PDA

View Full Version : NCAA West region collector thread (Xavier #1 seed, UNC #2)

Pages : [1] 2

JasonEvans
03-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Post your thoughts about the West region here. And don't forget to vote in the poll for who will win the region.

-Jason

weezie
03-11-2018, 08:34 PM
I can't! I just can't mark that little circle. I cannot do it.

But, it's going to happen whether I vote or not :(

brevity
03-11-2018, 08:50 PM
I can't! I just can't mark that little circle. I cannot do it.

But, it's going to happen whether I vote or not :(

Then don't. Just click on "UNC-Greensboro" instead. Then, if necessary, argue that they probably moved the whole campus to get away from the stench in Chapel Hill.

richardjackson199
03-11-2018, 08:53 PM
I voted for the cheats hoping that my sports betting prowess seen in the ACC Degenerate gambler contest holds true.

lotusland
03-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Cheaters never advance to the Sweet 16 on my brackets and I sleep well. No mental gymnastics required to pick Michigan tho. They’re playing great. Intestine that so far no one has voted for the #1 seed.

Chard
03-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Providence has wins over Villanova, Creighton and Xavier twice. Not going to count them out! They should get past an undisciplined TAMU.

SCMatt33
03-11-2018, 09:21 PM
The only thing I like about UNC's draw here is that they have to have that dreaded Sunday-Thursday turnaround with a cross country trip in between. I would not have wanted that for us

uh_no
03-11-2018, 09:29 PM
The only thing I like about UNC's draw here is that they have to have that dreaded Sunday-Thursday turnaround with a cross country trip in between. I would not have wanted that for us

eh. we trump that up, but i'm skeptical. these guys play midweek games with travel in between all ACC season.

I'm guessing there's little correlation between which dates you play on in the first weekend and how you do in the regionals.

4Gen
03-11-2018, 09:38 PM
I can't believe there is a college called Lipscomb. Sounds like a barber school specializing in mustaches. Well anyway, go barbers!

jv001
03-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Voted cheats, hoping for jinx factor. Hate em. GoDuke!

wavedukefan70s
03-11-2018, 09:46 PM
I believe providence can beat UNC if they meet.

ice-9
03-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Xavier has a good record but nobody thinks they’re that good. If Las Vegas did the brackets, Xavier would just be a 3-seed. I had personally hoped that if we were a 2-seed to be paired with Xavier, even if in the West.

Sadly I think UNC is the easy pick for this region.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-11-2018, 09:49 PM
I can't believe there is a college called Lipscomb. Sounds like a barber school specializing in mustaches. Well anyway, go barbers!

Joey Brackets had us playing Lipscomb - yesterday I think.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Cheaters never advance to the Sweet 16 on my brackets and I sleep well. No mental gymnastics required to pick Michigan tho. They’re playing great. Intestine that so far no one has voted for the #1 seed.

Will be interesting to see how Big Ten teams do with the entire week off - making it almost two weeks off when they tip in the NCAA. That seems like too much time off to me.

FerryFor50
03-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Xavier has a good record but nobody thinks they’re that good. If Las Vegas did the brackets, Xavier would just be a 3-seed. I had personally hoped that if we were a 2-seed to be paired with Xavier, even if in the West.

Sadly I think UNC is the easy pick for this region.

I was really hoping Duke was going to get Xavier as their 1 seed. But if Duke had beaten UNC, they might have gotten the final #1 over Xavier and gotten the strongest #2.

Oh well.

Troublemaker
03-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Will be interesting to see how Big Ten teams do with the entire week off - making it almost two weeks off when they tip in the NCAA. That seems like too much time off to me.

That's a really good point. From our perspective, hopefully Bucknell can knock off a rusty MSU but Michigan weathers the rustiness to beat Montana.

SCMatt33
03-11-2018, 10:14 PM
eh. we trump that up, but i'm skeptical. these guys play midweek games with travel in between all ACC season.

I'm guessing there's little correlation between which dates you play on in the first weekend and how you do in the regionals.

True teams travel a lot, but rarely cross country and rarely have to travel for back to back games like this. Most of the times it's a one way trip with a home game on either end. Having to travel for a weekend, come home, have one rest day, travel again across the country, have a practice day with media obligations, then play three time zones away from normal is not what they do all the time. I can only find two instances of back to back road games for UNC all year (I'm not counting Stanford into PK80 as they stayed out west the entire time). They had FSU then UVA, losing both. And they had Louisville followed by Syracuse. They looked really good in the first one, but really shaky before hanging on in the second. Do I think "oh man, there's no way anyone can handle this" of course not, but even a very small effect from the travel schedule can have a huge impact when you look up at the scoreboard. It will be mitigated a bit by the fact that they won't be playing a west coast team, so they all have to travel, but their opponent will have an extra day rest. It's not a death sentence or anything, but it's definitely much easier not to have to go that far that fast.

ice-9
03-11-2018, 10:18 PM
I was really hoping Duke was going to get Xavier as their 1 seed. But if Duke had beaten UNC, they might have gotten the final #1 over Xavier and gotten the strongest #2.

Oh well.

Would've probably been Xavier at #2? I would still be OK with that, though Gonzaga at the #4 scares me.

I have the Zags beating the X-men in my bracket.

elvis14
03-11-2018, 10:20 PM
I voted Michigan. If this was UNCheat and all the other 15 and 16 seeds from the tournament, I wouldn't vote for UNCheat.

FerryFor50
03-11-2018, 10:22 PM
I voted Michigan. If this was UNCheat and all the other 15 and 16 seeds from the tournament, I wouldn't vote for UNCheat.

Hopefully Michigan has improved since losing to UNC by 15. :mad:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400986105

Wander
03-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Has a 1 seed ever gotten zero votes in one of these polls?

I went for Gonzaga... under the radar a bit this season, and a nice path.

OZ
03-11-2018, 10:51 PM
I would say, "if I didn't know better, I would swear that Old Roy made out this bracket." However, given the past years shenanigans, I'm not sure of anything that involves this crowd. They may not win the region, but they certainly have their best chance here. Not a clear winner in the top three. I'm betting Va wouldn't mind being #1 in this bracket.

UrinalCake
03-11-2018, 10:54 PM
True teams travel a lot, but rarely cross country and rarely have to travel for back to back games like this.

I think if given the choice they would opt for friday/sunday on the first weekend because they just played on four consecutive days and Johnson looked pretty banged up. They get five full days before their first game and only have to travel to Charlotte. Agree that it makes the second weekend harder, and the time zone could be a factor if they play Gonzaga. They're a veteran team though, so I don't think it will affect them as much as it would have affected us.

sagegrouse
03-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Xavier's first-round opponent, NCCU is the #16 seed. More to the point, NCCU has by far the lowest KenPom rating of any team in the field -- #309. The two next lowest are LIU Brooklun (#251) and Texas Southern at (#249).

DukieInKansas
03-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Please let this be the year a 16 pulls off the upset - and let this be the bracket!

Let's go, Bisons!

subzero02
03-12-2018, 10:34 PM
Please let this be the year a 16 pulls off the upset - and let this be the bracket!

Let's go, Bisons!

The holes aren't the 1 seed; they're the 2 seed. Lipscomb/unc is the 15/2 matchup.

Go Bison!!!

dukelifer
03-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Central having a horrible game. Can't hit anything. Texas Southern went on a multi-minute drought and Central could not score a point. This game is setting basketball back many decades.

cbarry
03-14-2018, 08:50 PM
I would agree if this were “who do you WANT” to win the region, but it’s who do you THINK will win he region. And unfortunately, UNC won’t be challenged by any of the teams here. I think they will lose in the final 4.
I would be thrilled if they lost earlier, but I don’t see that happening. UNC is peaking at the right time, and have loads of tourney experience.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Central having a horrible game. Can't hit anything. Texas Southern went on a multi-minute drought and Central could not score a point. This game is setting basketball back many decades.

0-14 from three......30% shooting overall.....46 points. FUGLY. Law of averages for the other Durham team works in our favor....

dukelifer
03-14-2018, 09:05 PM
I would agree if this were “who do you WANT” to win the region, but it’s who do you THINK will win he region. And unfortunately, UNC won’t be challenged by any of the teams here. I think they will lose in the final 4.
I would be thrilled if they lost earlier, but I don’t see that happening. UNC is peaking at the right time, and have loads of tourney experience.

I bet a pie that they will get there and I would be very happy to pay off- but I also don't see them losing unless Berry gets in to foul trouble, turns an ankle- or loses another video game.

cbarry
03-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Agreed... IF I bet on sports (which I do not, except for NCAA Tourney brackets for small potatoes), I would bet a large amount of money that UNC will make the final 4. Easy money. There honestly is no team that can come close to beating them unless there is a natural disaster or the starting 5 all get mono or something. Yeah, maybe Berry will lose another video game. Hopefully he would punch the wall with his dominant hand next time!

I bet a pie that they will get there and I would be very happy to pay off- but I also don't see them losing unless Berry gets in to foul trouble, turns an ankle- or loses another video game.

Brockt10
03-14-2018, 09:56 PM
Doesn't it make much more sense to make Duke the 3 seed in the Midwest and have Xavier and Michigan st switch spots?

CoachJ10
03-14-2018, 10:14 PM
That has blessed the UNCheats with their recent tourney success has to turn around at some point. If not now, when...

DukieInKansas
03-14-2018, 11:26 PM
The holes aren't the 1 seed; they're the 2 seed. Lipscomb/unc is the 15/2 matchup.

Go Bison!!!

Way to ruin my fantasy. Can I still hope for a 1 seed to go down?
And, more importantly, unc go down big.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Last night's game reminded me why I have issues with "first four" games. If you want to have four games to kick off the tournament, make it all bubble teams fighting for the last at large bids. Don't make these teams that won their conferences for the automatic berth beat each other up instead of getting their opportunity against Xavier/Nova/UVA.

It feels like it counters the beauty of March Madness to me: if you win your conference, you get your shot. Not to mention, it skews weird stats like "St. Bonaventure hadn't won a tournament game since 1970! But last night they did!" Yeah, sorta...

I have no issue with play in games. Screw it, let's have eight play in games for all the 8/9 seeds. We can call it the Seth Greenberg Invitational. But don't give the 16 seeds the added weight of playing in Dayton for the chance to play two days later in a David-Goliath match up they already have very little chance in.

*gets off his soap box*

jv001
03-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Last night's game reminded me why I have issues with "first four" games. If you want to have four games to kick off the tournament, make it all bubble teams fighting for the last at large bids. Don't make these teams that won their conferences for the automatic berth beat each other up instead of getting their opportunity against Xavier/Nova/UVA.

It feels like it counters the beauty of March Madness to me: if you win your conference, you get your shot. Not to mention, it skews weird stats like "St. Bonaventure hadn't won a tournament game since 1970! But last night they did!" Yeah, sorta...

I have no issue with play in games. Screw it, let's have eight play in games for all the 8/9 seeds. We can call it the Seth Greenberg Invitational. But don't give the 16 seeds the added weight of playing in Dayton for the chance to play two days later in a David-Goliath match up they already have very little chance in.

*gets off his soap box*

Must spread sporkz. I don't even watch the play in games. I treat those games just like I do NBA games, I don't watch them. I like your idea of the bubble teams playing for those last spots. Let the 16 seeds take their yearly beating. Your plan would have me watching those games. Good idea. GoDuke!

kmspeaks
03-15-2018, 10:24 AM

*gets off his soap box*

I don't disagree with your overall point but St. Bonaventure was an 11 seed at large bid. They lost in their conference tournament semi-finals.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2018, 10:47 AM
I don't disagree with your overall point but St. Bonaventure was an 11 seed at large bid. They lost in their conference tournament semi-finals.

So, well, they were my example for the skewing of tournament win records. The terrible 16/16 game was my reference point for the automatic berths.

But the UCLA/Bonnie game was good to the last drop!

House G
03-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Voted cheats, hoping for jinx factor. Hate em. GoDuke!

If anyone is worried about the cheats repeating, you can relax. Earlier today, I bet on them to win it all at 15-1 odds. My betting history would suggest that they now have no chance lol.

whereinthehellami
03-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Zags only up 5 with 11 to play.

UNCG playing tough.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Zags only up 5 with 11 to play.

UNCG playing tough.

And Zags getting some favorable calls...

Reddevil
03-15-2018, 03:19 PM
If anyone is worried about the cheats repeating, you can relax. Earlier today, I bet on them to win it all at 15-1 odds. My betting history would suggest that they now have no chance lol.

Thank you for taking one for the team. Normally I would never, ever EVER want to see a Duke unc final, but somehow this year I would welcome it. I think Duke would win and that sting would last them a lifetime. More importantly, that feeling of bliss would also last us a lifetime. Let the chips fall.

Truth&Justise
03-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Gonzaga with four missed free throws down the stretch. Almost cost them.

Need them to advance so there will be some relatively strong teams to challenge UNC in their ridiculously weak region.

luvdahops
03-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Gonzaga with four missed free throws down the stretch. Almost cost them.

Need them to advance so there will be some relatively strong teams to challenge UNC in their ridiculously weak region.

I think Michigan will be a very tough matchup for them. Wolverines are playing very well at both ends of the floor, have a good mix of athletes and high skill guys, and are solidly 8 deep. Took out Michigan State by 11 and Purdue by 9 en route to winning the Big 10 Tournament.

wallyman
03-15-2018, 05:12 PM
We are all Michigan fans now.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Thank you for taking one for the team. Normally I would never, ever EVER want to see a Duke unc final, but somehow this year I would welcome it. I think Duke would win and that sting would last them a lifetime. More importantly, that feeling of bliss would also last us a lifetime. Let the chips fall.

AAACK......I would have to be sedated before the game. Wake me up if we win, pull the plug if we don't......

cbarry
03-15-2018, 05:51 PM
Yesss!! Michigan is the only team in that region that can beat UNC. They HAVE to do it. Good must prevail over evil!!

We are all Michigan fans now.

CDu
03-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Yesss!! Michigan is the only team in that region that can beat UNC. They HAVE to do it. Good must prevail over evil!!

Gonzaga can win too. They are certainly capable, though they can’t play like today and do it.

dukelifer
03-15-2018, 09:53 PM
Gray on Houston put on a show.

subzero02
03-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Providence has caught friar and tied the game although it looks like Texas A and M would have a better chance to knock off the unc/Lipscomb victor.

dukelifer
03-16-2018, 02:26 PM
Providence has caught friar and tied the game although it looks like Texas A and M would have a better chance to knock off the unc/Lipscomb victor.

I agree. Good physical big men and they have beaten some good teams. Their guards need to play well and physically. Won't be easy but they are strong where UNC is not.

dukelifer
03-16-2018, 04:35 PM
Lipscomb getting overwhelmed.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 04:59 PM

They were going great - then their star got foul #2 and the coach took him out.....and kept him out while the game slipped away late first half. The cheats got all the calls too of course....but it amazes me that some coaches will be slaves to the 2 foul rule......

DU82
03-16-2018, 07:28 PM

There goes my bracket.

dukebluesincebirth
03-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Keep an eye on Texas Southern. Xavier is the weakest 1 seed I’ve seen in years. It could happen tonight...

Wander
03-16-2018, 08:14 PM
The cheats got all the calls too of course...but it amazes me that some coaches will be slaves to the 2 foul rule...

I agree, I'd like to see coaches re-examine this common wisdom... I'm not even convinced the general concept of benching guys because of foul trouble has merit (aside from a modest amount of time on the bench to calm them down or give them a rest, if that's the reason they're fouling). What's the difference between a guy picking up his 3rd foul in the first half, versus sitting that player out and then he picks up his 3rd foul at the beginning of the second half?

left_hook_lacey
03-16-2018, 08:37 PM
For me, I think it's a mental thing. You don't want someone going hakf-speed and second guessing himself because he's worried about picking up another foul.

uh_no
03-16-2018, 08:59 PM
I agree, I'd like to see coaches re-examine this common wisdom... I'm not even convinced the general concept of benching guys because of foul trouble has merit (aside from a modest amount of time on the bench to calm them down or give them a rest, if that's the reason they're fouling). What's the difference between a guy picking up his 3rd foul in the first half, versus sitting that player out and then he picks up his 3rd foul at the beginning of the second half?

I'm skeptical it DOESN'T have merit....though not to the degree of rigidity that coaches adhere to.

For your theory to be true, the following two things must be true:

1) picking up fouls must be a poisson process
2) efficiency must be independent of the number of the number of fouls the players on the floor have.

The first case is not true. The "classic" example is that players will play more passive defense when they have 4 fouls. This almost assuredly decreases their foul rate, and thus makes the variable non-poisson.

The falsity of the second case follows from the first. If players change their defensive play in order to avoid picking up a fifth foul at the same rate that they picked up the first four, they likely will be playing less effective defense.

So that being the case, it makes sense to minimize the amount of time that the player has to play in "fear" of being ejected as well as the amount of time they are ejected. A player with 2 fouls in the first half, either due to conditioning or reality, will likely play more conservatively on defense. If this "conservative" time is moved from the end of the first half, when a player has two fouls, to the end of the second half (assuming the player has 4) it is more likely the player will be matched with an opponent who is ALSO in foul trouble, and thus willing to be conservative, decreasing the chances that either picks up their fifth foul.

Anyway, point is, it's not as simple as I think you make it out to be, or as simple as conventional wisdom makes it out to be. There is a very unpopular game (around here...expecting flames) where a coach benched a player of the year for ~18 minutes in the first half, while the opponent allowed the corresponding players to pick up 3 fouls. At the end of the game the benched player took over while the opponents were in foul trouble. Does such an anecdote "prove" that it makes sense to bench players with two fouls? Certainly not. But it provides evidence of the kind of situations in which it can be advantageous. Was either coach wrong? Who knows. Until we can simulate the same game a gazillion times, we may never know.

Anyway, it's something that I think is extremely situational. I don't think a rule as strict as "never play a player in the first half with two fouls" is the right answer, but I also don't think putting your key players in a place to foul out early is necessarily either. Every situation is different, and you trust a good coach to make the right call.

Go Duke. Go K.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Keep an eye on Texas Southern. Xavier is the weakest 1 seed I’ve seen in years. It could happen tonight...

Ha, like a sixteen seed could ever beat a one seed...

devildeac
03-17-2018, 02:59 PM
From an "unbiased" (cough) espn cretin, reporting on the crowd in Charlotte, obviously filled by "u"nc morons:

"Here in Charlotte they ran a touching tribute to NCAA athletes and coaches who served in the military. Crowd cheered their support...until the video showed Army grad Mike Krzyzewski. Thunderous booing."

Nice to be in Pittsburgh.

My disgust for those cheating vermin shows no boundaries.

dukelifer
03-17-2018, 11:01 PM
Michigan struggling a bit. Need some road blocks for UNC.

MChambers
03-17-2018, 11:07 PM
Michigan struggling a bit. Need some road blocks for UNC.

Maybe Michigan is getting their bad game out of the way.

Bluedog
03-17-2018, 11:17 PM
Big guy for Houston picks up 4th foul with 17 min to go (on somewhat of a flop by Michigan defender) with Michigan down 1. Hope that turns the tide to Michigan's favor. They can't shoot tonight thus far.

gocanes0506
03-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Don’t mess this up Michigan. The Man buns can’t beat that other “school.”

MChambers
03-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Don’t mess this up Michigan. The Man buns can’t beat that other “school.”

Wofford beat 'em; Houston can too.

AGDukesky
03-17-2018, 11:34 PM
Michigan is nothing special unless it gets hot from outside. Houston has a pretty equal chance against UNC.

Bluedog
03-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I agree. Michigan looks like garbage this game. Houston the more athletic and physical team. Certainly if Michigan hits a bunch of threes they can beat quality teams. Gah... hopefully, a&m makes me caring so much a moot point.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 11:45 PM
If Michigan loses, my brackets survived three days.

AGDukesky
03-17-2018, 11:54 PM
That five point sequence was a complete joke. Michigan just doesn’t deserve to win

Bluedog
03-17-2018, 11:57 PM
Seems like the refs are trying to even things out by calling phantom fouls on Houston. But yes, can't believe one of these teams is making the Sweet 16 after this display... These teams do not look good. For being such a close game, it's been quite boring.

AGDukesky
03-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Foul on Houston every possession to get Michigan back in the lead- garbage

ns7
03-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Officials are calling a lot of touch fouls

Bluedog
03-18-2018, 12:04 AM
Well now Michigan got hosed on a call to foul out Robinson... Seems like officials are equal opportunity offenders.

Edit: and now it goes the other way with a phantom foul on Houston,hahaha.

Dukehky
03-18-2018, 12:04 AM
The only reason I'm watching this game is to try to figure out who I think is more likely to beat Carolina.

I would say that Houston probably has the better chance. So I'm pulling more for Houston. I guess.

Furniture
03-18-2018, 12:06 AM
Wagner seems good

Bluedog
03-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Wow Michigan misses a WIDE open layup that would have tied it with 4 sec left. Houston to the FT line up two.

Edit: Houston misses both FTs. Michigan ball with chance to tie or win with 3.6 sec. Great execution by both teams at the end of this one. [Sarcasm]

And as soon as I say that an unheralded freshman nails a prayer three to win it. Wow... They played terrible and deserved to lose. I hope they play a lot better in the next round and learn how to shoot which they did in the B1G tourney.

Michigan shot 30 3s.

DangerDevil
03-18-2018, 12:19 AM
Go Big Blue!

AGDukesky
03-18-2018, 12:19 AM
Now Michigan will blow it against UNC because clearly all of its luck has been used up

ns7
03-18-2018, 12:20 AM
Dude probably got fouled on the shot too.

robed deity
03-18-2018, 12:20 AM
More time left than Laettner's but how do you not guard the ball there?

DukieInKansas
03-18-2018, 12:21 AM
Hail to the victors!

Man bun annoyed me so not sorry to see him gone.

Bluedog
03-18-2018, 12:22 AM
More time left than Laettner's but how do you not guard the ball there?

I agree but some coaches think it's better to force them to be go backwards to waste time rather than catching it in stride. Beilen even said they tried to get to the rim in that time in the huddle.

Dukehky
Wow Michigan misses a WIDE open layup that would have tied it with 4 sec left. Houston to the FT line up two.

Edit: Houston misses both FTs. Michigan ball with chance to tie or win with 3.6 sec. Great execution by both teams at the end of this one. [Sarcasm]

And as soon as I say that an unheralded freshman nails a prayer three to win it. Wow... They played terrible and deserved to lose. I hope they play a lot better in the next round and learn how to shoot which they did in the B1G tourney.

Michigan shot 30 3s.

That week and half off was terrible for them. They were super hot. Hopefully they play really well next week regardless of who they play. Hopefully they're not playing that terrible blue.

Furniture
Surprising....

-jk
03-18-2018, 12:31 AM
They're gonna get crushed...

-jk

jacone21
03-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Hail to the victors!

Man bun annoyed me so not sorry to see him gone.

Not to mention mini man bun.

Bluedog
03-18-2018, 12:34 AM
They're gonna get crushed...

-jk

I agree if they repeat that performance... But hopefully they don't. They're capable of knocking down more shots but they look pretty unathletic to me. Did not instill much confidence, that's for sure. Go A&M!!

scottdude8
03-18-2018, 12:35 AM
Two words. Go Blue!!!

Michigan will be a different team in a potential UNC matchup with a week to prepare and now that they’re not rusty. Regardless this moment will live forever in Ann Arbor. Woohoo!

kAzE
03-18-2018, 12:38 AM
My goodness . . . that final play was almost more unbelievable than the Christian Lattner shot. It's not nearly as consequential a shot, but just the way they executed the play was amazing.

March Madness never fails to disappoint.

InSpades
03-18-2018, 12:39 AM
Turned it off before the 2 free throws assuming my bracket was (further) busted.

Glad that is not the case!

ns7
03-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Michigan plays great defense including rebounding opponent's misses well. Both will be key to beating UNC. On offense Michigan has a size advantage with Wagner. They need to use that to their advantage.

Beilein is a good coach. I expect him to have a smart game plan.

subzero02
03-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Dude probably got fouled on the shot too.

I basically agree... he did stick his leg out after the release to sell the call but the Ref pocketed his whistle. I'd hate to see free throws on a call like that decide an NCAA game. It does make me wonder if the whistle gets blown if the ball doesn't go in.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2018, 07:08 AM
March Madness never fails to disappoint.

I think you misspoke there...

dukebluesincebirth
03-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Nice to already be in the Sweet 16 going into Sunday games... now we can sit back and say GOOOOO AGGIES!!!

dukelifer
03-18-2018, 08:02 AM
Now Michigan will blow it against UNC because clearly all of its luck has been used up

That is not how it works. Usually the team with new life uses it to make a run.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 08:15 AM
That is not how it works. Usually the team with new life uses it to make a run.

That's true at times. When Arizona won the natty under Lute, they were dead and buried in the first round to College of Charleston. I mean dead to rights. It was over. They somehow escaped, and won it all. Same thing several times with NC State in 83, who had to win the ACCT to qualify perhaps, let alone the 3 OT Pepperdine game in round one. Arkansas won a natty with games in the first two rounds they should have lost....(or was that when they lost in title game).

Anyway, your point is well taken. An amazing escape often launches new life, a feeling of house money, and a long run.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Texas A&M is a really good team and big. I would have been happier to see Providence in this round. Nobody should be looking past this game to Michigan. It’s gonna be a battle against A&M.

Shooting will be key in this one. UNC has to spread the floor by making shots and not allow them to pack it in and control the boards.

And UNC’s freshmen bigs better be ready to contribute.

robed deity
03-18-2018, 08:37 AM
The cheats should be fine today, unfortunately. They have a huge advantage everywhere except down low. Williams and Davis are tough for A&M, but they just don't have any backcourt help.

AGDukesky
03-18-2018, 10:10 AM
I basically agree... he did stick his leg out after the release to sell the call but the Ref pocketed his whistle. I'd hate to see free throws on a call like that decide an NCAA game. It does make me wonder if the whistle gets blown if the ball doesn't go in.

That is crazy talk. He clearly made that spastic leg movement to try to get fouled and essentially kicked the defender. It was completely unnatural and never should get called. Total fluke luck shot but he somehow made it...

whereinthehellami
03-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Put all you money on the cheats. Absolutely no way the cheats don't win today. I can't remember the last time there was a lock as big as this one.

Duke_92
03-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Nice article on Kelvin Sampson and growing up Lumbee in North Carolina. Written by Nick Martin, Duke ‘16.

https://deadspin.com/for-kelvin-sampson-and-north-carolinas-native-americans-1823714256

Was sad to see Houston’s season end so suddenly. Would have been a lot of hype around a UNC - Houston match up. (Not that I’m pulling for UNC to make it that far.

House G
03-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Put all you money on the cheats. Absolutely no way the cheats don't win today. I can't remember the last time there was a lock as big as this one.

Winning and covering are two different things. :p

moonpie23
03-18-2018, 10:47 AM
cheats won't have any problem with the aggies.....should be smooth sailing for them.

dukelifer
03-18-2018, 01:00 PM

Maybe UVA over UMBC.

ncexnyc
03-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Maybe UVA over UMBC.

Funny that you mention this as during yesterday's game which was on CBS, the channel right above it was ABC, which was broadcasting the No Mas 30 for 30 show. I kept switching to this show during commercial breaks and as great a fighter as Roberto Duran was, he will always have his reputation stained by this one fight. It appears that UVA now falls into that very same category. No matter how many more great seasons they have or titles they win, they will always be remembered as the 1st seed that lost to a 16th seed.

House G
03-18-2018, 05:49 PM
Loving A&M’s game plan right now—posting up their bigs. And the Carolina fans behind their bench look like they’re in a movie theater.

Ballboy1998
03-18-2018, 05:55 PM
A&M's PG seems to make nothing but bad decisions on offense, but their post guys are dominating. Looking forward to the refs inevitably getting tired of calling fouls on "u"NC in the paint and just stopping.

subzero02
03-18-2018, 06:05 PM

Your lock is down 14 points at the half...

mattman91
03-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Nice article on Kelvin Sampson and growing up Lumbee in North Carolina. Written by Nick Martin, Duke ‘16.

https://deadspin.com/for-kelvin-sampson-and-north-carolinas-native-americans-1823714256

Was sad to see Houston’s season end so suddenly. Would have been a lot of hype around a UNC - Houston match up. (Not that I’m pulling for UNC to make it that far.

Always liked Kelvin since I am 1/4 Lumbee myself :cool:

Wheat/"/"/"
03-18-2018, 06:23 PM
There was the old “lid on the basket” for the Heels in that first half. A&M’s size inside has been tough to guard.

Shots need to fall for UNC to advance in this one.

If UNC’s experience and poise is gonna show up, there will never be a better time to see it than this 2nd half.

House G
03-18-2018, 06:24 PM
A&M's PG seems to make nothing but bad decisions on offense, but their post guys are dominating. Looking forward to the refs inevitably getting tired of calling fouls on "u"NC in the paint and just stopping.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure they’d rather have Carolina in the Final Four from a ratings standpoint. But with 60,000 students and a huge alumni following, A&M football fans are starting to jump on the bandwagon.

wavedukefan70s
03-18-2018, 06:31 PM
A &M size bothering the heels. maye I foul you can't handle them on D.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 06:32 PM
GREAT BLOCK on Maye

rsvman
03-18-2018, 06:36 PM
Too bad we didn't see this kind of "shooting" by Carolina when we played them.

DukieInKansas
03-18-2018, 06:39 PM
During the children's moment, they were asked what sound they found annoying. None of them said the first thing that came to my mind and I just heard it. It is that insufferable tar heels cheer. Followed quickly by OH IO.
It's tourney time, what can I say.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-18-2018, 06:41 PM
The groans of the lambs are delicious.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2018, 06:42 PM
Cannot understand why UNC has gone away from their strengths to this degree. Insane watching them pop terrible threes.

House G
Panic time for the holes.

rsvman
What is that phrase Carolina fans always used to say? I think it was "live by the three, die by the three," but I could be wrong.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Cannot understand why UNC has gone away from their strengths to this degree. Insanely awesome watching them pop terrible threes.
FTFY

kAzE
03-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Tar Heels are dunzo. This is embarrassing.

rsvman
03-18-2018, 06:46 PM

I never even think this until the final buzzer.

kAzE
03-18-2018, 06:47 PM

Have you been watching the game? These guys are playing like they've already lost.

jjasper0729
03-18-2018, 06:47 PM

I agree with you. Can't ever count them out... something will always happen unfortunately

trinity92
03-18-2018, 06:48 PM

You’re probably right, but I’m soaking in this embarrassment like a hot bath right now. It’s just delicious. Go on, enjoy.

House G
03-18-2018, 06:48 PM
I guess people will be talking about how A&M had a cakewalk to the FF lol.

Duke79UNLV77
03-18-2018, 06:49 PM
Have you been watching the game? These guys are playing like they've already lost.

I’m sticking with my principled protest of only watching UNCheat when they play us, but they’re making it tough today!

Trey21
03-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Between this UNC L and the UVa loss this first weekend has to rank up there for me.

Oh... and that this Duke team is finally looking like the team we thought they were helps.

NancyCarol
03-18-2018, 06:53 PM
Having a wonderful time watching the Aggies demolish the cheats.

richardjackson199
03-18-2018, 06:57 PM
From ESPN Analytics guy:

"Duke became the second-most likely team to win the title once Michigan State lost, but UNC's deficit has caused Cincinnati to basically pull back even with the Blue Devils at 20% (because UNC is toughest possible semifinal matchup for Bearcats)"

Pretty funny, because I can promise you every Duke fan out there is rooting for A&M and doesn't care if this pulls Cincy's chances back even with us.

YmoBeThere
03-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Gig'em!!!!!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Between this UNC L and the UVa loss this first weekend has to rank up there for me.

Oh... and that this Duke team is finally looking like the team we thought they were helps.

Well, yeah, but I'm not celebrating until the body is cold and in the ground.

Danke Shane
03-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Golly, those second round matchups vs an SEC school can be pretty tough, eh?

ns7
03-18-2018, 07:01 PM
Golly, those second round matchups vs an SEC school can be pretty tough, eh?

Well, this one's in Charlotte instead of Houston so that should help UNC.

:-P

CameronCrazy'11
03-18-2018, 07:02 PM
From ESPN Analytics guy:

"Duke became the second-most likely team to win the title once Michigan State lost, but UNC's deficit has caused Cincinnati to basically pull back even with the Blue Devils at 20% (because UNC is toughest possible semifinal matchup for Bearcats)"

Pretty funny, because I can promise you every Duke fan out there is rooting for A&M and doesn't care if this pulls Cincy's chances back even with us.

Based on that explanation, it's not really Cinci gaining at Duke's expense. More that it's likelier for Cinci to make it to the title game.

kAzE
03-18-2018, 07:04 PM
After all the hand wringing over being sent to the Midwest instead of the "wide open" West, we got to play against a very undersized URI team to cruise to the sweet 16, while UNC is getting flat out dominated by Robert Williams and the Aggies. Meanwhile, the highest seeded team remaining in UK's path to the Elite 8 is Kansas St.

Kind of shows how pointless it is to call any region a "bracket of death."

TKG
03-18-2018, 07:04 PM
Well, this one's in Charlotte instead of Houston so that should help UNC.

:-P

How's the pollen in Charlotte today? Just trying to get a jump on tomorrow's headline in the Charlotte Observer.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 07:08 PM
WTF are they doing? I've seen murder juries take less time

MChambers
03-18-2018, 07:09 PM
WTF are they doing?

UNC fouled a guy nowhere near the ball. Good call. About time that call is made.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2018, 07:12 PM
At least Roy still has three timeouts.

Coballs
03-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Waiting for Ol’ Roy to try to rip his jacket. Would be the perfect ending.

devildeac
03-18-2018, 07:15 PM
At least Roy still has three timeouts.

There's your TO. Oh, wait, it's the under 4:00 TO.

MChambers
03-18-2018, 07:16 PM
There's your TO. Oh, wait, it's the under 4:00 TO.

He just used one!

Papa John
03-18-2018, 07:18 PM
UNC fouled a guy nowhere near the ball. Good call. About time that call is made.

I’m sorry... I’m glad UNCheat is going to lose this game, but that call was absolutely awful. There was no need to delay the game, and no reason to call a flagrant one there. We’re I in charge of officiating, this crew would be done for the tourney. You can’t make up rules or new interpretations of existing rules.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 07:18 PM
I’m sorry... I’m glad UNCheat is going to lose this game, but that call was absolutely awful. There was no need to delay the game, and no reason to call a flagrant one there. We’re I in charge of officiating, this crew would be done for the tourney. You can’t make up rules or new interpretations of existing rules.

That was pathetic......and my God, we've come across a disturbance in the time space continuum......this is taking friggin forever.

kako
03-18-2018, 07:19 PM
What are the odds that Roy says something to the effect of "I wouldn't trade these guys for anything"?

9F Aggie Aggie

ndkjr70
03-18-2018, 07:20 PM
There's some spectacular irony in the fact that we're about to see consecutive losses. First, from "Go Green and White!". Next, from "Can't Read and Write!"

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 07:22 PM
The Aggies are a wonderful passing team. They understand the angles so well. Very well coached today. Now, why this team ever had a slump? I've no idea.

MChambers
03-18-2018, 07:23 PM

I disagree. A team should not be rewarded for intentionally fouling a player 30 feet from the ball. Foul shot plus possession is the right way to handle it.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 07:24 PM
I disagree. A team should not be rewarded for intentionally fouling a player 30 feet from the ball. Foul shot plus possession is the right way to handle it.

The just call it and don't stop the friggin game ten minutes. That was ridiculous.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-18-2018, 07:25 PM
That was a strong effort from A&M. They defended, rebounded and made shots...and played with confidence and composure. They deserved the win, and they totally outplayed UNC in this game.

UNC just couldn’t find any scoring rhythm. Much of it was due to A&M’s size on defense, but also the open shots just didn’t fall mid game and they got frustrated. UNC was one dimensional, and had to rely on shooting when the inside game couldn’t get going...that caught up with them on an off shooting game.

I think this years team was a success from the standpoint of the makeup of the team. Roy got the max out of them, IMO. Fans have to be realistic and understand the game is extremely competitive and teams have to be complete to face all these different matchups...or lucky to avoid them.

There wasn’t the balance of inside/outside play necessary from UNC to meet a challenge of a matchup like the athleticism of A&M on a night the shots don’t fall.

trinity92
03-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Anything that prolongs this is fine by me!

kako
03-18-2018, 07:26 PM
The Aggies are a wonderful passing team. They understand the angles so well. Very well coached today. Now, why this team ever had a slump? I've no idea.

A Big 12 friend from KU told me that A&M was soft as a pillow. I had them going out last game. I was wrong, but happily so now.

richardjackson199
Bye bye Berry.
Adios Theo
Bahh Bahh Bah bye
Ahhhh See ya

wavedukefan70s
A & M looked unbelievable. I know it's unc.but I hate to see any senior go out like that.putting all things aside I feel for their players.
I hope most of their fanbase suffers embarrassment for weeks though.

Bluedevil114
03-18-2018, 07:27 PM
I have not been over to the IC boards since Duke beat them at Cameron. Tonight will be lots of fun.

elvis14
03-18-2018, 07:27 PM
It's always good to see student athletes beat the Cheats who should be in the middle of a 5 year post season ban. After last year's asterisk championship embarrassed the NCAA and made a mockery of the whole system, it's great to see this year's tournament take a turn towards legitimacy with the Aggies crushing the Cheaters.

Ballboy1998
03-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Well, after years and years of the fans over at the dump on the hump mindlessly bleating the emptiest of basketball platitudes, I am happy to return the favor: Live by the three, die by the three!

kako
Anybody have a link to the post game presser?

TKG
That last three minutes was brutal listening to Nantz slobber all over the Cheats. Good grief!

CDu
03-18-2018, 07:29 PM
That was a strong effort from A&M. They defended, rebounded and made shots...and played with confidence and composure. They deserved the win, and they totally outplayed UNC in this game.

UNC just couldn’t find any scoring rhythm. Much of it was due to A&M’s size on defense, but also the open shots just didn’t fall mid game and they got frustrated. UNC was one dimensional, and had to rely on shooting we n. T ( which caught up with them on an off shooting game.

I think this years team was a success from the standpoint of the makeup of the team. Roy got the max out of them, IMO. Fans have to be realistic and understand the game is extremely competitive and

There wasn’t the balance of inside/outside play necessary to meet a challenge of a matchup like the athleticism of A&M on a night the shots don’t fall.

Yep, this team did about as well as could be expected. They just didn’t have the same combination of talent and experience that they had the previous two years. This just wasn’t a 30-win team talentwise.

Next year will be interesting: it will be Roy’s youngest team since 2006.

Dr. Rosenrosen
Usually at a moment like this I put on my Duke gear and take a ride to the chapel hill Whole Foods to meander around the store. But I may have to order up an A&M shirt and head over later in the week.

elvis14
A & M looked unbelievable. I know it's unc.but I hate to see any senior go out like that.putting all things aside I feel for their players.
I hope most of their fanbase suffers embarrassment for weeks though.

Their players chose to go play for UNCheat AFTER we all found out they were a bunch of cheaters. Not only do I not feel for their players, I hope their players miss every shot they ever take in every game, ever. That includes throwing wadded up trash into a waste basket. Thank you T A&M.

dukelifer
03-18-2018, 07:31 PM
You all can thank me. I made a pie bet with Troublemaker to produce this loss. His pie prowess is remarkable. I never thought my loss would taste this good though. I thought maybe a buzzer beater in the final eight. A beat down in the round of 32 is very satisfying- maybe better than pie. Place your order Troublemaker!

ChrisP
03-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Oh...HAPPY DAY!!! UNC got soooo many gifts in last year's tourney from the un-called walk on Berry vs. Arkansas to the atrocious calls on Gonzaga's big men in the championship game so this seems fitting to get a colossal beat down (Ol' Roy's worst defeat in the tourney) in front of essentially a home crowd in Charlotte. This might be the greatest weekend in sports, EVER! :cool:

richardjackson199
03-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Yep, this team did about as well as could be expected. They just didn’t have the same combination of talent and experience that they had the previous two years. This just wasn’t a 30-win team talentwise.

Next year will be interesting: it will be Roy’s youngest team since 2006.

I think Cheats will be better next year. They lose Berry and Pinson. But Nas Little will be huge upgrade in talent who can play well above rim. Expect Maye, Williams, and Cam Johnson to be even better. Their bigs should improve some. Their ultimate success will depend on how good White is. Wheat thinks he's good, so we'll see. He won't be Berry, but they'll be a very good, experienced team overall.

Duke, OTOH will be K's youngest team ever. But we should be ok. :cool:

richardjackson199
03-18-2018, 07:37 PM
You all can thank me. I made a pie bet with Troublemaker to produce this loss. His pie prowess is remarkable. I never thought my loss would taste this good though. I thought maybe a buzzer beater in the final eight. A beat down in the round of 32 is very satisfying- maybe better than pie. Place your order Troublemaker!

He ordered blue berry (not really)

And I did my best to help the cause by not betting on the cheats to fail! :cool:

Dukehky
03-18-2018, 07:39 PM
I think Cheats will be better next year. They lose Berry and Pinson. But Nas Little will be huge upgrade in talent who can play well above rim. Expect Maye, Williams, and Cam Johnson to be even better. Their bigs should improve some. Their ultimate success will depend on how good White is. Wheat thinks he's good, so we'll see. He won't be Berry, but they'll be a very good, experienced team overall.

Don't forget Coby White. That dude can ball. But, for a change, their best players will be young. Williams, Maye, and Johnson is a formidable group to put around that actual talent though.

Best case scenario is that Roy does something stupid like start Seventh Woods.

I also dgaf about their seniors. They won a natty and went to a final four while getting nearly every break imaginable (the greatest of which being that they were even allowed to play in the tournament). They can suck an egg.

wallyman
03-18-2018, 07:41 PM

UNC just couldn’t find any scoring rhythm. Much of it was due to A&M’s size on defense, but also the open shots just didn’t fall mid game and they got frustrated. UNC was one dimensional, and had to rely on shooting when the inside game couldn’t get going...that caught up with them on an off shooting game.

I think this years team was a success from the standpoint of the makeup of the team. Roy got the max out of them, IMO. Fans have to be realistic and understand the game is extremely competitive and teams have to be complete to face all these different matchups...or lucky to avoid them.

There wasn’t the balance of inside/outside play necessary from UNC to meet a challenge of a matchup like the athleticism of A&M on a night the shots don’t fall.

Completely thrilled to see the Heels lose, but thanks to Wheat and our UVA friends for being such worthy posters. They all make the board more interesting.

CDu

I would hesitate to say they will be better. Experience matters, especially at UNC. They will be replacing a senior top-20 talent with a freshman top-10 talent, and a senior top-30 talent with a freshman top-30 talent. They won’t be bad, but I will be surprised if they are better next year than this year.

DangerDevil
Waiting for Ol’ Roy to try to rip his jacket. Would be the perfect ending.

I don’t think that was Tear-Away Tweed

weezie
03-18-2018, 07:42 PM
The Aggies are a wonderful passing team. They understand the angles so well...

Gee whiz, are they ever. Scary good. Velcro hands for the most part today, too. Very few balls getting slapped out.

dukelifer
03-18-2018, 07:45 PM
Don't forget Coby White. That dude can ball. But, for a change, their best players will be young. Williams, Maye, and Johnson is a formidable group to put around that actual talent though.

Best case scenario is that Roy does something stupid like start Seventh Woods.

I also dgaf about their seniors. They won a natty and went to a final four while getting nearly every break imaginable (the greatest of which being that they were even allowed to play in the tournament). They can suck an egg.

Take it a year at a time. They will be relevant as usual and they have a really good core- so I suspect they will be more than solid. Duke has more question marks than UNC - although Duke will have some very intriguing pieces to work with.

kAzE
03-18-2018, 07:47 PM
I'm sure we would have matched up a little better with A&M than UNC did, but holy smokes I'm glad they are far away from our bracket. Those guys looked incredible. Williams is a monster.

The SEC is legit. They even had some serious NBA talent outside of Lexington this year.

FerryFor50
03-18-2018, 07:51 PM
That last three minutes was brutal listening to Nantz slobber all over the Cheats. Good grief!

Eulogies are supposed to be nice. 😁

FerryFor50
03-18-2018, 07:52 PM
I'm sure we would have matched up a little better with A&M than UNC did, but holy smokes I'm glad they are far away from our bracket. Those guys looked incredible. Williams is a monster.

The SEC is legit. They even had some serious NBA talent outside of Lexington this year.

Williams was a possible first rounder last year but decided to return.

richardjackson199
03-18-2018, 07:54 PM
I wonder if Roy Williams will still ask how Tiger Woods is doing at the press conference. Maybe he should have been more focused on today's game. Glad he saved those timeouts so he could watch more golf.

WHOneedsSOX
03-18-2018, 07:57 PM
I wonder if Bilas still thinks Berry has had a better college career than Laettner...

Kidding, but he did say if Berry made the final 4 this year it would go down as a better college career than Laettner.

FerryFor50
03-18-2018, 08:00 PM
I wonder if Bilas still thinks Berry has had a better college career than Laettner...

Kidding, but he did say if Berry made the final 4 this year it would go down as a better college career than Laettner.

Weird. Bilas never says anything stupid.

DU82
03-18-2018, 08:02 PM

I thought it was Kenny Smith who said that, not Jay. Kenny was awful (ly quiet) on the set today.

devildeac
03-18-2018, 08:03 PM
From Ben Swain on Twitter:

Sweet 16

dukelifer
03-18-2018, 08:04 PM
I thought it was Kenny Smith who said that, not Jay. Kenny was awful (ly quiet) on the set today.

yes- Smith said it. Both Smith and Barkley will be quiet. Auburn basically scoreless for 10 minutes.

DU82
03-18-2018, 08:04 PM
From Ben Swain on Twitter:

Sweet 16

Did he get that from the ceiling or the roof?

kAzE
03-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Williams was a possible first rounder last year but decided to return.

I remember that, but this was the first time I've seen him in action, and he's much more dominant than I could have imagined. He's got everything: size, length, timing, fluidity, leaping ability, and soft hands. He's everything you want in a center in the modern NBA. He looks like he could be a long term starter in the league whenever he decides to go pro.

rsvman
03-18-2018, 08:06 PM
It's a great day to be a blue devil.

Papa John
03-18-2018, 08:07 PM

That happens in games on all levels all year long every single year without flagrant ones or intentional being called, let alone after a 10-minute delay. That was pathetic officiating. It was a simple contact foul, end of story. Jeez... I can’t believe I’m having to defend Carolina in any respect... ugh, I need to shower...

WHOneedsSOX
03-18-2018, 08:08 PM
yes- Smith said it. Both Smith and Barkley will be quiet. Auburn basically scoreless for 10 minutes.

Ahh I thought it was Bilas. Thanks for the correction.

richardjackson199
03-18-2018, 08:16 PM
From ESPN Analytics guy:

so much for 20% after Cincy blew 22 point lead with 11:34 left

TKG
03-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Ahh I thought it was Bilas. Thanks for the correction.

Bills would have said something like "if Carolina has just made 8 more three pointers......."

dudog84
03-18-2018, 08:18 PM

I think you're on the wrong board. :)

PackMan97
03-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Its such a shame Carolina had the easiest bracket.

Philsfan
03-18-2018, 08:51 PM
And as Ole’ Roy wandered off toward the idling buses, he could be heard absent-mindedly muttering to himself...”D’AGGIE’GUMMITT!”

Wheat/"/"/"
03-18-2018, 08:54 PM
I would hesitate to say they will be better. Experience matters, especially at UNC. They will be replacing a senior top-20 talent with a freshman top-10 talent, and a senior top-30 talent with a freshman top-30 talent. They won’t be bad, but I will be surprised if they are better next year than this year.

I think we’ll see UNC return to better balance next year and will be a top ten team.

Tony Bradley leaving early last year was a little unexpected. I think Roy thought he would be a two year guy, and it caught him off guard, especially when UNC missed on a couple of 5* bigs he was after, that hurt. Had Bradley been on this team, I’d think UNC would have been a #1 seed and favorite to go the distance. Recruiting and team building is not an exact science, sometimes things don’t work out as planned. There are injuries, transfers, etc...all in all I think Roy is a great team builder, but even he misses on occasion.

Manley is going to be a beast in the post when he gets in shape, and UNC is among the best at having their players physically fit, so I expect him to be ready for prime time next season. He has all the necessary tools inside except strength and getting rid of a freshman’s intensity now. A season of play has shown him what he needs to do to take it to the next level. He’s a starter from day one next year and a player teams will have to prepare for.

Colby White is the player I’m most excited about. He takes people off the dribble and puts great pressure on defenses. And he can finish at the rim. He will be key to creating shots for Williams, Maye and Cam, assuming he returns, which is not a given.

Little has the athleticism/overall game at the 3/4 that UNC hasn’t had, but sorely needs at that position, to reach final four heights.
As a freshman, he will need some time to adjust to the bigger college players he’ll face. If Cam returns, that’s a best case scenario to bring him along slowly during season. I’ve only seen highlights, but he appears to be the real deal, OAD. He may be too good to keep off the floor, and Cam becomes the 6th man, we’ll see.

Solid play off the bench from Platek, Brooks, and Robinson can be expected.

The big question is at PG. Can Woods run the team or will White take that role. Some see White as more of a combo guard, but I hear Roy thinks he can be a good PG. At any rate, there will not be pressure on the PG to score like was on Berry this year, the team will have plenty of options, so Woods experience and solid defense may get him the nod, at least early.

I wouldn’t expect UNC to be down next year, they will be in the hunt.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 08:56 PM
so much for 20% after Cincy blew 22 point lead with 11:34 left

second big time rally for Nevada....in two games.

Now as for Clemson. SHEESH

richardjackson199
03-18-2018, 08:59 PM
I think we’ll see UNC return to better balance next year and will be a top ten team.

Tony Bradley leaving early last year was a little unexpected. I think Roy thought he would be a two year guy, and it caught him off guard, especially when UNC missed on a couple of 5* bigs he was after, that hurt. Had Bradley been on this team, I’d think UNC would have been a #1 seed and favorite to go the distance. Recruiting and team building is not an exact science, sometimes things don’t work out as planned. There are injuries, transfers, etc...all in all I think Roy is a great team builder, but even he misses on occasion.

Manley is going to be a beast in the post when he gets in shape, and UNC is among the best at having their players physically fit, so I expect him to be ready for prime time next season. He has all the necessary tools inside except strength and gettin rid of a freshman’s intensity now. A season of play has shown him what he needs to do to take it to the next level. He’s a starter from day one next year and a player teams will have to prepare for.

Colby White is the player I’m most excited about. He takes people off the dribble and puts great pressure on defenses. And he can finish at the rim. He will be key to creating shots for Williams, Maye and Cam, assuming he returns, which is not a given.

Little has the athleticism/overall game at the 3/4 that UNC hasn’t had, but sorely needs at that position, to reach final four heights.
As a freshman, he will need some time to adjust to the bigger college players he’ll face. If Cam returns, that’s a best case scenario to bring him along slowly during season. I’ve only seen highlights, but he appears to be the real deal, OAD. He may be too good to keep off the floor, and Cam becomes the 6th man, we’ll see.

The big question is at PG. Can Woods run the team or will White take that role. Some see White as more of a combo guard, but I hear Roy thinks he can be a good PG. At any rate, there will not be pressure on the PG to score like was on Berry this year, the team will have plenty of options, so Woods experience and solid defense may get him the nod, at least early.

Sounds like Wheat is ready for another pie bet with Troublemaker.

gam7
03-18-2018, 09:15 PM
Why is Kevin White at the FSU-Xavier game? Sitting first row, right next to Xavier bench.

richardjackson199
03-18-2018, 09:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6F6KKB3V6s

A&M starts after 3 minute mark

Roy starts around 20 minute mark

75Crazie
03-18-2018, 09:24 PM
That is a Captain Obvious statement if there ever was one. After playing the NCAA like a fiddle and getting away scot-free with decades of academic abuse, designed solely to benefit the men's basketball program ... how the heck could they ever NOT be in the hunt?

rolm
03-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Hope FSU can win vs Xavier since all other ACC teams that advanced are in the same region. It would be nice to have representation in more than one region in the round of 16.

devildeac
03-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Did he get that from the ceiling or the roof?

Perhaps from the dean's myth center.

richardjackson199
03-18-2018, 09:35 PM

A&M starts after 3 minute mark

Roy starts around 20 minute mark

Roy gets emotional and says, "I think about jumping off the top of the building right now, but I don't think about retirement."

Roy goes on a tangent about how easily he cries and says, "I had a writer one day say I guess we're going to get to watch Roy cry today, and I'm not ashamed of it, but I'll tell you 1 thing - I told that sucker, Come tell me that to my face and he ran his a** out of the room, quickly too..."

robed deity
03-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Roy gets emotional and says, "I think about jumping off the top of the building right now, but I don't think about retirement."

Roy goes on a tangent about how easily he cries and says, "I had a writer one day say I guess we're going to get to watch Roy cry today, and I'm not ashamed of it, but I'll tell you 1 thing - I told that sucker, Come tell me that to my face and he ran his a** out of the room, quickly too..."

Gosh that man says some bizarre things.

weezie
03-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Gosh that man says some bizarre things.

Holy cow, does he ever. Good thing he's getting a rest now.

Troublemaker
03-18-2018, 10:12 PM

Manley is going to be a beast in the post when he gets in shape, and UNC is among the best at having their players physically fit, so I expect him to be ready for prime time next season. He has all the necessary tools inside except strength and getting rid of a freshman’s intensity now. A season of play has shown him what he needs to do to take it to the next level. He’s a starter from day one next year and a player teams will have to prepare for.

Sounds like Wheat is ready for another pie bet with Troublemaker.

There are at least two things in there that I want to make a pie bet on. But I'm going to continue to enjoy this season and wait to discuss next season when it's time.

So, to make it easier to search for Wheat's post weeks or months from now, I'm going to leave a random word here: Flibbertigibbet.

Bluedog
03-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Florida State on the verge possibly...I don't understand pulling it out when have a 3 on 1 breakaway up one for FSU... Get the two points! I guess he didn't think it was a gimme, but they sure had the advantage.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2018, 11:06 PM
What an insane weekend of basketball.

Chard
03-18-2018, 11:06 PM
FSU on the cusp of a program win? This bigger than that ACC ship?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2018, 11:08 PM
Did more favored teams lose Saturday and Sunday, or win?

Bluedog
03-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Left side of bracket possibly with no 1s or 2s in S16. Wonder if that's ever happened.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2018, 11:10 PM
Say goodnight, Xavier.

Furniture
03-18-2018, 11:13 PM
Say goodnight, Xavier.

Another one and done.....

Utley
03-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Left side of bracket possibly with no 1s or 2s in S16. Wonder if that's ever happened.

And the only won a miracle three pointer - crazy.

Trey21
03-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Happy for Hamilton. Always admired his consistency and tonight might be the programs biggest night. Congrats to FSU. A program that kinda gets lost in the shuffle of the history of the ACC in terms of basketball, but they've been really solid for the past 15-20 years.

DUKIE V(A)
03-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Based on his oh so strange postgame interview, Ol' Roy acknowledged not enjoying receiving mail addressed to "Mr. Cheating Bastard" ... Weird how that happens when you CHEAT.

elvis14
03-18-2018, 11:29 PM
Based on his oh so strange postgame interview, Ol' Roy acknowledged not enjoying receiving mail addressed to "Mr. Cheating Bastard" ... Weird how that happens when you CHEAT.

Could you post an address to which we can send this mail?

BlueDevilBrowns
03-18-2018, 11:30 PM

I’m not sure, but it speaks to how poorly the committee seeded the teams this year.

We have a bracket that is completely out of balance now.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-18-2018, 11:32 PM

I wish a reporter would have asked “Coach Williams, if it was just addressed to “Mr Cheating Bastard”, how did you know the letter was for you?”

OldPhiKap
03-19-2018, 07:06 AM

It’s good to know that he gets my letters.

Elvis, send them c/o the athletic department.

Office phone: tel:919-962-1154

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-19-2018, 07:32 AM
I wish a reporter would have asked “Coach Williams, if it was just addressed to “Mr Cheating Bastard”, how did you know the letter was for you?”
I move that from this moment forward he is no longer referred to on this board as Roy or Ol Roy but instead Mr Cheating Bastard or MrCB or maybe MCB.

You reap what you sow.

whereinthehellami
03-19-2018, 08:11 AM
What a great weekend, thanks cheats. The proverbial cherry on top.

As far as next goes, their potential is about the same as this year imo. Just a different cast of players. Ball handling/passing is going to be really difficult to replace with Berry and Pinson (leadership) leaving. White is a RSCI #25 recruit, not top 10, so expect some significant adjustment. I'm sure Woods will be better but he is not the guy to drive a top 10 team. Williams is not known as a great ball handler and they will need his scoring. Unless they can get a reclassification or graduate transfer, this issue will limit their potential.

More to come after our season is done on the shortcomings of the cheats.

DrChainsaw
03-19-2018, 08:26 AM
It would be interesting to see how well predictions of a “rebuilding year” for Carolina correlate with the subsequent season’s record.

I’m guessing not very well and certainly not well enough to suit me.

Spanarkel
03-19-2018, 08:39 AM
It’s good to know that he gets my letters.

Elvis, send them c/o the athletic department.

Office phone: tel:919-962-1154

I can confirm that this is indeed the Carolina Basketball office phone.

howardlander
03-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Am I the only one that looked at the UNC loss yesterday and Duke's loss last year to USC at the same point in the tournament and thought "Huh maybe playing 4 games in 4 days isn't the best preparation for the NCAA tournament"? It could be physical, emotional or both, but in any case the teams that play 4 games in the ACC tournament and lost in the second round of the NCAA are playing their 6th game in 11 or 12 days. At the end of a long season, maybe that's a factor. OK, so the first thing I thought yesterday was "serves the cheating bastards right", but I did think about the other thing relatively quickly :)

uh_no
03-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Am I the only one that looked at the UNC loss yesterday and Duke's loss last year to USC at the same point in the tournament and thought "Huh maybe playing 4 games in 4 days isn't the best preparation for the NCAA tournament"? It could be physical, emotional or both, but in any case the teams that play 4 games in the ACC tournament and lost in the second round of the NCAA are playing their 6th game in 11 or 12 days. At the end of a long season, maybe that's a factor. OK, so the first thing I thought yesterday was "serves the cheating bastards right", but I did think about the other thing relatively quickly :)

that ship sailed when uconn went 11/11. I'm skeptical that team was magically more fit than any of these ACC teams.

There's a difference between playing teams in the same league that you see all the time and teams you never heard of before last week.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2018, 10:56 AM

Michigan St. and Ohio St. both lost yesterday, and the Big10 had a week off I think.

I agree that playing four days ending on Sunday, then drawing a Thursday game across the country, was rough. Moving the ACCT final back to Saturday is much better. I don't think our loss to S.Carolina last year, or UNC's loss yesterday, were related to being tired.

FerryFor50
03-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Michigan St. and Ohio St. both lost yesterday, and the Big10 had a week off I think.

I agree that playing four days ending on Sunday, then drawing a Thursday game across the country, was rough. Moving the ACCT final back to Saturday is much better. I don't think our loss to S.Carolina last year, or UNC's loss yesterday, were related to being tired.

The USC loss last year had to do with defensive deficiencies coming to a head; not being ready for a physical opponent playing a home game; off shooting night for Kennard and foul trouble.

UNC's loss this year had to do with them playing way over their talent level and running into a more athletic, bigger team.

wilson
03-19-2018, 11:30 AM

I agree that playing four days ending on Sunday, then drawing a Thursday game across the country, was rough. Moving the ACCT final back to Saturday is much better. I don't think our loss to S.Carolina last year, or UNC's loss yesterday, were related to being tired.Interesting counterpoint: I've talked to several B1G fans in the last couple of days who are adamantly convinced that their early conference toonamunt this year (a result of their desire to play it in the already-booked Madison Square Garden) led to rustiness and generally underwhelming performance in the big toonamunt. I'd be willing to bet that this is the B1G's first and last foray into the awkward timing and geographic fit of NYC.

UrinalCake
03-19-2018, 11:56 AM
UNC didn’t play their opening round game until Friday and only had to travel to Charlotte, so yeah I don’t think the ACCT had much to do with it. The way that our seasons have been mirror images of last season is somewhat uncanny; hopefully with the same final result (i.e. Duke winning it all).

El_Diablo
03-19-2018, 12:02 PM
Oscar-winning writer/director/comedian Jordan Peele, after getting flooded with congratulations that were intended for Michigan's Jordan Poole:

Jordan Peele @JordanPeele
I wanna thank everyone for the congratulatory messages. When you practice your jump shot as much as I have, you just hope one day it’ll pay off. ��

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-19-2018, 01:37 PM
The USC loss last year had to do with defensive deficiencies coming to a head; not being ready for a physical opponent playing a home game; off shooting night for Kennard and foul trouble.

UNC's loss this year had to do with them playing way over their talent level and running into a more athletic, bigger team.

...and being incapable of taking a shot from within twenty feet of the basket for about twenty minutes of game time.

Seriously, MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor) who has personal ties with Roy almost blew a gasket. He says the next time Roy makes in game adjustments will be the first time.

DUKIE V(A)
03-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Could you post an address to which we can send this mail?

I may look up the address and post it, but in the meantime please enjoy listening to Ol' Roy AKA Mr. Cheating Bastard himself at the 31:30 mark below. 😂

Ian
03-20-2018, 01:09 AM
...and being incapable of taking a shot from within twenty feet of the basket for about twenty minutes of game time.

Seriously, MTHN (My Tar Heel Neighbor) who has personal ties with Roy almost blew a gasket. He says the next time Roy makes in game adjustments will be the first time.

It wasn't that they didn't try to take it inside, it was everything inside was denied by the huge and athletic A&M frontline. The inside domination was what turned UNC into a jump shooting team.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2018, 07:31 AM
It wasn't that they didn't try to take it inside, it was everything inside was denied by the huge and athletic A&M frontline. The inside domination was what turned UNC into a jump shooting team.

I disagree. For the last five minutes of the first half and first ten of the second half they were popping poor threes, early in the clock, with no one to rebound. No drive and dish, no eight foot jumpers, not pick and roll. It was a stubborn game plan, and even though it wasn't working at all, Roy stuck with it.

Roy is a dang good coach for the most part, but his inflexibility cost them the chance to get back in that game.

Granted, their opponent was playing good D and getting all the bounces, but when you are 2-22 from three, maybe you switch up you strategy.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 07:36 AM
I disagree. For the last five minutes of the first half and first ten of the second half they were popping poor threes, early in the clock, with no one to rebound. No drive and dish, no eight foot jumpers, not pick and roll. It was a stubborn game plan, and even though it wasn't working at all, Roy stuck with it.

Roy is a dang good coach for the most part, but his inflexibility cost them the chance to get back in that game.

Granted, their opponent was playing good D and getting all the bounces, but when you are 2-22 from three, maybe you switch up you strategy.

I think Roy ended with two timeouts, I know he still had three late into the game. Maybe Roy, call a timeout to break the TAMU run? Nah. Never.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-20-2018, 08:47 AM
I think Roy ended with two timeouts, I know he still had three late into the game. Maybe Roy, call a timeout to break the TAMU run? Nah. Never.
I know we’re picking on Mr Cheating Bastard, but I don’t think any number of timeouts would have stopped the Aggies. They weren’t just on a run... they were laying down a merciless butt whipping.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 09:08 AM
I know we’re picking on Mr Cheating Bastard, but I don’t think any number of timeouts would have stopped the Aggies. They weren’t just on a run... they were laying down a merciless butt whipping.

True. And it was thoroughly enjoyed in the OPK family. Still, though, you would think a HOF coach like Mr. Cheating Bastard would at least try to stem the tide a bit. Y'know -- coach or something.

I have never understood his unwillingness to do so, and apparently most UNC fans cannot either. It really is indefensible.

Good news for Mr. Cheating Bastard is, the weather should clear up by mid-week and it's a great time to hit the links.

elvis14
03-20-2018, 09:20 AM
I may look up the address and post it, but in the meantime please enjoy listening to Ol' Roy AKA Mr. Cheating Bastard himself at the 31:30 mark below. 😂

Wow, he should have just held up a sign that says "Everyone that is not OK with the NCAA letting my cheating program buy their way out of decades of foul play, please send me a letter addressed to 'Mr. Cheating Bastard'".

Thanks for the link. Folks remember that if you put 'Mr. Cheating Bastard' on the envelope it might not get to MCB. You probably need to put Roy's daggum name on the outside and use MCB in the actual letter. Of course we could just send empty envelopes to MCB everyday to get our point across.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Wow, he should have just held up a sign that says "Everyone that is not OK with the NCAA letting my cheating program buy their way out of decades of foul play, please send me a letter addressed to 'Mr. Cheating Bastard'".

Thanks for the link. Folks remember that if you put 'Mr. Cheating Bastard' on the envelope it might not get to MCB. You probably need to put Roy's daggum name on the outside and use MCB in the actual letter. Of course we could just send empty envelopes to MCB everyday to get our point across.

Friendly reminder -- I know we are joking about this topic, but do not send anything in the US Mail that can be considered personally threatening.

I know I don't have to say that, but -- I'm saying that.

UrinalCake
03-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Finally got around to perusing IC for fun. Their fans are complaining about Roy’s OVER-use of the bench. Early on the CHeats were up with a small lead and Roy brought in three bench players, and A&M promptly went on a run to take control of the game which they would never relinquish. CHeat fans are actually saying Roy should have played iron man with the starters rather than putting in the bench.

Pretty interesting to read that as a Duke fan. We’ve had the luxury of playing our bench liberally with big leads, but our starters are accustomed to playing 35+ minutes because they’ve been doing it all year. It’s almost as if Coach K knows how to prepare his team for the tournament!

elvis14
03-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Friendly reminder -- I know we are joking about this topic, but do not send anything in the US Mail that can be considered personally threatening.

I know I don't have to say that, but -- I'm saying that.

Thanks, never crossed my mind to send anything personally threatening. Perhaps a form letter that's just a list of things like:

- McCants
- Tami
- Championship team where every member who did graduate did so with an AFAM degree
- Wheels for Heels
- Smoky Will Graves
- PJ, the gift that kept on giving
- Mouth guards
- The long list of changes his university made while claiming they were innocent (why all the changes then?)
- A picture of crying Jordan
- That list that shows how many AFAM classes were taken by players (which shows that Mr. CB's players took more than ever before)
- Etc. etc. (too many to remember)

uh_no
03-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Thanks, never crossed my mind to send anything personally threatening. Perhaps a form letter that's just a list of things like:

- McCants
- Tami
- Championship team where every member who did graduate did so with an AFAM degree
- Wheels for Heels
- Smoky Will Graves
- PJ, the gift that kept on giving
- Mouth guards
- The long list of changes his university made while claiming they were innocent (why all the changes then?)
- A picture of crying Jordan
- That list that shows how many AFAM classes were taken by players (which shows that Mr. CB's players took more than ever before)
- Etc. etc. (too many to remember)

don't forget getting the school's accreditation put on probation!

UrinalCake
03-20-2018, 10:30 AM
^ Tydreke Powell could pen the prologue!

PackMan97
03-20-2018, 10:43 AM
don't forget getting the school's accreditation put on probation!

...or a football player copying their paper from a website put up by a 5th grader.
...or another football player taking 95% of their paper from a 100+ year old book on Africa
...or emails detailing multiple incidents of plagerism without a referral to the UNC Honor Court
...or a powerpoint presentation that mentions athletes will now have to stay awake in class.

Acymetric
03-20-2018, 10:51 AM
From ESPN Analytics guy:

I've got to be honest, I'm a little bit over ESPN (and others) beating this live odds to advance to x round/win the tournament thing into the ground. Like, after each game (or after each round ideally) and it would just be mostly noise but somewhat interesting. I'm just not sure how much more of "now that the Geoducks have taken a 14 point lead with 10 minutes to go, the Dodos' chance of advancing to the Final Four has risen from 12% to 33%" I can take (or ever needed, really). Thank god they aren't the ones broadcasting or it'd be all they talked about the entire game. Probably a split-screen with the game in one corner and live graphs of teams' odds in the other.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2018, 10:54 AM
I've got to be honest, I'm a little bit over ESPN (and others) beating this live odds to advance to x round/win the tournament thing into the ground. Like, after each game (or after each round ideally) and it would just be mostly noise but somewhat interesting. I'm just not sure how much more of "now that the Geoducks have taken a 14 point lead with 10 minutes to go, the Dodos' chance of advancing to the Final Four has risen from 12% to 33%" I can take (or ever needed, really). Thank god they aren't the ones broadcasting or it'd be all they talked about the entire game. Probably a split-screen with the game in one corner and live graphs of teams' odds in the other.

I could have sworn that Duke was a 98% lock to get a one seed a few weeks ago...

You folks enjoy sending letters to Old Roy, addressed however you like. Personally, I am fully engaged in the positivity of our team's opportunity to make the Final Four this weekend.

Plenty of time to wallow in the mess at the Dump on the Hump in the offseason. I am hoping to enjoy the next thirteen days of basketball season before I go down that road.

Let's go Duke!

devildeac
03-20-2018, 11:19 AM

Just getting around to viewing this. Thanks for the link. Other posters have already beat me to many of the thoughts/points/comments but the main one that stands out to me is how in the chapelhell did he and/or his staff know the correct recipient of the correspondence? :rolleyes:;)

I think Mr. CB or MCB is my new moniker for ol' roy:o.

English
03-20-2018, 12:47 PM
I could have sworn that Duke was a 98% lock to get a one seed a few weeks ago...

You folks enjoy sending letters to Old Roy, addressed however you like. Personally, I am fully engaged in the positivity of our team's opportunity to make the Final Four this weekend.

Plenty of time to wallow in the mess at the Dump on the Hump in the offseason. I am hoping to enjoy the next thirteen days of basketball season before I go down that road.

Let's go Duke!

That's certainly your prerogative, and I imagine most here are all-in on Duke's SI6GHTS forward...but perhaps you should stick to the Duke-Syracuse or NCAA Midwest region collector threads. There's nothing wrong with a little schadenfreude in the NCAA West region thread in the aftermath of an epic beatdown of the bad guys. Judgment of such just seems so preachy.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2018, 01:40 PM
That's certainly your prerogative, and I imagine most here are all-in on Duke's SI6GHTS forward...but perhaps you should stick to the Duke-Syracuse or NCAA Midwest region collector threads. There's nothing wrong with a little schadenfreude in the NCAA West region thread in the aftermath of an epic beatdown of the bad guys. Judgment of such just seems so preachy.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to be judgmental. The Holes deserve it. Just offering my own perspective.

I mean, 9-eff those guys. Watching them get steamrolled was satisfying.

BigWayne
03-20-2018, 02:27 PM
I caught the end of the Michigan/Houston game the other day as I relented and decided to watch a bit of the tournament besides Duke games. All the heels fault as I saw their shellacking on the internet and decided to tune in to enjoy the fun.

Anyway, this guy Wagner at Michigan, I took an instant dislike to him and was really not happy to see him moving on to the next round. Anyone else creeped out by this guy?

Truth&Justise
03-20-2018, 03:10 PM
I caught the end of the Michigan/Houston game the other day as I relented and decided to watch a bit of the tournament besides Duke games. All the heels fault as I saw their shellacking on the internet and decided to tune in to enjoy the fun.

Anyway, this guy Wagner at Michigan, I took an instant dislike to him and was really not happy to see him moving on to the next round. Anyone else creeped out by this guy?

No, why? Did he do anything unseemly? Mostly I thought he had an underwhelming game, especially for someone lauded as the key to Michigan's success. Maybe he'll pick up his play in the next round.

And he's actually getting recognized for his sportsmanship: he stopped early in the buzzer beater celebration to console/congratulate Houston's Cory Davis (https://twitter.com/JeffreyParson/status/975226685284024320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fwatch-michigan-apos-mo-wagner-194312678.html&tfw_site=YahooSports). That showing a lot of respect to your opponent.