PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #113 - RI goes down... and so do UNC and UVA

JasonEvans
03-19-2018, 12:02 AM
https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-113-rhode-island-victory-and-uncuva-go-down-in-flames

0:00 Byrd Campbell says GTHC!
0:35 We are feeling just a little giddy
3:10 Duke clobbers Rhode Island and Donald talks about Marvin Bagley being inhumanly good
8:20 Jason points out why his obsession with FGAs did not matter in this game and then the conversation morphs into all three of us praising Trevon Duval
13:35 Donald talks about some of the impressive statistical milestones coming up for Duke
15:00 We preview Sweet 16 Syracuse - Sam recaps what happened the last time these two teams met
20:20 Jason gives us some of the truly horrible stats about Syracuse’s offense
23:40 Jason asks Donald to explain how Syracuse could win this game… he talks about making things ugly
26:15 Time to talk about UNC and Virginia getting hammered… Donald insists we begin with the biggest upset in college hoops history.
28:15 Donald says this was like a perfect game in baseball… you see it happening but you don’t want to say anything for fear you will jinx the incredible feat
33:40 Sam admits he is just happy that Duke was not the #1 seed who lost to a #16
34:25 Jason tells us about the biggest UMBC gambler in Las Vegas
38:00 Donald gets us to the Twitter reaction to the UMBC win
41:25 Jason wants to know if this game makes us doubt the genius of Virginia coach Tony Bennett, but Sam and Donald do not take the bait
46:30 A message about “the journey” from Byrd Campbell
48:20 Down goes Carolina! Sam loves how ineffective Luke Maye looked against A&M’s athletic bigs
53:00 Jason talks about the abject failure of the Pac-12
55:50 Sam loves Sister Jean of Loyola-Chicago
56:50 Jason crows about picking Nevada to the Sw16
58:05 Player of the game, two Bags and a Tre
59:45 Parting shots – Donald on the success of the Duke women’s basketball team
1:00:45 Parting shots – Sam loves wifi
1:02:00 Parting shots – Jason likes the Capital One commercials
1:05:05 Goodbye and Duke band

subzero02
03-19-2018, 01:59 AM
I've been waiting for this...

Dev11
03-19-2018, 11:09 AM
My apologies again for my audio trouble. No idea what happened to my home internet last night.

JasonEvans
03-19-2018, 11:15 AM
My apologies again for my audio trouble. No idea what happened to my home internet last night.

Your audio failed at the same moment UMBC lost to K State... coincidence? I think not.

Highlander
03-19-2018, 12:08 PM
During the Iona game, at one point I looked at the 1H box score and remarked "Iona is shooting 71% from the floor and is still down 5."

Haven't listened yet, but I hope you guys give a shout out to some of the awesome Duke parody commercials on TruTV this year. There's one with Laettner and the 2.1 second workout video, another PSA with Austin Rivers and Jay Williams asking people to "Stop the Duke Hate," and a third with Greg Oden working at a bank that is hilarious. This link was in another thread, so hopefully you saw them.

https://www.facebook.com/truTV/video...6143539439757/

kAzE
03-19-2018, 01:40 PM
So I decided to give the Ringer's "One Shining Podcast" a listen today, and the dichotomy between their pod and this pod is hilarious.

For those who don't know, One Shining Podcast is hosted by Mark Titus (Former Ohio St. walk-on player), and Tate Frazier (UNC fan/alum).

The DBR pod was all smiles and talking about how it's been a fantastic tournament thus far, while the Ringer guys complain non-stop about how this tournament is ruining college basketball, and how bad the officiating and quality of games have been.

Sour grapes, much? :)

devildeac
03-19-2018, 01:43 PM
So I decided to give the Ringer's "One Shining Podcast" a listen today, and the dichotomy between their pod and this pod is hilarious.

For those who don't know, One Shining Podcast is hosted by Mark Titus (Former Ohio St. walk-on player), and Tate Frazier (UNC fan).

The DBR pod was all smiles and talking about how it's been a fantastic tournament thus far, while the Ringer guys complain non-stop about how this tournament is ruining college basketball, and how bad the officiating and quality of games have been.

Also odd that no one mentioned the feckless and corrupt COI in 2016 and 2017. :mad:

subzero02
03-19-2018, 01:57 PM
The Rafferty quote had me laughing because I have said something similar for a while.

Also, Grayson had a "GREAT" game IMO against RI because of his personal effort in the zone as well as his communication to help position the freshmen.

clutch299
03-19-2018, 02:35 PM
I have a prediction that I don't quite know where to post, so it seemed like this was as good a place as any. So, here it goes.

I don't believe it will happen against Syracuse, partly because I don't believe it will be necessary, but I have a theory that Coach K is going to go back to man at some point in the tournament.

I think he likes the zone and has no problems going with the zone for the rest of the year, and certainly has no reason to change things at the moment, but I just have a feeling. I think he may keep the zone for as long as situations don't require a change, but I could see a situation unfold like this:

Duke and Villanova are tied in the Final Four with 4 minutes left in the game. The under-4 media timeout occurs and Duke will be on defense after the timeout. Coach K tells the players let's go man for 2 possessions. Jay Wright and Villanova have drawn up a play to try and attack the zone, and have practiced a number of sets against the zone all week. Jalen Brunson brings the ball up and instantly realizes that Duke is in man. Chaos ensues. Villanova looks lost on a possession and commits a turnover. Brunson is yelling at the bench for a play call and is trying to get everyone on the same page again. (Meanwhile Bagley dunks on a dude.) The next Villanova possession looks a bit disjointed as they try and run an offense that generally works against man defense, but they haven't exactly practiced this recently and the transition isn't seamless. Another turnover or a bad shot ensues and Jay Wright calls a timeout to circle the wagons. Meanwhile Coach K tells the guys we're going back to zone. At best, Villanova is thrown into a bit of disorder and Duke gains the lead in a game where possessions are extremely precious. At worst, Coach K makes Jay Wright burn a timeout.

Perhaps it won't happen, perhaps it won't be needed, perhaps this is all a pointless exercise in speculation. But, wouldn't that be a pretty sweet scenario? I just think Coach K likes having an ace up his sleeve and he's one of the best strategists in the game (if not the best). I don't know, just a thought. Rip it apart if you will.

kAzE
03-19-2018, 02:41 PM
I have a prediction that I don't quite know where to post, so it seemed like this was as good a place as any. So, here it goes.

I don't believe it will happen against Syracuse, partly because I don't believe it will be necessary, but I have a theory that Coach K is going to go back to man at some point in the tournament.

I think he likes the zone and has no problems going with the zone for the rest of the year, and certainly has no reason to change things at the moment, but I just have a feeling. I think he may keep the zone for as long as situations don't require a change, but I could see a situation unfold like this:

Duke and Villanova are tied in the Final Four with 4 minutes left in the game. The under-4 media timeout occurs and Duke will be on defense after the timeout. Coach K tells the players let's go man for 2 possessions. Jay Wright and Villanova have drawn up a play to try and attack the zone, and have practiced a number of sets against the zone all week. Jalen Brunson brings the ball up and instantly realizes that Duke is in man. Chaos ensues. Villanova looks lost on a possession and commits a turnover. Brunson is yelling at the bench for a play call and is trying to get everyone on the same page again. (Meanwhile Bagley dunks on a dude.) The next Villanova possession looks a bit disjointed as they try and run an offense that generally works against man defense, but they haven't exactly practiced this recently and the transition isn't seamless. Another turnover or a bad shot ensues and Jay Wright calls a timeout to circle the wagons. Meanwhile Coach K tells the guys we're going back to zone. At best, Villanova is thrown into a bit of disorder and Duke gains the lead in a game where possessions are extremely precious. At worst, Coach K makes Jay Wright burn a timeout.

Perhaps it won't happen, perhaps it won't be needed, perhaps this is all a pointless exercise in speculation. But, wouldn't that be a pretty sweet scenario? I just think Coach K likes having an ace up his sleeve and he's one of the best strategists in the game (if not the best). I don't know, just a thought. Rip it apart if you will.

My question would be: Have we not already done this at least once since we became a full-time zone team? Switching defenses on the fly to disrupt a team's offensive flow is certainly something Coach K has done in past, so it wouldn't be surprising to see it for a possession or 2.

Bluedog
03-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Great work guys. Also, to give Sam a break, I also heard "in Kansas" from Donald and thought the same thing at that time, so it wasn't just you! :D But I listened again and Donald did indeed say "and Kansas" (not that I doubted you dwine!). :o

On another note, how is Jason Evans only a "manager"??? Something is askew with the DBR forum spork calculator when you get too many apparently!

kAzE
03-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Great work guys. Also, to give Sam a break, I also heard "in Kansas" from Donald and thought the same thing at that time, so it wasn't just you! :D But I listened again and Donald did indeed say "and Kansas" (not that I doubted you dwine!). :o

On another note, how is Jason Evans only a "manager"??? Something is askew with the DBR forum spork calculator when you get too many apparently!

I believe manager is intended to be the highest spork level, out of appreciation for the thankless job our team managers do each year :)

Dev11
03-19-2018, 03:48 PM

For those who don't know, One Shining Podcast is hosted by Mark Titus (Former Ohio St. walk-on player), and Tate Frazier (UNC fan/alum).

We do our show so Duke fans don't have to bother with garbage like One Shining Podcast*, don't you know that?

*I've never listened to it before, but your description was what I could have guessed. Also I thoroughly enjoy the CBS podcast with Parrish and Norlander.

JasonEvans
03-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Not sure what you are talking about... manager? Huh?

kAzE
03-19-2018, 03:50 PM
We do our show so Duke fans don't have to bother with garbage like One Shining Podcast*, don't you know that?

*I've never listened to it before, but your description was what I could have guessed. Also I thoroughly enjoy the CBS podcast with Parrish and Norlander.

Oh trust me, I'm not a regular listener. It's like going to the IC boards after a bad UNC loss. I wanted to hear the salt in their voices :)

Bluedog
03-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Not sure what you are talking about... manager? Huh?

I assume this is a genuine question, but apologies if it's not and I missed the joke. Perhaps I didn't provide enough context for you to know what I was talking about, but I thought mentioning "sporks" gave it away. In any event, for others who may not know, when you hover over the tridents next to your name, it displays what level a poster is: for example, "Starter," "All-ACC," "Hall of Famer," etc. But for Jason it says "JasonEvansis a Manager" (yes, it's missing a space) which sounds like a much lower level to me than those ones I just mentioned which are displayed for posters with fewer tridents/sporkz than him, but according to kAzE that was intentionally made to be the highest level. Ok, that is all.

Dukehky
03-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Oh trust me, I'm not a regular listener. It's like going to the IC boards after a bad UNC loss. I wanted to hear the salt in their voices :)

It's not that bad. I hate them when they talk about Duke, but if you want to hear good things about Duke, DBR Podcast is a great place to be. If you want to hear them make fun of literally every other team in the country, then it's okay.

Also, I would say that the officiating has been an atrocity in the tournament thus far. Thankfully, we have been beating the hell out of teams to the point that it hasn't mattered. But we got a piece of that on Saturday. Bagley had a guy just fall down behind him and got a charge. If we weren't hitting 3's and they called one more of those BS calls, Duke may have been in trouble.

Also, I agree that the tournament has been great, but we have been robbed of a lot of matchups for great games. UK/Ariz.; Duke/MSU, etc. If you don't have a dog in the fight, then that's disappointing. It's awesome if your teams road to the title gets a little easier.

Dev11
03-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Fun update from the podcast team: I'll be covering the Sweet Sixteen game in Omaha on Friday for DBR and WXDU. Any Omaha tips are welcome and encouraged, and if any DBR folks will be in town for the game and want to meet up after I'm finished with my very important responsibilities*, feel free to comment or PM me so we can enjoy malted beverages together. I'm flying solo for this one.

*explaining to Marvin Bagley how I compared him to Mufasa with cheat codes in Episode #110**

**I may not actually do this

BandAlum83
03-19-2018, 05:51 PM
I believe manager is intended to be the highest spork level, out of appreciation for the thankless job our team managers do each year :)

I'm not so sure about that. I don't know if I was ever a hall of fame level. I am still aspiring!

But if I have nowhere left to go, I don't know what I'll do!