PDA

View Full Version : Coach K

porkpa
03-12-2018, 08:23 AM
I saw him on the ESPN pre tournament show last night. For the first time, since he came to Duke, I thought he looked old and physically tired.
In terms of what he said and being aware and concise, he was the old Coach K.
But I felt that he looked physically drained. Please tell me that I am wrong.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-12-2018, 08:32 AM
I saw him on the ESPN pre tournament show last night. For the first time, since he came to Duke, I thought he looked old and physically tired.

I have thought that for several years. I had an eerie feeling of foreboding that he was going to retire at the end of the season. Of course, that was the 2015 season.

If anyone gets to call their own shots, it is K.

dukebluesincebirth
03-12-2018, 08:33 AM

Don't really know how to respond to this...I didn't see him on the show, but I've seen him on the bench throughout the season. I don't think he looks exceptionally old or tired. He could very well be tired. He's the head coach of a division I bball team that's played a long season and just gone through a tournament out of state. He works long hours, spends a tremendous amount of energy with all sorts of obligations and responsibilities. I'd probably look a whole lot more tired than K if I did his job. Plus, he just lost an hour of sleep!

porkpa
03-12-2018, 08:40 AM
That was part of my point. I saw him at the game on Friday. I thought he looked as good as he has all season - no different.
Then last night, to my far less than professional mind, I thought there was a profound difference.
Its probably due to being tired and possible sleep deprivation. At least, I hope so.

DukeFanSince1990
03-12-2018, 08:43 AM

What are you talking about? He doesn't even have gray hair yet............

Billy Dat
03-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Regardless of perception, the end is near. I've always thought 2019/2020. We are definitely in the "it could be any day" phase which is why I have no problem with his 100% pivot to the one and done. K has that saying, "Every Season is a Lifetime". That is definitely true, for him, now more than ever. Savor every game.

fraggler
03-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Can we get better titles for new threads? Just a few more words about what the thread is about would be appreciated.

BeachBlueDevil
03-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Honestly, for a man that is 71 he doesn't look it. As said in here, the end is near. I don't see him going beyond another 4 years. Then again, I could be wrong and he goes until he's 80 but I don't see that right now.

Owen Meany
03-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Wow. I would love to have Coach K's wealth and all it brings. But I'm glad I'm not subject to the public scrutiny that it brings. I normally would not discuss my thoughts on someone's physical fitness on a message board, but I will here because my observations are positive and offer a counterpoint to the OP.

Having been around Coach K on a few occasions, I was struck by how fit he is. Others have remarked the same. Not just for his age, but even compared to a much younger person. He works out daily, and is probably more active and fit than 90% of people in their 50's. It's likely he is tired at the end of a long and particularly demanding season, but I don't find that unusual. It also is quite possible (probable) that Coach K could retire in the next few years. But I saw nothing in his interviews to suggest a problem. I think it's safe to say that his health didn't change dramatically from Friday when you thought her looked well to Sunday when you thought he looked profoundly different.

wavedukefan70s
03-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Heck he doesn't look any older than my father did in his early 60's.as long as you get to 71 looks become secondary. he's putting in hours .takes longer to recover from sleep deprivation as you age.he had a knee replacement as well .it's been a long year for him.he seems to be enjoying coaching.
I saw the interview also.he didn't seem as chipper.
maybe he was tired,didn't feel like doing the interview.maybe it's tourney time and he's in battle mode.

uh_no
03-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Can we get better titles for new threads? Just a few more words about what the thread is about would be appreciated.

in this case, how about we instead just close the thread.

I'm in my 20's and sure I "look" tired sometimes. what a load of hooey. K will retire when he retires. we know it's not far off....but this is drivel.

tbyers11
03-12-2018, 09:45 AM
in this case, how about we instead just close the thread.

I'm in my 20's and sure I "look" tired sometimes. what a load of hooey. K will retire when he retires. we know it's not far off...but this is drivel.

Agreed. The man is 71 and will retire in the near future. Sooner rather than later in the grand scheme of things.

Trying to divine anything from a 5 minute TV spot doesn't add much to the discussion.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Regardless of perception, the end is near. I've always thought 2019/2020. We are definitely in the "it could be any day" phase which is why I have no problem with his 100% pivot to the one and done. K has that saying, "Every Season is a Lifetime". That is definitely true, for him, now more than ever. Savor every game.

I definitely agree that his age is one reason he's pivoted so hard to embrace the OAD model - and in his upper 60s (when he started this) - who can argue with him. Yeah, I know at some point Duke will have to ween off of this, and it may be painful, but why in the world would a 70 year old turn down the top 3 recruits in the country who want to play for him? I mean, why would a 50 year old, either, but especially a coach who is in the "any day now" phase.

I don't think K likes the OAD dynamic, but it is what it is, he is what he is, and he's been incredibly adaptable. I don't think there's any way he does not coach next season, but I wouldn't buy bananas that are too green....regarding beyond that.

As for how he looked? He looks vastly different when he's rested, and animated, and made up for TV interview, than he does when he's not. I don't think he was rested, animated or made up yesterday. Not worried about it.

jimsumner
03-12-2018, 12:06 PM
I see him up close in assorted media rooms on a regular basis. IMO, he looks better this season than he did last season.

That said, time is still undefeated.

MarkD83
03-12-2018, 12:37 PM
My feeling about Coach K is that he started out well in the interview and then starting talking about things that both Jay's experienced while they were at Duke.

That made him a bit nostalgic which makes everyone realize their age. He coached Jay Bilas 35 years ago and Jay Williams 18 years ago. That makes me feel old.

Turk
03-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Of course he looks tired.

He just got done parallel parking a train.
He just won the same lifetime achievement award twice.
He just got done giving the team Russian lessons in French.

It's tough doing all the things that Patrick Davidson can do when you're 71....

Phoenix22
03-12-2018, 12:46 PM
In an interview earlier in the season he said, "I did not get my knee replaced so that I could retire."

MCFinARL
03-12-2018, 12:52 PM
That was part of my point. I saw him at the game on Friday. I thought he looked as good as he has all season - no different.
Then last night, to my far less than professional mind, I thought there was a profound difference.
Its probably due to being tired and possible sleep deprivation. At least, I hope so.

Well, people look a lot different in close up on an HDTV camera than they do when you see them across a room when they are actively engaged in their work. For a guy who is over 70 and has had--3? 4? surgeries over the last year or so, he looks pretty good to me.

Mike Corey
03-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Enjoy every second we've got with Coach K at the helm.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Enjoy every second we've got with Coach K at the helm.

This, exactly. All the more reason to live in the moment.

rsvman
03-12-2018, 01:06 PM
He looked fine to me, and yes, I am a doctor. Lighting in that room is likely what made you think he looked worse.
He didn't enjoy the question about Grayson and buttgate, but otherwise I think he was the same as always. I don't think he enjoys those interviews, and that question just reinforced his dislike.

dukejim1
03-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Always looks tired to me at this time of year. He says he is only worried about Iona but over the years he has stated the staff builds scouting reports on Oklahoma and Rhode Island, plus Iona. With the age of this team they must really focus on preparing them mentally, physically, and strategically. He has added media demands and recruiting never stops. I admire his stamina without consideration for age, the key is how the batteries charge after the season. I see him leaving like Dean did later in a summer when he realizes the necessary high level drive doesn't return.

chris13
03-12-2018, 02:24 PM
Always looks tired to me at this time of year. He says he is only worried about Iona but over the years he has stated the staff builds scouting reports on Oklahoma and Rhode Island, plus Iona. With the age of this team they must really focus on preparing them mentally, physically, and strategically. He has added media demands and recruiting never stops. I admire his stamina without consideration for age, the key is how the batteries charge after the season. I see him leaving like Dean did later in a summer when he realizes the necessary high level drive doesn't return.

I can't imagine how insane the work lives of D1 head coaches and assistants are this time of year.

I don't think 71 is as "old" as it was a generation ago, especially for folks with significant resources who eat right, work out, don't smoke or drink to excess. K I'm sure has access to whatever concierge service Duke Medicine offers, he's had multiple joints replaced, he works out, etc.

It's fascinating to me how every major American sport has a Medicare eligible coach at the top. Nick Saban is 66. Bill Belichick is 66. Gregg Popovich is 69.

There's a plethora of old coaches in the ACC. K, Boeheim, Roy, Jim Larranaga, Leonard Hamilton.

Didn't mean for this post to read like an AARP commercial.

PackMan97
03-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Didn't mean for this post to read like an AARP commercial.

I wonder at what point Coach K changed his sale pitch to parents from "I'll treat your child like he was one of my kids" to "I'll treat your child like he was one of my grandkids."

:cool:

AZLA
03-12-2018, 04:26 PM

I actually had the exact opposite reaction. He was on point, sharp, and salient. Was casual on a Sunday afternoon.

He’s a basketball coach, someone I’m not always looking at as a media officianado.

Granted, yes, the lighting was off. You’re probably thinking Seinfeld, “Two Face” girlfriend video. Happens sometimes.

Also, the question they floated him was awkward. They were basically asking him, between the lines, why the heck did Oaklahoma get into the tournament after losing basically every road game (compared to OK State which beat them twice).

K had to casually get around the put-on-the-spot question and basically said they had the toughest league (which compliments both OK and OK State). To me, that was a super sharp answer, without inadvertently then being quoted as criticizing another as not deserving to get in the tourney.

Cut to Calipari, over a decade younger, distracted by his mobile phone, wondering where Boise was (seriously, it’s a beautiful city and venue), and rambling on about his “youngest team ever” playing so nicely in the sandbox and something about conquering themselves before they conquer others. Huh? Then he was like the dog Kevin from Up and—

SQUIRREL!

budwom
03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
I suspect K is rapidly approaching his retirement point, but his continued ludicrous level success in recruiting could well be foiling the plan. Hard to give things up when you have the three top rated recruits
in the country coming in next year. So I'd guess he's good for another turn of the crank if Mickie is on board.

Eakane
03-12-2018, 05:18 PM

Why? Is it too difficult to hover over the hyperlink?

weezie
03-12-2018, 05:21 PM
in this case, how about we instead just close the thread...

Sounds like an excellent plan to me.

Man does this bum me out. "Hey, you look tired, do you feel tired? I know you're old and all and maybe thinking of retirement, but wow, I'm worried about you!"

Not exactly what anybody wants to hear anytime, anywhere.

Truth&Justise
03-12-2018, 05:26 PM
I was in the upper deck for the game at Georgia Tech this year. Duke got off to a big lead early and the stadium got a little quiet. Late in the first half, Duke got called for a touch foul, and Coach K jumped right up off the bench.

"HE GOT THE BALL, [redacted text]

Could hear it clear as day in the upper deck. For now, at least, he's still got the fire inside him.

weezie
03-12-2018, 05:30 PM
I was in the upper deck for the game at Georgia Tech this year. Duke got off to a big lead early and the stadium got a little quiet. Late in the first half, Duke got called for a touch foul, and Coach K jumped right up off the bench.

Uhhh, I really think he and I have ESP. That's exactly what I said! :cool:

Bluedevil114
03-12-2018, 05:36 PM
I suspect K is rapidly approaching his retirement point, but his continued ludicrous level success in recruiting could well be foiling the plan. Hard to give things up when you have the three top rated recruits
in the country coming in next year. So I'd guess he's good for another turn of the crank if Mickie is on board.

No way he retires after thus season even if they won the tournament. He is too invested in next year with one of if not the best recruiting class he has brought to Duke. Next year at this time is when we should all be concerned.

MartyClark
03-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Could hear it clear as day in the upper deck. For now, at least, he's still got the fire inside him.

I endorse your message but don't understand what [redacted text] means. Is there any way you can explain it without triggering the wanker alert?

brevity
03-12-2018, 05:43 PM

Yes. I guess I should upgrade my smartphone, but its touchscreen fails to respond to my lack of touch.

I was okay with the title because I assumed it was intended for an all-purpose Coach K thread, and not some extremely limited “Coach K looks old and tired in this problematic Turner Sports show with lousy production values, even though he looked good 2 days earlier, and I felt the need to start a separate thread to point that out.”

duke4ever19
03-12-2018, 05:45 PM
I endorse your message but don't understand what [redacted text] means. Is there any way you can explain it without triggering the wanker alert?

"He got the ball, Yahweh condemn it to hellfire!" :p

MartyClark
03-12-2018, 05:49 PM

I'm slow, but I get it. Thanks.

Go Duke!

sagegrouse
03-12-2018, 05:50 PM

I tend to agree with Fraggler that threads should have a reasonably descriptive title. Moreover, posts should consist of more than a link, such as including a brief synopsis or a "money quote."

Bob Green
03-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Gentle reminder: please do not use special characters or cute tricks to bypass the language filter. DBR is a family friendly site. Thanks!

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21833-Decorum-amp-Posting-Guidelines-(Please-read-before-posting!)

Inappropriate Content. Posts that use language or ideas that shock Grandma are examples. Keep it PG-13, please, as we want to keep this family friendly.

Eakane
03-12-2018, 06:42 PM
I tend to agree with Fraggler that threads should have a reasonably descriptive title. Moreover, posts should consist of more than a link, such as including a brief synopsis or a "money quote."

No, I mean the title of the thread. If you hover over it, you'll see most of the first text, which saves you the humongous irritation of clicking into a thread that in fact you are not interested in reading. Akin to the unbelievable waste of time spent reading clever puns. I don't know how many trolls hang around here, but the sphincter police are clearly present.

freshmanjs
03-12-2018, 06:43 PM
No way he retires after thus season even if they won the tournament. He is too invested in next year with one of if not the best recruiting class he has brought to Duke. Next year at this time is when we should all be concerned.

That's my sense too...next year may be the last. Especially if he can score a "commissioner" role for CBB.

weezie
03-12-2018, 07:41 PM

I did not redact my text. I normally don't redact anything I say. That's apparently one of my lifelong biggest problems...according to the nuns who taught me at the Convent of The Sacred Heart School.

Those wankers...:cool:

MCFinARL
03-12-2018, 07:54 PM

This is the key point. I believe Coach K has said he will stop coaching when it isn't fun anymore or, put another way, when he can't muster the necessary energy to do it with zest. Hard to predict when that will be, but it may well come upon him in the late summer/early fall some year when he finds himself less than enthusiastic about the coming season.

That being said, making a decision at that time of year might not be ideal for the program, so perhaps the following season would be his last, with lots of internal warning that a search should be underway.

MarkD83
03-12-2018, 07:56 PM
I just hope Coach K hangs on until Roy retires.....Are they about the same age??

devildeac
03-12-2018, 08:05 PM
I just hope Coach K hangs on until Roy retires....Are they about the same age??

K: 2/13/47
other coach: 8/1/50

-jk
03-12-2018, 08:10 PM
K won't leave the program in disarray; that's not his style.

It will be planned for - though we may not know of it (his cone of silence is legendary).

-jk

HereBeforeCoachK
03-12-2018, 08:11 PM
K: 2/13/47
other coach: 8/1/50

To my eye, K is in better shape, looks younger. Roy has aged a lot in last five years. And K knows how to use that Grecian formula ("not that there's anything wrong with that - I use just 4 men on my beard and I'm younger than 71 by a long shot)

El_Diablo
03-12-2018, 08:12 PM

On a phone, yeah, it is.

devildeac
03-12-2018, 08:14 PM
To my eye, K is in better shape, looks younger. Roy has aged a lot in last five years. And K knows how to use that Grecian formula ("not that there's anything wrong with that - I use just 4 men on my beard and I'm younger than 71 by a long shot)

Plus, K has a better wardrobe. ;)

HereBeforeCoachK
03-12-2018, 08:15 PM

That was my interpretation exactly!

sagegrouse
03-12-2018, 11:34 PM

I understand your point, Dukejim1, but I have written about this off-and-on for years, which doesn't make my position right -- just "stubbornly held."

IMHO (where the H ran away with the ghost of Dean Smith), quitting just before the season would be the worst thing Coach K could do. The October retirement of Dean Smith and, later, the December retirement of John Thompson handed the jobs by default to their longtime assistants and prevented the respective universities from having proper searches. Unprofessional and high-handed in my opinion now -- and expressed by me at the time they occurred. Hey guys, you don't own these jobs -- there needs to be respect paid to the Universities and the basketball programs. Moreover, neither Guthridge nor Esherick lasted as long-term coaches.

K has signaled that there will be a search and that he would not be directly involved. He hopes he has a Duke-trained successor, but there is no guarantee. In the Army (or the other services) generals don't pick their successors. I expect and hope that K will announce his retirement in time for Duke to carefully consider a number of candidates.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

gep
03-13-2018, 12:43 AM
I think Coach K is committed to next year... after all, he recruited the 3 best players in the class. I'm not sure what he told other recruits that are not sure-fire OAD for next year. I think the "hint" will come when he isn't the "point-man" in recruiting non-OAD's, and especially the OAD's. Of course, I don't know how we'll know this...:confused:

camion
03-13-2018, 08:41 AM
No, I mean the title of the thread. If you hover over it, you'll see most of the first text, which saves you the humongous irritation of clicking into a thread that in fact you are not interested in reading. Akin to the unbelievable waste of time spent reading clever puns. I don't know how many trolls hang around here, but the sphincter police are clearly present.

I hate to sound stupid or trollish, but how do I hover over the title on my iPhone?

sagegrouse
03-13-2018, 08:44 AM
I hate to sound stupid or trollish, but how do I hover over the title on my iPhone?

Here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovercraft_Museum#/media/File:SRN4_Hovercraft_The_Princess_Margaret.jpg)?

-jk
03-13-2018, 09:18 AM

Tap and hold a link for 2 or 3 seconds - a menu pops up with the full link.

-jk

camion
03-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Tap and hold a link for 2 or 3 seconds - a menu pops up with the full link.

-jk

Thanks. That's good information. If I do that my finger blocks a good bit of the text. It would be easier on the iPhone just to tap the link and open the thread.

But the point of hovering over the title, from my reading of previous posts, would be to decide if the thread is worth opening when the title is vague. Opening the thread to see if it is worth opening is, uh, redundant. It would seem to me to be simpler for readers to make that decision if the originator of the thread creates a reasonably descriptive title.

But maybe it's must me.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Thanks. That's good information. If I do that my finger blocks a good bit of the text. It would be easier on the iPhone just to tap the link and open the thread.

But the point of hovering over the title, from my reading of previous posts, would be to decide if the thread is worth opening when the title is vague. Opening the thread to see if it is worth opening is, uh, redundant. It would seem to me to be simpler for readers to make that decision if the originator of the thread creates a reasonably descriptive title.

But maybe it's must me.

Yes, for mobile users it makes a big difference. Thank you for the shout out.

BandAlum83
03-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Yes. I'm not sure it's even possible from a smart phone.

Steven43
03-13-2018, 11:34 AM

K could coach into his later 70’s. Wouldn’t surprise me much if he did. By then Brad Stevens will have won a couple of NBA championships and might be looking for a new challenge. Fingers crossed for both scenarios.

Billy Dat
03-13-2018, 12:03 PM
K could coach into his later 70’s. Wouldn’t surprise me much if he did. By then Brad Stevens will have won a couple of NBA championships and might be looking for a new challenge. Fingers crossed for both scenarios.

I don't see him ever lacking the drive. He's extremely unique in that way, I don't see that flame ever diminishing. What I suspect is that something health-related will push him out. If his health cooperates, I agree with you. I think Stevens is a pipe dream, though. He's such a success in the NBA, I can't see him ever wanting to go back to all the non basketball stuff involved in running a major D1 program. If your moniker has any predictive power, Stevens will be 43 in 2019....

HereBeforeCoachK
03-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Stevens can flat out coach - not that this is a news flash or anything. I've thought in the past he'd be a good match for Duke....but I think he's an NBA guy now.

chrishoke
03-14-2018, 10:11 AM
The GOAT doesn't look tired here.
http://cbsn.ws/2pbzx52 #NoteToSelf