03-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

Thoughts:

YESSSSSS!!!

- Chillin

Chard
03-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Impressive. Most impressive.

I love seeing Bolden get better and better.

WHOneedsSOX
03-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Really have been impressed with Bolden lately. It's like he's a whole new guy.

drummerdevil
03-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Y’all remember this Marvin? He’s back, baby!

Troublemaker
03-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Nice, dominant win.

Yet another game where we hold an opponent under 1 point a possession. (This time barely, but an uptick in kenpom should be expected). And obviously I'm pleased with the offense, which held up its end of the bargain by scoring with decent ease against a mediocre defense.

Marvin's best game in a long time, imo. I know he was a monster on the boards against UNC in Cameron, but here, he showed the entire repertoire much better.

11 assists for Trevon (albeit with 6 turnovers).

DU82
Destroy and advance.

Bob Green
Bring on the Tar Heels - rubber match!

House G
03-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Nice having 3 bigs—a lot of fouls to give.

DU82
03-08-2018, 09:01 PM

Hope they lose 81-50.

carteretdevil
03-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Really have been impressed with Bolden lately. It's like he's a whole new guy.

I agree - looks like attitude. Like he knows he belongs now that he is healthy

richardjackson199

Go Canes! :cool:

CDu
Loved it. Got our feet wet, got tested in the first half, then cruised in the second half. Notre Dame was gassed. They just didn’t have the energy to keep playing aggressive against the zone. That was a big part of why I wanted to play them.

Loved seeing the offense warm up. Let’s keep it going!

Troublemaker
For people who can stream on ESPN.com, Duke's presser will be here: http://www.espn.com/watch/player?bucketId=2&id=3311570

WHOneedsSOX
03-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Hope they lose 81-50.

Tomorrow you mean 👍

kako
5 thoughts post-game:

1. That was a fast game. It probably benefitted Duke as it meant ND couldn't get as much rest.

2. I posted this in the in-game thread - Shulman said that K has had 5 games with a player with 30/15. 1 by Laettner, 4 by Bagley. Wow.

3. Really loved how Bolden and DeLaurier filled in for Carter. We need Carter as he's so much better on D than the others. But Duke doesn't have to change it's game so much since we can still keep height on the floor.

4. Allen stopped hunting his shot... or ND's D started keying on him. Either way, the ball goes to Bagley... and he was a beast. Love it.

5. Does ND really get in the tourney with 14 losses? Sure, no Bonzie for so many but who did they really beat to get in? I'd like to see ND in for ACC's sake, but I just can't reason it.

bbosbbos
I love how we played.

DU82
03-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Tomorrow you mean 👍

Tonight. If they make it to tomorrow, then the score should be 82-50.

Rich
Well, with that win it looks like we just punched our ticket to the Big Dance! :cool:

drummerdevil
Who said Grayson and Marvin can’t play offense together?

richardjackson199
Loved it. Got our feet wet, got tested in the first half, then cruised in the second half. Notre Dame was gassed. They just didn’t have the energy to keep playing aggressive against the zone. That was a big part of why I wanted to play them.

At work so I won't see the game until this weekend on DVR. But it looks like you were right on! Crow never tasted so good! Just glad I didn't bet any pie on it. :p (I never bet against Duke dominating.)

Phoenix22
03-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Jack White?

dukelifer
03-08-2018, 09:07 PM

Yep- Good game to get going. Duke did not have to work hard- Carter basically fresh for tomorrow and everyone seemed to shoot well other than Trent.

Bob Green
Hope they lose 81-50.

Not me!

I understand and appreciate your position but the opportunity to beat Carolina in the ACCT should not be overlooked.

weezie

My favorite offense, as I repeatedly yammered in chat, "attack, kill, break their necks, kill, kill them some more and bury them"

And nd has a bunch of not likable players. A whole bunch.

TNTDevil
If we don't miss all those shots at the rim, this game wouldn't have even been this close.

Great effort to get the zone more active and take away the high-post entry. That seemed to really confound the Irish. Then they just seemed willing to settle for long threes.

Excellent showing by our bench as well.

Devilwin
Great win. Bagley and Duval and Allen led the way, Bolden continues to improve..

WHOneedsSOX

Yup, Colson was gassed 12 minutes into the game.

pamtar
03-08-2018, 09:08 PM
5 thoughts post-game:

1. That was a fast game. It probably benefitted Duke as it meant ND couldn't get as much rest.

2. I posted this in the in-game thread - Shulman said that K has had 5 games with a player with 30/15. 1 by Laettner, 4 by Bagley. Wow.

3. Really loved how Bolden and DeLaurier filled in for Carter. We need Carter as he's so much better on D than the others. But Duke doesn't have to change it's game so much since we can still keep height on the floor.

4. Allen stopped hunting his shot... or ND's D started keying on him. Either way, the ball goes to Bagley... and he was a beast. Love it.

5. Does ND really get in the tourney with 14 losses? Sure, no Bonzie for so many but who did they really beat to get in? I'd like to see ND in for ACC's sake, but I just can't reason it.

#2 is one of the most impressive stats I’ve ever seen.

dukelifer
03-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Well, with that win it looks like we just punched our ticket to the Big Dance! :cool:

I think Duke has punched at least a 2 seed- with a 1 seed possible with a ACC championship.

dairedevil
03-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Happy to see a full 40 minutes of defense and no scoring droughts! Outstanding game by Bagley, Allen’s early 3 streak that put some distance, Bolden’s play when Carter got in foul trouble...so many good things in this game.

arnie
03-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Nice having 3 bigs—a lot of fouls to give.

Huge deal IMO. In the past we’d go small if a big in foul trouble. Now we can go bigger and get quality minutes. As the games slow down in NCAA, that’s a big plus.

kako
03-08-2018, 09:12 PM
For people who can stream on ESPN.com, Duke's presser will be here: http://www.espn.com/watch/player?bucketId=2&id=3311570

Brey was a class act - not whining at all about the season or pushing that hard for his team to be in the NCAAs. Bonzie showing well. Both gave props to Duke as well.

Thanks for the link.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Overral theme of tonight’s performance: Hungry Aggression.

We stayed hungry on the boards, tightened up the zone D in the 2nd half, kept attacking the basket on offense relentlessly, and shot the ball over 50% for the game.

Oh yeah, did ya notice absolutely NO “STALL BALL” tonight?

Coach K most definitely wanted the squad to keep attacking.

A most satisfying win.

DukieInBrasil
03-08-2018, 09:17 PM
can't believe how good Bagley's 2nd half was. He was 4-11 in the 1st and had several roll off the rim, but when he can get pull up 3s in the flow and make them, he's just so impressive.
Grayson set a great tone early, started 5-5 from 3. Trevon did a great job carving up their defense and getting the ball to people. He got a bit sloppy with the ball at times, but he played a real strong game.
I'm so pumped that Marques is turning it on lately. He's played poised ball, and is just doing what he does really well.
Great start to the ACCT!!!

szstark
03-08-2018, 09:18 PM

Probably the same guy who said our offense is anemic.

MrPoon
We are done having kids and I have only one son. Sorry Nate, I’m changing your name to Marvin.

Liked Bolden’s confidence.

UrinalCake
Interesting strategy to concede those inside jumpers to Colston. It felt like he hit 20 of them. Yet they couldn’t ever seriously threaten because we shut down the three point line. All of their attempts were from well behind NBA range. Eventually we adjusted and had Allen come over and body Colston up, which worked great. Nice piece of coaching by the GOAT.

Troublemaker
03-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Uh oh.

Not sure Coach K will mention it during the presser, but in the radio interview (so, for a Duke audience), Coach mentioned that Wendell has a foot problem right now. Vague, but he sounded concerned.

weezie
Brey was a class act - not whining at all about the season or pushing that hard for his team to be in the NCAAs. Bonzie showing well. Both gave props to Duke as well...

Ok, I'll leave the disdain on the court.

CDu
Overral theme of tonight’s performance: Hungry Aggression.

We stayed hungry on the boards, tightened up the zone D in the 2nd half, kept attacking the basket on offense relentlessly, and shot the ball over 50% for the game.

Oh yeah, did ya notice absolutely NO “STALL BALL” tonight?

Coach K most definitely wanted the squad to keep attacking.

A most satisfying win.

Um, we definitely played stallball. You just didn’t notice because we kept scoring.

kako
03-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Uh oh... K says Carter has a foot injury, and we will see about playing tomorrow...

Ian
03-08-2018, 09:21 PM
This proves the zone is working. ND played about as well as you can attacking the zone, and still couldn't manage over 1.00 PPP.

WHOneedsSOX
03-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Uh oh... K says Carter has a foot injury, and we will see about playing tomorrow...

Oh my goodness... Worst possible time.

dukelifer
03-08-2018, 09:22 PM

When did he hurt the foot?

lmb
03-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Great team win with extra props to Grayson, Bagley, DeLaurier, Duval, Trent, O'Connell and Bolden. Oh wait...I guess that's everybody.
Like I said, great team win!

On a side note, is Rece Davis drunk? During this time in between games his speech has been slow and slurred. And he occasionally gets really excited and says something weird

Coballs
03-08-2018, 09:24 PM
K said Wendell's had a foot injury all week and was held out of practice.

Rich
Uh oh.

Not sure Coach K will mention it during the presser, but in the radio interview (so, for a Duke audience), Coach mentioned that Wendell has a foot problem right now. Vague, but he sounded concerned.

It’s over

Kedsy
7th game out of 8 that Duke has held opposing three-point shooting below 26%. I don't think it's coincidence (or luck).

Hope Wendell is OK.

Troublemaker
03-08-2018, 09:25 PM

He hadn't practiced all week, per Coach K, so before today.

JBDuke
03-08-2018, 09:26 PM

He didn't say specifically when Carter hurt his foot, but he did say that Carter didn't practice this week, so it didn't happen in the last day or two.

dukelifer
K said Wendell's had a foot injury all week and was held out of practice.
I see. May explain his play tonight. Bolden showed he can step in

kako

I was too stunned to now recall exactly. He said he wasn't practicing a lot this week. He didn't specifically say it happened against UNC. I heard it in the presser. Maybe he said more on the radio?

proelitedota
03-08-2018, 09:28 PM
If it was serious then he wouldn't have played.

weezie
03-08-2018, 09:30 PM
bummer, my feed stalled and then quit on the presser

AtlDuke72
03-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Better question: where are all of the geniuses that said Duke was better without Bagley?

Ggallagher
03-08-2018, 09:32 PM
5 thoughts post-game:

Not that the #2 accomplishment isn't impressive enough all by itself, but I was curious when it was that Laettner did this. I checked the stats and it turned out that he did it in his senior year in a win over Maryland. So Christian pulled it off once in the senior year of his storied career, and Marvin has done it four times before his freshman year is finished.

Wow, very very wow!

dukelifer
03-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Better question: where are all of the geniuses that said Duke was better without Bagley?

Dan Dakich

weezie
03-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Wow, indeed.

And this hole-huri game is dreadful so far.

dukelifer
03-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Wow, indeed.

And this hole-huri game is dreadful so far.

Not dreadful as long as UNC holds their current score

Saratoga2
03-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Great team win with extra props to Grayson, Bagley, DeLaurier, Duval, Trent, O'Connell and Bolden. Oh wait...I guess that's everybody.
Like I said, great team win!

On a side note, is Rece Davis drunk? During this time in between games his speech has been slow and slurred. And he occasionally gets really excited and says something weird

You forgot White.

Good to see us be able to play Bolden, O'Connell and DeLauier in the zone. They gave important minutes and added fresh legs and length to the zone defense. White only got a sniff at the end but he is a smart and tough player and won't hurt us when we need to use him.

subzero02
03-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Again with the feet... every year, the flipping feet.

He played 17 minutes tonight aND almost certainly would have played 8 to 10 more if not for fouls. I am not overly worried about it. Maybe K is borrowing from Dean's bag of tricks.

weezie
03-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Not dreadful as long as UNC holds their current score

Yeah, we need to go back to chat and watch this one a while. joel berry was peeeeeved.

gocanes0506
03-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Go Canes! :cool:

Yes Go Canes!!

Saratoga2
03-08-2018, 09:47 PM
We sort of went anemic near the end of the first half mainly due to missed shots in close. Our zone was giving up a lot of shots inside the perimeter, so when we went cold ND closed the gap. The second half appeared to have a couple of adjustments with the ways the bigs played and also it was mentioned that Grayson was dropped down in help defense on Bonzie. Our offense began to click and MBIII was a monster who ND couldn't stop or even slow down. I thought Trevon picked up his game in the second half. Less TO's and more breaking their defense down. We need him to play under control and to open up shots for Grayson and Gary.

Having Bolden, DeLauier and O'connell to plug in as subs greatly strengthens the team. Fresh legs on guys who can play. The length in the zone bothers three point shooters and inside we have additional scoring, rebounding and Defense.

Good win and good adjustments by coach K.

weezie
03-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Again, Bagley's head shake mid-second half that cross-eyed Colson (I think it was Colson) what in the holy heavens was that?

It was absolutely fantastic!

duke4ever19
03-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Glad Colson's gone. That flop against Carter was some B.S. Hope his college career ended tonight.

CDu
03-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Glad Colson's gone. That flop against Carter was some B.S. Hope his college career ended tonight.

Well, at worst he will get the NIT.

Acymetric
03-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Again, Bagley's head shake mid-second half that cross-eyed Colson (I think it was Colson) what in the holy heavens was that?

It was absolutely fantastic!

Somehow I missed that...who is stepping up with the GIF?

weezie
03-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Somehow I missed that...who is stepping up with the GIF?

I sure hope someone got that. I'm too dumb.

jv001
03-08-2018, 09:56 PM
ESPN boxscore shows Javin only played 6 minutes. It seemed he played more than that. I guess Marques has stepped up and taken some of his minutes. Javin is a great weapon as a 7th man off the bench. GoDuke!

MCFinARL
03-08-2018, 10:24 PM

But I haven't heard anyone call Duke "alarmingly unathletic" recently.

FerryFor50
03-08-2018, 10:24 PM

Colson flopped several times tonight. Somehow only had 2 fouls all game. Glad he's finally graduating. He's irritating.

Coballs
03-08-2018, 10:27 PM
But I haven't heard anyone call Duke "alarmingly unathletic" recently.

I haven't heard anything from Gottlieb recently. Glad that little weasel is no longer on my radar.

TNTDevil
03-08-2018, 10:30 PM
Colson flopped several times tonight. Somehow only had 2 fouls all game. Glad he's finally graduating. He's irritating.
+1.

Don't leave out the cheap-shot forearm shiver he delivered to Bagley's chest for no reason other than to be a wanker.

Good luck to him and the Irish in the NIT.

FerryFor50
03-08-2018, 10:34 PM
+1.

Don't leave out the cheap-shot forearm shiver he delivered to Bagley's chest for no reason other than to be a wanker.

Good luck to him and the Irish in the NIT.

For being 6'6", he sure does show a lot of characteristics of little man syndrome.

duke4ever19
03-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Well, at worst he will get the NIT.

Ooh, even better. I want to see Bonzie in an NIT game.

TNTDevil
03-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Ooh, even better. I want to see Bonzie in an NIT game.
I want to see him any game, as long as he gets treated like just another player and not a "legend of the game". Give me a break!

Don't misunderstand, he's a really, really good player. Especially for a 6'6" guy. He doesn't need to do that #$%^. Wes Durham kept trying to draw Bonner out on Coulson's pro prospects. Bonner hemmed and hawed and didn't really say jack. I don't know either. But...hey! Mugsy anybody?

Oh, and that three he hit against VaTech for the lead was total luck. He blew-up the called play and played hero ball. Then got lucky.

OldPhiKap
03-08-2018, 10:44 PM
I like Bonzie, hope ND makes the big dance.

COYS
03-08-2018, 10:58 PM
What a fun game to watch. ND didn’t lie down, but we played our game and the staff made all the right adjustments to the zone to hold back their offense. Meanwhile, our offense was rolling even with Wendell struggling (possibly because of the dreaded mysterious foot ailment). I absolutely loved how we slowed them down on defense and pushed the tempo when we could on offense. Most teams will have trouble staying with our athletes for a full game, but that goes double for an Irish team playing its third game in three days. There were a couple times we just ran right by the entire Irish defense for an easy score or a dump off to Marvin for a bucket.

And Marques has absolutely taken to his role off the bench. I would not have guessed that he would be our best offensive option off the bench but man, he has gotten good shooting that baby hook with either hand.

Other than health for Wendell and maybe better finishing around the rim, you can’t ask for much more. We did what we needed to do and looked good doing it. On to tomorrow.

FerryFor50
03-08-2018, 11:00 PM
And Marques has absolutely taken to his role off the bench. I would not have guessed that he would be our best offensive option off the bench but man, he has gotten good shooting that baby hook with either hand.

Not to mention the 18 footer he hit!

duketaylor
03-08-2018, 11:01 PM
I think ND should get in before OU if the NCAA follows their claim about injuries to key players who come back late in the season. OU's lost 8 of 10 WITH Trae Young, ND's fared about the same without Colson and was a top-10 team when he was injured.

FerryFor50
03-08-2018, 11:03 PM
I think ND should get in before OU if the NCAA follows their claim about injuries to key players who come back late in the season. OU's lost 8 of 10 WITH Trae Young, ND's fared about the same without Colson and was a top-10 team when he was injured.

Committee doesn't take recent performance into account, from what I have heard. Only looks at the entire body of work.

Oklahoma has a better resume than ND. Injury factor could play into it, but ND might get squeezed by one of the bid stealing teams that wins a conference tournament.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-08-2018, 11:06 PM
Committee doesn't take recent performance into account, from what I have heard.

If Oklahoma gets in, there's proof of this ^^^

BandAlum83
03-08-2018, 11:17 PM
#2 is one of the most impressive stats I’ve ever seen.

And he makes it look so darn easy!

Hauerwas
03-08-2018, 11:18 PM
If OU gets in CBS made that pick for ratings, let's be honest that's how it works probably. ND deserves to be in based on how this team would have turned out. ND with Bonzi and Ferrell are a top 12 team. Brey's a hell of a coach.

We played fantastic second half ball just to be able to beat them that well. Great job Marvin, Trevon, and Grayson.

JohnJ
03-08-2018, 11:19 PM
I think it is interesting how AOC has played more minutes in both of the last two games than Javin.

duketaylor
03-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Looking at OU's record they're 4-11 over last 15, how can that "body of work" get a bid? That "body of work" covers half of the season and not the patsies they played in the 1st. half of the season. They were 2-9 in away games. ND was 5-7 in away games, but had a weaker win% against ranked teams than OU.

OU won at-then #3 Wichita State and at #25 USC, both last year.

BTW, looking like Duke/unc tomorrow night;)

OldPhiKap
03-08-2018, 11:23 PM
I think it is interesting how AOC has played more minutes in both of the last two games than Javin.

We are deeper at the bigs than the guards. Inversion from usual.

TNTDevil
03-08-2018, 11:26 PM
I think it is interesting how AOC has played more minutes in both of the last two games than Javin.I think his length at the top of the zone is, right now, more valuable than what Javin delivers down low.

I love Javin. He brings great energy. He's gonna get every loose ball in his zip code. And he's got springs for legs. Offense, unless it's within 6" of the rim...not so much.

camion
03-08-2018, 11:27 PM

One reason is that Marques has really upped his game and is getting big minutes.

Duke76
03-08-2018, 11:35 PM
We are deeper at the bigs than the guards. Inversion from usual.

but I do like those 11 assists by Duval....looking to set guys up consistently shows how he has matured and understands how he helps us win, Well played Trevon

TNTDevil
03-08-2018, 11:39 PM
but I do like those 11 assists by Duval...looking to set guys up consistently shows how he has matured and understands how he helps us win, Well played Trevon"You must spread some comments..."

OldPhiKap
03-08-2018, 11:40 PM
"You must spread some comments..."

Got him/her for you. Agree.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-08-2018, 11:54 PM
but I do like those 11 assists by Duval...looking to set guys up consistently shows how he has matured and understands how he helps us win, Well played Trevon

For a number of reasons, Duval is the key that unlocks a successful game by Grayson and Marvin at the same time.....kind of like tonight....

TNTDevil
03-09-2018, 12:10 AM
Colson flopped several times tonight. Somehow only had 2 fouls all game. Glad he's finally graduating. He's irritating.Re-watching the game now.

At about the 8:15 mark, first half, Coulson also delivers a wicked blow to JDL's nose in the process of trapping JDL's arm below his shoulder. It's a "veteran play" but, also an offensive foul.

The forearm shiver to Bagley happens about 75 game-seconds later.

Freethrw33
03-09-2018, 12:24 AM
Re-watching the game now.

At about the 8:15 mark, first half, Coulson also delivers a wicked blow to JDL's nose in the process of trapping JDL's arm below his shoulder. It's a "veteran play" but, also an offensive foul.

The forearm shiver to Bagley happens about 75 game-seconds later.

Hmm, what game time is this Colson shiver? Watched the replay on WatchESPN and didn't see it.
On the elbow to JDL's face, that's normally a no call most of the time, but then Bilas completely missed it and said JDL was the one that fouled...

InSpades
03-09-2018, 12:37 AM
Was it me or was Bilas especially unbearable tonight? That's about the only thing I can complain about from this game!

As mentioned above... the offensive foul that should have been called on Colson who cleared out Jav w/ his left arm while having the ball in his right hand. Bilas of course said Jav somehow fouled him!

There was also the Carter foul where Colson baited him into walking into him and then flopped like he had been hit by a 2x4.

Then later in the UNC game Berry drives into a defender leading w/ his elbow into the defender's face... again this is apparently a foul on the defender!

Come on Jay... gives us a break!

Bring on Carolina!

TNTDevil
03-09-2018, 12:48 AM
Hmm, what game time is this Colson shiver? Watched the replay on WatchESPN and didn't see it.
On the elbow to JDL's face, that's normally a no call most of the time, but then Bilas completely missed it and said JDL was the one that fouled...
I'm on a local channel (WRAL) via DirecTV. We had Durham and Bonner on the call. At 6:42 remaining in the first is when Coulson forearms Bags as he walks toward basket.

Coulson's arm-bar to JDL was a veteran play. He dared the refs to call it and, instead it was a no-call. Coulson scores and JDL in-bounds and runs up court checking his nose for blood.

Next play.

ETA: Bonner called it a "nice job of [Coulson] using his body".

7:12 2nd- Coulson drives on Grayson and gives him a chicken wing to the jaw bone (for a legit head-jerk). Charging Coulson.

Duke76
03-09-2018, 07:52 AM
"You must spread some comments..."

what do you mean by this comment?

rsvman
03-09-2018, 07:56 AM
what do you mean by this comment?

It means that he tried to sporkz you, but the system wouldn't allow it because he had given you sporkz previously and not given enough to other posters.

So, in essence, it means that he agrees with your post.

Billy Dat
03-09-2018, 08:17 AM
I was in the building last night, my one and only time I'll get to see the squad in person this year (unless something miraculous happens moving forward to change that reality - like my parenting responsibilities are covered AND I am given some free tixs - all applicants to grant me these miracles can send me a direct message).

Game comments in a second, but I have to say that the atmosphere last night was pretty dead. I expected a sizable Duke and ND contingent and while the Duke contingent was large, it wasn't vocal, and the ND contingent wasn't either. Even the Hole fans weren't too vocal. Duke games at MSG also tend to have very underwhelming atmospheres...right now, it could also be a beleaguered NYC area exhausted by the back-to-back snow storms and subsequent power outages...who knows. Even during the decisive run in the second half when ND was forced to call time-out just prior to the under 16 (or under 12, I can't recall), there wasn't an big show of appreciation ovation by the fans. Sadly, the one thing that brought that entire crowd to equal vocal harmony was loudly booing Grayson Allen. They had this little "Would You Rather" polls that showed one player from each team, on video, answering a silly poll..."Would you rather be a model or judge a modeling competition", for example, and Grayson was the Duke rep. No one made a peep until his face showed up on screen and then the entire place exploded in boos. So weak...but a reminder of what the kid has gone through. Grayson did get a pretty good ovation when he subbed out at the end, but the Duke fans missed sending Marvin off with similar gusto..it didn't help that he got subbed during the under 4 timeout, but still. Whatever...Also, Red Panda at halftime...fantastic.

I have been extremely impressed by Duke's ability to limit 3 pointers or to force bad three pointers for the last few games. I'll live with those 10 foot and in 2 point shots because while Bonzi was draining them, a lot of guys short arm them. I am sure tonight that roll will fall to Luke Maye...and that's fine. Teams seem to have the most success attacking the corners since we are playing the back line wing so high. ND kept moving that wing from the corner to the mid baseline and often hit the passer at that mid baseline who then hit the man in the middle of the lane for an easy shot. I am also fine with that, as long as it isn't every shot, but I wonder if teams will figure out how to move the ball from that baseline position to an open 3 point shooter as the zone adjusts? Can they do it with two quick passes? I wonder what Roy will cook up for tonight in that regard.

Echo the Bolden praise. He is a different player during this recent stretch. He is playing with the confidence of someone who knows his role and doesn't try to do too much. I feel good with him out there.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2018, 08:55 AM

Well, I don't think anyone is in danger of calling us "alarmingly unathletic" this year...

Edit: I see I'm not the only one... That's what I get for replying to a post before reading the entire thread.

Tripping William
03-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Not to mention the 18 footer he hit!

Channeling his inner Josh Hairston. :eek:

UrinalCake
03-09-2018, 09:58 AM
So I know it seems completely insane to criticize anything about Bagley when he just put up another monster game, but at the risk of heresy I will say this... I noticed that when rebounding on the defensive end he tends to concede inside position to his man, on the assumption that he can just jump over him for the rebound. He doesn't really fight for position because he doesn't have to. But ND's big man did a really good job of holding position and was able to secure several offensive rebounds that way. I'm not sure if this is something the coaching staff feels needs to be "fixed" or whether we can live with Bagley out-jumping his man. Obviously it works pretty well when he just grabbed 17 boards, most of them on the defensive side. Did anyone else notice this, or am I just insane?

jv001
03-09-2018, 10:06 AM
So I know it seems completely insane to criticize anything about Bagley when he just put up another monster game, but at the risk of heresy I will say this... I noticed that when rebounding on the defensive end he tends to concede inside position to his man, on the assumption that he can just jump over him for the rebound. He doesn't really fight for position because he doesn't have to. But ND's big man did a really good job of holding position and was able to secure several offensive rebounds that way. I'm not sure if this is something the coaching staff feels needs to be "fixed" or whether we can live with Bagley out-jumping his man. Obviously it works pretty well when he just grabbed 17 boards, most of them on the defensive side. Did anyone else notice this, or am I just insane?

I noticed that as well, but he did have 17 rebounds, not too much to complain about. I also noticed that Gary Trent, Jr did a poor job of defensive rebounding last night. He just failed to block out. Might have been he was trying to figure out where he was supposed to be in Duke's zone. Need to block out the cheats because they will hit the offensive boards. I would like to see Duke make them pay with some fast break dunks. GoDuke!

Sir Stealth
03-09-2018, 10:44 AM
I agree that Bagley could box out better and that the team will need to focus on boxing out against UNC, but a contributing factor could be that in the zone he doesn't actually have a man. Players have to make the right decision about finding who to box out, and sometimes it's not as easy to get a body inside of everyone as it is in man to man.

Neals384
03-09-2018, 11:15 AM
I agree that Bagley could box out better and that the team will need to focus on boxing out against UNC, but a contributing factor could be that in the zone he doesn't actually have a man. Players have to make the right decision about finding who to box out, and sometimes it's not as easy to get a body inside of everyone as it is in man to man.

thats certainly true, but laxness in boxing out is not new with the switch to zone, or with this year's team.

moonpie23
03-09-2018, 11:42 AM
oh, eff bonzi colson and his "game"........hung out all night in the lane, fouled repeatedly with only a couple of calls.......twisted marvin's hand..

go home, bonzi....

Duke76
03-09-2018, 12:03 PM
oh, eff bonzi colson and his "game"....hung out all night in the lane, fouled repeatedly with only a couple of calls....twisted marvin's hand..

go home, bonzi...

I didn't notice a 3 second call once! My son called me with a few minutes in the 1st half and said he counted a half a dozen times it could have been called...I started watching and darn if it didn't look like it to me....am surprised our coaches didn't alert refs to it unless we were guilty of it as well with bagley and others. Colson definitely was not standing at the foul line he was inside of it camped out. just doesn't get called much anymore

CDu
03-09-2018, 12:11 PM
I didn't notice a 3 second call once! My son called me with a few minutes in the 1st half and said he counted a half a dozen times it could have been called...I started watching and darn if it didn't look like it to me...am surprised our coaches didn't alert refs to it unless we were guilty of it as well with bagley and others. Colson definitely was not standing at the foul line he was inside of it camped out. just doesn't get called much anymore

Yeah, I posted in another thread about this. Colson was definitely in the lane for 4-5 seconds numerous times. The reasons it wasn't getting called were:

1. We weren't contesting his position in the high post for most of the game; and
2. He was constantly flashing from side to side in the high post, and sometimes up to just past the free throw line. Usually, he'd even get one foot outside of the lane. Sometimes, he'd go the full step of getting completely out of the lane. But he was constantly moving.

The combination of those two things is why the officials let it go. He was definitely breaking the rule by the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law (which was designed to reduce physical contact in the paint back before the 3pt line existed).

If we had been playing man-to-man or if we had been contesting him in the high post, the officials would have probably watched it more closely and he wouldn't have gotten away with it. But since we weren't really contesting him up there (until late in the game when Allen started dropping down), it's hard to get too frustrated by the non-calls. Whether he got his feet fully out of the lane or not, we weren't competing for space there. In a game as physical as that one was inside, I'm not going to fret too much about the non-calls on an uncontested 3-second violation.