PDA

View Full Version : RIP Woody Durham

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2018, 10:40 AM
The Voice of the Tarheels has passed.
It's amazing the parallels he and Bob Harris shared.
http://www.witn.com/content/news/Wood-Durham-former-voice-of-the-Tar-Heels-dead-at-76-476119663.html

left_hook_lacey
03-07-2018, 10:43 AM
The Voice of the Tarheels has passed.
It's amazing the parallels he and Bob Harris shared.
http://www.witn.com/content/news/Wood-Durham-former-voice-of-the-Tar-Heels-dead-at-76-476119663.html

They don't make them like Woody and Bob any more. RIP.

killerleft
03-07-2018, 11:03 AM
That's sad news. Very nice guy from all accounts. I met him at a golf tournament once. Still a marvelous fact that he and Bob Harris went to the same Albemarle High School at the same time.

jimsumner
03-07-2018, 11:19 AM
A nice guy in person and a giant in his profession.

RIP indeed.

OldPhiKap
03-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Sad to hear.

Bob Green
03-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Woody Durham had a classic voice.

wobatus
03-07-2018, 01:24 PM
I used to listen to his calls at night with my father when I was kid in Northern NJ. Out of WBT in Charlotte. No light but the radio dial, the static-y voice of Woody fading in and out. With Woody Durham, Jim Heavner and Bob Holliday (who still writes stuff for WRAL). Ads for Charlotte Orioles season tickets, Poulan chainsaws and Cheerwine. I can still hear Woody saying "Ford dribbles the ball across the timeline to our right..." And listening when he called the Bradley steal at Reynold's.

Funny thing is I remember losses to William & Mary. And Furman 2 years in a row. As a kid I knew to expect some ACC losses. His voice kind of took the sting out of losses.

RIP.

mattman91
03-07-2018, 01:25 PM
RIP

I would imagine there will be some kind of tribute to him at the ACC Tournament.

jimsumner
03-07-2018, 01:41 PM
RIP

I would imagine there will be some kind of tribute to him at the ACC Tournament.

http://www.theacc.com/news/2018/3/7/general-carolinas-woody-durham-named-bradley-award-winner.aspx

This was actually decided a few weeks ago but kept under wraps. Woody was supposed to have received this in person.

chris13
03-07-2018, 01:56 PM
I used to listen to his calls at night with my father when I was kid in Northern NJ. Out of WBT in Charlotte. No light but the radio dial, the static-y voice of Woody fading in and out. With Woody Durham, Jim Heavner and Bob Holliday (who still writes stuff for WRAL). Ads for Charlotte Orioles season tickets, Poulan chainsaws and Cheerwine. I can still hear Woody saying "Ford dribbles the ball across the timeline to our right..." And listening when he called the Bradley steal at Reynold's.

Funny thing is I remember losses to William & Mary. And Furman 2 years in a row. As a kid I knew to expect some ACC losses. His voice kind of took the sting out of losses.

RIP.

What I remember, and I'm sure Duke fans would say this about Bob Harris, is that he called them the way you saw them. In other words, he was a homer but not a crazy homer, although I'm sure in both cases opposing fans would disagree. Both Woody and Bob were masters of their craft and by all accounts lovely people. And now that every game is on TV, it's hard to imagine their successors achieving the same level of beloved fame.

The verbal tic I remember about Woody is that sophomore was extended into three or four syllables, and he worked players hometowns in pretty frequently as in "Jordan, the Wilmington soph-a-more, steps to the line for two."

RIP, Woody.

I hope Bob Harris' health wasn't a factor in his stepping down and he enjoys a long, healthy retirement.

wobatus
03-07-2018, 02:05 PM
What I remember, and I'm sure Duke fans would say this about Bob Harris, is that he called them the way you saw them. In other words, he was a homer but not a crazy homer, although I'm sure in both cases opposing fans would disagree. Both Woody and Bob were masters of their craft and by all accounts lovely people. And now that every game is on TV, it's hard to imagine their successors achieving the same level of beloved fame.

The verbal tic I remember about Woody is that sophomore was extended into three or four syllables, and he worked players hometowns in pretty frequently as in "Jordan, the Wilmington soph-a-more, steps to the line for two."

RIP, Woody.

I hope Bob Harris' health wasn't a factor in his stepping down and he enjoys a long, healthy retirement.

Ha, yes, I distinctly recall worrying about the optics (or sonics) of "Daugherty, the Black Mountain soph-a-more, with the chance for the 3-point play."

kako
03-07-2018, 03:17 PM
A guy I loved to hate. Like Dean, there has to be a yin to the Duke yang. RIP.

jv001
03-07-2018, 03:17 PM
RIP, Woody. Prayers for the family. God bless.

moonpie23
03-07-2018, 03:35 PM
bummer..... :(.......didn't like the heels, but his broadcasts of them were from the same ilk as bob harris's. he made it easy to listen to...

Devilwin
03-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Amazing how much his son Wes sounds like him. Rest in peace, Woody.

superdave
03-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Woody was very very nice to me on the phone once. I called him out of the blue during undergrad and he introduced me to someone who gave me an internship. RIP.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Woody RIP -

I know it must have been tough for someone who made his living talking to deal with aphasia. You gotta think that sapped a little of the will to live.

Woody was tough to take as a Duke fan, but like some others here, everyone I know who ever met him liked him. I never had the pleasure.

ehdg
03-07-2018, 09:36 PM
RIP Woody! One of the great ACC Voices. He along with Bob where the Gold Standard n met as much to unc as Bob Harris does to Duke.