PDA

View Full Version : Jalek Felton leaving Chapel Hill

jimsumner
03-01-2018, 04:34 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article202919699.html

Truth&Justise
03-01-2018, 04:39 PM
The article avoids mentioning the reason for the suspension in the first place. It's also unclear whether he was kicked out or if he chose to leave.

I'm curious what happened. But you're right about the one clear thing: he won't play for the Tar Heels any more.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2018, 04:39 PM
In a statement to Chapelboro.com, Sutton said Felton’s basketball career was not done.
"There is nothing we’ve heard that justifies UNC’s actions against Jalek Felton,” Sutton said in her statement. “He had faith in UNC’s future when no other five star recruit did. UNC has turned its back on him. I spoke with Roy Williams today and he obviously feels the pain of Jalek’s crushed dream to play at UNC. Jalek will land on his feet, but our battle here is far from over."

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article202915834.html#storylink=cpy

It sounds like he knew that he wouldn't be playing in a light blue jersey again.

rsvman
03-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article202915834.html#storylink=cpy

It sounds like he knew that he wouldn't be playing in a light blue jersey again.

I just don't get how that's a negative thing!

Rich
03-01-2018, 05:09 PM
I heard he was going to classes, which set the bar too high for the others, so he had to be dismissed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-01-2018, 05:10 PM

But... What's the downside?

UNCfan
03-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Really disappointed he was not able to contribute in his UNC career. Heard so many great things about him in the early practices, but he only showed a glimpse of that promise, here and there. Wish him well.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Despite Felton's decision to withdraw, sources tell WRAL News an investigation of Felton by UNC police is still active. Sutton wouldn't go into the specifics of what led to the investigation.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/suspended-freshman-guard-jalek-felton-withdraws-from-unc/17384567/

SilkyJ
03-01-2018, 08:06 PM
I believe what's missing from this thread is an "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SEEEEEYAAAAA!!!!" :cool:

OldPhiKap
03-01-2018, 08:07 PM
I believe what's missing from this thread is an "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SEEEEEYAAAAA!!!!" :cool:

SilkyJ wins the Internet until game time.

elvis14
03-01-2018, 09:45 PM
After years of whining about not getting high level recruits (and holding the ones they had back) because their cheating ways were exposed, UNCheat finally landed a top level recruit (thanks to his family tie). Now recruits can see the kind of future they'll have when deciding to join a program like OJU. Nassir Little, hope you're paying attention, you should get out now before your career turns to shiznit.

UrinalCake
03-01-2018, 11:00 PM
ESPN has an article too. His lawyer claims he chose to withdraw from the school back in January, immediately after he was suspended from the university. Says the other schools are intereste in him. Does not say why he was suspended.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22617861/jalek-felton-north-carolina-tar-heels-withdraws-amid-suspension

OZ
03-02-2018, 12:27 AM
I really don't follow unc that closely; but, is Felton, Roy's first "one and done?"

juise
03-02-2018, 12:46 AM
I really don't follow unc that closely; but, is Felton, Roy's first "one and done?"

Wear twins were 2x1 and done.

CDu
03-02-2018, 07:45 AM

Not to rain on the joke, but Brandan Wright and Tony Bradley were both actual one-and-dones.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 08:17 AM
SilkyJ wins the Internet until game time.

Maybe the students will chant "WE WANT JA-LEK" at some point...

Matches
03-02-2018, 08:23 AM
Not to rain on the joke, but Brandan Wright and Tony Bradley were both actual one-and-dones.

Marvin Williams too.

UNC seems to be playing fine without Felton this year, but his departure may hurt them in subsequent years.

left_hook_lacey
03-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Marvin Williams too.

UNC seems to be playing fine without Felton this year, but his departure may hurt them in subsequent years.

This. They actually seemed to have better chemistry after he was suspended. But I think it'll hurt their chances next year if the incoming freshman don't click at PG early on. (Wrings hands)

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2018, 08:37 AM
ESPN has an article too. His lawyer claims he chose to withdraw from the school back in January, immediately after he was suspended from the university. Says the other schools are intereste in him. Does not say why he was suspended.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22617861/jalek-felton-north-carolina-tar-heels-withdraws-amid-suspension

I have no doubt that other schools are interested, but seeing as how "an investigation of Felton by UNC police is still active", I will be surprised if he gets an offer before that case, whatever it may be, is resolved.

Edit, but then again, CBB is full of people who care about nothing other than winning, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised when it happens.

devilseven
03-02-2018, 09:13 AM
This. They actually seemed to have better chemistry after he was suspended. But I think it'll hurt their chances next year if the incoming freshman don't click at PG early on. (Wrings hands)

Not to worry. Ol roy will just steal a point guard from some team as per Pittsburgh's Cam Johnson.

UrinalCake
03-02-2018, 09:23 AM
I have no doubt that other schools are interested, but seeing as how "an investigation of Felton by UNC police is still active", I will be surprised if he gets an offer before that case, whatever it may be, is resolved.

I don’t trust anything his lawyer says. She’s made a career of defending people accused of sexual assault, which already makes me not like her (perhaps unfairly). But everything she has spewed regarding Felton sounds like BS. Immediately after the suspension she claimed he was an “exemplary young man” and a “fine student” and stuff like that. Has maintained that he did nothing and is being mistreated by the school when he just wanted to follow his dream. Whatever.

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2018, 10:04 AM
I don’t trust anything his lawyer says. She’s made a career of defending people accused of sexual assault, which already makes me not like her (perhaps unfairly). But everything she has spewed regarding Felton sounds like BS. Immediately after the suspension she claimed he was an “exemplary young man” and a “fine student” and stuff like that. Has maintained that he did nothing and is being mistreated by the school when he just wanted to follow his dream. Whatever.

You realize she defended a Duke lacrosse player, right?

devildeac
03-02-2018, 10:24 AM

Funny observation.

Maybe a 0.5 and done would be more appropriate. :rolleyes:

(Tony Bradley maybe?)

left_hook_lacey
03-02-2018, 10:24 AM
This has been just a weird situation. I wonder if the details of what really happened will ever come out. Just, strange.

killerleft
03-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanks to you, Judge, Jury, and Executioner!:rolleyes: Wait, is this Nancy Grace?

DarkstarWahoo
03-02-2018, 12:10 PM
His name always reminded me of A Tribe Called Quest. “Jalek, Jalek, ya wind up hip.”

BD80
03-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Thanks to you, Judge, Jury, and Executioner!:rolleyes: Wait, is this Nancy Grace?

Wow! It has been a while since I read the DBR code of conduct, but this has GOT to be on the order of the most heinous infraction imaginable. Should be multiple infractions.

That is hate speech.

In Texas it is grounds for justifiable homicide.

In New York it is grounds for an intervention.

What's next, accusing him of having a diploma from unc? (forgive the hyperbole)

OldPhiKap
03-02-2018, 02:49 PM
My favorite thing about Jalek Felton is that he is an ex-Tar Heel.

Actually, the only thing I like about Jalek Felton is that he is an ex-Tar Heel.

Now, he needs to go all McCants on Roy and start spilling the hate beans in public.

PackMan97
03-02-2018, 03:00 PM
I don’t trust anything his lawyer says.

I trust her when she says that Carolina hung him out to dry and cut him off. The rest of the stuff is typical lawyer speak.

Carolina has clearly shown you are either with them, or you aren't.

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2018, 03:39 PM
I trust her when she says that Carolina hung him out to dry and cut him off. The rest of the stuff is typical lawyer speak.

Carolina has clearly shown you are either with them, or you aren't.

If it is a criminal matter (and since there are police investigating, I'd assume it is), then I don't look at that as Carolina hanging him out to dry; I see it as them doing the smart and right thing. (Rare of an occasion as that is.) I do wonder had it been in Roy's hands and not that of administrators whether we would have seen the same results. Roy has shown that he is more than willing to look the other way when his players make bad and illegal decisions.

killerleft
03-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Wow! It has been a while since I read the DBR code of conduct, but this has GOT to be on the order of the most heinous infraction imaginable. Should be multiple infractions.

That is hate speech.

In Texas it is grounds for justifiable homicide.

In New York it is grounds for an intervention.

What's next, accusing him of having a diploma from unc? (forgive the hyperbole)

You're right, I guess. Having a blowhard for a lawyer isn't a crime, though. It's also true, I think, that we don't even know what Felton is accused of doing yet.

lotusland
03-02-2018, 08:40 PM

Who knows maybe Jakek’s 1 and done year will turn out to be contagious UNC.

UrinalCake
03-02-2018, 10:07 PM
You realize she defended a Duke lacrosse player, right?

If a Duke player was suspended by the school, and hired an attorney with a history of representing people accused of sexual assault, and the attorney came out and made a bunch of fluffy-sounding statements like he's a fine young man, I would treat those comments with a degree of skepticism as well. Not saying Felton is definitely guilty, as nobody knows anything and we should all reserve judgment until the truth comes out. But I'm also going to take the lawyer's statements with many grains of salt.

MarkD83
03-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Not to worry. Ol roy will just steal a point guard from some team as per Pittsburgh's Cam Johnson.

Wouldn't it be great if Jalek transferred to some place like Clemson and then was on the first Clemson team to win in chapel hill.

killerleft
03-02-2018, 10:52 PM
We shouldn't get hung up on the lawyer's statement. Felton's lawyer can say anything or nothing. Doesn't change the fact he hasn't been charged. How long has the investigation been going on, anyway? More than two months?

-jk
03-02-2018, 11:13 PM
Charged? Is it civil or criminal? Lawyers can do both...

Time will tell.

-jk

arnie
03-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Charged? Is it civil or criminal? Lawyers can do both...

Time will tell.

-jk

Post #32 is insightful.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2018, 10:06 AM
If a Duke player was suspended by the school, and hired an attorney with a history of representing people accused of sexual assault, and the attorney came out and made a bunch of fluffy-sounding statements like he's a fine young man, I would treat those comments with a degree of skepticism as well. Not saying Felton is definitely guilty, as nobody knows anything and we should all reserve judgment until the truth comes out. But I'm also going to take the lawyer's statements with many grains of salt.

A few of the Duke lacrosse players were suspended. They hired lawyers with history of representing players accused of sexual assault. And the attorneys came out praising their clients.

And look how that turned out.

If Duke lacrosse taught us anything, it’s guilty until proven innocent is a wrong approach to judging the potential accused.

Don’t know what happened to Jalek (and don’t care), but I’m giving this kid the benefit of the doubt until we know more.

sagegrouse
03-03-2018, 10:20 AM
A few of the Duke lacrosse players were suspended. They hired lawyers with history of representing players accused of sexual assault. And the attorneys came out praising their clients.

And look how that turned out.

If Duke lacrosse taught us anything, it’s guilty until proven innocent is a wrong approach to judging the potential accused.

Don’t know what happened to Jalek (and don’t care), but I’m giving this kid the benefit of the doubt until we know more.

Let's see.... Criminal defense attorney has clients who are found guilty? Therefore, nothing she or he says should be believed? What is the logic string that produces that result?

wobatus
03-03-2018, 11:29 AM

Losing Berry and Pinson hurts. Pinson was essentially point-forward this year.

Rumor is Ashton Hagans may reclassify after de-committing from Georgia. He's a 6'4" point guard currently number 8 in 2019 class. The last 3 crystal ball predictions since Felton left on 247 all say UNC. A lot of guards but no true point so if he is as advertised he should get playing time. Young guards, though. They usually take time. Berry and Paige weren't world-beaters from day 1. Tyus Jones, or even Tyler Ennis, that's rare at this level.

Oh, and Felton and Berry didn't seem to get along. Not just the handshake thing. Felton would like Twitter stuff ragging on Berry or the coaching. Whatever his issues were (and the rumors on that aren't pretty), it seemed to effect his play.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Losing Berry and Pinson hurts. Pinson was essentially point-forward this year.

Rumor is Ashton Hagans may reclassify after de-committing from Georgia. He's a 6'4" point guard currently number 8 in 2019 class. The last 3 crystal ball predictions since Felton left on 247 all say UNC. A lot of guards but no true point so if he is as advertised he should get playing time. Young guards, though. They usually take time. Berry and Paige weren't world-beaters from day 1. Tyus Jones, or even Tyler Ennis, that's rare at this level.

Oh, and Felton and Berry didn't seem to get along. Not just the handshake thing. Felton would like Twitter stuff ragging on Berry or the coaching. Whatever his issues were (and the rumors on that aren't pretty), it seemed to effect his play.

My UGA friends are really bummed about Hagans, that would be a great get for the Heels.