PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Allen: Legend

slower
03-03-2018, 07:10 AM
I don't care if he gets shut out tonight (which he won't), or if he trips Joel Berry before the opening tip (which, of course, he won't). Grayson is a flat-out legend, and my favorite Duke player of all time.

We'll always have memories of the 2015 title game, the UNLV dunk, the UVA game-winner and the Michigan State game. And, of course, all the gorgeous 3-pointers and fearless drives to the hoop and emphatic dunks. And yes, we'll also have memories of the tripping incidents, and the insane media witch hunt that followed. I've never seen a player persecuted like that. And we'll remember him as a soft-spoken Academic All-ACC, whose humility and grace showed in every interview.

We'll miss him dearly - well, most of us. Grayson, you were one of a kind. And we'll never forget you.

westwall
03-03-2018, 07:17 AM
I don't care if he gets shut out tonight (which he won't), or if he trips Joel Berry before the opening tip (which, of course, he won't). Grayson is a flat-out legend, and my favorite Duke player of all time.

We'll always have memories of the 2015 title game, the UNLV dunk and the Michigan State game. And, of course, all the gorgeous 3-pointers and fearless drives to the hoop and emphatic dunks. And yes, we'll also have memories of the tripping incidents, and the insane media witch hunt that followed. I've never seen a player persecuted like that. And we'll remember him as a soft-spoken Academic All-ACC, whose humility and grace showed in every interview.

We'll miss him dearly - well, most of us. Grayson, you were one of a kind. And we'll never forget you.

Amen !

uh_no
03-03-2018, 07:19 AM

We'll always have memories of the 2015 title game, the UNLV dunk and the Michigan State game. And, of course, all the gorgeous 3-pointers and fearless drives to the hoop and emphatic dunks. And yes, we'll also have memories of the tripping incidents, and the insane media witch hunt that followed. I've never seen a player persecuted like that. And we'll remember him as a soft-spoken Academic All-ACC, whose humility and grace showed in every interview.

In view of the sentiments of Jon and Quinn near the end of their senior seasons, I'm hoping his best moments haven't occurred yet.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 07:26 AM

Nice. My son and I, all during the 14-15 season, kept wanting more playing time for Grayson. We could see the flashes of brilliance, and as Jah Okafor said in at least on interview, Grayson "kills at practice" all the time. I was thrilled with his 27 versus Wake (I think it was 27) - and of course the FF was amazing....from following his own miss with the tomahawk dunk that ended any hopes of a Michigan State rally - to the amazing Wisconsin performance of course.

I told News Observer columnist Luke DeCock that Grayson was going to blow up his sophomore year, just like Lorenzo Charles did the year after his dunk won the Natty for NC State in 83. I think Charles went from 4 ppg to 18ppg the next year, and I just saw this analogy screaming at me. Back ground player blows up and wins the National Title for his team, and has break out season the next year.

DeCock was skeptical, but of course Grayson made my prediction look good with his amazing sophomore year, averaging over 20.

He is the most persecuted and scrutinized player of all time I think. It's the curse of being a good white player at Duke. I know as Duke fans we don't see color, but the rest of the nation seems to hate our high profile white guys...starting with Ferry I think, then to new levels with Laettner, then Parks and Redick and Wojo and Paulus and so on. Grayson of course added the tripping to that, so he got it worse even than Laettner.

Here's hoping Grayson does something in the NCAA T that insures he will torture all the Duke haters for all time - as Laettner did.

Senior Day bitter sweet....I still get sad when I think of the great sign: "Dennard and Banks - Goodbye and Thanks" Dittos to you Mr. Grayson Allen!

slower
03-03-2018, 07:30 AM
In view of the sentiments of Jon and Quinn near the end of their senior seasons, I'm hoping his best moments haven't occurred yet.

Man, I want another ring for Grayson SO badly. And if it happens, I will incinerate all my Tarhole, Duke-hating Facebook friends. :p

uh_no
03-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Man, I want another ring for Grayson SO badly. And if it happens, I will incinerate all my Tar Heel, Duke-hating Facebook friends. :p

I'll go over to the dump and trip every single one of 'em!

slower
03-03-2018, 07:44 AM
It's the curse of being a good white player at Duke.

And in case there's ANY doubt in anybody's mind, Alex is already on the hater radar.

uh_no
03-03-2018, 07:48 AM
And in case there's ANY doubt in anybody's mind, Alex is already on the hater radar.

IDK....Jack white will give him a run for the money, I think :)

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 07:50 AM

I almost said that in my post.....someone else said Jack White, but Jack will get a pass with his accent. He'll be considered Aussie, not "white" as in Laettner white.

Kjeffrey
03-03-2018, 07:52 AM

It's crazy how much some Dukies are hated by the college basketball world. And yet players like Ty Jerome and Donte DiVincenzo somehow escape. It just shows you that it is more about the name on the front of the jersey and less about the name on the back. I know Grayson has done some things (as did Laettner) to draw attention to himself. But how were players like Scheyer or Paulus any more annoying to fans than Jerome?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 07:57 AM
It's crazy how much some Dukies are hated by the college basketball world. And yet players like Ty Jerome and Donte DiVincenzo somehow escape. It just shows you that it is more about the name on the front of the jersey and less about the name on the back. I know Grayson has done some things (as did Laettner) to draw attention to himself. But how were players like Scheyer or Paulus any more annoying to fans than Jerome?

They were guilty of DWC - Duke While Caucasian.....and FTR, I can't stand Jerome.....

devilseven
03-03-2018, 07:57 AM
Thanks to Grayson Allen, a true scholar athlete, who sacrificed millions of dollars to return to Duke after his sensational sophomore year. We love you and all your contributions to Duke University, both athletic and academic. Good Luck in the NBA. Thanks Again

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-03-2018, 08:36 AM
Thanks to Grayson Allen, a true scholar athlete, who sacrificed millions of dollars to return to Duke after his sensational sophomore year. We love you and all your contributions to Duke University, both athletic and academic. Good Luck in the NBA. Thanks Again

His jersey should be retired.
Love, Ima

Clay Feet POF
03-03-2018, 08:41 AM

We'll always have memories of the 2015 title game, the UNLV dunk, the UVA game-winner and the Michigan State game. And, of course, all the gorgeous 3-pointers and fearless drives to the hoop and emphatic dunks. And yes, we'll also have memories of the tripping incidents, and the insane media witch hunt that followed. I've never seen a player persecuted like that. And we'll remember him as a soft-spoken Academic All-ACC, whose humility and grace showed in every interview.

Seconded.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2018, 08:55 AM
I wish we could discuss the merits and mistakes of Grayson without discussing his race, but here we are.

Grayson is human. He wears his heart on his sleeve. We have watched him mature and grow and learn. If you watch him closely this season, you can see moments where his face flashes, he is about to be overwhelmed, and he takes a breath. That is growth. That is evidence of great coaching, and even better coachability.

Barring a major change by the NBA/NCAA, we may never see a four year player like Allen again at Duke. In today's sports environment, he is a throwback in every way. He started his career at the top of a ladder, and I sincerely hope he ends it there as well.

Thank you, Grayson. Thank you for your talent, your perserverence, your competitive drive, and letting us watch you grow.

DUKIE V(A)
03-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Prediction:

Grayson's legend will grow tonight and even more in the ACC and NCAA tournaments. He has been amazingly loyal to Duke, and I have been impressed by his ability to hold it together despite all the (non-called) elbows to the face he has taken since the tripping incidents. A great student athlete worthy of consideration for jersey retirement. I think he gets it with a phenomenal final run that includes great team success.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 08:57 AM
I wish we could discuss the merits and mistakes of Grayson without discussing his race, but here we are.

Grayson is human. He wears his heart on his sleeve. We have watched him mature and grow and learn. If you watch him closely this season, you can see moments where his face flashes, he is about to be overwhelmed, and he takes a breath. That is growth. That is evidence of great coaching, and even better coachability.

Barring a major change by the NBA/NCAA, we may never see a four year player like Allen again at Duke. In today's sports environment, he is a throwback in every way. He started his career at the top of a ladder, and I sincerely hope he ends it there as well.

Thank you, Grayson. Thank you for your talent, your perserverence, your competitive drive, and letting us watch you grow.

That was so well said it deserved to be repeated......(BTW, is there an upvote function on this board? Lotta posts I'd like to upvote).

Newton_14
03-03-2018, 09:00 AM

I second westwall's Amen. We have met Grayson many times after games. He always patiently signs each autograph request, takes pic's, selfie's, and is very friendly in doing so. There has only been one occasion where he came out with security and he said he was sorry but he had dinner reservations with his parents and did not have time to sign. Trust me, a lot of the other guys come out with security, some with hoodies pulled over, and security states "They are not signing for anyone or taking pics", which is disappointing, but a story for another day and different thread.

It is killing me that we can't get in there tonight for his final home game. We are going over there anyway to soak in the atmosphere, watch it in the Duke store and hopefully celebrate outside after the game.

I have loved watching him play and I for sure am going to miss him next season.

Newton_14
03-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Great post. Tried to spork you but alas.....

Let's keep the thread about Grayson the player and his career folks, please. Thanks

elvis14
03-03-2018, 09:12 AM
My favorite thread in a long time. Tough to think about tonight being Grayson's last game at Cameron. It's always interesting to see how a player handles success and usually even more interesting to see how they handle adversity. Grayson's had plenty of both and he's made me proud in how he's handled himself the last 4 years.

Add me to the list of people hoping his best moments are ahead of him.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2018, 09:15 AM
My favorite thread in a long time. Tough to think about tonight being Grayson's last game at Cameron. It's always interesting to see how a player handles success and usually even more interesting to see how they handle adversity. Grayson's had plenty of both and he's made me proud in how he's handled himself the last 4 years.

Add me to the list of people hoping his best moments are ahead of him.

I have been as critical as anyone on here of Grayson with his outbursts. This makes me even more proud of his composure this season. Growth and maturity may be the biggest lessons any of us get from 18-22.

Stray Gator
03-03-2018, 09:33 AM
My wish for Grayson is that at the 2018 Duke Men's Basketball Annual Banquet, he wins his second One Shining Moment Award.

KenTankerous
03-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! WHOOOOAH!

We have weeks before we need to be posting about the Greatness that is/was Grayson.

But since y'all jumped the gun, let me chime in.

I'm a converted UK fan that saw the light and turned to the right side in 2010-ish. But watching Grayson has been so strangely analogous to my own life trajectory, it's eerie. I waited and learned. I soared. I soured. I failed. I persevered. I redeemed. I recovered. I'm now glowing. Grayson was never just a ball player to me. He was my Mister Rodgers in sweatpants. We can say it's just a game. It's corrupt in it's foundation, funding and use of young talent - all true. But there are positive take-aways, like mine, that will never go away.

Thank You Grayson Allen.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2018, 09:55 AM
My wish for Grayson is that at the 2018 Duke Men's Basketball Annual Banquet, he wins his second One Shining Moment Award.

I desperately want Duval to win this award. That will teach a lot of Duke fans a lesson.

slower
03-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! WHOOOOAH!

We have weeks before we need to be posting about the Greatness that is/was Grayson.

Buddy, we could post about it every day and it wouldn't be inappropriate. :D

KenTankerous
03-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Buddy, we could post about it every day and it wouldn't be inappropriate. :D

True dat

elvis14
03-03-2018, 10:18 AM
I desperately want Duval to win this award. That will teach a lot of Duke fans a lesson.

I'll feel the same way, if Duval wins his second championship his senior year like we hope Grayson will. In the mean time, I'll celebrate our senior leader....in the thread started for him.

BluDvlsN1
03-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Great Thread with many outstanding comments. This is what makes DBR special.

For me, Grayson epitomizes what a student/athlete is all about, and particularly at Duke.

I couldn't be happier nor prouder of Grayson's senior year, he has led both vocally and by example,
he has made his personal objectives secondary to the teams needs. He has shown time and again this
season pure exhilaration for a teammates success.

How he has projected himself in all situations has shown his personal growth and evidenced once again
how great a Coach and mentor K really is.

Looking forward to Grayson's last game at CIS,the ACC Tournament and the Big Dance.

I know the below link may be old news to most, but in the rare event some may have missed it, it's a great read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/grayson-allen-duke-basketball/

DukieInKansas
03-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Thank you, Grayson Allen.

I hope there is a wonderful victory celebration tonight but I hope it isn't the last one. The last one should be Grayson Allen walking into Cameron with the National Championship Trophy on April 3rd!

gam7
03-03-2018, 11:15 AM

Dilly dilly!

4Gen
03-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Grayson is a kind soul with the heart of a warrior. I will miss him next year, and I thank him for his commitment to the Duke Blue Devils.

Furniture
03-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Going to miss him at Duke but hope to follow him in the NBA where he should get the millions he deserves.

jv001
03-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Thank you Grayson for your hard work, dedication to Duke and your heart. I hope you end your games at Cameron with a game for the ages. You have truly been a blessing to me. God bless you.

GoDuke!

lmb
03-03-2018, 02:03 PM
I'll just copy my post from another thread:

I've already warned my husband and son that I'm going to cry like a baby when he heads to center court to receive the thanks of the Crazies. His journey has been one wild ride. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows. I know he brought the scrutiny on himself, but I doubt many people would have been able to handle the constant boos and cheap shots that came his way on a regular basis. That he's managed to pretty much keep his cool in the last year and few months is impressive to me. Heart of a warrior. I love Grayson Allen!

slower
03-03-2018, 02:11 PM
I'll just copy my post from another thread:

I've already warned my husband and son that I'm going to cry like a baby when he heads to center court to receive the thanks of the Crazies. His journey has been one wild ride. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows. I know he brought the scrutiny on himself, but I doubt many people would have been able to handle the constant boos and cheap shots that came his way on a regular basis. That he's managed to pretty much keep his cool in the last year and few months is impressive to me. Heart of a warrior. I love Grayson Allen!
You're right - most of us wouldn't have been able to weather the storm he's had to endure. It's been a travesty that he was abused like that. As I said, he's a legend.

slower
03-04-2018, 08:29 AM
I might just have to buy one of these:

wavedukefan70s
03-04-2018, 08:58 AM
It sincerely bothers me Grayson is gone after our last game this year.i mean I know the kids graduate and such.but I'm worried we are close to the end of a era.how many more players are we going to have that have that kind of impact on the college basketball landscape for 4 years.hes had more press good or bad than some presidents.some good ,some bad moments.but Allen is Duke basketball. he never quit,gave up.he stayed in the fight.i will miss him in a Duke uniform.

weezie
03-04-2018, 10:08 AM
His jersey should be retired.
Love, Ima

I think it'll go up next season.

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 10:10 AM
It sincerely bothers me Grayson is gone after our last game this year.i mean I know the kids graduate and such.but I'm worried we are close to the end of a era.how many more players are we going to have that have that kind of impact on the college basketball landscape for 4 years.hes had more press good or bad than some presidents.some good ,some bad moments.but Allen is Duke basketball. he never quit,gave up.he stayed in the fight.i will miss him in a Duke uniform.

On the College landscape- probably a lot- on the Duke landscape - time will tell. Kyle Guy is looking to be that kind of player for UVA.

BluDvlsN1
03-04-2018, 10:24 AM
So it is said, So it is done, So It IS.

JNort
03-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Grayson definetly won't be the last. Some were saying this a few years ago and then Grayson came through.

Devilwin
03-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Hopefully, the Grayson Allen saga is not over yet. Would love to see the kid add another ACC Tournament title and National Title to his resume.

I remember reading somewhere when he came in as part of that heralded freshman class, how he was so overshadowed by his team mates, almost like an afterthought.
But he provided a spark in the Final Four games, and as much as anyone was a big part of the reason we won the title.
He has the heart of a tiger, never backs down, and I think that why I admire him. Sure, sometimes he isn't on top of his game. But that happens to everyone that plays basketball...
But no one can ever say that Grayson Allen didn't give his best, and be truthful about it...

DarkstarWahoo
03-04-2018, 06:00 PM

You may be surprised to learn that Ty Jerome is biracial. He doesn’t look it, so it doesn’t explain any perceived or actual lack of white-guy hate from opposing fans, but it’s true. In any event, Kyle Guy is probably a better example. And speaking of UVA players and ethnicity, I still couldn’t tell you what race London Perrantes is.

For the record, I never had any problem with Scheyer, perhaps because of the Scheyer Face. And I can’t stand DiVicenzo, but my allegiances probably have something to do with that.