PDA

View Full Version : Duke women's press conference

jimsumner
10-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Notes from today's press conference/open practice.

As of today, season tickets at 4,019, 1100 more than last season and a Duke record.

McCallie comes across as articulate, approachable, and forthcoming. She has spoken to numerous community groups and is a big proponent of community service. Expect her and her players to be very visible. She's going to promote women's hoops in general and Duke women's hoops in particular.

Lots of time spent "getting to know each other." McCallie emphasized that she has not pushed the process, letting everyone ease into it. She describes herself as steady and patient but also passionate. Had nice things to say about Krzyzewski.

She's big on inspirational quotes. The team describes her as philosophical, using basketball to teach life lessons.

Joy Cheek says "we shoot the same way, we pass the same way, but we arrive by different routes." Wanisha Smith says it's almost like everyone is a freshman.

Everyone is healthy and ready to go. Abby Waner, Chante Black, all the rest are recovered from assorted surgeries and maladies. Everyone practicing with no restrictions.

Increased emphasis on weight-lifting. She believes Duke can be stronger, without sacrificing quickness. Everyone has improved strength. Wanisha Smith and Brittany Mitch bench in the 165-pound-range. Abby Waner did 71 push-ups.

Freshman Jasmine Thomas seems to be the presumptive starter at point. She's quick. Real quick. Real, real quick.

Coach P--that seems to be the preferred name--hopes "everybody but me and the manager handles the ball" and emphasizes ball-handling drills. Tempo at many of the practice drills was very fast, almost frenetic. Everybody seemed to know where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to be doing. Not a lot of breaks and these players seem to be in solid aerobic shape.

Chante Black seems to have gained some assertivness. Assistant coach Al Brown spent a lot of time working with Black, Careem Gay, Joy Cheek, and Crystal Thomas, so I guess that's the 4/5 rotation, with the other eight on the perimeter.

Duke is working on a match-up zone. Not the primary defense but Duke may change D's more than previously the case. One of the drills has five players playing zone against six guys.

Yes, the guys are back. Seven tonight. And no walk-ons.

Coach P is real big on the Blue-White game. "A chance for the whole community to come together." She'll let her assistants coach Sunday and will spend some time in the stands. So you might be able to strike up a conversation.

Coach P and Abby Waner agree that AW needs to dial it back. She has a tendency to overwork and needs to place more value on rest. AW called her foot injury an "I got what I deserved" response to overwork. She also acknowledged that she has a tendency to get down on herself when she makes a mistake and needs to work on moving on to the next play and not pouting.

Wanisha Smith seems to be in a similar leadership role to that of Nelson for the men. Abby is more vocal but I sense that teammates will look for Wanisha for leadership. For her part, Smith says Duke will have lots of leaders.

Hope this helps.

heyman25
10-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Great report. I think Coach P will toughen this team up.It may have been something that might have contributed to their painful losses in the Final 4 and NCAA post season play.

I hope they go all the way. It might not happen this year,but in Abby's senior year Duke will be loaded and experienced not to say Md Tennesee UCONN and Rutgers are not.

ohioguy2
10-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Should be an exciting season. I am one of those season ticket holders--got them today--parking pass came a few days ago--bring it on.

Bluedawg
10-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Everyone is healthy and ready to go. Abby Waner, Chante Black, all the rest are recovered from assorted surgeries and maladies. Everyone practicing with no restrictions.

Thanks...I hope you can do this all year.

Question: At the Duke/WF soccer game saw Krystal's foot in a boot. What was that? Also, word on the street is that she has dunked the ball in practice. Any insights to that?

Bluedawg
10-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Great report. I think Coach P will toughen this team up.It may have been something that might have contributed to their painful losses in the Final 4 and NCAA post season play.

I hope they go all the way. It might not happen this year,but in Abby's senior year Duke will be loaded and experienced not to say Md Tennesee UCONN and Rutgers are not.

She has her first two verbal commitments for 08 (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/10/25/WBasketball/Mccallie.Gets.2.Verbal.Commits.For.Class.Of.2008-3056747.shtml) with shooting guard Kathleen Scheer [ranked No. 21] and point guard Chelsea Hopkins.

dukemomLA
10-26-2007, 05:17 AM
I have come to LOVE Coach P -- and feel that the players feel the same. It's going to be an exciting season for WBB at Duke.

Joanne is the PERFECT choice to propel Duke to a championship. I have great faith in her and our awesome women athletes. GO DEVILS!!