PDA

View Full Version : Rank your favorite sports leagues

jv001
03-05-2018, 10:16 PM
The Hawks beat the Phoenix Suns last night by 1 point after draining a 3 pointer with less than 10 seconds left. This is an unforgivable crime for which the Hawks coach should be fired immediately. The Hawks best player, Denis Schroder actually played in the game (21 points in 24 minutes). Again, an unforgivable crime. He should have been "injured" at least 2 weeks ago and put non injured reserve for the remainder of the season. I am telling you, this win (and lack of win for the also tanking Suns) will come back to haunt the Hawks come draft time.

I am really upset the Hawks have ignored my plan to hold a lottery before each game and allow 5 lucky fans from the stands to suit up and play the entire first quarter. NBA Player For a Day would sell tickets and ensure the team keeps on losing!

Jason, I know you love the NBA, but this is the reason that sport is not the best pro sport. The PGA is the best because it's the only sport with integrity. No other sport has players that call a rule infraction on themselves. When a player does that, it could cost them a million dollars and a tour win. The NBA, MLB, NFL, and NHL are not the best pro sports. :) GoDuke!

elvis14
03-06-2018, 07:12 AM
So funny.... jv001 posts about golf being the best sport and then the very next post from Trey21 shows us why basketball is just so much better! Way to throw it down Justise!!

JasonEvans
03-06-2018, 08:42 AM
Jason, I know you love the NBA, but this is the reason that sport is not the best pro sport. The PGA is the best because it's the only sport with integrity. No other sport has players that call a rule infraction on themselves. When a player does that, it could cost them a million dollars and a tour win. The NBA, MLB, NFL, and NHL are not the best pro sports. :) GoDuke!

When you spot an overweight guy with a cig in his mouth playing in a NBA game, then we can talk.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/07/15/article-0-01F8B81000000578-857_634x415.jpg

-Jason "losing can absolutely be a strategy for a franchise and a sport... I can think of many, many times this would be the case. It does not diminish the sport... in fact it speaks to the level of strategy involved in a team's long-term success" Evans

CDu
03-06-2018, 09:23 AM
When you spot an overweight guy with a cig in his mouth playing in a NBA game, then we can talk.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/07/15/article-0-01F8B81000000578-857_634x415.jpg

-Jason "losing can absolutely be a strategy for a franchise and a sport... I can think of many, many times this would be the case. It does not diminish the sport... in fact it speaks to the level of strategy involved in a team's long-term success" Evans

[immediately searches for Vlade Divac pics]

jv001
03-06-2018, 10:24 AM

We will just have to agree to disagree on which sports are the best. If you bring in college sports, mine would be in this order:
1) college basketball 2) college football 3) PGA 4) MLB 5) NFL 6) NBA teams with former Duke players.

This doesn't make me right or wrong about which pro sports are the best. It's just my order of preference and I put the PGA first because of it's integrity.
GoDuke!

devilsince1977
03-06-2018, 11:02 AM

Sabonis with the Trailblazers at the end of his career nearly fits that bill. He was still a great player; even if he couldn't move. It's a shame we didn't get to see him in the NBA in his prime.

curtis325
03-06-2018, 11:42 AM

You made his point for him! John Daly is exactly why golf is the best sport.

JasonEvans
03-06-2018, 11:43 AM
[immediately searches for Vlade Divac pics]

Why?

Not the fittest or most cut guy, not even close, but certainly more athletic appearing than a good percentage of pro golfers.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0430/nba_g_vladenba_200.jpg

CDu
03-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Why?

Not the fittest or most cut guy, not even close, but certainly more athletic appearing than a good percentage of pro golfers.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0430/nba_g_vladenba_200.jpg

Was going more for the "Eastern European players who look like they smoke a pack of cigarettes during games" joke.

JasonEvans
03-06-2018, 11:52 AM
This doesn't make me right or wrong about which pro sports are the best. It's just my order of preference and I put the PGA first because of it's integrity.
GoDuke!

Yup, this is a 100% subjective thing. No right or wrong answers... we are all just havin' fun.

JasonEvans
03-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Was going more for the "Eastern European players who look like they smoke a pack of cigarettes during games" joke.

Ahhhh... Yup, I hear ya.

Check out the photo I found while looking up Arvydas Sabonis... #11 in red guarding the great Lithuanian center. Whew, that dude is straight from 70s Bond villain central casting.

https://static2.tv3.lt/usi/980x654/3/86/e2/23/86e22319a62f9727572b34dc2d46068c.jpg?v=4.0.4.33&t=cr&s=980x654&m=3&f=/Uploads/UArticles/leadPhotos/31/87/24/b4/318724b47b4ee050e07849ff602a80f2.jpg

cato
03-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Ahhhh... Yup, I hear ya.

Check out the photo I found while looking up Arvydas Sabonis... #11 in red guarding the great Lithuanian center. Whew, that dude is straight from 70s Bond villain central casting.

https://static2.tv3.lt/usi/980x654/3/86/e2/23/86e22319a62f9727572b34dc2d46068c.jpg?v=4.0.4.33&t=cr&s=980x654&m=3&f=/Uploads/UArticles/leadPhotos/31/87/24/b4/318724b47b4ee050e07849ff602a80f2.jpg

How do you say “no easy layups” in Lithuanian?

oakvillebluedevil
03-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Couldn't find the cigarette but...

moonpie23
03-06-2018, 12:08 PM
the NBA is the GREATEST sport on the planet, played by the GREATEST athletes on the planet...

imho

JasonEvans
03-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Couldn't find the cigarette but...

Bwahahaha! You win! You win!

RPS
03-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Was going more for the "Eastern European players who look like they smoke a pack of cigarettes during games" joke.It wasn't just a matter of appearance. Vlade actually did smoke like a chimney (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/history-cigarettes-smoking-nba-vlade-divac-bob-cousy/).

CDu
03-06-2018, 03:04 PM
It wasn't just a matter of appearance. Vlade actually did smoke like a chimney (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/history-cigarettes-smoking-nba-vlade-divac-bob-cousy/).

My favorite quote in that link: Vlade rarely (emphasis mine) smoked while playing. :D

JNort
03-06-2018, 03:14 PM
We will just have to agree to disagree on which sports are the best. If you bring in college sports, mine would be in this order:
1) college basketball 2) college football 3) PGA 4) MLB 5) NFL 6) NBA teams with former Duke players.

GoDuke!

O goodness.... mine is much different.

1. NFL
2. NBA
3. NCAAB
4. Soccer
5. NCAAF
6. MMA

After that I don't like seeing anything else but Baseball and Golf are the worst viewer sports by a vast margin imo.

dudog84
03-06-2018, 03:41 PM
O goodness... mine is much different.

1. NFL
2. NBA
3. NCAAB
4. Soccer
5. NCAAF
6. MMA

After that I don't like seeing anything else but Baseball and Golf are the worst viewer sports by a vast margin imo.

Where's hockey?!?! Despite my love of college basketball (#1 IMO despite what the NCAA and uNC have done to ruin it for me), hockey may be the best in-person viewing experience. If you've only seen it on TV you can't truly appreciate it.

jv001
03-06-2018, 03:45 PM

1. NFL
2. NBA
3. NCAAB
4. Soccer
5. NCAAF
6. MMA

Good list JNort. My list changed the minute I learned the NCAA let Uncheat get away with all those years of cheating. That practically made uncheat a pro-team because they played the games with ineligible players. More of less paid them. If not for Duke, State, Virginia, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, BC and Clemson, I would not watch college basketball. Like I said, I think the PGA is the sport with the most integrity. Man, the NCAA and Uncheat made me bitter. GoDuke!

RPS
03-06-2018, 03:58 PM
1. NFL
2. NBA
3. NCAAB
4. Soccer
5. NCAAF
6. MMAMine (which are often team and event-specific):

Duke basketball/football
NBA Play-offs
NCAA Tournament
San Diego Padres
Manchester United/USA soccer
Golf (majors/Ryder Cup)
NBA
Futbol (UEFA Champions League; World Cup, EPL, in that order)
MLB
NCAA basketball
NCAA football
PGA Tour
NHL
NFL (rarely anything but the Super Bowl)

curtis325
03-06-2018, 04:21 PM

1. NFL
2. NBA
3. NCAAB
4. Soccer
5. NCAAF
6. MMA

My list

1. MLB
2. MLB
3. NCAAB
4. Tennis
5. MLB
6. MLB

100. NBA

WHOneedsSOX
03-06-2018, 04:29 PM
My list

1. MLB
2. MLB
3. NCAAB
4. Tennis
5. MLB
6. MLB

100. NBA

1. NHL
2. MLB
3. NCAAF
4. NBA playoffs
5. NCAAB
6. MMA
7. NBA regular season
8. World Cup
9. Tennis
10. NFL (probably because all LA TV shows are the same damn teams every week. I don't want to see the Raiders, Chargers, and Rams every week!)

luvdahops
03-06-2018, 04:34 PM

1. NFL
2. NBA
3. NCAAB
4. Soccer
5. NCAAF
6. MMA

I would go:

1. NCAAF
2. NBA
3. NCAAB
4. NFL
5. MLB*
6. Grand Slam Tennis (rarely other tournaments)
7. NHL (better in person, but doesn't fully translate to TV in my view)
8. Summer Olympics (esp Track and Field, Swimming)
9. Soccer (pro and college, men and women)
10T. Grand Slam Golf (never otherwise)
10T. Winter Olympics (esp Alpine Skiing)

*Cubs fan, so MLB ranking likely still has a halo from 2016

JNort
03-07-2018, 02:54 AM
My list

1. MLB
2. MLB
3. NCAAB
4. Tennis
5. MLB
6. MLB

100. NBA
We could probably talk all day and I would never understand what you find exciting about baseball.... golf I hate to watch but I get it. NASCAR I can understand too. Baseball though? Even some of the most die hard fans I know won't sit and watch a whole game.

JNort
03-07-2018, 02:56 AM
Where's hockey?!?! Despite my love of college basketball (#1 IMO despite what the NCAA and uNC have done to ruin it for me), hockey may be the best in-person viewing experience. If you've only seen it on TV you can't truly appreciate it.

O gosh I can't believe I didn't list hockey!!! I would put it just above MMA

moonpie23
03-07-2018, 08:02 AM
1. NBA
2. NCAA BB
3. NFL
4. NHL

100. golf

OldPhiKap
03-07-2018, 08:09 AM
1. NCAA MBB
2. NCAA Football
3. EPL
4. WPT

Then a long drop. Don’t really watch any pro football, and even less baseball/NBA/PGA.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2018, 08:15 AM
NCAA basketball
NFL
NCAA football
NBA
World Cup
NHL playoffs

luburch
03-07-2018, 08:23 AM
Purely based on what I enjoy watching the most:

1. NCABB
2. EPL
3. Olympic Sports (Track, Swimming)
4. NBA
5. NCAA Soccer
5. NFL
6. NCAAF

flyingdutchdevil
03-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Purely based on what I enjoy watching the most:

1. NCABB
2. EPL
3. Olympic Sports (Track, Swimming)
4. NBA
5. NCAA Soccer
5. NFL
6. NCAAF

Closest one to mine.

1. NCAABB
2. EPL
3. NBA
4. NFL
5. Doesn't really exist

David Bunkley
03-07-2018, 08:31 AM
College Basketball
College Football
NBA
NFL
USA Soccer (men's and women's)
WBBL (British Women's pro basketball - my cousin plays in that league)
College Lacrosse
MLS
PGA
WNBA
EPL
MLB - this moves up to #6 when the Braves are watchable

I watch a ridiculous amount of sports.

robed deity
03-07-2018, 08:33 AM
NCAA basketball
NBA
Soccer (especially World Cup)
Olympics
MLB
NHL (mainly playoffs)

1000. Anything football related

camion
03-07-2018, 08:45 AM
NCAAMBB is my favorite sport, but I love the baseball experience.

I still enjoy going to the minor league baseball games in my city (Greenville, SC). I like to sit on a blanket on the grassy hill down the left field line and watch the game. It brings back memories and is enhanced by the kids who also play on the hill mostly involved with their own games rather than the one on the field. Then there are the nachos, hot dogs etc. :):)

I also remember fondly MLB games on tv on a lazy Saturday afternoon when I was 10-13 years old. I'd watch the 1st inning, nap for 7 innings and rouse myself to catch the 9th. Then I'd go out an play basketball in the back yard.

Duke79UNLV77
03-07-2018, 08:51 AM
1. NCAAB
2. MLB
3. NBA
4. Cycling
5. NCAAF
6. Marathon
7. NFL
8. Skiing

For those who think baseball is a better model, are you ranking college baseball or the minor league baseball at all?? Some may enjoy going to local minor league games, but probably care very little about who wins and don't follow the minor leagues in any depth at all.

dudog84
03-07-2018, 08:54 AM
The best part about pro football when I used to watch it (before my team signed a dog torturer and I threw away all my gear), was I could read the entire Sunday paper (and usually do the NYT crossword) during a game. Between commercials, the breaks between actual action (also known as dancing/gesticulating/celebrating after a 3-yard play and huddles), halftime, and referee video review of every other play, I had plenty of time for the newspaper. Good times.

Wander
03-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Totally objective definitive rankings:

1. College basketball is my favorite and has by far the most fun postseason, but needs to be careful about how they address the issues with OAD and paying players or could slip from this spot.

2. College football has the most exciting season and best individual games and atmospheres, but is ruined by its worst-in-sports trash postseason.

3. NFL is solid with great parity and has really done a good job as an entertainment product with fantasy football and the super bowl, but play styles can be sort of conservative and boring, is a little over the top in how stereotypically corporate-y it is, and needs to get a hold of the concussion and general health issues.

4. NBA I feel actually has the best product as far as the current quality of play goes, but the ubiquity of tanking is a fatal flaw and there are too many games in the regular season such that I can't get emotionally invested in any of them.

Comments on other sports in no particular order:

It's a stereotypical comment, but the low scoring in soccer is just way too extreme for me. I'm not saying it has to be like basketball, but just a LITTLE uptick in scoring by widening the net or whatever would go a long way for me. Also, the fact that playing for ties is sometimes a viable strategy is fundamentally wrong to me (and has to be the worst thing in all of sports to watch).

Women's college basketball is almost single-handedly ruined by UConn. It's a bummer watching a sport where you know your team may be very good, yet has a 0.000% chance of winning the title (yes, I know they didn't win last year).

I find it pretty amusing observing people pretend to care about things like ice skating every four years.

elvis14
03-07-2018, 10:25 AM
This is fun:

Duke Men's basketball (thanks DBR)
NFL (especially the Redskins)
Clemson Football
NCAAB
USA Womens Soccer (they should probably suspend the men's team until they create a system that makes them competitive)
NCAAF
World Cup Soccer (mostly USWNT)
MLB Playoffs

I like watching the grand slam tennis tournaments and the majors in golf. Outside of the grand slams and majors, I don't care much and they are not covered at all. For tennis I prefer watching the women (and RF). For golf, all I end up watching is the men, the women's game as basically disappeared for the casual fan, sadly. I don't pretend to care outside of the grand slams and majors. I suck at golf!
I grew up playing baseball, loving baseball. I still play softball but over time my interest in MLB has dwindled down to the point where I hardly know the players anymore. There was a time when I could tell you the Reds 25 roster, I can hardly tell you any of their players now. I've made trips in the 90's down to Florida for Spring training games, those were good times.
I agree with Wander about UConn making Women's NCAAB irrelevant
Because my daughters play soccer, I've played it some and I coach it, I've grown to like that sport much more than in the past. I really like watching and supporting the USWNT. I suspect that I prefer the women's game because I coach girls and my daughter plays high school right now.
Being a volleyball player, I'll watch some beach or indoor (especially women's NCAA final 4) when I find them on but don't go out of my way to watch them.
Maybe I'm just too old but MMA has never done much for me and I haven't paid any attention to boxing for about 2 decades
I'm done trying to like hockey. I agree that it's good in person at a game but I don't care enough to send the $$ to attend games. I wish ESPN would replace their hockey coverage with coverage of golf (men's and womens. they only cover when Tiger is playing now)
This year might have been the first time the winter olympics were on and I didn't watch. Not sure why, just didn't peak my interest this time.

I

ndkjr70
03-07-2018, 10:37 AM
1. NHL. (Go Devils! Born / raised in NJ).
2. NCAAB (Go Duke, of course. Parents are Duke graduates. My first word was "Duke." That isn't a joke.)
3. MLB (Yankees. Again, born/raised in jersey. This is the sport I've seen the most live games... well over 400.)
4. NFL (Go Cowboys. Dad's from texas, and this is the only other sport he watched closely before I was born. Unfortunately, I've had the experience of cheering for a crap team for a while.)
5. NCAAF (My alma mater, the U. They're my #2 in basketball and #1 in football).
6. NASCAR (was higher before Gordon retired)
7. NBA (I'll watch the finals and keep tabs on former Dukies)

kAzE
03-07-2018, 10:39 AM
1. NCAA Basketball
2. NBA
3. NFL

Don't really have time to keep up with anything else, but MLB is definitely dead last. I would rather watch almost anything (curling, high stakes poker, league of legends, maybe even magic the gathering) over televised baseball . . .

killerleft
03-07-2018, 10:58 AM
My list:

Duke Football
Duke Basketball
PGA
EPL

NFL,NBA and MLB, meh. I pay more attention to non-revenue Duke sports.

kAzE
03-07-2018, 11:23 AM
It's always a little surprising to me when people say Duke basketball is their #1 team and then tell me they don't watch any NBA. One of the biggest reasons reason I watch the NBA is to keep up with my favorite Dukies. None of these guys hit their prime as basketball players until after they leave Duke. As a Duke fan, it seems weird to me that some people are fine with missing out on that.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-07-2018, 11:49 AM
1. College basketball
2. NFL
3. MLB - used to be a huge fan, now I mainly just follow the Yankees and some of the playoffs
4. College Football
5. NBA - the games are just not nearly as fun or interesting to watch as college, and all of the salary cap management/tanking really takes away from it for me
6. Soccer - MLS and international leagues
7. NHL - especially the playoffs - the suspense of a game 7 is incredible
8. Golf - mainly the four big tournaments, especially the Masters - hearing that music means spring is here
9. Tennis - mainly grand slam events, especially the US Open, though I miss the old days when it was on USA
10. Non-rev college sports, especially lacrosse

I am also a very, very big Olympics fan - I loved watching the winter Olympics, with the exception of figure skating and the X Games events. I also annually attend and watch the NY Marathon.

My kids have gotten me into American Ninja Warriors - not sure if one would call that a sport but it is fun to watch.

ndkjr70
03-07-2018, 11:55 AM
It's always a little surprising to me when people say Duke basketball is their #1 team and then tell me they don't watch any NBA. One of the biggest reasons reason I watch the NBA is to keep up with my favorite Dukies. None of these guys hit their prime as basketball players until after they leave Duke. As a Duke fan, it seems weird to me that some people are fine with missing out on that.

I'll check in on how they're doing in the league, but without more than a passing/casual interest. I care significantly more about the 4 letters on the front of their jersey than the letters on the back.

OldPhiKap
03-07-2018, 12:04 PM

As one of those fans, I just find the NBA boring. Doesn't help that the Hawks perennially stink.

I wish all of the Duke players well. I just don't really care enough about the league as a whole to watch. And for almost every night there is an NBA game on, there are a few college games on as well which I find more interesting.

Just my taste, others clearly differ which is great. That's why they have The Ocho. so we can both get what we want.

And if you are a pro or college athlete playing outside of the Eastern Time Zone, I get up at 5:30 to go to the gym so odds are that I will miss your game either way unless it is Duke.

Reddevil
03-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Regularly follow:

1) College Basketball
2) College Football
3)NFL

Only the biggies in no particular order:

Daytona 500 (& the last 10 laps of other NASCAR races if I happen to be flipping)
Indianapolis 500 (not all the way through, but check in occasionally and the finish)
French, Wimbledon, and U.S. Open Finals (Semis if interested)
Masters (This is a beautiful event and right after the Final Four. Then the final round of other tourney's throughout the year when not mowing lawn etc.)
Olympics (I don't know why, but I HAVE to see the torch getting lit. I love that part for some reason.)

CoBlueDevil
03-07-2018, 12:23 PM
I'll chime in...

1. Duke Basketball (Far and away)
2. College Basketball
3. NBA (Following Duke players in the league is a blast! Kyrie is my favorite pro so I've loved watching the Cavs and now the Celtics, plus they have Tatum! The NBA playoffs are awesome, especially the conference finals and finals.)
4. NFL (Mainly because I love fantasy football. I think the product the NFL puts out now is much less exciting than what it use to be.)
5. College Football (Happy they instituted the playoff system, but think they need to expand to more teams. I think 8 would be really compelling.)
6. Soccer (EPL, Champions League, World Cup)

Pumped for the next 5 months of sports; March Madness, Masters, NBA Playoffs, World Cup

kAzE
03-07-2018, 01:00 PM
I agree that tanking and sometimes a lack of 100% effort makes some regular season NBA games less watchable. You just have to understand that the NBA is a marathon, while college is more of a sprint. When people complain about NBA players not giving it 100% effort, it's not always a fair criticism, because these guys are often playing 4 games in a week with tons of back to back games, while traveling all over the country and nursing various injuries. The challenge of the NBA grind is to make it through all those hurdles, and then still have the energy to lay it all out there in the postseason. If the NBA regular season was 32 games, of course they would play way harder.

The easy solution to avoid bad games is to just avoid post All-Star break games involving teams at the bottom of the standings. However, games between teams angling for playoff positioning are usually quite competitive. The playoff race in both conferences is very tight right now, and there have been some really exciting games to watch all season long.

I'm definitely not one of those league pass junkies. I probably watch 2 or 3 NBA games a week, usually a Celtics game or 2 and then biggest matchup of the week, schedule permitting.

NBA playoff basketball becomes appointment TV though. That's watching the best athletes in the world go 110% every game. It's the 2nd most exciting sports event IMO after the NCAA tournament.

dudog84
03-07-2018, 01:05 PM

This probably ties directly into the two camps in another thread discussing development of a better minor league for the NBA. One side frets that we won't get to see the best high school players for one year, the other side figures we'll still get some of the best of the rest, we'll still be competitive, and we'll actually get to know the kids like we used to. I'm in the latter and pay little attention to the NBA.

OldPhiKap
03-07-2018, 01:05 PM
I agree that tanking and sometimes a lack of 100% effort makes some regular season NBA games less watchable. You just have to understand that the NBA is a marathon, while college is more of a sprint. When people complain about NBA players not giving it 100% effort, it's not always a fair criticism, because these guys are often playing 4 games in a week with tons of back to back games, while traveling all over the country and nursing various injuries. The challenge of the NBA grind is to make it through all those hurdles, and then still have the energy to lay it all out there in the postseason. If the NBA regular season was 32 games, of course they would play way harder.

The easy solution to avoid bad games is to just avoid post All-Star break games involving teams at the bottom of the standings. However, games between teams angling for playoff positioning are usually quite competitive. The playoff race in both conferences is very tight right now, and there have been some really exciting games to watch all season long.

I'm definitely not one of those league pass junkies. I probably watch 2 or 3 NBA games a week, usually a Celtics game or 2 and then biggest matchup of the week, schedule permitting.

NBA playoff basketball becomes appointment TV though. That's watching the best athletes in the world go 110% every game. It's the 2nd most exciting sports event IMO after the NCAA tournament.

One of the things that makes EPL interesting is relegation - the bottom few teams get sent to the lower division at the end of the season, and the top few from the lower league get promoted. No tanking, and often the most interesting games late in the season involve low teams fighting to stick in the upper league.

curtis325
03-07-2018, 01:06 PM
We could probably talk all day and I would never understand what you find exciting about baseball... golf I hate to watch but I get it. NASCAR I can understand too. Baseball though? Even some of the most die hard fans I know won't sit and watch a whole game.

Who said anything about exciting? Baseball is interesting--YMMV.

I do like the NBA, though. It made my top 100!

NFL does not show up anywhere on the list.

elvis14
03-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Who said anything about exciting? Baseball is interesting--YMMV.

Although I admit my interest in baseball has decreased dramatically, I suspect that having played baseball and softball for many years helped me appreciate the game. That feeling when the ball comes off your bat and you know it's a hit is just hard to beat. Seeing guys hit against pitchers throwing was well as MLB pitchers throw, still gets me going. That said, I am happy to hear that they are trying to speed up the game.

kAzE
03-07-2018, 01:14 PM
One of the things that makes EPL interesting is relegation - the bottom few teams get sent to the lower division at the end of the season, and the top few from the lower league get promoted. No tanking, and often the most interesting games late in the season involve low teams fighting to stick in the upper league.

Now that is really great . . . if only the infrastructure for basketball would allow for this type of thing. I'd be 100% for it. Maybe in 50 years, we will see something similar in the NBA. As it stands, there just aren't any competitive professional leagues in North America outside of the NBA. The NCAA currently has a monopoly on non-NBA talent, so until the NCAA system is completely abolished, that's probably not going to happen.

devilsince1977
03-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Duke Basketball
Duke Football
NCAA Basketball
NBA Basketball - especially games involving Duke Alumni
World League Men's International Volleyball - it is only on a few weeks in the summer, but the skill level blows my mind.
NFL
College Football
EPL and UEFA Champions League Soccer
USA Women's Soccer
Golf Majors and Ryder/Presidents Cup

Ian
03-07-2018, 01:21 PM

Don't need to watch the NBA to keep tabs on former Duke players. I doubt you're watching the French professional basketball league to keep up with Demarcus Nelson. And frankly regular season NBA is a bore. I don't know how anyone can call it the greatest sports league when half of the teams are trying as hard as they can to lose.

Reddevil
03-07-2018, 01:27 PM

This is an interesting perspective. My guess is you are an NBA fan regardless, but then get the opportunity to see Dukies progress. I love college basketball, but not the NBA like some other folks. To me it is enough to get to know each team on a year by year basis. Of course it was more enjoyable when we got to see freshman kids grow into senior young men, but it is still fun. I like K's analogy that each season is a journey and we get to take that journey with them. I don't know why I do not really care after they move on. I mean of course I wish the best for them, but I don't pay much attention after that. The pageantry of the college game with the crowd noise, the bands, the antics, more attention to the coaches just makes it fascinating to me. Then I turn on an NBA game and hear organ music - ugh! Yes they are amazing athletes, but because they have to play a billion games the level of hustle is not always on par with the college kids. That is why I only tune in during the playoffs. It took me a while to tune in to NASCAR because until you gain a decent understanding of a sport, it looks boring (round and round they go). Then once you understand what each team is doing you can get invested. I think that is probably the same with the NBA, MLB, and NHL.

duke4ever19
03-07-2018, 01:28 PM
1. NCAA Basketball
2. ATP Tennis
3. NCAA Rowing
4. NBA
5. MLB

Lar77
03-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Given the owner benefits of a closed shop, I don't see the NBA getting enthusiastic for relegation, but it would make the NBA more interesting and could fit into Adam Silver's longer term vision.

JetpackJesus
03-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Strictly going by leagues:
1) NHL
2) NCAAB
2) NFL
3A) Tennis (I guess ATP/WTA are close enough to leagues)
3B) NBA
4) MLB
5) NCAAF

But things change if one of my favorite teams happen to be involved:
1A) Duke MBB
1B) Sabres (NHL)
2A) Panthers (NFL)
2B) Bills (NFL)
3) Duke FB
4) Braves (MLB)
5) Duke Lax
6A) Tennis (No favorite)
6B) NBA (Only follow Duke players)

burnspbesq
03-08-2018, 03:17 AM
Premier League
ACC men’s lacrosse
National League
ACC men’s basketball
Bundesliga

And conversely, the worst:

American League
La Liga
Serie A
NFL
(tie) NASCAR, UFC, and ISL (cricket)

kako
03-08-2018, 12:47 PM
1. Men's College basketball (Duke and ACC lead, but I watch other games as well particularly with my location. I take days off work to watch the NCAA tournament on 4 TVs at once)

Medium step down to:

2. International soccer (national team tournaments, friendlies, etc. for both men and women. I'm really angry about USMNT right now).
3. Olympics (I like nations vs. nations, and I'd watch the US play for a gold in even curling if it happened. Hey, it did!)
4. NBA (more skill than college, but I recognize I'm rooting for laundry when I root for the Warriors)
5. NFL (mostly due to fantasy. Money talks.)
6. NHL (actually I think the NHL is the most exciting game - speed, power, skill, each score is a triumph. And playoff OT hockey is the most exciting thing that's non-NCAA tournament)

Medium step down to:

7. College football (I do admit that Duke/UNC is a one game season to me. Duke could be 1-10 every year, and I'd be happy if the win was vs. UNC. But my interest would increase if they ever went to a 8 or 16 team tournament).

Another big step down to:

8. Club soccer, primarily MLS because it's local.

Another big step down to:

9. Majors & nations vs. nations in tennis, men's and women's

Huge step down to:

10. MLB only if there's a 7th game in playoffs/world series. (One game elimination intrigues me)

N.B. If Duke plays in any televised championship, I would make time to watch or at least DVR.
N.B. Anytime a professional league strikes, it takes years or even decades to get my interest back. NHL and MLB used to be higher in my list. MLB has never really made it back as they started then canceled a frickin' season.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Well I'd say that there is still some disputes on calls regarding the PGA, ask Dustin and Tiger. Otherwise, I do like the PGA integrity for the most part. I'll also say that NHL play-offs, Stanley Cup Finals, are friggin off the charts.

left_hook_lacey
03-08-2018, 06:23 PM
College Basketball
College Football
NBA
NFL
USA Soccer (men's and women's)
WBBL (British Women's pro basketball - my cousin plays in that league)
College Lacrosse
MLS
PGA
WNBA
EPL
MLB - this moves up to #6 when the Braves are watchable

I watch a ridiculous amount of sports.

What's EPL?

JetpackJesus
03-08-2018, 06:25 PM
What's EPL?

English Premier League (soccer).