PDA

View Full Version : NCAA East collector thread (Villanova #1 seed, Purdue #2)

JasonEvans
03-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Post your thoughts about the East region here. And don't forget to vote in the poll for who will win this bracket.

-Jason

weezie
03-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Cakewalk through a daisy field with bluebirds singing in the sunshine for nova.

UrinalCake
03-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Yeah I can't see any of these teams seriously threatening. In theory Florida could get hot from three, but I feel like we've been saying that for four months now. West Virginia is always tough with how physical they are. Haven't watched a lot of Purdue but they have good balance. It's a pretty easy pick to put Nova in the FF.

Wander
03-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Collin Sexton is the tournament's first weekend star. Bye Nova.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Don't sleep on Purdue.

Bob Green
03-12-2018, 06:07 PM
I'm picking Texas Tech to win the East. Why? I expect more than one #1 seed will not win their regional and make the final four. I'm beating it is two. I have a gut feeling Villanova will be one of the two; moreover, I was not impressed with Purdue the couple of times I saw them play this season so I am defaulting to the #3 seed Texas Tech Red Raiders.

rsvman
03-15-2018, 11:57 PM
Va Tech got screwed, at least a bit, by a charge call on Robinson instead of an and-1 that would've brought them to within one point in the last two minutes of the game. To top it off, the foul was Robinson's fifth, and then Buzz got a technical.
Ball game.
Didn't help that with about four minutes left in the half, Tech had more turnovers than field goals. And Sexton suddenly becomes Allen Iverson in the last few minutes of every close game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2018, 11:57 PM
Va Tech got screwed, at least a bit, by a charge call on Robinson instead of an and-1 that would've brought them to within one point in the last two minutes of the game. To top it off, the foul was Robinson's fifth, and then Buzz got a technical.
Ball game.
Didn't help that with about four minutes left in the half, Tech had more turnovers than field goals. And Sexton suddenly becomes Allen Iverson in the last few minutes of every close game.

Buzz botched that big time.

kAzE
03-16-2018, 12:53 AM
Rough first day for the ACC. Duke was the only team to advance, while Miami, Va Tech, and NC State were all sent home.

devildeac
03-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Rough first day for the ACC. Duke was the only team to advance, while Miami, Va Tech, and NC State were all sent home.

Partially because VT and NCSU didn't have to play Duke in their first games. :p

Dev11
03-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Ball game.

You can't get screwed by a good call. As Duke fans, we should be sympathetic to teams who take charges from Virginia Tech. I'll never forget you, Deron Washington.

UrinalCake
03-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Ball game.

I thought it was a close call that could have gone either way. But I also think what Buzz was upset about was that before the block/charge happened, an Alabama player appeared to foul Robinson swiping at his arm while he was driving to the basket. If the ref makes that call then the block/charge never even happens and VT is shooting free throws.

Objectively speaking it was a really exciting game though!

devildeac
03-16-2018, 09:56 AM
I thought it was a close call that could have gone either way. But I also think what Buzz was upset about was that before the block/charge happened, an Alabama player appeared to foul Robinson swiping at his arm while he was driving to the basket. If the ref makes that call then the block/charge never even happens and VT is shooting free throws.

A least some ref had the courage to T-up Buzz (stay the hell off the court, big fella:mad:).

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 10:33 AM

I think your theory on Buzz is 100% dead on. From my observation, and experience as player and coach, and announcing, is that frustration with officiating is cumulative. Buzz saw one foul missed, then the next second there is a controversial call against him as well.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 11:21 AM
I think your theory on Buzz is 100% dead on. From my observation, and experience as player and coach, and announcing, is that frustration with officiating is cumulative. Buzz saw one foul missed, then the next second there is a controversial call against him as well.

Regardless of his frustration, his loss of composure may have cost them the game. Numbskull move on his part.

VA_BDevil
03-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Regardless of his frustration, his loss of composure may have cost them the game. Numbskull move on his part.

To me it looked like Robinson released the shot before making contact with the defender. Regardless of the call, shouldn't the shot have counted?

VA_BDevil
03-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Well that was a "Shocker" in San Diego

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 03:56 PM
To me it looked like Robinson released the shot before making contact with the defender. Regardless of the call, shouldn't the shot have counted?

Doesn't matter if the call was right. It was his outburst that put the game out of reach. Dumb move.

pfrduke
03-16-2018, 04:41 PM

They changed that rule recently - any charge waves of the shot, whether or not the ball is released before contact.

Wahoo2000
03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Purdue's Haas out for season with broken elbow suffered today. SUCKS for Purdue. I genuinely believe they had a GREAT shot at winning a title. Really had all the pieces, except for a lot of tournament experience. Great shooting, great size inside, great rebounding and defense. Quite a blow.

CDu
03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Bad news for Purdue: Haas out for the rest of the tourney.

Blue KevIL
03-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Purdue's Haas out for season with broken elbow suffered today. SUCKS for Purdue. I genuinely believe they had a GREAT shot at winning a title. Really had all the pieces, except for a lot of tournament experience. Great shooting, great size inside, great rebounding and defense. Quite a blow.

Terrible news. Haas is a great kid.

FerryFor50
03-16-2018, 04:52 PM

Purdue is pretty star-crossed. 2nd time they had a solid chance to make a run derailed by losing a star player (Robbie Hummel tore his ACL back in 2010).

HereBeforeCoachK
03-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Purdue is pretty star-crossed. 2nd time they had a solid chance to make a run derailed by losing a star player (Robbie Hummel tore his ACL back in 2010).

Yep, that came to my mind too. Hummel was doing some color commentary for someone that I saw recently......

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 04:59 PM

Sucks for Haas, sucks for Purdue, but that resounding "thud" you heard was my brackets falling through the floor into the sub-basement.

Ugh.

devilsince1977
03-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Sucks for Haas, sucks for Purdue, but that resounding "thud" you heard was my brackets falling through the floor into the sub-basement.

Ugh.

My bracket got broke like an elbow also.

rsvman
03-16-2018, 05:54 PM

They changed the rule. The new rule makes no sense to me. If the ball is completely out of the shooter's hand before the foul occurs, how can it not count? Space-time is warped?

ice-9
03-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Could this bracket get any easier for Villanova? At least that pick is looking good.

subzero02
03-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Beware Sexton...

jv001
03-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Beware Sexton...

I hope it's not Sexton beware. :confused: GoDuke!

subzero02
03-17-2018, 12:20 PM
If the officials call our game this way, our guys need to be strong with the basketball at all times. The refs are swallowing their whistles in the post. Grayson will also need to keep his cool.

dukelifer
03-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Nova rolling now. They can be scary good when clicking.

ns7
03-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Nova rolling now. They can be scary good when clicking.

They look awesome. So fluid on offense.

ns7
03-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Villanova shot 42% from 3 but only 36% from 2. They also grabbed 35% of their misses. That's more because of Alabama's deficiency on the defense boards than because of Villanova's ability on the offensive glass.

Will be interesting to see how the game goes against WVU (if they win). WVU forces a lot of turnovers and fouls a lot. Villanova doesn't draw a lot of fouls and doesn't turn it over. Officials going to play a big role here. Guessing a loosely called game favors WVU because they would force turnovers without getting fouls called.

DU82
03-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Bad news for Purdue: Haas out for the rest of the tourney.

Update - report is that Haas is practicing, and may play tomorrow IF the NCAA clears the brace he's wearing. Wow.

CDu
03-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Update - report is that Haas is practicing, and may play tomorrow IF the NCAA clears the brace he's wearing. Wow.

Can’t imagine he would be very effective with a broken elbow on his shooting hand. If I were the opponent, I might just have foul him to test it out. I doubt he plays. And if he does, I doubt he will be useful.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 05:00 PM

That is stunning info.

Utley
03-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Crazy how much that Butler shot looked like 2010.

devildeac
03-18-2018, 02:25 PM
A Butler player should have leveled a Purdue player on their last play.:rolleyes::mad:

(Well, not really as they appeared to get off a great shot anyway without an illegal, vicious screen.)

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Crazy how much that Butler shot looked like 2010.

I can't believe Spanarkel didn't comment on just that....

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 02:39 PM
They changed the rule. The new rule makes no sense to me. If the ball is completely out of the shooter's hand before the foul occurs, how can it not count? Space-time is warped?

yes the space time continuum is apparently beyond the grasp of officials of all sports (think the NFL's different break the plane standards for ball carriers versus receivers....) - and yes, on this one in basketball too.

If I were to try and figure out why the rule has changed, it would be to release the officials from having to watch the ball, so they can watch the two bodies involved. But that's just a flier......

weezie
03-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Refs have just taken over this game and are handing it to wv. Dreadful calls even if only first half.

Bluedog
03-18-2018, 10:26 PM
Refs have just taken over this game and are handing it to wv. Dreadful calls even if only first half.

Refs in general have seemed bad this tournament unfortunately. I'd also like to see some time limit instituted on monitor reviews. If you can't figure it out in 3 minutes, it's too close to call and the call on court stands. Getting ridiculous at times.

thedukelamere
03-18-2018, 10:31 PM

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an offensive foul called like they just hit the kid from Marshall with... Just a brutal 5-7 point swing over a couple plays.

Not as bad as a tech for clapping, but close.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Refs in general have seemed bad this tournament unfortunately. I'd also like to see some time limit instituted on monitor reviews. If you can't figure it out in 3 minutes, it's too close to call and the call on court stands. Getting ridiculous at times.

....and about a million phantom reach ins on the and one situations.....sometimes there is literally zero contact. It's as if once you start to make a defensive move, you're not allowed to pull back.....that whistle still comes.

weezie
03-18-2018, 10:34 PM
I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an offensive foul called like they just hit the kid from Marshall with... Just a brutal 5-7 point swing over a couple plays.

Not as bad as a tech for clapping, but close.

Oh man, that was appalling. Straight up incompetence.

And three cheers for limiting the review time. Beyond stupid to let five minutes (???!!!) go by. The NFL does it faster than that!

brevity
03-19-2018, 12:35 AM
Sweet 16 Schedule -- East Region (Boston)

Friday, March 23

(5) West Virginia vs. (1) Villanova 7:27pm ET, TBS
(3) Texas Tech vs. (2) Purdue 9:57pm ET, TBS

El_Diablo
03-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Purdue engineers are trying to build an NCAA-compliant brace for Haas:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22837860/purdue-engineering-program-tasked-design-brace-isaac-haas

CDu
03-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Purdue engineers are trying to build an NCAA-compliant brace for Haas:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22837860/purdue-engineering-program-tasked-design-brace-isaac-haas

The issue remains whether or not he can do basketball things. As Painter noted in the article, Haas couldn’t even attempt a free throw last weekend. He isn’t going to put in Haas unless Haas can actually play. And I would not expect that to be the case so shortly after breaking the elbow on his shooting-hand side.

I can definitely understand Haas’s desire to try. But I can’t really see him playing, and certainly not playing well.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-21-2018, 05:12 AM
The issue remains whether or not he can do basketball things. As Painter noted in the article, Haas couldn’t even attempt a free throw last weekend. He isn’t going to put in Haas unless Haas can actually play. And I would not expect that to be the case so shortly after breaking the elbow on his shooting-hand side.

I can definitely understand Haas’s desire to try. But I can’t really see him playing, and certainly not playing well.

My understanding was that he was somehow a game time scratch last week, as the brace Purdue created was deemed ineligible by the NCAA. It seemed very unlikely to be. I suppose it could have been gamesmanship.

My brackets desperately hope they figure it out. Of course, my brackets are on life support too, and no rigged up brace is likely to save them.

CDu
03-21-2018, 07:59 AM
My understanding was that he was somehow a game time scratch last week, as the brace Purdue created was deemed ineligible by the NCAA. It seemed very unlikely to be. I suppose it could have been gamesmanship.

My brackets desperately hope they figure it out. Of course, my brackets are on life support too, and no rigged up brace is likely to save them.

Painter said that, even if the brace was allowed, he wouldn’t have played, because he couldn’t do basketball things with his right arm.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-21-2018, 09:06 AM
Painter said that, even if the brace was allowed, he wouldn’t have played, because he couldn’t do basketball things with his right arm.

Well, that makes a lot of sense. When I imagine Haas playing without using his elbows, I just see a T-Rex. You sorta, you know, need to bend your arms.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-23-2018, 08:30 PM
Nova really rattled by WVU's defense. A lot of physicality. Interesting to see of things boil over in the second half.

Utley
03-23-2018, 08:34 PM
A really well played first half. Nova in for a dog fight. Even if they win - Nova are going to be black and blue come Sunday.

Utley
03-23-2018, 09:04 PM
Feel like the tight 2nd half whistle is going to haunt W Va.

duke4ever19
03-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Hey! Nova finally got a foul called on them in the second half! WVU has 7 already with 13 and change on the clock.

Edit: Make it 8 fouls to 2.

AGDukesky
03-23-2018, 09:07 PM
Feel like the tight 2nd half whistle is going to haunt W Va.

Yup. And Huggins won’t shy about making that point to the press...

mr shadow 008
03-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Hey! Nova finally got a foul called on them in the second half! WVU has 7 already with 13 and change on the clock.

Edit: Make it 8 fouls to 2.

And some of these foul calls are extremely tricky tack fouls. Meanwhile DiVincezo pushes off literally every single time bringing it up the floor and it hasn’t gotten called once.

AGDukesky
03-23-2018, 09:27 PM
Refs are the only reason Villanova is in this game. West Virginia was about to blow it open and then all of those touch fouls are called.

MChambers
03-23-2018, 09:28 PM
And some of these foul calls are extremely tricky tack fouls. Meanwhile DiVincezo pushes off literally every single time bringing it up the floor and it hasn’t gotten called once.

WVa doesn’t make a lot of soft fouls. I agree about DiVincenzo.

CoachJ10
03-23-2018, 09:29 PM
Yup. And Huggins won’t shy about making that point to the press...

I have zero sympathy for El Huggo and his brand of basketball. Makes you angry just watching it.

mr shadow 008
03-23-2018, 09:33 PM
WVa doesn’t make a lot of soft fouls. I agree about DiVincenzo.
I watch a lot of WVU basketball as my brother is a graduate and typically I agree with you. With that being said there have been a lot of soft fouls that have been called on WVU that are not getting called the other direction. It’s ridiculous that WVU just took its first free throw in the half with 7 mins to go.

gocanes0506
03-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Nova looks impressive and would kill a zone look.

dukelifer
03-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Nova looks impressive and would kill a zone look.

Only if they shoot well. On any given night- a team can go cold. That said- they have a lot of shooters.

Spanarkel
03-30-2018, 08:22 AM
Villanova currently has 6 redshirts on its roster, 5 of whom are major contributors. I can't recall hearing of a team having that many recently. Curious as to what DBR posters think of this strategy by Jay Wright. Thanks.

http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/nova-m-baskbl-mtt.html

arnie
03-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Villanova currently has 6 redshirts on its roster, 5 of whom are major contributors. I can't recall hearing of a team having that many recently. Curious as to what DBR posters think of this strategy by Jay Wright. Thanks.

I’m a big fan of this strategy and team building style. Obviously his players have bought in to this and his tournament success will likely continue for years. Nice to see 4 and 5-year student athletes.

Troublemaker
03-30-2018, 08:58 AM

Redshirting is terrific. UVA does it a lot, too.

But Coach K really doesn't make use of it very often (even for our multi-year players, smartbutts.) Of course, it's not all Duke's choice. Sometimes the players don't want to redshirt.

I’m a big fan of this strategy and team building style. Obviously his players have bought in to this and his tournament success will likely continue for years. Nice to see 4 and 5-year student athletes.

I actually don't think Nova has the greatest rep for tournament success. But 2 national titles in 3 years would go a long way towards changing that!

I'll be rooting for Nova. Love their offense.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Most K redshirts I can recall were medical.

Truth&Justise
03-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Most K redshirts I can recall were medical.

The only recent non-medical one I can recall was Marshall Plumlee. He was a four-star recruit and came onto a team that already had Miles (Sr.), Mason (Jr.), Ryan Kelly (Jr.), and Josh Hairston (So.) as post players. So Marshall became the first McDonald's All American to sit out a season for non-medical reasons. (Really, as the #61 RSCI he shouldn't have been in the McDonald's game, but oh well).

Alex Murphy kind of straddles that line. He started a preseason game during Duke's trip to China/Dubai. Then he missed time with a concussion. His health recovered, but he had missed some formative time, and so he redshirted. Was that medical or non-medical? A little of both.

In Marshall's case, it worked out wonderfully for everybody. Marshall needed the extra time to develop, and his contributions were felt later in his career. He eventually played his way into a pro career.

Hard to say with Murphy. He played in 31 games his redshirt-freshman season, but in a very small role. Then he abruptly left after 5 games in his redshirt-sophomore season. Not sure if it helped or hindered his development.

CDu
03-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Just to be clear, only one of those was a true redshirt (Bridges):
Booth: missed all but the first 3 games with a knee injury last year
DiVincenzo: missed all but 8 games in 2016 with a foot injury
Paschall: Transfer student who sat out 2016 after playing as a freshman at Fordham
Spellman: academically ineligible as a freshman, so had to sit out the year
Delaney: Missed the 2016 (and much of the 2017) season with hip problems

So it isn't like Wright is bringing in all these guys and convincing them to redshirt. Three were injuries (one was an injury to a junior), one was a transfer, and one was academically ineligible.