PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v Rhode Island (NCAA 2rd, 2:40 PM/CBS) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

JBDuke
03-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Duke will play Rhode Island on Saturday in Pittsburgh in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Time and TV info to be announced.

Bob Green
03-15-2018, 05:39 PM
We will have to guard the 3 PT line in this game. Rhode Island shot 11-28 (39.3%) in their victory over Oklahoma. For the season, they are 210-600 (35%).

This is another opponent where we will have a significant size advantage. Rhode Island plays a couple of 6'8" forwards and a bunch of guards.

Truth&Justise
03-15-2018, 05:41 PM
Others will have more detailed analysis (saw it posted in the discussion of the region), but this is a veteran Rhode Island team. Most of them played in a ten point loss to Duke last year (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2016-11-20-duke.html) in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off tournament. While that Duke team is pretty much completely different from the one that will take the floor on Saturday, I'd be happy with a similar result.

LET'S GO DUKE!

jv001
03-15-2018, 05:54 PM
We will have to guard the 3 PT line in this game. Rhode Island shot 11-28 (39.3%) in their victory over Oklahoma. For the season, they are 210-600 (35%).

This is another opponent where we will have a significant size advantage. Rhode Island plays a couple of 6'8" forwards and a bunch of guards.

I think it was Miller that commented, " they better grow a lot over night". I really liked his commentary. I'm so glad we didn't have to listen to all those ESPN guys and Elmore. GoDuke!

Chard
03-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Oklahoma turned it over 14 times, shot poorly from 3 and <67% at the line. I've seen a similar stat line before in Duke losses this year. Play like they did today and it should be another 10-pt win.

DukeBlue666s
03-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Duke opens as a 10 point favorite. Sounds about right.

MChambers
03-15-2018, 06:52 PM
I think it was Miller that commented, " they better grow a lot over night". I really liked his commentary. I'm so glad we didn't have to listen to all those ESPN guys and Elmore. GoDuke!

I wasn't expecting to like Miller, but when he and Bonner were joking about the flat tire an Iona player suffered at the foot of Grayson Allen, I wanted to hug them.

SavDukeGrad
03-15-2018, 06:55 PM

I completely agree! I've always liked Dan Bonner, and Reggie Miller was better than I remembered.

Ian
03-15-2018, 06:56 PM
The key will be turnovers and FTs. Rhode Island fouls a lot and we need to make them pay at the line, they also force a lot of turnovers and we need value possessions and be strong with the ball.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2018, 07:02 PM
I wasn't expecting to like Miller, but when he and Bonner were joking about the flat tire an Iona player suffered at the foot of Grayson Allen, I wanted to hug them.

That was my fave Dan Bonner moment ever....not that there've been many.....but that was great perspective, with just the right amount of snark.

But Bonner remains the announcer who can talk his way through a replay of an "and one" situation, and not notice that there are 24 inches of air between the scorer and the supposed fouler.......

Native
03-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Rhode Island is like Iona in the sense that they're also undersized relative to Duke. We're about four inches taller than them on average. However, they are far more balanced than the Gaels with a #62 AdjO and #35 AdjD in KenPom, and rated as the 45th team overall. They're also coached by Bobby Hurley's brother Dan, so there's a distant Duke connection. Rhode Island returns 66% of their minutes from last year's squad, which bowed out of the tournament in the second round to 3rd-seeded Oregon.

They play a very stout defense but are somewhat foul prone. They're generally good at running teams off the line, and teams typically shoot their averages within the arc. The one area where they are outstanding is ball security and turning over the other team: they are fifth in the country in defensive turnover percentage and 33rd in steals. Duval and Grayson will need to be very active at the top of our zone and crowd passing lanes as much as possible. We'll need to do a great job of protecting possessions and not forcing too much.

They are obviously more experienced than us in terms of age, but most of that age is at the SF and PF positions. Senior guard Jared Terrell is their go-to guy, shooting 42% from deep and 83% from the line this year. In spite of that, though, according to KenPom they usually start a freshman at the point and a sophomore at the two. 5-10 PG Daron Russell isn't a big offensive threat, but he takes care of the ball and creates turnovers, as mentioned above. SG Jeff Dowtin is their highest-rated player on offense and he will likely slide over to the point when Russell subs out.

They're a much better rebounding team than Iona, but still average by national standards, where they rank 99th in offensive rebounding percentage. Their starting PF and C are 6-5 and 6-8, respectively, which means that once again Bagley and Carter should have matchup advantages. Duke will once again need to capitalize on their size advantage inside and hit their free throws when given the opportunities to advance.

Should be a great game! Go Devils!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2018, 07:33 PM
Just got an alert on my phone from ESPN that Wendell Carter is playing with injured achilles.....I had not heard that much specificity before.

Bob Green
03-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Just got an alert on my phone from ESPN that Wendell Carter is playing with injured achilles....I had not heard that much specificity before.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22782580/duke-blue-devils-forward-wendell-carter-jr-says-playing-sore-achilles-tendon

Carter said it stems from a sprained ankle he had earlier in the season, and the only thing he can do for treatment is stretching or ice. But doctors said he is in no danger of further injury if he keeps playing on it.

dalmatians98
03-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Just got an alert on my phone from ESPN that Wendell Carter is playing with injured achilles...I had not heard that much specificity before.

Apparently sore, but no danger of further injury. I hope that's the case. More here:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22782580

EDIT: I was busy getting the link and Bob Green beat me to it.

MChambers
03-15-2018, 08:21 PM
Just got an alert on my phone from ESPN that Wendell Carter is playing with injured achilles....I had not heard that much specificity before.

But I highly recommend not getting alerts from ESPN!

kako
03-15-2018, 08:24 PM
So who does Bobby Hurley root for? Odds say he will be at the game.

UrinalCake
03-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Sounds like we'll have a similar defensive strategy as we did vs. Iona - extend the zone out to the 3 pt. line and leave one big under the basket. Sacrifice the foul line jumper in exchange for pressuring the threes and the rim. Rhode Island is not a team to be taken for granted; if we shoot like we did today then it should be a comfortable win but if we turn the ball over a lot then things could get dicey.

OldPhiKap
03-15-2018, 08:44 PM
So who does Bobby Hurley root for? Odds say he will be at the game.

His brother. And I’m okay with that.

If anyone has missed the :60 on Hurley, REALLY worth finding. He and Danny are beyond close.

gocanes0506
03-15-2018, 09:09 PM
We need to speed up the game. RI’s starters were very tired at the end of the game. Our starters played about 5 less minutes. Can we run them?

Also they beat OU, despite shooting 39% overall because OU turned it over 14 times and RI kept it low, OU shot terribly, and Young just forced stuff again.

Duke’s defense should be stout enough to keep them low enough. I didn’t see their PF having the touch to make a 10-12 footer.

Keys:
Duval
Not turning it over
Constantly pounding the ball down to Carter, Bagley, and Bolden

subzero02
03-15-2018, 09:20 PM
I'm surprised we aren't favored by more than 9.5/10...

jv001
03-15-2018, 09:25 PM

That could be because they turn people over and that has been our weakness. Just a guess. GoDuke!

mattman91
03-15-2018, 09:37 PM
Any idea when the time will be announced?

84Duke
03-15-2018, 09:51 PM
The key will be turnovers and FTs. Rhode Island fouls a lot and we need to make them pay at the line, they also force a lot of turnovers and we need value possessions and be strong with the ball.

Rinse and repeat.

uh_no
03-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Any idea when the time will be announced?

later tonight when all the matchups are determined

killerleft
03-15-2018, 09:59 PM
That was my fave Dan Bonner moment ever...not that there've been many...but that was great perspective, with just the right amount of snark.

But Bonner remains the announcer who can talk his way through a replay of an "and one" situation, and not notice that there are 24 inches of air between the scorer and the supposed fouler...

Is this Joe Btfsplk?

DukeBlue666s
03-15-2018, 09:59 PM

Yeah, I stated that earlier in the post but seems about right to me. Off the top of anyone noggin, what’s the biggest spread known for a round of 32 game? I’d imagine they don’t get much over 10.

... just looked to see the other Vegas spreads for Saturday and the next closest one is 6 (Tennessee and Loyola - 3 seed vs 11 seed). Ours is a 2 v 7 which makes me think a 10 point spread is generous.

Pghdukie
03-15-2018, 10:01 PM
I believe tipoff is set for 3pm.

devildeac
03-15-2018, 10:03 PM
Is this Joe Btfsplk?

I'm tempted to report this post as "attempting to avoid the wanker filter."

:rolleyes:

devildeac
03-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Who's going to volunteer to sample and report?

https://www.hopculture.com/best-craft-beer-breweries-in-pittsburgh/

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-Beer/page761

devildeac
03-15-2018, 10:06 PM

And, for -jk:

https://foursquare.com/top-places/pittsburgh/best-places-bourbon

;)

uh_no
03-15-2018, 10:11 PM

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-Beer/page761

fan of voodoo's beers. never been to their taproom, but how bad can it be when they have beers named

guy
budday
fwiend
the quadfather

devildeac
03-15-2018, 10:13 PM
fan of voodoo's beers. never been to their taproom, but how bad can it be when they have beers named

guy
budday
fwiend
the quadfather

I'm really expecting a comparison of eastern vs western PA beers on Saturday evening or Sunday. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Turk!)

uh_no
03-15-2018, 10:18 PM
I'm really expecting a comparison of eastern vs western PA beers on Saturday evening or Sunday. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Turk!)

Oh that's easy. see, eastern is generally a bit lighter, vs the heavier darker variants from the west. And the eastern ones are more vinegar based vs the tomat........wait....wrong thread :D

ns7
03-15-2018, 10:29 PM

That's a decent margin. Contrast to Kansas who is favored by 4.5 against Seton Hall.

Reilly
03-15-2018, 10:45 PM

I've found over the years that the SRS is a very good/close proxy for what the line is/will be ... we're about 12.5 better in SRS as of today (that is, don't think today's games figured in):

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/2018-ratings.html

subzero02
03-15-2018, 11:15 PM
That could be because they turn people over and that has been our weakness. Just a guess. GoDuke!

Our definite size advantage will trump their potential turnover advantage. My Bolden prediction is a 17 point win. We must make our free throws because they will be forced to foul us in the post early and often.

JStuart
03-15-2018, 11:24 PM

Best one by far is Victory 's Hop Devil! Drank it all last weekend (but not during the unc game, as I was driving to the coast....)

proelitedota
03-16-2018, 12:06 AM
Let the Arizona loss be a lesson that despite having a size and talent advantage, you still can get blown out.

Ian
03-16-2018, 12:21 AM
Let the Arizona loss be a lesson that despite having a size and talent advantage, you still can get blown out.

If we were still playing m2m a team like Buffalo can do the same to us.

subzero02
03-16-2018, 12:46 AM

The pac12 proved to be Charmin soft... zona, ASU and UCLA... one and done.

awhom111
03-16-2018, 12:52 AM
We are the second game in Pittsburgh and will on CBS. The first game tips at 12:10pm ET so look for ours to be 2:40pm or later.
http://www.turner.com/pressroom/cbs-sports-and-turner-sports-announce-tip-times-and-matchups-second-round-games-saturday-0

subzero02
03-16-2018, 01:03 AM
We are the second game in Pittsburgh and will on CBS. The first game tips at 12:10pm ET so look for ours to be 2:40pm or later.
http://www.turner.com/pressroom/cbs-sports-and-turner-sports-announce-tip-times-and-matchups-second-round-games-saturday-0

Basically the same bat time and same bat channel. It worked the first time.

kAzE
03-16-2018, 01:21 AM
The Arizona upset really illustrates how the NCAA tournament isn't decided by big men. You gotta have great guard play on both sides.

I think we can reasonably expect solid performances from Grayson, so I'm hoping this is the start of a hot streak for Duval.

fan345678
03-16-2018, 01:43 AM
I saw the off-day beer discussion, but if anyone is looking for a great daytime hangout with cigars and coffee, the Leaf & Bean in the Strip (https://www.leafandbean.com/stripdistrict/) is your place. Plenty of lunch options around, too.
Actually, if you go, message be because I need a photo from there to settle an argument.

Sorry if that's off topic. Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island. Discuss.

gocanes0506
03-16-2018, 08:01 AM
The Arizona upset really illustrates how the NCAA tournament isn't decided by big men. You gotta have great guard play on both sides.

I think we can reasonably expect solid performances from Grayson, so I'm hoping this is the start of a hot streak for Duval.

You have to have good guard play. Good big men would be more important, if you actually feed them the ball. Guards are too selfish these days and are taught to make the play.

We lost the first half big lead yesterday because we got complacent and jack up threes, instead of the pounding the ball to the big men asking for the ball. Countless times our big men are in good position and dont get the ball.

jv001
03-16-2018, 08:11 AM
You have to have good guard play. Good big men would be more important, if you actually feed them the ball. Guards are too selfish these days and are taught to make the play.

We lost the first half big lead yesterday because we got complacent and jack up threes, instead of the pounding the ball to the big men asking for the ball. Countless times our big men are in good position and dont get the ball.

I thought we played well through out the game. The defense looked better in the 2nd half and I was happy to see Grayson, Trevon and Gary shooting those wide open threes. We'll need for those guys to make around 35% or better going forward. Defenses will try to take away our big guys. It was great to see a different offense from the turnovers that came from forced passes in previous games. I want to see a balanced offense, inside scoring and open 3 pointers. If the 3 ball is not falling then go to Marvin and Wendell down low. Just please don't force the passes. GoDuke!

devilsince1977
03-16-2018, 08:32 AM
They are 7 - 6 vs NCAAT teams. They lost to UVA by 15. The rest of the games were against teams in the 7 to 16 seed range.

devildeac
03-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Best one by far is Victory 's Hop Devil! Drank it all last weekend (but not during the unc game, as I was driving to the coast...)

Apparently, according to a poster on Ymm, Beer, Java Cask is quite a concoction;).

CDu
03-16-2018, 09:44 AM
So I originally posted this along with the Oklahoma scouting report in the Phase VII thread. It now belongs here:

The Rams are... probably a bit overseeded. They are #49 in KenPom and #55 in T-Rank. Their general profile is more similar to that of San Diego State (an 11 seed) or OK State, Miss St, Nebraska, and Boise St (who all missed the tourney). So they are perhaps a bit fortunate to be seeded as high as they were. Not a bad team, but probably not a team that should be seeded on the 7 line (or even 8 or 9 line). Probably a 10 or 11 seed. The Rams don't play terribly fast, but they play tenacious defense in their man-to-man and even apply some full-court pressure. What they do as well as basically anyone in the country is force turnovers. They aren't big, but they are very pesky. And turnovers fuel their offense. That said, they don't rebound great and they don't defend the 2 very well, and they foul a lot (as expected of a team that forces turnovers). And offensively, they don't do anything particularly well except for avoid turnovers. They did beat Seton Hall (neutral site) and Providence (home), and lost close at Alabama. But they more or less built their resume by beating the teams that they should beat in the A10 rather than anything truly impressive out of conference.

Center: Andre Berry (6'8", 275lb senior) is the man in the middle. Berry has developed into a useful post scorer for the Rams this year after being a rarely-used backup the previous two years. He's a BIG body inside. Not a terrible rebounder, but not as good as his size would suggest either. Berry is very foul prone, which is why he plays just 18 mpg. The other big is Cyril Langevine (6'8", 225lb sophomore). Langevine is the team's best rebounder and shotblocker, and pretty good at both. Unfortunately, he is even more foul prone than Berry. Langevine isn't an explosive athlete, but he's a clever post player defensively. His offensive game is primarily putbacks and finishes at the rim, but he can occasionally hit a jumper. I would expect both of these guys to have trouble with our size on both ends of the floor, provided we can protect the ball and make this a half-court game. The "break in case of emergency" option is Ryan Preston (6'7", 230lb junior JuCo transfer). Preston is a rugged warm body who just steals minutes as needed. When in, he rebounds, blocks shots, and fouls. The backup emergency backup is Mike Layssard (6'8", 255lb sophomore). Layssard pounds the defensive glass... and fouls.

Forwards: Do not exist. Rhode Island is a four-guard/wing team, almost exclusively. Okay, technically they sometimes play one forward: Nicola Akele (6'8", 215lb junior from Italy). Akele doesn't play much, but when he does he plays the stretch 4 role. He's a career 39% 3pt shooter. He doesn't do much else though, besides foul.

Wings: The Rams have a ton of these guys. The team's star is Jared Terrell (6'3", 215lb senior). Offensively, Terrell reminds me a little of Grayson Allen now. He's a very strong, athletic scorer who doesn't wow you with nuance in his game. Mostly an in-your-face style of scorer. He was not a great shooter until this year, but he has really improved this year. He shoots 42% from 3 and 82% from the line. Defensively, he is a versatile, physical, athletic defender who can generate turnovers. If he was a couple of inches taller, I would say he had a nice NBA career ahead of him. But size will be his concern at the next level, and he isn't a good enough ballhandler or passer to play PG. Still, he's a fantastic college player. Beside Terrell on the wings is EC Matthews (6'5", 200lb redshirt senior). Matthews has been a remarkably consistent player at URI at the season level, averaging 13-14 ppg, shooting around 42% from the field, and getting about 4 rpg. Matthews is a lanky, rangy wing rather than an explosive athlete. But he's a capable scorer, especially in the pick-and-roll game. Despite his solid skills and physical profile, though, he's turnover prone and often loses discipline defensively. He is a streaky shooter, and when he's on he can be a dynamite scorer. The third wing is Stanford Robinson (6'4", 200lb senior transfer from Indiana). Robinson is a lanky, aggressive defender and rebounder from the wing. He leads the team in steals and rebounds. He's also a streaky shooter, but is capable from distance. He is a big part of URI's defensive toughness, and is a dangerous weapon lurking to make a steal at all times.

Guards: Jeff Dowtin (6'3", 170lb sophomore) is the starting PG. Dowtin is a terrific 3pt shooter and a solid playmaker leading the team in assists. Dowtin isn't an explosive athlete, but rangy and smooth. He's terrific with the ball in his hands though, and very capable off the dribble as well as shooting 3s. Dowtin isn't quite as proficient at steals as some of his teammates, but isn't a liability on that end of the floor given his size at PG. The Rams do include a couple of other PGs, Jarvis Garrett (6'0", 175lb senior) and Daron "Fatts" Russell (5'10", 165lb freshman). Garrett is lightning quick and a terrific ballhandler who has developed into a pretty good 3pt shooter while at URI. His role has diminished with the arrival of Dowtin, but he's a capable D1 starting PG who now comes off the bench. Behind Garrett is Russell, who is a classic playground PG from Philly. He's tiny, but lightning quick with terrific ballhandling skills. Offensively, he's fearless, for good and for bad. He can be a creative shotmaker, but he is undisciplined and sometimes his confidence exceeds his abilities. He was terrific in a win over Providence and the loss to Alabama. But at other times, he's been abysmal (1-10 against St Joes, 1-8 in a loss to Davidson, 0-8 against UMass, 0-6 against, etc.). Defensively, he personifies the identity of this team, with extremely pesky full-court man pressure and opportunistic quick hands to get steals. If we face URI, he's a guy to keep an eye on, as he is quite capable of igniting that team. He had a big second half against Oklahoma.

This has the potential to be a very stressful game watching our guards try to avoid turnovers and get the ball to our bigs, who should have a huge advantage down low. We need to be strong with the ball, and make good decisions. If we do that, we should win. If we let them build confidence by turning the ball over and letting their guards get easy buckets, we'll be in trouble.

gocanes0506
03-16-2018, 09:45 AM
I thought we played well through out the game. The defense looked better in the 2nd half and I was happy to see Grayson, Trevon and Gary shooting those wide open threes. We'll need for those guys to make around 35% or better going forward. Defenses will try to take away our big guys. It was great to see a different offense from the turnovers that came from forced passes in previous games. I want to see a balanced offense, inside scoring and open 3 pointers. If the 3 ball is not falling then go to Marvin and Wendell down low. Just please don't force the passes. GoDuke!

My point was more that guards are important but big men have diminished in today's game with the 3 pointer.

Since, RI's guards are very good. I hope we try to make them play a half court game. In doing that, we need to make sure we go inside early and often. It will compact their defense and prevent fast break chances, 2 fold. 1. being no long rebounds from inside shots and 2. more of their guys will be playing defense within a 10-15 foot radius preventing run outs.

Try playing a compacted 2-3 zone on D as well. Their 3 point shooting is okay at 35%. They are very effective at driving the lanes. We dont want MBIII and WCJr getting in foul trouble early trying to defend drives or giving up easy dunks. If they make the 3 pointers then you extend.

On O, go inside and drive the lanes. They go 8 deep. Get them in foul trouble early to extend the bench.

jv001
03-16-2018, 09:51 AM
My point was more that guards are important but big men have diminished in today's game with the 3 pointer.

Since, RI's guards are very good. I hope we try to make them play a half court game. In doing that, we need to make sure we go inside early and often. It will compact their defense and prevent fast break chances, 2 fold. 1. being no long rebounds from inside shots and 2. more of their guys will be playing defense within a 10-15 foot radius preventing run outs.

Try playing a compacted 2-3 zone on D as well. Their 3 point shooting is okay at 35%. They are very effective at driving the lanes. We dont want MBIII and WCJr getting in foul trouble early trying to defend drives or giving up easy dunks. If they make the 3 pointers then you extend.

On O, go inside and drive the lanes. They go 8 deep. Get them in foul trouble early to extend the bench.

Good game plan. I too don't want to put pressure on our defense with bad passes leading to turnovers. On offense, take what their defense gives us. If we can get the ball low, I'm all for that because we have the best front court in the tournament. I'll take a repeat of yesterdays game. GoDuke!

Bluedog
03-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island. Discuss.

While RI as a whole isn't an island, it certainly does have islands! (But that's not why it's called Rhode Island admittedly). Another factoid: its official name is actually "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations." It's the ONLY state in the country that isn't simply "State of" (45 states) or "Commonwealth of" (4 states) and then its commonly referred to name.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming....

Go Duke!

gocanes0506
03-16-2018, 10:12 AM
On offense, take what their defense gives us!

It’ll be interesting to see how Hurley defends both dominant bigs. He’ll keep his 4G look because he only has 1 big man on the bench.

My assumption is this:

They gamble off of Duval and try to quickly double the big man to prevent a turn to the basket.

Both bigs are good at turning away from double teams and passing.
the non ball side big man will have a mismatch if they act fast enough. The non ball side big man will need to dive hard under the basket, sealing his man. Whoever the diver is should be within 5 feet of the basket in solid position. This should be the first look from the big man with the ball.
Can Duval have a repeat performance from deep? He should be the 2nd look from the big man being trapped. Duval will have the option to drive the ball if the big man with the ball catches it about 12 feet from the basket and the diving big man seals his man down low.
Allen and GT should have open looks as well as the defense rotates to double the big man. Also they will get open looks if Duval looks to drive and the help defender comes down. Can they hit them like yesterday?

Spanarkel
03-16-2018, 10:25 AM

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, and I hope/pray that we don't have to consider this on Saturday(or any of our 4 games after that), but at what point does a team prudently abandon the 3 ball? For an individual player I think 1/6-7 is time to stop trying the trey, but for a team collectively?

FerryFor50
03-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Our definite size advantage will trump their potential turnover advantage. My Bolden prediction is a 17 point win. We must make our free throws because they will be forced to foul us in the post early and often.

I dunno. Somehow, Iona managed not to foul us too much, despite being undersized. :rolleyes:

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 10:30 AM
I dunno. Somehow, Iona managed not to foul us too much, despite being undersized. :rolleyes:

Marvin is 6-11 - apparently nothing ever done to him by someone 6-9 or shorter is considered a foul......:mad:

MCFinARL
03-16-2018, 10:32 AM

I agree. I might worry more about how many threes we took yesterday if so many of them hadn't been wide open shots. What I don't want to see--and didn't yesterday--is the guards just passing the ball around aimlessly until somebody has to force either a bad pass into the post or a well-guarded three near the end of the shot clock.

CDu
03-16-2018, 10:34 AM
One good thing is that this Rhode Island team isn't a great 3pt shooting team. Terrell, Garrett, and Dowtin are all good 3pt shooters on the season, but the rest are streaky at best. EC Matthews is certainly capable of getting hot (like he did yesterday), and Fatts Russell can occasionally blow up too. But on average, they are both below-average 3pt shooters (Russell well below average).

They shot about as well as they could hope yesterday. If they shoot their average, they lose yesterday. And if they do that tomorrow, they will likely lose as well, unless we just hand the ball to them 20+ times.

weezie
03-16-2018, 10:36 AM

Gosh, ain't that the truth?! It's approaching enjoyable!

FerryFor50
03-16-2018, 10:39 AM
One good thing is that this Rhode Island team isn't a great 3pt shooting team. Terrell, Garrett, and Dowtin are all good 3pt shooters on the season, but the rest are streaky at best. EC Matthews is certainly capable of getting hot (like he did yesterday), and Fatts Russell can occasionally blow up too. But on average, they are both below-average 3pt shooters (Russell well below average).

They shot about as well as they could hope yesterday. If they shoot their average, they lose yesterday. And if they do that tomorrow, they will likely lose as well, unless we just hand the ball to them 20+ times.

I think defensively, Duke will be fine. They'll extend the zone out and morph it into a 3-2, if necessary.

The issue, as you said, will be turnovers.

Which Allen and Duval do we get tomorrow? The Iona ones? Or the Virgina Tech ones?

weezie
03-16-2018, 10:40 AM
The Arizona upset really illustrates how the NCAA tournament isn't decided by big men...

And especially bigs who stand around watching as the guards sashay past them for layups.

Must be active and moving, dear Big Duke Men!

uh_no
03-16-2018, 11:21 AM

I mean, they also somehow managed to not prevent us from scoring for 40 minutes. The traffic cone defense did not prove effective yesterday. I'm guissing Rhode Island will try something different.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 11:34 AM
The Arizona upset really illustrates how the NCAA tournament isn't decided by big men.

I would say that the Arizona loss illustrates that Wildcats are susceptible to ungulates. Look out Kentucky!

Back on topic - I disagree completely. I think Carter and Bagley can completely decide this tournament, provided they get adequate guard play. I think that their sheer athleticism is our greatest asset, and likely to be our advantage against literally everyone else.

Turk
03-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Sorry cats and kittens, I took the pledge for Lent and general fitness improvement so I will be abstaining this weekend. When I come home to the Turk roost, I usually take a sampler case of local goodness back to the wrong side of the Commonwealth. Favorites include:

Church Brew Works Pious Monk Dunkel. (Yes, they converted an old church. Having been educated by the Sisters of Charity and the Christian Brothers, they had me from the jump. https://churchbrew.com/)

Penn Brewery Penn Dark. Penn Brewery is one of the original Pittsburgh craft brewers, and had some ownership / ups and downs over the years, but I am told they have righted the ship. http://www.pennbrew.com/Restaurants.aspx

East End Brewing Company is a newcomer on the scene, growing their business by getting taps in bars and filling growlers, and operating near where I grew up. I haven't had much chance to sample their beverages, but they are on the top of the list if / when I decide to step down from the wagon. http://www.eastendbrewing.com/

You can also find plenty of Fat Head beer around town, but those guys are from the Cleveland area (cough, wankers, cough), so someone else will have to write them up...

Off to a Serbian club on the South Side for their Friday fish fry with Papa Turk - I'm told those babushka ladies fry up a mean sammitch!

Listen to Quants
03-16-2018, 11:40 AM

Part of this, I think, is that Vegas lines tend to be smart/adaptive. Coach K, if ahead by 15-20 late will do the delay game, give points for time and go with the 'win by less, but with a higher probability (as he see's it)' strategy many of us have discussed/hated/respected. So, for Duke especially 10 is the new 15.

Other teams do this, of course, but I think K does it more.

CDu
03-16-2018, 11:46 AM

T-Rank has us at a 12.5 point favorite. Given the nature of a one-and-done tournament, I'm not surprised at all that the line is around 10.

devildeac
03-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Sorry cats and kittens, I took the pledge for Lent and general fitness improvement so I will be abstaining this weekend. When I come home to the Turk roost, I usually take a sampler case of local goodness back to the wrong side of the Commonwealth. Favorites include:

Church Brew Works Pious Monk Dunkel. (Yes, they converted an old church. Having been educated by the Sisters of Charity and the Christian Brothers, they had me from the jump. https://churchbrew.com/)

Penn Brewery Penn Dark. Penn Brewery is one of the original Pittsburgh craft brewers, and had some ownership / ups and downs over the years, but I am told they have righted the ship. http://www.pennbrew.com/Restaurants.aspx

East End Brewing Company is a newcomer on the scene, growing their business by getting taps in bars and filling growlers, and operating near where I grew up. I haven't had much chance to sample their beverages, but they are on the top of the list if / when I decide to step down from the wagon. http://www.eastendbrewing.com/

You can also find plenty of Fat Head beer around town, but those guys are from the Cleveland area (cough, wankers, cough), so someone else will have to write them up...

Off to a Serbian club on the South Side for their Friday fish fry with Papa Turk - I'm told those babushka ladies fry up a mean sammitch!

Oh boy, this sure does sound familiar. Like I read it somewhere before...

;):rolleyes:

Thanks.

Rich
03-16-2018, 12:17 PM
While RI as a whole isn't an island, it certainly does have islands! (But that's not why it's called Rhode Island admittedly). Another factoid: its official name is actually "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations." It's the ONLY state in the country that isn't simply "State of" (45 states) or "Commonwealth of" (4 states) and then its commonly referred to name.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming...

Go Duke!

I heard it's small, but can't confirm or deny that because the world is flat.

-- Kyrie

Lar77
03-16-2018, 12:38 PM
First, congratulations to our team for yesterday. Iona was an overmatched team that played well.

Going forward, some observations:

The refs appear to allow a lot of physical play inside. Seton Hall took it to State as a result and Yurtseven wasn't ready for it. Our guys have been negatively affected by physical play in the past. Foot work is important in getting position. Assume the refs will not call the subtle (Theo) push. That's important for our guards to understand when they try to pass over the top.

Don't get three happy or dribble with no purpose. And no hero ball. The refs are not being sympathetic to the dribble drive into a crowd.

Rhode Island played a good game yesterday against an awful OK team, but still needed OT to win. Play within ourselves and we will win.

I figure a win between 7 and 14 margin. Under 10 if we are struggling with our shots/turnovers at some point. It's not K's style to run up a score and we tend to give up a bunch of points when we have a big lead, either because of subbing or trying out something or guys just slowing it down.

This is not a gimme, but should be a high probability win.

subzero02
03-16-2018, 01:06 PM
First, congratulations to our team for yesterday. Iona was an overmatched team that played well.

Going forward, some observations:

The refs appear to allow a lot of physical play inside. Seton Hall took it to State as a result and Yurtseven wasn't ready for it. Our guys have been negatively affected by physical play in the past. Foot work is important in getting position. Assume the refs will not call the subtle (Theo) push. That's important for our guards to understand when they try to pass over the top.

Don't get three happy or dribble with no purpose. And no hero ball. The refs are not being sympathetic to the dribble drive into a crowd.

Rhode Island played a good game yesterday against an awful OK team, but still needed OT to win. Play within ourselves and we will win.

I figure a win between 7 and 14 margin. Under 10 if we are struggling with our shots/turnovers at some point. It's not K's style to run up a score and we tend to give up a bunch of points when we have a big lead, either because of subbing or trying out something or guys just slowing it down.

This is not a gimme, but should be a high probability win.

ESPN gives us an 84.9% win probability...

budwom
03-16-2018, 01:14 PM

The Pomeranian has us at 82%.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 01:20 PM

My gut has us at 347%

uh_no
03-16-2018, 01:26 PM

given they were the internet explorer of predictive analytics in last years tournament, I wouldn't put too much stock in their numbers.

CDu
03-16-2018, 01:53 PM

T-Rank has us at 84%.

uh_no
03-16-2018, 01:59 PM
T-Rank has us at 84%.

538 has us there too.

jv001
03-16-2018, 02:02 PM
My gut has us at 347%

Oh no, now you've gone and jinxed us. Quick, do something to reverse jinx it. :cool: Yeh, if anyone on DBR believed in jinxes. GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 02:06 PM
538 has us there too.

538% sounds a *bit* high to me.

uh_no
03-16-2018, 02:11 PM
538% sounds a *bit* high to me.

no no, you have to adjust for tempo.

subzero02
03-16-2018, 02:25 PM
We are -600 on the money line at most sports books which implies a win probability of 85.71%.

-bdbd
03-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Part of this, I think, is that Vegas lines tend to be smart/adaptive. Coach K, if ahead by 15-20 late will do the delay game, give points for time and go with the 'win by less, but with a higher probability (as he see's it)' strategy many of us have discussed/hated/respected. So, for Duke especially 10 is the new 15.

Other teams do this, of course, but I think K does it more.

Remember that URI is kinda guard-heavy. I don't think they'll have many options beyond what Iona did versus our bigs. They could always play their guards in closer to the lane, to make the paint area a bit more "crowded", but that really isnt their style. They play an aggressive, physical, swarming brand of D with their guards - just what you'd expect from a team coached by a Hurley.

I expect that we WILL be able to pound it inside and take advantage of our size.

Since URI has had some success against NAME/RANKED teams, and mixed success against zones, the key to their success will be knocking down threes. They split with St Joes, a good zone team, b/c in the first one (a loss) they hit something like 3 of 25 from three. In the comebacker (a win) they hit something like 16 of 30. These were their two highest number of 3-point-shots all season. BTW, the other zone team was Holy Cross, but they aren't very good. So I fully expect them to heft it from deep relentlessly. K will know/expect this. So anticipate our D (the 4 non-centers) to play out near the three line a lot, with the exception of Carter (or Bolden) at Center. There will be a lot of 8-15 footers available to them. But URI needs to hit a bunch of threes to win. Deny them that and we should be ok.

Note: watch how the game is being called early. If the refs are calling it tight, then that spells trouble for URI. They aren't as deep as us. If the game is called loosed, then they can be more ohysical with us.

Wildling
03-16-2018, 02:31 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, and I hope/pray that we don't have to consider this on Saturday(or any of our 4 games after that), but at what point does a team prudently abandon the 3 ball? For an individual player I think 1/6-7 is time to stop trying the trey, but for a team collectively?

From the players point of view and as someone who played bball for a long time, and never saw a shot I didn't like, there is never a time to abandon the 3 :) 1-7? No problem, I'll hit the next one.

Anyhow haha, I would hope as a coach, when the team is forcing 3's, or shooting contested 3's on most possessions and those 3's aren't falling, it's time to change the game plan to loosen up the defense so we can get easier looks. IG: punch it down low and punish them inside and let that marinate on the opposing coach for a bit :)

Wildling
03-16-2018, 02:34 PM
So I originally posted this along with the Oklahoma scouting report in the Phase VII thread. It now belongs here:

The Rams are... probably a bit overseeded. They are #49 in KenPom and #55 in T-Rank. Their general profile is more similar to that of San Diego State (an 11 seed) or OK State, Miss St, Nebraska, and Boise St (who all missed the tourney). So they are perhaps a bit fortunate to be seeded as high as they were. Not a bad team, but probably not a team that should be seeded on the 7 line (or even 8 or 9 line). Probably a 10 or 11 seed. The Rams don't play terribly fast, but they play tenacious defense in their man-to-man and even apply some full-court pressure. What they do as well as basically anyone in the country is force turnovers. They aren't big, but they are very pesky. And turnovers fuel their offense. That said, they don't rebound great and they don't defend the 2 very well, and they foul a lot (as expected of a team that forces turnovers). And offensively, they don't do anything particularly well except for avoid turnovers. They did beat Seton Hall (neutral site) and Providence (home), and lost close at Alabama. But they more or less built their resume by beating the teams that they should beat in the A10 rather than anything truly impressive out of conference.

Center: Andre Berry (6'8", 275lb senior) is the man in the middle. Berry has developed into a useful post scorer for the Rams this year after being a rarely-used backup the previous two years. He's a BIG body inside. Not a terrible rebounder, but not as good as his size would suggest either. Berry is very foul prone, which is why he plays just 18 mpg. The other big is Cyril Langevine (6'8", 225lb sophomore). Langevine is the team's best rebounder and shotblocker, and pretty good at both. Unfortunately, he is even more foul prone than Berry. Langevine isn't an explosive athlete, but he's a clever post player defensively. His offensive game is primarily putbacks and finishes at the rim, but he can occasionally hit a jumper. I would expect both of these guys to have trouble with our size on both ends of the floor, provided we can protect the ball and make this a half-court game. The "break in case of emergency" option is Ryan Preston (6'7", 230lb junior JuCo transfer). Preston is a rugged warm body who just steals minutes as needed. When in, he rebounds, blocks shots, and fouls. The backup emergency backup is Mike Layssard (6'8", 255lb sophomore). Layssard pounds the defensive glass... and fouls.

Forwards: Do not exist. Rhode Island is a four-guard/wing team, almost exclusively. Okay, technically they sometimes play one forward: Nicola Akele (6'8", 215lb junior from Italy). Akele doesn't play much, but when he does he plays the stretch 4 role. He's a career 39% 3pt shooter. He doesn't do much else though, besides foul.

Wings: The Rams have a ton of these guys. The team's star is Jared Terrell (6'3", 215lb senior). Offensively, Terrell reminds me a little of Grayson Allen now. He's a very strong, athletic scorer who doesn't wow you with nuance in his game. Mostly an in-your-face style of scorer. He was not a great shooter until this year, but he has really improved this year. He shoots 42% from 3 and 82% from the line. Defensively, he is a versatile, physical, athletic defender who can generate turnovers. If he was a couple of inches taller, I would say he had a nice NBA career ahead of him. But size will be his concern at the next level, and he isn't a good enough ballhandler or passer to play PG. Still, he's a fantastic college player. Beside Terrell on the wings is EC Matthews (6'5", 200lb redshirt senior). Matthews has been a remarkably consistent player at URI at the season level, averaging 13-14 ppg, shooting around 42% from the field, and getting about 4 rpg. Matthews is a lanky, rangy wing rather than an explosive athlete. But he's a capable scorer, especially in the pick-and-roll game. Despite his solid skills and physical profile, though, he's turnover prone and often loses discipline defensively. He is a streaky shooter, and when he's on he can be a dynamite scorer. The third wing is Stanford Robinson (6'4", 200lb senior transfer from Indiana). Robinson is a lanky, aggressive defender and rebounder from the wing. He leads the team in steals and rebounds. He's also a streaky shooter, but is capable from distance. He is a big part of URI's defensive toughness, and is a dangerous weapon lurking to make a steal at all times.

Guards: Jeff Dowtin (6'3", 170lb sophomore) is the starting PG. Dowtin is a terrific 3pt shooter and a solid playmaker leading the team in assists. Dowtin isn't an explosive athlete, but rangy and smooth. He's terrific with the ball in his hands though, and very capable off the dribble as well as shooting 3s. Dowtin isn't quite as proficient at steals as some of his teammates, but isn't a liability on that end of the floor given his size at PG. The Rams do include a couple of other PGs, Jarvis Garrett (6'0", 175lb senior) and Daron "Fatts" Russell (5'10", 165lb freshman). Garrett is lightning quick and a terrific ballhandler who has developed into a pretty good 3pt shooter while at URI. His role has diminished with the arrival of Dowtin, but he's a capable D1 starting PG who now comes off the bench. Behind Garrett is Russell, who is a classic playground PG from Philly. He's tiny, but lightning quick with terrific ballhandling skills. Offensively, he's fearless, for good and for bad. He can be a creative shotmaker, but he is undisciplined and sometimes his confidence exceeds his abilities. He was terrific in a win over Providence and the loss to Alabama. But at other times, he's been abysmal (1-10 against St Joes, 1-8 in a loss to Davidson, 0-8 against UMass, 0-6 against, etc.). Defensively, he personifies the identity of this team, with extremely pesky full-court man pressure and opportunistic quick hands to get steals. If we face URI, he's a guy to keep an eye on, as he is quite capable of igniting that team. He had a big second half against Oklahoma.

This has the potential to be a very stressful game watching our guards try to avoid turnovers and get the ball to our bigs, who should have a huge advantage down low. We need to be strong with the ball, and make good decisions. If we do that, we should win. If we let them build confidence by turning the ball over and letting their guards get easy buckets, we'll be in trouble.

Poor form double posting I know, but I couldn't spork you for this scouting report. Thank you!

DavidBenAkiva
03-16-2018, 02:50 PM
538 has us there too.

If you are looking for comparisons, here are current 538 probabilities for teams to make the Sweet 16 based on Thursday's results:

Villanova: 90%
Duke: 84%
Kansas: 78%
Gonzaga: 73%
Tennessee: 73%
Kentucky: 71%
Michigan: 58%
Texas Tech: 56%
Florida: 44%
Houston: 42%
Buffalo: 29%
Loyola (IL): 27%
Ohio State: 27%
Seton Hall: 22%
Rhode Island: 16%
Alabama: 10%

Duke is given better odds - against a higher-seeded team - than #1 Kansas.

CDu
03-16-2018, 03:14 PM
If you are looking for comparisons, here are current 538 probabilities for teams to make the Sweet 16 based on Thursday's results:

Duke is given better odds - against a higher-seeded team - than #1 Kansas.

To be fair, URI is a higher-seeded team in name only. In terms of performance, they should be a 10 or 11 seed.

Most rating systems do have Kansas as worse than us, but Seton Hall is much better than URI. Which is a big part of why were are favored moreso than Kansas.

duke4ever19
03-16-2018, 04:30 PM
The Rhode Island press conference was interesting.

One of the Rhode Island players said that he heard that Duke was at Chipotle yesterday and someone asked them about Rhode Island and they said they didn't know who Rhode Island was. Keep in mind the player wasn't even there, but said that someone else said that they asked Duke players about Rhode Island's team. Well, immediately after that, Coach Hurley had his press conference and one of the press asked him about the Chipotle/Duke quote. It's funny how eager the press was to pounce on something that amounted to hearsay.

I'm assuming Rhode Island will use it as bulletin board material, whether it happened or not.

Dukehky
03-16-2018, 05:08 PM
The Rhode Island press conference was interesting.

One of the Rhode Island players said that he heard that Duke was at Chipotle yesterday and someone asked them about Rhode Island and they said they didn't know who Rhode Island was. Keep in mind the player wasn't even there, but said that someone else said that they asked Duke players about Rhode Island's team. Well, immediately after that, Coach Hurley had his press conference and one of the press asked him about the Chipotle/Duke quote. It's funny how eager the press was to pounce on something that amounted to hearsay.

I'm assuming Rhode Island will use it as bulletin board material, whether it happened or not.

This didn't happen. Every Duke player refuted it. Also, there is no way they haven't heard of URI. Bagley and Trent said "I don't even eat Chipotle"

1. It's a freaking state.

2. Duke played them last year.

I think motivation-wise, this might backfire.

Trevon Duval did say that it would be cool for Coach K to pass Pat Summitt's all time win total by saying: "It would mean a lot for Coach to pass him" which isn't ideal, but Tre is 18 and Summitt's last game was 6 years ago, putting Duval at around 12 years old, so it's not that bad? It's pretty bad, but it is what it is.

gocanes0506
03-16-2018, 05:28 PM
2. Duke played them last year.

On my teams this would be a valid argument but this and the next team, it doesn’t mean much.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 05:29 PM

...and cue the Duke haters on all the message boards in....3....2....1...

Ballboy1998
03-16-2018, 05:40 PM
Trevon Duval did say that it would be cool for Coach K to pass Pat Summitt's all time win total by saying: "It would mean a lot for Coach to pass him" which isn't ideal, but Tre is 18 and Summitt's last game was 6 years ago, putting Duval at around 12 years old, so it's not that bad? It's pretty bad, but it is what it is.

Reasonable inference by Duval that the questioner would have been referencing another coach from the same league. I don’t really understand why comparing men’s cbb records to women’s cbb records is any more relevant than comparing them to the nba or to high school. It’s not the same game.

Still a bit awkward though.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Reasonable inference by Duval that the questioner would have been referencing another coach from the same league. I don’t really understand why comparing men’s cbb records to women’s cbb records is any more relevant than comparing them to the nba or to high school. It’s not the same game.

Stupid unnecessary question by a reporter obviously trying to force a false equivalency between the mens and womens' games....and BTW, why would a freshman know or care about records like that? Just no reason to ask that.

gep
03-16-2018, 06:36 PM

Since URI has had some success against NAME/RANKED teams, and mixed success against zones, the key to their success will be knocking down threes. They split with St Joes, a good zone team, b/c in the first one (a loss) they hit something like 3 of 25 from three. In the comebacker (a win) they hit something like 16 of 30. These were their two highest number of 3-point-shots all season. BTW, the other zone team was Holy Cross, but they aren't very good. So I fully expect them to heft it from deep relentlessly. K will know/expect this. So anticipate our D (the 4 non-centers) to play out near the three line a lot, with the exception of Carter (or Bolden) at Center. There will be a lot of 8-15 footers available to them. But URI needs to hit a bunch of threes to win. Deny them that and we should be ok.

I hope the three line includes the corners... I worry about the corner three...:confused:

dukelifer
03-16-2018, 07:01 PM

Well no chance to catch Geno

uh_no
03-16-2018, 07:26 PM

dumb question. I hate it. Usually it's used in WBB to legitimize it vs MBB....but here almost used in reverse.

Doesn't really matter as Geno will almost assuredly pass K next year, and at 7 years younger, will beat him to Pat.

K is the greatest MBB coach. Geno is the greatest WBB coach. It will be a long long time before anyone rivals either, and I see no reason to try to compare them to each other. They're both incredible at what they do, and I wouldn't want either to try to have to "live up" to the other.

DU82
03-16-2018, 07:41 PM
dumb question. I hate it. Usually it's used in WBB to legitimize it vs MBB...but here almost used in reverse.

Doesn't really matter as Geno will almost assuredly pass K next year, and at 7 years younger, will beat him to Pat.

K is the greatest MBB coach. Geno is the greatest WBB coach. It will be a long long time before anyone rivals either, and I see no reason to try to compare them to each other. They're both incredible at what they do, and I wouldn't want either to try to have to "live up" to the other.

K is approaching 1100 wins (1098-337.) Geno won his 1000th earlier this season (1023–135). This puts K up 75 right now. He's also tied with Summitt for wins.

jbay201
03-16-2018, 07:42 PM
dumb question. I hate it. Usually it's used in WBB to legitimize it vs MBB...but here almost used in reverse.

im sorry but this is a completely BS ignorant to compare Coach K in a sport with greatest parity in the world to Geno in a sport with least parity in the world. Women's WBB is not competitive at all with UCONN clearly the best team due to the top talent. it's like having a professional team vs. a high school team every game for UCONN. They should never lose!

also i could care less if duval calls pat summit a man instead of a woman because no one in the basketball world outside a tiny amt of hardcore WBB supporters would even care.

uh_no
03-16-2018, 07:43 PM
K is approaching 1100 wins (1098-337.) Geno won his 1000th earlier this season (1023–135). This puts K up 75 right now. He's also tied with Summitt for wins.

apologies. his wikipedia page is woefully out of date. Perhaps someone can update it!

Current position
Title Head coach
Team Duke
Conference ACC
Record 1,024–277

In any case, both are clearly the greatest at what they do, and regardless of what numbers they end up at, i'm skeptical anyone could seek to compare them without some agenda.

jv001
03-16-2018, 07:51 PM
im sorry but this is a completely BS ignorant to compare Coach K in a sport with greatest parity in the world to Geno in a sport with least parity in the world. Women's WBB is not competitive at all with UCONN clearly the best team due to the top talent. it's like having a professional team vs. a high school team every game for UCONN. They should never lose!

also i could care less if duval calls pat summit a man instead of a woman because no one in the basketball world outside a tiny amt of hardcore WBB supporters would even care.

UConn Women basketball is like the NY Yankees in the 50s-60s. The Yankees were able to buy players because the rules allowed it back then. That's why the Yankees have the most World Series Championships by far. UConn can't buy players but it seems the best women players want to play for UConn. Therefore zero parity which makes watching the Women's game unbearable for me. GoDuke!

CDu
03-16-2018, 08:04 PM
apologies. his wikipedia page is woefully out of date. Perhaps someone can update it!

Current position
Title Head coach
Team Duke
Conference ACC
Record 1,024–277

In any case, both are clearly the greatest at what they do, and regardless of what numbers they end up at, i'm skeptical anyone could seek to compare them without some agenda.

That is his record at Duke.

ndkjr70
03-16-2018, 10:47 PM
UConn Women basketball is like the NY Yankees in the 50s-60s. The Yankees were able to buy players because the rules allowed it back then. That's why the Yankees have the most World Series Championships by far. UConn can't buy players but it seems the best women players want to play for UConn. Therefore zero parity which makes watching the Women's game unbearable for me. GoDuke!

Did the rules not allow other teams to spend money in the 50s and 60s, or is this just a really lame post?

Duke07
03-16-2018, 11:57 PM
To be fair, URI is a higher-seeded team in name only. In terms of performance, they should be a 10 or 11 seed.

Most rating systems do have Kansas as worse than us, but Seton Hall is much better than URI. Which is a big part of why were are favored moreso than Kansas.

Seton Hall may be playing better now but RI did beat them 75-74 earlier this season.. Having watched Zona and UVA struggle with smaller teams playing mobile 4's I'm definitely not taking them for granted. We just need to take care of our business.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 12:40 AM
Did the rules not allow other teams to spend money in the 50s and 60s, or is this just a really lame post?

Yep, but reality did not allow any of them to spend like the Yankees....

MarkD83
03-17-2018, 01:23 AM
Seton Hall may be playing better now but RI did beat them 75-74 earlier this season.. Having watched Zona and UVA struggle with smaller teams playing mobile 4's I'm definitely not taking them for granted. We just need to take care of our business.

Back to the top with the Arizona and UVA games as warning signs to the team. Do not take RI for granted!!! I am sure they won't and no need to worry about this being a pseudo-road game.

BandAlum83
03-17-2018, 02:26 AM

My cairn terrier has us at 95.7%

That's as close as he gets to a guarantee.

Troublemaker
03-17-2018, 08:07 AM
Back to the top with the Arizona and UVA games as warning signs to the team. Do not take RI for granted!!! I am sure they won't and no need to worry about this being a pseudo-road game.

I don't think UVA and Zona took their opponents for granted, though. Realistically, it's a single-elimination tournament, all teams have weaknesses, and an opponent can always get hot and/or pick at your weakness(es).

With respect to Duke, our weakness is turnovers, and URI is one of the best at forcing them. I know we only had 12 turnovers against Iona but they were 12 that didn't inspire confidence going forward for some reason; just a gut feeling that that 12 can turn into 20 against URI. I'm really concerned about this game.

I more or less scoffed when people suggested we'd have trouble with Iona, but this is different. I'm going to have a max-bet on URI in the DBR fake-money gambling contest. Partly emotional hedge, partly I think our season ends today. I will pay the (fake-money) price if I'm wrong.

I like your punning skills and I hope your predicting skills is right. You should join DBR's fake-money NCAA tourney gambling competition: https://contests.covers.com/OfficePools/OverallLeaderboard/2957c4c7-8b50-49fc-87e5-a8a100c55ac5

If you get just this one outcome right, you'll jump into the top 5.

devildeac
03-17-2018, 08:23 AM
My cairn terrier has us at 95.7%

That's as close as he gets to a guarantee.

Sad. Thread's going to the dogs.

robed deity
03-17-2018, 08:54 AM
I don't think UVA and Zona took their opponents for granted, though. Realistically, it's a single-elimination tournament, all teams have weaknesses, and an opponent can always get hot and/or pick at your weakness(es).

With respect to Duke, our weakness is turnovers, and URI is one of the best at forcing them. I know we only had 12 turnovers against Iona but they were 12 that didn't inspire confidence going forward for some reason; just a gut feeling that that 12 can turn into 20 against URI. I'm really concerned about this game.

I more or less scoffed when people suggested we'd have trouble with Iona, but this is different. I'm going to have a max-bet on URI in the DBR fake-money gambling contest. Partly emotional hedge, partly I think our season ends today. I will pay the (fake-money) price if I'm wrong.

I like your punning skills and I hope your predicting skills is right. You should join DBR's fake-money NCAA tourney gambling competition: https://contests.covers.com/OfficePools/OverallLeaderboard/2957c4c7-8b50-49fc-87e5-a8a100c55ac5

Yeah, ever since I saw their turnover rate when the bracket was announced, this game had me worried. Everyone needs to value the ball, but I'm not sure it's that simple.

Neals384
03-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island. Discuss.

it doesn't have a colossus, either.

Jackson
03-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Wonder if Bobby is going to be at the game. Also, is it just me or does anyone notice the difference how much better CBS camera work and angles are than ESPN? Watching games on ESPN has become painful. Showing players on the bench stretching out a cramp while missing a shot did not help my blood pressure.

robed deity
03-17-2018, 09:32 AM
And after looking at the stats, other teams Duke has faced this year that force a lot or turnovers:

St John's, Virginia, NC State...

This is not instilling me with confidence.

Time for the team to step up!

dukelifer
03-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Yes - turnovers are a problem and limiting them is the key to winning. They will be very aggressive with Duke’s bigs- trying to strip them- and they will force Duval into bad decisions. Focus is the key. They have to value each possession. Duke needs to impose their will- which they have not done except when down big.

indy1duke
03-17-2018, 09:45 AM
After reading the excellent scouting report it becomes apparent that this game will match contrasting styles and personnel. Will RI play zone or m2m? If m2m I assume Berry at 6’8”, 275 will guard Carter and foul him. My question is which Ram is assigned Bagley? They don’t have any forwards so it will be a wing — either Robinson who is 6’4” 200 or Matthews who is 6’5” 200. They are not likely to be able to front Bagley successfully, but if they play behind him he catches the ball and all he has to do is turn and shoot over someone 6 or 7 inches smaller. Bagley is so nimble he is not prone to charge calls in that situation. I expect RI to pack it in to prevent catches and be very physical, perhaps double with another wing. Maybe they are willing to trade 2s for 3s. I would be more worried if Duke played m2m. Our zone is the best antidote for small ball. I expect a hard fought difficult game, especially for our guards.

Turk
03-17-2018, 09:56 AM
The biggest problem will be navigating the remnants of Pittsburgh's St Patrick's Day parade to get to the gym on time. Glad we have the second game of the doubleheader.

gocanes0506
03-17-2018, 10:09 AM
After reading the excellent scouting report it becomes apparent that this game will match contrasting styles and personnel. Will RI play zone or m2m? If m2m I assume Berry at 6’8”, 275 will guard Carter and foul him. My question is which Ram is assigned Bagley? They don’t have any forwards so it will be a wing — either Robinson who is 6’4” 200 or Matthews who is 6’5” 200. They are not likely to be able to front Bagley successfully, but if they play behind him he catches the ball and all he has to do is turn and shoot over someone 6 or 7 inches smaller. Bagley is so nimble he is not prone to charge calls in that situation. I expect RI to pack it in to prevent catches and be very physical, perhaps double with another wing. Maybe they are willing to trade 2s for 3s. I would be more worried if Duke played m2m. Our zone is the best antidote for small ball. I expect a hard fought difficult game, especially for our guards.

I expect them to quickly double our big man with the closest winger. Movement by our gaurds, positioning of the 2nd big man, and making open threes will be key. A plus for us is the fact that Carter and Bagley are good passers.

RI guards will attack our zone and big men early to draw fouls.

Sixthman
03-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Wonder if Bobby is going to be at the game. Also, is it just me or does anyone notice the difference how much better CBS camera work and angles are than ESPN? Watching games on ESPN has become painful. Showing players on the bench stretching out a cramp while missing a shot did not help my blood pressure.

This has always been true -- the CBS quality of real time production is shockingly better -- number of replays, turnaround of video, camera angles. They also have higher expectations for commentators. ESPN has given been great at delivering broad content, but always poor when it comes to quality.

budwom
03-17-2018, 10:26 AM
This has always been true -- the CBS quality of real time production is shockingly better -- number of replays, turnaround of video, camera angles. They also have higher expectations for commentators. ESPN has given been great at delivering broad content, but always poor when it comes to quality.

ESPN's specialty the last few years is to deliberately not show the inbounds pass, and often don't cut to showing the court for several seconds...as such, they frequently miss things like steals and turnovers..

Sixthman
03-17-2018, 10:33 AM
The front page piece on the game says the key to the game is Duke's ability to match their effort, hustle and intensity -- to match their toughness. Of course, this is precisely the vulnerability of this Duke team: we rarely play with the all out, first on the floor after a loose ball, maximum energy/effort for every moment of every play, we're not going to let up intensity that is a hallmark of Duke Basketball under Coach K. Every game this season, that's what I've hoped for and that's what I'll be looking for this game. My gut and heart tell me if these guys do that once, they'll never want to do anything else, and then we'll be cutting down the nets.

But that has not been the story of this season. At a purely analytical level, I think we can beat these guys if we bring 75% of their intensity if we also do two other things: 1. Make a reasonable percentage of our threes; and 2. Don't have any prolonged offensive lapses.

As for literally matching their intensity: If we match their hustle, effort and intensity for 40 minutes today, we'll run these guys out of the gym.

Bob Green
03-17-2018, 10:39 AM
I expect them to quickly double our big man with the closest winger.

When they double Bagley, he needs to pass out of the double team to a shooter. Bagley has a tendency to either take the shot or make an interior pass. Finding the open shooter behind the 3 PT Line is an effective way to make the opponent pay for gambling with the double team.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 10:44 AM
ESPN's specialty the last few years is to deliberately not show the inbounds pass, and often don't cut to showing the court for several seconds...as such, they frequently miss things like steals and turnovers..

Another ESPN specialty is having announcers yacking on and on about stuff not even related to the game they're ostensibly broadcasting...meanwhile there are fouls they don't comment on, other things happening in the game, and they yack about who is the most reluctant to pick up the dinner tab or some other inanity.

Sixthman
03-17-2018, 10:51 AM
When they double Bagley, he needs to pass out of the double team to a shooter. Bagley has a tendency to either take the shot or make an interior pass. Finding the open shooter behind the 3 PT Line is an effective way to make the opponent pay for gambling with the double team.

This time of year the zebras allow a lot more physical contact in the post. Smaller guys guarding our bigs may get even more leeway. Our bigs have struggled a little with physical double teams this year so we should expect them today. Could not agree more that we need to avoid a bad shot under pressure in these situations. A cutter to the basket — think Javin or even Grayson — is another good alternative.

CDu
03-17-2018, 10:56 AM

They will play primarily man defense. I would guess Robinson gets the initial assignment on Bagley. He will overplay any entry pass going for the steal. And any time a player puts the ball on the floor inside the paint the Rams will rake down at the ball going for the steal. Because URI is the underdog and woefully undersized, I expect the officials will be leniant with their reach-in fouls. So we will need to be very careful when we dribble inside. And we will need to be sure with our passing.

Dub
03-17-2018, 11:01 AM
My 2 cents about this one.

1) From reading many comments on the thread, I would think we were the 10 point underdog. Look I get it. We’ve had a history of flaming out early but I just don’t see it in this one. We have the most obvious advantage in the paint. We should completely dominate them down low. IMO - RIs only shot is to go BC on us and hit a ridiculous amount of contested 3s. Could it happen, sure, but I’ll take our chances with our zone.

2) As I’ve said all season, the postseason is all about Trevon Duval. He opens the game up for everyone. While I don’t expect him to get 19 again, a 2:1 assist ratio would be nice. I hope he’s aggressive and I think he plays well again. I didn’t wager on the game, but if I did I’d take Duke -10. I don’t think we’ll dominate for 40 but I think we take their will in the last 6-7 mins of the game. I think MBIII has a huge game. Let’s say 30 & 12. Can 2:40 get here? Sheesh I’m anxious.

jipops
03-17-2018, 11:10 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with our offensive performance against Iona. Despite Iona being a bad defensive team, I figured we would struggle given the recent stagnation on offense and the overall inexperience of playing in the tournament.

Still, today's game is worrisome. No doubt staff and team are keenly aware of the turnover problems that could be exploited by URI. Executing on that front is another thing and despite it being a lingering issue most the season I'm not sure much has changed. My hope is we can keep the pace slow enough to where this doesn't become so much of a problem in that it gives URI more possessions in transition. Pray that a couple of their guys don't become crazy hot from 3.

I think if we get good guard play from Duval and either Trent or Allen we'll be ok.

And pleeeease own the boards. There are going to be a lot of loose balls in this game, many from long rebounds.

Bob Green
03-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Our bigs have struggled a little with physical double teams this year so we should expect them today.

We improved in this area as the season progressed. Physical play was a much bigger problem at the start of conference play in January than it was in late February/early March. I believe it was part of the adjustment process for Bagley and Carter. Hopefully they prove me correct today because they will certainly be bumped, held, pushed and elbowed.

slower
03-17-2018, 11:58 AM
We improved in this area as the season progressed. Physical play was a much bigger problem at the start of conference play in January than it was in late February/early March. I believe it was part of the adjustment process for Bagley and Carter. Hopefully they prove me correct today because they will certainly be bumped, held, pushed and elbowed.

Yep, the zebras let them play in the post-season.

It's a game that we should be confident about, but don't get overconfident.

URI isn't scared of Duke in the least. These are veteran, athletic city kids with a chip on their shoulder - the kind of team that has given us problems in the past. Yeah, we SHOULD dominate inside - if fouls are called properly. Yeah, they SHOULD revert to form on their 3-point percentage. But if they get hot, all bets are off.

Henderson
03-17-2018, 12:11 PM
What's the over/under on a Kardashian sighting at this game? Or do they even hang out with Lamar Odom anymore? Do Kardashians even go to places like Pittsburg?

It's embarrassing I don't know this. I really need to spend more time on the internet.

Anyway, Go Duke. This whole light blue Ram thing must be stopped starting now.

CDu
03-17-2018, 12:15 PM
What's the over/under on a Kardashian sighting at this game? Or do they even hang out with Lamar Odom anymore? Do Kardashians even go to places like Pittsburg?

It's embarrassing I don't know this. I really need to spend more time on the internet.

Anyway, Go Duke. This whole light blue Ram thing must be stopped starting now.

Per Odom’s wiki page, he and the Kardashian got divorced 2 years ago. I doubt any Kardashians would be there. Not even sure Odom himself would be there, but can’t imagine a Kardashian would.

dukelifer
03-17-2018, 12:39 PM
The front page piece on the game says the key to the game is Duke's ability to match their effort, hustle and intensity -- to match their toughness. Of course, this is precisely the vulnerability of this Duke team: we rarely play with the all out, first on the floor after a loose ball, maximum energy/effort for every moment of every play, we're not going to let up intensity that is a hallmark of Duke Basketball under Coach K. Every game this season, that's what I've hoped for and that's what I'll be looking for this game. My gut and heart tell me if these guys do that once, they'll never want to do anything else, and then we'll be cutting down the nets.

But that has not been the story of this season. At a purely analytical level, I think we can beat these guys if we bring 75% of their intensity if we also do two other things: 1. Make a reasonable percentage of our threes; and 2. Don't have any prolonged offensive lapses.

As for literally matching their intensity: If we match their hustle, effort and intensity for 40 minutes today, we'll run these guys out of the gym.

One thing to do it when you have a game in two days and another to do it when you have several days to recover. Duke shiukd play with urgency because blowouts are rare in the tourney. Fortunately they have a bunch of assistant coaches that know what it takes as a player to make a run.

jv001
03-17-2018, 12:44 PM
One thing to do it when you have a game in two days and another to do it when you have several days to recover. Duke shiukd play with urgency because blowouts are rare in the tourney. Fortunately they have a bunch of assistant coaches that know what it takes as a player to make a run.

Agree, sell out on every play. It's a one loss and you're done time of year. Play that way and Focus. GoDuke!

Duke31122
03-17-2018, 01:07 PM
Couple of things I think play to our advantage. One is our height and athletic ability. If they want to play a stretch 4 game, that’s fine. Bagley, Carter, and Delaurier are all athletic enough to guard a stretch 4.

The second is conditioning. If anyone remembers then RI/Oklahoma game the commentators were all talking about how gassed RI looking in the last few minutes of regulation. Add in the overtime and it took some toll on their players. Hence why they were shooting 3s and not driving as much.

Duke got fortunate and was able to rest the starters. Carter only played 24 minutes and I think everyone else was high 20s to low 30s except for Grayson who played 36. This team is battle tested and I’m excited to see what they can do.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Per Odom’s wiki page, he and the Kardashian got divorced 2 years ago. I doubt any Kardashians would be there. Not even sure Odom himself would be there, but can’t imagine a Kardashian would.

People don’t expect the Spanish Inquisition, either.

duke4ever19
03-17-2018, 01:20 PM
I've not been this nervous for a game in a long time. Not sure why. I think I'm more nervous than I was for the championship game in 2015. Maybe it's because I watched UVA go down last night.

I wish there was a way to record the game and watch it (or not watch it if they lose) via internet stream. I've not seen any way to watch any of the tournament games on replay online. I don't own a tv, but do get xfinity online. So it looks like either I watch it and take my heart on a roller coaster ride, or not watch it and risk not being able to watch it if they win.

duke96
03-17-2018, 01:34 PM
This didn't happen. Every Duke player refuted it. Also, there is no way they haven't heard of URI. Bagley and Trent said "I don't even eat Chipotle"

Kinda hope none of our guys eat at Chipotle given their history....

devildeac
03-17-2018, 01:37 PM
Kinda hope none of our guys eat at Chipotle given their history...

Yep.

Quoting a couple other posters:

You can't spell Chipotle without e coli or without tp.

:o

subzero02
03-17-2018, 02:18 PM
There might be a delay to our pregame warmup ...the nets need to be replaced; Villanova shot them off.

gofurman
03-17-2018, 02:41 PM
There might be a delay to our pregame warmup ...the nets need to be replaced; Villanova shot them off.

Duval and Carter look ok warmin’ up?

riverside6
03-17-2018, 02:51 PM
Live tempo based stats for Duke/Rhode Island

https://www.scacchoops.com/rhode-island-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-3172018

AGDukesky
03-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Every call and break has gone for RI

fuse
03-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Have to value the ball more.

Let’s go Duke!

MarkD83
03-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Duke looking a bit out of sync

El_Diablo
03-17-2018, 02:57 PM

When Duval dribbles the ball off his own foot, it’s hard to call it any other way.

rsvman
03-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Two careless turnovers and a missed layup so far.
Duval's three was in but then out

AGDukesky
03-17-2018, 02:58 PM
When Duval dribbles the ball off his own foot, it’s hard to call it any other way.

I thought that hit the defenders foot and that is why he didn’t try to get it

downeastdad

Get used to it. It's almost as if Ted Valentine was reffing the game. Oh wait....

jipops
This one is starting pretty much as expected

subzero02
Weak offensive foul call on Bagley

WHOneedsSOX
Duke has no chance at posting if they're going to call charges like that.

rsvman
03-17-2018, 03:05 PM
I hope Trent starts to feel it on those open threes.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 03:07 PM
They should not have the foul advantage given our size... our defense is playing great. We just need to knock down our open shots on offense. A couple of wide open misses by Trent. Also, as good as Javin is on defense; he really handicaps our offense when he catches the ball on the perimeter.

Dub
03-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Looks like we’re still figuring out what RI is doing defensively. GT Jr. has missed 2 wideee open 3s. Seems like the type of game he can go for 30 if he gets hot. Let’s hope they start falling. Defense looks fine. I can’t see RI keeping up with us when we go on a run. Need to get the bigs more involved and when they help kick out and bury them. Getting back on transition will have to be a priority all game.

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Rhode Island is doing a fantastic job boxing out so far.

El_Diablo
03-17-2018, 03:10 PM
I thought that hit the defenders foot and that is why he didn’t try to get it

Kind of hard to tell based on the replay, but you may be right.

gocanes0506
03-17-2018, 03:10 PM
If the average number of 3s fall, this isn’t a game. Got to make the shots.
Its Carter show so far. Keep it up WCJr

gocanes0506
03-17-2018, 03:11 PM
And soon as I type that we make the next 2 3s plus an and-1

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Kind of hard to tell based on the replay, but you may be right.

Looked that way to me. Weird for the ball to bounce that way if it hit Duval's foot. Clearly didn't just lose it like Reggie Miller thought.

InSpades
10 points in the 1st 8 minutes. 16 in the next 4. This is more like it!

Defense looks good so far.

Keep it up Devils!

subzero02
I say... I say... that's what I'm talking bout...

I will say that I'd like to see Bagley get some easier shots than with a spin move that has a 9.5 difficulty level

pfrduke
03-17-2018, 03:14 PM
This is a reductive and obvious point, but we look really good when we make shots.

AGDukesky
This is much better...

jipops
Carter owns this game

Ggallagher
03-17-2018, 03:15 PM
And soon as I type that we make the next 2 3s plus an and-1

Feel free to keep on typing.

jipops
03-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Ok. We have a double digit first half lead. This is danger time for us.

gocanes0506
03-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Feel free to keep on typing.

First time anyone has said that :)

kako
03-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Was just thinking that. The freshmen need to keep the pressure on and not let up.

Love it that Trent is hitting.

arnie
03-17-2018, 03:18 PM
I like the focused look in their eyes. Hope they keep the same level of intensity.

rsvman
03-17-2018, 03:19 PM
The D is solid.

Grayson's four-point play was great. And Carter's block was absolute beast.

AGDukesky

Yeah Duke is clearly the better team but complacency may be our most dangerous opponent

NM Duke Fan
Got up late from much needed nap, turned on game and it was 11-10, thought not another slow start. And then ... BOOM right after I started watching a hail of made threes. What a nice looking Zone as well. Keep building momentum and don't let off the gas please!

kako
03-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Got to keep a body on the big boy, 34. He doesn't seem to have the mobility to go around. If they do, they can limit his putbacks.

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Got up late from much needed nap, turned on game and it was 11-10, thought not another slow start. And then ... BOOM right after I started watching a hail of made threes. What a nice looking Zone as well. Keep building momentum and don't let off the gas please!

Their length is giving RI shooters trouble and Carter is scaring them into taking quick shots.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 03:25 PM
I've got to think that a 100% Duval converts both of those layups...

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Duval is playing well. Very under control so far. Missing some easy shots but he's not trying to force anything.

Have to find where Matthews is. He's the only one hitting shots outside the key.

kako
03-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Hurley has a beef. Looked like a pretty cheap foul.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Bolden with a slow reaction...

WHOneedsSOX
Bolden has a bad habit of reaching down when he goes to block a shot.

kako
Duval is playing well. Very under control so far. Missing some easy shots but he's not trying to force anything.

I think the law of averages catching up to Duval's shooting after last game. At this point I'd like to see him drive and dish, swing pass, direct offense, etc.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Make at least 1 of these foul shots Duval...

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 03:29 PM
I think the law of averages catching up to Duval's shooting after last game. At this point I'd like to see him drive and dish, swing pass, direct offense, etc.

Oh, I don't like the 3's but I'm just saying he's not forcing things trying to make a play that isn't there like he sometimes does. Driving into traffic and then trying to make a play that shouldn't be made. He has to take those open 3's early in the game but now that he's not hitting he should probably try to do something else.

rsvman
03-17-2018, 03:30 PM
Still way too many turnovers!

AGDukesky
03-17-2018, 03:30 PM

Exactly what I said

kshepinthehouse
03-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Hurley has a beef. Looked like a pretty cheap foul.

The guy had Marvin in an arm bar.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Duval!!!!

kshepinthehouse
Bolden has a bad habit of reaching down when he goes to block a shot.

He goes up straight like Wendell at first but brings his arms down almost every time. It’s frustrating because he is big enough to be difficult to shoot over.

WHOneedsSOX

How about 3 perfect ones?

devildeac
03-17-2018, 03:33 PM
Still way too many turnovers!

I think only 1 TO last 10 min or so.

NM Duke Fan
03-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Great looking free throws by Duval, perfect!

WHOneedsSOX
RI completely ignoring Duval and DeLaurier on defense which they should do. No room for Bagley or Allen to do anything. That last play they had 4 guys guarding those 2.

kshepinthehouse
What was wrong with that screen?

subzero02
03-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Good timeout by K... Allen might be a little tired. Fats is harassing Duval when he puts it on the floor which is keeping the ball in Grayson hand quite a bit...

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Better make that Duval. That was not a good shot.

AGDukesky
03-17-2018, 03:40 PM
No no no no no no great shot Duval!

InSpades
7+8+9+10+11 = 45

you could say that is balanced scoring... (at least from the starters)

subzero02
What was wrong with that screen?

It looked good to me in the brief replay they showed... Coach K hated the call and he had a great view

NM Duke Fan
03-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Great way to end the half for once with the largest lead of the game! Now to get off to a great second half start and pull further away!

rsvman
Duval ends the half strongly.

Overall, the team is looking pretty good

devildeac
7+8+9+10+11 = 45

you could say that is balanced scoring... (at least from the starters)

InSpades with a poker straight!

kako
03-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Good timeout by K... Allen might be a little tired. Fats is harassing Duval when he puts it on the floor which is keeping the ball in Grayson hand quite a bit...

He took it cause he would lose it anyway. Most coaches do that at the end of the first half.

Skydog
03-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Unlike UMBC, RI's decision-making and execution has been poor, at least in the first half. Poor shot selection, poor ball movement, inconsistent finishing. As long as they keep playing like this I'm comfortable.

SCMatt33
03-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Lucky to be going in with our largest lead. Duke made a lot of not so smart decisions on offense the last four minutes (after making a lot of great ones the first 16), but URI missed some real good opportunities on their end. This could easily be 7 right now instead of 17.

He might have jacked that 3 at the end, which probably wasn't a great shot, but I do want to give him credit for making a ton of great decisions throughout the half. I thought he made the correct decision a ton to pass up shots for drives, made some good passes, and pushed the ball, but stayed in control while doing so.

arnie
Glad to see K rest Carter with 2 fouls. Javin an offensive liability, but gives us great energy on D as a replacement. Recall we were up at half against SC last year, but was uncomfortable with our play. This year, the half against 7 seed feels much different.

subzero02
I really think we were on the brink of crushing RI's will. Our zone really is frustrating them

kako
03-17-2018, 03:44 PM
Oh, I don't like the 3's but I'm just saying he's not forcing things trying to make a play that isn't there like he sometimes does. Driving into traffic and then trying to make a play that shouldn't be made. He has to take those open 3's early in the game but now that he's not hitting he should probably try to do something else.

I agree with you that he's not forcing. And even though he hit some shots, I would rather see him passing or driving. Interior D either has to come out and challenge - should lead to good things.

ehdg
03-17-2018, 03:44 PM
Very happy with the first half n Wendell spent a decent amount of time on the bench he’ll be fresh fir the second half. Come out n pound the ball inside early n it will be game over.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Five TOs in the first nine minutes. Two in the last eleven.

So far so good. Let's crush the next four minutes.

CDu
03-17-2018, 03:48 PM
The only downside in that first half was Carter getting his second foul. Other than that, it went as well as could reasonably be hoped.

Glad that Russell got 3 fouls. He is the kind of pesky, irrational guy that ignites the Rams. If we keep him quiet, I like our chances.

The key now is to avoid mistakes. Don’t give them any reason for optimism.

-jk
03-17-2018, 03:49 PM
And NCAA TOs are 3 minutes...

-jk

SCMatt33
03-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Five TOs in the first nine minutes. Two in the last eleven.

So far so good. Let's crush the next four minutes.

And more importantly I think is that neither of those last two came from us pressing on offense. One was just a great individual defensive play to pick the pocket and the other was that illegal screen in the back court. The ones that get you are when you just give away too many free possessions because you forced stuff you didn't have to

ncexnyc
03-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Excellent first half of basketball, but man is Javin painful to watch on the offensive end of the court. Hopefully he'll find a shot between now and the start of next season.

devilsince1977
03-17-2018, 03:51 PM
Glad to see K rest Carter with 2 fouls. Javin an offensive liability, but gives us great energy on D as a replacement. Recall we were up at half against SC last year, but was uncomfortable with our play. This year, the half against 7 seed feels much different.

Duke was up by 7 and it should have been 15. I was nervous also. I don't have that feeling today. Keep executing and playing with energy.

jv001
03-17-2018, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the kind words. The Yankees had the most money and players liked that money. Plus it seemed that the Yankees were able to make unbelievable trades to get really good players without giving up much in return. You had to be there. Not that I hate the Yankees, I really think they are good for baseball. Now just wait a while and I'll try to give you another lame post.;):confused::confused:GoDuke!

subzero02
We are favored by only 1 to .5 points in the second half. One site has us as a pickem... we just can't let them get out in transition. Avoid turnovers and continue to limit them to only 1 shot and we should win this by double digits

Native
I am SO invested in this. Let’s Go. Duke.

jipops
03-17-2018, 03:58 PM
We scored 35 points in a 12 minute span. And even that span had a mini-drought of no fg’s made. It’s good to make ft’s.

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Put this away in the first 4 minutes, please.

TruBlu
03-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words. The Yankees had the most money and players liked that money. Plus it seemed that the Yankees were able to make unbelievable trades to get really good players without giving up much in return. You had to be there. Not that I hate the Yankees, I really think they are good for baseball. Now just wait a while and I'll try to give you another lame post.;):confused::confused:GoDuke!

And the Yankees made me a lot of money from my older brother, who hated the Yankees. We shared a bedroom, and I found a radio station that carried th Yankees’ games on a delay. I would listen to the game live, and then again on delay . . . about the time he was getting home from teenage escapades. I would bet him on aspects of the game like a pro hustler, loosing occasionally to keep him from getting suspicious.

El_Diablo
03-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Javin an offensive liability, but gives us great energy on D as a replacement.

He had some defensive breakdowns that half, mainly communication/mental lapses (e.g., running to the wrong side where Trent was already standing, vacating the lane to try to switch spots with Bagley while the RI player dribbles right into the spot where Javin had been standing). He wasn’t the only one though, and he definitely got hosed on that backcourt screen call.

Overall a very good half for the team, and having Carter back in there should reduce our occasional confusion on defense.

jipops
03-17-2018, 04:02 PM
Excellent first half of basketball, but man is Javin painful to watch on the offensive end of the court. Hopefully he'll find a shot between now and the start of next season.

Javin is never going to be offensve weapon. He just needs to carve his role as an energy guy.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Duval needs to start using the glass on those layups

kako
03-17-2018, 04:04 PM
Javin is never going to be offensve weapon. He just needs to carve his role as an energy guy.

It would help the team greatly if by his senior year he has a mid-range jumper. It's possible, he's not going pro early.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 04:07 PM
It would help the team greatly if by his senior year he has a mid-range jumper. It's possible, he's not going pro early.

Not unless he develops a jumpshot over the summer. He needs to make 200 3s a day this off season and work on his handle. His NBA future will be as a 3 and D role player.

WHOneedsSOX
Not unless he develops a jumpshot over the summer. He needs to make 200 3s a day this off season and work on his handle. His NBA future will be as a 3 and D role player.

Somehow that's what Lance Thomas is so it's not impossible. Of course it took Thomas a loooong time to get that shot though.

El_Diablo

I don’t know about that...he has some time to develop over the next couple years.

kako
03-17-2018, 04:09 PM

At this point, it would be tough to say he has a NBA future. That being said, that's what I was thinking. Any kind of shot (midrange, spot up corner 3) would be great for Duke. Now teams can sag off him... And yes, I am talking about next year or the year after that. I don't expect anything this year at all except garbage cleanup and layups/dunks.

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Carter has been fantastic today. Completely owning the key on both sides of the court, especially the defensive side.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 04:14 PM
I sense that we are one more 7 or so point run from completely breaking them. We just need to tighten up on the defensive glass a bit. No second chances, grab those 50/50 ball scrambles

Skydog
03-17-2018, 04:14 PM
Our OE so far is an outstanding 132pt/100. Great outside shooting and RI being overwhelmed by our interior size.

kako
03-17-2018, 04:16 PM
Too many whistle stops. We need the clock to keep moving.

Skydog
03-17-2018, 04:17 PM
Carter passes up a shot when he is 1v1 two feet from basket to pass out for a Devon 3? Poor decision.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 04:17 PM
At this point, it would be tough to say he has a NBA future. That being said, that's what I was thinking. Any kind of shot (midrange, spot up corner 3) would be great for Duke. Now teams can sag off him... And yes, I am talking about next year or the year after that. I don't expect anything this year at all except garbage cleanup and layups/dunks.

That is tough to say... it's much easier to say he has an NBA future...

kako
03-17-2018, 04:20 PM
That is tough to say... it's much easier to say he has an NBA future...

I hope you are right, and I am wrong.

CDu
03-17-2018, 04:23 PM
Four on Russell. That is good. His irrational confidence was my main concern for a second half comeback.

jipops
03-17-2018, 04:23 PM
Love seeing K angry while up 25

accfanfrom1970
03-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Javin with 7 rebounds. He is fufilling his role today.

NM Duke Fan
03-17-2018, 04:26 PM
That is tough to say... it's much easier to say he has an NBA future... He has a great work ethic, energy, bounce, attitude. I still think he has that future, this off-season might be the pivot point, focus on conquering the weaknesses. He just missed another shot, but he has plenty of time!

downeastdad
03-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Javin with 7 rebounds. He is fufilling his role today.

He can't hit a layup, but nailed two FTs.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 04:27 PM
I thought that block was good... and freaking incredible

ice-9
03-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Who is the annoying announcer who keeps complaining about Coach K talking to the refs?

kako
03-17-2018, 04:31 PM
Who is the annoying announcer who keeps complaining about Coach K talking to the refs?

Any of the other teams' radio play guys, but I think you are talking about our best buddy and big toe, Dan Dakich.

CDu
03-17-2018, 04:32 PM
That should do it. Up 10 possessions.

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Darn didn't see Michigan State gets Syracuse tomorrow. Will let them get some practice against a zone defense if they advance.

AGDukesky
03-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Refs have missed some really obvious calls but luckily it hasn’t mattered

kako
03-17-2018, 04:34 PM
URI isn't even contesting shots that our bigs get down low anymore. Vrank could get 20 now. This game is over.

Trey21
03-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Javin could make the league.

If you told me in 2010 that Lance Thomas was going to be the best NBA player of that bunch I wouldn't have believed you. It's up to him to put in the work. I'm sure scouts love his intangibles, motor, length, intensity, and defense, but yes he does have to carve out some sort of offensive skill. He doesn't even play make, nor is he that good of a passer.

CDu
03-17-2018, 04:37 PM
This has been clinical. Just destroying them.

accfanfrom1970
03-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Play Alex, may need him down the road. Like to see him make a bucket.

El_Diablo
Kevin Harlan got Javin’s name right once but has reverted to butchering it. How hard is it???

kako
Javin could make the league.

If you told me in 2010 that Lance Thomas was going to be the best NBA player of that bunch I wouldn't have believed you. It's up to him to put in the work. I'm sure scouts love his intangibles, motor, length, intensity, and defense, but yes he does have to carve out some sort of offensive skill. He doesn't even play make, nor is he that good of a passer.

Not saying he can't. I'm not anti-DeLaurier. Just saying it's hard to see now. That being said, he could make a living playing pro ball somewhere. Most Duke starters have that option.

Thomas was a better defender at this point than DeLaurier is now.

Skydog
03-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Why no subs? No reason to not give starters some breaks, protect against injury, etc.

Tjenkins
03-17-2018, 04:43 PM
I've seen this team a bunch of times this season, since I live in an A-10 market. I'm somewhat (pleasantly) surprised that this game has been so one-sided.

arnie
03-17-2018, 04:46 PM
I’ve enjoyed watching these games without hearing boos every time Allen touches the ball. It won’t be that way in Kansas country next weekend.

WHOneedsSOX
03-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Jack White with the Euro step!