PDA

View Full Version : Wendell Carter Achilles Vigil

proelitedota
03-16-2018, 12:30 AM
http://abc11.com/sports/dukes-wendell-carter-jr-says-no-risk-of-further-injuring-achilles/3221413/

Doctor says there is no risk of further injury. Let's hope that the pain comes with big gains for him.

godins
03-16-2018, 12:33 AM
Does this really need a vigil if the docs say there's no risk of re-injury? It seems that Wendell clarified all of the potential questions we have about the injury. I'll note he's looked good but not world-beating out there in the last few games -- he's missed a few bunnies inside. I wonder if he's lacking some lift (didn't seem to on that alley-oop in the 1H).

duke4ever19
03-16-2018, 12:43 AM
This has been discussed elsewhere. No need for a separate thread for this, especially given that it's not keeping him out of games.

RaiderDevil
03-16-2018, 12:46 AM
I can speak from experience on this one. I had what sounds like a similar situation with my Achilles in my late 20s. His description of it being fine when the adrenalin gets going is dead on. During games I hardly noticed it, but getting out of bed the next morning it hurt like heck and took a long time to loosen up. Don't be shocked if we hear he's in a boot, as that immobilization was part of the treatment and did wonders for me.

proelitedota
03-16-2018, 12:49 AM
Don't be shocked if we hear he's in a boot, as that immobilization was part of the treatment and did wonders for me.

It's over.

How long did you spend in that boot?

UrinalCake
03-16-2018, 01:10 AM
Did wearing the boot affect your ability to throw down half court alley-oops or post up against seven footers?

proelitedota
03-16-2018, 02:13 AM
Did wearing the boot affect your ability to throw down half court alley-oops or post up against seven footers?

It doesn't affect my ability to do the above things. :rolleyes:

Sorry I stole your setup.

RaiderDevil
03-16-2018, 10:27 AM
It's over.

Seems like a month or so, but I took it off at night, and could continue to play (it was church league, or rec league, or something, 18 years ago.) Ironically my ability to throw down monster dunks and post 7 footers was virtually unchanged.

FerryFor50
03-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Seems like a month or so, but I took it off at night, and could continue to play (it was church league, or rec league, or something, 18 years ago.) Ironically my ability to throw down monster dunks and post 7 footers was virtually unchanged.

I had a similar issue but actually would wear a boot at night, not during the day.

Spanarkel
03-16-2018, 10:33 AM
I had a similar issue but actually would wear a boot at night, not during the day.

Was that strategy on the advice of a nocturnist?

FerryFor50
03-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Was that strategy on the advice of a nocturnist?

No, just what I read on the interwebz. :-P

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 11:22 AM

You could tie cinder blocks to my feet and my talent in those areas would be unchanged.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2018, 11:36 AM
He didn't miss anytime. He's not forecasted to miss any time. He's not at risk to injury his Achilles further.

Can we create a vigil for Coach K getting old? Cus that's more worrying to me than Wendell's Achilles.

House G
03-16-2018, 11:37 AM
I’m not trying to sidetrack the thread but I thought this might be an opportunity to inform fellow DBR members that taking fluoroquinolone antibiotics (eg Cipro, Levaquin) can increase your risk of tendon rupture, especially the Achilles’ tendon, by perhaps 3-4 fold.
https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/news/20080708/fda-warning-cipro-may-rupture-tendons

AGDukesky
03-16-2018, 12:09 PM
He didn't miss anytime. He's not forecasted to miss any time. He's not at risk to injury his Achilles further.

Can we create a vigil for Coach K getting old? Cus that's more worrying to me than Wendell's Achilles.

I’m going to start a vigil thread for this vigil

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 12:57 PM
I’m going to start a vigil thread for this vigil

or a vigil thread for those who are upset over vigil threads....

Wahoo2000
03-16-2018, 01:52 PM
It's over.

Speaking of "It's over." and "vigil threads" in general, wondering if any board historian knows when these both began. Was it Kyrie's foot for both? Or does one/both terms predate that?

richardjackson199
03-16-2018, 01:55 PM
Speaking of "It's over." and "vigil threads" in general, wondering if any board historian knows when these both began. Was it Kyrie's foot for both? Or does one/both terms predate that?

Could be wrong, but I think "it's over" was from Boozer's broken foot in Cameron loss to Md late in season in 2001

I think Kyrie toe vigil was first vigil, and most painful thread in history of DBR. Which is why hopefully this thread is a vigil for locking this silly thread. Nobody is out indefinitely.

rsvman
03-16-2018, 01:59 PM
It's over was a post made after Boozer injured his foot. Definitely.

The vigil, if I recall correctly, started with Kyrie and his toe injury.

Tripping William
03-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Could be wrong, but I think "it's over" was from Boozer's broken foot in Cameron loss to Md late in season in 2001

I think Kyrie toe vigil was first vigil, and most painful thread in history of DBR. Which is why hopefully this thread is a vigil for locking this silly thread. Nobody is out indefinitely.

Correct both times.

devildeac
03-16-2018, 03:11 PM

The esteemed posters above, physicians and counselor, beat me to this. Well done, folks. Maybe we can get Wahoo2000 to start the same tradition on a UVA board;):rolleyes:.

Wahoo2000
03-16-2018, 04:55 PM
The esteemed posters above, physicians and counselor, beat me to this. Well done, folks. Maybe we can get Wahoo2000 to start the same tradition on a UVA board;):rolleyes:.

Yeah - if they find out it comes from Duke, 0.0% chance it sticks. I get trashed over there occasionally just for participating on this board, and I don't even cheer for Duke. Apparently, that's not enough. You *must* HATE Duke, and I honestly don't really *HATE* any team or program. Not cheaters, not A-holes, not whiners, etc, etc, etc. I mean..... it's a game. Played by kids. Feel like that gets lost waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much by most fans.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Yeah - if they find out it comes from Duke, 0.0% chance it sticks. I get trashed over there occasionally just for participating on this board, and I don't even cheer for Duke. Apparently, that's not enough. You *must* HATE Duke, and I honestly don't really *HATE* any team or program. Not cheaters, not A-holes, not whiners, etc, etc, etc. I mean.... it's a game. Played by kids. Feel like that gets lost waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much by most fans.

....agreed.....and the irony is, the coaches and the players generally get along pretty well.....sometimes very well. (not everyone of course...I don't think Gerald H and Tyler Hans-Flop are very tight...)

brlftz
03-16-2018, 05:02 PM
...agreed...and the irony is, the coaches and the players generally get along pretty well...sometimes very well. (not everyone of course...I don't think Gerald H and Tyler Hans-Flop are very tight...)

ackshualllyeee (https://art19.com/shows/tobacco-road)... :p

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 05:04 PM

Well heck. That's cool.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 05:10 PM

Well heck, thanks for posting. That does make my bigger point however.

And who can forget the 2015 game....Roy and Quinn Cook next to each other in the Dean Smith moment of silence, and then Roy and Quinn cracking each other up on the sidelines during the game!
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35309-MBB-Duke-92-UNC-90-(OT)-Post-Game-Thread/page3

El_Diablo
03-16-2018, 05:20 PM

Only if you title it "Coach K" with absolutely no other details.

Pghdukie
03-16-2018, 06:39 PM

Add in the coach at Northwestern to that conversation