PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. Cheating Pond Scum (Mar 3, 2018)

JBDuke
03-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over the Cheats tonight?

WVDUKEFAN
03-03-2018, 10:24 PM
Trevon

LasVegas
03-03-2018, 10:25 PM
Grayson. Lone senior who gave it all to Duke. Unanimous in my eyes.

drummerdevil
03-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Dual vote for Grayson and Marvin but I gave it to Grayson because it was his night

MrPoon
I can’t pick anyone other than Grayson. So special of a player and a young man. Other probably put us over the top tonight but for me GA one last time at home. I hope his # hangs in the rafters some time.
Travon’s speed and confidence was special.
Bagley locks down ACC POY, did Maye even play tonight?

curtis325
Lots of good choices, but Bagley gets the nod.

gocanes0506
03-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Dual vote for Grayson and Marvin but I gave it to Grayson because it was his night

MBIII’s last night too

DukeDevil
03-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Gave it to Grayson for not letting his offense being off impact the other parts of his game, and for being our senior captain. Giving a shout out to Duval for looking like our floor commander and playing smart with the ball as well.

ncexnyc
03-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Trevon, the straw that stirs the drink.

CDu
03-03-2018, 10:33 PM
I went with Duval because he turned the tide for us, but worth noting that Bagley was again otherwordly. 21 and 15. He brought it tonight in a big way. I am actually starting to talk myself out of my vote.

DukieInKansas
03-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Had to go with Grayson on his Senior Night.

Furniture
03-03-2018, 10:38 PM
Tricky stuck it to the haters. Will the haters concede?

NM Duke Fan
03-03-2018, 10:40 PM
For me a tie between Bagley, Trevon and Allen. But since I could only choose one it was Trevon, who made everybody better and changed the complexion and energy of the game. May the playing under control, assertiveness and confidence carry over the rest of the season!

jv001
03-03-2018, 10:40 PM
I gave my vote for the Captain on his senior night. But I think Trevon was probably the MOTM tonight. Him along with Coach K for the moves he made at half time. However I gave Trevon my vote in the VT game because I felt sorry for his missing the front end of the one and one. So, it balances out. GoDuke!

hudlow
03-03-2018, 10:43 PM
The Captain got my vote.

But this was a team win.

GO DUKE!

DangerDevil
03-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Senior night, but I could have voted for Marvin or Trevon!

Devilwin
03-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Trevon.. I just had a feeling about him tonight. He really got us going in a big way. Bags was awesome, Grayson had a nice second half, but Tre led the comeback...

Furniture
03-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Mrs Furniture watched her first real game tonight of this year. In the second half she said who is the No1? He can really pass. At the end of the game she said that Duke would not have won with out ‘the No.1’

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2018, 10:52 PM
I'm abstaining because that second half was a beautiful team effort. (And that's the half that mattered.)
So many deserving...and that's what I love to see. LGD!

drummerdevil
03-03-2018, 10:53 PM
MBIII’s last night too

But Grayson gave us four good years compared to one. Nothing against marvin, but it was Grayson’s night

szstark
03-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Trevon - entire game changed when he came in.

TumorBane
03-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Go back and watch the last 6 minutes. Trevon did something good on almost every trip both ends of the court. I was glad he was benched but more glad to see how he responded.

pamtar
03-03-2018, 11:04 PM
I love Grayson and am so appreciative of his strange but awesome journey here at Duke. He's one of the best to ever wear the uniform.

Bagley was super beast mode for about 8 minutes. I mean, I dont think I've ever seen someone as dominant as he was for that stretch before he rolled his ankle. The best part was you could tell that he wanted the win more than anyone on the floor.

But Trevon Duval went full Greg Jennings tonight. I havent bashed him this year. But there have been times when I've facepalmed so hard that I looked like Wesley Willis after a sold out show. This dude grew the hell up tonight. Hopefully he keeps it up.

FerryFor50
03-03-2018, 11:08 PM
Duval was very good and it's encouraging to see him play like we all expected him to... but Bagley was unstoppable.

Ian
03-03-2018, 11:09 PM
It was a team effort as everyone played well in the 2nd half, but for me the difference was Bagley. He went in another gear, the best half of basketball he's ever played in a Duke uniform.

Saratoga2
03-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Bagley was my vote as he carried the team in the second half with a determination that was great to see. Trevon was also great. Of course the sentiment says Grayson on senior night and he was flying around and working hard during the game, but too many mistakes for me to think of him as MOTM.

jv001
03-03-2018, 11:23 PM
Bagley was my vote as he carried the team in the second half with a determination that was great to see. Trevon was also great. Of course the sentiment says Grayson on senior night and he was flying around and working hard during the game, but too many mistakes for me to think of him as MOTM.

All three deserved the award but I gave my vote to Grayson because it's the last time I'll get to see him play in Cameron. Trevon and Marvin have an opportunity to return. The days of 4 year NBA caliber players is coming to an end. :(GoDuke!

CameronBlue
03-03-2018, 11:25 PM
I voted for Bagley but I want to enter into the record a few comments on Bolden. He has made incredible strides this season. He seems SO much more comfortable on the court and, as opposed to earlier in the year, seemingly always in position and able to offer help effectively. Perhaps most importantly, he can defend and rebound in traffic without fouling or getting pushed out of position. I dearly hope he returns for his Jr. season. His transformation has been remarkable.

DU82
03-03-2018, 11:27 PM

I voted for Grayson too, but if it had been any other game, Tre would have been my vote.

(Honorable mention to your mom changing socks at halftime. Of course, good thing we're not superstitious!)

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Duval. But probably should be Bags

Disagree? Well #Hammeredandphonedied

Boom

jv001
03-03-2018, 11:48 PM
Duval. But probably should be Bags

Disagree? Well #Hammeredandphonedied

Boom

But you predicted Duval would have a great game and he did. Looks to be coming around and that's great because we need him to be the kind of player he was tonight. He makes Duke a FF contender. GoDuke!

JNort
03-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Grayson and Duval with the Grayson senior night tie breaker

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 12:09 AM
Bagley was an animal, but Duval keyed the turnaround. We were “dead in the water” as K would say, and Trevon hit a big three and then dishes to Bagley for a dunk. He started the game on the bench and sat for much of the game while the team stunk but he didn’t brood about it and didn’t try to do too much when he finally got the ball in his hands. His work at the top of the zone press also slowed down the UNC offense, only led directly to one or two turnovers but disrupted many more possessions.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Grayson. It was his night! GTHc!

That said, great second half by Marvin and clutch play by Trevon!

CameronBlue
03-04-2018, 12:26 AM
Bagley was an animal, but Duval keyed the turnaround. We were “dead in the water” as K would say, and Trevon hit a big three and then dishes to Bagley for a dunk. He started the game on the bench and sat for much of the game while the team stunk but he didn’t brood about it and didn’t try to do too much when he finally got the ball in his hands. His work at the top of the zone press also slowed down the UNC offense, only led directly to one or two turnovers but disrupted many more possessions.

This is a good point. Duval's ability to break down the defense and dish to Bagley was critical. It also demonstrated how vulnerable UNC is when Berry goes out of the game. The back half of Duke's comeback coincided with Berry's 3rd foul and subsequent banishment to the bench for a few minutes, reminiscent of last year's ACC semi. UNC has no credible back up at point guard particularly on defense. Pinson is good at a number of things but guarding the point ain't one of them. If Duval can maintain the "presence" of mind he found in this game (e.g. picks up on the defensive sets, sees the shifts and "helps" as they occur), Duke's tournament fortunes go from questionable to very promising.

killerleft
03-04-2018, 12:54 PM
I voted for Bagley but I want to enter into the record a few comments on Bolden. He has made incredible strides this season. He seems SO much more comfortable on the court and, as opposed to earlier in the year, seemingly always in position and able to offer help effectively. Perhaps most importantly, he can defend and rebound in traffic without fouling or getting pushed out of position. I dearly hope he returns for his Jr. season. His transformation has been remarkable.

Yep, he deserves a big shout-out. Good health fits him well!

flyingdutchdevil
03-04-2018, 01:02 PM
This is a good point. Duval's ability to break down the defense and dish to Bagley was critical. It also demonstrated how vulnerable UNC is when Berry goes out of the game. The back half of Duke's comeback coincided with Berry's 3rd foul and subsequent banishment to the bench for a few minutes, reminiscent of last year's ACC semi. UNC has no credible back up at point guard particularly on defense. Pinson is good at a number of things but guarding the point ain't one of them. If Duval can maintain the "presence" of mind he found in this game (e.g. picks up on the defensive sets, sees the shifts and "helps" as they occur), Duke's tournament fortunes go from questionable to very promising.

Duval is a monster if a) the opposing team plays M2M and b) the opposing PG isn’t a fast, physical defender.

You could see in the Cuse game that Duval really struggles. He can’t penetrate, and he’s not good at hitting 3s with a defender within 10 feet of him, so the zone is perfect to render Duval ineffective.

And PGs on UVa and St Johns weren’t afraid of Duval (maybe cus they played really physical).

Duval’s ability to penetrate is beautiful. He doesn’t bully his way to the hoop but rather uses a combination of speed and his first step. He could use more finesse and learn to change speeds but he is usually the fastest player on the court so he never had to learn that.

The second half was Duval’s best basketball in a Duke uniform. His teammates loved it and Duval looked ‘happier’, although that’s tough to tell cus Duval doesn’t really smile.

killerleft
03-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Easily Bagley: 21 pts., 15 rebs., 2 blocks, 1 assist, 1 steal. But Trevon Duval was all over the place in the second half. He was great on the offensive end, but his defense, I thought, was on a par this night with some gems turned in by past ACC defensive greats Billy King and Dudley Bradley. Great anticipation, great energy!

BandAlum83
03-04-2018, 02:11 PM

Bolden has become a serious and valued contributor to this team. I also really want to see him next year! I'm

BandAlum83
03-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Duval is a monster if a) the opposing team plays M2M and b) the opposing PG isn’t a fast, physical defender.

You could see in the Cuse game that Duval really struggles. He can’t penetrate, and he’s not good at hitting 3s with a defender within 10 feet of him, so the zone is perfect to render Duval ineffective.

And PGs on UVa and St Johns weren’t afraid of Duval (maybe cus they played really physical).

Duval’s ability to penetrate is beautiful. He doesn’t bully his way to the hoop but rather uses a combination of speed and his first step. He could use more finesse and learn to change speeds but he is usually the fastest player on the court so he never had to learn that.

The second half was Duval’s best basketball in a Duke uniform. His teammates loved it and Duval looked ‘happier’, although that’s tough to tell cus Duval doesn’t really smile.

I think looked that at the beginning of Grayson's post game speech, Duval was choked up. Maybe even a few tears.

richardjackson199
03-04-2018, 03:13 PM
I voted for Duval, because I believe he is key to this team's potential playing like that.

But I could definitely understand a vote for Bagley.

Great moments from many - Trent, Grayson, Bolden, wonderful Cameron Crazies, AOC, etc. - a true team win

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 03:18 PM
I voted for Duval, because I believe he is key to this team's potential playing like that.

El Bingo...and dittos here. Three totally right votes in my opinion, but looking forward, the re-discovery of what this team can be on BOTH ENDS revolves around Duval. I would put honorable mention for Bagley's temper - because that dude goes to a whole other level when he gets angry. K, Grayson and Marvin himself kind of intimated that in post game.

Marvin: stay mad.
Grayson: stay happy.
Trevon: stay just like you were last night.

RPS
03-04-2018, 03:30 PM
Fantastic second half team performance. Marques shouldn't be in the MOTM discussion, but he has become increasingly important. He has been consistent and consistently good. Marvin was a beast. He had a stat-stuffing performance that was even better than the stats suggested. He was better defensively too. Trevon was transformative. He made the difference in Duke becoming the best possible Duke, offensively and defensively. Grayson didn't have his best game (not by a long shot). But he calmly did whatever was necessary. He moved and changed offensive and defensive assignments. He inspired vocally and by example. He fought off the emotional residue of Senior Night festivities to lead his team to a very important victory over a deceptively good team.

Grayson Allen, Duke Legend. Easy choice.

devilsince1977
03-04-2018, 08:24 PM
Easily Bagley: 21 pts., 15 rebs., 2 blocks, 1 assist, 1 steal. But Trevon Duval was all over the place in the second half. He was great on the offensive end, but his defense, I thought, was on a par this night with some gems turned in by past ACC defensive greats Billy King and Dudley Bradley. Great anticipation, great energy!

How dare you use that name? I had almost removed it from my brain. Now it is back and it is all your fault.

killerleft
03-04-2018, 09:10 PM
How dare you use that name? I had almost removed it from my brain. Now it is back and it is all your fault.

Sorry. Just think Billy King... Billy King... Yawn...