PDA

View Full Version : Where's Wojo?

kako
03-05-2018, 01:08 PM
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/970430035059531781/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.diehards.com%2Fduke%2Flo ok-duke-basketball-twitter-account-went-oscars

Seems like a big miss. Perhaps also Avery. Anyone else? Also not quite sure who the player lower right with the reversed jersey is - Duhon, Hill, Nelson? You'd think they could have photoshopped it correctly.

Hope this was a student project, but I like the idea.

mkirsh
03-05-2018, 01:15 PM
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/970430035059531781/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.diehards.com%2Fduke%2Flo ok-duke-basketball-twitter-account-went-oscars

Seems like a big miss. Perhaps also Avery. Anyone else? Also not quite sure who the player lower right with the reversed jersey is - Duhon, Hill, Nelson? You'd think they could have photoshopped it correctly.

I think Avery is at the bottom right. The reversed jersey is Duhon, and it looks like he's on the there twice (top center), unless that is DeMarcus? Seems that all recent coaches - Wojo, Collins, Capel - are missing, but JD and Amaker are there

IrishDevil
03-05-2018, 01:17 PM
I think Avery is at the bottom right. The reversed jersey is Duhon, and it looks like he's on the there twice (top center), unless that is DeMarcus? Seems that all recent coaches - Wojo, Collins, Capel - are missing, but JD and Amaker are there

Yep, that looks like Nelson above JJ.

BD80
03-05-2018, 01:18 PM

The title is 1st round pick guards

Ian
03-05-2018, 01:20 PM
The title is 1st round pick guards

1st round pick or all-american.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-05-2018, 01:48 PM
FYI, I went to that Twitter home page....this is AWESOME video, slightly less than 5 minutes.

No, those were not tears. Something in my eye.....
https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/970012953435979777

stingy
03-05-2018, 02:03 PM
1st round pick or all-american.

Wojo was an honorable mention all-American so I think they have it right to omit him in this case.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Wojo was an honorable mention all-American so I think they have it right to omit him in this case.

Wojo gave us four fun and memorable years. I'd happily trade Rivers on that poster with Wojo.

CDu
03-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Wojo gave us four fun and memorable years. I'd happily trade Rivers on that poster with Wojo.

But that image isn't intended for our (read, 30-somethings and older) benefit. It's marketing for current high school guards whom Duke may be recruiting. Austin Rivers is way more relevant for their target market with that image.

Also, I think it's fair to say that Rivers gave us a pretty fun memory. And Wojo's years weren't exactly the team's best years.

kAzE
03-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Awesome poster!

Only thing they got wrong is that Gerald Henderson still had hair last time he put on a Duke jersey :)

killerleft
03-05-2018, 03:26 PM

Yeah, who would want a National Defensive Player of the Year on such an important poster?:rolleyes:

kako
03-05-2018, 03:48 PM
And Wojo's years weren't exactly the team's best years.

There's a place for a guy like Wojo on any Duke team I'd suit up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSnzrPjQrg

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Also, I think it's fair to say that Rivers gave us a pretty fun memory. And Wojo's years weren't exactly the team's best years.
I'll take Wojo's team years over Rivers' one moment any day. There's a reason I have the Wojo/K hug cemented in memory for life. (It now sits on a shelf in my brain right next to Grayson's. :D)

accfanfrom1970
03-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Where can you buy the poster? Cool....

CDu
03-05-2018, 07:33 PM
I'll take Wojo's team years over Rivers' one moment any day. There's a reason I have the Wojo/K hug cemented in memory for life. (It now sits on a shelf in my brain right next to Grayson's. :D)

Well, I would definitely take Wojo’s senior year team results over Rivers’ team results. But his 1995-1997 teams? Those were some lean years.

I was in the stands for that 1998 game. It was my first UNC game. Amazing moment, and still the greatest game I have ever seen in person. But Wojo wasn’t what made that moment amazing.

But again, we are not the target demographic for that poster. It isn’t intended to be a piece of nostalgia for us adults. It is a sales pitch for recruits. Rivers has cache with recruits. Wojo doesn’t.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-05-2018, 07:48 PM
But again, we are not the target demographic for that poster. It isn’t intended to be a piece of nostalgia for us adults. It is a sales pitch for recruits. Rivers has cache with recruits. Wojo doesn’t.

Correct on all counts. And adding to that, the Rivers shot at Chapel College remains a YouTube sensation....Wojo never had a moment quite like that one.

BD80
03-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Correct on all counts. And adding to that, the Rivers shot at Chapel College remains a YouTube sensation...Wojo never had a moment quite like that one.

I don't know about that. Count how many times this month a kid will run back on D after his team makes a big play and reaches down and slaps the floor to get his team fired up to play D. Pure Wojo.

(I know he wasn't the first, but he is the quintessential example)

HereBeforeCoachK
03-05-2018, 09:01 PM
I don't know about that. Count how many times this month a kid will run back on D after his team makes a big play and reaches down and slaps the floor to get his team fired up to play D. Pure Wojo.

I love Wojo, and follow him now as a head coach, and yes he was certainly one of the quintessential floor slappers on defense - no doubt. I also have mixed feelings about Rivers overall - but man, his 3 to shock the cheats at the buzzer in the Dean Dome? That's a play that lives in the video world today. The heartbreak alone in the Dean's Myth Center is world class. Wojo had more of a career at Duke, by far, but Austin's shot was "a moment."

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-06-2018, 07:28 AM

This seems as good a place for this question as any... Can anyone trace back the genesis of the floor slap? My rickety brain feels like it started in the mid to late 80s and peaked in the mid 90s. I am thinking based on style of play, perhaps Tommy was the first to slap the floor?

kako
03-06-2018, 03:53 PM
This seems as good a place for this question as any... Can anyone trace back the genesis of the floor slap? My rickety brain feels like it started in the mid to late 80s and peaked in the mid 90s. I am thinking based on style of play, perhaps Tommy was the first to slap the floor?

I clearly remember King yelling at teammates to "Touch it! Touch It" in reference to the floor during a game in Cameron, but the action started earlier. I'm sure this was discussed in practice as a method of getting low. It could have even happened before Amaker. But when Duke was getting shellacked back then, they probably didn't have time to slap the floor when Worthy, Sampson, etc. was driving past them to the hole. If someone sees Engelland at the NCAAs (he's often there), they should ask him if he ever was told to slap the floor.

And for the record, I wouldn't trade the Rivers shot for anything. I still would have liked to see Wojo on the poster.

9F