PDA

View Full Version : Carter Foot Injury, Out tomorrow?

Hauerwas
03-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Sure, Carter had a lot of weird fouls tonight but nobody knew he is also nursing a foot injury. That's not good. He may not play tomorrow against UNC. He needs to be healthy going into the real tourney or we've got issues...

Hope his foot is ok.

WakeDevil
03-08-2018, 11:49 PM
The ACC Tournament is not a real tournament. Glad to be enlightened.

Coballs
03-08-2018, 11:50 PM
Sure, Carter had a lot of weird fouls tonight but nobody knew he is also nursing a foot injury. That's not good. He may not play tomorrow against UNC. He needs to be healthy going into the real tourney or we've got issues...

Hope his foot is ok.

He started the game tonight with the foot injury and none of us would have any idea that he has a foot issue unless K had said something in the post-game. I'm not that concerned.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-08-2018, 11:51 PM
The ACC Tournament is not a real tournament. Glad to be enlightened.

It's not nearly as real as it used to be......and I didn't notice the Heels worried about losing it while they cut down the NCAAT nets....nor did I see Jah, Justice, Tyus, Quinn and the gang worry about it when they cut the nets down in 2015.

ndkjr70
03-08-2018, 11:58 PM
Is this confirmed or just an obnoxious title?

Oriole Way
03-08-2018, 11:59 PM
It's not nearly as real as it used to be...and I didn't notice the Heels worried about losing it while they cut down the NCAAT nets...nor did I see Jah, Justice, Tyus, Quinn and the gang worry about it when they cut the nets down in 2015.

Yeah, but by beating UNC and potentially UVA, Duke will likely get a 1 seed instead of a 2. And also perhaps a more favorable region/draw.

FerryFor50
03-09-2018, 12:09 AM
Yeah, but by beating UNC and potentially UVA, Duke will likely get a 1 seed instead of a 2. And also perhaps a more favorable region/draw.

Is it better to be the #1 seed out west or the #2 seed in the East or South?

Kedsy
03-09-2018, 12:32 AM

This gets asked over and over and I don't know why since everybody seems to have already formed an immutable opinion.

I say you always want the 1-seed. The math is just too strong to ignore.

Approximately twice as many 1-seeds make the Final Four than 2-seeds, and nobody can convince me it's because 1-seeds are twice as good as 2-seeds.

The travel thing out west is a potential issue (I mean, you'd rather be a #1 in the East or South than West, sure) but the "Duke always loses out West" thing is a tiny sample anomaly that has not been reproduced by other eastern teams.

ice-9
03-09-2018, 01:02 AM
The "Duke always loses out West" thing is a tiny sample anomaly that has not been reproduced by other eastern teams.

Reversion to the mean? A degenerate gambler might say it’s time to double down on Duke in the West!

juise
03-09-2018, 01:16 AM
Reversion to the mean? A degenerate gambler might say it’s time to double down on Duke in the West!

As long as Derrick Williams isn’t waiting for us, I’m in for #1 in the West.

proelitedota
03-09-2018, 02:14 AM
As long as Derrick Williams isn’t waiting for us, I’m in for #1 in the West.

Ayton is. :rolleyes:

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2018, 02:59 AM
Is this confirmed or just an obnoxious title?
K discussed it post-game. Very real.

juise
03-09-2018, 03:06 AM

Has Duke been torched by a big this year?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-09-2018, 06:58 AM

I agree with that, and to me that's the only significance really. Also, there's a real debate on whether being a tired 1 or a rested 2 is the best recipe for NCAAT success. And apparently, Wendell needs the rest for sure.

OldPhiKap
03-09-2018, 07:02 AM
It’s over. Casey Sanders ain’t walking through that door.

MarkD83
03-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Is it time to start Vrank

House G
03-09-2018, 07:19 AM
I think we are better without Carter . . . just kidding.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-09-2018, 07:29 AM
A tentative hurting Carter is not as helpful to us as a healthy Delaurier or White or Bolden or O'Connell....all of whom could/will see more playing time if Carter is rested, which he should be.

UrinalCake
03-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Not sure if this is the place to ask this but have there been any updates on Bagley’s hand? They said during the game that he jammed his finger, and we saw the trainer taping it up. Not a huge deal but could affect his shooting.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Not sure if this is the place to ask this but have there been any updates on Bagley’s hand? They said during the game that he jammed his finger, and we saw the trainer taping it up. Not a huge deal but could affect his shooting.
I mean, he pretty much continued his domination after the injury. So I’m guessing he’s fine. And thankfully it was his his right hand, not his shooting hand.

gocanes0506
03-09-2018, 07:47 AM

I don’t think so. Being the last number one we’ll be in the West

Virginia-South
Xavier/Nova-East
Kansas-Midwest
West- Xavier/Duke

A number 2 would be in the east with Nova/Xavier.

We have better luck in east as a 2 or west as a 1? I would say in the east.

Plus a better Carter with a 2 seed is a better team than a strained Carter on a west #1

HereBeforeCoachK
03-09-2018, 07:51 AM

We're worried about the health of Carter and Bagley, while teams who've already finished their conference tournaments, through early losses or the scheduling, are home resting their legs, getting treatment, mentally decompressing..........as a child, I loved the ACCT. Today? Not so much.

superdave
03-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Is it time to start Vrank

Fear the Beard!

superdave
03-09-2018, 07:58 AM
I don’t think so. Being the last number one we’ll be in the West

Virginia-South
Xavier/Nova-East
Kansas-Midwest
West- Xavier/Duke

A number 2 would be in the east with Nova/Xavier.

We have better luck in east as a 2 or west as a 1? I would say in the east.

Plus a better Carter with a 2 seed is a better team than a strained Carter on a west #1

Lots of hoops to be played. Duke could wax UVA on Saturday and get either 1 in the East or South. They could lose tonight and be a 2.

But Kanas, Xavier and Nova all dont have automatic 1-seeds or locations, either. I think only Virginia really controls its destiny at this point.

That said, any more news on Carter's foot?

weezie
03-09-2018, 08:25 AM
... They said during the game that he jammed his finger, and we saw the trainer taping it up...

Slight correction, Bonzie "held" Marvin's hand coming down from a rebound. Gave it a bit of a twist.

weezie
03-09-2018, 08:29 AM

Holy samoleans, that's one scary proposition.

But first, finish demolishing the holes. Tear that rickety old goat barn down for good.

killerleft
03-09-2018, 08:37 AM
It's not nearly as real as it used to be...and I didn't notice the Heels worried about losing it while they cut down the NCAAT nets...nor did I see Jah, Justice, Tyus, Quinn and the gang worry about it when they cut the nets down in 2015.

How did they feel at the time, you reckon? Banners of any kind don't come cheap. Last year's ACC Championship was one of the best tournaments from Duke I've ever seen, and I was able to celebrate it with no problem.

Stop and smell the roses.

smythe13
03-09-2018, 08:41 AM
What would a season be for Duke without a foot injury?:( Good Grief

RepoMan
03-09-2018, 08:41 AM
We're worried about the health of Carter and Bagley, while teams who've already finished their conference tournaments, through early losses or the scheduling, are home resting their legs, getting treatment, mentally decompressing.

Winning begets winning. Losing begets . . .

The more we play, the better

camion
03-09-2018, 08:46 AM

It's good we're playing UNC then as they have the right idea and will probably be looking to tank this game so they can rest up for the real tournament.

Seriously though, can you show correlation/causation between ACC tourney performance and NCAA performance? I'm willing to concede that doing well in one doesn't guarantee you do well in the other, but I don't concede that doing well in one causes you to do poorly in the other.

freshmanjs
03-09-2018, 08:47 AM

Yes, just like last year... oh wait :)

Channing
03-09-2018, 08:51 AM
It's good we're playing UNC then as they have the right idea and will probably be looking to tank this game so they can rest up for the real tournament.

Seriously though, can you show correlation/causation between ACC tourney performance and NCAA performance? I'm willing to concede that doing well in one doesn't guarantee you do well in the other, but I don't concede that doing well in one causes you to do poorly in the other.

Without overthinking it, the question is whether Duke is in a better position selling out for the ACC tournament understanding it puts Carter in harms way for the NCAAT or resting Carter to try and get him as healthy as possible for the NCAAT and not selling out for the ACC.

I would prefer the latter but am sure others put more stock in the ACC tournament. That said, none of us truly know what the injury is, whether continued play makes it worse, or whether there is any chance it gets better.

One thing we know for sure is that K is not going to do anything that could risk the kid's future.

tbyers11
03-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Slight correction, Bonzie "held" Marvin's hand coming down from a rebound. Gave it a bit of a twist.

Yeah, that was pretty clear to me on the replay as well. Colson grabbed Marvin's hand and squeezed or twisted it

gocanes0506
03-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Lots of hoops to be played. Duke could wax UVA on Saturday and get either 1 in the East or South. They could lose tonight and be a 2.

But Kanas, Xavier and Nova all dont have automatic 1-seeds or locations, either. I think only Virginia really controls its destiny at this point.

That said, any more news on Carter's foot?

Don’t agree.
UVA has a number one locked up
One of Nova or Xavier has a number one locked. Nova if Xavier bows out early, Xavier if they win their tournament.

Both Nova and Xavier get a number 1 if Duke or Kansas doesn’t win their conference tournament. In the end Duke gets the number one in the West or the number 2 in the east. The only shot at the Midwest is Kansas and Xavier lose in today’s round and Duke wins the tournament. Xavier is last number 1 and goes out west. That is a lot of IFs though.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2018, 08:59 AM

Put me in this camp. If we are scheduled to play, let's go win.

UrinalCake
03-09-2018, 09:41 AM
I mean, he pretty much continued his domination after the injury. So I’m guessing he’s fine. And thankfully it was his his right hand, not his shooting hand.

I don't think he shot any jumpers after the injury; I could be wrong. He did hit some layup/dunks. I guess tonight he'll have to stick to just dunking! :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2018, 09:43 AM
I will assume today that "no news is good news" - as in, if we hear anything before tip off, it will be that he is not playing.

billy
03-09-2018, 09:47 AM
I don't think he shot any jumpers after the injury; I could be wrong. He did hit some layup/dunks. I guess tonight he'll have to stick to just dunking! :)

Not that it doesn't still affect the shot somewhat, but its his right hand that was injured; he's a lefty

uh_no
03-09-2018, 10:34 AM
A tentative hurting Carter is not as helpful to us as a healthy Delaurier or White or Bolden or O'Connell...all of whom could/will see more playing time if Carter is rested, which he should be.

i'm not sure i agree that's true....duke seemed to do just fine with carter on the floor last night.

Henderson
03-09-2018, 10:54 AM
I say you always want the 1-seed. The math is just too strong to ignore.

Approximately twice as many 1-seeds make the Final Four than 2-seeds, and nobody can convince me it's because 1-seeds are twice as good as 2-seeds.

You don't have to be twice as good to win twice as often. You just have to be a bit better consistently. If a race car is 5% faster than its competitor, it should win nearly 100% of the time.

#1 seeds go to the Final Four twice as often as #2 seeds in part because they are consistently just a little bit better on average than #2 seeds.

But they also never have to play anyone better than a #4 to make the Regional Finals. That plays a role too.

So I agree with your conclusion: You always want a #1 seed and play wherever. The bigger toss-up is between a #2 and #3. There the competition routes to the Final Four are so close that the location can tip the scale.

So, back to Wendell: Would you rather be a #1 seed out West with a gimpy Carter, or a #2 seed in the East or South with a healthy Carter? That's a closer case.

FerryFor50
03-09-2018, 10:57 AM
You don't have to be twice as good to win twice as often. You just have to be a bit better consistently. If a race car is 5% faster than its competitor, it should win nearly 100% of the time.

#1 seeds go to the Final Four twice as often as #2 seeds in part because they are consistently just a little bit better on average than #2 seeds.

But they also never have to play anyone better than a #4 to make the Final Four. That's important.

So I agree with your conclusion: You always want a #1 seed and play wherever. The bigger toss-up is between a #2 and #3. There the competition routes to the Final Four are so close that the location can tip the scale.

So, back to Wendell: Would you rather be a #1 seed out West with a gimpy Carter, or a #2 seed in the East or South with a healthy Carter? That's a closer case.

Honestly, I think Duke can beat UNC without Carter. Possibly even UVA.

Similar to how Carter and Allen thrived with no Bagley, I could see Allen and Bagley thriving with no Carter due to the room in the paint opening up. We saw a glimpse of that last night with Carter hobbled/in foul trouble.

UrinalCake
03-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Similar to how Carter and Allen thrived with no Bagley, I could see Allen and Bagley thriving with no Carter due to the room in the paint opening up. We saw a glimpse of that last night with Carter hobbled/in foul trouble.

The Carter Theory!!!

(ducks)

CDu
03-09-2018, 11:05 AM
I also think we can win without Carter. Not that I want to have to try. But the talent we can put on the floor is still so much better than anyone else can put out there. Especially now that Bolden is playing with confidence.

Losing Carter hurts us in that it compromises our depth. If Bagley gets in foul trouble, we suddenly look shaky without Carter (see the last 4-5 minutes of the first half against UNC in Cameron).

But if Duval is dialed in and Allen is hitting shots, this team is really hard to beat, with or without Carter.

dukelifer
03-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Not that it doesn't still affect the shot somewhat, but its his right hand that was injured; he's a lefty

I thought they replaced Bagley’s finger during the break- they typically keep some of his replacement parts on the sidelines. The only reason he was out for a few games is that the replacement knee was on backorder.

dukelifer
03-09-2018, 11:07 AM
I also think we can win without Carter. Not that I want to have to try. But the talent we can put on the floor is still so much better than anyone else can put out there. Especially now that Bolden is playing with confidence.

Losing Carter hurts us in that it compromises our depth. If Bagley gets in foul trouble, we suddenly look shaky without Carter (see the last 4-5 minutes of the first half against UNC in Cameron).

But if Duval is dialed in and Allen is hitting shots, this team is really hard to beat, with or without Carter.
I would feel better if Trent was dialed in. He is still struggling with his shot

CDu
03-09-2018, 11:08 AM
I would feel better if Trent was dialed in. He is still struggling with his shot

Well sure. If Duval is dialed in, Allen is hitting shots, AND Trent is hitting shots, we pretty much become unstoppable.

arnie
03-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Current Vegas betting line mentions Berry as probable. No mention of Carter possibly out.

PackMan97
03-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Well sure. If Duval is dialed in, Allen is hitting shots, AND Trent is hitting shots, we pretty much become unstoppable.

Other than the last 10 minutes of the Cheats game, how often has this happened?

DarkstarWahoo
03-09-2018, 11:11 AM
the carter theory!!!

(ducks)

No one denies this!

English
03-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Honestly, I think Duke can beat UNC without Carter. Possibly even UVA.

I'm not really onboard with this--Carter is the centerpiece of the Duke zone, and it was clear in the first half last night against ND, that the defense suffered when we was benched with foul trouble. I think we could beat either/both teams without Carter, but my gut tells me it would be far more challenging because I don't think anyone could step up to replace Carter in the zone the way Grayson et al stepped up on offense without Bagley III.

uh_no
03-09-2018, 11:14 AM

But they also never have to play anyone better than a #4 to make the Regional Finals. That plays a role too.

I think this is spot on. the average 1 seed is better than the average 2. The average 3 is better than the average 4. So you expect 1's to make it more often. The place where people get them into trouble is they say "i'd rather be a 1 seed because they make the final 4 more often." This SOUNDS good, but the problem is that duke as a 1 seed isn't a better team than duke as a 2 seed....so a good portion of the explanation of why 1 seeds go further becomes irrelevant....the only thing that matters is how much better chance does duke have against a 4 seed than a 3. Given a linear distribution of teams (difference between 1 and 2 is same as difference between 2 and 3 is same as difference between n and n+1), you would expect exactly half of the average advantage to evaporate. The problem is that team distribution is NOT linear. The distribution is long tailed....and in general the difference between a 1 and a 2 seed in terms of quality will be greater than the difference between a 3 and a 4.

Given that, the difference between 1 and 2 seed success rates in the tournament must almost entirely be explained by the difference in quality of the 1 and 2 seeds.....and if we control that difference, by simulating Duke from either seed line, their chances of success should not be materially different...at least far within the bounds of random variance or matchup variance.

Anyway, if you take all those times duke was a 1 seed and made the final four, it turns out duke was really good....and you probably could have dropped them in a 2 seed and they would have been fine. The duke teams who did NOT make the final four as 2 seeds....there's a reason they didn't get a 1 seed....and the same reason they didn't get a 1 seed is probably similar to the reason they lost.

Anyway, I would of course rather be a 1....but it's not like a 2 seed is a death knell or in the end.

53n206
03-09-2018, 11:15 AM
How certain is it that Carter's foot will be healed with a one-game rest?

uh_no
03-09-2018, 11:18 AM

about as certain as there will be a cloud in the sky on july 18th, 2074.

In short, nobody knows. this is duke and injuries we're talking about. assuming he will or won't be healed if rested based on the available knowledge is a wacko premise to debate around IMO.

Reddevil
03-09-2018, 11:21 AM
I certainly hope Carter is okay to play especially because of the defense he provides. I really don't understand the notion of bagging the ACC tourney though. This is for the ACC Championship. This matters bigtime. I realize that many do not have the recollection of a time when only the champion went to the NCAA, but even then being ACC champion was extremely meaningful on its own merit. Then when all of the other conferences started having tournaments, we always heard that the ACC tournament was the grandfather of them all, or where it all started, etc. Of course the Southern Conference was a precursor. Do we really have to be a certain age to recognize greatness? For example, Jerry Lee Lewis was before my time, but I get it. Don't let recency bias destroy the meaning of this championship. The NCAA is the national championship, and it is the ultimate accomplishment in college basketball, but our conference championship should not be minimized by it. We follow it all year for this weekend. If it does not matter, why follow the regular season? This is the only proof we have of a conference champion. This is how it is decided. Everyone should be all in. The NCAA can wait in the lobby. The ACC is playing now. Rant over.

Bob Green
03-09-2018, 11:33 AM
The Carter Theory!!!

(ducks)

Now all we need is for Dan Dakich to label Carter selfish on national TV.

CDu
03-09-2018, 11:34 AM

Don't know. But there is no reason that it can't happen. It was more a hypothetical than a prognostication.

dukelifer
03-09-2018, 11:41 AM

At Clemson- all scored in double digits- but none were truly dialed in

smythe13
03-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Carter is the alpha dog in the middle of the zone and will be missed. Depth is also compromised. Bolden, time to continue your stepping up!!

UrinalCake
03-09-2018, 12:38 PM

He’s not going to be 100%. The questions are how much can he play, how effective will he be, and is he risking further injury? And in the bigger picture, how much can he heal before next week?

Count me in as being VERY surprised that K announced this injury. If he doesn’t play well and we lose, that will give the Selection Committee ammunition to ding us even further based on the notion that Carter may not be fully healthy for the tourney.

Steven43
03-09-2018, 12:45 PM
We're worried about the health of Carter and Bagley, while teams who've already finished their conference tournaments, through early losses or the scheduling, are home resting their legs, getting treatment, mentally decompressing...as a child, I loved the ACCT. Today? Not so much.
What is the ideal amount of rest for these young men? Do they always come back after having had significant rest over Christmas break and play like world beaters? I don’t know the answer to that question but I suspect not. Do you think it would be helpful for this very young team to have more time on the court together? I think it would. Is this team a finished product to where they can just put it on cruise control and win out in the NCAA tournament? I doubt it.

I want to focus on beating UNC tonight. That is priority number one. And then we’ll take it from there and see what happens.

Owen Meany
03-09-2018, 12:52 PM
I think the ACC Tournament Championship has great value in and of itself. Only 1 team wins the National Championship each year. Coach K is the GOAT and he has ended the vast majority of his years without a National Championship. On this team, only Grayson has won a National Championship - and the odds make it quite likely that no one else on this team will be fortunate enough to win one. An ACC Championship would be a great accomplishment for these kids, a tangible reward for their very hard work. Some of us may have been here before Coach K, but these kids were not and they need their own rewards and accomplishments - they can't rest easy with umpteen ACC titles to their name and think its NCAA Championships or bust.

The reality is that Duke will need to be better, consistently, than they have all year in order to knock off Notre Dame, UNC and (presumably) UVA. A team that runs this gauntlet and (hopefully) earns a #1 seed will be better than a team that loses and is a 2 seed. It will take growth and maturity to win the next 2 games, and Duke will absolutely be better if they are able to beat the number 1 team in all of college basketball.

If Carter needs to sit out to nurse an injury, by all means he should sit out. But that is a separate point. Duke is going to be very cautious with Carter, as they have been with other injuries. This is all an academic point. How exactly would Duke set about to lose the next game in order to rest (if you believe that 1 day extra rest is so crucial). Do you play only the walk-ons? Not realistically. Do you play the starters only 25 minutes? If so, does the 10 minutes extra rest outweigh the benefits of winning? Duke is going to play tonight. I see no realistic way to alter your approach during the 40 minutes of game play that is going to take place - even if Coach K was willing to abandon a "play hard or don't play at all" culture he has spent his entire career instilling at Duke. "Freshmen, tonight we're going to take it easy, but starting in our very next game I need you to give it your all, run through walls, etc because one loss and our season is over".

Coach K values Championships. He has stressed the importance of winning the Battle for Atlantis at the beginning of the season, so I doubt he undervalues the importance of his team's final games heading into the NCAA Championship. Coach K, more than any other coach I have witnessed, also places a great deal of significance on the psychological side of the game. He has wrestled players for basketballs, brought a samurai sword into the locker room, and whatever it was he did the time he came into the darkened locker room with only a lit candle. I can't believe he wouldn't value the psychological impact that a championship would have on this young team. Which is better - to enter the NCAA's fresh off a regular season finale vs your arch-rival and an ACC championship run including a victory over the #1 team in the nation. Or to enter the NCAA off another disappointing loss, either to your arch-rival or the 2nd loss to the #1 team in the nation? I think the players will be in a considerably better place, mentally, after the former.

Sure, Duke could end up the 1 seed in a loaded bracket, with Villanova as the 1, whatever. But there is absolutely no way to predict how the brackets will turn out even if you were willing to tank just to get a favorable draw. Hopefully, Duke can win out and enter the NCAA tournament with the confidence of a champion. Then other teams can worry about having Duke in their bracket.

chrishoke
03-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Just win baby!

heartofgold
03-09-2018, 01:41 PM
I find the Carter injury scare a bit over done. We know that this is an injury that happened during the week. If there was even a small risk that playing Carter could worsen the injury, it's hard to believe that Coach would have played him knowing the importance of games ahead. His minutes were limited by foul trouble it appears not the injury. Coach's exact words were that he was "ginger". That said, he didn't have a great game: 1 for 6 FG and 4 rebounds in 17 minutes. Let's hope he is not ginger today. My guess is this is going to be a problem that will nag him probably into next weekend's games. Thankfully Marquis especially is stepping up; this could be the silver lining in confidence building he needs...

RPS
03-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Anyway, I would of course rather be a 1...but it's not like a 2 seed is a death knell or in the end.The tiebreaker for me is that the West Regional Elite 8 and Sweet 16 games are nearby, so I can attend.

Hingeknocker
03-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Diligent analysis of today's social media from Duke reveals that:

-Carter was dressed out for practice
-He was not on the floor during what looked like a walkthrough
-He was running with the team at least once
-He was the only one featured in the "team is focused on the bus" picture from about an hour ago

I predict that he plays tonight. The one question nobody asked, that I saw, was if he re-aggravated the injury during the ND game. I suspect that he did not, and the fact that he still played last night means that whatever is going on, they think is manageable without him missing games.

tbyers11
03-09-2018, 01:51 PM
I find the Carter injury scare a bit over done. We know that this is an injury that happened during the week. If there was even a small risk that playing Carter could worsen the injury, it's hard to believe that Coach would have played him knowing the importance of games ahead. His minutes were limited by foul trouble it appears not the injury. Coach's exact words were that he was "ginger". That said, he didn't have a great game: 1 for 6 FG and 4 rebounds in 17 minutes. Let's hope he is not ginger today. My guess is this is going to be a problem that will nag him probably into next weekend's games. Thankfully Marquis especially is stepping up; this could be the silver lining in confidence building he needs...

I agree with the injury scare being a bit over done. Here are K's exact quotes from the PC

Carter has got an injury problem with his foot that he didn't practice this week, and he was -- he played gingerly tonight,
and we'll see about tomorrow.
We just have to be really careful. But he did not play at the level because he's not physically at that level.

I agree that if there was even a small risk of long term worsening of a pre-existing issue Carter wouldn't have played last night. I think K is "calling out" Carter a bit and saying "hey, we know you are banged up a bit. But you can't let it affect your play". IMO, Carter played a bit tentative and reactionary. Colson flopped like crazy on Carter's 4th foul but it looked like Carter could have avoided him running up the court if he wanted too.

Now this is Duke and injuries we are talking about so my take is probably as likely as Carter being ruled out for the season later today. Anything goes.

DukeBlue666s
03-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Appears he’s participated in shoot around today and word is that he’s a go tonight.

Fingers crossed.

RepoMan
03-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Yes, just like last year... oh wait :)

Fair enough! But, we didn't lose because we won the ACC tourney and as a result were tired

Coballs
03-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Coach K claims he was held out of practice this week yet there are numerous pictures of Wendell on the Duke Basketball Facebook page practicing in Brooklyn on Wednesday with a huge smile on his face.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeMBB/photos/rpp.102875824455/10156290405009456/?type=3&theater

FerryFor50
03-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Coach K claims he was held out of practice this week yet there are numerous pictures Wendell on the Duke Basketball Facebook page practicing in Brooklyn on Wednesday with a huge smile on his face.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeMBB/photos/rpp.102875824455/10156290405009456/?type=3&theater

Sounds like a Bill Belichek move.

cato
03-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Coach K claims he was held out of practice this week yet there are numerous pictures of Wendell on the Duke Basketball Facebook page practicing in Brooklyn on Wednesday with a huge smile on his face.

Remember when they posted photos and stuff from Grayson suggesting Amile was practicing and would return in 2016?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-09-2018, 06:39 PM
Appears he’s participated in shoot around today and word is that he’s a go tonight.

Fingers crossed.

If he's not 1000% they're not smart to play him....

Henderson
03-09-2018, 06:48 PM
If he's not 1000% they're not smart to play him...

What if he's 250% and promises to give 110%?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-09-2018, 06:53 PM
What if he's 250% and promises to give 110%?

Oh no, higher math.......I'd say bank that 360% (or is it 140%) for the big tourney!

DangerDevil
03-09-2018, 08:46 PM
When they showed the team in the hallway waiting for the UVA/Clemson game to end, Carter was right in the middle of the pack wearing warmups and stretching like the rest of the guys.

proelitedota
03-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Maybe it's one of those stress fracture injuries where you just have to manage the pain by playing through it? :confused:

I'll gladly transfer his pains onto me for I can be the Jesus Christ to our bball team's sufferings.

CDu
03-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Maybe it's one of those stress fracture injuries where you just have to manage the pain by playing through it? :confused:

I'll gladly transfer his pains onto me for I can be the Jesus Christ to our bball team's sufferings.

If it was a stress fracture, he would not be playing.

gofurman
03-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Was bagley warming up? Shoot around ...

CDu
03-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Was bagley warming up? Shoot around ...

Bagley was definitely warming up. Per Twitter, so was Carter.