PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel 2018

JasonEvans
03-01-2018, 01:31 PM
To add to the list JD published (https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2018/2/28/17065828/coaching-carousel-its-going-to-be-surreal-this-year-acc-basketball) on the main page article--

Mark Fox is done at Georgia. While not a program with much of a basketball history (Dominque Wilkens is about the only UGA player to have a lasting impact on the basketball world), this is a big time athletic program and a team in the SEC that is the dominant recruiter in one of the best high school basketball areas in the country (Atlanta routinely produces 5+ top 100 basketball recruits per year). If Georgia gets someone who can recruit, they could be a significant program very quickly.

Kevin Ollie is close to gone from UConn. They are barely relevant and the recruiting has dried up.

Richard Pitino is probably in some hot water at Minnesota. They are increasingly a lower-tier Big Ten team and his name, once a strong point, is now a negative. Plus, there was some scandal involving a player who was accused of sexual assault and it looks like Pitino tried to ignore the whole thing. That's a problem in the current climate.

I wonder if Greg Gard might be in some trouble at Wisconsin. This season has been a disaster and though last year started out strong, they sputtered down the stretch.

Lastly, I'm surprised DBR did not mention Stallings at Pitt. It really feels like they want to move on from him. This year has been a truly unforgivable disaster.

-Jason "I agree that Brownell may get some interesting offers from the bigger openings that happen... and I wonder if Bobby Hurley might also be on some team's most-wanted lists" Evans

PackMan97
03-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Lastly, I'm surprised DBR did not mention Stallings at Pitt. It really feels like they want to move on from him. This year has been a truly unforgivable disaster.

I'm not sure why Stallings was hired in the first place. Normally, I'd saying switching coaches will set your program back...but is that even possible with Pitt?

Of course Carolina did Pitt no favors by taking Cam Johnson. {tinfoilhat}Of course, given that Stallings was a form Roy Williams assistant, whose to say how that went down. Carolina clearly needed him more than Pitt{/tinfoilhat}

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2018/02/27/kevin-stallings-hot-seat-pitt-basketball-coaching-search-heather-lyke-athletic-director/stories/201802270094

Pitt athletic director Heather Lyke said no decision has been made on the future of men’s basketball coach Kevin Stallings and that such a decision will not be made until after next week’s ACC tournament.

On a radio show Tuesday morning on 93.7 The Fan, Lyke said a “full, comprehensive” review of the program is ongoing, with just one regular-season game remaining, a matchup Wednesday night at Notre Dame.

“We’re in the midst of continuing to evaluate,” Lyke said.

“There are so many aspects to evaluating a coach,” Lyke added later in the interview. “It’s not just about performance on the court. There are many other elements to it. We continue to evaluate that and I’ll make that decision shortly.”

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Just an FYI, there are a few other coaching positions talked about in this thread that was already started.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40858-2018-MBB-Coaching-Carousel&highlight=carousel

tbyers11
03-01-2018, 02:42 PM
I wonder if Greg Gard might be in some trouble at Wisconsin. This season has been a disaster and though last year started out strong, they sputtered down the stretch.

Gard is not in any trouble. This was going to be a down cycle year for Wisconsin anyway. Happ is very good but everyone else projected to be impact players were Fr/So. Most pre-season polls had them around 7th in the Big Ten. NCAA bid would have been a good year.

Then they lost 2 of their top 3 backcourt players (Trice and King) to season ending injuries the first week of December.

Gard gets a mulligan this year.