pfrduke
03-03-2018, 10:20 PM
DDMF!!!

curtis325
03-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Beast Bagley is back!

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 10:21 PM
This team sure has heart. Things were ugly. Couldn't get stops when they needed it. And then they just dug in and did what they had to do. Duval and Bagley were great. Trent made some big 3's. Carter made some huge plays and got huge rebounds. Allen was steady and had a 4 x 5 game.

InSpades
03-03-2018, 10:22 PM
We just need more selfish players. Selfish players seem to be the key. He seemed extra selfish out there in the 2nd half. Loved every minute of it :).

ice-9
Proud to say when we were down 9 and the forum was still in a meltdown, posted:

I actually don't think we're playing THAT badly. Just not making shots, including free throws.

If we shot 33% from 3 and say, 70% from FT we would be up 7 points.

Our shooting reverted to the mean plus better offensive flow, ball game.

proelitedota
Offense has WOKE. Never let it leave again.

WVDUKEFAN
Motm trevon duval. No doubt.

bludevil_33
03-03-2018, 10:23 PM
"Marvin turned into an animal for 10 minutes and couldn't be stopped..."

Pretty much sums it up.

Trey21
said this night could be the start of something special.

they showed glimpses tonight. huge night for Grayson, Marvin, and Tre.

WHOneedsSOX
We just need more selfish players. Selfish players seem to be the key. He seemed extra selfish out there in the 2nd half. Loved every minute of it :).

You see that big hug by Bagley after the game? Man, he's selfish.

jipops
I had to leave after the 1st half to watch my daughter's dance event. Obviously I'm bad luck. I apologize.

drummerdevil
03-03-2018, 10:24 PM
Go to hell carolina go to hell

CoachJ10
03-03-2018, 10:24 PM
If this is the Trevon who shows up the rest of the season...everyone else, watch out.

arnie
03-03-2018, 10:25 PM
Motm trevon duval. No doubt.

Duval was incredible - made cheater guards look foolish.

Troublemaker
03-03-2018, 10:25 PM
Great win.

The offensive key was restoring Trevon to primary ball-handler. It accomplished two things:
(1) Loosened up the defense. Trevon and Javin are bad off-ball perimeter players because they can't shoot. (It's not their fault really; they shouldn't be used that way).
(2) Trevon's a quick guard and UNC has had problems defending quick guards all season. He used his quickness to make plays inside the paint with dropoffs and lobs to the big men.

The zone was more or less very good to great all game. No worries there. Can we continue to get enough offense to contend for a title? Offense is the key to this team. Defense will be there.

Very happy and very happy for Grayson!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 10:27 PM
If this is the Trevon who shows up the rest of the season...everyone else, watch out.

EL BINGO ^^^^ ......the math became apparent tonight in the second half.

Trevon playing well = Bagley and Grayson playing well at the same time.

rsvman
03-03-2018, 10:27 PM
I have no words.

PackMan97
03-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Y'all were down 50-43 when I tuned in. I'm clearly the difference maker. Who is sending me pie.

I hope UNC enjoys the 6th seed. :)

CoachJ10
03-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Great win.

The offensive key was restoring Trevon to primary ball-handler. It accomplished two things:
(1) Loosened up the defense. Trevon and Javin are bad off-ball perimeter players because they can't shoot. (It's not their fault really; they shouldn't be used that way).
(2) Trevon's a quick guard and UNC has had problems defending quick guards all season. He used his quickness to make plays inside the paint with dropoffs and lobs to the big men.

The zone was more or less very good to great all game. No worries there. Can we continue to get enough offense to contend for a title? Offense is the key to this team. Defense will be there.

Amazing how this season has turned out, isnt it?

CDu
Silly comments I heard tonight:

“This team is a joke”
“It is obvious we are a first weekend team”
“This team can’t win woth Duval”

Countless other gems in the game thread. Has this season not taught y’all anything? How many double-digit leads does this team have to erase for people to stop posting fatalistic comments in the in-game threads?

Unbelievably bad first half (offensively) followed by an otherwordly good second half. When Duval and Bagley are clicking and Trent is hitting from 3, this team is unstoppable.

Huge win. The 1 seed is still alive. And UNC is on their way to an 11-loss season. Fabulous night. Love to all!

dukelion
Talk about a roller coaster ride.

Glad to see Grayson go out like that....made my weekend.

And I'm starting to think these Vegas spread guys know what they're talking about.

scottdude8
Can anyone summarize what Grayson said in the post game interview? Was watching at a bar during my post-wedding bar crawl lol. This was certainly a perfect way to end the night!!!

Chard
Duval off the bench was the master stroke. No foul trouble, fresh legs. He was a disruptor on defense and a distributor on offense. Bagley was the beneficiary of that. Grayson had a solid, solid game.

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Hopefully this win catapults them the rest of the season. Some guys had huge bounce back games. Trent got his shot back. Duval and Bagley looked great. Carter and Allen just do what they always do. Hopefully Bagley's ankle is fine by the weekend.

NM Duke Fan
03-03-2018, 10:31 PM
Probably the most important half of basketball this season so far. Now if the lessons learned and confidence can carry over. The talent is so very much there, the D is solid, it is mostly a matter of how the pieces fit together best on offense, and they snapped into place quite well for a long spell. Very encouraging all around, after about the worst half of missed shots and free throws I can remember. The Tale of Two Halves!

jwillfan
We were tied after a see-saw few possessions at 60. We broke out the bourbon. 14-4 run to end it. 'Nuff said

WHOneedsSOX
Can anyone summarize what Grayson said in the post game interview? Was watching at a bar during my post-wedding bar crawl lol. This was certainly a perfect way to end the night!!!

Basically said Bagley was a beast for 10 minutes, Carter and Trent hit huge shots, Duval played great, and playing at Duke has been everything to him.

WVDUKEFAN
03-03-2018, 10:32 PM
It almost makes you wonder if Tre should run the point again. She was spectacular tonight.

ehdg
03-03-2018, 10:33 PM
I admit I was dumb founded at half time with how they where playing. But they showed heart n picked it up the last 15 minutes! Trent found his outside shot, Bagley wouldn’t be denied, Trevon played under control n drove with authority n lastly Greyson was Greyson. So proud how they ended the game!

jv001
Some great coaching by Coach K in the 2nd half. Putting the ball in Trevon's hands against the cheats man2man and making them shoot the mid-range shot rather than corner 3s was genius. Trevon showed tonight he can run the point. The young man played under control and he was the key tonight. You were right FDD. GoDuke!

Dub
I’m sure I sound like a broken record at this point but Trevon is the X-factor to our championship aspirations for better or worse. Good Trevon makes the game flow much smoother and makes everyone’s job easier (see - lobs to MBIII). He takes Grayson off the ball and spearheads our 3/4 press on D. Bad Trevon takes too many 3s and forces himself into bad situations causing TOs. Great Trevon just takes over the game, plays loose, and has fun. He’s unguardable off the dribble and he changed the game for us in the 2nd half. I hope to see more good/great Trevon as I feel Gary and Grayson are much more effective off the ball. Great comeback win and some much needed rest. Tonight is Grayson’s night but I hope we’ve found our PG. Only time will tell. Great win! Let’s go Duke!

WHOneedsSOX
Still haven't allowed 70 points since switching full time to zone.

Onlyduke
03-03-2018, 10:34 PM
What a turn around! Wonder what Coach K said in the locker room at the half. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall!

godins
03-03-2018, 10:34 PM
It almost makes you wonder if Tre should run the point again. She was spectacular tonight.

I thought I'd seen it all when it came to the crazy comments about Duval, but asserting he's a she? That's breaking new ground for us.

mgtr
03-03-2018, 10:35 PM
If you were normal (or what passes for normal) at the start of this season, you are bipolar by now. Up and down, write them off after one-half, and then they blitz UNC in the second half. Nerve-wracking, but I will take it!

CDu
03-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Still haven't allowed 70 points since switching full time to zone.

Defense was amazing. We held a top-5 offense to comfortably under 1 point per possession.

WHOneedsSOX
What a turn around! Wonder what Coach K said in the locker room at the half. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall!

Make shots. That's pretty much all it came down to. Duke made shots and UNC missed some easy ones, May in particular.

hudlow
Awesome.
So glad to get this win for Grayson.

Congratulations to both teams for a good clean game.

...and a shout out to the officials tonight. That's how a ball game should be run.

hud

DukieInKansas
03-03-2018, 10:37 PM
I had to leave after the 1st half to watch my daughter's dance event. Obviously I'm bad luck. I apologize.

I hope she has some more recitals coming up.

Saratoga2
Wow! After that first half, it was hard to be optimistic. Down 10. Couldn't hit free throws, careless with the ball, missing shots, etc. Where did the second half come from?

1. Trevon came in an played like the PG we really need. He has a lot of talent and when he plays like that, our other talent can go off.
2. Bagley just decided we were going to win and put the scoring and rebounding on his back.
3. Positive results are infectious. Gary started to hit from 3 and so did Wendell, Grayson and Trevon in that period.
4. Lots of energy, rebounding and steals in the second half.
5. Our defense held UNC down in the second half. Haven't checked yet, but I believe it was 24 points in the half.

If there are takeaways from this game, the first would be to reinstate Trevon to the PG role. The team played so much better with Grayson and Trevon switching roles. Also, give Bolden solid minutes as he will help us as his play is very solid.

bluenorth
Duval's play was huge, as he looked like a point guard. It also helps when the threes start to drop. How many different Devils made a three in the second half?

Tjenkins
I'll admit Bagley's ankle gave me a scare, but I never lost faith. What a great farewell for Grayson, watching this team beat UNC means that the next couple days will be slightly better, no matter what happens!

MrPoon
Silly comments I heard tonight:

“This team is a joke”
“It is obvious we are a first weekend team”
“This team can’t win woth Duval”

Countless other gems in the game thread. Has this season not taught y’all anything? How many double-digit leads does this team have to erase for people to stop posting fatalistic comments in the in-game threads?

Unbelievably bad first half (offensively) followed by an otherwordly good second half. When Duval and Bagley are clicking and Trent is hitting from 3, this team is unstoppable.

Huge win. The 1 seed is still alive. And UNC is on their way to an 11-loss season. Fabulous night. Love to all!
Hate to pile on but I logged out of the thread at half. Love watching with you guys but tonight was the first time I had to walk away. The team isn’t a 4-14 FT team and they aren’t a 1-10 3 pt team. The ceiling was too high for these guys for any fan to give up. GA holding us together while the team struggled. Two on both bigs, sitting out for most of last 5.
No team has this much talent. Period and when it clicks at 70% they’ll win most games. Higher than that... look out.

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 10:38 PM
Duval's play was huge, as he looked like a point guard. It also helps when the threes start to drop. How many different Devils made a three in the second half?

5. All 5 guys that were on the court during that run. O'Connell made one in the first.

porkpa
03-03-2018, 10:39 PM
If Grayson doesn't go up in the rafters, its a huge injustice.
Marvin might be the best offensive ACC player since David Thompson.
Considering just ACC play, I would rank MJ third.

jipops
03-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Considering just ACC play, I would rank MJ third.

Don't be shocked though if they give Luke Maye ACC poy.

bluenorth
03-03-2018, 10:42 PM
5. All 5 guys that were on the court during that run. O'Connell made one in the first.

The game is so much easier when all 5 players are dangerous from the 3 point line. Plus I felt that the other team got tight - shots they made earlier just became rebounds for Bagley to scoop up.

WVDUKEFAN
03-03-2018, 10:43 PM
I thought I'd seen it all when it came to the crazy comments about Duval, but asserting he's a she? That's breaking new ground for us.

Seriously? It was a typo.

UNCfan
03-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Good game guys. Your run was impressive and it put fear into our guys. All our open shots were short and you cleaned up every rebound. Hopefully, we will see you next Friday night, if you make it there!

Channing
03-03-2018, 10:45 PM
welcome back Mr. Bagley. Looks like that fire was relit at halftime.

CDu
03-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Fun fact: despite playing 4 fewer games, Bagley is only 28 points and 11 rebounds behind Maye in ACC play.

Highlander
03-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Check out this comparison:

Duke bench - 13 points, 4 steals, 2 blocks, 6 rebounds 6 assists, 1 foul, zero turnovers.

UNC bench - 4 points, 4 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 7 fouls

Furniture
For me this was the worst first half Duke had played all year. My question in chat at the half was why had AOC played 10 mins and Duval 7.
Duval played 15 in the second and he didn’t start. Nuff said.

ncexnyc
Don't understand anyone being critical of the comments made by various board members, myself included especially when it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but boy that was some inspired basketball during the second half.

I gave my MOTM vote to Trevon as he showed up big time in the second half. Bagley stepped up big time as well and that was great to see as there is no way on God's green Earth that the Cheats should be able to contain both Carter and Bagley, one of them had to go off.

Nice touch by Coach K., who caught some heat after the last game for conceding the 2 point shot at the foul line in order to cut off the Cheats 3 point attempts on kick-outs.

Whatever went wrong in the 1st half seemed to go right in the second. From free throws to the 3 ball finally dropping.

It should be an interesting tournament in Brooklyn.

dukelifer
03-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Amazing comeback. Tre played great- but to me, Bags brought tremendous energy with his spectacular dunks and reset the team. Happy for Grayson who has been a warrior for 4 years. Berry and Maye had very poor nights and that helped. A great confidence builder going into the tourney.

Devil549
Great win terrible first half offensively but you have to make free throws. UNC outplayed Duke in 1st half but Duke owned the 2nd half.

Now on to ACC tournament and another Championship!!!

Really happy for The Team and Grayson......GTHCGTH!!!

Bluedog
2nd half: Executed and hit shots, forced more turnovers, got more 50/50 balls, and Duval helped to create easy buckets, while UNC continued to miss shots. Hopefully, Gary will know have more confidence and Duval will be primary PG. I also noticed Duval giving up ball quickly when UNC had to foul, so clearly learned from VA Tech. Overall, very happy with the win! But don't think the second half was that different from a strategy/heart perspective except for hitting more shots and inserting Duval at PG. Also, great minutes by Bolden which is great to see. So happy to beat UNC!!! First round against VA Tech or ND with Bonzie (most likely) won't be easy though.

Furniture
03-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Check out this comparison:

Duke bench - 13 points, 4 steals, 2 blocks, 6 rebounds 6 assists, 1 foul, zero turnovers.

UNC bench - 4 points, 4 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 7 fouls

Duval was on the Duke bench........simple.

TNTDevil
03-03-2018, 10:50 PM
Roy begins his post-game comments with glowing praise for Grayson. Class move.

jv001
Good game guys. Your run was impressive and it put fear into our guys. All our open shots were short and you cleaned up every rebound. Hopefully, we will see you next Friday night, if you make it there!

One thing you can count on and that's our guys will go to class this week even though we have games. Your guys should really be rested up. :cool: GoDuke!

Bluedog
Anywhere to watch post game?

DangerDevil
Huge second half, that was a rough first half and would have been a tough loss to swallow!

Dukehky
03-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Duke goes as Duval goes, and if Duval goes like that, Duke goes a long way.

jipops
03-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Fun fact: despite playing 4 fewer games, Bagley is only 28 points and 11 rebounds behind Maye in ACC play.

Last season's result jaded me...still bitter.

Better offensive efficiency, even a better defensive efficiency...still lost out to a dude in light blue.

Devilwin
03-03-2018, 10:54 PM
GREAT second half by my boy Trevon Duval. He led the charge, even though Bags took over and Grayson and Gary hit some threes. Great win over a good team. That is a number six seeded good team..lol:)

dukelion
03-03-2018, 10:54 PM
D is now 10th in KenPom....wow.

And we're the only team with a top 10 O and D in the entire NCAA.

curtis325
03-03-2018, 10:55 PM
D is now 10th in KenPom....wow.

And we're only team with a top 10 O and D in the entire NCAA.

Sounds like a lock for the Natty!

MCFinARL
03-03-2018, 10:56 PM

Well, but how did the dance event go? If well, it probably isn’t you.

Troublemaker
03-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Anywhere to watch post game?

It's live now: https://www.pscp.tv/dukebasketball/1MnxneOAjqMJO

duke2x
Congrats to Grayson and the rest of the guys that won't lose at home to UNC again. Grayson knows how to make alumni happy and haters angry in an interview. He will be missed.

It's amazing that UNC constantly blows double digit halftime leads under Roy in Cameron (now 3-6 if ESPN is correct). I don't think I want Roy to retire soon either.

ndkjr70
I didn’t believe. I should have believed.

I wish it didn’t take a 10-Point deficit to get these boys to wake up, because the crowds in the tournament will not be Cameron.

No idea how to feel about this team headed towards the dance. We can beat everyone in the tournament and we can probably lose to everyone in the tournament. Hope we avoid Florida as a low seed (too good at 3’s) and hope we avoid Purdue as a high-seed (most complete team in college ball in my opinion).

Love these guys. DDMF.

CDu
03-03-2018, 10:58 PM
Last season's result jaded me...still bitter.

Better offensive efficiency, even a better defensive efficiency...still lost out to a dude in light blue.

UNC won the conference regular season last year though, while we were a Wednesday team in the ACCs. Totally different this year.

godins
03-03-2018, 10:58 PM
Seriously? It was a typo.

I guess our sarcasm meters aren't in sync tonight. Carry on!

heyman25
03-03-2018, 10:59 PM
Wow! After that first half, it was hard to be optimistic. Down 10. Couldn't hit free throws, careless with the ball, missing shots, etc. Where did the second half come from?

1. Trevon came in an played like the PG we really need. He has a lot of talent and when he plays like that, our other talent can go off.
2. Bagley just decided we were going to win and put the scoring and rebounding on his back.
3. Positive results are infectious. Gary started to hit from 3 and so did Wendell, Grayson and Trevon in that period.
4. Lots of energy, rebounding and steals in the second half.
5. Our defense held UNC down in the second half. Haven't checked yet, but I believe it was 24 points in the half.

If there are takeaways from this game, the first would be to reinstate Trevon to the PG role. The team played so much better with Grayson and Trevon switching roles. Also, give Bolden solid minutes as he will help us as his play is very solid.That game blew my mind.We had the worst played 20 minutes in recent Duke history. Certainly against Carolina. Then Bagley went off and sparked the team. It was like suddenly Duke ignited. Carter may have had his worst game at Duke, but Marvin and Trevon were spectacular! Trent Jr finally shot the ball like he is capable of. Grayson is a really cool Captain. He had his worst 1st half ever. Turnovers galore poor decision making. Then he coalesced the team after Marvin singlehandedly with great assists from Trevon brought us back. At about the 26 minute mark this team did not look like they had it to come back.

Very thankful for the win. If this team ever puts it together for 40 minutes, look out .If we can play like the last 14 minutes consistently can see a National Championship.

bedeviled
03-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Grayson addressing crowd postgame (My best attempt at typing as he talked):
["4 more years" chant] I wish, I wish.

I'm so glad we won that game. [cheers] First, I want to recognize every senior in the building. This is all of our Senior Night. [cheers] I'm so, uh, I'm so happy I was able to share this last moment in here with y'all. Also, I just want to give it up - this is our last game as a group together in here, so give it up for all these guys. [cheers]
[shout out] I love you, too.

My mom told me before the game this was a celebration. So, it was supposed to all be happy, no tears. So, I'm gonna try to keep it together for y'all. Hopefully, she'll keep it together over there, too, or I'll cry. ["Thank you mom" chant]
My mom and my dad and I have a huge section of family and friends and supporters over there. Those people were the ones who were right here for me. They were my rock while I was going through things these 4 years. So first thing, is I want to appreciate...

Second person I want to acknowledge, I don't think he's out here, is Coach K. The all time wins leader, GOAT, everything. Whatever you want to call him, that's what he is. Coming out here, my parents put full trust in him.Growing up, I wanted to come to Duke... I dreamed of coming to Duke just like probably all y'all did. First time I met Coach K, like I was seeing a ghost. Now, here I am 4 years later. The first time I saw him was a home visit... Ready to commit right there. That was my acceptance letter there.

There was a sign here: 'He's not back, he never left.' And, I love that! ["Give him the sign" chant]
I never thought about leaving. I never truly wanted to leave. I knew that Duke University was the best place I could be. Yeah. And, I couldn't imagine not having a night like tonight. Not being able to share this night with ya'll. And, I'd give anything to have another game in here. I'm so appreciative for all y'all have given me.

When I was first coming to Duke, i was thinking of all the things I could do, all the fun i could have, the things I could do for Duke University, the 3's I could hit. Duke, y'all, the fans, the crowd, parents... gave me way more than I could ever give to Duke. Duke is way bigger than me.

I'm so happy to...
This is the last little ??, I'm not going to lie [cheering]
All of...everyone here that has followed along with my journey or seen everything that I've gone through in my 4 years, you know it's been a roller coaster - highs of the freshman year, having a great soph year, and a lot of lows there in between, a lot of lows.
For me, when I started playing basketball, it wasn't about the crowd, cameras, lights. Had everything to do with loving the game of basketball. Somehere in my 4 years here, I had to find that again. And, it's tough when your dealing with a lot of things, when you're dealing with a lot of negativity. I want you to know these people here, my family, coaches, ya'll...are the reason I felt that love again. And, y'all are a huge, huge reason why I'm able to stand here with a smile on my face, running up and down the court, and feeling that love again. I'm forever appreciative of y'all showing me that love over 4 years no matter what. Thank you very much.

So, the next journey for this team. We're not playing here any more. We're going to New York - ACC tournament. And, we're gonna try and win that thing.
After that, March Madness. ["We want six!" chant] We want 6, too. And, for the whole class of 2018 at Duke and for every class here, we're going to try to win that one for ya'll. We love ya'll.

FerryFor50
03-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Defense was amazing. We held a top-5 offense to comfortably under 1 point per possession.

I was shocked to see Luke Maye miss open mid range shot after open mid range shot. Also shocked to see Pinson hitting so many.

A lot went right in the 2nd half; hopefully it carries over to the ACC Tournament. Double bye, 2nd seed and UNC falls to the 6TH SEED. No double bye. Awesome night!

TNTDevil
03-03-2018, 11:03 PM
This GOAT post-game is just freakin' awesome.

elvis14
03-03-2018, 11:08 PM
What a great comeback victory. So happy for Grayson. What I really like about this team is that we have so many ways we can beat you. Some night's, like tonight, we need Trevon to attack. Other nights, we need Grayson to stabilize, etc. UNCheat couldn't stop Duval so we went with that and it worked. Next game we may need something different...and we are likely to get it.

Cool that we beat the Cheats with Carter struggling. He's been our best player lately. He had a bad game and we still spanked those cheating SOB's. Can't wait to see who steps up next.

VA_BDevil
03-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Grayson addressing crowd postgame (My best attempt at typing as he talked):
["4 more years" chant] I wish, I wish.

I'm so glad we won that game. [cheers] First, I want to recognize every senior in the building. This is all of our Senior Night. [cheers] I'm so, uh, I'm so happy I was able to share this last moment in here with y'all. Also, I just want to give it up - this is our last game as a group together in here, so give it up for all these guys. [cheers]
[shout out] I love you, too.

My mom told me before the game this was a celebration. So, it was supposed to all be happy, no tears. So, I'm gonna try to keep it together for y'all. Hopefully, she'll keep it together over there, too, or I'll cry. ["Thank you mom" chant]
My mom and my dad and I have a huge section of family and friends and supporters over there. Those people were the ones who were right here for me. They were my rock while I was going through things these 4 years. So first thing, is I want to appreciate...

Second person I want to acknowledge, I don't think he's out here, is Coach K. The all time wins leader, GOAT, everything. Whatever you want to call him, that's what he is. Coming out here, my parents put full trust in him.Growing up, I wanted to come to Duke... I dreamed of coming to Duke just like probably all y'all did. First time I met Coach K, like I was seeing a ghost. Now, here I am 4 years later. The first time I saw him was a home visit... Ready to commit right there. That was my acceptance letter there.

There was a sign here: 'He's not back, he never left.' And, I love that! ["Give him the sign" chant]
I never thought about leaving. I never truly wanted to leave. I knew that Duke University was the best place I could be. Yeah. And, I couldn't imagine not having a night like tonight. Not being able to share this night with ya'll. And, I'd give anything to have another game in here. I'm so appreciative for all y'all have given me.

When I was first coming to Duke, i was thinking of all the things I could do, all the fun i could have, the things I could do for Duke University, the 3's I could hit. Duke, y'all, the fans, the crowd, parents... gave me way more than I could ever give to Duke. Duke is way bigger than me.

I'm so happy to...
This is the last little ??, I'm not going to lie [cheering]
All of...everyone here that has followed along with my journey or seen everything that I've gone through in my 4 years, you know it's been a roller coaster - highs of the freshman year, having a great soph year, and a lot of lows there in between, a lot of lows.
For me, when I started playing basketball, it wasn't about the crowd, cameras, lights. Had everything to do with loving the game of basketball. Somehere in my 4 years here, I had to find that again. And, it's tough when your dealing with a lot of things, when you're dealing with a lot of negativity. I want you to know these people here, my family, coaches, ya'll...are the reason I felt that love again. And, y'all are a huge, huge reason why I'm able to stand here with a smile on my face, running up and down the court, and feeling that love again. I'm forever appreciative of y'all showing me that love over 4 years no matter what. Thank you very much.

So, the next journey for this team. We're not playing here any more. We're going to New York - ACC tournament. And, we're gonna try and win that thing.
After that, March Madness. ["We want six!" chant] We want 6, too. And, for the whole class of 2018 at Duke and for every class here, we're going to try to win that one for ya'll. We love ya'll.

Great stuff. Thanks for posting Grayson's comments

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 11:09 PM
I mean if you watched Grayson Allen’s postgame with ESPN and didn’t get choked up, you don’t have a pulse.

I own 4 Duke jerseys. A Battier I saved up for as a 4th grader with allowance money. A Redick my dad gave me as a Christmas present in high school. And 2 Grayson Allen jerseys, Home and away. I love this kid and I will weep like a baby when he’s played his last game. Hopefully while cutting down nets.

heyman25
03-03-2018, 11:10 PM
Considering just ACC play, I would rank MJ third. If Art Heyman were alive I bet he would be a huge Marvin fan. Marvin's 2nd half was comparable to Art Heyman's 40 minutes Senior Night (40 points and 24 rebounds) Billy Cunningham of the 76ers wore Carolina Blue.

TheOldBattleship
First of all, WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Second of all, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Third of all, what a great second half! Duval was enormous. His ability to get by his man without needing any special action run to get him space is just outrageously important for this team against good defenses (and that 3 was definitely one of the major, major turning points of the game). And combine that with a Bagley that was fully starting to rev his engine there in the second half? Look out. That double offensive rebound possession leading to an and-1 for Bagley was outrageous. How that guy gets off the floor with so much bounce on a second (or, like, eighth, on occasion) jump is just unbelievable. Wendell had a tough night with the fouls, but he and Bolden both hung tough and really stabilized the zone in the second half. Trent finally hit a few (some of the biggest shots of the game, too).

But, serious, major props to Grayson. He played his tail off, as he has night in and night out for this team for the past four years, and made a huge difference as the clear leader on the floor tonight. He's going down as an all-time great Blue Devil, and tonight showed off why: he brings an offensive burst, sure, but he has learned to make a difference in a lot of the little ways that smart players do, from his defensive positioning, to his ability to pass into the post from any angle on the perimeter, to his ability to see what needs to be done and step in and do it. Heck of a career, and one that I'm so glad he got a chance to celebrate tonight.

MrPoon
I was shocked to see Luke Maye miss open mid range shot after open mid range shot. Also shocked to see Pinson hitting so many.

A lot went right in the 2nd half; hopefully it carries over to the ACC Tournament. Double bye, 2nd seed and UNC falls to the 6TH SEED. No double bye. Awesome night!

Maye seemed to me to be rushing his shot all night. It was though Duke had some great shot blocker and it made him nervous. Odd shooting performance. UNC will miss Pinson.

jv001
03-03-2018, 11:12 PM

I think game pressure got to Luke in the 2nd half. Matter of fact it got to most of the guys in the ugly blue. Grayson said in the post game interview the guys were not tired in the 2nd half. The Crazies gave them energy. What a win now let's win the ACCT. GoDuke!

CameronBlue
03-03-2018, 11:13 PM

I was shocked to look at the ESPN box score and see Cam Johnson went 4-12 from 3. I could've sworn it was like 6 for 8 or something similar; he was unstoppable or so it seemed.

Great win. Marvin Bagley is a freak of nature, in every positive sense of the word. The putback of his own missed shot--honestly I don't think I've ever seen a more athletic play in organized basketball, go back to David Thompson maybe, simply stunning.

ncexnyc
03-03-2018, 11:17 PM
As great a season as Maye has had for the Cheats, nobody should be surprised by what went down tonight. Having retired this past April, I've had the pleasure of watching a number of ACC games this season and Maye has feasted on teams without quality bigs. When matched up against the likes of our frontcourt or a team like Sparty he's been exposed.

Maye and Jefferson have a lot in common, they are 4's who were pressed into service as 5's, at least Maye is a terrific outside shooter.

Furniture
03-03-2018, 11:18 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/BridgetABC11/status/970148638147207169/video/1

Celebrates with his heroes...

Ian
03-03-2018, 11:18 PM
Bagley and Duval both played the best half of basketball in their Duke careers. The question now is if they can do that every game.

Hancock 4 Duke
03-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Interesting post game from K. “For the rest of my time here, however long that is, I won’t have another senior like [Grayson]. Because they’re gonna be too good and they’re gonna leave [early].”

MrPoon
03-03-2018, 11:20 PM
I was shocked to look at the ESPN box score and see Cam Johnson went 4-12 from 3. I could've sworn it was like 6 for 8 or something similar; he was unstoppable or so it seemed.

Great win. Marvin Bagley is a freak of nature, in every positive sense of the word. The putback of his own missed shot--honestly I don't think I've ever seen a more athletic play in organized basketball, go back to David Thompson maybe, simply stunning.

Unbelievable play. Fouled on the first shot which is why it was so far off, didn’t stop. Hit the second shot before the defense landed on their block attempt. Amazing.

As an aside, Ellis at half time of the next game said he thought the kid from Arizona is POY. What does that say about his relationship with his employer? Either he doesn’t believe their reporting or he is willing to name an ineligible player POY? (I know, I know, he’s a hack of an analyst but still)

NYBri
03-03-2018, 11:21 PM
So, I’m having dinner with a house guest and my wife, and I check the score on my phone at halftime... and then read a bit of the in game thread about 5 minutes into the second half when we were down 11,and I’m thinking the mods are doling out infractions by the boat load...then I check in when it was 50-43...and then watch the scores periodically as we start our Texas-like comeback.

Now, my guest has left and I’m about to watch the game on replay.

I have a shooteating grin like I always do when we beat the cheats. :cool:

dukelifer
03-03-2018, 11:24 PM
Bagley and Duval both played the best half of basketball in their Duke careers. The question now is if they can do that every game.

Duval played hard on both sides of the ball and looked to drive and dish. He was much more decisive. He has had a couple great games. It is all about consistency.

TNTDevil
03-03-2018, 11:24 PM
I think game pressure got to Luke in the 2nd half. Matter of fact it got to most of the guys in the ugly blue. Grayson said in the post game interview the guys were not tired in the 2nd half. The Crazies gave them energy. What a win now let's win the ACCT. GoDuke!Maybe.

I think it was that 3/4-court press. It seemed to speed Curlina's offense up and they started shooting shots with alligator arms.

AtlDuke72
03-03-2018, 11:25 PM

Not going to happen.

FerryFor50
03-03-2018, 11:25 PM
Bagley tonight...

Ian
03-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Unbelievable play. Fouled on the first shot which is why it was so far off, didn’t stop. Hit the second shot before the defense landed on their block attempt. Amazing.

As an aside, Ellis at half time of the next game said he thought the kid from Arizona is POY. What does that say about his relationship with his employer? Either he doesn’t believe their reporting or he is willing to name an ineligible player POY? (I know, I know, he’s a hack of an analyst but still)

I don't think it was a shot at all. He purposely threw it off the backboad knowing he's be the only guy who can catch it and dunk.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 11:28 PM

And these two concepts are related......

MrPoon
03-03-2018, 11:29 PM
I don't think it was a shot at all. He purposely threw it off the backboad knowing he's be the only guy who can catch it and dunk.

I see, so that is why the refs didn’t call the foul? It was a pass to himself? :rolleyes:

jv001
03-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Maybe.

I think it was that 3/4-court press. It seemed to speed Curlina's offense up and they started shooting shots with alligator arms.

That could have been game pressure brought on by the press. We got our hands on a lot of balls in that press and it took time off the shot clock. Great coaching in the 2nd half by GOAT.
GoDuke!

FerryFor50
03-03-2018, 11:31 PM
Another point I don't see mentioned much... how much K has been using his bench, even in huge rivalry games.

8 Duke players played over 10 minutes (some of that due to foul trouble)

9 Duke players played in total.

Duke had more players play over 10 minutes than UNC did. Between that and playing zone, who is this team?

FerryFor50
03-03-2018, 11:32 PM
I see, so that is why the refs didn’t call the foul? It was a pass to himself? :rolleyes:

They sure didn't miss calling borderline travels on Bagley early. They did miss one on Pinson, tho.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 11:33 PM
Cool that we beat the Cheats with Carter struggling. He's been our best player lately. He had a bad game and we still spanked those cheating SOB's. Can't wait to see who steps up next.

Agree 100%. I love Wendell, but tonight, as the game got more physical, Bagley got angry and dominated...while Wendell seemed a little off his game...wasn't as strong with this hands and his body as was Bagley. But even on a not so great night, Wendell hit a huge 3.

TNTDevil
03-03-2018, 11:33 PM
I see, so that is why the refs didn’t call the foul? It was a pass to himself? :rolleyes:Just watched the play. Bagley got raked on his shooting arm. Probably resulting in him wanging it off the backboard like he did.

Thankfully, he's a human pogo-stick.

FerryFor50
03-03-2018, 11:35 PM
Agree 100%. I love Wendell, but tonight, as the game got more physical, Bagley got angry and dominated...while Wendell seemed a little off his game...wasn't as strong with this hands and his body as was Bagley. But even on a not so great night, Wendell hit a huge 3.

Wendell was picking up some pretty weak fouls, considering the level of physical play going on. But his offensive foul that fouled him out was legit. Smacked Maye right in the head.

Furniture
03-03-2018, 11:38 PM
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/WATCH-Allen-Duval-and-Carter-Discuss-Win-Over-North-Carolina-115817388/Amp?__twitter_impression=true

Of course there have been a lot of opportunities to connect to Grayson over these 4 years. I wonder if part of the unforgiving comments on Trevon is because fans don’t know him.

When I listen to his interviews (link above) I hear so many of the things that justify why he is a Duke College basketball player.

jv001
03-03-2018, 11:38 PM
Wendell was picking up some pretty weak fouls, considering the level of physical play going on. But his offensive foul that fouled him out was legit. Smacked Maye right in the head.

Yes, Wendell got his money's worth on that play. GoDuke!

TNTDevil
03-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Wendell was picking up some pretty weak fouls, considering the level of physical play going on. But his offensive foul that fouled him out was legit. Smacked Maye right in the head.He smacked him the cabbage for sure. Took a pretty good arm-bar to the liver first but...play-on.

tschang
03-03-2018, 11:41 PM
What a game.

I have to say that I was on the DBR chat for the first time and it was quite an interesting experience with lots of mood swings.

Here are a few of the pivotal moments and difference makers in the 2nd half:

1) Tre comes in at the 14:24 mark. On defense, he’s at the top of the zone and disruptive, both in the three-quarters court zone and the half court zone. On offense, he starts running the offense, breaking down the defense, getting it to Bagley for a dunk or scoring. Compared to earlier in the season, he makes much better decisions with the ball and gets the ball to the right people. I believe all of his 6 assists were in the 2nd half. 0 turnovers as his play was controlled throughout. In K's press conference, he said that this was Tre's best half of the year.

2) K talks about winning 5 minute segments. The key segment was at about the 10:50 mark and it was actually about 1 minute. Duke is down 50-43. Here are the next few plays:

a. Bagley hits a 3. It’s 50-46.
b. Bagley drives, misses and has two “2nd jump” rebounds, scores for the and 1. Hits the free throw. It’s 50-49.
c. After Bagley twists his ankle, Grayson passes to Trent, who hits a 3. It’s 50-52 with 9:30 to go. And more importantly, that got Trent going. He had been 2 for 11 up until that point.

In about 70 seconds of game time (and three possessions), Duke goes on a 9-point run. In K's press conference, he talked about how Bagley got angry and just willed the team to win.

Duke leads for the first time since the first half and Roy calls a TO. After that, the score see saws back and forth, but the momentum is clearly on Duke’s side.

3) In the 2nd half, our zone makes some improvements. We’re much more active, deflecting lots of balls (at one point, three deflections in one possession) and we close out on the three ball better. For example, in the first half, UNC is 5 out of 6 from the corner three. Most of those weren’t defended because our wing player didn’t shift over. In the 2nd half, they’re 1 for 3 from the corner three (Kenny Williams hit one). Because we’re defending the three, UNC is forced to take short jumpers and they're not successful with Maye missing a few straight.

4) On offense, our guys are moving the ball around much better. Bagley and Duval’s inside game opens up the outside and the ball moves around, which puts Trent and Grayson in positions to hit 3s.

5) Our free throw percentage improves. In the first half, we were 4 for 14. In the second half, we were 5 for 6 (Bolden misses the front end of a one-and-one that rims out, but Grayson, Wendell and Marvin are 5-5).

Congrats to Grayson on his Senior Night. Great kid, great student and great representative of the university. Really happy for him and the team.

CoachJ10
03-03-2018, 11:43 PM
They sure didn't miss calling borderline travels on Bagley early. They did miss one on Pinson, tho.

Either call ALL the travels in a game (some games there a easily double digits travels) or dont call any. When the refs arbitrarily pick one or two to call, it just looks silly on their part.

sagegrouse
03-03-2018, 11:55 PM

Wendell, whenever he blinked his eyes, was called for a foul. It's a bit de-motivating, to say the least. I thought a couple of those calls were truly bogus.

Bluedog
03-03-2018, 11:55 PM
Incidentally, not surprising, but Trevon said that this was his last game in Cameron after a reporter asked a leading question (linked above). Obviously, things can always change if he gets certain information from the NBA but I certainly hope he does well from here on out because that will mean we do well as a team!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 12:02 AM
Wendell, whenever he blinked his eyes, was called for a foul. It's a bit de-motivating, to say the least. I thought a couple of those calls were truly bogus.

I agree, he had a rough night with the stripes......

Furniture
03-04-2018, 12:10 AM
Apparently with UNC down 10, Roy Williams motioned to Coach K as if to say they weren’t going to foul. K turned and got a chance to sub out Grayson Allen for one final Senior Night cheer. RoyW applauded while they hugged. Rivalry respect.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Apparently with UNC down 10, Roy Williams motioned to Coach K as if to say they weren’t going to foul. K turned and got a chance to sub out Grayson Allen for one final Senior Night cheer. RoyW applauded while they hugged. Rivalry respect.

The hate in this rivalry is mostly with the fans. And I cannot stand Heel fans....but clearly tremendous respect among the coaches, and most players. Roy defended Grayson publicly a couple of times last season for example. At a certain level, Duke and Carolina need each other. You can't be part of the best rivalry in college basketball, and maybe best of any rivalry, without the other team.

TNTDevil
03-04-2018, 12:18 AM
Apparently with UNC down 10, Roy Williams motioned to Coach K as if to say they weren’t going to foul. K turned and got a chance to sub out Grayson Allen for one final Senior Night cheer. RoyW applauded while they hugged. Rivalry respect.K was asked about this and said, in effect: "I didn't see Roy. I never look at the other coach...(laughter)...nah, nah, Roy and I are good friends...I just don't look at the other coach. I look at my team."

Roy's opening remarks in his post-game presser w/r/t Grayson are a great moment in sports.

duke4ever19
03-04-2018, 12:19 AM

K said in the postgame press conference that he didn't notice. "I never look at the other coach."

Edit: TNTDevil beat me to it.

weezie
03-04-2018, 12:19 AM
My friends, that was quite an evening. Grayson's first words, "I'm so hungry."
Our boys really took us on a ride tonight

God bless you Grayson and thank you for choosing Duke.

proelitedota
03-04-2018, 12:20 AM
Trevon was key. Great effort all around from the second half. Thank you Grayson for an amazing ride.

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 12:25 AM
I still need to go back and read this thread, but here are my thoughts.

- the team was wound so tight in the first half, they were clearly affected by the magnitude of the game. It wasn’t until about halfway through the second half that they relaxed and just played their game.
- Bagley and Carter with two fouls each in the first half, mostly frustration fouls reaching for rebounds after we missed on terrible shots. UNC did a great job preventing the entry passes just as VT had done and we couldn’t get anything going.
- in the second half we finally started running some off-ball screens to free up shooters and some cross-screens to open up entry passes. Then Marvin went all Teen Wolf and nobody could stop him. With the threes also starting to fall, it was game over.
- Duval really keyed the turnaround, hitting a three and then dishing to Bagley for a dunk. Give him credit, after starting on the bench and sitting for much of the game, he came in and played under control and made good things happen on both ends.
- I know a lot of fans want Alex to play more, as evidenced by the three he quickly knocked down, but he immediately gave up a three on the other end by blowing his assignment, effectively negating his three. Then on the final play of the half he again lost his man and let them nail a dagger three at the buzzer. He’s just too much of a liability on defense, even in the zone.

Hugely satisfying win after an awful first half. On to the postseason!

Wander
03-04-2018, 12:26 AM
Maybe.

Agreed. I don't know if the press directly caused a turnover, but it shaved off a lot of UNC's shot clock seconds on many possessions.

CameronBornAndBred
03-04-2018, 12:26 AM
"Aliens took over my guys' bodies" - Roy Williams in the media room.

sagegrouse
03-04-2018, 12:31 AM
I still need to go back and read this thread, but here are my thoughts.

- the team was wound so tight in the first half, they were clearly affected by the magnitude of the game. It wasn’t until about halfway through the second half that they relaxed and just played their game.
- Bagley and Carter with two fouls each in the first half, mostly frustration fouls reaching for rebounds after we missed on terrible shots. UNC did a great job preventing the entry passes just as VT had done and we couldn’t get anything going.
- in the second half we finally started running some off-ball screens to free up shooters and some cross-screens to open up entry passes. Then Marvin went all Teen Wolf and nobody could stop him. With the threes also starting to fall, it was game over.
- Duval really keyed the turnaround, hitting a three and then dishing to Bagley for a dunk. Give him credit, after starting on the bench and sitting for much of the game, he came in and played under control and made good things happen on both ends.
- I know a lot of fans want Alex to play more, as evidenced by the three he quickly knocked down, but he immediately gave up a three on the other end by blowing his assignment, effectively negating his three. Then on the final play of the half he again lost his man and let them nail a dagger three at the buzzer. He’s just too much of a liability on defense, even in the zone.

Hugely satisfying win after an awful first half. On to the postseason!

I thought UNC played extremely, extremely hard on defense in the first half and very effectively. (Yeah, I know, free-throw defense (4 of 14) doesn't count.). I wondered if the Heels could sustain it or would begin to tire, as many other opponents do. And, yes, the UNC defensive effort was not nearly as strong in the second half.

TNTDevil
03-04-2018, 12:33 AM

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8167&stc=1http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8168&stc=1

Scorp4me
03-04-2018, 12:42 AM
Incidentally, not surprising, but Trevon said that this was his last game in Cameron after a reporter asked a leading question (linked above). Obviously, things can always change if he gets certain information from the NBA but I certainly hope he does well from here on out because that will mean we do well as a team!

Kid did great tonight and has a ton of potential but...smh.

ChillinDuke
03-04-2018, 12:43 AM
Wow.

Folks, wow.

A lot of people have said a lot of stuff. All year long. I just simply want to say this team can win it all.

They are a heart attack. But they can win against the best.

If they don't reach the peak, i, like all on here, will be disappointed and upset. But this team can reach the peak. Just like last year. Just like a lot of years.

Recency bias will be nice to us until at least our next game.

Love to all! (Props to CDu)

- Chillin

TNTDevil
03-04-2018, 12:45 AM
Maybe.

Agreed. I don't know if the press directly caused a turnover, but it shaved off a lot of UNC's shot clock seconds on many possessions.I realize now that I was imprecise in my language on this post. What Wander says is true, it shaved the seconds off the shot-clock...which seemed to confuse Curlina and they rushed shots.

I'm on my third (sorta) review. Great moments:

Duval's three started the comeback.

When Trevon splits that double-team and dishes to Bagley -- sick.

When Grayson comes off the floor, hugging GOAT, the faces of the Associate coaches...powerful. Read their lips.

The hug that Bagley gives Grayson...what does he say? I hear: "Han shot first."

uh_no
03-04-2018, 12:53 AM

yes. the team are learning about that now that they are all majors in the newly founded department of alien studies. it's open to all students, but oddly enough, 98% of the enrollment are basketball and football players....

:D :D

Anyway, one thing I haven't seen yet.....UNC really pulled away when wendell left the floor with 2 fouls. at the time it was 26-23, and the game had largely been almost entirely within 1 possession. After he went out, by my count UNC out rebounded us 7-3 and outscored us 9-2.

Don't get me wrong, bolden did well out there....but IMO one of the biggest reasons UNC wasn't wiping the floor with us while we couldn't hit anything was wendell carter. Unfortunately it may get overlooked due to his missing some chippies he might should have made....

kako
03-04-2018, 12:59 AM
5 postgame thoughts - forgive me if I repeat anything higher in the thread:

1. FT shooting first half. Pitiful. It made it seem like the half was so much worse than it actually was. I liked the energy in the first half, but the lack of conversions made me sick.

2. I count myself as a season-long Duval questioner, but in the 2nd half of tonight's game he was the man. My MOTM will be Allen since it's senior night and his line was excellent, if I ignore all his TOs... But Duval's play was great. He didn't look for his shot, which was key to me. And his speed seemed dialed down just a notch, which made me feel like he was more under control. Any time a player is key to a win vs. UNC, he gets a lot of slack from me moving forward. That all being said, I like the starting lineup - let's start off throwing height at the opponents, as it may intimidate them. But Duval off the bench is a good move, and he won't totally scare me now.

3. Bolden continued to play well. And having him there when both Carter and Bagley had fouls really helped the team over that stretch.

4. Bagley's incredible follow on his missed shot must have been intentional, right? I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. He was a monster in the 2nd half.

5. A great win, but it seemed to me UNC missed a lot of less-than-contested shots. The zone still should be improved. Guys are often out of position, especially off missed shots.

OK, because it's the final home game, and it's against Carolina, I'm adding three more:

6. So so so happy to see Trent hit those 3's. We need him out of his slump to go far.

7. What can be said about Allen, other than congrats and thanks... So happy for him - I want to see that hug with K again and again over the years, like the Wojo hug.

8. Roy - say hi to the 6th seed!

9F 9F 9F

uh_no
03-04-2018, 01:03 AM
Guys are often out of position, especially off missed shots.

we're holding a lot of really decent offenses to pitiful efficiencies for the past month. It's not just "luck" they're missing their shots.

If the point is to point out that there is still room to improve, then I will never disagree :)

dukejim1
03-04-2018, 01:19 AM
Kid did great tonight and has a ton of potential but...smh.

It seems to me that Trevon has had 5-6 halves this year he looked like a first round draft choice and many more where he looked at best 2nd round. Hopefully tonight was the bulb lighting for him that will lead to a strong finish to this year. We can go very deep if he makes tonight’s game a new norm.

Neals384
03-04-2018, 01:28 AM
Duke has now won 25 or more for the 11th straight season.

subzero02
03-04-2018, 01:36 AM
"Marvin turned into an animal for 10 minutes and couldn't be stopped..."

Pretty much sums it up.

Yeah, angry Marvin is a bad man. I've watched an unhealthy amount of basketball in my lifetime but his tenacity on some of those rebounding sequences was must see TV. His play had to be intimidating to everyone on the court, including his teammates and the refs.

brevity
03-04-2018, 02:30 AM
Sometimes a win can feel like a loss. The game recap from the NCAA website (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-03-03/duke-vs-north-carolina-score-blue-devils-storm-back-second):

I guess the political equivalent would be “TRUMAN DEFEATS TRUMAN”.

pfrduke
03-04-2018, 04:13 AM
One thing to add. We did not play as badly in the first half as the score suggested. Obviously, there were the missed free throws, but we also had really excellent looks close to the rim that just didn’t go. With the exception of the last 4-5 minutes, we got good shots. We certainly played better in the second half, but there was no point in the game where the quality of our play was actually 10 points worse than UNC - we just got a little unlucky for a while. Play that first half with the same shots 10 times and our actual score was probably the worst that could be expected from the quality of our execution.

DukeDevil
03-04-2018, 05:57 AM
Grayson Allen's senior night speech:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=6249220

Couldn't get the embed link to, well, embed.

DevilYouKnow
03-04-2018, 06:35 AM

Why not? He did help lock up the #6 finish for the Tarholes!

DUKIE V(A)
03-04-2018, 07:28 AM

He's just so damn selfish. Doesn't want anyone else to touch the ball. 😉

arnie
03-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Another point I don't see mentioned much... how much K has been using his bench, even in huge rivalry games.

8 Duke players played over 10 minutes (some of that due to foul trouble)

9 Duke players played in total.

Duke had more players play over 10 minutes than UNC did. Between that and playing zone, who is this team?

That’s the biggest oddity of the game - K played our subs more than twice as long as Roy played his. I’m certain that’s never happened in this series. It took K a long time to absorb the wisdom of This Board, but think he’s got it now.

DBGoins
03-04-2018, 07:41 AM
We hit outside shots in the second half, it opened up the lane.

Go Duke, real season starts now. Bring home the hardware...

ikiru36
03-04-2018, 07:47 AM
Sometimes a win can feel like a loss. The game recap from the NCAA website (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-03-03/duke-vs-north-carolina-score-blue-devils-storm-back-second):

I guess the political equivalent would be “TRUMAN DEFEATS TRUMAN”.

Cue Okulaja reference...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-04-2018, 07:50 AM
We gathered four more rebounds and played even on turnovers, fourteen a piece. Recipe for success moving forward.

Saratoga2
03-04-2018, 08:01 AM
That’s the biggest oddity of the game - K played our subs more than twice as long as Roy played his. I’m certain that’s never happened in this series. It took K a long time to absorb the wisdom of This Board, but think he’s got it now.

One of our subs was Trevon.

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Rewatched the last 10 min (again) and Duval seemed to play with an urgency that I had not seen all season. He was penetrating with a purpose and if he can do that - then that opens everything up. And one of those purposes is to get the ball to Bagley on the block. Guard play is critical in the tourney. Duval and Allen will need to be excellent to get far. Last night was a great example of how to model their play.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Great win.

Spot-on analysis.

Our zone defense passed it’s biggest test last night, because if any team is built to defeat a zone it’s the CHeats: good shooting, solid rebounding, good ball-handling.

Holding them to under 65 points and less than 30 in the 2nd half while our offense exploded is truly impressive.

Earlier in the year, we had offense but couldn’t get stops correspondingly on defense.

Last night, in the 2nd half, not only did our D get stops, our offense came alive and continued to score.

The key in the 2nd half was Duval, of course. He opened everything up on offense with his penetration.

In the 1st half, we were passing the ball around the perimeter and trying to feed the post from the top, allowing UNC to either deny the entry pass, get the steal, or double down in the post.

Duval’s play eliminated that defensive game plan for the Heels and they had no way of stopping it.

... Amazing how good we can look when we have great PG play.

A very satisfying win!!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Time to get all my gear on and hit the Whole Foods in Chapel Hill!!!!!

devilnfla
03-04-2018, 08:17 AM

Ok, well switch Trevon's minutes with Javin's and Duke still had more minutes from their bench.

slower
03-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Time to get all my gear on and hit the Whole Foods in Chapel Hill!!!!!
Just take a stroll down Franklin Street. :p

Preferably, wearing one of these:

There are several different MB3 t-shirt/hoodie styles on eBay now.

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Rewatched the last 10 min (again) and Duval seemed to play with an urgency that I had not seen all season. He was penetrating with a purpose and if he can do that - then that opens everything up.

Hitting that first three was huge for him, it forced the defense to play up on him and he can get by just about anyone. His form on that three looked so much better than it has all season. He didn’t fade away or to the side but had good balance and shot it confidently. A great sign moving forward.

CDu
03-04-2018, 08:20 AM
yes. the team are learning about that now that they are all majors in the newly founded department of alien studies. it's open to all students, but oddly enough, 98% of the enrollment are basketball and football players...

:D :D

Anyway, one thing I haven't seen yet....UNC really pulled away when wendell left the floor with 2 fouls. at the time it was 26-23, and the game had largely been almost entirely within 1 possession. After he went out, by my count UNC out rebounded us 7-3 and outscored us 9-2.

Don't get me wrong, bolden did well out there...but IMO one of the biggest reasons UNC wasn't wiping the floor with us while we couldn't hit anything was wendell carter. Unfortunately it may get overlooked due to his missing some chippies he might should have made...

Worth noting that that entire late first half run also came with Bagley out with 2 fouls too. In fact, we were tied at 21 when Bagley went out, just before Carter. Carter finished with a -4 plus/minus in the first half. Bagley was even. Bolden finished the half -6. DeLaurier was -3.

For the game, Bagley was +20, Carter +10, Bolden even, DeLaurier -3.

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 08:32 AM
I guess Joel Berry doesn’t “enjoy” playing in this “high school gym” after all.

Joel Berry: 'I Played Scared As Hell'

link (https://scout.com/college/north-carolina/Article/North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-Basketball-Joel-Berry-I-Played-Scared-As-Hell-115817671)

robed deity
03-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Worth noting that that entire late first half run also came with Bagley out with 2 fouls too. In fact, we were tied at 21 when Bagley went out, just before Carter. Carter finished with a -4 plus/minus in the first half. Bagley was even. Bolden finished the half -6. DeLaurier was -3.

Wait, you're saying that Duke may actually be better WITH Marvin Bagley?

arnie
03-04-2018, 08:49 AM

True, but even if you substitute Javin’s minutes for Trevon’s, our bench minutes still nearly double the Heel minutes.

uh_no
03-04-2018, 08:50 AM

things i totally missed live.....that marvin was ever in foul trouble at all and sat down in the first half. I think at that point in the game. oops.

Saratoga2
03-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Duke play seemed flat for the first half as evidenced by poor shooting in general and from the line as well. The defense wasn't getting after the corner threes and the offense had now flow to it. Generally, the guys were playing hard and getting steals and a fair share of rebounds, except those resulting from missed FT's. While it probably isn't acceptable to talk in any way negative about GA's game, he continued his high TO rate from the VT game in the first half, no doubt fully aware that it was hurting the team. The point is that he was forced into the primary play maker role when Trevon was having trouble and it is not his forte. GA had 6 TO's and several others where he was saved by the hustle of other players.

In the second half, once Trevon demonstrated that with his speed he could penetrate the defense and then make good decisions with the ball, the team started playing to its potential. The offense had more flow and life, GA got into his happier role of shooting guard and the interior guys got their easy baskets. Trevon also did a good job with his defense disrupting the easy passing lanes due to his speed and length. If he can repeat that and allow GA to get back to his shooting guard, our limits are much higher. When things begin to click for a few guys, it is infectious and everyone starts to do their thing. GT really came out of his shooting funk at the same time.

There was one criticism earlier of AOC that I think was a little off the wall about how he lost his man and gave up one of more 3's. AOC had a steal and two rebounds and his a corner 3 when no one else was able to hit anything. He was asked in the defense to double the dribbler and several guys, including Marvin and Gary had difficulty doing that. I think AOC played fairly well and doesn't deserve harsh criticism.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 08:54 AM
Wait, you're saying that Duke may actually be better WITH Marvin Bagley?

Hah, yeah shocking ain't it? Altho to be fair, this seems to be linked to Trevon playing well....totally changes the dynamic on both ends.

Emerrick
03-04-2018, 09:01 AM

That’s not what he said. He said this was probably his last game at Cameron playing with the starting 5. Very different.

Emerrick
03-04-2018, 09:14 AM
I’m rewatching this morning. This game (certainly the 2nd half) is probably one of the top 5 best games post 1993. It almost rivals Jwills and Nate’s Maryland comeback. Perhaps it’s just recency bias, but what a friggin great game!

I may have to rewatch again before the day is over.

flyingdutchdevil
03-04-2018, 09:20 AM
I’m rewatching this morning. This game (certainly the 2nd half) is probably one of the top 5 best games post 1993. It almost rivals Jwills and Nolan’s Maryland comeback. Perhaps it’s just recency bias, but what a friggin great game!

Second half for sure. But not the whole game. UNC played okay in the first half; Duke was just awful and that lead is mainly a product of Duke sucking more than UNC playing amazing.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 09:22 AM
I’m rewatching this morning. This game (certainly the 2nd half) is probably one of the top 5 best games post 1993. It almost rivals Jwills and Nolan’s Maryland comeback. Perhaps it’s just recency bias, but what a friggin great game!

Hah, I celebrated by watching "The Laettner Game" documentary from ESPN (spoiler alert:Laettner's shot went in again...)

TruBlu
03-04-2018, 10:01 AM
At halftime last night, I had typed:

“I hope we play as well in the second half as we played poorly in the first half.”

I deleted it before posting, as I thought it might be considered to be bashing the team’s first half non-performance. Even though it didn’t get posted, the basketball gods smiled and granted my wish.

GTHC, and stay there.

DukieInKansas
03-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Hah, yeah shocking ain't it? Altho to be fair, this seems to be linked to Trevon playing well...totally changes the dynamic on both ends.

So, it might be a team effort? Love when the fist comes to play.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 10:25 AM
So, it might be a team effort? Love when the fist comes to play.

Yep, the fist, with a few extra fingers needed from time to time. That said, I think the glue that allows Bags and Grayson to play well at the same time is Trevon playing with energy and without turnovers. Grayson's best moments last night were when Trevon was helping out with the PG duties.

We've talked on this board, and there's been talk elsewhere, about how to get Grayson and Bags scoring at the same time. I think Tre is that key, after watching last night. I think they "found something." I hope so.

WVDUKEFAN
03-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Just a thought, but do you guys think Bags may have been holding back prior to last night due to his knee? Maybe just a little bit apprehensive because he was afraid of aggravating the injury?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Just a thought, but do you guys think Bags may have been holding back prior to last night due to his knee? Maybe just a little bit apprehensive because he was afraid of aggravating the injury?

My guess is he kind of hit "the freshman wall" - that seemed to have impacted all four frosh recently. I think perhaps he rediscovered his "anger" last night, and has pushed through it. I think maybe Gary and Trevon pushed through that wall last night too. I think Wendell will soon.

Hauerwas
03-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Such a wild season. First, we are scoring 90 a game and barely win cause we can't defend. Then, miraculously K changes the defense to zone and we begin standing teams up but the problem is it also stood us up on offense. The slower we made people play on D the slower we played on O. Normal I guess especially for a young team.

Maybe last night we figured out how to do both, now we just have to execute. That's a lot better situation than still not having answers. We've figure out the defense, now we understand how to keep pushing the ball and attacking on offense even in the zone.

I'd like to play UNC one more time and actually put together a complete game because I still believe we are 15 to 20 points better than they are at our best.

As much as I give K grief for the one and done strategy, there's nobody in the business better than him in feeling the game, feeling his players and making adjustments. He needs to continue to just let these kids play free and loose. Don't call plays, run, pass, shoot open shots and feed the post. They still might not have peaked...

nmduke2001
03-04-2018, 10:41 AM
The good:
Bagley playing like the National Player of the Year in the second half.
Duval looking like a point guard.
Trent finding his shot.
Grayson winning his last game at Cameron.
GTHC.

The bad:
That idiot “dabbing” behind Grayson during the post game interview. Duke fans have a certain unfair reputation and that dude certainly added to that reputation. I can’t imagine how awful that guy would be at a party.

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 10:43 AM
My guess is he kind of hit "the freshman wall" - that seemed to have impacted all four frosh recently. I think perhaps he rediscovered his "anger" last night, and has pushed through it. I think maybe Gary and Trevon pushed through that wall last night too. I think Wendell will soon.

Perhaps. I think more than anything-teams have figured him out and it is more difficult for him to create. He needs to work on his handle, the ability to go right and his mid range game. That said Duval opened up the game for him a bit and that is what he needs to get going. He is load with some space near the bucket.

subzero02
03-04-2018, 10:45 AM
The good:
Bagley playing like the National Player of the Year in the second half.
Duval looking like a point guard.
Trent finding his shot.
Grayson winning his last game at Cameron.
GTHC.

The bad:
that idiot “dabbing” behind Grayson during the post game interview. Duke fans have a certain unfair reputation and that dude certainly added to that reputation. I can’t imagine how awful that guy would be at a party.

Raindrops...

uh_no
03-04-2018, 10:56 AM
The bad:
That idiot “dabbing” behind Grayson during the post game interview. Duke fans have a certain unfair reputation and that dude certainly added to that reputation. I can’t imagine how awful that guy would be at a party.

yeah. darn people having fun at a basketball game.

stedge
03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Is the game going to be shown again? Though I taped it they cut away w 37 secs left... and I would like a complete and “clean” recording to watch over and over!!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Perhaps. I think more than anything-teams have figured him out and it is more difficult for him to create. He needs to work on his handle, the ability to go right and his mid range game. That said Duval opened up the game for him a bit and that is what he needs to get going. He is load with some space near the bucket.

Yes, I agree that is part of it, no doubt....and really, I think that being figured out is what contributes to all frosh hitting the wall....along with the grueling schedule, the travel, the speed of the game...I think it's all part of it

moonpie23
03-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Wow....i am so bummed.....i went over to IC to check on our good friends down the road, only to learn that the REFS handed us the game.....apparently UNC played better, but some money or something got exchanged at half time and the zebras started making calls AGAINST unc......so much in fact, it TURNED the game energy...

dang, what a buzz-stripper...

mkirsh
03-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Rewatched the last 10 min (again) and Duval seemed to play with an urgency that I had not seen all season. He was penetrating with a purpose and if he can do that - then that opens everything up. And one of those purposes is to get the ball to Bagley on the block. Guard play is critical in the tourney. Duval and Allen will need to be excellent to get far. Last night was a great example of how to model their play.

Part of this is that Duval is a really bad matchup for UNC. In the first game his foul trouble was a big contributor to Duke’s loss. If Duke plays UNC again this week I hope Coah K lets him loose earlier in the game. UNC doesn’t have anyone who can stay in front of him.

Troublemaker
03-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Ok, well switch Trevon's minutes with Javin's and Duke still had more minutes from their bench.

True, but even if you substitute Javin’s minutes for Trevon’s, our bench minutes still nearly double the Heel minutes.

Yeah, it's like somewhere along the way, Coach K and Roy caught whiff of the "Duke is UNC and UNC is Duke this season" narrative, liked it, and are now carrying it out to absurdity.

You can almost sense them privately chuckling and making fun of the other.

Coach K: "Look at me, I'm Roy Williams. I'm going to pound the ball inside, that's what I do. Durka dur. Forget spacing the floor. Durka dur."

Roy: "Look at me, I'm Coach K. I'm not going to play my bench in big games. Durka dur."

I’m rewatching this morning. This game (certainly the 2nd half) is probably one of the top 5 best games post 1993. It almost rivals Jwills and Nate’s Maryland comeback. Perhaps it’s just recency bias, but what a friggin great game!

Second half for sure. But not the whole game. UNC played okay in the first half; Duke was just awful and that lead is mainly a product of Duke sucking more than UNC playing amazing.

Emerrick is only referring to the memorableness of the game, I believe, and not the overall quality for 40 minutes. In fact, he/she specifically mentioned a game against Maryland in which the Terps kicked our butts for most of the game.

Many of the memorable Duke-UNC games in Cameron seem to involve UNC outplaying us in the 1st half and then Duke coming back with a vengeance in the second half.

Unlike Emerick, I won't have this game as a personal top-5 most memorable or best or anything, but it's one that I will rank highly and will love re-watching.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Wow...i am so bummed....i went over to IC to check on our good friends down the road, only to learn that the REFS handed us the game....apparently UNC played better, but some money or something got exchanged at half time and the zebras started making calls AGAINST unc...so much in fact, it TURNED the game energy...

dang, what a buzz-stripper...

Yeah, the refs were really kind to Marvin on traveling and really kind to Wendell on fouls both ways..........(is sarc tag even needed?)

That game had nothing to do with officiating...Duke was really mostly bad for 23 minutes and really really good for 17 minutes.

NashvilleDevil
03-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Yeah, the refs were really kind to Marvin on traveling and really kind to Wendell on fouls both ways......(is sarc tag even needed?)

That game had nothing to do with officiating...Duke was really mostly bad for 23 minutes and really really good for 17 minutes.

And Duke’s good is 15-20 points better than anyone in the country.

CDu
03-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Such a wild season. First, we are scoring 90 a game and barely win cause we can't defend. Then, miraculously K changes the defense to zone and we begin standing teams up but the problem is it also stood us up on offense. The slower we made people play on D the slower we played on O. Normal I guess especially for a young team.

Maybe last night we figured out how to do both, now we just have to execute. That's a lot better situation than still not having answers. We've figure out the defense, now we understand how to keep pushing the ball and attacking on offense even in the zone.

I'd like to play UNC one more time and actually put together a complete game because I still believe we are 15 to 20 points better than they are at our best.

As much as I give K grief for the one and done strategy, there's nobody in the business better than him in feeling the game, feeling his players and making adjustments. He needs to continue to just let these kids play free and loose. Don't call plays, run, pass, shoot open shots and feed the post. They still might not have peaked...

Interesting thoughts. I wonder if last night’s second half will make people rethink their in-game over-the-top negative comments. Probably not, but one can hope. What do you think?

uh_no
03-04-2018, 11:40 AM
Interesting thoughts. I wonder if last night’s second half will make people rethink their in-game over-the-top negative comments. Probably not, but one can hope. What do you think?

I said to OZZIE at the game that I'm glad I didn't have to see what was being said during the in-game!

jwillfan
03-04-2018, 11:45 AM
I said to OZZIE at the game that I'm glad I didn't have to see what was being said during the in-game!

Stayed away from in-game thread and chat - couldn't bear it. Until halftime when I chimed in about the optimistic view - that we can only play better in the 2nd half. I was right!

CDu
03-04-2018, 11:50 AM

Stayed away from in-game thread and chat - couldn't bear it. Until halftime when I chimed in about the optimistic view - that we can only play better in the 2nd half. I was right!

The irony is that some have previously acknowledged their mistakes, yet there they were doing it all over again last night. Only to have those comments look silly again within an hour.

Rich
03-04-2018, 11:52 AM
The irony is that some have previously acknowledged their mistakes, yet there they were doing it all over again last night. Only to have those comments look silly again within an hour.

I don't login to the in-game thread because the negativity stresses me out, but this would all just go away if we would play 40 minutes of good basketball!

BandAlum83
03-04-2018, 11:52 AM

We never "have to" see what's going on in the in-game thread, or chat. I choose not to and I'm happy about that!

I tried to go to the ATL watch party last night. Way too crowded, no tables, tight space. I think I may have found the winning combo. Two Saturday's in a row, Mrs. Bandalum and I at Taco Mac. :)

Can't do it for the next 9 games though.

uh_no
03-04-2018, 11:55 AM
We never "have to" see what's going on in the in-game thread, or chat. I choose not to and I'm happy about that!

I tried to go to the ATL watch party last night. Way too crowded, no tables, tight space. I think I may have found the winning combo. Two Saturday's in a row, Mrs. Bandalum and I at Taco Mac. :)

Can't do it for the next 9 games though.

mmmmm love me some tacomac. i'm guessing last night gave you some heartburn without even needing to get the death wings!

either way, good wings, good beer, higher quality than the other chains (one of which sponsors duke...) and without being ridiculously overpriced.

szstark
03-04-2018, 11:55 AM

No. Last week K was a genius for moving Grayson to the point and Trevon to the wing - now he is genius for moving Trevon back to the point. Monday K was a fool for his end of game strategy - now the opposite. Before: Bagley and Grayson can’t play together - now what a great combination. Before: our offense is so steady all we have to do is play decent defense - now our defense is so good all we have to do is play decent offense. Detect a pattern here? You will never change the glass half empty people. I’m not sure how they even enjoy watching the games.

BandAlum83
03-04-2018, 11:58 AM
mmmmm love me some tacomac. i'm guessing last night gave you some heartburn without even needing to get the death wings!

either way, good wings, good beer, higher quality than the other chains (one of which sponsors duke...) and without being ridiculously overpriced.

Honestly, I was never worried. No heartburn! I said to Mrs. Bandalum at the 17:00 mark, "ok, here's where we start our 12-2 run". I wasn't far off.

BandAlum83
03-04-2018, 12:00 PM
No. Last week K was a genius for moving Grayson to the point and Trevon to the wing - now he is genius for moving Trevon back to the point. Monday K was a fool for his end of game strategy - now the opposite. Before: Bagley and Grayson can’t play together - now what a great combination. Before: our offense is so steady all we have to do is play decent defense - now our defense is so good all we have to do is play decent offense. Detect a pattern here? You will never change the glass half empty people. I’m not sure how they even enjoy watching the games.

Don't forget: there is too big a drop off after the top 5 to trust playing them, to isn't it great how we can play so deep.

And..we need more AOC to he looks lost out there.

Ugh.

Furniture
03-04-2018, 12:38 PM

One poster got kicked out of chat. I have never seen that before. It was much better after his/her removal....

flyingdutchdevil
03-04-2018, 12:41 PM
One poster got kicked out of chat. I have never seen that before. It was much better after his/her removal...

Was it the anti-Duval crumudgeon?

killerleft
03-04-2018, 12:44 PM
I've always thought that the worst offenders in chat are the guys who are there to blow off steam and keep themselves reasonably sane during games. I hope it's working.:)

szstark
03-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Emerrick is only referring to the memorableness of the game, I believe, and not the overall quality for 40 minutes. In fact, he/she specifically mentioned a game against Maryland in which the Terps kicked our butts for most of the game.

Many of the memorable Duke-UNC games in Cameron seem to involve UNC outplaying us in the 1st half and then Duke coming back with a vengeance in the second half.

Unlike Emerick, I won't have this game as a personal top-5 most memorable or best or anything, but it's one that I will rank highly and will love re-watching.

From someone who knows him well, please forgive Emerrick - he hasn’t experienced as much Duke basketball as some of us. :)

WVDUKEFAN
03-04-2018, 01:30 PM
If Trevon can repeat that kind of play from here on out, we're untouchable. With the defense playing the way they are, we just have too many weapons.

FerryFor50
03-04-2018, 01:36 PM
I've always thought that the worst offenders in chat are the guys who are there to blow off steam and keep themselves reasonably sane during games. I hope it's working.:)

That’s usually what I use game chat for.

Last night, I decided screaming at the TV was better. 😁

elvis14
03-04-2018, 01:36 PM
One poster got kicked out of chat. I have never seen that before. It was much better after his/her removal...

Overall, I thought the chat last night was civil and I rather enjoyed it. I wasn't paying attention for much of the first 10 minutes or so. Who got booted and for what?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 01:39 PM

I think that's a very helpful utility of the in game threads....and quite a bit of irony in some posters' complaints about other posters.....

Ian
03-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Can we put a stop to the constant complaints in every post game discussion about gamethreads/gamechats? Gametheads/chats are always like that, not just with Duke fans but with every fanbase. Nothing that is said there should be taken seriously because they are said in the heat of the moment when emotions are running high. Their entire purpose is for people to vent. Everyone should know that going in and if that's an issue for you just don't participate.

uh_no
03-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Can we put a stop to the constant complaints in every post game discussion about gamethreads/gamechats? Gametheads/chats are always like that, not just with Duke fans but with every fanbase. Nothing that is said there should be taken seriously because they are said in the heat of the moment when emotions are running high. Their entire purpose is for people to vent. Everyone should know that going in and if that's an issue for you just don't participate.

No it's not. per board decorum, venting is explicitly disallowed.

Venting. Related to Destructively Negative. If you're too emotional to post thoughtfully, don't post.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 02:01 PM
So is venting about other people venting considered venting? Just asking....

uh_no
03-04-2018, 02:04 PM
So is venting about other people venting considered venting? Just asking...

unsure. but to be explicit, I was venting about someone venting about people venting about venting. If you have a beef with that, feel free to vent :D

DukeDevil
03-04-2018, 02:04 PM

Does that apply to chat? I thought the impermanent nature of chat means its more flexible to emotions and venting. That being said, if it's who I think it was that was booted, it was long overdue.

I had chat open but was only passively participating as I had friends over to watch, but it didn't seem horrible even during the first half.

uh_no
03-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Does that apply to chat? I thought the impermanent nature of chat means its more flexible to emotions and venting. That being said, if it's who I think it was that was booted, it was long overdue.

I had chat open but was only passively participating as I had friends over to watch, but it didn't seem horrible even during the first half.

Not a mod...but I believe that's correct. OP mentioned the threads as well.

elvis14
03-04-2018, 02:23 PM

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Ian again.

tteettimes
03-04-2018, 02:26 PM
If he/she apologizes can they return??

dyedwab
03-04-2018, 02:28 PM

I'd put it this way:

1st Half Duke - if we play like that throughout - is destined to be out quickly in both the ACC and the NCAA tournaments.

2nd Half Duke - if we play like that throughout - can beat all comers.

And what's amazing is that, we may have looked as bad as we have all season in the first half, yet in the second half, we overcame that and beat a good team by 20 points (in the half). It's remarkable.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 02:30 PM
I'd put it this way:

1st Half Duke - if we play like that throughout - is destined to be out quickly in both the ACC and the NCAA tournaments.

And what's amazing is that, we may have looked as bad as we have all season in the first half, yet in the second half, we overcame that and beat a good team by 20 points (in the half). It's remarkable.

Zackly. The comments in the two halves was remarkably different - because the team's play in the two halves was remarkably different. If someone really cares, of course they'll have up and down moods and comments.

CDu
03-04-2018, 02:33 PM

So is venting about other people venting considered venting? Just asking...

Per the board's rules:

"Destructively Negative. Oh, there are times when things aren't going Duke's way, and we want to discuss the loss or other less than pleasant issue. Its OK to be negative, but do so in a manner that is not destructive to the person (particularly players, staff, and their families). "

Examples of things that are OK:
"- 'Player X has to work on his rebounding" or
'Player Y really has a low shooting percentage from three point range" is fine."

Examples of things that are not allowed:
"'Player X couldn't rebound if he was the only player on the court,'
'Player Y jacks up nothing but airballs,' 'Player Z sucks and shouldn't wear a Duke uniform,'
'Player X won't have a place and should transfer,' are all examples of Destructively Negative. We don't throw players under the bus here."

"Venting. Related to Destructively Negative. If you're too emotional to post thoughtfully, don't post."

So, per guidelines, yes, it is okay to complain about things. No, it is not okay to spew your emotions into the game threads when those emotions are overly negative. Things like "this team is a joke" and "this is obviously a first-weekend loser" fall into the "not OK per the rules" camp.

It's one thing to say "man, that was a frustrating first half. Hope we play better because we won't win otherwise." It WAS a frustrating first half. We all get that and we all felt that. It's another to say "the one and dones are killing the program", or "this team is a joke", or, well, you get the idea. The latter are unacceptable per the board's rules. And yet, some folks feel the need to post them in game threads repeatedly anyway whenever the team is having a rough time.

The board has been pretty clear in their position that they don't want that type of negativity here.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-04-2018, 02:35 PM

According to the game link posted for chats, the same rules apply as for the forum. In practice, it seems there is a bit more leniency for frustration and mild language, but the general spirit of the chat ought to be similar to the forum.

Add me to the list of people who find posters venting about posters who vent about in game venting to be obnoxious.

Wander
03-04-2018, 02:37 PM
I'd put it this way:

Not really sure I agree with this assessment... I thought it was pretty obvious that we would make a run in the 2nd half. Going 4-14 on free throws and having both Carter and Bagley in foul trouble were very unlikely to be attributes that would be sustained throughout the entire game.

YmoBeThere
03-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Examples of things that are not allowed:
'Player Y jacks up nothing but airballs,'

What if Player Y is Joel Berry II? Wouldn't that then qualify as insightful commentary? :rolleyes:

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Add me to the list of people who find posters venting about posters who vent about in game venting to be obnoxious.

Seems to me there's a clash of personality here. Perhaps Type A more emotive people want to vent some, or even read that some others share their frustrations even if they don't comment. Perhaps Type B don't need that or want that, from anyone, and tend to feel the need to ironically vent about that. The written rules of the board tend to track along the Type B traits. So those are the rules, but do you want to pull everybody who goes 53 in a 45 zone?

Add this to the long list of reasons I have no interest in being a mod on any type of board. Thank God for 'em.

dyedwab
03-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Not really sure I agree with this assessment... I thought it was pretty obvious that we would make a run in the 2nd half. Going 4-14 on free throws and having both Carter and Bagley in foul trouble were very unlikely to be attributes that would be sustained throughout the entire game.

My view is that when we don't put the ball in the basket, it tends to have a cascading effect on everything we do. So I never really counted on a run - the 4-14 on FTS was actually the reason I wasn't counting on it.

But, man, when we start hitting a few, everything gets better.

CDu
03-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Seems to me there's a clash of personality here. Perhaps Type A more emotive people want to vent some, or even read that some others share their frustrations even if they don't comment. Perhaps Type B don't need that or want that, from anyone, and tend to feel the need to ironically vent about that. The written rules of the board tend to track along the Type B traits. So those are the rules, but do you want to pull everybody who goes 53 in a 45 zone?

Add this to the long list of reasons I have no interest in being a mod on any type of board. Thank God for 'em.

There is no irony here. Pointing out that rules have been broken is within the rules, spewing unnecessary negativity is not. The rules are pretty clear in the distinction (which is the degree of negativity in the post).

If a person falls into the first category you have listed of needing to vent, the board's rules seem to pretty clearly state that they want that done someone else, not DBR. So perhaps those people - during games at least - should go to one of the many other available forums where such things are allowed. Then, when the heat of the moment is past, come back when they can follow the rules.

devildeac
03-04-2018, 03:14 PM
unsure. but to be explicit, I was venting about someone venting about people venting about venting. If you have a beef with that, feel free to vent :D

What if you don't eat beef? Sounds fishy to me but I don't want to run afoul of any decorum rules.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-04-2018, 03:22 PM

Well, certainly there is room for different personalities here. I think my consternation comes from steady push over the years to more and more pessimism and reactionary posting. I am in the "let's root hard and enjoy the ride" camp, and the negativity has pretty much worn me out on in game threads and chats. Even post-game can be rough if we only win by a few points. I very much dislike any posts that are personally critical of our players, and I am probably far more sensitive than most other posters.

I feel like maybe I am "aging out" of my time here on DBR, being of the old school, and that makes me sad. I have had some great times here and celebrated many championships. I hope to celebrate another next month.

But these are thoughts and decisions for the off-season, and I hope that is still several weeks away.

On this we can completely agree. They do difficult work.

Furniture
03-04-2018, 03:36 PM
Overall, I thought the chat last night was civil and I rather enjoyed it. I wasn't paying attention for much of the first 10 minutes or so. Who got booted and for what?

This person was offending several of us in chat and as far as I am concerned he has been for several weeks.
It was much better after hewhoshallnotbenamed was removed. To be fair he was warned by one of the mods a couple of times.

uh_no
03-04-2018, 03:45 PM
What if you don't eat beef? Sounds fishy to me but I don't want to run afoul of any decorum rules.

sorry, I don't eat fish.

Edit: I just realized that sailed way above my head.....and caught the fowl pun. I bow to you, pun master.

Dub
03-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Your in-game chat optimist is here. Anyone need some cheering up? On a serious note, there are a handful of in-game posters that constantly rag on the team soon as we’re down at any point. Sometimes it’s tolerable, other times it’s a bit obnoxious. There just needs to be an “Are you sure you want to submit this post before breathing” warning. All in all, we’re all Duke supporters (minus Wheat - btw where is the resident troll?) Just take it easy, breathe, and trust the good guys.

Henderson
03-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Sounds like it was quite a party in the ole Chat last night. I'm sorry I missed it. I feel as though my calming influence could have been helpful.

hallcity
03-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Before we leave the subject of last night's win over the Holes, I have a couple of very minor questions. When that minibasketball rolled onto the court, was it accidental or intentional? What happened to the party responsible?

WHOneedsSOX
03-04-2018, 04:13 PM
I guess Joel Berry doesn’t “enjoy” playing in this “high school gym” after all.

link (https://scout.com/college/north-carolina/Article/North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-Basketball-Joel-Berry-I-Played-Scared-As-Hell-115817671)

Two times this season that I can remember where the crazies chanted airball mercilessly at an opposing player every time he touched the ball and that player didn't make a single 3 after that. Maybe Berry made 1 after that? Can't remember but I do remember he missed a few.

uh_no
03-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Before we leave the subject of last night's win over the Holes, I have a couple of very minor questions. When that minibasketball rolled onto the court, was it accidental or intentional? What happened to the party responsible?

1) My understanding is that it was in fact a heels fan trying to get a technical on duke. I could not see directly from my vantage point, but that's what i was told by facilities from downstairs
2) don't know. I imagine if they knew as much as (1) the fan was, shall we say, unable to watch the rest of the game from inside cameron
3) As to what happened to the actual ball, it's sitting in my living room :) I'm soliciting opinions on what to do with it. Here's a picture of me holding it at bonfire

dragoneye776
03-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Two times this season that I can remember where the crazies chanted airball mercilessly at an opposing player every time he touched the ball and that player didn't make a single 3 after that. Maybe Berry made 1 after that? Can't remember but I do remember he missed a few.

Berry was 0-7 from 3. He also had two 3's blocked

weezie
03-04-2018, 05:21 PM
1) My understanding is that it was in fact a heels fan trying to get a technical on duke. I could not see directly from my vantage point, but that's what i was told by facilities from downstairs...

Well, every time I think I can't come up with any more disparaging thoughts about those hole morons, ample proof that I need to try harder appears.

camion
03-04-2018, 05:31 PM

I think the vents are getting clogged.

Vent lint. :eek:

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 07:33 PM

The other time that I can remember was against Wake Forest. The guy just lost all of his confidence.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-04-2018, 08:23 PM
First chance to comment, been a long week...

The Heels were within one half of basketball to lock up an ACC tournament 2 seed and sweeping Duke, pretty much exceeding everyone’s expectations this season, so I’m really not that disappointed in this seasons ACC outcome, except that the loss cost me a pie.(Shoot me a PM Troublemaker with details, the site, and the pie you want...)

The game was pretty much decided by too much Bagley and some sloppy passing by the Heels down the stretch.

Duke’s energy level was much greater that second half while UNC seemed to play timid for some reason last night. Maybe it was that some good shots didn’t fall, or that Duke hit some deep ones and they couldn’t guard Bagley, but I didn’t expect that loss of confidence from a veteran team. Hopefully they will look at the tape and not make that mistake again this post season.

Berry admitted to playing “scared” and I don’t think he realized how he was playing until after the game, but I noticed it when he didn’t attack the 3/4 press and just walked it up. I also thought he let the crazies get into his head after that air ball, not aggressively taking shots he normally would. Credit the crazies there for staying with that chant, well beyond just the next couple of possessions, like happens at most schools.

Roy has done a great job getting this team competitive with the top teams in the country while lacking real production inside from the bigs, mainly defensively. For those who claimed he can’t/won’t adjust over the years, I’d say you’ve been proven wrong.

I saw somewhere that UNC is still ranked something like 7th in Kempom and RPI after this loss...(too tired tonight to look it up). Nobody, is going to want to see this UNC team in the tournament.

On to the next one...

CDu
03-04-2018, 09:25 PM
A few notes about just how amazing that second half was:
- We shot 18-30 from the field (60%)
- We shot 8-15 from 3 (53.3%)
- We shot 5-6 from the line (83.3%)
- We scored 49, and held a top-5 offense to just 29.

After an okay but not great start to the half, we either scored or got fouled on 18 of our last 26 possessions before running out the clock intentionally on our last possession. That is amazing.

Despit shooting just 30% from the field in the first, our awesome second half meant we shot 45% from the field and 36% from 3.

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 09:30 PM
I saw somewhere that UNC is still ranked something like 7th in Kempom and RPI after this loss...(too tired tonight to look it up).

I'm not a KenPom guru, but losing to the #3 or #4 team on the road shouldn't hurt your numbers that much. I would expect the AP polls to put you around 13-15 after taking two losses this week.

Finishing 11-7 and tied for the third best conference record isn't too shabby for a team that just won the title and then lost a ton of experience plus a potential breakout sophomore. I've said this before but they really remind me of Duke's 2015-2016 team. Coming off a title, two star players but not a great supporting cast, had the potential to make a tournament run if they got the right matchups and shot well, but had some fundamental flaws that were ultimately too much to overcome.

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 09:31 PM
A few notes about just how amazing that second half was:

That second half was the very definition of "reverting to the mean."

jv001
03-04-2018, 09:34 PM
I'm not a KenPom guru, but losing to the #3 or #4 team on the road shouldn't hurt your numbers that much. I would expect the AP polls to put you around 13-15 after taking two losses this week.

Finishing 11-7 and tied for the third best conference record isn't too shabby for a team that just won the title and then lost a ton of experience plus a potential breakout sophomore. I've said this before but they really remind me of Duke's 2015-2016 team. Coming off a title, two star players but not a great supporting cast, had the potential to make a tournament run if they got the right matchups and shot well, but had some fundamental flaws that were ultimately too much to overcome.

The Cheats= Ken-pom- 7th and in T-Rank- 8th. GoDuke!

uh_no
03-04-2018, 09:37 PM

To be pedantic, KP doesn't really care whether a team won or lost. The game was i think projected at duke -8, and it it ended up near there, so the teams rankings will largely remain the same.

The biggest issue, however, is that the game had less defense than projected....something like 10 points/100. So each of duke and carolina's defenses should get a little bit better, and their offenses a bit worse. I don't have the #'s, but this was seen pretty clearly on the duke side, where our defense made another huge jump, and the offense went down, keeping the overall roughly the same.

OldPhiKap
03-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Meh.

No one wants to see Duke.

Time to shine.

ndkjr70
03-04-2018, 10:05 PM
Question for those more knowledgeable than I;

Where can I find some high quality photos of the game? Would love to set one as a desktop wallpaper for my coworker before he gets in tomorrow. :)

uh_no
03-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Where can I find some high quality photos of the game? Would love to set one as a desktop wallpaper for my coworker before he gets in tomorrow. :)

goduke.com always has photos

Emerrick
03-04-2018, 11:00 PM
From someone who knows him well, please forgive Emerrick - he hasn’t experienced as much Duke basketball as some of us. :)

Don’t make me come for a visit!

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 11:05 PM

The old dukeblueplanet website has been retired in favor of the DukeMBB account on all the social media platforms. However, this site is still maintained and has good photos of each game. They haven’t added the UNC game yet, but keep checking back.

link (https://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com)

Troublemaker
03-04-2018, 11:09 PM
(Shoot me a PM Troublemaker with details, the site, and the pie you want...)

Done. Thanks, Wheat, for being prompt with this.

tteettimes
03-04-2018, 11:20 PM
TM......what are going to do with that u g l y blue pie??
Please post pics 🤪🤪

mkirsh
03-04-2018, 11:36 PM

@DukeMBB on twitter has some good photos of the last Bagley dunk that would work well

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/970372155358760965

Furniture
03-05-2018, 12:15 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/970186506815049728/video/1

sothear
03-05-2018, 10:52 AM
The other time that I can remember was against Wake Forest. The guy just lost all of his confidence.

they destroyed poor Rex Pfleugar (however you spell it) from Notre Dame when he airballed one this season.

BandAlum83
03-05-2018, 11:49 AM

I love this team!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-05-2018, 11:53 AM
@DukeMBB on twitter has some good photos of the last Bagley dunk that would work well

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/970372155358760965

Bagley posterizing Maye... me likey.

Is that Zima?

DukieInBrasil
03-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Is that Zima?

Zima, the champagne of septic tank spunk.

Furniture
03-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Bagley posterizing Maye... me likey.

Is that Zima?

Whats Zima?

WHOneedsSOX
03-05-2018, 02:12 PM
they destroyed poor Rex Pfleugar (however you spell it) from Notre Dame when he airballed one this season.

Oh yeah, that was the guy! Never seen a shooter so afraid to shoot in a game before. I'm actually surprised he didn't start crying on the court he was getting it so bad.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-05-2018, 04:18 PM
Whats Zima?
For real?

It was a clear alcoholic beer alternative that Coors marketed a few decades ago. Basically, it was (and still is) the butt of many jokes.

CDu
03-05-2018, 04:21 PM
For real?

It was a clear alcoholic beer alternative that Coors marketed a few decades ago. Basically, it was (and still is) the butt of many jokes.

Basically, it was a precursor (by about a decade) to Smirnoff Ice and those beverages.

PackMan97
03-05-2018, 04:24 PM
For real?

Zima was a carbonated alcoholic drink for people who think beer tasts slightly worse than horse urine.

elvis14
03-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Zima was a carbonated alcoholic drink for people who think beer tasts slightly worse than horse urine.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, I'm just wondering how those people know what horse urine tastes like.

As for Zima....I think they might still make it. I tried 1 once, just once. Poured it out and bought myself a beer.