PDA

View Full Version : All-ACC Awards

Dukehky
03-04-2018, 03:15 PM
http://theacc.com/news/2018/3/4/mens-basketball-acc-announces-all-conference-team-postseason-awards.aspx

Notables:

Marvin Bagley won ACC POY with 37 votes, Jerome Robinson had 15, Luke Maye had 5, and Devon Hall had 1.

Marvin Bagley won ACC Roy with 57 Votes, Deandre Hunter Had 1 (LOL).

Marvin Bagley was named unanimous first team All ACC, with Robinson, Maye, Guy, and Berry (LOL) rounding out the first team.

Wendell Carter was 2nd Team and Grayson Allen was Third Team.

Notable Omission: Gary Trent was not named to the All Rookie team or All-ACC honorable mention which is an abomination. The All Rookie team included Carter, Hunter, Bagley, Lonnie Walker, and Oshae Brissett.

Bob Green
03-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Tony Bennett wins Coach of the Year. Congratulations to our Wahoos friends.

TheOldBattleship
03-04-2018, 03:26 PM
As always, some very bizarre votes (that De'Andre Hunter vote for Rookie of the Year... man alive), but congrats to our guys for the well-deserved recognition. Would've loved to see a bit more well-deserved recognition, but so it goes. I'm just glad they didn't do something completely absurd like giving Maye the POY.

(Also, am I crazy for thinking that I might take the third team in a game over the second team?)

Anyhow, congrats to Marvin, Wendell, and Grayson!

Dukehky
03-04-2018, 03:29 PM
Bolden got a 6th Man of the year vote. Umm...

Next year he can just be defensive player of the year. We haven't had one of those in a while.

uh_no
03-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Bolden got a 6th Man of the year vote. Umm...

Next year he can just be defensive player of the year. We haven't had one of those in a while.

he's rounding into nice form. yeah the stats weren't there....but there are some flashes.....he had that one nice post move with a dunk last night, and several aggressive rebounds. He's clearly not the one and done a lot of people thought he might be, but he's getting it and based on his minutes, clearly a value to the team.

sagegrouse
03-04-2018, 03:56 PM
http://theacc.com/news/2018/3/4/mens-basketball-acc-announces-all-conference-team-postseason-awards.aspx

Notables:

Marvin Bagley won ACC POY with 37 votes, Jerome Robinson had 15, Luke Maye had 5, and Devon Hall had 1.

Marvin Bagley was named unanimous first team All ACC, with Robinson, Maye, Guy, and Berry (LOL) rounding out the first team.

Notable Omission: Gary Trent was not named to the All Rookie team or All-ACC honorable mention which is an abomination. The All Rookie team included Carter, Hunter, Bagley, Lonnie Walker, and Oshae Brissett.

In terms of number of votes:
#1 -- Bagley (280)
#9 -- Carter (126)
#11 -- Allen (119)

Grayson missed 2nd team by only four votes.

ipatent
03-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Tony Bennett wins Coach of the Year. Congratulations to our Wahoos friends.

Well deserved, he deserves National honors as well.

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 04:07 PM
In terms of number of votes:
#1 -- Bagley (280)
#9 -- Carter (126)
#11 -- Allen (119)

Grayson missed 2nd team by only four votes.

Two ACC first teamers for the 6th team in the ACC tourney- did they underachieve?

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Well deserved, he deserves National honors as well.
If he does not win NCOY there is something wrong in the envelope.

PackMan97
03-04-2018, 04:15 PM
When was the last time the assist leader was left off all three teams especially when he led his team to a top 3 finish and had 2 more assists per game than the next player?

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 04:15 PM

Notables:

More reason for Gary to come back ;)

CDu
03-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Two ACC first teamers for the 6th team in the ACC tourney- did they underachieve?

Nah, they did about what they should have done given their tough schedule this year. I don't have a HUGE problem with them getting two guys on the first team, although I could have easily seen someone else on the first team instead of Berry. But Berry did average 18 ppg in ACC play, and was their most important player all season.

The issue for them was that they got basically nothing from anyone outside their starting 5. So on nights where any of the starters were struggling, they were very beatable. And a couple of those guys (Johnson and Williams) were inconsistent. It's hard to win consistently with so few guys who can make plays.

Honestly, I thought Pinson might sneak into the discussion with his 10 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 assists per game in conference play. But in a conference with 15 teams, it's hard to get 3 guys on the top-20. Ultimately, the award tends to be scoring-heavy, which is why he slid down (and probably why Guy made first team will Devon Hall made second team).

barjwr
03-04-2018, 04:22 PM

I like Tony Bennett a lot, but a pretty good case can be made for former ACC coach Rick Barnes at Tennessee as well. The Vols were picked to finish 13th (!) in the SEC and just beat Georgia last night to finish as co-champs with Auburn.

jhmoss1812
03-04-2018, 04:25 PM
A few comments:

Bagley should have been unanimous ROY. Love Hunter but can't explain that vote.
Berry 1st team seems like a senior recognition award. 6th place team should not have 2 players on 1st team.
Hall should have been 1st team over Guy (if any UVA player was going to be put on 1st team)
Brownell and Keatts had great years but Bennett should have been unanimous COY.
Bolden with a vote for 6th man of the year came out of nowhere. So did Devon Hall for POY.
Miami finished 3rd without anyone on the 3 teams. Maybe Larranaga deserves more credit than I thought.
Markell Johnson should have been on one of the teams
Justin Robinson should have received votes for most improved player
Pretty surprised Gary Trent Jr. didn't show up anywhere
Ben Lammers had a pretty disappointing year considering he was preseason 1st team All-ACC

jhmoss1812
03-04-2018, 04:26 PM
More reason for Gary to come back ;)

Even more reason for him to leave

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Dukehky
03-04-2018, 04:33 PM

Givony, Schmitz, Vecenie: these are the guys that matter in mock drafts.

nbadraft.net is not a good source.

Gary could very well be in the NBA next year, but he would go mid to late second at the absolute best. 15 is an outlier by a bad site. They have Doncic at 5. I will never post again if drops below 3.

This is not an argument for this thread, just wanted to respond. I posted in some other threads about Gary, if you want to discuss further we can go there.

I thought Trent got robbed by not showing up anywhere on these lists. No real problems outside of Berry on first team.

OZ
03-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Marvin Bagley III is the Atlantic Coast Conference's player and rookie of the year

Oops... didn't see the earlier post. I just got too excited.

uh_no
03-04-2018, 04:40 PM
the more i think about it, the fact that a guy putting up 14 and 9.5 was 9th on the list is hilarious. IF i cared about the votes before, i don't now. the whole thing is silly and one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the "national recognition" criteria for retirement.

Or I'm just stumping for grayson to have his number in the rafters.

CDu
03-04-2018, 04:48 PM
the more i think about it, the fact that a guy putting up 14 and 9.5 was 9th on the list is hilarious. IF i cared about the votes before, i don't now. the whole thing is silly and one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the "national recognition" criteria for retirement.

Or I'm just stumping for grayson to have his number in the rafters.

Which big man are you gonna boot from the first team though? The guy averaging 20+ and 12, or the guy averaging 17 and 10?

Such is the reality of a 15-team conference and only 5 first-team spots.

duke74
03-04-2018, 04:56 PM

I’ll ask my friends at PwC. :)

uh_no
03-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Which big man are you gonna boot from the first team though? The guy averaging 20+ and 12, or the guy averaging 17 and 10?

Such is the reality of a 15-team conference and only 5 first-team spots.

any of them that aren't putting up those numbers while competing with the ACC POY for touches and time?

I guess. I hope wendell doesn't care about it....because without bagley on the team, he's a shoe in for first team. I suppose it's one of the risks of one-and-done....you can't shine among your peers since you only get one set of them.

sagegrouse
03-04-2018, 05:11 PM

So, Duke has five of the top 22 selections? Maybe we should blow everyone out on the way to a championship.

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Nah, they did about what they should have done given their tough schedule this year. I don't have a HUGE problem with them getting two guys on the first team, although I could have easily seen someone else on the first team instead of Berry. But Berry did average 18 ppg in ACC play, and was their most important player all season.

The issue for them was that they got basically nothing from anyone outside their starting 5. So on nights where any of the starters were struggling, they were very beatable. And a couple of those guys (Johnson and Williams) were inconsistent. It's hard to win consistently with so few guys who can make plays.

Honestly, I thought Pinson might sneak into the discussion with his 10 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 assists per game in conference play. But in a conference with 15 teams, it's hard to get 3 guys on the top-20. Ultimately, the award tends to be scoring-heavy, which is why he slid down (and probably why Guy made first team will Devon Hall made second team).

Just a little post victory ribbing. UNC has 4 excellent players but they are pretty limited after that. Quality depth may hurt them in the ACC tourney

DarkstarWahoo
03-04-2018, 05:43 PM
A few comments:

Bagley should have been unanimous ROY. Love Hunter but can't explain that vote.
Berry 1st team seems like a senior recognition award. 6th place team should not have 2 players on 1st team.
Hall should have been 1st team over Guy (if any UVA player was going to be put on 1st team)
Brownell and Keatts had great years but Bennett should have been unanimous COY.
Bolden with a vote for 6th man of the year came out of nowhere. So did Devon Hall for POY.
Miami finished 3rd without anyone on the 3 teams. Maybe Larranaga deserves more credit than I thought.
Markell Johnson should have been on one of the teams
Justin Robinson should have received votes for most improved player
Pretty surprised Gary Trent Jr. didn't show up anywhere
Ben Lammers had a pretty disappointing year considering he was preseason 1st team All-ACC

Completely agree. Frankly, Bagley could have been unanimous player (not rookie) of the year and I wouldn’t have batted an eye. Imagine he would have been with a full season of work.

Guy over Hall is a head-scratcher.

jimsumner
03-04-2018, 07:09 PM
The media awards

file:///C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/2017-18%20ACSMA%20All-ACC%20Basketball%20Teams,%20Awards%20Release.pdf

CDu
03-04-2018, 07:10 PM
any of them that aren't putting up those numbers while competing with the ACC POY for touches and time?

I guess. I hope wendell doesn't care about it...because without bagley on the team, he's a shoe in for first team. I suppose it's one of the risks of one-and-done...you can't shine among your peers since you only get one set of them.

Well, one of the two I listed WAS the PoY. I guess I just don’t see the slight in being voted the third-most productive big in the conference. Is he more talented than Maye? Absolutely. Will he be a better pro? No doubt. But it would be hard to argue that he should clearly be in above Maye.

Hopefully if he is upset about it, he channels that into helping the team win more important hardware next weekend and thereafter.

gotoguy
03-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Kudos to the Blue Devils and their awards esp MB III

I saw UVA 4-5 times this year on TV and live against Ga Tech. I don't think Guy would start for Duke. Hunter with 1 ROY vote, really?, is their most talented player. Bennett the MVP there.

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Kudos to the Blue Devils and their awards esp MB III

I saw UVA 4-5 times this year on TV and live against Ga Tech. I don't think Guy would start for Duke. Hunter with 1 ROY vote, really?, is their most talented player. Bennett the MVP there.

What is the argument for Guy? He is a nice player but in what key category was he in the top 10. Maybe it is in ACC play- I am not sure.

sagegrouse
03-04-2018, 08:29 PM
What is the argument for Guy? He is a nice player but in what key category was he in the top 10. Maybe it is in ACC play- I am not sure.

How about, "Best player on the best team?" Gotta be worth something.

kako
03-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Notable Omission: Gary Trent was not named to the All Rookie team or All-ACC honorable mention which is an abomination.

Hope Trent channels this à la MJ as fuel to his fire. It would be great to see him come out with 3pt guns blazing.

DarkstarWahoo
03-04-2018, 08:44 PM

That’s Devon Hall. Guy faded badly late in the year. I blame him getting engaged - women weaken legs. That’s just science.

(In all seriousness, I think you nailed the logic. They just picked the wrong player.)

Troublemaker
03-04-2018, 08:53 PM

I think most UVA fans would take Hunter and Hall over Guy. "Leading scorer on best team" is how I would put it. He's a really good player, though. No disrespect intended.

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 09:05 PM
I think most UVA fans would take Hunter and Hall over Guy. "Leading scorer on best team" is how I would put it. He's a really good player, though. No disrespect intended.

I agree- but is leading scorer on the best team a lock for first team, when not among the best in the league. Is his ACC scoring that much better than his season average? Do UVa players get a multiplication factor because of how slow they play?

W&LHoo
03-04-2018, 10:01 PM

Devon Hall is clearly the best player on the team - but honestly, from a scoring standpoint I don't know who's the best among Hall, Guy, Hunter, or Jerome. Which might be the best and most frustrating thing about this season.

Sir Stealth
03-04-2018, 10:41 PM
I think that unless the ballots are made public then the significance of awards like this is diminished (not meaningless by any means, just diminished). Voters shouldn't be able to get away with indefensible votes. Is there any good reason for not making the votes public?

Neals384
03-05-2018, 04:40 PM
MBIII is only the second Frosh to win the award (Jah).

MBII is the 16th Dukie to win the award, making DUke the team with the most winners in history (I won't mention which team was formerly tied with us).

jimsumner
03-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Another perspective.

http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/news/2018/alldistrict180306.html

sagegrouse
03-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Another perspective.

http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/news/2018/alldistrict180306.html

District III team includes Grayson, Marvin and Wendell:

DISTRICT III
VA, NC, SC, MD

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Marvin Bagley III, Duke

COACH OF THE YEAR
Tony Bennett, Virginia

ALL-DISTRICT TEAM (10)
Grayson Allen, Duke
Marvin Bagley III, Duke
Joel Berry II, North Carolina
Wendell Carter, Duke
Chris Clemons, Campbell
Kyle Guy, Virginia
Devon Hall, Virginia
Luke Maye, North Carolina
Marcquise Reed, Clemson
Justin Robinson, Virginia Tech

kAzE
03-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Duke is #11 defense right now on Pomeroy. It's a little dumb that there's no Duke player on the All-Defense team.

Troublemaker
03-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Duke is #11 defense right now on Pomeroy. It's a little dumb that there's no Duke player on the All-Defense team.

The kenpom system is super sensitive to recent changes, so I don't know if we've been dominant long enough on defense for anyone to qualify.

IF we had played zone full-time for most of the season (and IF that didn't somehow hurt the zone's effectiveness because of more familiarity/scouting or what-have-you), then I'd think Duval and Carter would be contenders for all-defense.

CDu
03-09-2018, 09:09 PM

I am fine with it. Our man-to-man defense was awful. Zone protects individual defenders, and a good zone is more than the sum of its parts. I don’t really think any particular player should be on it.