PDA

View Full Version : TV Coverage of the ACC Tournament

devil84
03-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Didn't want this buried in a thread.*

ESPN and The ACC Network are covering this.

ESPN Subscribers

You'll find all the games on ESPN family of channels
One game is on ESPNU (Wake-Syracuse, Tues., 7pm); if you don't have ESPNU, see below.

Cord cutters and those with local affiliates who prefer non-ESPN announcers:

Local Raycom affiliates are listedon a game-by-game basis: http://theacc.com/sports/2018/3/1/ACC-Network-Schedule.aspx. NOTE THAT CHANNELS CAN CHANGE FOR DIFFERENT GAMES.
Those of us in the Triangle, it means WRAL. If you're not finding it on 5-1, look for 5-2 (particularly during the day).

Cord cutters and those stuck in an office/away from home/not in the Raycom Affiliate Area/need another screen at home/don't want ESPN announcers:

It's also free at TheACC.com: http://www.theacc.com/watch/

*Also known as, "I want to quickly find this post since I've gotten a few questions from my family already."

summerwind03
03-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Isn't Wake Syracuse Tuesday night? I think we are the Thursday 7pm game.

UrinalCake
03-06-2018, 02:14 PM
I like watching on theacc.com rather than WatchESPN. Video quality tends to be better and the commercials are less monotonous.

Tripping William
03-06-2018, 02:17 PM

ESPN Subscribers

One game is on ESPNU (Wake-Syracuse, Thurs., 7pm); if you don't have ESPNU, see below.

Local Raycom affiliates are listedon a game-by-game basis: http://theacc.com/sports/2018/3/1/ACC-Network-Schedule.aspx. NOTE THAT CHANNELS CAN CHANGE FOR DIFFERENT GAMES.
Those of us in the Triangle, it means WRAL. If you're not finding it on 5-1, look for 5-2 (particularly during the day).

Cord cutters and those stuck in an office/away from home/not in the Raycom Affiliate Area/need another screen at home/don't want ESPN announcers:

*Also known as, "I want to quickly find this post since I've gotten a few questions from my family already."

If it makes a difference to your viewing preferences, Dan Dakich is doing the color commentary on ESPN, while Mike Gminski is doing the color commentary for Raycom/TheACC.com.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-06-2018, 02:18 PM
I like watching on theacc.com rather than WatchESPN. Video quality tends to be better and the commercials are less monotonous.

Are they using same announcers? Dakich doing BC GT now.

Reddevil
03-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Because it makes a difference to your viewing pleasure, Dan Dakich is doing the color commentary on ESPN, while Mike Gminski is doing the color commentary for Raycom/TheACC.com.

There, that's better.:)

UrinalCake
03-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Are they using same announcers? Dakich doing BC GT now.

I assumed they were, but if they’re not then that’s another +100 votes for theACC.com. Their commentators are so much better. Even Jason Capel was better than anyone on ESPN.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-06-2018, 02:55 PM
I assumed they were, but if they’re not then that’s another +100 votes for theACC.com. Their commentators are so much better. Even Jason Capel was better than anyone on ESPN.

On the other tournament thread, another poster said Gminski was doing color on the Raycom/ACC NE feed....

devil84
03-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Isn't Wake Syracuse Tuesday night? I think we are the Thursday 7pm game.

It is. I was thinking "it's tonight, and tonight is Thursday." Except it's Tuesday. Argh. It's been a long week already. Thanks for the catch!

I've edited the post to reflect my gaffe.

(I guess I'm still back in the old ACC tourney days when the play-in games were Thursday. Or I need more caffeine. Or both!)

devil84
03-06-2018, 03:56 PM
On the other tournament thread, another poster said Gminski was doing color on the Raycom/ACC NE feed...

Raycom/The ACC Network uses different announcers than ESPN. Two different networks, two different teams of announcers. I can listen to Gminski/Brando call just about any game, and they're on this afternoon with Jason Capel. Dakich, Anish Shroff, and Maria Taylor are on ESPN. I'm very thankful to have a choice!

RPS
03-06-2018, 04:12 PM
(I guess I'm still back in the old ACC tourney days when the play-in games were Thursday. Or I need more caffeine. Or both!)I still struggle with any play-in games at all (sorry, GT). My immediate reaction to hearing or thinking about the ACC Tournament is Thursday games in G'boro at noon, 2, 7 and 9 with most Thursday afternoon classes cancelled. Then 7 and 9 Friday with the championship Saturday night.

OldPhiKap
03-06-2018, 04:18 PM

I've liked Jason Capel's work the few games I have heard him call. Thanks for letting me know that is an option.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-06-2018, 04:28 PM
It is. I was thinking "it's tonight, and tonight is Thursday." Except it's Tuesday. Argh. It's been a long week already. Thanks for the catch!

I've edited the post to reflect my gaffe.

(I guess I'm still back in the old ACC tourney days when the play-in games were Thursday. Or I need more caffeine. Or both!)

I'm equally confused - I fondly remember the days of the Thursday Les Robinson Invitational, leading into quarterfinal Friday, the most wonderful day of the year.

We are expecting awful weather here in NY starting tonight so I think there will be a lot of empty seats at the games tomorrow. Though for anyone living or staying in the city, it actually isn't that hard to get there as Barclays Center is adjacent to lots subway lines that will likely be running fine, so it is a great opportunity to go see the ACC Tournament.

BD80
03-06-2018, 04:50 PM
I'm equally confused - I fondly remember the days of the Thursday Les Robinson Invitational, leading into quarterfinal Friday, the most wonderful day of the year.

We are expecting awful weather here in NY starting tonight so I think there will be a lot of empty seats at the games tomorrow. Though for anyone living or staying in the city, it actually isn't that hard to get there as Barclays Center is adjacent to lots subway lines that will likely be running fine, so it is a great opportunity to go see the ACC Tournament.

How do y'all see the relative turnout of fanbases?

I'd say:

1. Duke - strong in NYC
2. Cuse - NY fanbase, but not a great season
3. BC - close in proximity, encouraging season, but not strong bball fans
4. unc - strong fanbase but far from home, good national following but won't be loud.
5. UVA - great year, not too far away, decent alumni base in NYC
6. ND - strong national following, strong NE presence, could be on the rise with players returning to line-up
7. NCSt - up year, lots of alum
8. Miami - strong year, cheap flights to NYC
9. Clemson - very good year, lots of enthusiasm
10. Va Tech - good year, loyal following
14. Wake - another down year, far away
15. Pitt - crappy year, why bother?

84Duke
03-06-2018, 04:56 PM
If you gave me D-A-K-I-C-H in Scrabble tiles, I know which word I would spell first.

devil84
03-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Can we keep real discussion of the games in the other thread? We'll wind up with two parallel threads.

Keep this one for actual TV coverage, and the pining for the Good Ol' Days of the Fri-Sat-Sun ACC Tourney, when every high school in NC watched games all day Friday. Then it morphed to the Les Robinson Invitational, with the Thursday play-in game. More stuff changed, until now we start on Tuesday. This ol' codger still thinks it starts on Thursday, which caused the whole Good Ol' Days discussion. (Apologies, y'all.)

There's another thread for discussion of the games here (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?41583-This-Week-in-the-ACC-ACC-Tournament).

HereBeforeCoachK
03-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Can we keep real discussion of the games in the other thread? We'll wind up with two parallel threads.

Keep this one for actual TV coverage, and the pining for the Good Ol' Days of the Fri-Sat-Sun ACC Tourney, when every high school in NC watched games all day Friday. Then it morphed to the Les Robinson Invitational, with the Thursday play-in game. More stuff changed, until now we start on Tuesday. This ol' codger still thinks it starts on Thursday, which caused the whole Good Ol' Days discussion. (Apologies, y'all.)

There's another thread for discussion of the games here (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?41583-This-Week-in-the-ACC-ACC-Tournament).

Thursday morning, sneaking into Aldert Root Elementary School with the little transistor radio...for the early games....then home for the night games on TV, Packer and Thacker....Sail with the Pilot.....maybe Bones McKinney.....I'm getting my years mixed up I imagine....but the memories...

HereBeforeCoachK
03-06-2018, 05:04 PM
If you gave me D-A-K-I-C-H in Scrabble tiles, I know which word I would spell first.

And if you had an elipse, you could add HA to the end.......it would roll off the tongue nicely....:cool:

MChambers
03-06-2018, 05:16 PM
If it makes a difference to your viewing preferences, Dan Dakich is doing the color commentary on ESPN, while Mike Gminski is doing the color commentary for Raycom/TheACC.com.

Definitely would rather hear G-man over Dakich. I generally prefer anything to ESPN, of course.

Rich
03-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Definitely would rather hear G-man over Dakich. I generally prefer anything to ESPN, of course.

Maybe it's me, but when I listen to Gminski he sounds like David Letterman.

MChambers
03-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Maybe it's me, but when I listen to Gminski he sounds like David Letterman.

Isn’t that a good thing?

weezie
03-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Yes, ich-a, the past plus perfect of "ich-y minus the t" for the disturbance of an irritating skin condition arising rubbing your derriere over pink insulation. I'm right, ain't I?
Close? :cool:

And I'd really like to follow LaPhonso Ellis around and see if he can cheer me up. Mr. Sunshine!

awhom111
03-06-2018, 09:40 PM

ESPN Subscribers

One game is on ESPNU (Wake-Syracuse, Tues., 7pm); if you don't have ESPNU, see below.

We may not have our opponent yet, but we already know that these stations will carry the ACC Network broadcast:
http://theacc.com/sports/2018/2/26/accn-mbb-tourney10.aspx

The direct link to the ACC website broadcast is here:
http://theacc.com/sports/2018/1/12/2017-18-new-york-life-acc-tournament.aspx

devil84
03-07-2018, 10:32 AM
We may not have our opponent yet, but we already know that these stations will carry the ACC Network broadcast:
http://theacc.com/sports/2018/2/26/accn-mbb-tourney10.aspx

This link is only for the quarterfinal Duke game. Depending on where you live, you may have different channels/networks for the remaining games. For example, those in Louisville will watch the quarterfinal with Duke on NBC (WAVE), then the semifinal and championships on ABC (WHAS).

Greenville-New Bern-Washington NC sees the quarterfinal and semifinal on This TV (WITN-D2), and the championship on WITN (NBC).

Rhode Island only gets the championship game on My Network TV (ENAC).

Syracuse shows the quarterfinal on CW (WSTQ), thn shows the semifinal on NBC (WSTM), and the championships are back to the CW (WSTQ).

Lots of other areas change networks, so don't assume that the game is on the same station it was last time!

Summary for NC folks for Duke's games through the end of the tourney:

Triangle: all games on NBC (WRAL 5.1).
Triad: all games on CBS (WFMY).
Charlotte: all games on CBS (WBTV).
Greenville-New Bern-Washington: Thursday and Friday on This TV (WITN-D2), Saturday on NBC (WITN)
Wilmington: all games on WILM.

In other words, check far enough in advance and don't assume the channel is the same as the last game. I don't want you to miss tip-off! (And I never knew about some of the over-the-air channels!)

SavDukeGrad
03-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Did anyone hear what Dan Dakich just said during the State-BC game? The other announcer (not sure who it is) was talking about Jerome Robinson from BC being 1st team all ACC and runner up to Bagley for POY. And Dakich said "Marvin Bagley, the most selfless player in the ACC". (At least I think he said "selfless") Then there was a pause, and the other announcer said "You're a piece of work".

1. Did anyone else hear that, or am I going crazy?
2. Sounds like Dakich is doubling down on what he said.
3. I hope Bagley comes out and proves him wrong in a big way. Like a 2nd half of Carolina game big way!

Go Duke!

awhom111
03-08-2018, 10:06 PM
This link is only for the quarterfinal Duke game. Depending on where you live, you may have different channels/networks for the remaining games. For example, those in Louisville will watch the quarterfinal with Duke on NBC (WAVE), then the semifinal and championships on ABC (WHAS).

Greenville-New Bern-Washington NC sees the quarterfinal and semifinal on This TV (WITN-D2), and the championship on WITN (NBC).

Rhode Island only gets the championship game on My Network TV (ENAC).

Syracuse shows the quarterfinal on CW (WSTQ), thn shows the semifinal on NBC (WSTM), and the championships are back to the CW (WSTQ).

Lots of other areas change networks, so don't assume that the game is on the same station it was last time!

Summary for NC folks for Duke's games through the end of the tourney:

Triangle: all games on NBC (WRAL 5.1).
Triad: all games on CBS (WFMY).
Charlotte: all games on CBS (WBTV).
Greenville-New Bern-Washington: Thursday and Friday on This TV (WITN-D2), Saturday on NBC (WITN)
Wilmington: all games on WILM.

In other words, check far enough in advance and don't assume the channel is the same as the last game. I don't want you to miss tip-off! (And I never knew about some of the over-the-air channels!)

Yes, I typed a bit too quickly and did not specify.

Here is the list of affiliates carrying the semifinal:
http://theacc.com/sports/2018/2/26/accn-mbb-tourney13.aspx