PDA

View Full Version : NCAAT per conference performance

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Let's use this thread to talk about overall conference performance. I only got the idea for this due to an espn article mentioning that the entire PAC-#sDontMatter is out of the NCAAT!!! They finished 0-3, and their highest seeded entrant, #4 Arizona got bounced by Bobby Hurley's former team, Buffalo.

ACC- is 2-3 so far. SYR won their play-in game, and Duke hammered Iona. Otherwise, a very disappointing showing from our other ACC brethren, particularly Miami and VaTech who both lost by just 2 pts. That hurt my brackets a lot.

SEC- is really showing with a 4-0 record so far. That also hurts my brackets a lot, as i pegged the SEC as a low-performer due to my irrational loathing of the SEC.

The rest of the conferences are too much for me to collate right now, so have at it DBR!!!

PackMan97
03-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Let's use this thread to talk about overall conference performance. I only got the idea for this due to an espn article mentioning that the entire PAC-#sDontMatter is out of the NCAAT!!! They finished 0-3, and their highest seeded entrant, #4 Arizona got bounced by Bobby Hurley's former team, Buffalo.

ACC- is 2-3 so far. SYR won their play-in game, and Duke hammered Iona. Otherwise, a very disappointing showing from our other ACC brethren, particularly Miami and VaTech who both lost by just 2 pts. That hurt my brackets a lot.

SEC- is really showing with a 4-0 record so far. That also hurts my brackets a lot, as i pegged the SEC as a low-performer due to my irrational loathing of the SEC.

The rest of the conferences are too much for me to collate right now, so have at it DBR!!!

It's one thing when your conference doesn't have a team make it to the second weekend, another thing when they don't have a team make it to the second DAY!

BD80
03-16-2018, 11:35 AM

What does Trippin' Balls Bill Walton say ad nauseam? The Conference of Champions?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 12:58 PM

I guess ESPN has pulled down their feature about how the SEC was looking at an early exit.....

pfrduke
03-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Ok, I'll bite:

Power Conferences:
ACC: 2-3
Big 12: 2-1
Big East: 2-0
Big Ten: 2-0
Pac-12: 0-3
SEC: 4-0

Other Conferences:
A-10: 2-2
AAC: 1-0
Big Sky: 0-1
Big South: 1-1
Horizon: 0-1
Ivy: 0-1
MAAC: 0-1
MAC: 1-0
MEAC: 0-1
MVC: 1-0
MWC: 0-1
NEC: 0-1
Southern: 0-1
Southland: 0-1
Summit: 0-1
SWAC: 1-0
WCC: 1-0

Acymetric
03-16-2018, 02:13 PM

Yeah, I had both Miami and VT making it to the Sweet 16 (you heard me)...and so far those are my only two Sweet 16 picks to go down. I was oh-so-close on Davidson over Kentucky, but at least Buffalo over AZ panned out.

Speaking of upsets, can anyone explain why I keep seeing references to an "upset" with regards to Rhode Island beating Oklahoma? I mean I get that Oklahoma may have been favored, but I have always understood "upset" in the context of the NCAA Tourney to refer almost exclusively to seeding. Maybe it's just me.

ACC definitely not a great showing so far, fortunately everyone is too busy talking about the PAC-12 to focus on it (and we still have time to turn things around if everything goes well today). SEC is doing annoyingly well but hasn't really shown anything other than that they can beat who they should be expected to beat. Not expecting any SEC team to make a deep run.

Speaking of deep runs, my hot take is no Big East teams in the Final Four.

elvis14
03-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Two thoughts: I'm not happy that the ACC has 3 teams out already. Secondly, there is nothing irrational about loathing the SEC

kAzE
03-16-2018, 02:20 PM
What does Trippin' Balls Bill Walton say ad nauseam? The Conference of Champions?

AAC and A10 are consistently better than the Pac-12 these days. When do we start considering the Pac-12 a mid major conference?

godins
03-16-2018, 02:21 PM
Speaking of upsets, can anyone explain why I keep seeing references to an "upset" with regards to Rhode Island beating Oklahoma? I mean I get that Oklahoma may have been favored, but I have always understood "upset" in the context of the NCAA Tourney to refer almost exclusively to seeding. Maybe it's just me.

It's not just you. OKLA wasn't even favored -- the 1.5 point spread was for the URI rams: https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/oklahoma-rhode-island-odds-march-15-2018-965265. All of this talk about an upset is entirely driven by the Trae Young/ESPN hype machine. Vegas and the computers know better -- we should too.

kako
03-16-2018, 02:22 PM
The Pac-12 is just awful right now. Only 3 teams in and none of them win their 1st round game. And 2 out of 3 were the play-in games. Imagine if the AZ FBI rumors turn out to be true, AZ's program would take a huge hit... It's as-if the Pac-12 should be considered a mid-major hoops conference, really. The WCC could be considered a better conference. The Zags are a perennial tourney selection and winner, and if St Mary's just schedules a little better, they could often be in as well. If St. Mary's and Stanford meet in the NIT, that might be of interest... Actually no. The Bay Area has the worst sports fan base I've ever seen. They will ignore it.

My few UCLA friends that care about hoops were embarrassed to play in Dayton - they said that they would have liked to turn it down (wouldn't ever happen, but I get the feeling).

Conference of Champions is the ACC, not the Pac-12.

gocanes0506
03-16-2018, 02:58 PM
[/I]

Its an upset to most people who dont pay attention to basketball *cough/ millennial's /cough* and go off of name only. OU is this big name team with a big name player. It has to be an upset for a team that most people have never heard of, needless to say the state, to beat a big name program like OU. People can't fathom other teams are better than bad power conference teams.

devildeac
03-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Two thoughts: I'm not happy that the ACC has 3 teams out already. Secondly, there is nothing irrational about loathing the SEC

Yea, but two of them won their "super bowls" by beating Duke and storming their courts :rolleyes:.

uh_no
03-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Yea, but two of them won their "super bowls" by beating Duke and storming their courts :rolleyes:.

good for them. Last I checked, there is no wikipedia page for "Teams that beat duke in the regular season" like there is for NCAA champions.

pfrduke
03-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Updated through the first half of Friday:

Power Conferences:
ACC: 3-3
Big 12: 3-2
Big East: 3-1
Big Ten: 3-0
SEC: 5-1

Other Conferences:
AAC: 2-1
A-Sun: 0-1
Big West: 0-1
CUSA: 1-0
MWC: 1-1
OVC: 0-1
Sun Belt: 0-1
SWAC: 1-0

jbay201
03-16-2018, 07:32 PM
as long as we are the only representative in the final four. not sure the obsession about ppl's desire to have good representation every year. we have been more than well represented multiple years in a row especially since the expansion and its obviously to anyone that its the premier college bball conference. i honestly hate all other acc teams (having to play them throughout the year breeds hatred) and am happy when they lose early in the tourney!

duke4ever19
03-16-2018, 07:43 PM
as long as we are the only representative in the final four. not sure the obsession about ppl's desire to have good representation every year. we have been more than well represented multiple years in a row especially since the expansion and its obviously to anyone that its the premier college bball conference. i honestly hate all other acc teams (having to play them throughout the year breeds hatred) and am happy when they lose early in the tourney!

Some feel pride in the ACC's tournament success because they are just fans of the conference and it's history. Some also think it validates the strength of Duke's schedule and the competitiveness of the ACC.

rolm
03-16-2018, 07:47 PM

It matters for multiple reasons. Money for one. More teams advancing through the tournament means more money for all teams in the Conference. League reputation plays a big role in recruitment for Duke -- especially when we go head to head vs teams like Kentucky. Best players want to play against the best competition. If ACC teams begin to perform poorly in the tournament consistently, the perception that it's the best league will change. That hurts Duke in the long run.

kako
03-16-2018, 08:56 PM
Some feel pride in the ACC's tournament success because they are just fans of the conference and it's history. Some also think it validates the strength of Duke's schedule and the competitiveness of the ACC.

It matters for multiple reasons. Money for one. More teams advancing through the tournament means more money for all teams in the Conference. League reputation plays a big role in recruitment for Duke -- especially when we go head to head vs teams like Kentucky. Best players want to play against the best competition. If ACC teams begin to perform poorly in the tournament consistently, the perception that it's the best league will change. That hurts Duke in the long run.

Both of these posters are spot on.

Except if it's Carolina. They can lose in the first round, or even not get in the tourney. Actually, a Duke fantasy would be for Duke to be the #1 seed, wins the tourney, while UNC is one of the last team in, plays in the First Four on Tuesday and loses to a team coached by Duke alumni... Ahhh, excuse me, I need to be alone now. :p

9F

elvis14
03-16-2018, 11:06 PM
Both of these posters are spot on.

Except if it's Carolina. They can lose in the first round, or even not get in the tourney. Actually, a Duke fantasy would be for Duke to be the #1 seed, wins the tourney, while UNC is one of the last team in, plays in the First Four on Tuesday and loses to a team coached by Duke alumni... Ahhh, excuse me, I need to be alone now. :p

9F

First, I hope UNCheat loses every game they ever play in every single sport. I'm bummed they beat Lipscom today. I want Duke to win and the other conference teams to do well. I went to grad school at Clemson and I'd like to see them do well. Plus the stronger our conference is (except UNCheat) the better it is for Duke (better seeding, rankings, tv coverage, chicks, beers, education lottery scratch offs, etc).

pfrduke
03-17-2018, 01:01 AM
Total after the first round:

Power Conferences:
ACC: 6-4
Big 12: 4-3
Big East: 4-2
Big Ten: 4-0
SEC: 6-2

Other Conferences:
America East: 1-0
Colonial: 0-1
Patriot: 0-1
SWAC: 1-1
WAC: 0-1

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 01:15 AM

This intense hatred is new.....and by new, last 25 years or so. Before that, when Maryland, NC State and Dean's Myth were all among the top 5 teams in the country.....ACC fans cheered on the conference. Same back to the 60s and even 50s. It made the conference what it is. Duke isn't Duke without the ACC. Duke and Carolina are not what they are without each other, and without each other being doggoned good most of the time.

If you want Duke to stay Duke, you need the ACC to stay strong, and yes, even the cheats, to stay strong.

juise
03-17-2018, 01:18 AM
T
Total after the first round:

Power Conferences:
ACC: 6-4
Big 12: 4-3
Big East: 4-2
Big Ten: 4-0
SEC: 6-2

Other Conferences:

Thanks for tallying this up. I couldn’t replicate your A-10 calculation and am really hoping this isn’t an omen about the Duke game tomorrow.

pfrduke
03-17-2018, 01:19 AM
Thanks for tallying this up. I couldn’t replicate your A-10 calculatio and am really hoping this isn’t an omen about the Duke game tomorrow.

St. Bonaventure went 1-1; Rhode Island 1-0; Davidson 0-1

juise
03-17-2018, 01:25 AM
St. Bonaventure went 1-1; Rhode Island 1-0; Davidson 0-1

Thanks! Forgot about the play-in.

MarkD83
03-17-2018, 01:28 AM
This intense hatred is new....and by new, last 25 years or so. Before that, when Maryland, NC State and Dean's Myth were all among the top 5 teams in the country....ACC fans cheered on the conference. Same back to the 60s and even 50s. It made the conference what it is. Duke isn't Duke without the ACC. Duke and Carolina are not what they are without each other, and without each other being doggoned good most of the time.

If you want Duke to stay Duke, you need the ACC to stay strong, and yes, even the cheats, to stay strong.

However, it is often hard to identify with a conference with all of the realignment. I stayed up and watched as FSU and Syracuse won to give the ACC a few more wins but can't help but view Syracuse as a Big east team and I forget from which conference the ACC plucked FSU.

brickey
03-17-2018, 01:43 AM
However, it is often hard to identify with a conference with all of the realignment. I stayed up and watched as FSU and Syracuse won to give the ACC a few more wins but can't help but view Syracuse as a Big east team and I forget from which conference the ACC plucked FSU.

Spot on.

And it is often hard to cheer for a team that cheated for 20+ years (while never once dropping its nose from the sky), especially when I have little reason to doubt that the opposing team is made up of real student athletes.

YmoBeThere
03-17-2018, 06:33 AM

Re: FSU
They were independent and joined the ACC 26/27 years ago depending upon sport. In other words hardly new to the conference.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-17-2018, 07:01 AM
ACC is 5-4, not 6-4. Had 9 teams in.

uh_no
03-17-2018, 07:13 AM
ACC is 5-4, not 6-4. Had 9 teams in.

syracuse "won" the first four.

I wouldn't count it, since it's kind of a cheap way to boost one's record...but so it is.

cbarry
03-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Interesting that UVA was the only ACC team to lose yesterday!
And what a great loss it was!!

cbarry
03-17-2018, 08:40 AM
... and if only UNCheat could have lost by 20 also, the day would have been complete!

Hopefully Texas A&M will take care of them tomorrow.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2018, 08:45 AM
I feel bad for UVA, but what an incredible game by UMBC.

I still root for almost all of the ACC teams (except the Heels, and not so much Syracuse). Really like and respect UVA and Bennett.

Having said that, it was inevitable that a sixteen seed would beat a one seed sooner or later. Glad we were not the first to lose that match-up.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Interesting that UVA was the only ACC team to lose yesterday!
And what a great loss it was!!

Meanwhile, the ACC was saved late last night by the football contingent - and a play in game contestant.......

CDu
03-17-2018, 08:56 AM

They left the Metro Conference. Which doesn’t even exist anymore, and hasn’t for decades (it merged into what is now C-USA).

Re: FSU
They were independent and joined the ACC 26/27 years ago depending upon sport. In other words hardly new to the conference.

Yep. It is funny. Nobody thinks of Ga Tech as anything but ACC, but they have only been in the conference 12 years longer than FSU.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 09:03 AM
They left the Metro Conference. Which doesn’t even exist anymore, and hasn’t for decades (it merged into what is now C-USA).

Yep. It is funny. Nobody thinks of Ga Tech as anything but ACC, but they have only been in the conference 12 years longer than FSU.

Yes, FSU was in the Metro, which was a non football conference- included I think South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and I can't remember who else. Then I believe they were totally indy when they joined ACC.

And I think Ga Tech gets that original 8 cred because they were added to replace S Carolina and get the ACC back to the 8 team status. The additions of FSU was part of the new era of super conferences, and yes, something is lost with tradition, but it was a matter of survival.

CDu
03-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Yes, FSU was in the Metro, which was a non football conference- included I think South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and I can't remember who else. Then I believe they were totally indy when they joined ACC.

And I think Ga Tech gets that original 8 cred because they were added to replace S Carolina and get the ACC back to the 8 team status. The additions of FSU was part of the new era of super conferences, and yes, something is lost with tradition, but it was a matter of survival.

FSU went straight from the Metro to the ACC. They were only Indy in football.

My point about Ga Tech is that they are really only slightly more ACC than FSU. They joined 8 years after SC left. FSU has been in the conference for more than a generation (27 years). Ga Tech slightly longer (39 years). Yes, FSU pushed the conference to 9 teams. Seems like a weird reason to consider them not a true member of the conference.

And no, FSU moved to the ACC before the era of super conferences really began. The Big 12 was formed 5 years later, and the ACC didn’t become a super conference for over another decade.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 10:59 AM
FSU went straight from the Metro to the ACC. They were only Indy in football.

My point about Ga Tech is that they are really only slightly more ACC than FSU. They joined 8 years after SC left. FSU has been in the conference for more than a generation (27 years). Ga Tech slightly longer (39 years). Yes, FSU pushed the conference to 9 teams. Seems like a weird reason to consider them not a true member of the conference.

And no, FSU moved to the ACC before the era of super conferences really began. The Big 12 was formed 5 years later, and the ACC didn’t become a super conference for over another decade.

Well I'm not thinking 39 is only slightly more than 27, given it's nearly 50% more....that's half a generation. And I stand by my contention that Ga Tech is far more old school ACC because they were picked to bring it back to the original 8. And I stand by my contention that FSU's move to the ACC was part of the early move to the super conferences, given that it was the first time the ACC considered expanding their geography to the state of Florida. Also, it was right about the time that Penn State joined the Big Ten and that Arkansas joined the SEC...so together, those three shocking moves (at the time) were indeed the seeds of the super conference era - as three major conferences added entire new territories at the same time - and started something that continues to unfold.

rocketeli
03-17-2018, 11:05 AM
How well your conference does is important for your team, regardless of how you may feel about the teams involved. As someone else pointed out, everyone in the conference gets a part of the win shares, but more importantly, how the conference does really impacts how many bids they will get the next year of so. Lately, Duke hasn't been on the bubble, but someday that may change, and the conference's reputation could then be very important.

Just as USC who didn't get a bid due to the PAC-12 tendency to perform dismally in the NCAA tournament.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Well I'm not thinking 39 is only slightly more than 27, given it's nearly 50% more....that's half a generation. And I stand by my contention that Ga Tech is far more old school ACC because they were picked to bring it back to the original 8. And I stand by my contention that FSU's move to the ACC was part of the early move to the super conferences, given that it was the first time the ACC considered expanding their geography to the state of Florida. Also, it was right about the time that Penn State joined the Big Ten and that Arkansas joined the SEC...so together, those three shocking moves (at the time) were indeed the seeds of the super conference era - something that continues to unfold.

Perhaps it is also my contention that eight team conferences, well, make sense. So I am inclined to give GaTech more latitude than the Johnny Come Lately teams of the last thirty years.

CDu
03-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Well I'm not thinking 39 is only slightly more than 27, given it's nearly 50% more...that's half a generation. And I stand by my contention that Ga Tech is far more old school ACC because they were picked to bring it back to the original 8. And I stand by my contention that FSU's move to the ACC was part of the early move to the super conferences, given that it was the first time the ACC considered expanding their geography to the state of Florida. Also, it was right about the time that Penn State joined the Big Ten and that Arkansas joined the SEC...so together, those three shocking moves (at the time) were indeed the seeds of the super conference era - as three major conferences added entire new territories at the same time - and started something that continues to unfold.

Like I said, I think that the 8 vs 9 thing is a weird, arbitrary thing to hold onto. It didn’t impact head-to-head scheduling or the round robin.

The conference has been around for 65 years, and Ga Tech has been a part of it for only just over half of ACC history. Heck, we are only a decade from the conference having been 9 or more teams for longer than they were 8 or fewer. And we are on the verge of having more years with 9+ than with exactly 8. So I think FSU has earned its stripes as a conference member at this point.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 11:20 AM
So, I mostly miss the eight team ACC for nostalgic reasons... I miss the round robin schedule, three day tournaments, and when conferences made sense. I miss when football didn't drive EVERYTHING.

But, having said that, I do root for the ACC in the tournament. It is good for our conference to perform well, and it is good for Duke for the conference to remain the best in the country for basketball. When ACC teams make deep runs, it makes our conference wins look stronger. And like it or not, the committee doesn't ignore conference history when building a bracket. This is why Coach K immediately makes comments when the ACC doesn't get a "fair" representation in the brackets. He gets that conference profile affects Duke's profile and his own profile.

mgtr
03-17-2018, 11:34 AM
I was just thinking about the UVA upset, and I would bet that if we had had a poll about which would be the first #1 seed to lose a game in the tournament, Xavier would have been first and UVA last. Now, why didn't think of that poll a few days ago?

Wander
03-17-2018, 11:43 AM
more importantly, how the conference does really impacts how many bids they will get the next year of so. Lately, Duke hasn't been on the bubble, but someday that may change, and the conference's reputation could then be very important.

Except that's approximately balanced by the fact that Duke would win more games in an easier conference. Yes, a 5 loss Pac-12 team is much worse off than a 5 loss ACC team.... but if Duke had played in the Pac-12, we would have had like 2 conference losses instead of 5 and won the conference tournament.

Add in the fact that conferences are increasingly arbitrary in geographic theme, and, yeah, I'm on the side of not giving a crap about the ACC.

jv001
03-17-2018, 11:43 AM
So, I mostly miss the eight team ACC for nostalgic reasons... I miss the round robin schedule, three day tournaments, and when conferences made sense. I miss when football didn't drive EVERYTHING.

But, having said that, I do root for the ACC in the tournament. It is good for our conference to perform well, and it is good for Duke for the conference to remain the best in the country for basketball. When ACC teams make deep runs, it makes our conference wins look stronger. And like it or not, the committee doesn't ignore conference history when building a bracket. This is why Coach K immediately makes comments when the ACC doesn't get a "fair" representation in the brackets. He gets that conference profile affects Duke's profile and his own profile.

Must spread sporkz. I too root for ACC teams(not named uncheat). Most all of our conference teams run a clean program and play a clean game. Therefore, I root for them during the NCAAT. It helps the other teams when the conference does well(as you said). Too bad fans of other teams don't feel the same way. From what I've read, the uncheat fans were rooting against Virginia last night. That shouldn't surprise me because it's part of the Cheat way. Sorry to get this thread sidetracked. GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Must spread sporkz. I too root for ACC teams(not named uncheat). Most all of our conference teams run a clean program and play a clean game. Therefore, I root for them during the NCAAT. It helps the other teams when the conference does well(as you said). Too bad fans of other teams don't feel the same way. From what I've read, the uncheat fans were rooting against Virginia last night. That shouldn't surprise me because it's part of the Cheat way. Sorry to get this thread sidetracked. GoDuke!

I used to be able to name the starting five for each ACC team without even thinking about it. That was my peak level of conference pride and interest.

jv001
03-17-2018, 11:53 AM
I used to be able to name the starting five for each ACC team without even thinking about it. That was my peak level of conference pride and interest.

Me too and I was proud of it. Matter of fact when I was around 14-15 years old, I could name every player by position of all major league teams. I kept up with batting averages of my Cardinals daily and that was without a calculator or computer. That said, there were just two divisions in baseball back then. Man, I old. :cool: GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Except that's approximately balanced by the fact that Duke would win more games in an easier conference. Yes, a 5 loss Pac-12 team is much worse off than a 5 loss ACC team... but if Duke had played in the Pac-12, we would have had like 2 conference losses instead of 5 and won the conference tournament.

Add in the fact that conferences are increasingly arbitrary in geographic theme, and, yeah, I'm on the side of not giving a crap about the ACC.

Duke is not Duke outside the ACC. Carolina is not Carolina outside the ACC. Duke and Carolina are not Duke and Carolina without each other. Fun fact: currently 5 ACC teams still alive, which is approximately 5 more than the Pac 12 has.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 11:59 AM
Like I said, I think that the 8 vs 9 thing is a weird, arbitrary thing to hold onto. It didn’t impact head-to-head scheduling or the round robin.

The conference has been around for 65 years, and Ga Tech has been a part of it for only just over half of ACC history. Heck, we are only a decade from the conference having been 9 or more teams for longer than they were 8 or fewer. And we are on the verge of having more years with 9+ than with exactly 8. So I think FSU has earned its stripes as a conference member at this point.

I agree FSU has long earned its stripes....but that was not the point in question. The question was why do so many people think of Ga Tech as so much more ACC than Florida State. Whether or not it's right or wrong to feel that way, I think I answered that particular narrow question pretty well.

And 8 or 9 is not weird nor arbitrary. The conferences long history was a nice even 8, a nice three day basketball tournament, which was the glue that held the league together and the event that made the league's mark nationally. 7 was not right, 9 was not right....8 was just right.

Those days are long past, but the days of 8 were in many ways the best days ever.

jv001
03-17-2018, 12:08 PM
I agree FSU has long earned its stripes...but that was not the point in question. The question was why do so many people think of Ga Tech as so much more ACC than Florida State. Whether or not it's right or wrong to feel that way, I think I answered that particular narrow question pretty well.

And 8 or 9 is not weird nor arbitrary. The conferences long history was a nice even 8, a nice three day basketball tournament, which was the glue that held the league together and the event that made the league's mark nationally. 7 was not right, 9 was not right...8 was just right.

Those days are long past, but the days of 8 were in many ways the best days ever.

Could it be because of Bobby Cremens? I think he was the coach at Tech for 19 seasons and it didn't hurt that he was good friends with Coach K. Those teams were known for their Point Guards and for being good perimeter shooters. GoDuke!

CDu
03-17-2018, 12:12 PM
I agree FSU has long earned its stripes...but that was not the point in question. The question was why do so many people think of Ga Tech as so much more ACC than Florida State. Whether or not it's right or wrong to feel that way, I think I answered that particular narrow question pretty well.

And 8 or 9 is not weird nor arbitrary. The conferences long history was a nice even 8, a nice three day basketball tournament, which was the glue that held the league together and the event that made the league's mark nationally. 7 was not right, 9 was not right...8 was just right.

Technically it wasn’t a question. I brought up the point that I think it strange that folks give Ga Tech “original” cred but think of FSU as newbs. And, after hearing your explanation... yep, I still think it is strange.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Me too and I was proud of it. Matter of fact when I was around 14-15 years old, I could name every player by position of all major league teams. I kept up with batting averages of my Cardinals daily and that was without a calculator or computer. That said, there were just two divisions in baseball back then. Man, I old. :cool: GoDuke!

Perhaps we all just had a lot more free time at that age... And no internet.

Green Wave Dukie
03-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Yes, FSU was in the Metro, which was a non football conference- included I think South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Louisville, and I can't remember who else.

Southern Miss, Memphis State (think/ remember Keith Lee in the mid 80s), Cincinnati, and one more I can think of!!!

brevity
03-17-2018, 12:31 PM

Counterpoint: the ACC was better with 9 teams instead of 8 because of the greatest tradition in conference history: the Les Robinson Invitational (https://virginia.sportswar.com/mid/9993602/board/basketball/). Also, FSU was kind of a ringer in football, but they finished 2nd in men's basketball the first two seasons, and gave us the phrase "cheese and wine crowd".

I think Georgia Tech is considered ACC canon because it joined before the ESPN/Generation X rise in college basketball's popularity, and has been to the Final Four twice. Florida State has not been to the Final Four as an ACC member.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Technically it wasn’t a question. I brought up the point that I think it strange that folks give Ga Tech “original” cred but think of FSU as newbs. And, after hearing your explanation... yep, I still think it is strange.

Let me guess, you didn't grow up around here in 60s, 70s or even early 80s, did you?

DU82
03-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Georgia Tech is an old rival, going back to the original Southern Conference. We've played them in football every year continuously since 1931. GT is also an older university, which fits better with the other original members of the ACC. FSU is a newer school, never a rival of any school, and was a football first school in the '90s when they joined.

Regarding 8 vs. 9, 9 is better for football scheduling, gives each team 4 home and 4 away games. And the 16 game BB round robin works, too.

CDu
03-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Let me guess, you didn't grow up around here in 60s, 70s or even early 80s, did you?

Sure didn’t. Which is probably why I can recognize it as weird.

BD80
03-17-2018, 01:08 PM
syracuse "won" the first four.

I wouldn't count it, since it's kind of a cheap way to boost one's record...but so it is.

Would a loss have counted?

ASU was a tougher opponent than 20 or so teams that the 1-5 seeds played Thursday and Friday. Do those wins count?

CDu
03-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Georgia Tech is an old rival, going back to the original Southern Conference. We've played them in football every year continuously since 1931. GT is also an older university, which fits better with the other original members of the ACC. FSU is a newer school, never a rival of any school, and was a football first school in the '90s when they joined.

Regarding 8 vs. 9, 9 is better for football scheduling, gives each team 4 home and 4 away games. And the 16 game BB round robin works, too.

Actually, FSU is older than Ga Tech. FSU dates back to the 1850s, whereas Tech was 1880s.

FSU is a newer school athletically speaking.

jv001
03-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Actually, FSU is older than Ga Tech. FSU dates back to the 1850s, whereas Tech was 1880s.

devildeac and I were just born in 1880 so we don't remember too much about either team back then, :cool: GoDuke!

DU82
03-17-2018, 01:23 PM

Thank you for the correction on the academic side. I thought the school started in the '40s, but I guess that was when they started playing college sports (or D1 level, whatever it was called then.)

devildeac
03-17-2018, 01:24 PM
devildeac and I were just born in 1880 so we don't remember too much about either team back then, :cool: GoDuke!

Link?

Or birth certificate?

I'm old, but not quite that old :o:p.

budwom
03-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Many years I used to pull for ACC schools until I realized that most of their fans want Duke to crash and burn every time out, so my conference allegiance is not particularly robust.

BD80
03-17-2018, 01:31 PM

Link?

Or birth certificate?

Don't even remember your own birthday?

Well, I remember it well. I was talking to some friends about the new-fangled Davy's arc lamp and saying that electric lights were a fad that would fade out quickly.

devildeac
03-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Many years I used to pull for ACC schools until I realized that most of their fans want Duke to crash and burn every time out, so my conference allegiance is not particularly robust.

^^^^

When you hear "Duke gets all the calls" and hear F**K Duke/players regularly and see t-shirts like that, there's not a Whole Lotta Love (apologies to Led Zeppelin) for garbage/hatred like that being spewed.

I root for Duke. I won't root for the other acc schools to lose but I shed no tears when they're gone.

devildeac
03-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Don't even remember your own birthday?

Well, I remember it well. I was talking to some friends about the new-fangled Davy's arc lamp and saying that electric lights were a fad that would fade out quickly.

I wrote it down somewhere but can't recall where I put it. Kinda like a password. :o

jv001
03-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Link?

Or birth certificate?

Don't you remember, we went to different schools together, Penn State and State Penn, :cool: GoDuke!

devildeac
03-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Don't you remember, we went to different schools together, Penn State and State Penn, :cool: GoDuke!

Now I've got it.

ns7
03-17-2018, 02:05 PM

I thought 2010 was a pretty great year

YmoBeThere
03-17-2018, 10:56 PM
Can someone update the conference performances?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 11:14 PM
I thought 2010 was a pretty great year

What's your point? In 2010, The ACC was the ACC......

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Could it be because of Bobby Cremens? I think he was the coach at Tech for 19 seasons and it didn't hurt that he was good friends with Coach K. Those teams were known for their Point Guards and for being good perimeter shooters. GoDuke!

Yes, now that you mention it I think Bobby Cremin's personality, his long tenure there, and his relationship with K was part of that dynamic.....

pfrduke
03-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Can someone update the conference performances?

Will do it when Michigan-Houston wraps.

royalblue
03-17-2018, 11:30 PM
What's your point? In 2010, The ACC was the ACC...

His point was likely that Duke won the title and Uncch was NIT runner up
The ACC only had 1 team advance past the round of 32 (Duke)
Great year
I drove out of my way coming back from Indy just to have a picture made drinking a beer in front of the Dayton sign because Dayton beat Uncch in the NIT finals.

ns7
03-17-2018, 11:35 PM
His point was likely that Duke won the title and Uncch was NIT runner up
The ACC only had 1 team advance past the round of 32 (Duke)
Great year
I drove out of my way coming back from Indy just to have a picture made drinking a beer in front of the Dayton sign because Dayton beat Uncch in the NIT finals.

Exactly. Duke doesn't need UNC to be great. 2010 is an example of that.

pfrduke
03-18-2018, 12:19 AM
Total after Saturday:

Power Conferences:
ACC: 7-4
Big 12: 6-3
Big East: 5-3
Big Ten: 5-1
SEC: 7-5

Other Conferences:
A-10: 2-3
AAC: 2-2
MAC: 1-1
MVC: 2-0
WCC: 2-0

El_Diablo
03-18-2018, 12:39 AM
What's your point? In 2010, The ACC was the ACC...

The point is that we do not in any way need uNC to be strong.

throatybeard
03-18-2018, 04:26 AM
I think Georgia Tech still (!) was with their SEC cohort longer (1921-1964), contiguously in the Southern Conference and then the schools that peeled off into the SEC. Give it another few years and they'll have been in the ACC longer than they were with Georgia an nem. But not quite yet.

gocanes0506
03-18-2018, 07:40 AM

This and my allegiance to ACC withered when the conference sold its souls for football.
Louisville, Cuse, Miami, Pitt, ND, and Boston College arent ACC teams.

Now that Greenberg is gone, I like VT as a whole.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 07:56 AM
The point is that we do not in any way need uNC to be strong.

You don't think it does Duke any good to be part of the "greatest rivalry in sports?" Seriously?

And you think that rivalry could be great if it were dominated by one team?

I'm secure enough in my dislike of the Cheats to understand reality here.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 08:00 AM
Exactly. Duke doesn't need UNC to be great. 2010 is an example of that.

You can't take one year out of a 40 year run and ignore the other 39. Duke in 2010 is not the same team or program without the 30 years that came before it.
You think Smith or Singler or Sheyer or any of those guys come to Duke if Duke isn't the Duke that we know? Probably not.

I gotta tell ya, FWIW, I'm with K on this one...these programs help make each other great. The Duke-Carolina rivalry is a huge part of both programs. Kansas doesn't have anything like this. Kentucky doesn't have anything like this - the UL - UK rivalry is nowhere near this big in national terms. Villanova has nothing like this. UCLA USC have never had this in basketball. It doesn't mean you gotta like em...but it is what it is.

El_Diablo
03-18-2018, 08:59 AM
You don't think it does Duke any good to be part of the "greatest rivalry in sports?" Seriously?

And you think that rivalry could be great if it were dominated by one team?

I'm secure enough in my dislike of the Cheats to understand reality here.

Someone else was pointing out that 2010 was great for us, with the subtext that it was great regardless of how bad unc was at that point in time or how the rest of the ACC performed in that tournament. Your response (“What's your point? In 2010, The ACC was the ACC...”) seemed to miss that subtext, so I elaborated. Although in hindsight I guess I can see that maybe you understood that but were just being argumentative.

If we end up cutting down the nets at the end, I will not lose any sleep over the ACC’s overall tournament record if it turns out to be subpar. Nor would I be the least bit upset if unc loses in the second round and thus makes the conference look marginally worse.

For the record, I do feel that the rivalry helps Duke a lot. But that doesn’t mean I have to pull for them in the NCAA tournament or enjoy a down season when it happens. They won 11 games in the past two tournaments; a second round exit at this point would not weaken the rivalry much, if at all, and would be far outweighed by seeing them pack it up for good. Others may feel differently, but I will be pulling hard for Texas A&M today.

cbarry
03-18-2018, 09:22 AM
EXACTLY!! Can I get an “Amen”?!! Go A&M (and in general, ABC).
9F, 9F, 9F

Someone else was pointing out that 2010 was great for us, with the subtext that it was great regardless of how bad unc was at that point in time or how the rest of the ACC performed in that tournament. Your response (“What's your point? In 2010, The ACC was the ACC...”) seemed to miss that subtext, so I elaborated. Although in hindsight I guess I can see that maybe you understood that but were just being argumentative.

If we end up cutting down the nets at the end, I will not lose any sleep over the ACC’s overall tournament record if it turns out to be subpar. Nor would I be the least bit upset if unc loses in the second round and thus makes the conference look marginally worse.

For the record, I do feel that the rivalry helps Duke a lot. But that doesn’t mean I have to pull for them in the NCAA tournament or enjoy a down season when it happens. They won 11 games in the past two tournaments; a second round exit at this point would not weaken the rivalry much, if at all, and would be far outweighed by seeing them pack it up for good. Others may feel differently, but I will be pulling hard for Texas A&M today.

arnie
03-18-2018, 11:02 AM
EXACTLY!! Can I get an “Amen”?!! Go A&M (and in general, ABC).
9F, 9F, 9F
Amen, Amen, Amen. I would rather see UNCheat move to another conference than consider the rivalry as essential to our success. Many of their fans are illiterate monsters that believe Grayson’s tribulations far exceed the way the Heels screwed over incoming non-student athletes by not offering them an education.

I will always be disappointed that Duke University didn’t take a stand on our neighbor’s 20+ years of rampant cheating of athletes.

DU82
03-18-2018, 07:33 PM
So the two (or three depending on which Tiger group wins) ACC teams remaining are in the same region.

(Edit: Forgot FSU was still there. Or is an ACC team - different thread)

brevity
03-18-2018, 07:35 PM
So the two (or three depending on which Tiger group wins) ACC teams remaining are in the same region.

Somewhere a Seminole Indian sheds a tear.

(Edit: I see you caught it later, but DBR snark moves fast.)

juise
03-18-2018, 11:14 PM
I’m counting the UNR win as an ACC win since the Martin brothers did all the work and the real NC State team didn’t show up.

PackMan97
03-18-2018, 11:17 PM
The Noles ensure the ACC has a perfect day.

Crazy that three of four teams left are in the same bracket.

DukieInBrasil
03-18-2018, 11:20 PM
ACC went 3-1 today, with all 3 underdogs winning and the #2 seeded *uNCheaters got upset!!! Just about perfect!!!!
FSU won the game in clutch time at the FT line, Clemson won the game about 45 seconds after the tip, and SYR got MSU to choke the game away down the stretch.

gocanes0506
03-18-2018, 11:21 PM
Banking on WVU wins, the following is the list of conferences with teams remaining
ACC 4
Big 12 4
Big 10 2
SEC 2
Big East 1
WCC 1
MVC 1
MWC 1

A-Tex Devil
03-18-2018, 11:57 PM
Today I rooted for the Aggies. Whole heartedly. Worrying about how a conference does is for those whose teams lost or didn't make the tourney.

pfrduke
03-18-2018, 11:59 PM
Total after Sunday:

Power Conferences:
ACC: 10-5
Big 12: 8-3
Big East: 5-5
Big Ten: 6-2
SEC: 8-6

Other Conferences:
AAC: 2-3
America East: 1-1
CUSA: 1-1
MVC: 2-0
MWC: 2-1
WCC: 2-0

InSpades
03-19-2018, 12:13 AM
Everyone expected 4 ACC teams in the sweet 16... right? UVA, Duke, UNC and Miami...

cptnflash
03-19-2018, 12:15 AM
Awesome that despite flameouts from 2 of the best 3 teams in the conference, the ACC still manages to have a quarter of the sweet 16. Let’s keep it rolling (everyone except Syracuse)!

Bluedog
03-19-2018, 12:17 AM
Awesome that despite flameouts from 2 of the best 3 teams in the conference, the ACC still manages to have a quarter of the sweet 16. Let’s keep it rolling (everyone except Syracuse)!

Carolina finished 6th in the ACC.;) (yes, I realize that was just their seed in the ACC tourney and not really their placement, but I just like seeing it).

brevity
03-19-2018, 12:20 AM
Amending pfrduke's conference list to break it down round by round, starting at 64.

Thursday/Friday (Winners advancing to Round of 32)

ACC (9): 5-4 (Duke, UNC, Clemson, FSU, Syracuse)
SEC (8): 6-2 (Tennessee, Auburn, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Florida, Alabama)
Big 12 (7): 4-3 (Kansas, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Kansas State)
Big East (6): 4-2 (Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Butler)
Big Ten (4): 4-0 (Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State)
AAC (3): 2-1 (Cincinnati, Houston)
A-10 (3): 1-2 (Rhode Island)
MWC (2): 1-1 (Nevada)
America East: 1-0 (UMBC)
Big South: 0-1
CUSA: 1-0 (Marshall)
MAC: 1-0 (Buffalo)
MVC: 1-0 (Loyola-Chicago)
Pac-12: 0-1
SWAC: 0-1
WCC: 1-0 (Gonzaga)

Saturday/Sunday (Winners advancing to Sweet 16)

SEC (6): 2-4 (Kentucky, Texas A&M)
ACC (5): 4-1 (Duke, Clemson, FSU, Syracuse)
Big 12 (4): 4-0 (Kansas, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Kansas State)
Big East (4): 1-3 (Villanova)
Big Ten (4): 2-2 (Purdue, Michigan)
AAC (2): 0-2
A-10: 0-1
MWC: 1-0 (Nevada)
America East: 0-1
CUSA: 0-1
MAC: 0-1

TexHawk
03-19-2018, 10:29 AM
So, since the 4th best Big12 team (without their best player), beat the team that blew out the best ACC team by 20 points, are you all going to **finally** agree with me that the Big12 is better than the ACC?

(This ^^ is a joke.)

Back on topic, I have posted this before, but the relationship Duke has with UNC is absolutely crazy to me. I can't wrap my mind around it. KU's biggest rival (Missouri) is a perpetual laughing stock that barely makes the tournament every few years. We have been on the short end of several early upsets, but we can at least take solace in knowing our rival isn't going anywhere either. Last year would have driven me to the insane asylum if I were you guys, falling early then watching your rival win it all.

You guys have 5 championships to their 4* since the early 90s. Titles are great, but I would have to think long and hard if I was offered 5 championships in the next 25 years, if it meant Missouri won 4.

* A few of those shouldn't count, obviously.

uh_no
03-19-2018, 10:49 AM
So, since the 4th best Big12 team (without their best player), beat the team that blew out the best ACC team by 20 points, are you all going to **finally** agree with me that the Big12 is better than the ACC?

(This ^^ is a joke.)

Back on topic, I have posted this before, but the relationship Duke has with UNC is absolutely crazy to me. I can't wrap my mind around it. KU's biggest rival (Missouri) is a perpetual laughing stock that barely makes the tournament every few years. We have been on the short end of several early upsets, but we can at least take solace in knowing our rival isn't going anywhere either. Last year would have driven me to the insane asylum if I were you guys, falling early then watching your rival win it all.

You guys have 5 championships to their 4* since the early 90s. Titles are great, but I would have to think long and hard if I was offered 5 championships in the next 25 years, if it meant Missouri won 4.

* A few of those shouldn't count, obviously.

thems fightin' words! :D

Acymetric
03-19-2018, 11:37 AM
I was just thinking about the UVA upset, and I would bet that if we had had a poll about which would be the first #1 seed to lose a game in the tournament, Xavier would have been first and UVA last. Now, why didn't think of that poll a few days ago?

Actually, I probably would have had Villanova as the least likely, with UVA second.

JasonEvans
03-23-2018, 12:45 AM
ACC and Big 12 in a real battle to see which is the top conference of the tourney. C’mon Clemson... help us out!

pfrduke
03-23-2018, 01:24 AM
Halfway through the Sweet 16:

Power Conferences:
ACC: 11-5
Big 12: 9-3
Big East: 5-5
Big Ten: 7-2
SEC: 8-8

Other Conferences:
AAC: 2-3
America East: 1-1
CUSA: 1-1
MVC: 3-0
MWC: 2-2
WCC: 2-1

gam7
03-23-2018, 01:34 AM
ACC and Big 12 in a real battle to see which is the top conference of the tourney. C’mon Clemson... help us out!

Ahem, Missouri Valley Conference...

cato
03-23-2018, 01:43 AM

Infinitely better than the Pac12

dudog84
03-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Yeah, and the Big10 at 7-2 wants a word also. I guess it depends on whether you value wins or win % more. We'll know more after tonight, but the big prizes await.

jv001
03-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Yeah, and the Big10 at 7-2 wants a word also. I guess it depends on whether you value wins or win % more. We'll know more after tonight, but the big prizes await.

No matter what, the ACC will have 2 teams in the Elite 8. I just hope Duke is one of the two or three. GoDuke!

curtis325
03-23-2018, 10:08 AM

The ACC will get a win and a loss from the Duke-Syracuse matchup. For puposes of conference comparison, maybe a game between two teams in the same conference should count as a win but NOT a loss.

uh_no
03-23-2018, 10:19 AM
The ACC will get a win and a loss from the Duke-Syracuse matchup. For puposes of conference comparison, maybe a game between two teams in the same conference should count as a win but NOT a loss.

i'm not sure how you could justify that....it should probably just not count at all.

gocanes0506
03-23-2018, 10:36 AM
We have

4 Big 12
4 ACC
1 MVC
2 Big 10
1 Big East

left in the terrific 12

I expect it to be after tonight

3 Big 12 (TT, Kansas, K state)
2 ACC (FSU & Duke)
1 Big 10 (UM)
1 Big East (Nova)
1 MVC (LUC)

But both number ones are vulnerable and could be:
3 Big 12 (TT, WVU, K state)
3 ACC (Clemson, FSU, & Duke)
1 Big 10 (UM)
1 MVC (LUC)

curtis325
03-23-2018, 10:39 AM
i'm not sure how you could justify that...it should probably just not count at all.

I did say maybe. The only justification I can think of is that a conference team did advance to the next round and another conference team was denied a chance to advance past a team from a different conference. YMMV.

uh_no
03-23-2018, 10:42 AM
I did say maybe. The only justification I can think of is that a conference team did advance to the next round and another conference team was denied a chance to advance past a team from a different conference. YMMV.

right, but on the converse, a conference team was denied the chance to lose as well. in a fantasy world, should the pac10 get a free win if two of their teams happened to play in the first round? Of course not, by the same logic in which you don't want the ACC to have to count a loss.

Either they both have to count, or neither does.

curtis325
03-23-2018, 10:49 AM
right, but on the converse, a conference team was denied the chance to lose as well. in a fantasy world, should the pac10 get a free win if two of their teams happened to play in the first round? Of course not, by the same logic in which you don't want the ACC to have to count a loss.

Either they both have to count, or neither does.

Does the committee even schedule games between two conference teams in the first round?

FWIW, I would be OK with a free win for the conference, so perhaps we should agree to disagree.

BTW, I love your posts and the fact that you nearly always live up to your username.:)

uh_no
03-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Does the committee even schedule games between two conference teams in the first round?

FWIW, I would be OK with a free win for the conference, so perhaps we should agree to disagree.

BTW, I love your posts and the fact that you nearly always live up to your username.:)

nope! only in my fantasy hypothetical.

El_Diablo
03-23-2018, 11:12 AM
The Duke-Syracuse result is one win and one loss. Who cares if the teams are in the same conference? If teams keep winning then such outcomes are inevitable, and it works itself in the end when the numbers are aggregated.

The ACC, Big Integer, and Big Other Integer all have had good showings thus far. The MVC has too in terms of percentages, but it's just one team, so it doesn't really say much about the conference as a whole.

brevity
03-24-2018, 12:46 AM
Amending pfrduke's conference list to break it down round by round, starting at 64.

2nd Thursday/Friday (Winners advancing to Elite 8)

ACC (4): 2-2 (Duke, FSU)
Big 12 (4): 3-1 (Kansas, Texas Tech, Kansas State)
Big Ten (2): 1-1 (Michigan)
SEC (2): 0-2
Big East: 1-0 (Villanova)

brevity
03-25-2018, 10:51 PM

2nd Saturday/Sunday (Winners advancing to Final Four)

Big 12 (3): 1-2 (Kansas)
ACC (2): 0-2
Big Ten: 1-0 (Michigan)

brevity
04-02-2018, 11:48 PM

2nd Saturday/Sunday (Winners advancing to Final Four)

Big 12 (3): 1-2 (Kansas)
ACC (2): 0-2
Big Ten: 1-0 (Michigan)

Final Four Saturday/Championship Monday

Big 12: 0-1
Big East: 2-0 (Villanova)
Big Ten: 1-1
MVC: 0-1

Over the weekend I noticed that 8 of the 9 ACC teams were either one or two degrees of separation from a Final Four team:

Duke lost to KANSAS.
Florida State lost to MICHIGAN.
Clemson lost to KANSAS.
Miami lost to LOYOLA.

Syracuse lost to Duke, who lost to KANSAS.
North Carolina lost to Texas A&M, who lost to MICHIGAN.
Virginia Tech lost to Alabama, who lost to VILLANOVA.
North Carolina State lost to Seton Hall, who lost to KANSAS.

Interestingly, the ninth team is 1-seed Virginia, who lost to UMBC, who lost to Kansas State, who lost to LOYOLA.

asbcheeks
04-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Congrats to Arizona on being the team that lost to the team (Buffalo)
that lost to the team (Kentucky)
that lost to the team (KState)
that lost to the team (Loyola-Chi)
that lost to the team (Michigan)
that lost to the Champ.

Another feather in the P12's cap.

rolm
04-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Starting from 2011 (this decade) the Big East has won 5 titles (4 if you exclude Louisville's vacated title). ACC has 2 and SEC 1. I don't think anyone is going to catch the Big East over the next two years. If Nova wins another title then it would be the best decade by any team since the tournament went to 64 teams. Duke came the closest in 1999 to winning 3 in a decade.