guy. He definitely earned it. You would think that GS, not knowing how dependable Curry is going to be, would want the extra insurance in the playoffs...

kako
04-04-2018, 03:14 PM
It seems like they have an awful lot of reserve centers on the bench, it would seem to me it has to be one of those guys if it happens but I have no idea who they would be willing to cut ties with. Obviously there is an eye to future seasons in terms of cutting a guy under contract, but turning on the tunnel vision and looking solely at this year's playoffs it would see much more important to have solid options at PG (of course Livingston is also one) should Curry miss more time than expected than to have umpteen backup caliber Centers for a team that spends portions of games going small anyway.

GSW uses a center-by-committee approach. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and Coach Steve Kerr plays each one depending on the matchup. And even during a game, it's rare to see any 5 get 20+ minutes. It's usually shared between bigs. So cutting one means losing a part of the plan. That's why I keep focusing on Nick Young as the one who gets cut - assuming McCaw is back for the playoffs.

And one other factor - Cook may want to hold out and not sign if the deal from GSW isn't good enough. He may want a multi-year guaranteed contract because some other PG-needy team may pay him that, especially if Quinn-sanity keeps him in the press. GSW does have financial limitations given the Big 4 of Durant, Curry, Green and Thompson. And they are paying Igoudala and Livingston good money as well over 3 years. Money matters, so if GSW cannot pay him something close to what he's worth on the market, he may not sign anyway. Assuming I understand 2-way contracts, he's a RFA after the season. So GSW would have to match what another team offers. Signing before he becomes a RFA would not let him test the market.

HopJokey
04-04-2018, 03:16 PM
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/981605012517326850

Looks like Quinn will be a Warrior through the 2019 season.

JasonEvans
04-04-2018, 03:36 PM
If Quinn takes less than $3 mil per season, I think he is making a mistake. I am pretty confident he would have gotten at least a 3-year, $9 mil deal this offseason... perhaps even a little bit more than that.

SCMatt33
04-04-2018, 03:44 PM
GSW uses a center-by-committee approach. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and Coach Steve Kerr plays each one depending on the matchup. And even during a game, it's rare to see any 5 get 20+ minutes. It's usually shared between bigs. So cutting one means losing a part of the plan. That's why I keep focusing on Nick Young as the one who gets cut - assuming McCaw is back for the playoffs.

And one other factor - Cook may want to hold out and not sign if the deal from GSW isn't good enough. He may want a multi-year guaranteed contract because some other PG-needy team may pay him that, especially if Quinn-sanity keeps him in the press. GSW does have financial limitations given the Big 4 of Durant, Curry, Green and Thompson. And they are paying Igoudala and Livingston good money as well over 3 years. Money matters, so if GSW cannot pay him something close to what he's worth on the market, he may not sign anyway. Assuming I understand 2-way contracts, he's a RFA after the season. So GSW would have to match what another team offers. Signing before he becomes a RFA would not let him test the market.

So recent news that he's in discussions with the Warriors aside, I don't realistically think he would be getting much more from other teams. He's played a really small sample size of games, but beyond that, assuming his contract is converted to an NBa deal for him to play in the playoffs (a foregone conclusion at this point), he would be subject to what is known as the Gilbert Arenas provision. The short version is that the rule is in place to prevent teams from signing offer sheets to players like Cook who have been in the league for a short enough time that even his original team couldn't have bird rights to a contract bigger than the mid-level exception so that his original team can't be priced out of matching by rule. Now since the Warriors are highly likely to be tax payers next year, they aren't fully protected by this as a team can sign him to the full mid level if they chose and the Warriors couldn't match if they only had a tax payer mid level available. The difference for this year was about 5 million vs 8 million, but either way, I don't see teams lining up to offer 8 million to Cook based on the small sample size.

kako
04-04-2018, 03:45 PM
If Quinn takes less than $3 mil per season, I think he is making a mistake. I am pretty confident he would have gotten at least a 3-year, $9 mil deal this offseason... perhaps even a little bit more than that.

It will be interesting to see what he does. Stay with GSW - championship caliber organization all-around with young stars - or wait to sign with a lesser organization, endure losing, etc. for potentially more money. As a reference for us Devils, Seth Curry signed for 2 yrs/$6M, but he had to play for the Kings and now the Mavs.

kako
04-04-2018, 03:53 PM
So recent news that he's in discussions with the Warriors aside, I don't realistically think he would be getting much more from other teams. He's played a really small sample size of games, but beyond that, assuming his contract is converted to an NBa deal for him to play in the playoffs (a foregone conclusion at this point), he would be subject to what is known as the Gilbert Arenas provision. The short version is that the rule is in place to prevent teams from signing offer sheets to players like Cook who have been in the league for a short enough time that even his original team couldn't have bird rights to a contract bigger than the mid-level exception so that his original team can't be priced out of matching by rule. Now since the Warriors are highly likely to be tax payers next year, they aren't fully protected by this as a team can sign him to the full mid level if they chose and the Warriors couldn't match if they only had a tax payer mid level available. The difference for this year was about 5 million vs 8 million, but either way, I don't see teams lining up to offer 8 million to Cook based on the small sample size.

I've read that 2-way contracts accrue Bird rights. No?

Anyway you could be right about the $$, but since the NBA is all about paying for potential, some team might go high... though I agree $8M for him would be ridiculous. For reference GSW is paying the proven Livingston around $7.6M.

SCMatt33
04-04-2018, 04:07 PM
I've read that 2-way contracts accrue Bird rights. No?

Anyway you could be right about the $$, but since the NBA is all about paying for potential, some team might go high... though I agree $8M for him would be ridiculous. For reference GSW is paying the proven Livingston around $7.6M.

They probably do, though I'm not well versed on that, but early bird rights take two years and full bird rights take 3, this is why the Arenas provision was invented. He hadn't been in the league long enough for anyone to have his bird rights and even though he was technically a restricted free agent, his original team was prevented from matching by rule which made the fact he was restricted moot.

kako
04-04-2018, 04:18 PM
They probably do, though I'm not well versed on that, but early bird rights take two years and full bird rights take 3, this is why the Arenas provision was invented. He hadn't been in the league long enough for anyone to have his bird rights and even though he was technically a restricted free agent, his original team was prevented from matching by rule which made the fact he was restricted moot.

2-ways being new, there's a lot of confusion. But I found this:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q32

Last sentence: Bird rights accrue for a player signed to a Two-Way contract... the same as for a player signed to a standard NBA contract.

Also just saw this:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/981366202374213633

Key quote: “He's (Cook) probably not going to be a 30-point guy in the playoffs. That's not how the playoffs work. This is more like a playoff game — you got KD, Westbrook taking 25, 30 shots, whatever they took. The stars are dominating, but the role players have to do their job. I thought Quinn did that.”

Which says that Kerr assumes he's going to be there, too. Signing him now is key. But I don't think we will hear anything until the end of the season, since they can keep Cook and whoever is being cut on the roster until then.

SCMatt33
04-04-2018, 04:30 PM
2-ways being new, there's a lot of confusion. But I found this:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q32

Last sentence: Bird rights accrue for a player signed to a Two-Way contract... the same as for a player signed to a standard NBA contract.

Also just saw this:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/981366202374213633

Key quote: “He's (Cook) probably not going to be a 30-point guy in the playoffs. That's not how the playoffs work. This is more like a playoff game — you got KD, Westbrook taking 25, 30 shots, whatever they took. The stars are dominating, but the role players have to do their job. I thought Quinn did that.”

Which says that Kerr assumes he's going to be there, too. Signing him now is key. But I don't think we will hear anything until the end of the season, since they can keep Cook and whoever is being cut on the roster until then.

Thanks for that, although it is worth noting that it's moot for Cook since his contract is going to be converted for this season (even if it's technically only for the last couple of days). If he's going to sign a multiyear deal, what would likely make sense for both sides is for two years beyond this one. That would put him at the end of his fourth year in the league and third with the team, so Cook would have the advantage of unrestricted free agency and the team would have full bird rights to sign him over the cap without using an exception.

The two way bird rights could be a big deal for Amile Jefferson though if he were to have a Quinn like break out at some point and stay with the T-wolves.

JonnyWonder
04-04-2018, 04:47 PM
A few more details from this brief article on espn.com (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23029137/the-golden-state-warriors-guard-quinn-cook-serious-talks-multi-year-deal). Nothing too new from what's been discussed, but a few clear indications of how hard Quinn has worked, and how GSW are valuing him.

In what will be the first deal of its kind, a two-year guaranteed pact is being ironed out and is expected to completed before the April 10 deadline in order for Cook to be playoff-eligible, sources tell ESPN.

Cook, 25, is expected to be the first player in history to turn a two-way contract into postseason invite.

[Quinn] will enter postseason play at the team's starting point guard.

Seems like someone will definitely be cut, but no indication who. Damien Jones played 14 minutes last night against the Thunder and went 4-4 with a +9, Swaggy P played 28 minutes and was +13. Not sure if they'll give up either of those guys. McCaw and Casspi seem more likely to me given their injuries. Maybe with Casspi they figure if Durant goes down to injury, they aren't beating the Rockets anyway with Casspi in his place, so better to have a backup to Curry (who seems definitely out for the first round) and let Livingston keep running the 2nd unit, which is really his sweet spot.

But speculation aside, so great to see Quinn not just play his way into an NBA contract, but into a great situation on the most talented, and arguably best run team in the league!

kAzE
04-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Seems like someone will definitely be cut, but no indication who.

I've heard Omri Casspi would be cut in the case that the Warriors reach a deal with Quinn.

JetpackJesus
04-04-2018, 09:14 PM
A few more details from this brief article on espn.com (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23029137/the-golden-state-warriors-guard-quinn-cook-serious-talks-multi-year-deal). Nothing too new from what's been discussed, but a few clear indications of how hard Quinn has worked, and how GSW are valuing him.

Seems like someone will definitely be cut, but no indication who. Damien Jones played 14 minutes last night against the Thunder and went 4-4 with a +9, Swaggy P played 28 minutes and was +13. Not sure if they'll give up either of those guys. McCaw and Casspi seem more likely to me given their injuries. Maybe with Casspi they figure if Durant goes down to injury, they aren't beating the Rockets anyway with Casspi in his place, so better to have a backup to Curry (who seems definitely out for the first round) and let Livingston keep running the 2nd unit, which is really his sweet spot.

But speculation aside, so great to see Quinn not just play his way into an NBA contract, but into a great situation on the most talented, and arguably best run team in the league!

FWIW, Kerr said recently (maybe even a couple weeks ago) that Curry is 100% not playing in the first round of the playoffs.

fan345678
04-04-2018, 09:27 PM

From the article: "When Stephen Curry reinjured his ankle, sidelining him for the next month or so, Cook's value to the team increased expeditiously."

Tough break for Quinn. It sounds like the Warriors are more interested in rushing into a deal than they are in increasing Quinn's salary. If only his value had increased exponentially...

moonpie23
04-04-2018, 09:54 PM
ugh.....what am i going to do if QC is a "real" Dub??? this makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit........pull for Quinn and have to watch KD and the mouthpiece win? dang......

esher....

kako
04-04-2018, 10:41 PM
ugh...what am i going to do if QC is a "real" Dub??? this makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit...pull for Quinn and have to watch KD and the mouthpiece win? dang...

esher...

Being local, I pull for GSW. Though I understand your pain in a way - I had to watch Barnes and McAdoo win rings with GSW. So happy they are gone and now a Blue Devil will be here.

Side note - a lot of fellow GSW fans were surprised about the anti-Warrior sentiment around the country. They just didn't understand how people could hate the team - they scored, passed the ball, hit 3's, etc.. I tried to explain - people can say what they want, but everyone pulls for you... until you win. Then winners generate animosity. Some fans emerge but the majority is against you. I told them my lessons from Duke starting in the mid-80's - the country's darlings - to the early 90's when true Duke hatred emerged. Once you win a title, everyone's gunning for you!... But the big thing is that people don't hate losers. No one hates, says, Minnesota (Golden Gophers. T-Wolves, Vikings, etc.) nationally. But if they win a title, then the haters come out. And they stay out as long as the team is good. Does anyone really hate UNLV anymore? No, because the Runnin' Rebs now are mediocre. But Duke (still good) has a long history of continued hatred. As a supporter, you just need to revel in it.

9F

SoCalDukeFan
04-05-2018, 12:35 AM
I think Captain Cook is perhaps the major reason we won the NC in 2015. Look up "senior leadership" and you should see his picture.

Really happy for him. Obviously a super organization. Will be rooting for them.

SoCal

awhom111
04-05-2018, 12:37 AM
From the article: "When Stephen Curry reinjured his ankle, sidelining him for the next month or so, Cook's value to the team increased expeditiously."

Tough break for Quinn. It sounds like the Warriors are more interested in rushing into a deal than they are in increasing Quinn's salary. If only his value had increased exponentially...

Actually, this is more than the Warriors have to do. They can unilaterally convert his two-way contract to an NBA contract, which would have weaker guarantees than the deal parameters that have been floating around. Sure a contract could be friendlier to Quinn, but this is probably going to be the most reasonable offer realistically possible.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-05-2018, 06:49 AM
Being local, I pull for GSW. Though I understand your pain in a way - I had to watch Barnes and McAdoo win rings with GSW. So happy they are gone and now a Blue Devil will be here.

Side note - a lot of fellow GSW fans were surprised about the anti-Warrior sentiment around the country. They just didn't understand how people could hate the team - they scored, passed the ball, hit 3's, etc.. I tried to explain - people can say what they want, but everyone pulls for you... until you win. Then winners generate animosity. Some fans emerge but the majority is against you. I told them my lessons from Duke starting in the mid-80's - the country's darlings - to the early 90's when true Duke hatred emerged. Once you win a title, everyone's gunning for you!... But the big thing is that people don't hate losers. No one hates, says, Minnesota (Golden Gophers. T-Wolves, Vikings, etc.) nationally. But if they win a title, then the haters come out. And they stay out as long as the team is good. Does anyone really hate UNLV anymore? No, because the Runnin' Rebs now are mediocre. But Duke (still good) has a long history of continued hatred. As a supporter, you just need to revel in it.

9F

Yes, as someone only peripherally interested in NBA ball, a few years ago GSW was the new hot toy on sports media. Games were must see - check out what these guys are doing, it is fun good basketball! The way the game is meant to take be played.

Well, Warrior Fatigue has set in. Discussion now is whether they are "bad for basketball" and whether people will even tune in if there is another Cavs/GSW final.

It is just another result of the media trying to get their hot take in before the next guy/gal. Soon enough, someone will come up with the revolutionary perspective that Golden State is fun again, and somehow reflects the best of the NBA.

*shrugs*

I don't put much weight in the media takes. As a point of reference, look at the rise, fall, and rise if Sean Miller.

JasonEvans
04-05-2018, 07:30 AM
San Jose Mercury News reporting they are talking about a 2 year deal. I'm guessing it will be 2 years, for maybe $4 million (perhaps even less).

DukieInBrasil
04-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Actually, this is more than the Warriors have to do. They can unilaterally convert his two-way contract to an NBA contract, which would have weaker guarantees than the deal parameters that have been floating around. Sure a contract could be friendlier to Quinn, but this is probably going to be the most reasonable offer realistically possible.

i think he was punning. Expeditiously -> quickly, exponentially -> more money.

martydoesntfoul
04-06-2018, 12:10 AM
High praise from Steve Kerr:

“His talent is obvious. He’s a great shooter. But it’s his character, work ethic and what his teammates think of him that really stands out,” Kerr said. “He’s one of those guys that gets it. He understands the value of hard work, the value of staying ready and producing when we call upon you and not complaining and supporting everyone else when we don’t. But not everybody is like that.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/05/steve-kerr-quinn-cook-is-one-of-the-most-professional-people-ive-ever-been-around/amp/

martydoesntfoul
04-07-2018, 02:22 AM
More speculation regarding who might get cut to make room for Quinn. Author seems to think Casspi or Looney...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2768702-whos-the-odd-man-out-on-warriors-playoff-roster-theres-no-easy-choice.amp.html

construe
04-08-2018, 12:55 AM
Quinn had another nice shooting night tonight. That dude is a 180 guy! (Or just about...and not sure what minimum is required to qualify.)

At the very end of the ESPN recap, Anthony Davis is seen giving him a hug and speaking to him for a bit. Wonder what he said? Seems like he has fans among several big-time NBA-ers. Wasn't Quinn briefly with the Pelicans?

For the last couple of years, I really only found myself keeping tabs on JJ...another guy who everyone thought wouldn't make it, but now is also nearly a 180 guy. Now I'm finding myself following Quinn for very similar reasons. Hope he's a late bloomer just like JJ!

juise
04-08-2018, 01:04 AM
And the other shoe has finally dropped.

Caspi released (https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/982837039312855040) to make room for Quinn’s signing.

Duke05
04-08-2018, 07:56 AM
And the other shoe has finally dropped.

Caspi released (https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/982837039312855040) to make room for Quinn’s signing.

Tough break for Omri, who reportedly signed for a lot less to play for the Warriors to get a shot at a title. Injuries derailed his season.

Interesting game last night. NO started 10-10 from the field (Quinn was 4-4 during that stretch, and I think but am not 100% sure that he started 5-5 from 3, not missing a 3 until the 3rd quarter). Quinn's defense still isn't where it needs to be; a rejuvenated Rondo made him look silly all night, and even on switches, Quinn always seemed to be a step slow and chasing his man. Kerr had been substituting him as a starter, but he took him off the floor in favor of a D lineup for most of the attempted Warriors comeback at the end of the game. That said, he looked superb on offense. It was surprising when his shots didn't go in, and he created more opportunities for himself with good off-ball movement than I would have expected with Durant, Thompson, and Green back from injury. His teammates were definitely looking for him.

Great to see him succeeding!

Acymetric
04-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Does the timing prevent Omri from going through waivers/signing with another playoff team (not saying anyone would be interested, but if they were)? Seems tough to get cut like that if you don't have the option to sign elsewhere before the deadline. Still, very cool for Quinn!

richardjackson199
04-08-2018, 12:40 PM
From ESPN re: Casspi:
"But should the Warriors repeat, he would be offered a championship ring. Casspi has never played in the postseason."

Duke05
04-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Does the timing prevent Omri from going through waivers/signing with another playoff team (not saying anyone would be interested, but if they were)? Seems tough to get cut like that if you don't have the option to sign elsewhere before the deadline. Still, very cool for Quinn!

Yep. I read somewhere that you have to be cut by 1 March to be eligible to play in the playoffs for another team -- so definitely a bummer for Omri.

That said, someone wasn't going to make the playoff roster, so I suppose I'm glad that someone wasn't Quinn :).

g-money
04-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Tough break for Omri, who reportedly signed for a lot less to play for the Warriors to get a shot at a title. Injuries derailed his season.

Interesting game last night. NO started 10-10 from the field (Quinn was 4-4 during that stretch, and I think but am not 100% sure that he started 5-5 from 3, not missing a 3 until the 3rd quarter). Quinn's defense still isn't where it needs to be; a rejuvenated Rondo made him look silly all night, and even on switches, Quinn always seemed to be a step slow and chasing his man. Kerr had been substituting him as a starter, but he took him off the floor in favor of a D lineup for most of the attempted Warriors comeback at the end of the game. That said, he looked superb on offense. It was surprising when his shots didn't go in, and he created more opportunities for himself with good off-ball movement than I would have expected with Durant, Thompson, and Green back from injury. His teammates were definitely looking for him.

Great to see him succeeding!

I was at the game last night and think your analysis is right on. Quinn's offensive game looked spotless. He'll need to work on his D to make it in the League long term. Some of that work will be of a physical nature (strength, quickness, physicality), and some will be mental. For example, last night I thought he would have been better off going under the ball screen and daring Rondo to shoot. It was amazing how quickly the ball screens stopped coming for Rondo once Iggy was subbed in.

Anyway, talk about an amazing story and journey for Quinn. Is it possible that this could be the best G-League->NBA success story the league has ever had? If Quinn is a meaningful contributer in the playoffs, I think it would be.

We are pulling for you, Quinn! Keep working!

kAzE
04-08-2018, 02:35 PM
What an amazing story. Go Quinn!!!!

BigZ
04-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Is Quinn the best NBA player from the 2015 Duke team?

Indoor66
04-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Is Quinn the best NBA player from the 2015 Duke team?

No. That is Winslow. There is more than just offense.

Furniture
04-08-2018, 05:32 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/sources-warriors-agree-multiyear-deal-quinn-cook-185617918.html?__twitter_impression=true

moonpie23
04-08-2018, 05:50 PM
High five to quinn...........way to go, man!!

sagegrouse
04-08-2018, 06:16 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/sources-warriors-agree-multiyear-deal-quinn-cook-185617918.html?__twitter_impression=true

Money quote [literally]:

The Golden State Warriors and guard Quinn Cook have agreed on a multiyear deal, which Cook is expected to sign by Tuesday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
No details available, but there don't seem to be any secrets in NBA salaries, so the terms will emerge.

kako
04-08-2018, 09:23 PM
At the very end of the ESPN recap, Anthony Davis is seen giving him a hug and speaking to him for a bit. Wonder what he said? Seems like he has fans among several big-time NBA-ers. Wasn't Quinn briefly with the Pelicans?

Yes, Cook played with the Pelicans on a 10-day last year at the end of the season. He played against GSW at the Warriors' home court and led NO in scoring that night. I remember KD and Cook talking at length after the game (I was there). GSW won handily - Curry burned Cook several times, but Cook's O was already on. It probably did impress the Warrior front office, and when the chance came to sign him for a 2-way, they did. Cook was in ATL's camp, and when ATL dropped him, GSW swooped in. Bob Meyers, the GSW GM, was talking about it last night during the Warriors telecast... before they cut Casspi.

kako
04-08-2018, 09:39 PM
I was at the game last night and think your analysis is right on. Quinn's offensive game looked spotless. He'll need to work on his D to make it in the League long term. Some of that work will be of a physical nature (strength, quickness, physicality), and some will be mental. For example, last night I thought he would have been better off going under the ball screen and daring Rondo to shoot. It was amazing how quickly the ball screens stopped coming for Rondo once Iggy was subbed in.

Anyway, talk about an amazing story and journey for Quinn. Is it possible that this could be the best G-League->NBA success story the league has ever had? If Quinn is a meaningful contributer in the playoffs, I think it would be.

Not sure about G-League since that's been around for some time one way or another... but since this is the first season of 2-ways, I'm pretty sure it's the best story for them.

Yeah, Cook really was out of position several times last night. Green lectured him once when the flubbed a pick and roll, ending up with both Green and Cook on the guard who was picking, leaving Unibrow to roll to the hoop uncontested. When the game was tight at the end, Kerr pulled Cook since he's a defensive liability. I think if Cook can keep his 3-point shooting up, he will be able to stay in the NBA. He's a good team player that already handles himself like a vet. But to get a mega contract, he will have to improve his D. Redick also had issues, and at first he was a question. But he got better and better, both at D and having other offensive moves in his bag... and now he's a 10+ year vet who made $25M this year alone. Cook's O is already fine for a young player, but his decisions and positioning on D will need to improve. I'm really happy that I can now watch him night after night!

I do feel a little badly for Casspi, it's got to be tough to swallow. But pro sports are a business first. He took the veteran's minimum to sign for the team, but injuries led to singling him out (but it wasn't just him - if McCaw had not been injured thus lowering the number of guards, a guard might have been cut instead). Yes, as the other poster said, I'm sure the Warriors will offer him a ring if they win it all. They are a class organization. For players who left after the season ended for their two championship seasons, they held ring ceremonies for those players when they returned with an opposing team.

SF Dukie
04-09-2018, 02:06 AM
Quinn had 14 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists against the Suns tonight. He made the shot of the game with this spin move for a layup.

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/video/shot-game-quinn-cook-spins-lane-lay

kako
04-09-2018, 02:04 PM
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/981612425807060993

For those of you keeping track, here's the financial reason why we likely won't hear that Cook has a signed contract until at least tomorrow. This season GSW has to pay a luxury tax of $3.25 on each $1.00 they spend on salary. So waiting until the last second to sign Cook saves them cash. Plus, if for some reason Cook gets injured, they won't sign a contract (knock on wood). Two more games to go, just stay healthy!

I read in The Athletic that Kerr told Casspi this weekend because it felt wrong to keep Casspi on the team for the final road trip knowing he was the odd man out. Also it reported that a 2-year contract for Cook would, in fact, include this year since it counts under league rules. It allows Cook to play in the playoffs this year, plus gives him a guarantee next year (pluses for both sides). Downside for him is that it's "only" a $1.54M salary figure next year as that's the MLE that GSW can use. Still, that's a lot more than this year. And next year he's still a RFA but GSW will have Early Bird rights... long story short is that he could make as much as $8M year after next from GSW if they want to keep him. And at that point, then Shaun Livingston's only on the hook for $2M guaranteed... so GSW could then let Livingston go and keep Cook as the primary PG backup to Curry.

All of this is nicely written up in The Athletic here: https://theathletic.com/301908/2018/04/07/leroux-what-a-two-year-contract-means-for-quinn-cook-and-the-warriors/
Not a promo, but I have found it to be a solid site for sports news (though it does require payment).

JasonEvans
04-10-2018, 10:17 AM
IAnyway, talk about an amazing story and journey for Quinn. Is it possible that this could be the best G-League->NBA success story the league has ever had? If Quinn is a meaningful contributer in the playoffs, I think it would be.

Well, Shaun Livingston Jeremy Lin spent some time in the D-League. So did Chris Andersen (the birdman), Gerald Green, Jeremy Lin, and Danny Green. The old CBA (Continental Basketball Assoc.) helped to develop guys like John Starks, Mario Elie, Bruce Bowen (one of the best defenders in basketball history) and Anthony Mason.

Quinn is a great story, but he has a long way to go to be the biggest success story to come from the NBA's minor leagues.

-Jason "I am sure I left out some big names above... anyone obvious I am missing?" Evans

sagegrouse
04-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Well, Shaun Livingston Jeremy Lin spent some time in the D-League. So did Chris Andersen (the birdman), Gerald Green, Jeremy Lin, and Danny Green. The old CBA (Continental Basketball Assoc.) helped to develop guys like John Starks, Mario Elie, Bruce Bowen (one of the best defenders in basketball history) and Anthony Mason.

Quinn is a great story, but he has a long way to go to be the biggest success story to come from the NBA's minor leagues.

-Jason "I am sure I left out some big names above... anyone obvious I am missing?" Evans

Is the G League used for or even available for "rehabilitation" assignments, much as major league baseball uses their AAA and even AA franchises?

fraggler
04-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Is the G League used for or even available for "rehabilitation" assignments, much as major league baseball uses their AAA and even AA franchises?

Sure, the corpse of Kendrick Perkins played in the G League just last season and he is now on the playoff roster for the Cavs...

JasonEvans
04-10-2018, 11:04 AM
To be clear, the guys I listed did not play in the CBA or D-League or G-League as part of the rehab assignment or anything like that. They played in the minor leagues prior to getting a shot in the NBA and then becoming legit NBA starters/stars.

-Jason "looking back at my list, I think Starks and Mason, who both made an All-Star game and were 6th man of the year, are just slightly below Bowen as the best former minor leaguer ever" Evans

CrazyNotCrazie
04-10-2018, 11:08 AM
To be clear, the guys I listed did not play in the CBA or D-League or G-League as part of the rehab assignment or anything like that. They played in the minor leagues prior to getting a shot in the NBA and then becoming legit NBA starters/stars.

-Jason "looking back at my list, I think Starks and Mason, who both made an All-Star game and were 6th man of the year, are just slightly below Bowen as the best former minor leaguer ever" Evans

The primary purpose of these leagues is obviously player development, but they also serve as a great training ground for coaches and front office personnel - I just did some web searching and saw that Phil Jackson, George Karl, Flip Saunders, and Bill and Eric Musselman all coached in the CBA. And I'm sure there are many others. I read an article a few months ago about how Stackhouse gave up an NBA assistant coaching job to be head coach of a G League team partially because he thought it gave him a great opportunity to have experience being the guy in charge.

COYS
04-10-2018, 11:12 AM
Sure, the corpse of Kendrick Perkins played in the G League just last season and he is now on the playoff roster for the Cavs...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sage was referring to rehab assignments in which an injured player comes off the Disabled List and then plays a few games in the minor leagues to get back into form before rejoining the MLB team rather than an older player going to the G-League to work his way back into the NBA for one last hurrah.

fraggler
04-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sage was referring to rehab assignments in which an injured player comes off the Disabled List and then plays a few games in the minor leagues to get back into form before rejoining the MLB team rather than an older player going to the G-League to work his way back into the NBA for one last hurrah.

Sorry, I don't watch baseball, so I might have missed his reference. I just saw rehab and extended its definition. Anyways, Jabari played in the G League earlier this year to work his way back into playing shape. I think the NBA uses the G League for whatever reasons it chooses. It is simply a pool of players that aren't good enough yet, for whatever reasons, to be active in the NBA.

kako
04-10-2018, 11:47 AM
The primary purpose of these leagues is obviously player development, but they also serve as a great training ground for coaches and front office personnel - I just did some web searching and saw that Phil Jackson, George Karl, Flip Saunders, and Bill and Eric Musselman all coached in the CBA. And I'm sure there are many others. I read an article a few months ago about how Stackhouse gave up an NBA assistant coaching job to be head coach of a G League team partially because he thought it gave him a great opportunity to have experience being the guy in charge.

Quin Snyder coached the Austin Toros in the D-League on his way back from the Mizzou fiasco.

Josh McRoberts spent some time in the D-League as a rookie. IIRC he was one of the first draft picks to be sent down there.

Fun fact for non-NBA followers: The "G" in G League stands for Gatorade. The NBA partnered with Gatorade to change the name from D-League to G League.

wilson
04-10-2018, 11:56 AM
...Is it possible that this could be the best G-League->NBA success story the league has ever had? If Quinn is a meaningful contributer in the playoffs, I think it would be...Add me to the chorus of voices proudly celebrating Quinn's catching on with the current #1 NBA franchise.
But in debating "the best G-League-->NBA success story the league has ever had," I think this guy (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769712-lakers-news-g-leaguer-andre-ingram-signs-nba-contract-after-10-years-in-league?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial) has to at least be in the conversation. Andrew Ingram, the leading 3-point shooter in G-League history and a ten year veteran of that league, just signed on to finish out the regular season (2 more games) with the Lakers, for his first ever NBA action. That's gotta be worth respect and celebration, no matter who you root for.

JasonEvans
04-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Wow... I really think Quinn is giving a bargain to the Dubs.

Reports are (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/04/warriors-agree-to-multi-year-deal-with-quinn-cook.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)that his deal is for the rest of this season at the NBA minimum -- which comes to just $15k but will get him extra money for each game they play in the playoffs and could earn him over $200k if they win the title. For next year, he is also signed to the NBA minimum, which will be around $936k next season. I'm assuming next year would be his second year in the league, not his first... though he has played in portions of 2 seasons. If he is seen as a 3rd year player, then his contract goes up to $1.05 mil for next season.

-Jason "I truly think Quinn could have made a couple mil more if he had opted to go into free agency this off-season, but he probably feels thankful to the Dubs for giving him his shot" Evans

mattman91
04-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Reports are (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/04/warriors-agree-to-multi-year-deal-with-quinn-cook.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)that his deal is for the rest of this season at the NBA minimum -- which comes to just $15k but will get him extra money for each game they play in the playoffs and could earn him over $200k if they win the title. For next year, he is also signed to the NBA minimum, which will be around $936k next season. I'm assuming next year would be his second year in the league, not his first... though he has played in portions of 2 seasons. If he is seen as a 3rd year player, then his contract goes up to $1.05 mil for next season.

-Jason "I truly think Quinn could have made a couple mil more if he had opted to go into free agency this off-season, but he probably feels thankful to the Dubs for giving him his shot" Evans

Meh. Win an NBA Championship or two then go fishin' in free agency for the big bucks. The money he makes the rest of this season and next year will be a hell of a lot more money than what he has been paid the last couple of years.

Ian
04-10-2018, 12:51 PM

He'll be worth more in 2 years if plays a key role in a championship run. Plus what happens if he gets injured in the playoffs

Troublemaker
04-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Plus, there is value to being part of a great organization. Quinn is an NBA player regardless, but would his stats be as impressive if he had developed under a different organization, played in a different system, surrounded by different talent? I have to think GSW has played a role in his success. He's a young player, and staying in this learning environment for another season isn't a bad idea.

Plus, I don't necessarily think much larger money is out there for him. Many teams are still strapped for cap space after overspending in the summer of 2016. And many front offices will (a) want to see him perform at this level for a longer period of time and (b) understand that GSW is a great environment to succeed in.

UrinalCake
04-10-2018, 02:02 PM
If he waited and tested the free agent market, there’s still a chance nobody would want him. Hard to believe, but maybe they would view his excellent stretch of play as an anomaly and worry about his defense. Plus, staying with Golden State has the benefit of knowing that they will likely rest Curry a lot during the regular season each year, so he’s more likely to get playing time. Getting to play with so much talent around him makes his job easier too. Can’t blame Cook for taking the safest option after years of uncertainty.

kako
04-10-2018, 02:42 PM

He will be a 2nd year player next year (years are guaranteed contracts, not 10-days like Cook had last year. 2-ways may count as a year... but since he will be getting a guaranteed contract this year, the question here is moot).

He earned 200K this year as a 2-way player, so if GSW wins it all, it doubles his salary. If he signed for the minimum next year, that frees GSW to still use the MLE on another player - definitely a team benefit. But Cook has also shined with other GSW stars on the court. If you put him on Phoenix and teams collapsed on him, maybe his numbers fall dramatically. I think it's a decision Cook made due to the following factors:

1. He gets to showcase himself in the playoffs. In Round 1, he will likely start. National TV exposure, and if he continues his strong play, his value keeps rising. The PR value is high.
2. GSW is currently a premier franchise with a goal to play for the Larry O'Brien trophy, not "trust the process" or tank for draft picks or try to squeak into the playoffs. If he held out and gets signed by a team like the Suns, he is years from competing.
3. He has a chance to increase his salary year after next with GSW. GSW will have early Bird rights and could pay as much as $8M according to some sources. Trading Livingston then or even cutting him would be a possibility (only around $2M cap hit to GSW in 2020), which then puts Cook solidly in the backup PG role and off the bench scoring threat.
4. GSW gave him a chance after teams like the Hawks, Pelicans, Mavs, etc. passed on him. Cook probably has some appreciation for that fact.
5. He gets to play with his good friend Durant.
6. He has grown immensely in the Warrior system. He gets to learn D from Green. He learns PG from Curry. He competes daily to improve his 3PT shooting with Thompson and Curry.
7. He has finally "made it". He's got a guaranteed contract in the Association. His bucket list item is checked. No more unknowns. Who knows what could happen if he waits for RFA and next year's opening night?

All of this maybe costs him $300K. If he's got a long term plan (and he's already making a cool million), seems reasonable to me.

JasonEvans
04-10-2018, 04:20 PM
From what I have seen, Cook will earn $14,832 for the final 2 days of the season (plus some kind of playoff bouns) and $1.5 mil next year. I dunno how they came up with the $1.5 mil figure, but that's better than the minimum, so good for Quinn!

By the way, the $14.8k that Cook earns over the last 2 days will cost the Warriors $54K in luxury tax because, as a repeat tax offender, the Warriors pay tax at something like a 3.5-to-1 tax rate per dollar they spend. Now you know why they didn't sign him until the last possible moment. I think I saw that the Warriors are paying more than $30 mil in luxury tax this year... success is costly!

-Jason "as Kako said, grooming Quinn to be 32-year-old Shaun Livingston's replacement in a year or two makes a ton of sense for GSW" Evans

martydoesntfoul
04-10-2018, 05:05 PM
A great perspective on what is being asked of Quinn. So fired up for him to have this opportunity!

“What the Warriors are asking of Quinn Cook this month is ultra-challenging, certainly unfair and precisely what he knows best.

He is being required, out of necessity, to temporarily replace the most influential point guard in the NBA.

He is being assigned, after signing an official, multiyear NBA contract Tuesday, to fill the shoes of the most popular player in the league.”

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/csn/warriors/Filling_Steph_Curry_s_shoes_is_a_monumental_challe nge__but_Quinn_Cook_isn_t_sweating-479305693.html%3famp=y

moonpie23
04-10-2018, 05:40 PM
maybe KD, Thompson, Curry and Iggy will all have sore hamstrings and Quinn will lead the scrubs to the title game where he's out with the flu and they lose to lebron...

yeah.....

awhom111
04-10-2018, 09:41 PM
From what I have seen, Cook will earn $14,832 for the final 2 days of the season (plus some kind of playoff bouns) and $1.5 mil next year. I dunno how they came up with the $1.5 mil figure, but that's better than the minimum, so good for Quinn!

By the way, the $14.8k that Cook earns over the last 2 days will cost the Warriors $54K in luxury tax because, as a repeat tax offender, the Warriors pay tax at something like a 3.5-to-1 tax rate per dollar they spend. Now you know why they didn't sign him until the last possible moment. I think I saw that the Warriors are paying more than $30 mil in luxury tax this year... success is costly!

-Jason "as Kako said, grooming Quinn to be 32-year-old Shaun Livingston's replacement in a year or two makes a ton of sense for GSW" Evans

Assuming this is correct, and there's no reason to believe that it is not, Quinn's minimum will be $1.5 Million:
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/minimum_scale

As someone who has believe that he would eventually make it, this is why I was mad that no team gave him a 10 day contract during his rookie year, which would have bumped up his years of service and resulted in even more money when he finally got a full season contract.

pfrduke
04-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Add me to the chorus of voices proudly celebrating Quinn's catching on with the current #1 NBA franchise.
But in debating "the best G-League-->NBA success story the league has ever had," I think this guy (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769712-lakers-news-g-leaguer-andre-ingram-signs-nba-contract-after-10-years-in-league?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial) has to at least be in the conversation. Andrew Ingram, the leading 3-point shooter in G-League history and a ten year veteran of that league, just signed on to finish out the regular season (2 more games) with the Lakers, for his first ever NBA action. That's gotta be worth respect and celebration, no matter who you root for.

And he had 19 in 29 minutes off the bench, including going 4-5 from deep! Great night for Ingram.

BD80
04-11-2018, 10:00 AM

If it was "expensive" this year, wait until next year!

KD is opting out of the "bargain" contract of $26 mil/yr this summer, so he can get the real money he is due:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin-durant-will-reportedly-opt-out-of-contract-to-restructure-deal-with-warriors/

An extra $10 mil + per year for KD and an additional $35 mil+ for luxury tax? That'll leave a mark.

JasonEvans
04-11-2018, 11:15 AM
If it was "expensive" this year, wait until next year!

KD is opting out of the "bargain" contract of $26 mil/yr this summer, so he can get the real money he is due:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevin-durant-will-reportedly-opt-out-of-contract-to-restructure-deal-with-warriors/

An extra $10 mil + per year for KD and an additional $35 mil+ for luxury tax? That'll leave a mark.

Nick Young ($6.2 mil) and Zaza ($4.5 mil) are not coming back, not unless the agree to take the NBA minimum. If you merely look at the Warriors committed contracts for 2018-19 (Curry, Durant, Thopson, Green, Iggy, Livingston, Cook, Damian Jones, and Jordan Bell) you get a salary cap number of $128.9 million. The luxury tax threshold for next year is supposed to be $123 million. Even without signing a few other guys to NBA minimum deals, the Warriors are in Luxury tax territory.

So, if KD wants another $10 mil or so per season, which is what he should be paid (Steph makes $37 mil per year and KD is currently making $26 mil), the Warriors are going to be looking at massive tax bills. Iggy is due to make $16 mil next and then $17.1 mil the year after. The Warriors probably should have let him walk last summer rather than giving a 3-year, $48 mil deal to a 34 year old dude. Iggy is really good, but he has shown a noticeable decline this year and that's only going to get worse when he is 35 next year and 36 the year after (Vince Carter shakes his fist at me (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769934-vince-carter-on-possibility-of-retirement-i-plan-on-coming-back?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national)). If they win another title, I wonder if they can convince Iggy to retire?

-Jason "the other possibility would be to trade Livingston and his $8 mil contract for next season... that would free up more time for Quinn" Evans

kako
04-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Nick Young ($6.2 mil) and Zaza ($4.5 mil) are not coming back, not unless the agree to take the NBA minimum. If you merely look at the Warriors committed contracts for 2018-19 (Curry, Durant, Thopson, Green, Iggy, Livingston, Cook, Damian Jones, and Jordan Bell) you get a salary cap number of $128.9 million. The luxury tax threshold for next year is supposed to be $123 million. Even without signing a few other guys to NBA minimum deals, the Warriors are in Luxury tax territory.

So, if KD wants another $10 mil or so per season, which is what he should be paid (Steph makes $37 mil per year and KD is currently making $26 mil), the Warriors are going to be looking at massive tax bills. Iggy is due to make $16 mil next and then $17.1 mil the year after. The Warriors probably should have let him walk last summer rather than giving a 3-year, $48 mil deal to a 34 year old dude. Iggy is really good, but he has shown a noticeable decline this year and that's only going to get worse when he is 35 next year and 36 the year after (Vince Carter shakes his fist at me (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769934-vince-carter-on-possibility-of-retirement-i-plan-on-coming-back?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national)). If they win another title, I wonder if they can convince Iggy to retire?

-Jason "the other possibility would be to trade Livingston and his $8 mil contract for next season... that would free up more time for Quinn" Evans

I think so much depends on the Warriors at least getting to the finals. Teams pull in millions for each home game, so that goes a long way.

That being said...

Iggy won't retire. He held out for this deal, and GSW paid him. For those that are interested in the story, it's here. (https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/1/15909950/andre-iguodala-warriors-nba-free-agency-2017) As long as LeBron is at a high level on a contender, Iggy probably has a job with GSW next year (assuming GSW wins this year).

From what I understand Pachuila wants to come back, and he will probably take the veterans minimum to do so. And if he doesn't, and if GSW wins it all, I'm sure another burly 5 will do so that wants a ring. Swaggy P wasn't worth the MLE, so he won't be back. McGee also needs to take the minimum or walk. And there is the question about Livingston. That guy is still more valuable to GSW than Cook, particularly because he's a better defensive player that can guard multiple positions. But yes, his salary is out there.

What does all of this mean to Cook? It's really been a break out performance for him this past month or so. Can he do it in the playoffs and/or next year? And if so, will GSW be able to pay him for the '19-'20 season? If he can become what Nick Young should have been, then likely yes. But a lot depends on whether GSW gets the playoff game revenues and how much they can stomach the luxury or repeater taxes. In the end, it's all about the Benjamins.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Yes, he is....but isn't that a very Quinn thing to do? The man is team first, ahead of self....one of the reasons we love him!

UrinalCake
04-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Just heard on the Colin Cowherd show that Curry is "nowhere close" to returning. Looks like we'll get to see a heavy dose of Quinn!

moonpie23
04-13-2018, 12:36 PM
look, i don't wish any ill on curry.....in fact, i wish GOOD will on him and hope that he takes ALL the time he needs to COMPLETELY heal up until he's 100%.......this will give quinn a great stage to shine on...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Just heard on the Colin Cowherd show that Curry is "nowhere close" to returning. Looks like we'll get to see a heavy dose of Quinn!

If it proves CC wrong, I am rooting for Curry to play this weekend.

Lord he drives me crazy.

UrinalCake
04-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Before you make any curry, you need to have a cook.

(I'll just let myself out...)

kako
04-13-2018, 04:00 PM

What we need to see is GSW winning the series over the Spurs. It may not reflect badly on Cook if GSW falters, it will reflect positively on Cook if GSW wins the series with him as the starting PG. He doesn't need to hunt his shot and score. He should rightly defer to Durant and Thompson for that, but if he can shoot well from the field, have a good +/- and A/TO ratio, people will take notice.

When Curry comes back, I'm not exactly sure of Cook's role. He hasn't played on the 2nd team much. It may be to spell Curry on the first team as his stamina builds back up. Kerr is smart and will use him wisely.

Yes, CC is another blowhard.

9F

elvis14
04-13-2018, 05:48 PM
look, i don't wish any ill on curry...in fact, i wish GOOD will on him and hope that he takes ALL the time he needs to COMPLETELY heal up until he's 100%...this will give quinn a great stage to shine on...

Like I said we all just have to hope the GSW can ride Quinn to a bunch of wins until Curry comes back and leads them to #3 :p

camion
04-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Question:

Will Quinn be a rookie next year, for ROY purposes?

Troublemaker
04-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Question:

Will Quinn be a rookie next year, for ROY purposes?

No, Quinn will be a non-rookie (https://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/16/9558069/julius-randle-los-angeles-lakers-nba-rookie-of-the-year-ineligible). And contractually, he'll be a second-year player, according to posts upthread.

DukieInBrasil
04-14-2018, 07:58 PM
What we need to see is GSW winning the series over the Spurs. It may not reflect badly on Cook if GSW falters, it will reflect positively on Cook if GSW wins the series with him as the starting PG. He doesn't need to hunt his shot and score. He should rightly defer to Durant and Thompson for that, but if he can shoot well from the field, have a good +/- and A/TO ratio, people will take notice.

When Curry comes back, I'm not exactly sure of Cook's role. He hasn't played on the 2nd team much. It may be to spell Curry on the first team as his stamina builds back up. Kerr is smart and will use him wisely.

Yes, CC is another blowhard.

9F

well, the Dubs got the first win tonight, but Quinn didn't start and he didn't play particularly well.
Gotta say Kerr is a coaching genius, to get that sort of offensive efficiency out of a lineup without a PG. Using Draymond as a Point Forward, as well as Durant as a secondary Point Forward. It also helps that Thompson was absolutely on fire, El Fuegon, en fueguissimo!!!

SupaDave
04-16-2018, 12:36 PM
well, the Dubs got the first win tonight, but Quinn didn't start and he didn't play particularly well.
Gotta say Kerr is a coaching genius, to get that sort of offensive efficiency out of a lineup without a PG. Using Draymond as a Point Forward, as well as Durant as a secondary Point Forward. It also helps that Thompson was absolutely on fire, El Fuegon, en fueguissimo!!!

I like Kerr but come on - let's not get ahead of ourselves. Their line-up is littered with former and current All-stars. Amazing that folks forget this about West and Iggy.

DukieInBrasil
04-16-2018, 03:42 PM
I like Kerr but come on - let's not get ahead of ourselves. Their line-up is littered with former and current All-stars. Amazing that folks forget this about West and Iggy.

true, but you still need the right combination of players, and to design plays that get the most out of their skills. They played and beat a playoff team without using a starting PG, and the PG they did play came off the bench and didn't play that well. I think that says a lot about using the combination of players Kerr has and designing plays to get the most out of them.

SilkyJ
04-16-2018, 06:23 PM
true, but you still need the right combination of players, and to design plays that get the most out of their skills. They played and beat a playoff team without using a starting PG, and the PG they did play came off the bench and didn't play that well. I think that says a lot about using the combination of players Kerr has and designing plays to get the most out of them.

I'd say you haven't really looked at the data associated with this topic.

With Kerr out in 2015/16 with a back, Luke Walton had a higher win % (39-4 or 90.7%) than Kerr (34-5 or 87.2%). And that was without Durant.

Then last year, with Durant, Kerr missed the first 4 rounds of the playoffs before returning for the finals. Mike Brown coached the Warriors to a 12-0 record in that span.

I love Steve Kerr, but I'd say that the Warriors are pretty good regardless of who's coaching them.

kako
04-17-2018, 01:01 AM
I'd say you haven't really looked at the data associated with this topic.

With Kerr out in 2015/16 with a back, Luke Walton had a higher win % (39-4 or 90.7%) than Kerr (34-5 or 87.2%). And that was without Durant.

Then last year, with Durant, Kerr missed the first 4 rounds of the playoffs before returning for the finals. Mike Brown coached the Warriors to a 12-0 record in that span.

I love Steve Kerr, but I'd say that the Warriors are pretty good regardless of who's coaching them.

Kerr and his philosophy sets the culture and tone for GSW. I think any thought that GSW would be fine if Kerr left and that team would roll on is incorrect. People can quote data all they want, but Kerr is a huge intangible, whether he's on the sideline or talking to the coaches before and after games. GSW was a first round playoff team, barely getting to the 2nd round with Mark Jackson as coach. Jackson was fired, Kerr took over and won the NBA championship. That was with basically the same team with stars Curry, Thompson and Green.

Cook isn't showing much tonight against the Spurs. SA's D (absent last game) is playing much better this game. And of course playoff basketball is pretty different than playing the Kings and Suns in meaningless late season games. But his play still is solid as a reserve. He's getting minutes.

As I was about to send this, Cook hits a 3 from the corner!'

9F

Troublemaker
04-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Kerr and his philosophy sets the culture and tone for GSW. I think any thought that GSW would be fine if Kerr left and that team would roll on is incorrect. People can quote data all they want, but Kerr is a huge intangible, whether he's on the sideline or talking to the coaches before and after games. GSW was a first round playoff team, barely getting to the 2nd round with Mark Jackson as coach. Jackson was fired, Kerr took over and won the NBA championship. That was with basically the same team with stars Curry, Thompson and Green.

A lot more changed than just Kerr, though. Two of the reasons Lacob fired Jackson was because Jackson refused to upgrade his assistants, and Jackson didn't have a good relationship with the rest of the organization (https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/6/7344165/mark-jackson-warriors-reasons-joe-lacob). Kerr in contrast allowed Lacob's money to help him assemble a great coaching staff, including defensive guru Ron Adams, who is still around and helps a lot. Of the original staff assembled, Luke Walton and Alvin Gentry have left to become head coaches to give people an idea of how amazing that staff was. Also, GSW's staff works extensively with their top-of-the-line analytics department to implement strategy. Something that Mark Jackson would not have done. It's really an organizational success, not just one person.

I do think Kerr deserves credit and has performed like a top-10 coach -- afterall, GSW hired him so he must be good -- but I also think GSW would be fine if he left. As an organization, GSW is smart enough to hire another very good coach (including possibly just promoting from within) to steer the ship.

kako
04-17-2018, 02:11 PM
A lot more changed than just Kerr, though. Two of the reasons Lacob fired Jackson was because Jackson refused to upgrade his assistants, and Jackson didn't have a good relationship with the rest of the organization (https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/6/7344165/mark-jackson-warriors-reasons-joe-lacob). Kerr in contrast allowed Lacob's money to help him assemble a great coaching staff, including defensive guru Ron Adams, who is still around and helps a lot. Of the original staff assembled, Luke Walton and Alvin Gentry have left to become head coaches to give people an idea of how amazing that staff was. Also, GSW's staff works extensively with their top-of-the-line analytics department to implement strategy. Something that Mark Jackson would not have done. It's really an organizational success, not just one person.

I do think Kerr deserves credit and has performed like a top-10 coach -- afterall, GSW hired him so he must be good -- but I also think GSW would be fine if he left. As an organization, GSW is smart enough to hire another very good coach (including possibly just promoting from within) to steer the ship.

I acknowledge your points and agree with many of them, but I guess we have to agree to disagree on Kerr specifically. I actually never liked Kerr as a player at Arizona, as I disliked the Wildcats in the late 80s/early 90s due to the Duke/AZ games at the time. I've softened on him over the years, particularly because I found him to be a solid announcer. And now I think he's one of the best in the league. Besides the basics, I think he does set the tone and culture working with ownership and the front office. The players seem to respect him greatly, even Green who can be a loose cannon at times. Coaches and players are never truly plug-and-play. Bring in, say, Phil Jackson or Pat Riley or another "great" coach, and despite their coaching chops there's no guarantee that the coach works well in the GSW ecosystem. I think there's such a thing as the right man at the right time. I think Kerr is that guy.

Anyway, this string is about our guy Cook. He was serviceable last night. He didn't hunt his shot so much, but that's not the game plan in the playoffs. His points all came when GSW had pulled away. 18 minutes in a (mostly) non-rout playoff game still says the staff trusts him on the floor, and his +/- of +3 isn't as worse than it seems - he was on the floor at true garbage time with 1 minute left, and the Spurs outscored the Warriors by at least 4. But still compared to the others who played more minutes, it wasn't quite in the same ballpark. His D really is what I think he should work on over the summer. In any case, so far I'd give him a B in his first playoffs.

It is kind of sad for Casspi once again. The guy leads the league in games played without ever getting to play in the playoffs. And he's 5th all time in that ignominious category. Here comes Cook, a 2-way player with a few games under his belt. And bang, he's in the playoffs. If it was Cousins (2nd most active in this category), I wouldn't shed a tear. But Casspi seems like a good guy who got snakebit this season.

ElSid
04-19-2018, 08:29 PM
This is rad:
https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/986997853993259009?s=20

Contains 8+ minute video about Quinn.

DukieInBrasil
04-20-2018, 07:36 AM
Quinn with a solid game off the bench in the Game 3 win last night, 12 pts on 9 shots! In fact, the bench PG combo of Quinn + Livingston scored 30 very efficiently. I'm not sure how necessary it was to keep Quinn on the roster, given how the starting lineup has been reshuffled, but i'm glad he's still playing, and doing well. If Curry remains either out or below 100%, Quinn's value will certainly grow a lot in the 2nd round.

Furniture
04-20-2018, 08:09 PM
This is rad:
https://twitter.com/nbagleague/status/986997853993259009?s=20

Contains 8+ minute video about Quinn.

Very nice. Thanks for posting.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Quinn with a solid game off the bench in the Game 3 win last night, 12 pts on 9 shots! In fact, the bench PG combo of Quinn + Livingston scored 30 very efficiently. I'm not sure how necessary it was to keep Quinn on the roster, given how the starting lineup has been reshuffled, but i'm glad he's still playing, and doing well. If Curry remains either out or below 100%, Quinn's value will certainly grow a lot in the 2nd round.

I wondered that too...the new lineup, using KD in an unusual role, and almost Dukie Livingston on the bench - it does beg the question as to whether Quinn would've been signed had Kerr stumbled upon this idea earlier. But Quinn is deserving, and I'm so happy for him. He'll do well.

And maybe Kerr did have this idea earlier, and wanted Quinn anyway.

Troublemaker
04-21-2018, 08:33 AM

I wondered that too...the new lineup, using KD in an unusual role, and almost Dukie Livingston on the bench - it does beg the question as to whether Quinn would've been signed had Kerr stumbled upon this idea earlier. But Quinn is deserving, and I'm so happy for him. He'll do well.

And maybe Kerr did have this idea earlier, and wanted Quinn anyway.

Even though Quinn is coming off the bench, he's still played 25, 18, and 21 minutes in the three games so far. Any rotation player is important because you can't have someone like Quinn who is playing >40% of the game on average be bad and compromise your team during those minutes. Quinn is an important piece.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Even though Quinn is coming off the bench, he's still played 25, 18, and 21 minutes in the three games so far. Any rotation player is important because you can't have someone like Quinn who is playing >40% of the game on average be bad and compromise your team during those minutes. Quinn is an important piece.

This is true, but he's not as important in this lineup as he was in the other lineup where he was pretty much a plug and play replacement for Steph....

kako
04-24-2018, 05:56 PM
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/04/24/nba-playoffs-quinn-cook-warriors-mavericks-pelicans-stephen-curry

Just posted today in si.com:

A Warriors-Spurs postseason rematch was once highly anticipated. Kevin Durant cooking with Steph Curry sidelined was always expected. Durant feeding a fellow Warrior, curling off a pindown screen, is typically regimented; Quinn Cook serving as that teammate—draining a two-dribble pull-up jumper and extending Golden State’s lead into double digits—was, even very recently, highly improbable.

Cook will play a valuable role as the Warriors look to vanquish San Antonio in Tuesday night’s Game 5. He’s seen 19.8 minutes per outing during the first-round series’ initial four contests, providing imperative floor spacing for Golden State’s reserve units that often feature interior-inclined veterans Shaun Livingston and David West. Cook has earned Steve Kerr’s trust. You warrant quite a bit of faith after seamlessly starting in Curry’s place for 18 games, shooting 44.2% from deep and routinely scoring 20 points. “It was just a wild, wild year,” Cook says.

westwall
04-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Quinn played some nice minutes — 22 in all — on the way to 9 points in the Warriors opening game win over the Pelicans. At one point in the first half Quinn scored 4 straight points to pull the Warriors out of a tie game. It seemed clear that Steve Kerr and his teammates like Quinn and what he does.

UrinalCake
04-29-2018, 10:29 AM
Will be interesting to see how much burn if any Quinn gets after Curry returns, which looks like it will happen in game 2. Quinn has proven himself as a capable backup off the bench but may become unnecessary on this particular roster.

JasonEvans
04-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Will be interesting to see how much burn if any Quinn gets after Curry returns, which looks like it will happen in game 2. Quinn has proven himself as a capable backup off the bench but may become unnecessary on this particular roster.

I think Curry's return will impact Kevon Looney's minutes more than Quinn. Steph's return moves Iggy back to the 2nd unit. Iggy's natural position is SF and Looney has been playing that role on the 2nd team. I think Quinn will remain the 2nd team PG/SG alongside Livingston. Looney is averaging 20 mpg thus far in the playoffs while Quinn has been at 18.2. I won't be all that surprised if Looney goes down to about 8-10 and Quinn stays close to the same.

-Jason "Of note -- before Steph went down Looney was averaging about 11 min/game. After Steph got hurt, it was 22 min/game" Evans

SF Dukie
04-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Quinn played some nice minutes — 22 in all — on the way to 9 points in the Warriors opening game win over the Pelicans. At one point in the first half Quinn scored 4 straight points to pull the Warriors out of a tie game. It seemed clear that Steve Kerr and his teammates like Quinn and what he does.

And he got to play in front of Jay-Z and Beyoncé who had courtside seats.

https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Beyonce-surprises-on-the-sideline-of-Warriors-game-12872778.php

Quinn also had a great interview on Comcast Bay Area Sports after the game, they were full of praise for Quinn.

martydoesntfoul
04-29-2018, 06:54 PM
He actually scored 11 on 4-9 shooting to go with 3 rebounds and 3 assists...

CameronBornAndBred
05-02-2018, 08:07 AM
I think Curry's return will impact Kevon Looney's minutes more than Quinn. Steph's return moves Iggy back to the 2nd unit. Iggy's natural position is SF and Looney has been playing that role on the 2nd team. I think Quinn will remain the 2nd team PG/SG alongside Livingston. Looney is averaging 20 mpg thus far in the playoffs while Quinn has been at 18.2. I won't be all that surprised if Looney goes down to about 8-10 and Quinn stays close to the same.

-Jason "Of note -- before Steph went down Looney was averaging about 11 min/game. After Steph got hurt, it was 22 min/game" Evans

So with Curry back, Quinn got a DNP. Bummer.

UrinalCake
05-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Yeah, it was a nice thought that Quinn would continue to have a role, but it doesn’t look like that will be the case. Granted, Curry came off the bench yesterday and will likely start moving forward, but GSW has been comfortable playing without a traditional point guard which will likely be how their second team operates.

BigWayne
05-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Nice article on Quinn in the local papers out here in GSW land. (http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/sports/20180501/quinn-cook-a-former-santa-cruz-warrior-had-to-learn-to-be-a-great-teammate-with-golden-state)

kako
05-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Yeah, it was a nice thought that Quinn would continue to have a role, but it doesn’t look like that will be the case. Granted, Curry came off the bench yesterday and will likely start moving forward, but GSW has been comfortable playing without a traditional point guard which will likely be how their second team operates.

Yes, but don't be surprised if Kerr swaps out Swaggy P for Cook at some point.

DukieInBrasil
05-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Quinn with 12 points on 5-8 shooting in the Warriors blow-out win over the Pelicans in NOLA today! Quinn was 0-3 from 3 though, so he missed out (ba-duh tching!) on having even more impressive stats. NOLA was one of the teams Quinn played for briefly last year...

duke96
05-06-2018, 11:22 PM
Nice article on Quinn in the local papers out here in GSW land. (http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/sports/20180501/quinn-cook-a-former-santa-cruz-warrior-had-to-learn-to-be-a-great-teammate-with-golden-state)

A lot of great quotes there from Quinn that apply equally to areas well beyond basketball.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Quinn with 12 points on 5-8 shooting in the Warriors blow-out win over the Pelicans in NOLA today! Quinn was 0-3 from 3 though, so he missed out (ba-duh tching!) on having even more impressive stats. NOLA was one of the teams Quinn played for briefly last year...

Good sign for Q that he got more minutes than Livingston, and had meaningful play off minutes on a night that Curry was playing.

tbyers11
05-07-2018, 07:31 AM
Good sign for Q that he got more minutes than Livingston, and had meaningful play off minutes on a night that Curry was playing.

Making Iggy a starter alongside Curry in full Death Lineup mode opened up ball handler minutes in the second unit. It was great the GSW showed trust in Quinn to give them those minutes in the 2nd round in a road game (with Young as the only other option I guess). It was even better that he played really well in those minutes

I wouldn't read much into the fact the he played more minutes than Livingston though. They basically played together with the second unit through the first 3 quarters. Quinn's extra 4 minutes came in pure garbage time when he played and Livingston didn't.

Troublemaker
05-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Making Iggy a starter alongside Curry in full Death Lineup mode opened up ball handler minutes in the second unit. It was great the GSW showed trust in Quinn to give them those minutes in the 2nd round in a road game (with Young as the only other option I guess). It was even better that he played really well in those minutes

I wouldn't read much into the fact the he played more minutes than Livingston though. They basically played together with the second unit through the first 3 quarters. Quinn's extra 4 minutes came in pure garbage time when he played and Livingston didn't.

Yep, and looking ahead, I'd be surprised if Quinn were in the rotation for the Houston series. GSW is not going to allow Harden and Paul to hunt down Quinn in small-small PNR / ball screens. Although, from that perspective, GSW probably shouldn't allow Nick Young on the court either, but he keeps popping up. Will be interesting to see if Kerr will shave down his rotation and rely on the Death Lineup more; that hasn't been his instinct over the years.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Yep, and looking ahead, I'd be surprised if Quinn were in the rotation for the Houston series. GSW is not going to allow Harden and Paul to hunt down Quinn in small-small PNR / ball screens. Although, from that perspective, GSW probably shouldn't allow Nick Young on the court either, but he keeps popping up. Will be interesting to see if Kerr will shave down his rotation and rely on the Death Lineup more; that hasn't been his instinct over the years.

I agree that a Houston match up does not appear to be one where Quinn would get a lot of time.

kako
05-07-2018, 12:14 PM
I agree that a Houston match up does not appear to be one where Quinn would get a lot of time.

I wound't be so fast to state that. Young has been slumping and his +/- is not good. So unless he turns that around in Game 5, it may be inevitable to play Cook to get some bench production. If Kerr wants to spell Curry and Thompson at the same time, Livingston and Cook are the answer. Kerr also trusts Cook to not make bonehead mistakes, which is something Uncle Swaggy is rather adept at... Now "a lot of time" doesn't mean 20+ minutes. That will not happen unless it's an utter blowout or Curry gets hurt again. But I think 10-15 minutes is reasonable to expect in some games, though likely not all. Of course, there is a dependency on what D'Antoni does with his rotation as well. Cook guarding Harden or Paul would be a huge challenge for him. The older wildcard would be if McCaw comes back.

fan345678
05-09-2018, 12:30 AM
What's the Duke historical stat on Quinn's Assist-to-Turnover ratio? I remember it being referred to as "the best," but I don't recall the specific qualifications (under K, as a "PG," etc.). In the advanced stats era, in multiple sports, there is an emphasis on "predicted outcomes." One of the champions of that has been Tom Brady, who is the best quarterback ever at throwing the ball away, both to minimize risk and to protect himself. In soccer, Luka Modric of Real Madrid (Singler's post-grad alma mater!) almost always makes the right pass, but almost never ends up getting an assist or a goal (granted, Barcelona built a dynasty around the tiki-taka style, but Modric is a better example here).

Looking at the Warriors' stats tonight, at this moment, the starters' assist numbers are 7-5-5-7-3. Their turnovers are 4-1-1-2-0. Draymond Green often seems to lead the team in turnovers, but he also seems to have the authority to make riskier decisions after the first 2-3 passes of a possession. If Quinn can move the ball early and require a defender, then he will be valuable.

So, Quinn might have defensive deficiencies, but maybe he fits into the "predicted outcomes" preferences of the team. Also as of now, he is 7-7 from inside the arc in the last two games. He's 0-5 from outside, but they know he's a threat. So, even if he's only making shots close, not turning it over, and making the right passes early in the possession, he might be able to offset those defensive concerns a bit, depending on when Harden and Paul are getting rest.

MCFinARL
05-09-2018, 09:44 AM
What's the Duke historical stat on Quinn's Assist-to-Turnover ratio? I remember it being referred to as "the best," but I don't recall the specific qualifications (under K, as a "PG," etc.). In the advanced stats era, in multiple sports, there is an emphasis on "predicted outcomes." One of the champions of that has been Tom Brady, who is the best quarterback ever at throwing the ball away, both to minimize risk and to protect himself. In soccer, Luka Modric of Real Madrid (Singler's post-grad alma mater!) almost always makes the right pass, but almost never ends up getting an assist or a goal (granted, Barcelona built a dynasty around the tiki-taka style, but Modric is a better example here).

Looking at the Warriors' stats tonight, at this moment, the starters' assist numbers are 7-5-5-7-3. Their turnovers are 4-1-1-2-0. Draymond Green often seems to lead the team in turnovers, but he also seems to have the authority to make riskier decisions after the first 2-3 passes of a possession. If Quinn can move the ball early and require a defender, then he will be valuable.

So, Quinn might have defensive deficiencies, but maybe he fits into the "predicted outcomes" preferences of the team. Also as of now, he is 7-7 from inside the arc in the last two games. He's 0-5 from outside, but they know he's a threat. So, even if he's only making shots close, not turning it over, and making the right passes early in the possession, he might be able to offset those defensive concerns a bit, depending on when Harden and Paul are getting rest.

Quinn is actually the Duke record holder on assist to turnover ratio, according to this year's Duke Media Guide (http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/attachments1/files/4200/626837.pdf?_ga=2.152930489.1088623828.1525644024-469785443.1510964552), with 2.52--509 assists to 202 turnovers. So that has been a strength of his game.

FYI, the top five are Quinn, Wojo, Duhon, Amaker, and Scheyer. Bobby Hurley only makes 6th, though his total assists--1,076--are more than 200 ahead of second-place Duhon.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Quinn is actually the Duke record holder on assist to turnover ratio, according to this year's Duke Media Guide (http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/attachments1/files/4200/626837.pdf?_ga=2.152930489.1088623828.1525644024-469785443.1510964552), with 2.52--509 assists to 202 turnovers. So that has been a strength of his game.

FYI, the top five are Quinn, Wojo, Duhon, Amaker, and Scheyer. Bobby Hurley only makes 6th, though his total assists--1,076--are more than 200 ahead of second-place Duhon.

That makes sense, as Hurley was a high risk / high reward kind of point guard. Coach K gave him that green light even as a freshman, and I bet his ratio is much better if you took out the frosh year.

JasonEvans
05-09-2018, 11:11 AM
That makes sense, as Hurley was a high risk / high reward kind of point guard. Coach K gave him that green light even as a freshman, and I bet his ratio is much better if you took out the frosh year.

Hurley's TO% was 33.5% as a Freshman. It went down each successive season -- 28.1% as a soph, 23.9% as a junior, and 19.1% as a senior.

For comparison sake, Duhon was 22.8% over his career, while Cook was just 12.7% over his career and a ridiculous 8.7% his stellar senior year. John Scheyer was even better, just 10.6% over his career.

-Jason "if not for the eye injury I really think Scheyer would have found his way to the NBA" Evans

brlftz
05-09-2018, 12:55 PM
-Jason "if not for the eye injury I really think Scheyer would have found his way to the NBA" Evans

Absolutely agree. I think he’s this century’s Spanarkel. Guy massively appreciated by those who saw him, under-valued in Duke history by those who didn’t

cato
05-09-2018, 01:25 PM

So, if you look at the top six, you account for all of the Duke MBB National Championships.

Tough break for Tommy and the 1986 team, but we already know they should have been the first team to hang the most important banner.

kako
05-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Cook and the Warriors (a little biased, it should be the Warriors and Cook) advance. As I thought, Young was a DNP while Cook was off the bench in the 1Q. He scored 5 points in that quarter (all his points), and played well early. GSW was cruising by 25 in the fourth, and Kerr rotated Cook back in. But the Pelicans then made a hard run while GSW, Cook included, missed some open shots. They got it down to 7, and that took Cook's +/- into the negatives. Cook did get beat more than once during the run. The B team was subbed out and the Hampton 5 (or perhaps it was 4) finished the game.

Kerr has the 5, plus Looney, West and Livingston as his main rotation so far in the post-season. For the other guard spot, he seems to go with either Young or Cook for meaningful minutes - perhaps depending on his gut feel at game time. Young is taller but his defense isn't much better than Cook's, plus Uncle Swaggy (Game of Zones reference) has much less of a feel for the game than Cook. That being said, I would be surprised to see Cook out against the Rockets much when both Paul and Harden are on the floor. If one subs out, then perhaps Cook could be there on the Houston reserve guard. But unless McCaw makes a return, I think Cook or Young will have to get some meaningful minutes. I think GSW should plan on a 7 game series, so the starters should not be going 45 minutes a game from the get go.

9F

HereBeforeCoachK
05-09-2018, 03:50 PM
Hurley's TO% was 33.5% as a Freshman. It went down each successive season -- 28.1% as a soph, 23.9% as a junior, and 19.1% as a senior.

For comparison sake, Duhon was 22.8% over his career, while Cook was just 12.7% over his career and a ridiculous 8.7% his stellar senior year. John Scheyer was even better, just 10.6% over his career.

Thanks for those stats....interesting....I would add, FTR, that I don't think of Cook, Duhon or Sheyer as pure point guards, not in the way Hurley was. I loved cheering for all of them....and I think Quinn is my all time fave.

CameronBornAndBred
05-11-2018, 01:53 PM
I don't follow the NBA, and don't get tied up in our past OADs, but I like to see our 4 year guys doing well. Quinn is obviously one of them.
This share is more about the photo than the story...what a great shot!

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23453684/nba-secret-warriors-dominance

Love seeing him in that pic knowing he earned his place on the team. I so hope he gets a ring.

DukieInBrasil
05-11-2018, 02:03 PM
I don't follow the NBA, and don't get tied up in our past OADs, but I like to see our 4 year guys doing well. Quinn is obviously one of them.
This share is more about the photo than the story...what a great shot!

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23453684/nba-secret-warriors-dominance

Love seeing him in that pic knowing he earned his place on the team. I so hope he gets a ring.

if he does, he would be one of the few to get both NCAA ring and an NBA ring. (OK, not quite so few). Well, at least only the 2nd Duke player to do so! Shane Battier did it first for Duke!
http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/03/a-history-of-players-who-won-both-ncaa-and-nba-championships/chalmers

arnie
05-11-2018, 02:25 PM
if he does, he would be one of the few to get both NCAA ring and an NBA ring. (OK, not quite so few). Well, at least only the 2nd Duke player to do so! Shane Battier did it first for Duke!
http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/03/a-history-of-players-who-won-both-ncaa-and-nba-championships/chalmers

Interesting list. But left off Battier’s 2013 Heat championship.

ice-9
05-12-2018, 02:39 AM
Thanks for those stats...interesting...I would add, FTR, that I don't think of Cook, Duhon or Sheyer as pure point guards, not in the way Hurley was. I loved cheering for all of them...and I think Quinn is my all time fave.

Duhon is as pure of a PG as it gets imo, and one better than his stats would indicate.

MarkD83
05-12-2018, 04:28 AM
I love the comments section. Someone added Danny green and the response was "didn't the tar heels forfeit the 2009 championship?"

arnie
05-12-2018, 07:42 AM
I love the comments section. Someone added Danny green and the response was "didn't the tar heels forfeit the 2009 championship?"

I wonder who would have made that comment😏😏😏

DukieInBrasil
05-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Quinnsanity continues: despite not playing in Game 1, Quinn scored 7 pts on 2/3 shooting and had a +6 in the +/- category (many of GSW's subs were +).

kako
05-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Quinnsanity continues: despite not playing in Game 1, Quinn scored 7 pts on 2/3 shooting and had a +6 in the +/- category (many of GSW's subs were +).

In all fairness, all of Cook's 5 minutes on the floor was in total garbage time. The game was long since decided when he first stepped on the floor. It's great that he played in a conference final game and scored, but other than that I don't think one can say much more. The Rockets' plan was clearly to target Curry on iso plays all night long, and it worked well. If Cook had been out there instead of Curry, I daresay the Rockets would have won by a lot more. So far it's clear the reason Cook isn't getting meaningful minutes are his deficiencies on D.

UrinalCake
05-17-2018, 02:03 PM
Looked to me like Swaggy P was taking Cook’s minutes.

kako
05-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Looked to me like Swaggy P was taking Cook’s minutes.

Yeah. You could argue who's D is better (or worse), but Young is at least taller. And he hit his 3's in Game 1. But unless there is a major game plan shift for GSW, I would be surprised to see Cook in anything but garbage time the rest of this particular series.

moonpie23
05-17-2018, 10:17 PM
there's no telling what's gonna be available for cook.......i'm seeing more and more chatter from everyone about curry's percent to go......if curry gets dinged again, it's all up in the air....(or even finding out that he never healed up)

the rockets are gonna go str8 at curry...hard....

richardjackson199
05-20-2018, 10:18 PM
11 points from Quinn in garbage time of Warriors 41 point blowout win. 4-4 FG including 2-2 threes. And nice defensive effort from him in garbage time.

Duke79UNLV77
05-20-2018, 10:20 PM
11 points from Quinn in garbage time of Warriors 41 point blowout win. 4-4 FG including 2-2 threes. And nice defensive effort from him in garbage time.

Curry 35 points in 34 minutes. Cook 11 in 4. Bench Seth!

subzero02
05-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Curry 35 points in 34 minutes. Cook 11 in 4. Bench Seth!

I think you mean bench Steph...

Furniture
05-20-2018, 11:43 PM

Even though it was garbage time who cares. Well done young man!! Impressive!!

richardjackson199
05-21-2018, 12:08 AM
Even though it was garbage time who cares. Well done young man!! Impressive!!

Oh yeah I agree. It matters bigtime for Quinn, was noticed, and could help him get another chance at some important game minutes in this series. It shows he's staying ready when called upon.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-21-2018, 06:14 AM
Oh yeah I agree. It matters bigtime for Quinn, was noticed, and could help him get another chance at some important game minutes in this series. It shows he's staying ready when called upon.

Yep, and the confidence of seeing the ball go in - against Houston - in the Conference Finals. If he's needed at a more critical time in these play offs, this will help.

dukelifer
05-21-2018, 07:05 AM
Yep, and the confidence of seeing the ball go in - against Houston - in the Conference Finals. If he's needed at a more critical time in these play offs, this will help.

Let’s hope there is a critical moment- this round of the playoffs has been pretty weak so far. The next round may be worse.

gofurman
05-21-2018, 08:27 AM
Let’s hope there is a critical moment- this round of the playoffs has been pretty weak so far. The next round may be worse.

yeah, I am not sure this will be a very interesting NBA finals - Cavs or Celts, I think the Warriors are far better than both... if the Celts had Kyrie and Gordon Haywrd difft story - man, wish those guys were playing. WOuld be fun to see

phaedrus
05-21-2018, 10:22 AM
But unless there is a major game plan shift for GSW, I would be surprised to see Cook in anything but garbage time the rest of this particular series.

As it turns out, being relegated to garbage time for the Warriors is nothing to sneeze at, even in the conference finals.

kako
05-21-2018, 12:51 PM
yeah, I am not sure this will be a very interesting NBA finals - Cavs or Celts, I think the Warriors are far better than both... if the Celts had Kyrie and Gordon Haywrd difft story - man, wish those guys were playing. WOuld be fun to see

Over the past few years I'm always assuming LeBron James will be in the final, and he alone can win any series... even against GSW. So I think it would still make a good series - Warriors/Cavs IV.

And keeping in mind it was a garbage time performance, Cook was stellar. Others like McGee and Young were taking typical wild garbage time shots (even though McGee's shots went in). Cook's shots were constantly in the "flow" (use the term loosely since it was garbage time). Barring an injury or other shakeup, he likely won't be used in this series - Young is performing adequately. I can't see Kerr feeling a great need to make a change there. But assuming GSW wins the series, we should see Cook more in the finals.

MCFinARL
05-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Over the past few years I'm always assuming LeBron James will be in the final, and he alone can win any series... even against GSW. So I think it would still make a good series - Warriors/Cavs IV.

And keeping in mind it was a garbage time performance, Cook was stellar. Others like McGee and Young were taking typical wild garbage time shots (even though McGee's shots went in). Cook's shots were constantly in the "flow" (use the term loosely since it was garbage time). Barring an injury or other shakeup, he likely won't be used in this series - Young is performing adequately. I can't see Kerr feeling a great need to make a change there. But assuming GSW wins the series, we should see Cook more in the finals.

Someone asked Kerr about Cook's performance and he matter of factly said. "Quinn? Yes he is a professional, he is always ready to come in and play well and do what you need him to do." It wasn't an answer that suggested Quinn is likely to see more playing time any time soon but it was one that showed he is appreciated for what he does. At the least, Quinn is banking some credits for the future.

Exnicios
05-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Someone asked Kerr about Cook's performance and he matter of factly said. "Quinn? Yes he is a professional, he is always ready to come in and play well and do what you need him to do." It wasn't an answer that suggested Quinn is likely to see more playing time any time soon but it was one that showed he is appreciated for what he does. At the least, Quinn is banking some credits for the future.

This article (https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/21/quinn-cook-learned-the-hard-way-not-to-take-a-single-minute-for-granted-in-the-nba/) adds little more depth to Kerr's comments on Quinn, and has an interesting anecdote from Quinn's time in 2015 on the Cleveland Summer League team. From the article:

Warriors’ coach Steve Kerr explained to [Quinn] that the team was going to give Nick Young more minutes in the series because he played well against the Rockets in the regular season..."[Quinn] could still play a role in this series and beyond if we get further."

kako
05-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Due to SF Andre Igoudala being out due to injury, SG Klay Thompson being temporarily out due to injury (he came back in later) and PG Steph Curry getting into early foul trouble, Cook did get a couple of meaningful minutes (literally 2) in GSW's loss last night against the Rockets. Instead of putting in the backup PG Shaun Livingston, the Warriors put in Cook. They were unremarkable - nothing impressive nor unimpressive. He did intentionally foul to put a Rocket poor shooter on the line (who went 1 for 2). After his 2 minutes in 2Q, he did not return. He finished with no stats save for the foul, and a -2 rating. But hey, they were non-garbage time minutes.

Injuries change things, and if the Igoudala injury lingers, there is always a chance Cook might get time. Nick Young, after having several good showings, did not have a good game... though same can be said about all GSW last night. But it looks like the coaching staff clearly does not trust Cook with much at this point and, barring something surprising, likely would choose not to use him. I don't think it's his fault, per se. Just his size and defensive inexperience.

9F

ChillinDuke
05-24-2018, 11:45 PM
That was a big miss by our Quinn there in the final minute of the game. Wide open.

A lot to ask of a guy like that to hit a shot like that in that spot on the road. But nonetheless, a missed opportunity to make a household name for himself in the Bay Area.

Wouldn't have sealed the game or anything, but man was I on my toes praying for that shot.

Love Quinn.

- Chillin

moonpie23
05-24-2018, 11:48 PM
KD, lebron, kyrie, curry, westbrook, harden, paul......they've ALL missed "big shots".........Quinn is legit....he'll bounce back...

kAzE
05-24-2018, 11:51 PM
I feel so bad for Quinn. That would easily have been the biggest shot of his life.

Thank goodness they are still alive. He still has a chance to redeem himself.

ChillinDuke
05-25-2018, 12:10 AM
KD, lebron, kyrie, curry, westbrook, harden, paul...they've ALL missed "big shots".....Quinn is legit...he'll bounce back...

Your point is well taken.

But you can't put Quinn, as much as we love him, in the same sentence as those 7 players. Arguably the top 7 or so players of our current time.

If Quinn made that shot he becomes a household name, as fleeting as it may be, across the country.

He almost surely will bounce back. But don't downplay what a missed opportunity that was at nationwide recognition.

- Chillin

JasonEvans
05-25-2018, 01:10 AM
It wasn't just that he missed, he fumbled the ball and looked like he wasn't quite ready for the moment. He also missed end of quarter, wide-open threes at the end of the first and third quarters. He was 0-for-3 on big shots... but he has hit them before in a big way and I am betting he bounces back quite nicely. I hope Kerr gives him more chances like this.

Oh, and the happenstance of plus/minus worked out well for him this game. Despite only playing 8 minutes in this game, QC led the Warriors in plus/minus with a +5.

-Jason "there's a crazy plus minus stat from this game... but it belongs in the Playoff thread" Evans

dudog84
05-25-2018, 01:22 AM
I feel so bad for Quinn. That would easily have been the biggest shot of his life.

Thank goodness they are still alive. He still has a chance to redeem himself.

Quinn made many, MANY more important shots in 2015. But then I may be biased.

kAzE
05-25-2018, 01:54 AM
Quinn made many, MANY more important shots in 2015. But then I may be biased.

Sorry, but the semi finals of the NBA championship is a WAY bigger stage than the Final Four. Not even close.

It's the difference between playing against the best players in college vs. playing against literally the best players in the world.

oakvillebluedevil
05-25-2018, 06:34 AM
It wasn't just that he missed, he fumbled the ball and looked like he wasn't quite ready for the moment. He also missed end of quarter, wide-open threes at the end of the first and third quarters. He was 0-for-3 on big shots... but he has hit them before in a big way and I am betting he bounces back quite nicely. I hope Kerr gives him more chances like this.

Oh, and the happenstance of plus/minus worked out well for him this game. Despite only playing 8 minutes in this game, QC led the Warriors in plus/minus with a +5.

-Jason "there's a crazy plus minus stat from this game... but it belongs in the Playoff thread" Evans

Also betting Quinn bounces back nicely.

While he missed both this shot and earlier shots, I don't think he looked like he wasn't ready for the moment. Sure he bobbled the ball on the catch, but he then calmly took a dribble to get himself back in rhythm, set, fired the shot, then immediately broke into the Sammy Sosa-esque hop / home run trot while watching the shot. He never even looked for another option to take the shot. Looked like the same confident Quinn we all know and love. (video: https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/999863103402766336)

Of course this is parsing a super small sample and making large conclusions, but any arguments to the contrary are definitionally doing the same thing :cool:

dukelifer
05-25-2018, 06:55 AM
That was a big miss by our Quinn there in the final minute of the game. Wide open.

A lot to ask of a guy like that to hit a shot like that in that spot on the road. But nonetheless, a missed opportunity to make a household name for himself in the Bay Area.

Wouldn't have sealed the game or anything, but man was I on my toes praying for that shot.

Love Quinn.

- Chillin

I saw the likely MVP miss his wide open 3 and the two time MVP miss his floater all after Quinn. Cook was in good company. Quinn defended Paul on the play where Paul was injured which may prove to be the biggest moment of the series.

elvis14
05-25-2018, 07:16 AM
Quinn's failure was huge because not only did he miss that 3, he shouldn't have taken it. First he didn't catch the ball cleanly then he jacked up a 3 when the GSW were playing 5 on 4 with ODB CP3 hobbled on the other end of the court. Such a big moment for Quinn. You can say all you want about established superstars missing shots but they are 'established' for a reason. Quinn had a few chances last night to give people reason to think of him as more established and I hate that he missed all of them. Hopefully he redeem himself in the next two wins by GSW.

dukelifer
05-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Quinn's failure was huge because not only did he miss that 3, he shouldn't have taken it. First he didn't catch the ball cleanly then he jacked up a 3 when the GSW were playing 5 on 4 with ODB CP3 hobbled on the other end of the court. Such a big moment for Quinn. You can say all you want about established superstars missing shots but they are 'established' for a reason. Quinn had a few chances last night to give people reason to think of him as more established and I hate that he missed all of them. Hopefully he redeem himself in the next two wins by GSW.

Very few players could come into a game 5 cold and hit a 3 on demand under that pressure. Sure he could have hit it and that would have been great but it is not like he missed a layup. I think Quinn is like many players - he needs to play more to get into a game mentally. Kerr wants him to be a designated shooter- he is not there yet.

sagegrouse
05-25-2018, 08:17 AM
Sorry, but the semi finals of the NBA championship is a WAY bigger stage than the Final Four. Not even close.

It's the difference between playing against the best players in college vs. playing against literally the best players in the world.

[Gasp!!!!] Then, how about this?

The 2015 Duke-Wisconsin national championship ranks as the highest rated college basketball game since 1999 and the most-watched since 1997, with a 16.0 and 28.3 million viewers. The all-time record highs are a 24.1 rating and 35.1 million for Michigan State-Indiana State on NBC in 1979.

And this:

The highest rated and most watched NBA Final series was 1998 NBA Finals between the Chicago Bulls and Utah Jazz,; the series averaged an 18.7 rating / 33 share and 29.04 million viewers on NBC. The lowest rated and least watched NBA Final series was 2007 NBA Finals between the San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers; the series averaged a 6.2 rating / 11 share and 9.29 million viewers on ABC.

Moreover -- sniff, sniff -- nobody fills out a bracket for the NBA playoffs.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-25-2018, 08:23 AM

I disagree. You are conflating level of competition with the size of the stage. Those two are not necessarily the same thing (though they are at times). The NBA has nothing that competes with the national obsession with March Madness - I don't know of a single NBA moment any bigger than Laettner's shot to end the Kentucky game....vis a vis dominating the national conversation for days.....and it's hard to point to anything other than a game 7 that equals a single elimination situation.

It's a huge stage...last night...but as another poster has demonstrated with audience size...you are simply not correct when you say "not even close" and "WAY bigger."

UrinalCake
05-25-2018, 08:25 AM
I think it's a good sign that Quinn was given more minutes and at meaningful times in this game as compared to the rest of the series. My guess is that Kerr felt like his team ran out of gas at the end of game 4 and he wanted to steal more rest for his starters throughout the game by giving some minutes to the bench. Quinn's minutes came at the expensive of Nick Young, who has made some shots but otherwise not done much.

I will also say that Quinn played good defense while he was in. He was targeted a few times by Paul and Harden and held his own.

dudog84
05-25-2018, 08:34 AM

Missing my point (although a few others have made great ones).

Nothing Quinn ever does in the NBA will be as important as what he did for my Blue Devils. The 3 freshmen got more ink, but no way Duke wins a national championship in 2015 without Quinn's senior leadership.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-25-2018, 09:02 AM
I was watching some of the video of the last few minutes...and people are talking about the Chris Paul injury, but not analyzing what caused it. Quinn had him locked down on that drive...no fouls, just great defense...and Paul, seeming frustrated and trying to draw a foul, lifted his leg into Quinn to generate contact, and as a result he fell in an odd way and got hurt.

Who knows what will happen, but Chris Paul's health could be the deciding factor in this thing ultimately....and Quinn, playing perfectly clean solid defense in a huge moment...played a big role in that.

(unlike the Seton Hall injury to Robert Brickey, which was total hack job).

kAzE
05-25-2018, 09:03 AM
[Gasp!!!!] Then, how about this?

And this:

Moreover -- sniff, sniff -- nobody fills out a bracket for the NBA playoffs.

Missing my point (although a few others have made great ones).

Nothing Quinn ever does in the NBA will be as important as what he did for my Blue Devils. The 3 freshmen got more ink, but no way Duke wins a national championship in 2015 without Quinn's senior leadership.

Yeah, except Quinn was 3 for 8, 0 for 3 from 3 and had 6 points in the Wisconsin game . . .

Apparently he has stage fright in the biggest games. I love the dude as much as anyone here, but the facts are the facts.

Also, your NBA numbers are totally wrong. Nice cherry picking. Those are the numbers for those specific domestic networks (NBC and ABC). You're conveniently leaving out the worldwide viewers on hundreds of other television channels around the world. The NBA is is a global sport. The NCAA tournament is a mostly American obsession.

Here's an article about the 2017 finals (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19652006/2017-nba-finals-showcased-league-international-reach):
In China, for example, it was the most-viewed Finals series ever on the country's digital platforms. Overall, Tencent's live game coverage received 190.9 million total views and averaged 12.2 million unique viewers per game, up 30 percent from 2016.

Of course, the star power on display in Warriors-Cavs was a huge factor in attracting an audience that spanned 215 countries and territories in 49 languages.

And that's just in China alone. So yes. Not even close.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-25-2018, 09:09 AM
I was watching some of the video of the last few minutes...and people are talking about the Chris Paul injury, but not analyzing what caused it. Quinn had him locked down on that drive...no fouls, just great defense...and Paul, seeming frustrated and trying to draw a foul, lifted his leg into Quinn to generate contact, and as a result he fell in an odd way and got hurt.

Who knows what will happen, but Chris Paul's health could be the deciding factor in this thing ultimately...and Quinn, playing perfectly clean solid defense in a huge moment...played a big role in that.

(unlike the Seton Hall injury to Robert Brickey, which was total hack job).

I will have to pass on taking any pride in a play that produces an injury.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Yeah, except Quinn was 3 for 8, 0 for 3 from 3 and had 6 points in the Wisconsin game . . .

Apparently he has stage fright in big games. I love the dude as much as anyone here, but the facts are the facts.

Two examples does not create a fact pattern. Quinn scored 17 against Michigan State in the 2015 semifinal, and 20 and 22 in the two Carolina games his senior year. And I'm sure there are plenty of other examples I am missing.

kAzE
05-25-2018, 09:35 AM
Two examples does not create a fact pattern. Quinn scored 17 against Michigan State in the 2015 semifinal, and 20 and 22 in the two Carolina games his senior year. And I'm sure there are plenty of other examples I am missing.

I agree, but you can't have it both ways. Sagegrouse used the Wisconsin game specifically to support his NCAA tournament viewership argument (which, if you go back and look at my edited post, is totally wrong).

sagegrouse
05-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Apparently he has stage fright in the biggest games. I love the dude as much as anyone here, but the facts are the facts.

Let's see. Two games. A few shots. Not exactly a charitable opinion towards an esteemed Blue Devil on a Duke fan site. What were you thinking?

ChillinDuke
05-25-2018, 09:46 AM
I agree, but you can't have it both ways. Sagegrouse used the Wisconsin game specifically to support his NCAA tournament viewership argument (which, if you go back and look at my edited post, is totally wrong).

What are the two ways that we can't have it?

It seems to me that there are very reasonable arguments to be made that (1) Quinn has nothing objectively close to resembling stage fright and (2) the NCAAT is at least as big, if not a bigger, "stage" than the NBA Conference Championships. I'm not entirely sure that the level of play is the most important determinant of how big a "stage" something is.

- Chillin

kAzE
05-25-2018, 10:06 AM
What are the two ways that we can't have it?

It seems to me that there are very reasonable arguments to be made that (1) Quinn has nothing objectively close to resembling stage fright and (2) the NCAAT is at least as big, if not a bigger, "stage" than the NBA Conference Championships. I'm not entirely sure that the level of play is the most important determinant of how big a "stage" something is.

- Chillin

Let's see. Two games. A few shots. Not exactly a charitable opinion towards an esteemed Blue Devil on a Duke fan site. What were you thinking?

You guys all need to go back and carefully read my post. I said he apparently seems to have stage fight in the BIGGEST games, which is true. It certainly seems that way. Game 5 in a tied series in the Western Finals that is essentially the Finals is the biggest game he's ever played in. The National championship vs. Wisconsin is the 2nd biggest game he's ever played. He's stunk in the 2 biggest games of his life. That's indisputable.

Second, the NCAAT is NOT close to as big a stage as the NBA playoffs. Period. Stop trying to say it is. It's just not. The worldwide viewership of any 1 NBA playoff game dwarfs the viewership of even the biggest Final Four games, so just stop it. You just sound ignorant. Don't quote Nielsen numbers. Those are U.S. numbers only.

I'm not a Quinn hater, so stop trying to paint me as one. All I said is that shot would have been the biggest of his life, and it easily would have been that. I was rooting extremely hard for it to go in. But it didn't. I'm done with this dumb argument that I won't win on a Duke forum. You guys can be homers, but I'm fine with looking at things objectively. I have to kowtow to all Duke players just because I'm on a Duke site? Come on, get out of here with that. I can love a player and still criticize them when it's justified. I'm not gonna submit to this type of group think.

sagegrouse
05-25-2018, 10:15 AM
You guys all need to go back and carefully read my post. I said he has stage f[r]ight in the BIGGEST games, which is true. Second, the NCAAT is NOT close to as big a stage as the NBA playoffs. Period. Stop trying to say it is. It's just not.

Let's see. "Stage fright." You're sure? I would say that the Wisconsin game is an extraordinarily poor example. That game belonged to Tyus and Grayson. But Quinn played a key role throughout the season and in the tournament in getting us there.

Last night. "Stage fright?" Gimme a break. Quinn played very well, and missing some shots does not justify your armchair diagnosis.

And, on the subject of the popularity of the NCAA tournament against the NBA (I like both), you don't mind if I give a lot of weight to the American audience numbers, do you?

dudog84
05-25-2018, 10:30 AM
You guys all need to go back and carefully read my post. I said he apparently seems to have stage fight in the BIGGEST games, which is true. It certainly seems that way. Game 5 in a tied series in the Western Finals that is essentially the Finals is the biggest game he's ever played in. The National championship vs. Wisconsin is the 2nd biggest game he's ever played. He's stunk in the 2 biggest games of his life. That's indisputable.

Second, the NCAAT is NOT close to as big a stage as the NBA playoffs. Period. Stop trying to say it is. It's just not. The worldwide viewership of any 1 NBA playoff game dwarfs the viewership of even the biggest Final Four games, so just stop it. You just sound ignorant. Don't quote Nielsen numbers. Those are U.S. numbers only.

I'm not a Quinn hater, so stop trying to paint me as one. All I said is that shot would have been the biggest of his life, and it easily would have been that. I was rooting extremely hard for it to go in. But it didn't. I'm done with this dumb argument that I won't win on a Duke forum. You guys can be homers, but I'm fine with looking at things objectively. I have to kowtow to all Duke players just because I'm on a Duke site? Come on, get out of here with that. I can love a player and still criticize them when it's justified. I'm not gonna submit to this type of group think.

First, there is a lot more to a basketball game than scoring points. Yes, it is extremely important, but it is not the only thing.

Second, Quinn is in his 3rd NBA season, and if you add all those seasons up it's barely half a full season. How many "great" players missed plenty of shots before they even got this far?

Third, you are way out of bounds.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 10:50 AM
I think attributing missing an open shot to stage fright is a pretty big leap.

YMMV.

moonpie23
05-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Your point is well taken.

But you can't put Quinn, as much as we love him, in the same sentence as those 7 players. Arguably the top 7 or so players of our current time.

If Quinn made that shot he becomes a household name, as fleeting as it may be, across the country.

He almost surely will bounce back. But don't downplay what a missed opportunity that was at nationwide recognition.

- Chillin

i agree, it was a big shot, but there are MANY more big shots for him. maybe in game 6, maybe in game 7.......

kAzE
05-25-2018, 11:07 AM
I think attributing missing an open shot to stage fright is a pretty big leap.

YMMV.

I would agree, if not for the fumbled pass and the hesitation before the missed shot. He's been a knockdown shooter for the past 3 months, and he never had problems catching passes. He was excellent in garbage time in game 3. But in game 5, it looked like he was nervous. That's what stage fright is. I hate it, but the moment was too big for him.

His 3 point shooting in the regular season was 44.2%, but it's been 23.3% in the playoffs.

I hope he plays much better if he gets meaningful minutes in game 6 or 7.