PDA

View Full Version : Can You Name This Player?

UrinalCake
03-13-2018, 01:38 PM
A fun game while we wait for the games to start. Can you name this former Duke player? I've listed his career stats below, alongside Grayson Allen's which are remarkably similar. No Googling!

Min Pts FG% 3PT% FT% Reb Asst Stl Blk TO
Player X 33.0 14.4 40.6 38.1 86.1 3.6 3.1 1.4 0.2 1.5
Grayson Allen 27.6 14.1 43.4 38.3 83.4 3.2 3.0 1.0 0.1 1.7

kAzE
03-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Scheyer?

dukeSF
03-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Jon Scheyer?

FerryFor50
03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
A fun game while we wait for the games to start. Can you name this former Duke player? I've listed his career stats below, alongside Grayson Allen's which are remarkably similar. No Googling!

Interesting. The stats are skewed a bit by Allen averaging 9.2 minutes per game his freshman year. Scheyer averaged 33.7.

Let's compare Scheyer's senior season (title year) with Allen's (hopefully title).

Jon Scheyer 36.8 18.2 39.3 38.3 87.8 3.6 4.9 1.6 0.3 1.6
Grayson Allen 35.1 15.7 42.9 37.7 85.3 3.5 4.5 1.7 0.1 2.3

Pretty comparable all the way until you get to the turnovers... (though Scheyer did score 3 more points per game)

And man, I wish we had 2016 Allen. Beast mode.

UrinalCake
03-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Jeez, clearly I need to come up with harder questions. Nice work everyone. I've been thinking a lot lately about Grayson's career and where it will go down within Duke history. Some fans think we should consider raising his jersey. Others think he's been a disappointment. Using Scheyer as a frame of reference is kind of a neat way of looking at it. Nobody that I'm aware of has ever argued that Scheyer's jersey should be retired, yet his career numbers and accomplishments are very similar. They were also both similarly ranked out of high school (Allen RSCI #24, Scheyer #28)

Here's a thought exercise. What if you changed the order of Grayson's seasons so that they went

Freshman year
Junior year
Senior year
Sophomore year

In other words, what if his breakout sophomore year where he averaged 21.6 points and was a contender for National POY happened at the end of his career, and he had naturally trended upwards each season? And what if he won a National Title in his fourth year rather than his first? Would we look at him any differently? Part of me thinks that our expectations got thrown out of whack by how good he was that year.

wilson
03-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Apropos of jerseys in rafters and whatnot...
I think there is a non-insignificant proportion of Duke fans who don't think Grayson has been the best representative/ambassador for the program. Sure, he has shouldered an inordinate amount of pressure and criticism, but he has also invited a lot of it. I don't/wouldn't support his jersey being retired, and I know a lot of other Blue Devils who feel similarly.

/Hey, look at that elephant in the room!

CDu
03-13-2018, 02:24 PM
I think there is a non-insignificant proportion of Duke fans who don't think Grayson has been the best representative/ambassador for the program. Sure, he has shouldered an inordinate amount of pressure and criticism, but he has also invited a lot of it. I don't/wouldn't support his jersey being retired, and I know a lot of other Blue Devils who feel similarly.

I think this is a fair opinion to have. While I do think that his transgressions have been overanalyzed by the media (strange that Justise Winslow didn't get the media coverage for his two very similar incidents, for example), I think it is also fair to say that he hasn't helped his cause by repeating them.

wilson
03-13-2018, 02:28 PM
I think this is a fair opinion to have. While I do think that his transgressions have been overanalyzed by the media (strange that Justise Winslow didn't get the media coverage for his two very similar incidents, for example), I think it is also fair to say that he hasn't helped his cause by repeating them.Bingo on the bolded part. Grayson has absolutely been overanalyzed, but he knew on Day 1 that such is the lot of any Duke player, and he has on multiple occasions failed to learn from his mistakes.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2018, 02:34 PM
I think this is a fair opinion to have. While I do think that his transgressions have been overanalyzed by the media (strange that Justise Winslow didn't get the media coverage for his two very similar incidents, for example), I think it is also fair to say that he hasn't helped his cause by repeating them.

Grayson is arguably one of the most polarized players in terms of likability. Not only across the country, but also within the Duke community. I have a ton of Duke friends who love the guy and know quite a few who are counting the days until his graduation.

And, for the record, I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Did you like every classmate at Duke? Did you not like a few folks that you didn't know personally? To me, it's perfectly natural to have these feelings.

I'm not sure where I stand. I like the dude and feel he got an unfair rep in college, but that rep wasn't unfounded (it was exacerbated by the media. That's an understatement). I do not put Grayson in the same "super likability" category as Cook, N Smith, Scheyer, Redick, etc, but I don't put him in the "OAD" category either (ie players who I couldn't have an emotional attachment to because they just weren't here long enough).

kAzE
03-13-2018, 02:39 PM
Jeez, clearly I need to come up with harder questions.

I probably had an unfair advantage, since i had recently looked at Jon's career stats and it stuck out to me that he only shot 40% over his career. That's what gave it away.

FerryFor50
03-13-2018, 02:39 PM
So this comparison was to Jon Scheyer. If we're talking "jersey retirement," Scheyer doesn't have his retired. Neither does Nolan Smith. The last jersey to be retired was JJ Redick. Redick was pretty reviled by non-Duke fans, but not for tripping people. Plus, he was way better than Allen in his career.

Allen doesn't deserve to have a jersey retired for a variety of reasons - including how good he was at Duke (you can't just throw out his freshman year because he didn't play much, nor his junior year because of his self-inflicted drama). Good, solid player. Wildly inconsistent at times. If we could hang jerseys just for a single season performance, his sophomore year would qualify.

devilseven
03-13-2018, 02:50 PM
I think one thing that is being overlooked is that Grayson sacrificed literally millions of dollars when he returned to Duke instead of going pro. How many others have done that? Other than reasons stated above, his return and loyalty to Duke puts him in an unique category.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2018, 02:56 PM
I think one thing that is being overlooked is that Grayson sacrificed literally millions of dollars when he returned to Duke instead of going pro. How many others have done that? Other than reasons stated above, his return and loyalty to Duke puts him in an unique category.

At Duke? Plenty.

Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler, Shelden Williams, Josh McRoberts all come to mind.

Had Grayson had as good a season or better than his sophomore year in his junior year, there is no doubt in my mind he would have left last year.

wilson
03-13-2018, 02:57 PM
I think one thing that is being overlooked is that Grayson sacrificed literally millions of dollars when he returned to Duke instead of going pro. How many others have done that? Other than reasons stated above, his return and loyalty to Duke puts him in an unique category.Counterpoint: Grayson came back in hopes of rehabilitating his draft position, which was damaged by his non-basketball issues and a statistically underwhelming junior season.
I don't think he should be given much credit for "loyalty" in this situation, especially for the purposes of jersey retirement.

elvis14
03-13-2018, 02:58 PM
For me, the more I hear people be anti-Grayson because of "the incidents" the more he has my support. Someone asked me about the butt screen vs UNCheat today at lunch. I laughed out loud and said that I loved it and that I love this kid. Sorry guys, the media bias against this kid makes me support him more, not less. More than one of these "incidents" were cases where a F1 was called because a ref missed a call, looked at a replay and realized they wanted to call something and gave the kid an F1. Meanwhile other players are elbowing guys in the mouth with no call, no coverage, etc. I didn't think GA had done enough to have his number retired, then I read more criticism and I rethink that to "if we win again this year...."

kAzE

I believe Grayson was on track to retire his jersey until the huge shooting slump that he endured throughout most of the ACC schedule this year. I don't think his "loyalty" will change anything.

If he had played the whole year like he played during games where Marvin Bagley was out (including the MSU game), he'd probably be a first team AA and this would be a done deal.

HereBeforeCoachK
At Duke? Plenty.

Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler, Shelden Williams, Josh McRoberts all come to mind.

Had Grayson had as good a season or better than his sophomore year in his junior year, there is no doubt in my mind he would have left last year.

Perhaps true. That said, I think his soph year was better than Kennard's, and Kennard left of course. I"ll give Grayson credit for coming back as a Jr. Ended up not being a great choice for him, or so it would appear now.

elvis14
03-13-2018, 03:02 PM
Perhaps true. That said, I think his soph year was better than Kennard's, and Kennard left of course. I"ll give Grayson credit for coming back as a Jr. Ended up not being a great choice for him, or so it would appear now.

Not sure why that ended up not being a great choice. He's loved his time at Duke, is about to win his second national championship and will soon be playing in the NBA :)

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2018, 03:04 PM

I agree with you. I'm really impressed that he came back to graduate.

Grayson Allen may, unfortunately, become another data point for players who should have left early if getting drafted high and maximizing career $$$ is the goal (joining Kyle Singler and McBob). I don't want this to turn into another "but he got a college degree" thread, but it is worth mentioning.

devilseven
03-13-2018, 03:10 PM
Counterpoint: Grayson came back in hopes of rehabilitating his draft position, which was damaged by his non-basketball issues and a statistically underwhelming junior season.
I don't think he should be given much credit for "loyalty" in this situation, especially for the purposes of jersey retirement.

I have not and do not advocate jersey retirement. I am only saying that he should be given some respect instead of the holier than thou criticism of some Duke fans. Also, his monetary sacrifices were vastly more that the other players mentioned. He was in the conversation for national player of the year. Were any of the others?

jv001
03-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Good thread and I'll offer this:
I don't think his #3 goes in the rafters because Grayson's numbers/accomplishments do not warrant it. This coming from a big fan of Grayson. There are too many great players that do not have their jerseys up in the rafters, so Grayson will just have to go down in Duke history as one of my favorites.

But if I had to list the name of players that have given their all for Duke University, Grayson would be at the top of my list. He's been a great student athlete with emphasis on student(do you hear me cheats), he's been a player that doesn't mind going to the floor for loose balls or even into the stands for that matter. He stepped up his freshman season to take the place of Rasheed in the rotation and pretty much save our postseason. He stayed around for 4 years because he loves Duke University. His senior year, he deferred to our talented freshmen for the betterment of the team. He has asked to get the ball down low to Marvin and Wendell and in the meantime he's been asked to hunt his shot. That can't be easy.
Grayson has too many fans(some Duke fans) list his temper tantrums as reason to not like him. I wonder if those fans have not had transgressions in their life and would be the first to cast stones upon Grayson. I know I couldn't. Sorry to get on this rant, and I guess there's another thread for this but I just had it on my mind. I'm going to enjoy the rest of this season with our freshmen and our senior captain. I'll miss them. God bless and GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2018, 03:18 PM
I have not and do not advocate jersey retirement. I am only saying that he should be given some respect instead of the holier than thou criticism of some Duke fans. Also, his monetary sacrifices were vastly more that the other players mentioned. He was in the conversation for national player of the year. Were any of the others?

No they weren't. McBob was considered a lottery pick before he decided to return to Duke. Some even mentioned top 5 pick. POY has no barring on your monetary value to the NBA. Brunson/Graham - two of the POY frontrunners - aren't exactly future NBA All-Stars.

devilseven
03-13-2018, 03:27 PM
No they weren't. McBob was considered a lottery pick before he decided to return to Duke. Some even mentioned top 5 pick. POY has no barring on your monetary value to the NBA. Brunson/Graham - two of the POY frontrunners - aren't exactly future NBA All-Stars.
Grayson certainly was considered a lottery pick after his sophomore season.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Grayson certainly was considered a lottery pick after his sophomore season.

No he wasn't. Grayson was considered a first rounder. Not a lottery pick.

devilseven
03-13-2018, 03:55 PM
No he wasn't. Grayson was considered a first rounder. Not a lottery pick.

I beg to differ, sir.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2018, 04:11 PM
I beg to differ, sir.

All dated from his sophomore year. They ALL say first round pick. If he was lottery - or potential lottery - they'd mention that.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/nba-draft-2016-grayson-allen-scouting-report/11jap1kybbzqo1rghril8z48ax
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/4/6/11377702/grayson-allen-duke-nba-draft-2016-return
https://nesn.com/2016/04/grayson-allen-to-forgo-2016-nba-draft-return-to-duke-for-junior-season/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2698462-grayson-allen-says-he-doesnt-regret-forgoing-2016-nba-draft-to-return-to-duke

FerryFor50
03-13-2018, 04:16 PM
All dated from his sophomore year. They ALL say first round pick. If he was lottery - or potential lottery - they'd mention that.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/nba-draft-2016-grayson-allen-scouting-report/11jap1kybbzqo1rghril8z48ax
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/4/6/11377702/grayson-allen-duke-nba-draft-2016-return
https://nesn.com/2016/04/grayson-allen-to-forgo-2016-nba-draft-return-to-duke-for-junior-season/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2698462-grayson-allen-says-he-doesnt-regret-forgoing-2016-nba-draft-to-return-to-duke

Yea he was always projected in the 18-30 range. Never a lottery guy.

devilseven
03-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Yea he was always projected in the 18-30 range. Never a lottery guy.

I still think he deserves much respect. I guess I'm outnumbered.

FerryFor50
03-13-2018, 04:38 PM
I still think he deserves much respect. I guess I'm outnumbered.

I don't think this is about respect. This is about his draft status.

He was projected low enough in the first round that it made sense to come back to try to improve his stock. Unfortunately for him, it blew up in his face that season and he had no choice but to try again this season.

I don't question his love for Duke or anything; I just think he gambled a bit his junior season to try to get higher and had no option his senior season.

That said, regardless of his sacrifice and the motives, it doesn't mean he should get his jersey retired.

jv001
03-13-2018, 04:40 PM

He was projected low enough in the first round that it made sense to come back to try to improve his stock. Unfortunately for him, it blew up in his face that season and he had no choice but to try again this season.

I don't question his love for Duke or anything; I just think he gambled a bit his junior season to try to get higher and had no option his senior season.

That said, regardless of his sacrifice and the motives, it doesn't mean he should get his jersey retired.

Then again, he might just have loved his time at Duke University. We really don't know what went through Grayson's mind. GoDuke!

FerryFor50
03-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Then again, he might just have loved his time at Duke University. We really don't know what went through Grayson's mind. GoDuke!

I'm not doubting he did. But Jabari Parker also said he loved his time there. As did Jahlil Okafor.

And both left to be lottery picks.

I don't think leaving early and loving Duke have to be mutually exclusive. And I wouldn't have blamed Allen for leaving after his sophomore season at all if he'd been promised a top 10 pick.

killerleft
03-13-2018, 04:47 PM

And yet, it might be fair to say that Grayson's transgressions put together don't add up to the foul that wasn't called on Joel Berry against Virginia in the ACC Tournament. That is a fair perspective, in my opinion.

wilson
03-13-2018, 05:17 PM

That said, regardless of his sacrifice and the motives, it doesn't mean he should get his jersey retired.Precisely.

It is totally possible and perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that Grayson is worthy of our appreciation and respect, and that he’s been a four-year player largely due to an unanticipated decline in his performance after his sophomore season, and that he’s been partly a victim of the heightened scrutiny all Duke players endure, and that many of his image problems are partly self-inflicted.
The above series of observations are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Herbie
03-13-2018, 05:34 PM

Trajan Langdon 28.9 14.5 45.1 42.6 86.2 2.9 1.9 .9 .2

House G
03-13-2018, 06:03 PM
Apparently I have a lot of free time also. Can you name this player?

PPG. RPG. APG. SPG. BPG. FG%. FG3%. FT%
Marvin Bagley. 21.1 11.5. 1.6. 0.9. 1.0. 60%. 37%. 62%
Player X. 22.2. 10. 2.2. 1.6. 0.9. 45%. 34%. 70%

Hint: He was a one-and-done
He won a National Championship
He was not a concensus first team AA

UrinalCake
03-13-2018, 06:05 PM
My understanding was that after his sophomore year, he and the academic support staff came up with a plan to graduate in three years. So he came back, overloaded on clssses in the summer and fall semester, and the plan was for him to leave after his junior year with his degree. I would assume he felt like the NBA would still be there so it was a way to fulfill his dream of graduating plus having an NBA career.

Then all the injuries threw a wrench into his plans. I don’t know if he would have gone first round after his junior year, and I also don’t know if he was even healthy enough for the combine. I thought I remembered him having surgery for a herniated disk last summer. Anyways, his career has had many ups and downs, hopefully it can end where it started with another title.

House G
03-13-2018, 06:08 PM

Sorry about my chart lol—I did the best I could

kAzE
03-13-2018, 06:13 PM

Carmelo Anthony

mkirsh
03-13-2018, 06:14 PM

Melo? He wasn’t 1st Team AA?

Wander
03-13-2018, 06:14 PM
Nobody that I'm aware of has ever argued that Scheyer's jersey should be retired

Clearly, you don't remember Jumbo.

wilson
03-13-2018, 06:16 PM
Clearly, you don't remember Jumbo.[insert condescension here]

House G
03-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Carmelo Anthony

Very nice!

House G
03-13-2018, 06:22 PM
Melo? He wasn’t 1st Team AA?

Not consensus—only on one of the teams.

slower
03-13-2018, 06:30 PM
Whether or not Grayson gets his number retired - and he almost assuredly won't - the kid is a dead-solid Duke legend. Period.

He and Singler may go down as the last of the great warriors who could have gone early, but stuck around for 4 years.

For better or worse (mostly better), people will talk about him for years, long after memories of Jabari Parker, Austin Rivers, Brandon Ingram, Luke Kennard and many others begin to fade.

UrinalCake
03-13-2018, 09:42 PM
Ok here's another one. If you guys get this in two minutes again, I will be seriously impressed.

Player X (career) 28.1 9.6 49.3 28.3 57.7 4.5 4.2 2.3 0.2 2.2
Trevon Duval 29.2 9.9 42.4 27.0 57.8 2.1 5.5 1.5 0.2 2.7

jv001
03-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Ok here's another one. If you guys get this in two minutes again, I will be seriously impressed.

Matt Jones???

jv001
03-13-2018, 10:09 PM
Matt Jones???

Nope, not Matt Jones. GoDuke!

FerryFor50
03-13-2018, 10:13 PM

I can't even get this one by googling.

jv001
03-13-2018, 10:24 PM
I can't even get this one by googling.

Ha, I tried that and couldn't find anything either. I guess with 5+ assists pg he would be a point guard. You don't think the player is a womens player? If so I'll never get it.:cool: GoDuke!

devilsince1977
03-13-2018, 10:30 PM
I want to say Rondo.

FerryFor50
03-13-2018, 10:31 PM
I want to say Rondo.

Bingo. Didn't find it because I was looking at Duke players. :cool:

UrinalCake
03-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Yep, it’s Rondo. Comparison is a little off because he played two years at Kentucky. But he’s probably the best comp for Duval, moreso than Derrick Rose IMO.

Steven43
03-14-2018, 12:22 AM
For me, the more I hear people be anti-Grayson because of "the incidents" the more he has my support. Someone asked me about the butt screen vs UNCheat today at lunch. I laughed out loud and said that I loved it and that I love this kid. Sorry guys, the media bias against this kid makes me support him more, not less. More than one of these "incidents" were cases where a F1 was called because a ref missed a call, looked at a replay and realized they wanted to call something and gave the kid an F1. Meanwhile other players are elbowing guys in the mouth with no call, no coverage, etc. I didn't think GA had done enough to have his number retired, then I read more criticism and I rethink that to "if we win again this year..."
This.
Grayson is one of my all-time favorite college basketball players. I will miss him tremendously. This is a young man who brings the intensity game after game after game and NEVER shies away from a challenge. Always ready to dive on the floor for a loose ball at any moment, no matter the score or the situation. He gives me confidence that we always have a chance against any opponent. He is so versatile and exciting on offense that he can make a dagger three from NBA range on one play and then one minute later a spectacular dunk that leads the Sportscenter highlights. Could JJ (who I loved) do that? Answer: Nope

His tripping incidents were so overplayed it’s beyond ridiculous. These were minor events compared to what other players do during just about EVERY college basketball game. The resultant abuse and pure poisonous bile he has endured from immature and hateful simpletons would have completely broken just about any other young man. But here is Grayson—battered but unbowed— in his senior season still leading our beloved Blue Devils night after abusive night into hostile territory. Is it his fault that there are so many petty people who despise him (mostly out of jealousy, I believe) because he proudly wears the DUKE uniform, is good-looking, is vocal about his belief in Christianity, is often the most captivating player on the court, is a great scholar-athlete, has a flair for the dramatic, and helped lead his team as a FRESHMAN to the National Championship?

And he’s not done yet, folks. I have a strong feeling some special moments are still to come for Grayson and his team whilst he still wears the Duke Blue.

UrinalCake
03-14-2018, 12:15 PM
I should just go ahead and tell my boss I’m not getting any work done this week.

Player X 27.4 16.6 57.4 48.5 80.6 7.8 1.8 1.6 1.0 2.7
Wendell Carter 27.1 13.8 56.4 46.3 73.3 9.3 2.1 0.8 2.2 2.0

FerryFor50
03-14-2018, 12:31 PM
I should just go ahead and tell my boss I’m not getting any work done this week.

Player X 27.4 16.6 57.4 48.5 80.6 7.8 1.8 1.6 1.0 2.7
Wendell Carter 27.1 13.8 56.4 46.3 73.3 9.3 2.1 0.8 2.2 2.0

Laettner!

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Laettner!

Wait, seriously? Laettner averaged only 27 min a game in his career?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

When did Coach K start playing his best players 35+ min per game?

FerryFor50
03-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Wait, seriously? Laettner averaged only 27 min a game in his career?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

When did Coach K start playing his best players 35+ min per game?

Averaged 17 mpg as a freshman.

32 mpg as a senior.

flyingdutchdevil
03-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Averaged 17 mpg as a freshman.

32 mpg as a senior.

Both of those numbers are shocking, given Laettner's legendary UCONN game as a freshman.

Also, 32 minutes? If this was 2018, pretty sure he'd average 39.5 min.

FerryFor50
03-14-2018, 01:25 PM
Both of those numbers are shocking, given Laettner's legendary UCONN game as a freshman.

Probably more. And Grant Hill would have transferred.

CDu
03-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Probably more. And Grant Hill would have transferred.

Hill would have stayed, but Cherokee Parks (13 mpg) or Antonio Lang (22 mpg) might have transferred.

FerryFor50
03-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Hill would have stayed, but Cherokee Parks (13 mpg) or Antonio Lang (22 mpg) might have transferred.

I was mostly kidding, but your examples are better. :)

Spanarkel
03-14-2018, 01:47 PM

Laettner was a sophomore(sorry to nitpick).

UrinalCake
03-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Pretty amazing how well Carter’s numbers as a freshman stack up to arguably the greatest college basketball player ever.

devildeac
03-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Pretty amazing how well Carter’s numbers as a freshman stack up to arguably the greatest college basketball player ever.

You might have your ceiling confused with your roof.

(:rolleyes:)

Always an interesting discussion:

http://grantland.com/features/the-50-greatest-college-basketball-players-all-time/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2018, 02:05 PM
[/B]

You might have your ceiling confused with your roof.

(:rolleyes:)

http://grantland.com/features/the-50-greatest-college-basketball-players-all-time/

Easy explanation: that list is wrong.

jv001
03-14-2018, 03:31 PM

I didn't look at the list, but David Thompson was the greatest college basketball player that I was blessed to see play. GoDuke!

elvis14
03-14-2018, 03:47 PM

That list is pretty poorly done but after seeing it I watched a few Lew Alcindor youtube videos. I was a Lakers fan as a teenager in the 80's and always liked Kareem. Looking at old footage of him in college and with the Bucks is just amazing. Just imagine if they allowed him to dunk in college.

kako
03-14-2018, 04:28 PM
[/B]

Grantland articles were like a guy at a bar shooting his mouth off, except with reasonable grammar and footnotes. And like bar guy, sometimes what he said had truth in it. Other times, it was blowhard dribble.

With that in mind, hard to disparage the top 5 in no particular order - Alcindor, Walton, Thompson, Sampson and Maravich. All were amazing players. Laettner in the top 10 of all time is correct (we here would argue the exact ranking). But here's where the list falls apart: where's Wilt Chamberlain? Walter Berry is top 10, Khalid El Amin is top 25, but Wilt doesn't make the list? Sit down, shut up and have another beer, Grantland.

left_hook_lacey
03-14-2018, 04:31 PM
I didn't look at the list, but David Thompson was the greatest college basketball player that I was blessed to see play. GoDuke!

Even Jordan has made that claim, on numerous occasions.

jv001
03-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Grantland articles were like a guy at a bar shooting his mouth off, except with reasonable grammar and footnotes. And like bar guy, sometimes what he said had truth in it. Other times, it was blowhard dribble.

With that in mind, hard to disparage the top 5 in no particular order - Alcindor, Walton, Thompson, Sampson and Maravich. All were amazing players. Laettner in the top 10 of all time is correct (we here would argue the exact ranking). But here's where the list falls apart: where's Wilt Chamberlain? Walter Berry is top 10, Khalid El Amin is top 25, but Wilt doesn't make the list? Sit down, shut up and have another beer, Grantland.

Bill Russell, Wilt, Dr. J, Larry Bird, Magic, Jerry West, Labron, I'm sure they are ranked in the top 50. Probably in the top 25? GoDuke!

d

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 08:31 PM

As a young Duke fan, my cousins were season tix holders in Reynolds....I was blessed to see the Thompson Towe Burleson teams a good bit. DT was just something totally different. I can't imagine the highlights available now if dunking were allowed back then. Towe and DT virtually invented the alley-oop. And BTW, back in the day, I don't think the Celtics could've beaten those State teams in Reynolds.

TRUE STORY: Anyone remember the mask Towe had to wear after he broke his nose? My dad was his doctor. Dad was a UNC guy. True story.

slower
03-15-2018, 06:56 AM

Well, for one thing, read the author's criteria at the beginning of the article. It explains a lot.

Also, although many of Grantland's articles WERE like a guy mouthing off at a bar (including Bill Simmons' pathological Boston-homerism), the writers were, for the most part, pretty darn good. The author or this particular article, Chuck Klosterman, is a far better writer than anybody on DBR could ever hope to be. It's just entertainment, folks - and so is college basketball.