PDA

View Full Version : Nothing could be finer...

53n206
03-18-2018, 07:24 PM
Than the faces on "thecheats" as they have the hell kicked out od them.

kcduke75
03-18-2018, 07:29 PM
They certainly seem to have given up early.

Reminds me of the old line, Why the long face, Mr. Ed?

Lots o' long faces there.

du_bb1
03-18-2018, 07:30 PM

ain't it the truth

ncexnyc
03-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Today has been an awesome day.:D

ipatent
03-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Link to Ole Roy in the press conference? Sniff sniff.

El_Diablo
03-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Gonna spend some quality time perusing IC tonight!

OldPhiKap
03-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Gonna spend some quality time perusing IC tonight!

Follow ICMeltdown on Twitter, he culls the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

weezie
03-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Right now it's pretty subdued. A butt-whomping at home does that.

I imagine the whole fan base will be trudging upstairs and straight into bed with no dinner tonight...:cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
03-18-2018, 07:44 PM
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifGO TO HELL carolina! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif GO TO HELL!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

OldPhiKap
03-18-2018, 07:48 PM
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifGO TO HELL carolina! http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif GO TO HELL!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Clap, clap.

arnie
03-18-2018, 07:48 PM
My favorite day of the year - the Heels go down (and in Charlotte no less). Will need to find an A@M jersey tomorrow.

MarkD83
03-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Is the unc loss more enjoyable than the Syracuse win????

YES!!!!!

OldPhiKap
03-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Clap, clap!

bluebeagle
03-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Look on the bright side. Now they can all go back to class!!

FerryFor50
03-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Shouldn’t this thread title be “Nothing could be finer”?

El_Diablo
03-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Follow ICMeltdown on Twitter, he culls the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Oh, I do...but even the chaff can be pretty good on a night like this!

DukeDevilDeb
03-18-2018, 08:02 PM

You sound just like the people on IC when we lose. Hard to be a good loser. Even harder to be a good winner. No place for this in a Duke board. Let them address it on IC.

slower
03-18-2018, 08:15 PM
You sound just like the people on IC when we lose. Hard to be a good loser. Even harder to be a good winner. No place for this in a Duke board. Let them address it on IC.
Oh, please. Get over yourself.

Bob Green
03-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Oh, please. Get over yourself.

I agree with DukeDevilDeb, sportsmanship is both important and lacking in modern society.

weezie
03-18-2018, 08:22 PM
Guess this will give them more time to focus on their "Jimmy B vs the Rat" thread.

Lots more time.

slower
03-18-2018, 08:26 PM
I agree with DukeDevilDeb, sportsmanship is both important and lacking in modern society.
We're SPORTS FANS - a little gloating never killed anybody. The whole "we're Duke fans, so we don't do those things" seems a tad sanctimonious to me.

DU82
03-18-2018, 08:28 PM

I'll treat them the same way they treated me leaving the Bi-Lo Center last season.

Reddevil
03-18-2018, 08:28 PM
To our fallen brethren I say, a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.

.....Bubbles

Steven43
03-18-2018, 08:29 PM

Two decades of blatant cheating should not ever be forgotten or minimized. They have earned every bit of scorn and ridicule coming their way. I don’t think this is a sportsmanship issue at all.

alteran
03-18-2018, 08:31 PM

It looks to me like you are agreeing with something she didn’t actually say. She said that DBR was as bad as IC when one member did some relatively mild cheat-bashing.

Regarding the original post, I’m not sure that the mild schadenfraud* here puts us at the level of IC, but if you have a case to make, DDD, by all means make it.

For my money, every bit of pain the cheats get is deserved— and they’ll never even up their karma.

—alteran

* when it’s the cheats, it’s schadenfraud.

AtlDuke72
03-18-2018, 08:33 PM
I'll treat them the same way they treated me leaving the Bi-Lo Center last season.

Turn the other cheek .

Green Wave Dukie
03-18-2018, 08:35 PM
My favorite day of the year - the Heels go down (and in Charlotte no less). Will need to find an A@M jersey tomorrow.

My oldest daughter did an internship in the Chemistry department in College Station last summer, so fortunately, I already have mine!!!

arnie
03-18-2018, 08:36 PM
IMHO, 9F is much worse than anything said on this thread.

jipops
03-18-2018, 08:39 PM
I prefer to separate the players from the other folk. All indications are these unc players are solid character guys. They compete and it is understandably difficult for them to see it all end. They just happen to play for a truly disgusting program who couldn’t give a damn about their education and overall well being while also followed by a fan base that prefers to forever keep its collective head in the sand.

I genuinely wish Berry and Pinson the best of luck in the future.

Reddevil
03-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Come on Duke fans. they got away with systematic cheating and won 2 out of 3 this year. ABC has happened. a little joy and even some gloating is appropriate. then we forget about them for a while.

DukeDevilDeb
03-18-2018, 08:41 PM
It looks to me like you are agreeing with something she didn’t actually say. She said that DBR was as bad as IC when one member did some relatively mild cheat-bashing.

Regarding the original post, I’m not sure that the mild schadenfraud* here puts us at the level of IC, but if you have a case to make, DDD, by all means make it.

For my money, every bit of pain the cheats get is deserved— and they’ll never even up their karma.

—alteran

* when it’s the cheats, it’s schadenfraud.

Years ago I did some very mild Carolina bashing and got really zinged for it by the mods. Made me think a lot.

We can be happy that they lost. I am. We can be disgusted by their cheating and getting away with it. I am.

And I didn't like it when I walked into Burger King Friday night and a Tar Heel fan said You can't beat anyone better than Iona and you're going home this weekend; we are going to the Final Four... all this because I was wearing a Duke shirt (and Duke jacket and Duke Shoe laces and... you get the idea).

I just had a visceral reaction to what I was reading here... not what was being said but the way it sounded. My bad if I was wrong.

But I've been on the faculty here for over 30 years and one of the things I love most about Duke Basketball and Duke in general is that we do take the high road. And the coach who just won his 1099th game yesterday ALWAYS takes the high road. Not such a bad idea, really.

DU82
03-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Turn the other cheek .

You want me to moon them? :rolleyes:

Bluedevil114
03-18-2018, 08:46 PM
IMHO, 9F is much worse than anything said on this thread.

9F, 9F, 9F. Wow that feels so good.

killerleft
03-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Here's something positive - Auburn is making UNC look fabulous by comparison. Go ACC (now that Kerlina is gone!).

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 08:48 PM

I just told my wife that I was not really a hater of Carolina...until that happened last year. Thus today I thoroughly enjoyed the show from Charlotte.

Eternal Outlaw
03-18-2018, 08:57 PM
Years ago I did some very mild Carolina bashing and got really zinged for it by the mods. Made me think a lot.

We can be happy that they lost. I am. We can be disgusted by their cheating and getting away with it. I am.

And I didn't like it when I walked into Burger King Friday night and a Tar Heel fan said You can't beat anyone better than Iona and you're going home this weekend; we are going to the Final Four... all this because I was wearing a Duke shirt (and Duke jacket and Duke Shoe laces and... you get the idea).

I just had a visceral reaction to what I was reading here... not what was being said but the way it sounded. My bad if I was wrong.

But I've been on the faculty here for over 30 years and one of the things I love most about Duke Basketball and Duke in general is that we do take the high road. And the coach who just won his 1099th game yesterday ALWAYS takes the high road. Not such a bad idea, really.

Think there is a difference as a fan confronted you personally and this thread is a place for Duke fans to talk among themselves. Yes, a UNC fan can click in but they probably should be aware before they step in that it might not be kind to their school and be able to handle what they read much like a Duke fan should expect at IC.

I had a UNC fan taunt/name call me plus lay a hand on me at the PK80 at half of the Texas game. I would never say a fan should do that to another but I see a wide gap between that or your experience and people in this thread throwing dislike at UNC. The people in our experiences made sure that we had to deal with them while this thread would have to be voluntarily visited by opposing fans.

lotusland
03-18-2018, 08:58 PM

9F forever.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Well, it’s particularly lacking over at the dump. Has been for decades.

ncexnyc
03-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Several years ago when Kendall Marshall broke his wrist during the tournament, Cheat fans wanted the kid from Creighton's head on a pike. I doubt they shed a tear for UVA's Hunter after they were responsible for him breaking his wrist and to show just how low they really are they had the nerve to root against UVA the other night.

So no, they don't deserve any slack, especially after they managed to duck, dodge, and deflect their way through the biggest scandal in the history of college sports to a title last year.

jv001
03-18-2018, 09:24 PM
No sympathy for their cheating program and fans. 99% of their fans think they did anything wrong regarding their years of cheating. That percentage goes up to 100% of cheat fans on our board. At least that's the way I see it. GoDuke!

PackMan97
03-18-2018, 09:33 PM
In an effort not to lose my posting privledges here at the DBR, I'll simply post a link to describe my state of mind tonight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Of course, the Lady Pack put a beat down on the B1G Maryland Terps to punch their ticket to the sweet 16 (first time since 2007), so there is some good news as well...not to mention the Wrestling team finished on the Podium at nationals (#4) and has one wrestler win their weight, another finish 2nd and two more finish in the top 4 for the highest ever team finish by State or an ACC team this weekend as well.

Carolina was just the cherry on top.

elvis14
03-18-2018, 11:28 PM
Fans and players for this program that cheated for decades while acting like they are better than everyone else deserve every bit of scorn we can give them. Once they bought their way out of punishment last year, I no longer feel the need to be civil to anything or anyone UNCheat. I don't like their current players, don't think they are 'good guys'; they chose to join the program after the cheating was exposed. Good guys don't do that. I'm so glad they lost, having them make the final 4 and win an asterisk championship last year was an embarrassment to the NCAA and the tournament and having them out of the tournament returns some legitimacy for the rest of us.

Hope that wasn't too nice, I had to tone it down a little.

Coballs
03-18-2018, 11:35 PM

Are you Jay Bilas?

And did I have too many IPAs tonight or are we seriously no longer allowed to be happy on this board when the Cheats get blown out of the tournament in North Carolina on the first weekend?

Steven43
03-18-2018, 11:43 PM
Fans and players for this program that cheated for decades while acting like they are better than everyone else deserve every bit of scorn we can give them. Once they bought their way out of punishment last year, I no longer feel the need to be civil to anything or anyone UNCheat. I don't like their current players, don't think they are 'good guys'; they chose to join the program after the cheating was exposed. Good guys don't do that. I'm so glad they lost, having them make the final 4 and win an asterisk championship last year was an embarrassment to the NCAA and the tournament and having them out of the tournament returns some legitimacy for the rest of us.

Hope that wasn't too nice, I had to tone it down a little.
I wish you hadn’t toned it down. Every single person at UNC who was directly involved in the cheating—as well as anyone who subsequently found out about it and has either defended the cheating or turned a blind eye to it—is culpable and forever deserves our condemnation and ridicule.

FerryFor50
03-18-2018, 11:57 PM

Irony: criticism of how Duke fans badmouth UNC, while simultaneously denigrating UNC fans.

cptnflash
03-19-2018, 12:09 AM
So other than the fact that Kentucky now has the best odds of making the final four (57% chance), the first weekend of the tournament was about as good as it could have possibly been.

Coballs
03-19-2018, 12:19 AM
So other than the fact that Kentucky now has the best odds of making the final four (57% chance), the first weekend of the tournament was about as good as it could have possibly been.

Much more concerned about Villanova's progress than any other team. I hope we get to play UK because banner #6 would be heading up to the rafters.

Bluedog
03-19-2018, 12:28 AM
Much more concerned about Villanova's progress than any other team. I hope we get to play UK because banner #6 would be heading up to the rafters.

Yeah, Nova has looked great. Same model gives Nova a 22% chance to win it all and Duke is second at 18% (KY and Kansas at 11%). But long way to go before worrying about Nova.

cptnflash
03-19-2018, 12:38 AM

I’m basically assuming that no one is beating Nova except for us. Have it that way in my bracket as well. Obviously hope they get upset before they get to us but not counting on it.

But more importantly, I can deal with Jay Wright winning a second title if it comes to that. I can’t deal with Calipari being gift wrapped a trip to the finals by the bracket gods and then winning one game against a real team for his second title. No one’s odds of winning it all improved more over the first weekend than Kentucky’s. That’s why I’m citing that as my only downside from an otherwise awesome weekend of college basketball.

heyman25
03-19-2018, 12:51 AM
Guess this will give them more time to focus on their "Jimmy B vs the Rat" thread.

Lots more time.
Rotten UNC fans deserve this beatdown.I had the pleasure of getting Suite tickets of the Lakers vs Heat Friday night. One of the guests is wearing a UNC t shirt. Very loud and even screamed Go Heels . Just rude and a bore. My party all agreed the man was a JERK.Stepped on the theater seats. Moving the ceiling lights. UNC man invited but acts like it is his suite. Hope he and his tarhole family :cool:sulks tonight.

KandG
03-19-2018, 01:10 AM

I tend to take the approach by DukeDevilDeb here when it comes to most things, try to be very civil and good natured with the banter. But I've learned that when it comes to long time historic rivals in many sports (not just college basketball), a certain amount of pettiness is fine and expected. I see it in soccer, college football, etc and just take the back and forth for what it's worth as long as it doesn't cross certain lines. I do have higher expectations of the banter on DBR, but rivalries are rivalries.

And in my very direct experience with this particular rivalry over many years, I've found my past attempts at civility met with some of the pettiest and least classy behavior, even from so-called friends or "decent people" on the UNC side. (I've actually lost a couple of friends and/or decided to limit contact with certain people as a result). Don't believe for a second that the childish posts about Duke and Coach K on certain boards reflect only the lunatic fringe of internet fans...those attitudes persist among many superficially reasonable fans as well, and they're not afraid to share those opinions.

With all that said, despite my long list of UNC players I've had issues with and some of the stuff already shared in this thread (and others), I can honestly say that Berry, Pinson and Maye are among my favorite UNC players and I've enjoyed watching them play and handle themselves well, even as I throughly enjoyed watching their team get dismantled by Texas A&M.

dudog84
03-19-2018, 01:34 AM
I’m basically assuming that no one is beating Nova except for us. Have it that way in my bracket as well. Obviously hope they get upset before they get to us but not counting on it.

But more importantly, I can deal with Jay Wright winning a second title if it comes to that. I can’t deal with Calipari being gift wrapped a trip to the finals by the bracket gods and then winning one game against a real team for his second title. No one’s odds of winning it all improved more over the first weekend than Kentucky’s. That’s why I’m citing that as my only downside from an otherwise awesome weekend of college basketball.

You need to ask UVa, Arizona, and uNC if they played any "real" teams this weekend.

Devilwin
03-19-2018, 07:56 AM
Most of the UNC fans I know are in my face when they beat us, or if we lose to anyone. Abrasive, loud, and vulgar. Tomorrow, when I go back to work, I intend to ask them who they play this coming weekend. I am gonna say,"Oops, nobody? That's right, you didn't make it"!
I am all for taking the high road, especially with fans of teams like, say, UVA, who rarely act like cretins. But UNC fans by and large have earned what they get.
It has never been in my nature to turn the other cheek, especially when the offending party goes on and on. But since I got to be good, I won't say anything here now..
Except..HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

weezie
03-19-2018, 08:06 AM
...And in my very direct experience with this particular rivalry over many years, I've found my past attempts at civility met with some of the pettiest and least classy behavior, even from so-called friends or "decent people" on the UNC side. (I've actually lost a couple of friends and/or decided to limit contact with certain people as a result). Don't believe for a second that the childish posts about Duke and Coach K on certain boards reflect only the lunatic fringe of internet fans...those attitudes persist among many superficially reasonable fans as well, and they're not afraid to share those opinions...

Same experience here. People we thought were good, solid friends were so loud and condemning during the lax hoax, and who never "took it back", fell off the face of the friend planet. The hint of strain is still there in the occasional contacts that we've had over the years. I took great pleasure in a single word text of "Wow" after the loss yesterday, knowing that would suffice to convey my flat out enjoyment of that pathetic performance. I hope they felt sick.

Clay Feet POF
03-19-2018, 08:24 AM

Plus Tax.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-19-2018, 08:26 AM
From observing the Greenville debacle last season on TV, it appeared that the Cheats fans cheering against Duke was a much bigger factor than any Duke fans cheering for Arkansas? Can anyone verify this for me?

Clay Feet POF
03-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Same experience here. People we thought were good, solid friends were so loud and condemning during the lax hoax, and who never "took it back", fell off the face of the friend planet. The hint of strain is still there in the occasional contacts that we've had over the years. I took great pleasure in a single word text of "Wow" after the loss yesterday, knowing that would suffice to convey my flat out enjoyment of that pathetic performance. I hope they felt sick.

After Dr Foster, your my second best Hero.

UrinalCake
03-19-2018, 08:35 AM
I live near Chapel Hill and work with a ton of UNC fans. They are horrible. They all know for a fact that K is evil and a terrible person, that he pays all of his recruits, that all of our players take one semester of sociology classes and then stop going to class, that our coaches teach how to get fake foul calls, that ESPN is in our back pocket, etc. There is no actual basketball knowledge among them, they just know that UNC is everything holy and right while Duke is a disgrace. Last March was miserable for me, having to hear it from these mouth breathers all summer long. I can’t tell you how happy I am that they lost while we are looking poised for a deep run.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Most of the UNC fans I know are in my face when they beat us, or if we lose to anyone. Abrasive, loud, and vulgar. Tomorrow, when I go back to work, I intend to ask them who they play this coming weekend. I am gonna say,"Oops, nobody? That's right, you didn't make it"!
I am all for taking the high road, especially with fans of teams like, say, UVA, who rarely act like cretins. But UNC fans by and large have earned what they get.
It has never been in my nature to turn the other cheek, especially when the offending party goes on and on. But since I got to be good, I won't say anything here now..
Except..HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
I will just offer this one recommendation. I learned this from my father rest his soul... you go into work on an occasion like this and say exactly nothing. All day. No matter what. You just wait. The silence is excruciating for your enemies. They expect you to say something. And when you don’t, it just eats them alive from the inside until they finally break down and open their yapper about it. Try it.

devil84
03-19-2018, 08:59 AM
I will just offer this one recommendation. I learned this from my father rest his soul... you go into work on an occasion like this and say exactly nothing. All day. No matter what. You just wait. The silence is excruciating for your enemies. They expect you to say something. And when you don’t, it just eats them alive from the inside until they finally break down and open their yapper about it. Try it.

This. Oh, and be nice, too. Don't ignore them. Talk about the weather, the beautiful spring flowers, what the kids' did this weekend -- whatever you'd talk about on a normal, glorious spring day. But not one word about basketball. Not one. They have their expectations and have been preparing their excuses and steading themselves for the onslaught. And it never comes. They keep preparing. Waiting. Waiting some more. They want to talk, to vent, to call Duke names. And they can't.

It's wonderful.

budwom
03-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Regardless of what DBR decides to do, bashing-wise, it has been officially declared Schadenfreude Day in Vermont, daylong festivities, and the sun is shining (even if the temperature is -8 F, ouch).

-jk
03-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Always a classic- Buds sprouting, birds singing... (I cringed when it was posted before, but well, it works now...)

-jk

Devils Librarian
03-19-2018, 09:40 AM
I live in Durham and I often won't wear Duke gear if I'm going out for the night because I've learned that UNC-CH people can't keep their mouths shut. Almost getting into a physical altercation at the zoo was an eye opening experience of how infantile the Disney-princess-blue fans really are.

I never talk trash about Carolina. I never mention when we beat them. My UNC-CH friends do not return this favor. So, I'm going to respectfully disagree with people on this Duke message board about needing to be respectful about our rivals getting dump trucked in their own backyard. Yes Berry and Pinson seem like very nice young men. Great! My problem is less with them than with the program for which they have played and their delusional, entitled, elitist yet somehow "University of the people" fans.

elvis14
03-19-2018, 09:53 AM
I tend to say very little to Cheater fans and post very little when we play them (win or lose). I generally make a post on Facebook like "We are all Aggie fans tonight. Always a great thing when the student athletes win.". At the same time I can't stand the online support they get and don't like kids that chose to attend a crooked program being described as "Good guys" and after they bought their way out of cheating, I'm much more likely to let them know. I no longer use the 3 letters with out the 'heat' suffix.

I know 2 reasonable UNCheat fans. One even watched the 2001 championship game with me at Raleighwood and was cheering with me. The other is just a very reasonable and respectable man who doesn't let his fandom override his personality. So that's 2 out of about 1000 that I know.....

Devilwin
03-19-2018, 09:55 AM
This. Oh, and be nice, too. Don't ignore them. Talk about the weather, the beautiful spring flowers, what the kids' did this weekend -- whatever you'd talk about on a normal, glorious spring day. But not one word about basketball. Not one. They have their expectations and have been preparing their excuses and steading themselves for the onslaught. And it never comes. They keep preparing. Waiting. Waiting some more. They want to talk, to vent, to call Duke names. And they can't.

It's wonderful.
That would work out fine if they'd only stand and talk, instead, they flee like the hyena flees from the lion...

curtis325
03-19-2018, 09:55 AM
I don't understand the board's love of Pinson. He is one of the biggest floppers in the sport. If he can't make the NBA, maybe he belongs in FIFA.

aimo
03-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Always a classic- Buds sprouting, birds singing... (I cringed when it was posted before, but well, it works now...)

-jk

God, I miss Doug Marlette!

slower
03-19-2018, 09:57 AM
I live in Durham and I often won't wear Duke gear if I'm going out for the night because I've learned that UNC-CH people can't keep their mouths shut. Almost getting into a physical altercation at the zoo was an eye opening experience of how infantile the Disney-princess-blue fans really are.

I never talk trash about Carolina. I never mention when we beat them. My UNC-CH friends do not return this favor. So, I'm going to respectfully disagree with people on this Duke message board about needing to be respectful about our rivals getting dump trucked in their own backyard. Yes Berry and Pinson seem like very nice young men. Great! My problem is less with them than with the program for which they have played and their delusional, entitled, elitist yet somehow "University of the people" fans.

Post of the year. Dead-on accurate.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2018, 09:58 AM
I don't understand the board's love of Pinson. He is one of the biggest floppers in the sport. If he can't make the NBA, maybe he belongs in FIFA.

I love that he's gone. Other than that . . meh.

FerryFor50
03-19-2018, 10:01 AM
I live near Chapel Hill and work with a ton of UNC fans. They are horrible. They all know for a fact that K is evil and a terrible person, that he pays all of his recruits, that all of our players take one semester of sociology classes and then stop going to class, that our coaches teach how to get fake foul calls, that ESPN is in our back pocket, etc. There is no actual basketball knowledge among them, they just know that UNC is everything holy and right while Duke is a disgrace. Last March was miserable for me, having to hear it from these mouth breathers all summer long. I can’t tell you how happy I am that they lost while we are looking poised for a deep run.

I think it's safe to say that our reactions to UNC losses is shaped by our interactions and experiences with fans.

Some people have had pleasant experiences. Some are downright nasty.

The way I see it, if you stick to bashing the program, its lack of scruples, its failures and the occasional hate-able player, it's fair game.

Wishing ill harm on a player, fan or coach or being overly nasty about them is a bit beyond the pale, IMO.

I grew up in rural NC, with a ton of redneck UNC fans - most of whom would not and could not get into the school. They were nasty and relentless.

As I got older and moved to Raleigh and dealt with UNC fans and students, the ribbing became more good natured for the most part.

Turnabout is fair play, IMO.

devildeac
03-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Regardless of what DBR decides to do, bashing-wise, it has been officially declared Schadenfreude Day in Vermont, daylong festivities, and the sun is shining (even if the temperature is -8 F, ouch).

Only -8F?

Close enough for me!!

alteran
03-19-2018, 10:38 AM

This is actually my favorite strategy. Say nothing, just be a little more chipper than usual (how could you not be, amirite?), move your Duke schwag to a more visible location on your desk. When faced with a choice between email and dropping by in person, drop by. Mention nothing.

The smart and more classy people mention the game, and despite my militant attitude here, I do in fact try to be gracious. The dimmer, more cretinous fume inside, effectively punishing themselves.

The beauty of this strategy is it is simultaneously gracious AND petty, in all the right ways, and the jerkwads punish themselves.

wilson
03-19-2018, 11:43 AM

It's wonderful.I am blessed to work in a place where I can wear a t-shirt to work every day. Today, I'm wearing a Duke shirt (of course), and when people ask about unc (as several already have), I just say, "What about them? They're out, right?"
Feigned ignorance is schadenfreudic bliss.

WillJ
03-19-2018, 11:46 AM
There are many things that I'm willing to give up in the name of decency and kindness. Quietly enjoying UNC failures is not one of them.

Highlander
03-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Every year I have two goals in the Tourney - Duke wins and UNC loses. I cackled with laughter when I saw UNC was going to lose yesterday. I grew up in NC and have a ton of UNC friends today and have taken my share of ribbing over the years. I chose not to let it bother me. Plus, I was always taught to act better than the fans who constantly talk trash, especially if they are obvious homers whose team can do no wrong. It's much harder than throwing it back in their faces, but oh so much more satisfying. Good news is almost all of my UNC fans today are people whom I respect and who don't do anything beyond some good natured ribbing.

Everyone's entitled to respond how they choose, and it always feels good to watch UNC fans eat crow. I personally don't think one has a whole lot of room to complain about obnoxious fan bases when one responds in kind, but that's just my opinion.

I posted the following on Facebook yesterday:

"Hmm, an ACC #2 seed loses to an SEC #7 seed in the second round, despite getting a local pod for its game. Sounds eerily familiar."

oldnavy
03-19-2018, 02:32 PM
... them and the horse they rode up on. 9f forever!
My guess is the further removed from the UNC fan base, the more sympathetic you can afford to be. When I lived in the Alutiens for 2 years, I felt my hatred for all things UNC wane a bit... but it came back real fast when we moved back to Durham...

Reddevil
03-19-2018, 02:33 PM
To our fallen brethren I say, a little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.

....Bubbles

I just realized it was Chuckles the clown not Bubbles, but the sentiment applies. It was 40 years ago after all. Then as now - GTHC GTH.:D

BD80
03-19-2018, 02:45 PM
I just realized it was Chuckles the clown not Bubbles, but the sentiment applies. It was 40 years ago after all. Then as now - GTHC GTH.:D

Well, considering they usually cram a dozen or so of those clowns into the container, Bubbles was probably there too ...

tteettimes
03-19-2018, 02:46 PM
There was so much salt in the air that I thought I was at the beach when I realized I drove past Chapel Hill 🤣🤣🤣
Cropped this from FB

DU82
03-19-2018, 03:16 PM
I tend to keep to the quiet side, unless somebody brings up the subject. (I haven't run into the two cheater fans today; one is out of the office, I suspect the other's lying low.) While I said earlier in the thread that I'd treat them the way I was treated last year in Greenville, my parents brought me up to be nicer than that, so I rarely respond.

More often, I'm wearing a Duke shirt/sweatshirt, and get comments from people I don't know, and haven't interacted with before. I will sometimes respond...

After the 2010 championship, about a month later I was getting off a plane at RDU wearing a Duke shirt. The baggage guy at the ramp said something like "Duke sux." I quickly responded "Good luck next year in the NIT." (He did laugh.)

After the scandal at uNC broke, I was at the Nike store in Smithfield buying a Duke jacket, the clerk said I was shopping in the wrong section, and I said "I only shop in the non-cheating sections."

Reddevil
03-19-2018, 03:19 PM
Well, considering they usually cram a dozen or so of those clowns into the container, Bubbles was probably there too ...

Speaking of clowns, I wore my only pair of argyle socks to work today. Do you think that is subtle enough? (black and grey)

sagegrouse
03-19-2018, 03:27 PM
I wish you hadn’t toned it down. Every single person at UNC who was directly involved in the cheating—as well as anyone who subsequently found out about it and has either defended the cheating or turned a blind eye to it—is culpable and forever deserves our condemnation and ridicule.

Not so fast there. Some of us actually don't care about UNC one way or the other and don't want to have to read a bunch of bilge lambasting them in every message thread. Of course, it helps that I live in Colorado and all the UNC grads I know here are really nice people who care little about sports.

sagegrouse
03-19-2018, 03:31 PM
This is actually my favorite strategy. Say nothing, just be a little more chipper than usual (how could you not be, amirite?), move your Duke schwag to a more visible location on your desk. When faced with a choice between email and dropping by in person, drop by. Mention nothing.

The smart and more classy people mention the game, and despite my militant attitude here, I do in fact try to be gracious. The dimmer, more cretinous fume inside, effectively punishing themselves.

The beauty of this strategy is it is simultaneously gracious AND petty, in all the right ways, and the jerkwads punish themselves.

Actually, on a number of occasions at RDU, I re-arrange the apparel in the merchandise shops, putting the Duke stuff in the front and the UNC stuff behind. No one has ever said anything.

-jk
03-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Actually, on a number of occasions at RDU, I re-arrange the apparel in the merchandise shops, putting the Duke stuff in the front and the UNC stuff behind. No one has ever said anything.

That's the spirit!

-jk

PackMan97
03-19-2018, 03:58 PM

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on sagegrouse again."

We are kindred spirits, my friend. I have been known to do the same thing but with State stuff. My wife HATES it. She thinks it's childish and immature. I don't really care if she's right.

note: I never bother to cover up Duke stuff.

jimsumner
03-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Oh, mean looks at the office.

Poor babies.

I live in west Raleigh, so the NC State influence is pretty significant.

So, this may have been NC State folks.

And this did happen 30 or so years ago and hasn't been repeated.

So, an outlier. I hope.

But anyway. I'm out running and wearing a Duke t-shirt.

Car drives by. Someone yells "Duke sucks" and throws a watermelon at me.

Seriously. A watermelon.

It missed. Probably tough to accurately aim a watermelon thrown from a moving car.

Lots of questions. Did these folks just keep a watermelon in their car for targets of opportunity? Or was it just a fortuitous combination of events, newly-purchased watermelon, guy in Duke T-shirt, give it a shot?

Why a watermelon?

Why not an orange or a banana?

I just sort of stood there with a what-was-that-look on my face.

They drove off and I'm left with only memories of that most curious encounter.

jdc75
03-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Anyone know how or where one might be able to watch a full game replay of this.
I was too chicken to tune in. I kept up with the score but even at the 5 minute mark and a 20 point lead I didn't have the guts. I've been burned way too many times.
What a lovely sports weekend!!

BD80
03-19-2018, 06:28 PM
... I'm out running and wearing a Duke t-shirt.

Seriously. A watermelon.

It missed. Probably tough to accurately aim a watermelon thrown from a moving car.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a watermelon ...

You were Patches O'Houlihan?

jimsumner
03-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Not so fast there. Some of us actually don't care about UNC one way or the other and don't want to have to read a bunch of bilge lambasting them in every message thread. Of course, it helps that I live in Colorado and all the UNC grads I know here are really nice people who care little about sports.

Are you sure the nice folks wearing UNC shirts aren't actually fans/grads of the University of Northern Colorado? :)

arnie
03-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Now that’s an anomaly. We’re they asked to leave North Carolina because they’re nice or because they don’t like basketball?

Steven43
03-19-2018, 07:26 PM
I know 2 reasonable UNCheat fans. One even watched the 2001 championship game with me at Raleighwood and was cheering with me. The other is just a very reasonable and respectable man who doesn't let his fandom override his personality. So that's 2 out of about 1000 that I know...
There is no way I believe that a genuine Tarheel fan watched Duke win a National Championship and cheered the Blue Devils on to victory. That simply could not have happened on this planet.

kako
03-19-2018, 07:35 PM
I see the discussion here about the question to gloat over the Duke win and Carolina loss.

The Bible states "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the Lord see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him." Proverbs 24:17-18

From US News report on schadenfreude (https://health.usnews.com/wellness/mind/articles/2017-03-01/the-roots-of-schadenfreude-why-we-take-pleasure-in-other-peoples-pain) featuring Mina Cikara, an assistant professor of psychology at Harvard University: If you're prone to frequent schadenfreude, it's also wise to consider what that might say about you. Ask yourself: Do I feel insecure, inadequate or inferior in some way? If you do, think about whether there's any productive action you could take to address those feelings. If the group whose misfortune you relished had previously had success you could have received but didn't, it's worth considering what you could do differently in the future to garner that kind of success.

From the Simpsons, Nelson Muntz says, "Ha Ha!"

I'm a non-practicing Presbyterian and think pop psychology is garbage. So I side with Nelson. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Tm0SQT7N4)

CameronBlue
03-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Poor babies.

So, an outlier. I hope.

Seriously. A watermelon.

Lots of questions. Did these folks just keep a watermelon in their car for targets of opportunity? Or was it just a fortuitous combination of events, newly-purchased watermelon, guy in Duke T-shirt, give it a shot?

Why a watermelon?

Maybe Gallagher was in town. A prop comic never suffers for his art...alone.

SoCalDukeFan
03-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Went on a trip to SE Asia this winter with a tour group and one of those on the tour was a very nice person who went to un-cheats.

For me the best day of the NCAA Tournament is when Duke wins it all, very good days are when Duke wins the game. Days un-cheats lose are also very good days.

I love thought of all those carolina fans driving home from Charlotte after that beating.

SoCal

weezie
03-19-2018, 08:03 PM
...I'm out running and wearing a Duke t-shirt.
Seriously. A watermelon.

Why a watermelon?

Because they won it at the county fair for kissing a pig? And the pig was their cousin?

BigWayne
03-19-2018, 08:47 PM

Poor babies.

So, an outlier. I hope.

Seriously. A watermelon.

Why a watermelon?

Inquiring minds want to know the fate of said watermelon. Did it just bounce in the grass or did it explode impressively? Were you able to quench your thirst with any surviving portions? Was there alcohol involved?

Furniture
03-19-2018, 09:02 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8216&stc=1

El_Diablo
03-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Was there alcohol involved?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say yes.

jimsumner
03-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Inquiring minds want to know the fate of said watermelon. Did it just bounce in the grass or did it explode impressively? Were you able to quench your thirst with any surviving portions? Was there alcohol involved?

Ka-blooey!!

Watermelon meets road. Road wins.

Duke79UNLV77
03-19-2018, 09:40 PM

Poor babies.

So, an outlier. I hope.

Seriously. A watermelon.

Why a watermelon?

If it had been guns and drugs thrown out of the car, I would suspect P.J. Hairston.

Reilly
03-19-2018, 09:43 PM

I hope you softly say to yourself "order has been restored" as you leave the scene.

elvis14
03-20-2018, 07:07 AM

So I'm not the only one! I do that everywhere I go. I had to read your post my wife who just shook her head and rolled her eyes.

There is no way I believe that a genuine Tarheel fan watched Duke win a National Championship and cheered the Blue Devils on to victory. That simply could not have happened on this planet.

He's a Heels fan that grew up in NC, lived in Cary and worked at SAS at the time. He wasn't just sitting there giving it a golf clap, I remember him up off his feet giving me high fives. A true anomaly and really great guy (who sadly moved out of the country).

As for public gloating. I don't consider DBR the same as Facebook and other open, unmoderated public forums. DBR is more important but I do bash the Cheaters more here. I take the less is more approach outside of DBR. Although, since they bought their way out of sanctions I generally post something like "We are all Aggie fans tonight. Always a great thing when the student athletes win". I don't reach out directly to any of their fans and gloat or anything like that (although, let Duke lose and they find me in person, on my phone, FB, Twitter, etc.). I simply don't respond to any Cheater fan on DBR who has chosen to act like the cheating didn't happen.

slower
03-20-2018, 07:30 AM
I don't reach out directly to any of their fans and gloat or anything like that (although, let Duke lose and they find me in person, on my phone, FB, Twitter, etc.). I simply don't respond to any Cheater fan on DBR who has chosen to act like the cheating didn't happen.

And THAT'S the thing about Hole fans - they will go far out of their way to get in any and all digs at Duke. Same as it ever was.

They will publicly wish for Duke losses before games, they will of course rub it in and crow after Duke losses, and even if Duke wins, they'll rant against K and Grayson. It's just in their DNA.

PackMan97
03-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Although, since they bought their way out of sanctions I generally post something like "We are all Aggie fans tonight. Always a great thing when the student athletes win".

I don't even do this any more. It's sad to see how much enjoyment I used to get out of March Madness (even when the Pack wasn't playing). I'd post about games. i'd cheer for anyone but Carolina. I'd root for the underdog. I'd fill out multiple brackets. Now, it's pretty much nothing. I've just gone into total silence. Carolina has ruined college sports for me. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it (otherwise I' wouldn't be posting here), but it's just not the same.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-20-2018, 09:06 AM
I don't even do this any more. It's sad to see how much enjoyment I used to get out of March Madness (even when the Pack wasn't playing). I'd post about games. i'd cheer for anyone but Carolina. I'd root for the underdog. I'd fill out multiple brackets. Now, it's pretty much nothing. I've just gone into total silence. Carolina has ruined college sports for me. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it (otherwise I' wouldn't be posting here), but it's just not the same.
Not throwing shade here but I suspect Robinson, Sendek, Lowe and Gott may also have had something to do with you not enjoying college sports as much. I for one am hopeful that Keatts rights the ship and leads the Pack back to consistent relevance.

devilseven
03-20-2018, 09:09 AM
And THAT'S the thing about Hole fans - they will go far out of their way to get in any and all digs at Duke. Same as it ever was.

They will publicly wish for Duke losses before games, they will of course rub it in and crow after Duke losses, and even if Duke wins, they'll rant against K and Grayson. It's just in their DNA.

Exactly. I learned many years ago that you can not be nice to cheat fans. So, if you get a chance, let them have it. You better believe that they will come after you at every opportunity.
Uncheat has an inferiority complex regarding Duke, and it comes out in all kinds of ways. Some of their graduation speakers even throw in a dig or two at Duke. I have a theory about that. For all those years, Uncheat ruled the roost in N.C., then along came upstart Duke who has surpassed them in every category: undergraduate rating, hospital, med school, law school, etc The only thing they had to crow about was basketball, then along came Bubas, Foster, and now Coach K and took that away. They resorted to cheating in order to get that back, and are still behind. They simply can not handle it.

elvis14
03-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Exactly. I learned many years ago that you can not be nice to cheat fans. So, if you get a chance, let them have it. You better believe that they will come after you at every opportunity.

Uncheat has an inferiority complex regarding Duke, and it comes out in all kinds of ways. Some of their graduation speakers even throw in a dig or two at Duke. I have a theory about that. For all those years, Uncheat ruled the roost in N.C., then along came upstart Duke who has surpassed them in every category: undergraduate rating, hospital, med school, law school, etc The only thing they had to crow about was basketball, then along came Bubas, Foster, and now Coach K and took that away. They resorted to cheating in order to get that back, and are still behind. They simply can not handle it.

Yes but there's something special about it when you see that person and you just smile and wave and they know. They know they took the low road and they know that smile says a thousand words. Of course some don't get it.....lambaste them, but the ones that do...

BTW, your second paragraph above, spot on.

PackMan97
03-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Not throwing shade here but I suspect Robinson, Sendek, Lowe and Gott may also have had something to do with you not enjoying college sports as much. I for one am hopeful that Keatts rights the ship and leads the Pack back to consistent relevance.

Not really. I became a fan in the lowest days of Robinson.

Much of it has to do with having two little kids at home. The cheaters was just the nail in the coffin.

DangerDevil
03-20-2018, 10:14 AM

Poor babies.

So, an outlier. I hope.

Seriously. A watermelon.

Why a watermelon?

A drive by fruiting, easier with a lime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WMvR7dt6gn8

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 10:16 AM

Fruit don't kill people. People kill people.

With fruit.

trinity92
03-20-2018, 10:17 AM
I’d suggest laying low until a cheat fan says even one word about basketball, then just cut them off immediately— “sorry, your year is over. Only teams still paying basketball this year get to talk any more. Enjoy the Masters!” Then walk away.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Sometimes we go out early, sometimes they go out early. So I don't get vocal about the situation. I shrug my shoulders, say "it happens," and enjoy the quiet satisfaction of knowing that this year it was them instead of us.

Devils Librarian
03-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Not really. I became a fan in the lowest days of Robinson.

Much of it has to do with having two little kids at home. The cheaters was just the nail in the coffin.

My 17th month old daughter has definitely curtailed my sports consumption, but the biggest culprit is the NCAA. In hindsight nothing was more ridiculous than imagining that a governing body was going to unbiasedly prosecute a team that they rely upon to make them millions of dollars each March. I won't make that mistake again.

chrishoke
03-20-2018, 11:01 AM
So I'm not the only one! I do that everywhere I go. I had to read your post my wife who just shook her head and rolled her eyes.

He's a Heels fan that grew up in NC, lived in Cary and worked at SAS at the time. He wasn't just sitting there giving it a golf clap, I remember him up off his feet giving me high fives. A true anomaly and really great guy (who sadly moved out of the country).

He was likely run out of town on a rail or deported.

Furniture
03-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Here in Greensboro NC where I work I have quite a good relationship with two fanatical UNC fans. We generally talk about wins or loses during the season but when UNC and Duke play together there is sort of an unspoken agreement to avoid eachother no matter who wins. Same thing for the NCAA tourney. If Duke is knocked out they will only talk to me if I bring it up.
I haven’t spoken to them this week.

jv001
03-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Here in Greensboro NC where I work I have quite a good relationship with two fanatical UNC fans. We generally talk about wins or loses during the season but when UNC and Duke play together there is sort of an unspoken agreement to avoid eachother no matter who wins. Same thing for the NCAA tourney. If Duke is knocked out they will only talk to me if I bring it up.

Same here. Most of my unc friends don't rub it in when Duke loses and I'm the same in return. Then there are those cheat fans that are not really friends who never miss an opportunity to rub it in when Duke does lose. For those cheat fans, there is always my response, well we don't have to cheat to win like the cheating heels. To my amazement most casual cheat fans know little or nothing about the years of academic fraud and they couldn't tell you the name of the cheat point guard. There's just too many of those kind of fans here in the Piedmont. GoDuke!

wobatus
03-20-2018, 12:24 PM
into a massive blow-out. Total clankfest. Sad way for them to go out but Berry and Pinson had fine careers. I was glad to see Pinson start to finally play like the top rank recruit he was the last 10-15 games or so.

Sitting at my local watching the end, there was a Syracuse couple to my right (congrats; tell Boeheim they are gonna open a Wegmans in Greenboro) and a Virginia couple to my left (sorry folks, Bennett will break through some day). I bought a large bottle of The Bruery Sucre, an Old Ale, Rye Whiskey barrel and shared it with them. 16.3% ABV. Called for heavy drinking.

Well, good luck Devils. Not sure I could take another title, but I'll spin it as reflected glory. Typical. The follow-on title is becoming an ACC specialty. NC State in '83. UNC '93 (I guess Duke in '92 counts). Maryland 2002. Duke 2010. UNC couldn't quite pull it off in 2016 and had to wait a year.

Hey, maybe it's Clemson or Florida State's year! But somehow I doubt it. Just don't let it be Kentucky.

slower
03-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Yep, it's basic psychology. I've stated this publicly many times, and it always shuts them up. Because it's true. Carolina and Dean ruled for so long, that he and the fans couldn't handle it when K put him in the rear-view mirror.

wobatus
03-20-2018, 01:04 PM
I rooted for Duke in 1978 title game. And against UNLV both years. After that I have to admit it got to be too much.

I'm a Mets fan. I rooted for the Yanks in 1996, but then it got to be too much again. I wanted the Red Sox to win in 2004. But you can only take so much of a rival's winning. Some can't take any of a rival's winning. But it isn't much fun if all you are doing is beating, say, The Citadel again and again. That's why I grew up loving the ACC. Tough crowd.

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2018, 01:12 PM

You're too nice. I would have rubbed it in their faces.

UNC losing gives me 75% satisfaction as Duke winning. UNC losing in the 1st round is like Duke winning in the 2nd round.

I like watching UK, Kansas, MSU, UCLA, and Gonzaga/Wichita St/VCU all lose (I'm not on the mid-major bandwagon). But I loooooooooove watching UNC lose.

devildeac
03-20-2018, 01:26 PM
into a massive blow-out. Total clankfest. Sad way for them to go out but Berry and Pinson had fine careers. I was glad to see Pinson start to finally play like the top rank recruit he was the last 10-15 games or so.

Sitting at my local watching the end, there was a Syracuse couple to my right (congrats; tell Boeheim they are gonna open a Wegmans in Greenboro) and a Virginia couple to my left (sorry folks, Bennett will break through some day). I bought a large bottle of The Bruery Sucre, an Old Ale, Rye Whiskey barrel and shared it with them. 16.3% ABV. Called for heavy drinking.

Well, good luck Devils. Not sure I could take another title, but I'll spin it as reflected glory. Typical. The follow-on title is becoming an ACC specialty. NC State in '83. UNC '93 (I guess Duke in '92 counts). Maryland 2002. Duke 2010. UNC couldn't quite pull it off in 2016 and had to wait a year.

Hey, maybe it's Clemson or Florida State's year! But somehow I doubt it. Just don't let it be Kentucky.

Well, at least you had an excellent beverage. Come visit us here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-Beer

No sports discussions allowed;). (Well, not many :o.)

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 01:26 PM
I rooted for Duke in 1978 title game. And against UNLV both years. After that I have to admit it got to be too much.

I'm a Mets fan. I rooted for the Yanks in 1996, but then it got to be too much again. I wanted the Red Sox to win in 2004. But you can only take so much of a rival's winning. Some can't take any of a rival's winning. But it isn't much fun if all you are doing is beating, say, The Citadel again and again. That's why I grew up loving the ACC. Tough crowd.

I grew up a Met's fan and a Ranger's fan in the late '70's and early '80's. I feel your pain.

Damn Yankees, Damn Islanders!

trinity92
03-20-2018, 02:13 PM
For me, my increasing hatred of all things UNC is surely related to the internet-- back in the good old days before there were forums like this one and all the others, you just didn't know exactly what a large number of people were thinking, and that made carolina fans more tolerable. Sure there was the car full of carolina fans I encountered my freshman year driving around and around the west campus traffic circle hootin' and hollerin' after they beat us at Cameron, but in general, I respected carolina and could even root for them from time to time as an ACC representative when playing another conference.

Fast forward to today when you can read more awful thoughts and prejudices in an afternoon on a message board than you could talk to people about duke basketball in a lifetime. Maybe it's my own fault for going there, but I've read one too many reference to Rats, f*ing up my program, Myron Piggie, Flopping, Cursing, fake back problems, Lance Thomas, Mercer, etc. to ever get back to that state of innocence. It's just like certain friends on Facebook-- I liked them much more when I didn't have such ready access to their thoughts.

So now, I relish in their misery. I would never wish injury or harm on them, but honestly, I wouldn't console them much either, because they take too much pleasure in teasing Jay Williams over how his career ended. 9F is much more literal to me now than in my youth. And for the record, I don't find much to admire about Berry, whose smile and clapping after a made three made me consistently ill, or Maye, who I enjoy seeing exposed as the glorified rec league player he is. Pinson doesn't make me cringe but I wish him no luck in his future endeavors. I'm thrilled they're out-- the whole tournament has a fresher smell now.

9F, Go Duke.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2018, 02:24 PM
So now, I relish in their misery. I would never wish injury or harm on them, but honestly, I wouldn't console them much either, because they take too much pleasure in teasing Jay Williams over how his career ended.

Wow. I know some, uh, special Heels fans, but none who spout that sort of crap.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 02:43 PM
For me, my increasing hatred of all things UNC is surely related to the internet-- back in the good old days before there were forums like this one and all the others, you just didn't know exactly what a large number of people were thinking, and that made carolina fans more tolerable. Sure there was the car full of carolina fans I encountered my freshman year driving around and around the west campus traffic circle hootin' and hollerin' after they beat us at Cameron, but in general, I respected carolina and could even root for them from time to time as an ACC representative when playing another conference.

Fast forward to today when you can read more awful thoughts and prejudices in an afternoon on a message board than you could talk to people about duke basketball in a lifetime. Maybe it's my own fault for going there, but I've read one too many reference to Rats, f*ing up my program, Myron Piggie, Flopping, Cursing, fake back problems, Lance Thomas, Mercer, etc. to ever get back to that state of innocence. It's just like certain friends on Facebook-- I liked them much more when I didn't have such ready access to their thoughts.

So now, I relish in their misery. I would never wish injury or harm on them, but honestly, I wouldn't console them much either, because they take too much pleasure in teasing Jay Williams over how his career ended. 9F is much more literal to me now than in my youth. And for the record, I don't find much to admire about Berry, whose smile and clapping after a made three made me consistently ill, or Maye, who I enjoy seeing exposed as the glorified rec league player he is. Pinson doesn't make me cringe but I wish him no luck in his future endeavors. I'm thrilled they're out-- the whole tournament has a fresher smell now.

9F, Go Duke.

I have several friends who are UNC alum and UNC fans. I separate my dislike for the UNC athletic department from the people who choose to follow UNC athletics. So while I am really really really glad that UNC is out, I don't see the point of hating on people because they have different likes than me.

I would note that UNC fans equally can find examples of Duke fans with boorish behavior. I spent four years in Cameron, yelling "eat #$#$, Dean Smith, eat ^$##" as the follow-up to the GTH,C,GTH chant. While the guy was standing less than ten yards away. Who am I to say that another fan base should be condemned because of the actions of a few?

(BTW, Luke Maye made first-team all-ACC this year. While I do not root for him, calling him a "glorified rec league player" seems a bit off to me FWIW).

hudlow
03-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Friends or strangers...I just smile and give'm the ol' "ABC BABEEEE! " and walk on.

One size fits all.

I don't have the time - or the inclination...

rsvman
03-20-2018, 03:16 PM

How are we to defend ourselves against the strawberry assailant? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U90dnUbZMmM :D

devildeac
03-20-2018, 03:52 PM
How are we to defend ourselves against the strawberry assailant? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U90dnUbZMmM :D

Dang, somebody had to bring that up again.

I'd assess an F1 and give the opposing fruit the ball.

wobatus
03-20-2018, 03:54 PM
I grew up a Met's fan and a Ranger's fan in the late '70's and early '80's. I feel your pain.

Damn Yankees, Damn Islanders!

Potvin still sucks.

CDu
03-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Luke Maye made first-team all-ACC this year. While I do not root for him, calling him a "glorified rec league player" seems a bit off to me FWIW.

I agree, and Maye deserves a lot of credit for making himself into a legitimate star this year after being a low-rated recruit and primarily an afterthought in his first two years.

Although it is worth pointing out that Maye averaged 35.7 fg% and 30.4 3pt% over his last 7 games, scoring less than 1 point per shot over that stretch. And he looked about as bad as the stats suggest, at times appearing scared to even dribble the ball. I wonder if teams have started to finally figure him out a bit more.

It will be interesting to see what he does next year without Berry and Pinson. Not saying he won't remain a stud, but it might be asking too much of Woods and White to generate offensive openings for him the way Pinson and Berry did.

He's a grinder though, and will surely rack up the rebounds. I just wonder if - given his lack of height, run/jump athleticism, and ballhandling skills - we have seen the best Maye has to offer already.

El_Diablo
03-20-2018, 04:47 PM
It will be interesting to see what he does next year without Berry and Pinson. Not saying he won't remain a stud, but it might be asking too much of Woods and White to generate offensive openings for him the way Pinson and Berry did.

They'll also have Nassir Little, assuming he is eligible (his AAU coach was jailed for funneling money to recruits, and Little is widely believed to be "Player-12" in the FBI scandal).

PackMan97
03-20-2018, 04:55 PM
They'll also have Nassir Little, assuming he is eligible (his AAU coach was jailed for funneling money to recruits, and Little is widely believed to be "Player-12" in the FBI scandal).

LOL! As if that would stop Carolina.

Speaking of gloriffied rec league players, the one that immediately comes to mind is Marc Lewis for NC State back in the early '90s. He actually started and played 20+ mpg when State was running really low on bodies.

Jay Heaps would be the closest I can think of as far as Duke players, and fits "rec league" player to a T. Great athlete. Very successful in a different sport. Still plays basketball because they love it.

devildeac
03-20-2018, 05:07 PM

"He's not Player-12 unless we say he's Player-12."

"That Player-12 is a typo."

-bubba
-MCB

"Player-12 is not in the FBI's jurisdiction."

-j bilas

So, that's that.

:rolleyes:

oldnavy
03-20-2018, 05:12 PM

-bubba
-MCB

-j bilas

So, that's that.

THIS!!

uNC deserved to be punished severely for their transgressions over the past two decades, but alas they were not.

However, they have forever lost the "high ground" that they loved to claim with the nonsensical "carolina way".

It's not much, but for someone who had to listen to their sanctimonious BS for years and years.... it's something!

Papa John
03-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Potvin still sucks.

Gotta admit, Bossy was a phenomenal goal-scorer though. Career GPG average higher than Gretzky...

devilsince1977
03-20-2018, 05:36 PM

-bubba
-MCB

-j bilas

So, that's that.

"But the AAU coach offered the same cash to all of the UNC students"

devildeac
03-20-2018, 05:42 PM

That works, too. :rolleyes:

kmspeaks
03-20-2018, 05:58 PM
I have several friends who are UNC alum and UNC fans. I separate my dislike for the UNC athletic department from the people who choose to follow UNC athletics. So while I am really really really glad that UNC is out, I don't see the point of hating on people because they have different likes than me.

I have a hard time respecting people who continue to support a program that does the things we known uNC has done. If roles were reversed you wouldn't see me on DBR anymore because I would no longer be a Duke basketball fan. I wouldn't be talking trash to fans because I wouldn't know or care if Duke won or lost. Maybe it's a little different if you're an alum and are trying to make sure things at your school are fixed, but none of the Carolina fans I know have ever stepped foot on campus. If you cheer for cheaters I don't see any reason to be nice to you when those cheaters get beat.

TruBlu
03-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Actually, the AAU coach doesn’t have to offer the cash. The “regular” students must merely find out by word of mouth that the cash could be available. That’s how the paper classes worked.

COYS
03-20-2018, 07:22 PM
I have a hard time respecting people who continue to support a program that does the things we known uNC has done. If roles were reversed you wouldn't see me on DBR anymore because I would no longer be a Duke basketball fan. I wouldn't be talking trash to fans because I wouldn't know or care if Duke won or lost. Maybe it's a little different if you're an alum and are trying to make sure things at your school are fixed, but none of the Carolina fans I know have ever stepped foot on campus. If you cheer for cheaters I don't see any reason to be nice to you when those cheaters get beat.

To be fair, I also think fans who have never set foot on campus are also the least aware and certainly the least concerned about the scandal. I am friends with a number of UNC fans who are not alumni but love the basketball team because of where they grew up. They are smart, accomplished people who have basically no understanding of what the scandal was even about. It was hardly on their radar. And, unless they found their way to PackPride or DBR, they were extremely unlikely to get information that would make them think the scandal was anything particularly noteworthy. It’s not like ESPN broke it down in detail. There are many diehard fans who do not frequent message boards (heck, if IC were Duke’s message board, I wouldnt be reading message boards, either).

One would need to actually put in significant work to uncover what really went on because the most readily available media outlets (ESPN, CBS) either barely mentioned it or dismissed it, entirely. Pack fans and Duke fans have a lot more incentive to dive into the interwebs to uncover UNC’s misdeeds than a UNC fan, especially one that didn’t go to the school. I don’t even mention the scandal to my UNC-fan friends because they don’t care and would think I’m just being annoying and sanctimonious. Honestly, I don’t blame them. If the scandal is not on their radar, it comes across as particularly annoying to have someone try to explain why something they’ve never even heard about is the reason they should be morally obligated not to be a fan of the ugly shade of blue.

chrishoke
03-21-2018, 11:10 AM
I live in Raleigh. My wife and I have 5 degrees from UNC between us. We know hundreds and hundreds of heel fans that are graduates and not a single one has let the scandal affect their fandom in the least. Not a single one. "Love my Heels." It sickens my stomach to even type this. Many of these folks I know are graduates and faculty.

killerleft
03-21-2018, 12:39 PM
I live in Raleigh. My wife and I have 5 degrees from UNC between us. We know hundreds and hundreds of heel fans that are graduates and not a single one has let the scandal affect their fandom in the least. Not a single one. "Love my Heels." It sickens my stomach to even type this. Many of these folks I know are graduates and faculty.

They're vital cogs in the Cheater Machinery. When the ceiling is the roof, ignorance is strength, and ol' Roy's season is more important than Haitian lives, even Rashad McCants could wind up being UNC Chancellor someday.

To me, they're all like that petulant little Ram-sheep with the oh-so-perturbed look on his face that passes for a logo. Ooooh, he's mad. Just not at the right people. And for Heaven's Sake, little goat, put on some britches!

UrinalCake
03-21-2018, 02:13 PM
It's snowing in Chapel Hill today... they have all gone to where they belong!

wobatus
03-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Gotta admit, Bossy was a phenomenal goal-scorer though. Career GPG average higher than Gretzky...

Yeah, I was just joking about Potvin. That's the chant. Bossy was a great player.