PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 89, Iona 67 (NCAAT - 1st round) Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
03-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

DukeBlue666s
03-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Good start! Living in Boston, way too many URI fans are getting on my case already!

duke4ever19
03-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Remember, no bashing of players or coaching staff. ;)

MarkD83
03-15-2018, 05:07 PM
I told myself I would enjoy every win in this tournament. This was great. No references to Vcu or mercer. Duval was awesome. Let's hope he and the whole team keeps this intensity

TKG
03-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Want to be the first to unleash the cliché.... Survive and Advance.

DukeWarhead
03-15-2018, 05:08 PM
That Vrankovavich kid was awesome. Geez... it’s not that hard, Brando

proelitedota
03-15-2018, 05:09 PM
We need to play like this 40 min a game like how we played for 20 min today.

TheOldBattleship
03-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Wow, if Duval can play like that consistently, look out. Hard to take too much away from this one other than that we're pretty good and a tough matchup for a small team, but Duval looking like THAT is certainly something to enjoy. The shot looks somewhere between 1000% and 100000% better than it did at the beginning of the year.

Truth&Justise
03-15-2018, 05:13 PM
Just a good, complete game. Defense a little loose in the first half, but then adjusted well.

Great win. Let's move on to the next.

El_Diablo
03-15-2018, 05:15 PM
That Vrankovavich kid was awesome. Geez... it’s not that hard, Brando

There was no Brando on this crew (Harlan, Miller and Bonner).

Dukehky
03-15-2018, 05:15 PM
I know we were on fire from deep, but we need to not away from Carter and Bagley on the block so easily. I like Bagley on the right block more. Turning to the middle seems like it helps him more.

Also, Bolden is a freaking animal. That dude is gonna be so good.

IrishDevil
03-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Was only able to listen to the Westwood One broadcast at work for a bit and heard mention of Duval taking a finger to the eye? With Scheyer's experience and Duval's eye history on my mind, can someone who watched confirm that this was not serious and won't be an issue going forward?

rsvman
03-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Who was that good outside shooter and what did he do with Duval? ;-)

Dukehky
Was only able to listen to the Westwood One broadcast at work for a bit and heard mention of Duval taking a finger to the eye? With Scheyer's experience and Duval's eye history on my mind, can someone who watched confirm that this was not serious and won't be an issue going forward?

Never saw that. Saw Bagley get poked Duval twisted his ankle a little bit on his last play in the game, but he wasn't getting treatment on the bench, so I think he's okay.

BandAlum83

I don't think that happened. At least I didn't see it. It looked like Marvin may have at one point, but he kept playing. It looked like no ill effects.

dukebluesincebirth
03-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Iona was WAY overmatched with size and talent, so Duke did exactly what they were supposed to do. Great start! Rhode Island will be tough, but I’m encouraged by the start today! Let’s go Devils!!

IrishDevil
03-15-2018, 05:20 PM
Never saw that. Saw Bagley get poked Duval twisted his ankle a little bit on his last play in the game, but he wasn't getting treatment on the bench, so I think he's okay.

I don't think that happened. At least I didn't see it. It looked like Marvin may have at one point, but he kept playing. It looked like no ill effects.

Thanks for the update, glad that I apparently misheard and that we are healthy coming out of the game!

WHOneedsSOX
03-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Miami just lost on a buzzer beater.

BandAlum83
03-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Well that was a complete and focused game!

The Trevon Duval who showed up was the All ACC version.

Billy Dat
03-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Who was that good outside shooter and what did he do with Duval? ;-)

Amazing how hitting 3s turns him into an unstoppable offensive force. When he started 3 for 3 from 3, I thought it was a good omen.

Nothing like 20 point second half lead and a coast in for the win in round 1. Great start.

WillJ
03-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Played very well on offense. Our transition defense needs to get better.....we were often slow getting back.

Ballboy1998
03-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Nice, comfortable win. In the second half it looked like we mainly went to more of a 3-2 zone than the standard 2-3. I would guess that was a bit of a test run in case we need it for RI’s 3pt shooting. Let’s go beat the team in the pansy blue!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Reminded me of 93.....hit a ton of 3's and won first round by 35........couldn't throw it in the ocean and lost to Cal in round 2.

gofurman
03-15-2018, 05:35 PM

just hope ankle is ok... took a few hops - was that the same ankle as in unc game?

proelitedota
03-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Reminded me of 93...hit a ton of 3's and won first round by 35...couldn't throw it in the ocean and lost to Cal in round 2.

Did we have overwhelming size and talent advantage on the inside? If so, pack it up flocks. Show's over.

Wait I meant to write:

It's over.

Dukehky
03-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Reminded me of 93....hit a ton of 3's and won first round by 35....couldn't throw it in the ocean and lost to Cal in round 2.

Rhode Island doesn't have Jason Kidd...

WVDUKEFAN
03-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately, the game was blacked out in my area (90 miles south of Pittsburgh).

duke4ever19
03-15-2018, 05:48 PM

But they have Fats Domino . . . er, I mean, Fatts Russell.

jv001
03-15-2018, 05:49 PM

I wish he was their coach. :cool: Those Hurley guys can coach em up and one was a pretty good point guard for a pretty good team. GoDuke!

kako
03-15-2018, 05:54 PM
5 thoughts...

1. Duval's shooting game was surprisingly good. I wonder if Duke can count on it though. The law of averages says that he's now due for a terrible one. I hope he keeps it up, still playing within himself.

2. Duval still looked to me to be slightly favoring the ankle at times. I wonder how it really is. Carter didn't have that great a game, but they didn't need him. To the point, he looked healthy to me.

3. I believe I had seen the 3-2 zone against Carolina once or twice. It tends to work better against 3-happy teams. Maybe we will see it Saturday.

4. The 3s were falling but I thought Duke still should have been dumping it inside due to the height advantage. Still, glad to see Trent shooting well.

5. For a blowout and given they will play again in 2 days, I was surprised the starters played so much. Allen, Bagley and Duval still had 30+ minutes. But as I always say, I trust in K.

Go Duke!

9F

duke96
03-15-2018, 05:58 PM
I will resist the temptation to link back to old threads where I was lectured that Duval can't shoot threes and shouldnt be allowed to take them anymore...

uh_no
03-15-2018, 05:58 PM
5. For a blowout and given they will play again in 2 days, I was surprised the starters played so much. Allen, Bagley and Duval still had 30+ minutes. But as I always say, I trust in K.

it's free practice time.

Truth&Justise
03-15-2018, 06:01 PM

Was also listening on Westwood One. Tell me, when a train is coming will it stop for your car?

WHOneedsSOX
03-15-2018, 06:03 PM
5 thoughts...

1. Duval's shooting game was surprisingly good. I wonder if Duke can count on it though. The law of averages says that he's now due for a terrible one. I hope he keeps it up, still playing within himself.

2. Duval still looked to me to be slightly favoring the ankle at times. I wonder how it really is. Carter didn't have that great a game, but they didn't need him. To the point, he looked healthy to me.

3. I believe I had seen the 3-2 zone against Carolina once or twice. It tends to work better against 3-happy teams. Maybe we will see it Saturday.

4. The 3s were falling but I thought Duke still should have been dumping it inside due to the height advantage. Still, glad to see Trent shooting well.

Go Duke!

9F

1. Hopefully if Duval isn't hitting early on Saturday then he goes back to driving and not shooting.

5. Duke hasn't played in a week, maybe Coach K was just trying to get their game legs back. I was in insane shape back in high school (we would do conditioning drills/exercises 3 hours a day before our 3 hour practice) and I could tell I wasn't in as good of game shape when we had 4+ day breaks. And then IF Duke should win on Saturday then they'll have another 5-6 day break until the next game. They should be fine.

dukelifer
03-15-2018, 06:04 PM
I will resist the temptation to link back to old threads where I was lectured that Duval can't shoot threes and shouldnt be allowed to take them anymore...

Duval had a great game. Let’s hope he can repeat it. Duke is hard to beat with that type of contribution.

jv001
03-15-2018, 06:05 PM

Someone else mentioned this, Trevon's form looked better today. I know form looks good when they go in, but he seemed squared up and had more arc on his shot. What impressed me was that he made them at the beginning of the game when there was game pressure on him. Along with his good shooting, he had 8 assists and only 4 turnovers. I hope he continues to play like this. GoDuke!

luvdahops
03-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Or Lamond Murray, who really killed us in that game. 28 points on 11-17 shooting, including many made FGs with Grant or Tony Lang draped all over him.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1993-03-20-california.html

Bob Green
03-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Was also listening on Westwood One. Tell me, when a train is coming will it stop for your car?

Yes. After it drags your car a mile down the tracks.

Truth&Justise
03-15-2018, 06:23 PM
Or Lamond Murray, who really killed us in that game. 28 points on 11-17 shooting, including many made FGs with Grant or Tony Lang draped all over him.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1993-03-20-california.html

Murray played eleven seasons in the NBA. Kidd was a hall-of-famer. Don't think the guys on Rhode Island--though they have some good players--are that level. So I wouldn't worry too much about the comparison to 1993 Cal.

Devilwin

Yes, a mile down the track after it hit ya!

Bob Green

I'm not convinced we play a 3-2 zone ever. The 2-3 zone we play adapts to the situation. It looks like a 3-2 when the ball side wing moves up toward the 3 PT line and it looks like a 1-3-1 when a guard drops to the free throw line. It is a morphing 2-3. That's what I see.

jv001
03-15-2018, 06:26 PM
I'm not convinced we play a 3-2 zone ever. The 2-3 zone we play adapts to the situation. It looks like a 3-2 when the ball side wing moves up toward the 3 PT line and it looks like a 1-3-1 when a guard drops to the free throw line. It is a morphing 2-3. That's what I see.

Only Coach K and Coach JB know. :cool: I hope it's working Saturday. GoDuke!

ncexnyc
03-15-2018, 06:33 PM
I'm not going to lie, Iona had me worried the way they came out shooting the ball. Even though we were scoring and built up a lead, the Gaels kept hitting shot after shot and I really had that, "Here we go again" vibe going. Fortunately, we had some ringer on our team that was playing in place of that Duval kid, you know the one that can't hit the broadside of a barn even when he's a foot away. Kudos to Trevon for keeping the offense going and to the point where Iona just lost the idea that they could hang around and win the game.

Solid effort from our kids today and when they are on they are one scary team. This should be a very interesting ride from here on out.

kako
03-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Murray played eleven seasons in the NBA. Kidd was a hall-of-famer. Don't think the guys on Rhode Island--though they have some good players--are that level. So I wouldn't worry too much about the comparison to 1993 Cal.

That loss to Cal was the one that broke the FF streak, ended Hurley's Duke career and ended the chance to three-peat. Cal players were coming out of the woodwork hitting 3's, they couldn't miss. It still irks me, especially that I was here in the Bay Area - I had to listen to all the bandwagon fans talking about Cal*. Let's not speak of it again.

* - the Bay Area is really good at being bandwagon fans, then jumping off the bandwagon as soon as it hits a rut

9F

CDu
03-15-2018, 06:40 PM

Normally I agree - people have said we have played a 3-2 zone at times earlier this year. They were wrong.

However, today we really did switch to a 3-2 zone for the second half. The tell-tale sign is to look for the “center”. If there is one, it is a 2-3 zone. If there isn’t, it isn’t a 2-3 zone. In the second half, Bagley and Carter were both playing outside the lane on opposite sides, with assignments out to the corners, with the three guards/wings across the front at or above the free throw line. It was a 3-2 zone. First I have seen of it this year that I can remember - certainly the first extended use of it this year.

Papa John
03-15-2018, 06:42 PM

His stroke looked amazing today... if he shoots like that throughout the tourney, watch out! Also nice to see Trent get off the schneid, and Grayson feelin’ it as well. This was a pretty complete effort... as opposed to Kansas, who were hit with a UPenn sledgehammer out of the gate before righting their ship this afternoon...

duke96
03-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Duval had a great game. Let’s hope he can repeat it. Duke is hard to beat with that type of contribution.

Agreed. As many have said before his play seems be a big if not the biggest determinant is how well we play as a team. He has certainly been erratic (although ironically a pretty solid 3 points shooter over the last few months). Let hope this gives him some momentum to play well going forward (and not necessarily jack up 5 threes per game!).

jv001
03-15-2018, 06:43 PM
I'm not going to lie, Iona had me worried the way they came out shooting the ball. Even though we were scoring and built up a lead, the Gaels kept hitting shot after shot and I really had that, "Here we go again" vibe going. Fortunately, we had some ringer on our team that was playing in place of that Duval kid, you know the one that can't hit the broadside of a barn even when he's a foot away. Kudos to Trevon for keeping the offense going and to the point where Iona lost the idea that they could hang around and win the game.

Solid effort from our kids today and when they are on they are one scary team. This should be a very interesting ride from here on out.

It looked like we adjusted our defense to defend the 3 point shot better. Carter and MBIII had some good blocks and Wendell stole the ball 3 or 4 times by just taking out of the players hands.
We held them under 70 points and that was pretty good the way they were hitting everything to begin the game. GoDuke!

Bob Green
03-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Normally I agree - people have said we have played a 3-2 zone at times earlier this year. They were wrong.

However, today we really did switch to a 3-2 zone for the second half.

Thanks for the correction. I'll watch closer on Saturday to see what we use against Rhode Island.

jimsumner
03-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Gee, I confess I didn't expect to find '93 Cal as a focal point on this thread.

If only we could find an example when Duke played well in its opener and didn't lost its second game.

MChambers
03-15-2018, 06:54 PM

But our zone was really extended today. At one point, no Duke defender had a foot in the paint.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2018, 06:54 PM
Gee, I confess I didn't expect to find '93 Cal as a focal point on this thread.

If only we could find an example when Duke played well in its opener and didn't lost its second game.

Well what can I tell you....I'm sitting there watching all those 3's go in and the margin growing....and while I liked it, that 93 tournament just came to my mind. I wouldn't call Cal a focal point of the thread, but I would say it's analogous potentially simply regarding the 3 point shooting. I certainly hope it is not but apparently it struck a nerve with some other posters.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2018, 06:57 PM

To clarify, I was not comparing Rhody to Cal - I was bringing up the situation of being blistering hot from 3 in a game where you don't need it - with a much tougher game coming up - facing the dreaded regression to the mean.

In 93, had Duke shot 3's poorly against Southern Illinois like they did against Cal, they still would've still beaten S Ill - and if they shot 3's wonderfully against Cal like they did against S Ill...they would've won that game too. Law of averages can work for you, or against you.

jv001
03-15-2018, 07:01 PM
To clarify, I was not comparing Rhody to Cal - I was bringing up the situation of being blistering hot from 3 in a game where you don't need it - with a much tougher game coming up - facing the dreaded regression to the mean.

In 93, had Duke shot 3's poorly against Southern Illinois like they did against Cal, they still would've still beaten S Ill - and if they shot 3's wonderfully against Cal like they did against S Ill...they would've won that game too. Law of averages can work for you, or against you.

I understand what you are saying, but we had to keep shooting them because our guys were really wide open. Like someone said, good practice time. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2018, 07:07 PM
I understand what you are saying, but we had to keep shooting them because our guys were really wide open. Like someone said, good practice time. GoDuke!

They were good looks, and the "good practice" dynamic is what I kept telling myself....you know, "Gary looks solid, not like he's just on fire, just solid..." and so on. Still, I had the nagging feeling during the Southern Ill game in 93....that I had today....then again....I am very paranoid at NCAA time, in the early rounds. Once we get to the Elite 8, I'm an optimist again!

Native
03-15-2018, 07:26 PM
It seems that at halftime Coach K FINALLY told our wings and bigs to stop cheating up in the corners of the zone. I love that we've finally cleaned that up — it felt like the Cheats got corner threes at will against us in the ACCT. Seemed to disrupt Iona's game plan a bit as well.

Great game from Duval. If he can keep playing at this level we should show well in this tournament.

Would like to see Bagley and Carter not settle for threes in matchups where they have a decided size advantage, but if they make them, well, I'm not complaining.

Survive and advance. Onward!

Rich
03-15-2018, 09:03 PM

However, today we really did switch to a 3-2 zone for the second half. The tell-tale sign is to look for the “center”. If there is one, it is a 2-3 zone. If there isn’t, it isn’t a 2-3 zone. In the second half, Bagley and Carter were both playing outside the lane on opposite sides, with assignments out to the corners, with the three guards/wings across the front at or above the free throw line. It was a 3-2 zone. First I have seen of it this year that I can remember - certainly the first extended use of it this year.

I say we resolve this by just playing a 3-3. We’d be damn near unstoppable!

Wildling
03-15-2018, 09:45 PM
Couldn't ask for a better start to the tourney. Duval was a pleasant surprise today. Let's hope that continues! Let's demoralize RI in the same fashion Saturday! Go Duke!

uh_no
03-15-2018, 09:50 PM

except against alabama maybe.

jimsumner
03-15-2018, 09:54 PM

Duke hit 10-21 on 3s against Robert Morris in 2015. How many of those did they need? How badly did Duke regress to the mean in the next game?
(6-14, as a matter of fact).

I could go on. And on. And on. But it seems like an inconsequential thing to worry about.

If Duke had struggled, the board would be in full panic-mode. So, Duke doesn't struggle and people want to worry about playing well? Because playing poorly presages playing poorly down the road, while playing well presages playing poorly down the road?

As always, YMMV.

jv001
03-15-2018, 09:58 PM

Don't say that too loudly. The cheat will try it and probably get away with it. :cool::cool: GoDuke!

devildeac
03-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Don't say that too loudly. The cheat will try it and probably get away with it. :cool::cool: GoDuke!

They'd likely call it a 3-0-3 and designate it a graduate level course.

uh_no
03-15-2018, 10:00 PM
As always, YMMV.

If you expect to be disappointed, you will never be disappointed!

rolm
03-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Did anyone notice Len Elmore's comment during the game he was announcing today when he referenced the Duke-Kentucky 92 Regional Final but said Duke-Louisville instead? (and did not correct himself). He was one of the announcers at that game. I guess age is catching up with Len.

ipatent
03-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Could have been a tough game if the shooting was average, Iona had some talent. Glad Duval was hitting threes, hopefully teams will start guarding him so he can beat them on the dribble more.

SavDukeGrad
03-15-2018, 10:11 PM
Did anyone notice Len Elmore's comment during the game he was announcing today when he was referencing the Duke-Kentucky 92 Regional Final but said Duke-Louisville instead? (and did not correct himself). He was one of the announcers at that game. I guess age is catching up with Len.

I noticed that too! And immediately thought I guess he is getting pretty old. I would think that confusion is unforgivable in the bluegrass state!

rsvman
03-15-2018, 10:12 PM
Did anyone notice Len Elmore's comment during the game he was announcing today when he was referencing the Duke-Kentucky 92 Regional Final but said Duke-Louisville instead? (and did not correct himself). He was one of the announcers at that game. I guess age is catching up with Len.

Caught it, texted it to my son. Lol. Duke-Louisville? Really? I mean, everybody remembers that classic Duke-Louisville game, right?

Sheesh. At least he got the opponent's state right.

rolm
03-15-2018, 10:16 PM
Caught it, texted it to my son. Lol. Duke-Louisville? Really? I mean, everybody remembers that classic Duke-Louisville game, right?

Sheesh. At least he got the opponent's state right.

I wonder who felt more slighted by his comment...Louisville or Kentucky fanbase?

ChillinDuke
03-15-2018, 10:37 PM
And here we are at a measly 4 pages of posts after a dominant and smooth 1st Round performance.

Great game.

- Chillin

Saratoga2
03-16-2018, 06:12 AM
I thought the Iona coach had a savvy game plan where he tried to exploit his only advantage. Iona was small but quick, so he decided to push the ball up the floor every offensive position and try to get an open shot before our defense and rebounding got in place. They did have some success with it as they shot very well and it took our advantage in size and our perimeter shooting to overwhelm them. Rhode Island is also much smaller than us and will probably try the same game plan. The only other thing that might work against us is to continually drive into the teeth of our defense and draw fouls. Hard to do against our zone and with our size and athleticism. If we have anything like our game against Iona, we will rightly be a heavy favorite.

camion
03-16-2018, 07:55 AM
Reminded me of 93...hit a ton of 3's and won first round by 35...couldn't throw it in the ocean and lost to Cal in round 2.

It reminded me a bit of 2001... when we won every game by double digits.

I guess for me the glass is mostly full.

It will be over soon in any event and the summer doldrums will follow. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.

NashvilleDevil
03-16-2018, 08:15 AM
Reminded me of 93....hit a ton of 3's and won first round by 35....couldn't throw it in the ocean and lost to Cal in round 2.

Thank you

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51538b4ce4b0865b51b1f193/53eb0ad3e4b091c76d2860a9/53eb0b08e4b09802edcc0b63/1408082733093/debbie-downer-main.jpg

whereinthehellami
03-16-2018, 08:16 AM

It will be over soon in any event and the summer doldrums will follow. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.

I agree, keep dancing like the crazy old guy at the wedding reception.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 08:28 AM

I"ll take your premonition over mine.......

Ggallagher
03-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Did anyone notice Len Elmore's comment during the game he was announcing today when he referenced the Duke-Kentucky 92 Regional Final but said Duke-Louisville instead? (and did not correct himself). He was one of the announcers at that game. I guess age is catching up with Len.

I missed that but for heavens' sake, how many times did the announcer in our game mention our Javelin DeLavalier - I think he got his name right one time, maybe.

Grayson Redick
03-16-2018, 09:01 AM

Great post - was definitely a 3-2 zone in the second half. Sprinkled it in earlier in the year at Miami IIRC. Coach has been masterful at allowing his zone defense to morph based on how the other team plans their attack. The full court trap can be aggressive or just enough to take time off the shot clock. Our 2-3 can at times look like a 4-1 zone and Carter owns the paint. That is my favorite look as long as opposing teams can't make elbow jumpers.

WVDUKEFAN
03-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Could have been a tough game if the shooting was average, Iona had some talent. Glad Duval was hitting threes, hopefully teams will start guarding him so he can beat them on the dribble more.

He's honestly not a "bad" shooter from the top of the key. The 3 ball isn't his strong suit, but he can hit from the top often enough to stretch the defense. He's hit a couple of big threes this season to get us going.

dyedwab
03-16-2018, 09:59 AM
Great post - was definitely a 3-2 zone in the second half. Sprinkled it in earlier in the year at Miami IIRC. Coach has been masterful at allowing his zone defense to morph based on how the other team plans their attack. The full court trap can be aggressive or just enough to take time off the shot clock. Our 2-3 can at times look like a 4-1 zone and Carter owns the paint. That is my favorite look as long as opposing teams can't make elbow jumpers.

Here's the Chronicle article with players talking about the switch to the 3-2 - with Grayson basically confirming that we hadn't really done a lot of that before...

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/03/duke-mens-basketball-implements-3-2-zone-to-limit-3-pointers-in-victory

devildeac
03-16-2018, 10:05 AM

Careful now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z2ds0KeqLc

This was the one recorded after removing the clear plastic covering from the lens.

(Yep, I still remember your engineering expertise, Ozzie. :rolleyes:)

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7tRCfSuMTY

jjasper0729
03-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know where to get the video of the postgame press conference?

bedeviled
03-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know where to get the video of the postgame press conference?Yes. And, in case you'd like to see it, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1yd27O1tu4
ETA: I should have queued it up to the 6 minute mark. Apologies.

Steven43
03-16-2018, 01:21 PM
I was in insane shape back in high school (we would do conditioning drills/exercises 3 hours a day before our 3 hour practice)
Wait....you did three hours of conditioning BEFORE each three-hour practice?! Did you have homework and studying for exams? How much sleep did you get? Which sport? Crazy stuff, man.

jv001
03-16-2018, 01:49 PM
Yes. And, in case you'd like to see it, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1yd27O1tu4
ETA: I should have queued it up to the 6 minute mark. Apologies.

When asked about his first NCAA experience, Coach K said it was 1984 when Johnny Dawkins got under cut by Detliff Schrimpf and not called. I remember it as well. Yeh, Duke get's all the calls. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 03:14 PM
When asked about his first NCAA experience, Coach K said it was 1984 when Johnny Dawkins got under cut by Detliff Schrimpf and not called. I remember it as well. Yeh, Duke get's all the calls. GoDuke!

Well, the "Duke gets all the calls" is ridiculous and childish. But in fairness, no one was saying that in 84. By the end of 92, however....

jv001
03-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Well, the "Duke gets all the calls" is ridiculous and childish. But in fairness, no one was saying that in 84. By the end of 92, however...

I'm pretty sure it started with Billy Packer's comments. GoDuke!