PDA

View Full Version : Duke license plates - WSJ article featuring Kenny D

dukefriar
03-01-2018, 01:48 PM
The Wall Street Journal has an article up today about license plates with "GTHCGTH". It features none other than Kenny Dennard who holds the plate in Texas. Several other states featured including NC, WI, ND.
Worth a read if you have a subscription.
Some creative explanations about what the abbreviation means...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gthcgth-the-license-plate-that-has-basketball-fans-lying-to-the-dmv-1519921503

BigWayne
03-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Great one. Hopefully not too many DMV staffers see it.

thedukelamere
03-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Indiana only allows 6 characters, so if they catch me and deny my GTHC9F I might just have to go with 9F...

nmduke2001
03-01-2018, 04:15 PM
I considered BLUE666 (I have a blue car as well). I'm not too superstitious but I didn't really feel too great about the 666 part.

The license plate on the picture near my profile name is a real NM license plate but it is not registered to me. My brother had a friend at the DMV that made it for me but obviously I can't use it on my car. My kids bedroom has license plates framed from all the states in which me or my wife have lived. The Duke one was a nice addition.

duke74
03-01-2018, 07:05 PM
I considered BLUE666 (I have a blue car as well). I'm not too superstitious but I didn't really feel too great about the 666 part.

The license plate on the picture near my profile name is a real NM license plate but it is not registered to me. My brother had a friend at the DMV that made it for me but obviously I can't use it on my car. My kids bedroom has license plates framed from all the states in which me or my wife have lived. The Duke one was a nice addition.

Mine

wandalee
03-01-2018, 08:39 PM
My hubby was interviewed for the article, too, about my NC plate. We don't have a subscription, so will be buying the paper tomorrow.

-jk
03-01-2018, 08:47 PM
My hubby was interviewed for the article, too, about my NC plate. We don't have a subscription, so will be buying the paper tomorrow.

Paste the link into google, search, and you'll likely get a full article.

-jk

anon
03-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Aha! When I moved to California in 2011, I had to settle for "G2HCG2H". (I don't remember inventing any creative lies to the DMV though!) Now I know who had the real one!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 03:58 PM
I do not have a scrip to the WSJ......but I hit the link to read the first two paragraphs (what is normally outside the paywall) and it allowed me to access the entire article.
Thanks for posting BTW.

One of the saddest signs:
"DENNARD AND BANKS: GOODBYE AND THANKS"
Senior day 1981