PDA

View Full Version : Live Practice Feed From Pittsburgh

WVDUKEFAN
03-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Anyone who has Facebook can watch the practice.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeMBB/videos/10156310757624456/?notif_id=1521049218964004&notif_t=live_video

Truth&Justise
03-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Can't watch it now (work), but would appreciate any insight on how Duvall, Carter, and any other injured guys look.

chrishoke
03-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Duvall dunking!

Spanarkel
03-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Duvall dunking!

Jose Fonseca, trainer of the year!

chrishoke
03-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Grayson signing autographs!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 01:58 PM
I had no idea that MB3 is the grandson of Joe Caldwell - one of the early Carolina Cougars, a player who jumped from the NBA to the ABA. As a very young kid I saw the Cougars and Pogo Joe Caldwell.

I can say this - Marvin comes by his jumping ability honestly.

PROGRAMMING NOTE: some bed wetting snowflake moron from USA TODAY decided to bring politics into the discussion at the 2 hour 23 minute 00 second mark.....avoid.

dukebluesincebirth
03-14-2018, 02:21 PM
I had no idea that MB3 is the grandson of Joe Caldwell - one of the early Carolina Cougars, a player who jumped from the NBA to the ABA. As a very young kid I saw the Cougars and Pogo Joe Caldwell.

PROGRAMMING NOTE: some bed wetting snowflake moron from USA TODAY decided to bring politics into the discussion at the 2 hour 23 minute 00 second mark....avoid.

Thanks for sharing... I'm not old enough to have seen Caldwell play, but I googled him and found an old clip of an ABA all star game. Holy cow! Guess what stood out about Mr. Caldwell? An amazing second jump off the vertical when rebounding! One of his plays looks JUST like Marvin! Just like grandpa! Pretty :cool:

kAzE
03-14-2018, 02:27 PM
I just saw Jack White do a full extension windmill dunk . . . that was unexpected.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 02:30 PM
Thanks for sharing... I'm not old enough to have seen Caldwell play, but I googled him and found an old clip of an ABA all star game. Holy cow! Guess what stood out about Mr. Caldwell? An amazing second jump off the vertical when rebounding! One of his plays looks JUST like Marvin! Just like grandpa! Pretty :cool:

That second jump...that's why he was called Pogo Joe...and yes, we've seen that second (and third) ups in blue and white this season.

OFF TOPIC: Google Connie Hawkins is you want to really see some old ABA dunks that will knock your socks off...held the bball like a tennis ball...

devildeac
03-14-2018, 03:06 PM
I just saw Jack White do a full extension windmill dunk . . . that was unexpected.

Great to read that he threw it down under intense media scrutiny.

(Sorry, I'll show myself out.)

dukelifer
03-14-2018, 03:09 PM

PROGRAMMING NOTE: some bed wetting snowflake moron from USA TODAY decided to bring politics into the discussion at the 2 hour 23 minute 00 second mark....avoid.

Pogo Joe in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpjVCnkjTRc

Billy Dat
03-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Tricky is jumping pretty well off that ankle, Wendell looks ok, too.....LET'S GO!!!!!!!

JasonEvans
03-14-2018, 03:19 PM
All that matters is that both Carter and Duval are practicing and appear to be at full strength.

That
is
good!

proelitedota
03-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Too many blown wind-mills and reverse dunks. We have to make those freebies in the game!

jv001
03-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Did you see Pogo Joe play with the Cougars? I drove from Rockingham County to Greensboro to see them play many times. Bob Verga played with them as well. I was blessed to meet Joe and I can tell you he was fun to be around. GoDuke!

budwom
03-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Did you see Pogo Joe play with the Cougars? I drove from Rockingham County to Greensboro to see them play many times. Bob Verga played with them as well. I was blessed to meet Joe and I can tell you he was fun to be around. GoDuke!

I saw Joe's first game as a Cougar...they had just signed him, he was at least 20 lbs overweight...and clearly the best player on the court by a wide margin.

CDu
03-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Good night, DeLaurier's free throw stroke is rough to watch! Huge hitch between his "lift" and his release, means he is getting no use of his legs on his shot (all arms). And he's on his tiptoes, which can't help his balance. And just a lot of "noise" in the stroke overall. Yuck!

Hopefully he gets that worked out before next year.

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Good night, DeLaurier's free throw stroke is rough to watch! Huge hitch between his "lift" and his release, means he is getting no use of his legs on his shot (all arms). And he's on his tiptoes, which can't help his balance. And just a lot of "noise" in the stroke overall. Yuck!

But DeLaurier will develop a mid-range game to keep defenses honest, right? ;)

elvis14
03-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Anyone who has Facebook can watch the practice.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeMBB/videos/10156310757624456/?notif_id=1521049218964004&notif_t=live_video

Thanks for the link this is fun to watch. Wish I could have tuned in early enough to see the USA Today report too.

kAzE
03-14-2018, 04:06 PM

Maybe if he takes amile-llion jump shots this summer.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 04:37 PM

I did, in Raleigh...big Verga fan since he was a Dukie, but too young to remember him at Duke. Randy Denton was a Cougar for a bit. There was Coach Bones McKinney...... I saw Dr. J as a Virginia Squire. The NBA fans never saw the real Dr. J....the Julius of the ABA was younger and an even better leaper.

I was at a game in Raleigh that is one of the all time trivia questions for basketball: only game where two glass backboards were shattered in the same game, by the same person.

No on ever gets that right....take a shot.

devildeac
03-14-2018, 04:42 PM
I did, in Raleigh...big Verga fan since he was a Dukie, but too young to remember him at Duke. Randy Denton was a Cougar for a bit. There was Coach Bones McKinney... I saw Dr. J as a Virginia Squire. The NBA fans never saw the real Dr. J...the Julius of the ABA was younger and an even better leaper.

I was at a game in Raleigh that is one of the all time trivia questions for basketball: only game where two glass backboards were shattered in the same game, by the same person.

No on ever gets that right...take a shot.

Well, it wasn't in Raleigh, but:

http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/news/2-shattered-backboards-1-game

This one's from Raleigh:

http://www.remembertheaba.com/FanMemories/CougarsFanMemories.html

Looks like it's happened twice. Didn't research any more occasions.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Well, it wasn't in Raleigh, but:

http://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/news/2-shattered-backboards-1-game

Well that was in Ecuador, and an unofficial game. I'm talking about a real pro game (albeit ABA). It was Charlie Helicopter Hentz of the Pittsburgh Condors versus the Cougars in Raleigh's Dorton Arena. Duke's Randy Denton was in that game for the Cougars FWIW. I think Verga was still on the team too.

Some links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hentz

now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

UPDATE: two different players broke the boards in the Ecuador game, and it was fairly recent apparently.

devildeac
03-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Well that was in Ecuador, and an unofficial game. I'm talking about a real pro game (albeit ABA). It was Charlie Helicopter Hentz of the Pittsburgh Condors versus the Cougars in Raleigh's Dorton Arena. Duke's Randy Denton was in that game for the Cougars FWIW. I think Verga was still on the team too.

Some links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hentz

now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

UPDATE: two different players broke the boards in the Ecuador game, and it was fairly recent apparently.

Unofficial game? With the Globetrotters involved? WTH?

Next thing you'll be telling me is that tv teddy is a top ncaa MBB referee :rolleyes:.

ncexnyc
03-14-2018, 05:24 PM
I did, in Raleigh...big Verga fan since he was a Dukie, but too young to remember him at Duke. Randy Denton was a Cougar for a bit. There was Coach Bones McKinney... I saw Dr. J as a Virginia Squire. The NBA fans never saw the real Dr. J...the Julius of the ABA was younger and an even better leaper.

No on ever gets that right...take a shot.

Amen! Dr. J doesn't get the credit he deserves and that's true about all the great players who laced them up before the advent of ESPN. I get sick of hearing MJ this and MJ that, especially when it comes to him taking off from the free throw line during the Slam Dunk contest. Dr. J did that in a playoff game against the Denver Nuggets while he was playing for the Nets. He came around a screen and took off from the free throw line and slammed it home. Despite being a diehard Knicks fan, I was in complete awe of this play and the memory of this filled me with dread when Dr. J finally signed with the 76'ers.

luvdahops
03-14-2018, 05:31 PM
Pogo Joe in action

That was really cool to watch. Thanks for linking. I wish I could have seem more of the ABA as a youngster (born in 1963). Most of what I have seen is from very brief news clips back in the day and grainy videos like this one, plus the terrific "Loose Balls" feature from the mid 90s.

In addition to great hops, Pogo Joe also had some impressively modern moves. Especially, the crossover dribble across the lane, finishing with a right handed reverse layup. I am only slightly exaggerating when I say that I thought Kyrie invented that (though he may have perfected it).

chrishoke
03-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Pogo Joe in action

Looks like a candidate to play with Uncle Drew.

indy1duke
03-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Since we are picking on DeLaurier’s shooting stroke i can tell you I watched him in warmups before a recent game. He was shooting spot up three point shots and missing them all. His shooting percentage could not have exceeded 10%. I am always amazed when I see a fabulous athlete who cannot hit the broad side of a barn. It just seems like if they work with a shooting coach and practiced their shot they would get good. In DeLaurier’s case if he just had one spot on the floor, preferably in the corner where he could confidently make 35 to 40% of those shots our perception of his offensive capabilities would change dramatically. Maybe next year.

subzero02
03-14-2018, 07:00 PM

If I were Javin, the number 3 and the letter D would constantly be going through my head this offseason.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 07:30 PM
FYI Harvard plays Marquette tonight in the NIT....

jv001
03-14-2018, 07:40 PM
I saw Joe's first game as a Cougar...they had just signed him, he was at least 20 lbs overweight...and clearly the best player on the court by a wide margin.

I was there as well. I also was in attendance for Wendell Ladner's first game with the Cougars. Those were some good days. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 07:42 PM
I was there as well. I also was in attendance for Wendell Ladner's first game with the Cougars. Those were some good days. GoDuke!

Big Daddy Ladner......what a blast from the past....when he was with the Kentucky Colonels, he would kill the Cougars. Wasn't he killed in a crash?

jv001
03-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Big Daddy Ladner...what a blast from the past...when he was with the Kentucky Colonels, he would kill the Cougars. Wasn't he killed in a crash?

Yes he was, but I can't remember if it was a car crash or plane crash. I'm sure Jim Sumner knows. Billy Cunningham was there as player and coach, Bones was the coach for a while, Verga, Doug Moe, among several ACC players. The team was fun to watch because of the ACC players on the team. Miss those days. GoDuke!

DoubleDukeDNA
03-14-2018, 08:41 PM
For those of you who have been discussing Joe Caldwell and the Carolina Cougars, here's a link to this month's cover story in the O. Henry Magazine (Greensboro, NC) on their history.

http://www.ohenrymag.com/cougar-madness/

Apologies for messing up the link. Reader for 20 years, first-time poster!