PDA

View Full Version : MBB: uNC at Duke (3/3 8:15 pm ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

FerryFor50
03-01-2018, 10:12 AM
How on earth was this thread not started the day after the VT game?

Anyway, big day on Saturday!

A win guarantees Duke gets a double bye. A loss means that Duke can potentially lose its double bye. So, let's win.

Both uNC and Duke are coming off of last second losses, but we can all agree that uNC's loss was much more painful, as it was:

- at home
- on Senior Night
- against a Miami team missing its best player
- featured a 60% FT shooter with ice in his veins, knocking down all 4 of his 1-1 opportunities
- featured a game tying three by their senior captain, followed by a buzzer beating dagger half court 3 by Miami for the win

What does that mean for the game on Saturday? Nothing really. I just like gloating about uNC losing.

Keys to Saturday's game:

- Can the zone contain uNC's three point shooters?
- Will Kenny Williams go off again?
- Can Duke break out of their shooting slump?
- Can Duke beat uNC on the boards this time?

I guess we'll find out!

gocanes0506
03-01-2018, 10:24 AM
As long as AOC, Allen, and GT Jr hit a respectable % of outside shots
We don’t go cold for 6+ minutes
and
We don’t turn the ball over

It should be a 10+ point win.

PackMan97
03-01-2018, 10:44 AM
How on earth was this thread not started the day after the VT game?

Maybe because they aren't our rival?

Their rivals are SMU, Baylor, Louisville, Penn State and other programs that feel the need to win so badly they will do anything to win regardless of the ethics or legality of their actions.

Truth&Justise
03-01-2018, 10:56 AM
A win guarantees Duke gets a double bye. A loss means that Duke can potentially lose its double bye. So, let's win.

Let's just win. Let the chips fall where they may.

LET'S GO DUKE!

jv001
03-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Maybe because they aren't our rival?

Their rivals are SMU, Baylor, Louisville, Penn State and other programs that feel the need to win so badly they will do anything to win regardless of the ethics or legality of their actions.

I must spread sporks. Not our rivals any longer. Cheating since the lat 80s.

The game:
Hold the 3 pointers to a low number: Berry-46%, Williams-41%, Berry-37% and Johnson-36%. This uncheat team is more like former Duke teams than our own.
Keep them off the offensive boards. We must block out.
Limit fast beak points.
Hold our turnovers down. That helps with the fast break points.
Play smart and don't let the shot clock run down and have to force shots. That helps with the fast break points.
Please no 5-10 minute stretches of not scoring.
Make the FTs.

Do all this and we may have a 82-50 win.

GoDuke!

ndkjr70
03-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Completely not worried.

I would say for the first time in my life as a Duke fan, I'm going into this game 100% expecting a win. We're a better team. We've got better scorers. We've got Grayson's senior night. We're not going to get swept by UNC. There's no way that this Duke team loses to UNC.

jv001
03-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Completely not worried.

I would say for the first time in my life as a Duke fan, I'm going into this game 100% expecting a win. We're a better team. We've got better scorers. We've got Grayson's senior night. We're not going to get swept by UNC. There's no way that this Duke team loses to UNC.

Win if we have to cheat, oh, that's the other team. :cool: 9F GoDuke!

DaleDuke7
03-01-2018, 11:23 AM
I feel like the key point in this game is going to be rebounding. UNC is a very good rebounding team, and we gave up 20 offensive boards to them last time. I think if we can keep them in the 10-12 range on the offensive boards, we’ll win. If we give up more than that, I think UNC will have a great chance to win. Of course, rebounding isn’t the only thing that matters, but I feel like it’s a key point.

75-71 Duke

uh_no
03-01-2018, 11:27 AM
I feel like the key point in this game is going to be rebounding. UNC is a very good rebounding team, and we gave up 20 offensive boards to them last time. I think if we can keep them in the 10-12 range on the offensive boards, we’ll win. If we give up more than that, I think UNC will have a great chance to win. Of course, rebounding isn’t the only thing that matters, but I feel like it’s a key point.

75-71 Duke

rebounding and turnovers. that's what cost us in a game we should have won.

left_hook_lacey
03-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Anybody seen an early line yet?

Kedsy
03-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Last game against UNC, our defensive rebounding percentage was 57.4% and our defensive turnover percentage was 3.1%, and still we lost by only four points.

In our last five games:

DUKE DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING PERCENTAGE
Va Tech (1): 89.3%
Clemson: 70.7%
Louisville: 76.2%
Syracuse: 78.4%
Va Tech (2): 82.8%

DUKE DEFENSIVE TURNOVER PERCENTAGE
Va Tech (1): 17.3%
Clemson: 19.2%
Louisville: 20.7%
Syracuse: 26.2%
Va Tech (2): 18.2%

So there's reason for optimism.

tbyers11
03-01-2018, 01:05 PM

KenPom and Sagarin both have Duke by 7. I'd guess the opening line will be 7.5 or 8

rsvman
03-01-2018, 01:16 PM
If Trent and Allen continue missing open threes, it will be a long night. Otherwise, I think we win without too much trouble.

Remember, the last time we played them we were in our m2m defense. Last time UNC played against a decent 2-3 zone was at Syracuse, and the game was winnable for the home team but for some untimely mistakes down the stretch.

I think our 2-3 zone is better than Syracuse's, so I think we are in good shape. Need to keep an eye on Williams and Berry outside. Need to cut down on turnovers. Need to always be aware of the fast break, even off made shots.

UrinalCake
03-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Our full-court zone press has been good at creating turnovers and slowing down the other team’s offense. I don’t expect them to turn it over a ton, but it will put more pressure on their offense than the m2m we played last time against them. Also, our zone is actually better at defending the three than our m2m, since we don’t give up the drive-and-kick as easily, however we have gaping holes in the corners especially on whichever side Bagley is guarding. So that’s something to look for.

Also Pinson did a great job fronting Bagley and preventing him from catching the ball. VT showed the formula for clogging the lane by helping off our guards. Can we adjust?

Duke79UNLV77
03-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Is this the greatest disparity in NBA talent in our favor in the history of the rivalry? Does unc even have an NBA player? Berry is a great college guard and clutch, but he's small, not amazingly quick, has surprisingly low assist numbers, and plays at a position where the NBA is loaded with talent. Maye may have a Ryan Kelly-esque career trajectory.

Conversely, is this the greatest experience disparity in unc's favor in the history of the rivalry?

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Is this the greatest disparity in NBA talent in our favor in the history of the rivalry? Does unc even have an NBA player? Berry is a great college guard and clutch, but he's small, not amazingly quick, has surprisingly low assist numbers, and plays at a position where the NBA is loaded with talent. Maye may have a Ryan Kelly-esque career trajectory.

Conversely, is this the greatest experience disparity in unc's favor in the history of the rivalry?

I hate to say it, but UNC as a whole is clearly greater than the sum of the parts. To me, this team has played some excellent basketball in the ACC despite their lack of NBA talent.

Also, I love players like Maye (his development from freshman to junior years is incredible) and Pinson (the ultimate glue guy but does everything but score at a high rate. A rich man's Tyler Thornton). Berry is a just a damn solid basketball player.

I don't like UNC, but I have a hard time disliking a lot of their year's players (I mean, is there a Nate Britt-equivalent on this team?).

devildeac
03-01-2018, 02:42 PM
I hate to say it, but UNC as a whole is clearly greater than the sum of the parts. To me, this team has played some excellent basketball in the ACC despite their lack of NBA talent.

Also, I love players like Maye (his development from freshman to junior years is incredible) and Pinson (the ultimate glue guy but does everything but score at a high rate. A rich man's Tyler Thornton). Berry is a just a damn solid basketball player.

I don't like UNC, but I have a hard time disliking a lot of their year's players (I mean, is there a Nate Britt-equivalent on this team?).

Team/program "hatred" > individual parts? ;)

Hancock 4 Duke
03-01-2018, 02:47 PM
As long as AOC, Allen, and GT Jr hit a respectable % of outside shots
We don’t go cold for 6+ minutes
and
We don’t turn the ball over

It should be a 10+ point win.

I personally believe we need all three of those guys in at the same time, along with Javin and Wendell/Carter down low to maximize our offensive potential without conceding too much on defense.

TruBlu
03-01-2018, 02:53 PM

unc starts:
2 - 3 year players*
2 - 4 year players*
1 - 5 year player*

* Cannot classify them as Juniors, Seniors, and Graduates. Who knows when/if they started going to classes.

MrPoon
03-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Probably worth mentioning that Bagley got hurt in the UNC game and we lost the rebounding battle later in the game. I like our chances with a fully healthy Bagley for a full game. Someone here more aware probably knows the play it happened and when, regardless UNC pulled away in the second half when the rebound margin switched to UNC.

English
03-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Probably worth mentioning that Bagley got hurt in the UNC game and we lost the rebounding battle later in the game. I like our chances with a fully healthy Bagley for a full game. Someone here more aware probably knows the play it happened and when, regardless UNC pulled away in the second half when the rebound margin switched to UNC.

This is true--although, to be fair, the game flow followed a similar trajectory as our other losses (and several of our close wins): Duke gets a double-digit lead, Duke loses the double-digit lead, the game gets tight down the stretch. Duke loses (or wins) based on a couple of bounces, fouls, free throws, turnovers, etc.

I like our chances for most of the reasons already mentioned. Our defense has improved markedly from the last matchup, which was on the road in a very hostile arena. If our rebounding, outside shooting, turnover defense, or one of another couple of factors improves or regresses to mean, we're in great shape. The CIS atmosphere is bound to give the guys a boost early, and potentially keep the energy level high throughout. I'm optimistic.

Troublemaker
03-01-2018, 04:06 PM
If Trent and Allen continue missing open threes, it will be a long night. Otherwise, I think we win without too much trouble.

Remember, the last time we played them we were in our m2m defense. Last time UNC played against a decent 2-3 zone was at Syracuse, and the game was winnable for the home team but for some untimely mistakes down the stretch.

I think our 2-3 zone is better than Syracuse's, so I think we are in good shape. Need to keep an eye on Williams and Berry outside. Need to cut down on turnovers. Need to always be aware of the fast break, even off made shots.

UNC shredded the Cuse zone, though. I don't know if you watched the game, but Cuse got down a lot and then used an aggressive press to get back into the game. The zone wasn't the factor for keeping the game close. I've been impressed with UNC's zone offense over the years.

That said, it does benefit Coach K to have what UNC did to Cuse on film. Maybe he can tweak something to our zone and make it more effective than what Cuse did.

trinity92
03-01-2018, 04:14 PM

OK I really tried to insert a .gif of Joel Berry dancing that I had hoped would stoke your hatred but I find myself completely unable to do so. When I preview the post, it always seems like I've attached a regular.jpg. Trust me, in motion, this thing will make you want to climb the summit of Mt. Hatemore. Is there a trick I am not getting?

dukelifer
03-01-2018, 04:28 PM
UNC shredded the Cuse zone, though. I don't know if you watched the game, but Cuse got down a lot and then used an aggressive press to get back into the game. The zone wasn't the factor for keeping the game close. I've been impressed with UNC's zone offense over the years.

That said, it does benefit Coach K to have what UNC did to Cuse on film. Maybe he can tweak something to our zone and make it more effective than what Cuse did.

UNC did a number on Duke the last time they played as well. Duke will need to play very well to win on Saturday. Berry needs to be the focus. He makes UNC go.

devildeac
03-01-2018, 04:34 PM
OK I really tried to insert a .gif of Joel Berry dancing that I had hoped would stoke your hatred but I find myself completely unable to do so. When I preview the post, it always seems like I've attached a regular.jpg. Trust me, in motion, this thing will make you want to climb the summit of Mt. Hatemore. Is there a trick I am not getting?

Maybe the motion part of your gif got wankered, just too much for poor Blue Devil fans to process. :rolleyes:

Bob Green
03-01-2018, 04:51 PM

Coach K can use that film to develop a plan to contain Theo Pinson. As you said, UNC shredded the Cuse zone with a big reason being Theo Pinson's effectiveness operating in the middle by the FT area.

English
03-01-2018, 05:01 PM
UNC did a number on Duke the last time they played as well. Duke will need to play very well to win on Saturday. Berry needs to be the focus. He makes UNC go.

That was the since-scrapped Duke M2M, so you're right, but not really relevant. Nice to get a dose of the debbie downers this afternoon to temper the weekend's optimism.

rsvman
03-01-2018, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the extra info. I did not see the game. I turned it on when there were only about two minutes left and Syracuse was surging. If one of their bigs hadn't essentially handed the ball to Joel Berry at an untimely moment, they had a really good chance of winning. But the arc of the game and the offense that UNC used against the zone I did not get a chance to see. Thanks, again, for the correction.

dukelifer
03-01-2018, 05:06 PM
That was the since-scrapped Duke M2M, so you're right, but not really relevant. Nice to get a dose of the debbie downers this afternoon to temper the weekend's optimism.

I have watched 100 of these games- Duke is 50-50. Hard to ever get too optimistic. UNC's small ball lineup was very effective. Duke needs to counter somehow. Surprisingly, Duke has rebounded better out of the zone- that could help a lot as last game UNC dominated their offensive glass.

Kedsy
03-01-2018, 05:21 PM
I have watched 100 of these games- Duke is 50-50. Hard to ever get too optimistic.

Maybe, but in the last 50 of "these" games (going back more than 20 years), Duke is 32-18 (64% winning percentage). So, it's up to you, but maybe you could be a little optimistic?

Saratoga2
03-01-2018, 05:25 PM
We had that tired look against VT but should be fresh coming off a multi-day rest with time to practice.

We no doubt will continue to use Grayson as the primary playmaker once the ball gets into the front court. Both he and Trevon need to be smart with the ball and not try to force plays or make the sensational pass. I believe we have the talent advantage and need to try keep the attempts equal or in our favor by taking care of the ball.

AOC does not really hurt us defensively when in the 3 - 2 zone so it makes sense for him to get PT while keeping our other guards fresh and out of foul trouble. I have been hoping that our coaches would have encouraged him to pose more of an offensive threat when in, rather than quickly getting the ball out of his hands.

I don't expect either GT or GA to get a lot of open shots, so the 3 point % may not be all that high. On the other hand, we have to minimize the open looks by UNC, especially the corner 3. We probably will be unable to stop the deep 3 attempts from the perimeter, but have to hope UNC doesn't hit those at a high rate.

We have an advantage in the front court, with Marvin and Wendell and with the very solid backups of Bolden, DeLaurier and White. Keep these guys fresh, go inside and pound the boards.

FT's will matter in this game and we have to hit ours. We have been getting better as the season progresses, despite misses at key times.

Lastly, our coaches have to make good moves. We have the home court, it is senior night and we are fresh. It should give us the advantage.

Lar77
03-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Keep track of Berry especially in the 20 foot range.
Don't let Maye get garbage points.
Don't be too cute with our passing and pay attention to the lazy pass out front.
Make shots.

Send them to the deepest pits. Ninth Circle time.

Rich
03-01-2018, 05:54 PM
We had that tired look against VT but should be fresh coming off a multi-day rest with time to practice.

It seems as though we often come out against Carolina at home too pumped up, use up a lot of nervous energy, and get out of rhythm. Plus, it will be a totally new environment for the freshman. I look for a slow start, but I'm optimistic once we hit our stride.

subzero02
03-01-2018, 06:09 PM
It feels like this game should be tonight but I guess I'm glad it'll be played on Saturday so that I can dedicate the entire day to it.

907bluedevils
03-01-2018, 06:20 PM
The way Duke has continually not put away teams when they've had the chance makes me worried for every game they play. If the open 3's by allen and trent don't go down and either berry or williams gets hot, we could be in trouble. I always hope for a 20 point win, but who knows.

dukelifer
03-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Maybe, but in the last 50 of "these" games (going back more than 20 years), Duke is 32-18 (64% winning percentage). So, it's up to you, but maybe you could be a little optimistic?

You are shaped by those early years- although there were a few good memories. I am cautiously optimistic because Duke is Home where the crowd will bring the team energy and the team is rested. All I said was Duke needs to play well and contain Berry. Not sure how that is too negative. Anyway, this is a big game and everyone knows it- so that brings some added pressure on a young team.

Troublemaker
03-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Since the calendar turned to February, UNC's offense has been smoking. Check out the following offensive efficiencies against their past 7 opponents:

Pitt - 132.2
Duke - 126.3
@NCSU - 121.4
ND - 129.3
@Lville - 127.2
@Cuse - 119.8
Miami - 127.8

So if you round up for the Cuse game, they put up 120 O.E. in every single game.

The good news is their defense has been struggling for awhile now, too. In ACC play, UNC has the best offense in the conference but only the 11th-ranked defense. In comparison, Duke is #2 in offense and #2 in defense (behind UVA).

Provided we've used this long week following VaTech to work out our spacing issues on offense, we should beat UNC using our balance and Cameron's raucousness.

Kedsy
03-01-2018, 09:53 PM
You are shaped by those early years-

And you aren't?

CDu
03-01-2018, 10:03 PM
And you aren't?

I think he was talking about himself.

Kedsy
03-01-2018, 10:22 PM
I think he was talking about himself.

Ah. Since I believe he was only one year ahead of me at school, I couldn't correctly decipher the pronouns.

dukebballcamper90-91
03-02-2018, 12:36 AM

I think Pinson will be a pro before Grayson. I could see a team taking a chance on Maye also.

jv001
03-02-2018, 06:47 AM
I think Pinson will be a pro before Grayson. I could see a team taking a chance on Maye also.

Glad you are not a GM for any NBA team. Pinson can't shoot. Good defender but bad shooter. GoDuke!

gofurman
03-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Wear all your lucky items

slower
03-02-2018, 07:52 AM

Since the term " Debbie downers" gets thrown around on here a lot, I'll propose a converse descriptor of "obliviously overconfident."

We just lost to an unranked (i believe) team, and now we're facing a Top 10 (as of the last rankings, i believe) team that has already beaten us. So if you think victory is in the bag, without admitting that a LOT of things have to go right for us to seal the deal, the above term is created in your honor.

As the great William Goldman said, in reference to predicting which scripts would be turned into successful movies - nobody knows anything.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 08:00 AM
Since the term " Debbie downers" gets thrown around on here a lot, I'll propose a converse descriptor of "obliviously overconfident."

We just lost to an unranked (i believe) team, and now we're facing a Top 10 (as of the last rankings, i believe) team that has already beaten us. So if you think victory is in the bag, without admitting that a LOT of things have to go right for us to seal the deal, the above term is created in your honor.

As the great William Goldman said, in reference to predicting which scripts would be turned into successful movies - nobody knows anything.

Let me add some to this pessimism...the last time, I believe, that GAMEDAY came to Duke with a night Duke-Carolina game, Duke played poorly. It's as if the intensity peaked early in the day with all the ESPN hoopla, and to me the energy wasn't there at tip time. Or maybe I was crazy.

And I also think the pressure of senior night, the rivalry and the pressure to defend home court is hard to handle. Both ways... There are reasons this series sees a good bit of road success for both teams. I think the road team often plays with nothing to lose in these games.

devilseven
03-02-2018, 08:03 AM
We have the GOAT, a more talented team, and a tremendous home court advantage. Why shouldn't we be confident?

Troublemaker
03-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Glad you are not a GM for any NBA team. Pinson can't shoot. Good defender but bad shooter. GoDuke!

Yeah, agreed. UNC's best pro prospect on the current team is probably Cam Johnson. 6'8" and can shoot like that? The NBA has a need for wings that can shoot.

devilseven
03-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Yeah, agreed. UNC's best pro prospect on the current team is probably Cam Johnson. 6'8" and can shoot like that? The NBA has a need for wings that can shoot.

Oh, you mean the guy that they stole from poor ol' Pittsburgh.

Troublemaker
03-02-2018, 08:17 AM
Apologies in advance for a line-by-line reply. I know it's annoying and try to avoid it when possible.

We just lost to an unranked (i believe) team, and now we're facing a Top 10 (as of the last rankings, i believe) team that has already beaten us.

UNC just lost to an unranked team. At home.

So if you think victory is in the bag

That's not how predictions on internet message boards work. People just have to feel that we have good odds of winning (at a minimum, >50%) to predict a win, but obviously nothing's a lock.

I'm predicting Duke to win, and I'm on board with kenpom's 75% chance of a Duke victory. But that obviously means we have a 25% chance at a loss.

So if you think victory is in the bag, without admitting that a LOT of things have to go right for us to seal the deal, the above term is created in your honor.

What is your take on the game? That we're underdogs?

jv001
03-02-2018, 08:29 AM

I'm sort of in the "don't want to jinx it frame of mind". Should we win, yes and I feel that way because we have more talented players, revenge for earlier loss to them, we have the greatest
of all time coach and best reason of all- I don't think The Lord will let that cheating program beat us twice in one year. But I have been wrong before. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 08:36 AM
We have the GOAT, a more talented team, and a tremendous home court advantage. Why shouldn't we be confident?

I'm guardedly confident, but I remember underdog road teams winning in this rivalry numerous times...and coming closer than expected in other cases.....

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-02-2018, 08:49 AM
Mods, would you all allow two separate "We're going to win" and "We're going to lose" threads for the tomorrow's game? I want to read and contribute to pregame discussion and even debate but the negativity of this thread already is so overwhelming as to make me wonder if we have undercover enemies stoking the fire. It's becoming insufferable.

freshmanjs
03-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Mods, would you all allow two separate "We're going to win" and "We're going to lose" threads for the tomorrow's game? I want to read and contribute to pregame discussion and even debate but the negativity of this thread already is so overwhelming as to make me wonder if we have undercover enemies stoking the fire. It's becoming insufferable.

That will be super easy. The number of posters saying they think we are going to lose is zero.

uh_no
03-02-2018, 08:52 AM

if you set your expectations low enough, you'll never be disappointed :D :D

Which Is why I truly believe we aregoing to be shut out.

jv001
03-02-2018, 08:54 AM

We could have the posters that think we're going to lose post on this site and those of us that think we're going to win post on Ozzie's STATUS CHECK Thread. :cool: GoDuke!

TruBlu
03-02-2018, 09:06 AM

And what to do with those of us with wild mood swings? Where are we to post? Or should I up my medications?

My dogs are really beginning to worry about me.

Matches
03-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Co-sign this. Although MKG is still in the league so maybe there's a place for Pinson. Berry and Maye are both excellent college players but neither of them will sniff an NBA roster.

devildeac
03-02-2018, 10:19 AM

You will be held accountable for this declaration tomorrow.

:p

Troublemaker
03-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Co-sign this. Although MKG is still in the league so maybe there's a place for Pinson. Berry and Maye are both excellent college players but neither of them will sniff an NBA roster.

If Pinson gets drafted #2 overall, we can have this conversation :-). Different level of defense and athlete with MKG coming out of college, imo.

Maye is an interesting one. Would I bet my house against Maye one day catching on as a backup stretch-5 in the NBA? No, I wouldn't. The league continues to go smaller and smaller outside of teams with elite center talents (Embiid, KAT, etc) that it might be okay for Maye to play that role one day.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Maye is an interesting one. Would I bet my house against Maye one day catching on as a backup stretch-5 in the NBA? No, I wouldn't. The league continues to go smaller and smaller outside of teams with elite center talents (Embiid, KAT, etc) that it might be okay for Maye to play that role one day.

Yeah, a year ago, I'd say 0% he is in NBA...now he's pulling a dadgummed Kennard on us. His potential here reminds me of how Bill Laimbeer extended his NBA career.....he got better and better on the 3 ball and he got dirtier and dirtier underneath.

Matches
03-02-2018, 10:49 AM

I don't think Maye has NBA-3 range although I suppose he could still develop it, and I don't think he can guard or rebound at the NBA level. He's just not athletic or strong enough. But he's surpassed all my expectations of him previously so who knows.

Kedsy
03-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Win/Loss history in rivalry under Coach K:

When Duke is top 5: Duke 28, UNC 14

When Duke is top 5 and UNC is top 10 (but lower than Duke): Duke 9, UNC 8

When both Duke and UNC are anywhere in top 10: Duke 16, UNC 17

Trey21
03-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Pinson has always had the talent to make it into the NBA, a jack of all trades but like other has said he can't shoot worth a lick. More importantly dude just doesn't have a high basketball IQ, he makes so many boneheaded plays. You look at him and he looks like he could be an Andre Roberson, or Tony Allen with his size, length, and moderate athleticism, but as often as he has a knack for making winning plays, I'd argue he is more prone to throwing the ball out of bounds, or taking a ill advised shot.
UNC Pro Chances
Berry (40%) - could be a nice bench scorer and ball handler like our dude Tyus, but he is too slow?
Maye (40%) - solid stretch 4, maybe a mix of Randle/Ryan Kelly?, gotta add weight extend his shot, liability on d no doubt at the next level
Pinson (35%) - guys like him are just a little too easy to get nowadays, really just has to go another level because he doesn't excel at one particular thing.

As for the game. I like our chances. VT was hungry, they're actually decent, and that game was kinda the definition of a trap game. Will be interesting to see how Grayson reacts. This is probably the biggest game of his career, maybe since the National Championship game. I hope he'll be ready for the moment. It's time for him to show the world how he has grown. It's also gonna be the last home game for a bunch of other guys *ahem Marvin, Wendell* ... *ahem definitely Tre* ... and *ahem probably Trent too.. I imagine the game will start with some mild nerves, but I expect our starting five to completely overwhelm them. We are so much more talented than them with all due respect. Bolden has really made some progress, and I expect him to dominant UNC second unit. Will be interesting to see how guys like Javin and AOC play if they get much run. This is the type of game where, Javin could make a winning play, or AOC could go on a run with a couple shots. I hope our length with the zone can bother UNC and cause some turnovers, because while I don't expect Kenny Williams to catch fire like he did, this UNC team does have the ability to stroke it.

Saturday should be the start of something special for this team.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 11:42 AM

When Duke is top 5: Duke 28, UNC 14

When Duke is top 5 and UNC is top 10 (but lower than Duke): Duke 9, UNC 8

When both Duke and UNC are anywhere in top 10: Duke 16, UNC 17

Fascinating....any chance you can break that down to games in Cameron? Neutral courts?

thedukelamere
03-02-2018, 12:39 PM
Since this thread is devolving into arguments about how tempered our hopes and dreams of a tar heel bashing should be, I figured I'd add something fresh for anyone who has yet to read it: The Ringer has a well-written, quick read about GA and JBII's history and impact of tomorrow game towards their individual legacies.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/2/17066960/joel-berry-grayson-allen-north-carolina-duke

Can we all just agree that 1) we are a more talented team 2) playing in the best atmosphere in college basketball and 3) have a good chance of winning? Also 4)

GO TO HELL CAROLINA! GO TO HELL!!
9F
9F (repeated ad nauseam)
9F (repeated until the universe collapses upon itself)
9F (repeated until The Cheats are punished for their crimes and Roy admits he knew)

Saratoga2
03-02-2018, 12:47 PM

We lost our last game with too many (18) turnovers. We have a lot of talent but lack that one floor general who can keep us from falling into long dry spells. I am confident that our players will put a lot of effort into this game and expect that we should be a slight favorite.

budwom
03-02-2018, 01:08 PM
We lost our last game with too many (18) turnovers. We have a lot of talent but lack that one floor general who can keep us from falling into long dry spells. I am confident that our players will put a lot of effort into this game and expect that we should be a slight favorite.

Just not making the series of horrific entry passes we made vs VT could do wonders for us.

superdave
03-02-2018, 01:51 PM
The last three games we have 18,17 and 15 turnovers. If you play a slower pace, you really have to value the ball better than that.

I do think the slower pace will reduce Unc's offensive efficiency which helps us.

I would love to see Duval have a big defensive effort and also get to the rim before the defense sets up. Berry is crafty but cant stay in front of Duval, which would open things up for our shooters. I assume Bagley gets doubled every touch...

uh_no
03-02-2018, 01:54 PM
The last three games we have 18,17 and 15 turnovers. If you play a slower pace, you really have to value the ball better than that.

I do think the slower pace will reduce Unc's offensive efficiency which helps us.

I would love to see Duval have a big defensive effort and also get to the rim before the defense sets up. Berry is crafty but cant stay in front of Duval, which would open things up for our shooters. I assume Bagley gets doubled every touch...

only if we can rebound and turn them over better than we did last time around.

trinity92
03-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Let's try this again, this time with insight from Bedeviled, who was kind enough to school me on the tech:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3o7WTMTpz2qWodznLa/giphy.gif

bedeviled
03-02-2018, 02:41 PM
^^^^^ Is it too late to revoke my assistance with that GIF??:p

Truth&Justise
03-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Since this thread is devolving into arguments about how tempered our hopes and dreams of a tar heel bashing should be, I figured I'd add something fresh for anyone who has yet to read it: The Ringer has a well-written, quick read about GA and JBII's history and impact of tomorrow game towards their individual legacies.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/2/17066960/joel-berry-grayson-allen-north-carolina-duke

Can we all just agree that 1) we are a more talented team 2) playing in the best atmosphere in college basketball and 3) have a good chance of winning? Also 4)

GO TO HELL CAROLINA! GO TO HELL!!
9F
9F (repeated ad nauseam)
9F (repeated until the universe collapses upon itself)
9F (repeated until The Cheats are punished for their crimes and Roy admits he knew)

I mostly enjoyed that article, it's a neat shared history between the two senior leaders. But I couldn't help being irked by two things:

1) The article miscounted the number of Grayson tripping incidents to make it sound worse.

2) This sentence: "But Duke crumbled as the year went on, finishing fifth in the regular-season ACC standings before fortuitous conference tournament victories over North Carolina and Notre Dame lifted it to a no. 2 seed in the Big Dance."
Fortuitous? FORTUITOUS?? Ahem, screw you, we won those games fair and square.

And we're going to win tomorrow too. LET'S GO DUKE!

jv001
03-02-2018, 03:07 PM
I mostly enjoyed that article, it's a neat shared history between the two senior leaders. But I couldn't help being irked by two things:

1) The article miscounted the number of Grayson tripping incidents to make it sound worse.

2) This sentence: "But Duke crumbled as the year went on, finishing fifth in the regular-season ACC standings before fortuitous conference tournament victories over North Carolina and Notre Dame lifted it to a no. 2 seed in the Big Dance."
Fortuitous? FORTUITOUS?? Ahem, screw you, we won those games fair and square.

And we're going to win tomorrow too. LET'S GO DUKE!

Something the cheats have never done. Won anything in basketball fair and square. GoDuke!

UrinalCake
03-02-2018, 03:18 PM
I remember last season when Grayson was going through TripGate part 2, Berry actually came out and stuck up for him publicly. So I do give him credit for that.

As for Pinson, I could see him making an NBA roster as defender and dirty-work kind of player. He just has to improve his three to a respectable level, similar to Winslow. Pinson did a really good job in the first matchup of fronting Bagley. Not sure whether the knee injury had anything to do with it, but Bagley will have to do better this time around for us to win. If Pinson can guard Bagley one on one then that allows the CHeats to play a small lineup which puts the most of their talent on the floor. Conversely, if Pinson can't handle Bagley then Roy is forced to go big which sacrifices a lot of their offense. That will be one of many key factors to look for in this game.

Devilwin
03-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Last game, they out hustled us, and had an inordinate amount of rebounds bounce right to them.
For us to win, we MUST break out of this 3 point shooting drought.

We MUST win the battle of the boards.

We MUST limit turnovers.

We MUST make a good % of our free throws (if we get any, lol)

We MUST hustle back on defense, and keep Berry and Johnson in check, oh, and Maye. No garbage baskets for him.

If we do these things, they pretty much cannot beat us. We are the more talented team....:cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Last game, they out hustled us, and had an inordinate amount of rebounds bounce right to them.
For us to win, we MUST break out of this 3 point shooting drought.

We MUST win the battle of the boards.

We MUST limit turnovers.

We MUST make a good % of our free throws (if we get any, lol)

We MUST hustle back on defense, and keep Berry and Johnson in check, oh, and Maye. No garbage baskets for him.

If we do these things, they pretty much cannot beat us. We are the more talented team...:cool:

I agree, and would say we probably only have to do a couple of these to win, as long as item 1 is one of them. We do all four? Big margin.

brevity
03-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Let's try this again, this time with insight from Bedeviled, who was kind enough to school me on the tech:

Joel Berry is just showing us his celebration routine after playing video games. Harmless, unless you are Joel Berry's hand or a nearby object (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article180806571.html).

Relax, everyone. It's not like watching Roy Williams in the "Happy" video, or seeing Kris Lang's glamour shot, or experiencing the redundancy of Tyler Hansbrough on an automated walkway.

Troublemaker
03-02-2018, 05:22 PM

KenPom and Sagarin both have Duke by 7. I'd guess the opening line will be 7.5 or 8

According to Vegas Insider (http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/index.cfm), it looks like the line opened offshore at 7.5 and in Vegas (at the Wynn) at 6.5. I suspect the line will be pushed out to 8 or more eventually.

Kjeffrey
03-02-2018, 05:26 PM

It sure doesn't make me like him more. I hope Duke can contain him tomorrow night so he can't do that dance again.

Kedsy
03-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Fascinating...any chance you can break that down to games in Cameron? Neutral courts?

Sure.

When Duke is top 5: Duke 28, UNC 14; at Duke: 13-8; at UNC: 10-5; in ACCT: 5-1

When Duke is top 5 and UNC is top 10 (but lower than Duke): Duke 9, UNC 8; at Duke: 4-4; at UNC: 3-3; in ACCT: 2-1

When both Duke and UNC are anywhere in top 10: Duke 16, UNC 17; at Duke: 6-6; at UNC: 7-8; in ACCT: 3-3

One thing about the rivalry, which team is home doesn't seem to matter very much. But the better team usually wins.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Sure.

When Duke is top 5: Duke 28, UNC 14; at Duke: 13-8; at UNC: 10-5; in ACCT: 5-1

When Duke is top 5 and UNC is top 10 (but lower than Duke): Duke 9, UNC 8; at Duke: 4-4; at UNC: 3-3; in ACCT: 2-1

When both Duke and UNC are anywhere in top 10: Duke 16, UNC 17; at Duke: 6-6; at UNC: 7-8; in ACCT: 3-3

One thing about the rivalry, which team is home doesn't seem to matter very much. But the better team usually wins.

Again, thanks for looking that up and posting....and you validated one of my theories....that it's a pretty good series for the road team.

Kedsy
03-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Again, thanks for looking that up and posting...and you validated one of my theories...that it's a pretty good series for the road team.

I guess, but like I said before, the better team usually wins.

freshmanjs
03-02-2018, 06:34 PM

I'd love to look at home vs. road record for NCSU against both Duke and UNC as well. I think home court advantage is mostly about travel and not much at all about the crowd. This would explain why there doesn't seem to be a home court advantage in the Duke-UNC series.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Well yes, that too...of course....but when the teams are closely matched, the visitors win from time to time. And as you know, Duke has won a couple of times in Chapel Hill in the past 5-6 years when Duke was NOT the better team. There's the Austin Rivers game, which we had no business winning, and one more...off top of my head...then there's 99 I think, when Duke was far superior to UNC, but fell behind by 17 and barely won the game.....

slower
03-02-2018, 06:52 PM

Good stat. Wasn't UNC ranked slightly higher (#10 vs. #12 or something) in the first game?

Hmm...per ESPN, UNC was ranked #21 that day. So, if that's right, I'm sure we were the higher ranked team.

devilseven
03-02-2018, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure about the rankings, but the cheats were a 1.5 point favorites in the first game. Duke is currently 7 point favorites for tomorrow night's game.

Hauerwas
03-02-2018, 07:16 PM
I guess I'm crazy but like many of you I believe this game is Duke's completely to lose. We are the better team, we have 6 NBA ready players and UNC might, might have one in Berry. I'm still waiting on a break out game from Duval, it would be nice for him to channel the Joel Berry trash talk into a 20 point game. I just can't imagine a way we lose unless we play like we did the last 7 minutes of the VA Tech game.

Duke is the superior team on every level, period. If K can't get these guys to buy in and play a complete 40 minute game I don't know what to say. As a side note, this might be Roy's best coaching job to date. These guys aren't very good and yet there is basically just a couple games separating them from us. They play together, they move the ball, they limit their turnovers, and make smart decisions.

Still, we should beat them by double digits all things equal, but then St. John's and B.C. so who knows....

Stray Gator
03-02-2018, 07:39 PM
Those who live in the Triangle and watch WRAL-TV may have caught the segment last night when Joel Berry was asked about his memories of playing in Cameron, and commented:

"It's like a high school atmosphere. You know, you've got the fans right there on the court. You can hear 'em yelling, and when you take the ball out they're doing the little twinkle fingers, or whatever that is."

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rivalry-picks-duke-unc-2/17379780/

Maybe he meant the "high school atmosphere" description to be complimentary; or maybe not. It's difficult to discern his intent from the context. In any event, I think it behooves the Crazies -- and the Rusties -- to bring an unprecedented level of energy and enthusiasm and sustained support tomorrow night.

Troublemaker
03-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Pressers from today. I haven't watched yet.

Coach K's: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/17386939/

Grayson's: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/17387789/

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Joel Berry was asked about his memories of playing in Cameron, and commented:

"It's like a high school atmosphere. You know, you've got the fans right there on the court. You can hear 'em yelling, and when you take the ball out they're doing the little twinkle fingers, or whatever that is."

Maybe he meant the "high school atmosphere" description to be complimentary; or maybe not. It's difficult to discern his intent from the context. In any event, I think it behooves the Crazies -- and the Rusties -- to bring an unprecedented level of energy and enthusiasm and sustained support tomorrow night.

I didn't take it negative...in some ways Cameron is like a big HS gym, with bleachers and not seats (on the court level), the fans right on the court, so close to the players. We'll see if the Crazies take it badly, but I honestly don't think he meant it as an insult.

devilseven
03-02-2018, 08:33 PM
I didn't take it negative...in some ways Cameron is like a big HS gym, with bleachers and not seats (on the court level), the fans right on the court, so close to the players. We'll see if the Crazies take it badly, but I honestly don't think he meant it as an insult.

It was absolutely an insult. The cheats have made fun of Cameron many times before. I hope the Crazies and us crusties upstairs send them straight to hell tomorrow night.

uh_no
03-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Duke is the superior team on every level, period.

Except for putting up more points over a 40 minute game.....or so the n=1 dataset shows....chance to change the narrative tomorrow....but remember, we just lost to virginia tech and haven't played much offense in 2 games.

You best sacrifice something to the weauxfing gods here.....like a mid-level bottle of scotch or something.

MChambers
03-02-2018, 08:52 PM
Well yes, that too...of course...but when the teams are closely matched, the visitors win from time to time. And as you know, Duke has won a couple of times in Chapel Hill in the past 5-6 years when Duke was NOT the better team. There's the Austin Rivers game, which we had no business winning, and one more...off top of my head...then there's 99 I think, when Duke was far superior to UNC, but fell behind by 17 and barely won the game....

Do you mean 98, when Elton returned from a broken foot? I think Duke handled the Cheats easily in 1999.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Do you mean 98, when Elton returned from a broken foot? I think Duke handled the Cheats easily in 1999.

That's prolly it.....now you know why I say "I think" after the year when I'm operating from off the cuff.....

subzero02
03-02-2018, 09:03 PM

The 17 point comeback was definitely in 98. It featured the wojo/k hug after the upset. We had a great squad that year but the holes featured carter, shammond, cota and jamison so I've got to give them the nod in terms of talent. Our first meeting with them that year featured Carter's missed dunk off the backboard. We easily had the talent edge in 99.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 09:17 PM
Tony Romo will be the guest of the new owner of the Carolina Hurricanes...along with a couple PGA golfers, sitting behind the Duke bench...according to the Raleigh Nuisance Disturber. Apparently Larry Fitzgerald is in the house too. The stars come out...

Saratoga2
03-02-2018, 09:17 PM
I guess I'm crazy but like many of you I believe this game is Duke's completely to lose. We are the better team, we have 6 NBA ready players and UNC might, might have one in Berry. I'm still waiting on a break out game from Duval, it would be nice for him to channel the Joel Berry trash talk into a 20 point game. I just can't imagine a way we lose unless we play like we did the last 7 minutes of the VA Tech game.

Duke is the superior team on every level, period. If K can't get these guys to buy in and play a complete 40 minute game I don't know what to say. As a side note, this might be Roy's best coaching job to date. These guys aren't very good and yet there is basically just a couple games separating them from us. They play together, they move the ball, they limit their turnovers, and make smart decisions.

Still, we should beat them by double digits all things equal, but then St. John's and B.C. so who knows...

I think UNC is superior in one area and that is PG. Having a true and experienced PG is a big plus. I don't believe Trevon has reached that level as yet and while Grayson is an excellent player, he is not a true PG.

uh_no
03-02-2018, 09:36 PM
Tony Romo will be the guest of the new owner of the Carolina Hurricanes...along with a couple PGA golfers, sitting behind the Duke bench...according to the Raleigh Nuisance Disturber. Apparently Larry Fitzgerald is in the house too. The stars come out...

Tony has been a big fan for a while. few years ago he was there with whitten and garrett and someone else and they were playing 2v2 before the game. Tony went and sat with the students for a bit near the end of the game.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Tony has been a big fan for a while. few years ago he was there with whitten and garrett and someone else and they were playing 2v2 before the game. Tony went and sat with the students for a bit near the end of the game.

He's also apparently good friend of the Dallas businessman that just bought the Hurricanes. They're at hockey tonight, will brave the wind to play golf tomorrow, and be in Cameron tomorrow night. The life of millionaires who hang with billionaires.......

uh_no
03-02-2018, 09:44 PM
He's also apparently good friend of the Dallas businessman that just bought the Hurricanes. They're at hockey tonight, will brave the wind to play golf tomorrow, and be in Cameron tomorrow night. The life of millionaires who hang with billionaires....

fortunately the waduke driving range is going WITH the wind right now. He'll have to club up a bit on 4 though :D

jv001
03-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Fitzgerald recently teamed up with our Kevin Streelman to win the Pro-Am in Pebble Beach. Great to have those guys rooting for the good guys.:cool: GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Fitzgerald recently teamed up with our Kevin Streelman to win the Pro-Am in Pebble Beach. Great to have those guys rooting for the good guys.:cool: GoDuke!

AGREED...and appropos of nothing in particular, Fitzgerald roomed at Pitt with another WR, a guy who is now a chiropractor in Raleigh area....

moonpie23
03-02-2018, 10:36 PM
since all our guys are pretty healthy, i guess there's only one way (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-tskP0OzI) to look at this game!

UrinalCake
03-02-2018, 10:41 PM
It was absolutely an insult. The cheats have made fun of Cameron many times before. I hope the Crazies and us crusties upstairs send them straight to hell tomorrow night.

Berry can say what he wants, their players dream of having the kind of fan support that Cameron brings. Roy himself trashed his fans just last season, claiming they only show up for the "frickin' Duke game." I've seen tickets for conference games in the Dean Dome for sale on StubHub for under $10. Heck, I've even received a Groupon offer for UNC games.

Cameron may not be what it once was, but it's still the best environment in college ball.

kako
03-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Cameron may not be what it once was, but it's still the best environment in college ball.

I believe that. Still I'd like to go to Allen Fieldhouse in person someday and see them play a high caliber team. I'm sure I'll still think Cameron is the best, but folks do talk about KU.

Re the game: On paper/analytics/eye test, Duke looks like the better team. The Devils needs to rebound, continue the zone but be cognizant of Carolina's 3-balls, and hit some outside shots themselves. It would be great to see Trent's shot return. I'd also looking for improving D from Bagley and continued overall progress from Bolden. Of course, Allen's last game needs to be a good one. But then again, Duke/Carolina rarely fails to be close. I wouldn't be surprised to see UNC make it so this time, too. Hard to imagine Williams goes off like before, but stranger things have happened.

9F

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 10:56 PM

Explain that...and I am not arguing or debating that point, not what it once was - just asking for your thinking on it. I've not been in person enough to make such a judgment.

Rich
03-02-2018, 11:01 PM
Those who live in the Triangle and watch WRAL-TV may have caught the segment last night when Joel Berry was asked about his memories of playing in Cameron, and commented:

In the Ringer article posted earlier in this thread there is this quote: Their ninth meeting, and possibly last as part of this rivalry, will take place in Cameron Indoor Stadium—an arena Berry says can get so raucous that the floor shakes and the noise drowns out everything else. “You can be standing right by Coach and you still can’t hear anything,” Berry says.

So there seems to be some level of respect for Cameron. He genuinely seems like a good guy (as much as it pains me to say).

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 11:13 PM
In the Ringer article posted earlier in this thread there is this quote: Their ninth meeting, and possibly last as part of this rivalry, will take place in Cameron Indoor Stadium—an arena Berry says can get so raucous that the floor shakes and the noise drowns out everything else. “You can be standing right by Coach and you still can’t hear anything,” Berry says.

So there seems to be some level of respect for Cameron. He genuinely seems like a good guy (as much as it pains me to say).

I didn't want to argue this with the other poster, but you're right. Berry is a good guy, he's one of Grayson's best friends, and I did not take his comments as a slight.

duketaylor
03-02-2018, 11:40 PM
Good stat. Wasn't UNC ranked slightly higher (#10 vs. #12 or something) in the first game?

Hmm...per ESPN, UNC was ranked #21 that day. So, if that's right, I'm sure we were the higher ranked team.

I think you're referencing Duke/Clemson.

Furniture
03-03-2018, 12:11 AM

"I always love winning there,” North Carolina senior guard Joel Berry II told reporters (https://twitter.com/ESPNMcGee/status/968712403100819456) of playing at Cameron after falling to the Hurricanes.
Berry has won just once at Duke in three tries.

duketaylor
03-03-2018, 12:15 AM
I think it's easy to feel very uncomfortable about this game for a few reasons. The seeming disconnect with Marvin back; Grayson goes cold, offense less efficient. Secondly, I think is a far more talented team-so that scares me a little; I've seen that work against teams in this rivalry all too often.
I felt the same way about our 2015 team, at least that worked out ok.
I'm just getting home from work, wild day. Wind still blowing, power out. One car hit by big limb, minimal damage, thanks. Now sitting here in driveway having a brew before going inside for a TyPM, coming back out here til I get tired.
Big game tomorrow!!
Go Duke!!! 9F9F9F!!!

duketaylor
03-03-2018, 12:57 AM
I was reading earlier about Berry's comments on playing in CIS. No way I'd take that as an insult. Any college hoops player would wish their school had that atmosphere and passion.
I've only been to a few venues not CIS. VCU has an excellent homecourt prescence. Went to Duke at Maryland in about 88 in the barn, only fair. Been to maybe 15 non-Duke college games not counting about 11 ACC Tourneys. VCU was closest, but about 60% of a really good CIS game.
Same friend I've taken to CIS a couple times would prolly agree. Went with him this year to UVA at VCU and Texas (Shaka Smart return). Both games were great and pretty loud.
Excellent venue!! Passionate fanbase!!
I'd like to go to Rupp, KU, Pauley and The Pit when they're good.

I've not been to many great sporting events.....that weren't in CIS, save the '99 FF, the '68 MLB All-Star Game ( I was 6).

duketaylor
03-03-2018, 01:33 AM
Vegss has Duke -7 tomorrow, I would've guessed 3.5 or 4. Interesting.

subzero02
03-03-2018, 03:30 AM
Vegss has Duke -7 tomorrow, I would've guessed 3.5 or 4. Interesting.

I see a few books athat -6.5 now. The money is going on the holes but I like us for a double digit win.

Bob Green
03-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Keys to the game:

1. Value the ball - we have had way too many turnovers in recent games.

2. Rebound on both ends.

3. Guard the 3 PT Line in the zone. Joel Berry, Kenny Williams and Cam Johnson can knock down shots if open.

4. Contain Pinson who put up 23 points with 7 assists on the Syracuse zone.

I expect Duke to attempt to control pace so the offense cannot commit turnovers in a game with lower number of possessions.

devilseven
03-03-2018, 08:29 AM
I didn't want to argue this with the other poster, but you're right. Berry is a good guy, he's one of Grayson's best friends, and I did not take his comments as a slight.

And you personally know he's a good guy and one of Grayson's BEST friends? Please give us the details.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 08:38 AM
And you personally know he's a good guy and one of Grayson's BEST friends? Please give us the details.

I didn't make it up.
Many articles on this....from both players about their time together in AAU and how close they are. Here is one of thousands you can Google:

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 08:40 AM

and more if you are interested...
https://247sports.com/Bolt/Grayson-Allen-Joel-Berry-II-share-friendship-despite-rivalry-51180051

sagegrouse
03-03-2018, 08:51 AM
I didn't make it up.
Many articles on this...from both players about their time together in AAU and how close they are. Here is one of thousands you can Google:

Money quote about AAU teammates:

The two lived close—Berry just outside Orlando and Allen in Jacksonville—and so a plan was hatched: A representative of E1T1 [Berry's team was Each 1 Teach 1] called Allen, and soon the future Blue Devil shared a backcourt with the Tar Heel–to-be.

“It was a great move for us,” Berry says. “And then over the years, he just got explosive and was dunking on people. He got on our team and he just made us that much better.”

They didn’t practice together often, but Berry says the pair grew close both on the court and in hotels the nights before games. With Berry running the show and Allen coming off the bench, E1T1 won the 2013 Nike Peach Jam, the nation’s most renowned AAU tournament. Edward “Boobie” Francis, E1T1’s coach, told ESPN that he used his players’ future college plans to the team’s advantage. If Francis yelled out “Duke,” Allen would get the shot. If Francis said “Carolina,” the ball would go to Berry. And if the coach called for “Ohio State,” the shot would go to Russell, the group’s elder statesman. Berry and Allen teamed up again that summer in the 2013 Nike Global Challenge, and the next spring in the McDonald’s All American Game before heading their separate ways.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2018, 08:58 AM
If we don't make unforced turnovers we win. That simple. Take care of the ball, win the game.

Let's go Duke!

Sixthman
03-03-2018, 09:02 AM
If we don't make unforced turnovers we win. That simple. Take care of the ball, win the game.

Let's go Duke!

If we play harder than they do for the full 40, we win.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2018, 09:10 AM
If we play harder than they do for the full 40, we win.

If we score more points than they do, we have a really good chance.

Sixthman
03-03-2018, 09:14 AM

but we can't win true road games

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 09:15 AM
but we can't win true road games

Well thank God there are no more of those....unless the NCAA "Greenvilles" us again......

22JumpShots
03-03-2018, 09:18 AM

:D (I tried to send just a grin faced smiley but it sadly would not let me :()

Pghdukie
03-03-2018, 09:30 AM
Will "SPEED-O MAN" make an appearance tonight ?

elvis14
03-03-2018, 09:48 AM
I was already worried about this game and now I hear that Romo will be behind our bench. Now, I'm really worried that's a bad omen. Can we get his seats transferred behind the Cheater bench and get him some smurf wear?

As a Grayson fan, I have to say this is about the worst thing I've ever read about him. Berry chose to go to UNCheat AFTER the Cheating was revealed. He chose to cheat. That's not my definition of a "good guy". I hope he misses every shot he ever takes in any game, including pop-a-shot and throwing wadded up paper in a wastebasket.

elvis14
03-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Just brought up Facebook and the first thing is shows me is a memory from 9 years ago, stating that was happy because Duke won on Senior night and I was happy for Greg, Dave and Marty. Wow can't believe its been 9 years (and I still think Marty should have gotten more playing time).

Can't wait to make a similar post tonight!

dukelifer
03-03-2018, 10:20 AM

Let's go Duke!

And rebound well on the defensive glass

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2018, 10:33 AM
And rebound well on the defensive glass

This is where I like Javin. He can keep Pinson/Johnson in check on rebounds. Those two had 9 offensive rebounds against Duke.

I’m worried about Berry. He is probably the most cerebral player on the court and will try to destroy the zone from deep. I hope the zone can keep him in check.

dukelifer
03-03-2018, 10:43 AM
This is where I like Javin. He can keep Pinson/Johnson in check on rebounds. Those two had 9 offensive rebounds against Duke.

I’m worried about Berry. He is probably the most cerebral player on the court and will try to destroy the zone from deep. I hope the zone can keep him in check.
Berry is the most dangerous shooter because he can create but both Maye and Johnson are very capable of shooting over any zone as they are tall. I suspect K will mix in some other wrinkles for this game. It is so interesting that UNC is playing small ball and Duke has the inside advantage. A bit of twilight zone.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Berry is the most dangerous shooter because he can create but both Maye and Johnson are very capable of shooting over any zone as they are tall. I suspect K will mix in some other wrinkles for this game. It is so interesting that UNC is playing small ball and Duke has the inside advantage. A bit of twilight zone.

In fairness, I believe UNC has the best offensive rebounding rate in the ACC during ACC play (which is nuts, given their size and lack of front court experience).

And duke is a better 3pt shooting team than a lot of folks thought (thanks Wendell, Grayson, and Gary).

So, bottom line, even with new line ups, both teams are better in their traditional core strength than we would have thought.

azzefkram
03-03-2018, 11:31 AM
In fairness, I believe UNC has the best offensive rebounding rate in the ACC during ACC play (which is nuts, given their size and lack of front court experience).

And duke is a better 3pt shooting team than a lot of folks thought (thanks Wendell, Grayson, and Gary).

So, bottom line, even with new line ups, both teams are better in their traditional core strength than we would have thought.

Grayson hasn't been too helpful in ACC play wrt 3pt shooting. He's actually shooting worse than Tre from 3 (30% vs. 34%). Still rather have Grayson taking the shot, regardless of the percentages.

Our o-rebounding has taken a bit of hit with Marvin, Javin and to a lesser extent, Marques, missing a fair amount of league games. That being said, what uNC is doing given their lack of quality size is impressive.

I'd really like a win tonight,

Chard
03-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Pressers from today. I haven't watched yet.

Coach K's: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/17386939/

Grayson's: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/17387789/

Anyone else catch Coach K's remarks about Grayson's parents turning him over to Coach, only hearing one voice? Man, the stories Coach could probably tell.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Anyone else catch Coach K's remarks about Grayson's parents turning him over to Coach, only hearing one voice? Man, the stories Coach could probably tell.

I did catch that, and found it interesting. Naturally, got me thinking which parents have been the opposite in that regard?

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2018, 11:37 AM
I did catch that, and found it interesting. Naturally, got me thinking which parents have been the opposite in that regard?

Derryck Thornton, for one.

uh_no
03-03-2018, 12:02 PM

derryck thornton.

TKG
03-03-2018, 12:04 PM

Mr. Burgess.

Troublemaker
03-03-2018, 12:17 PM
I'm still waiting on a break out game from Duval, it would be nice for him to channel the Joel Berry trash talk into a 20 point game.

Trevon has a pretty wide range of possibilities for this game, imo.

On the one hand, Coach K may decide that we need more spacing off the ball if Grayson continues to be the PG. So Alex gets his second start of the season and Trevon is reduced to, say, 10-15 minutes off the bench.

On the other hand, Coach K may decide to get the ball back into Trevon's hands (because defenses always guard the ball but will leave off-ball players to clog the lane if they can't shoot). In that case, Trevon might be able to make plays against UNC's weak defense. Guards can drive UNC for layups or kickouts for open threes. They've been doing it all season, and in this case, Trevon might end up being one of the heroes of the game.

jv001
03-03-2018, 12:22 PM

On the one hand, Coach K may decide that we need more spacing off the ball if Grayson continues to be the PG. So Alex gets his second start of the season and Trevon is reduced to, say, 10-15 minutes off the bench.

On the other hand, Coach K may decide to get the ball back into Trevon's hands (because defenses always guard the ball but will leave off-ball players to clog the lane if they can't shoot). In that case, Trevon might be able to make plays against UNC's weak defense. Guards can drive UNC for layups or kickouts for open threes. They've been doing it all season, and in this case, Trevon might end up being one of the heroes of the game.

Whatever minutes Trevon get's I hope he does as you noted above. That and be smart with the ball. He could really wreck hurt their defense. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Whatever minutes Trevon get's I hope he does as you noted above. That and be smart with the ball. He could really wreck hurt their defense. GoDuke!

He could repeat that little poster-ize number he did in Chapel Hill about 5 times....wouldn't hurt my feelings...

Cannot see this enough: http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/02/08/video-dukes-trevon-duval-posterizes-north-carolina/

budwom
03-03-2018, 12:52 PM

Taking things as a slight has become a rich DBR tradition. I agree with you, I found his comment neither inaccurate nor insulting.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2018, 01:03 PM

As long as UNC plays M2M, Trevon should have a field day. He’s so damn athletic and he has good instincts in the post (better than on the perimeter).

Trevon had an okay game the first time around, IIRC. Hopefully he has a absolutely nasty one tonight.

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2018, 01:33 PM
One of the Crazies kicked off the day right in Cameron with an $18K half court shot.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22634204

Chard
03-03-2018, 02:06 PM

Add Daddy Humphries to the list (not sure about spelling of last name).

Just saw a graphic on ESPN halftime show along the lines of "Duke has 99.6% change for #1 seed if they win tonight." I hope that's true because that would make a win tonight that much sweeter!

devildeac
03-03-2018, 02:20 PM

Just saw a graphic on ESPN halftime show along the lines of "Duke has 99.6% change for #1 seed if they win tonight." I hope that's true because that would make a win tonight that much sweeter!

Coming from espn, I'll put about 10% reliability on that info.

But, I just pulled that number out of my t*r h**l, too.

:o:rolleyes:

devildeac
03-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Speaking of the nickname for the ugly blue team that plays home games at dean's myth center (who gets credit for that one, PackMan97?), investigate what DBR "spell check" does if you type t*r h*le in with the correct letters substituted for the *s. (LOL)

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 02:24 PM

There is a 0% chance that is accurate. I’d believe that Duke has a 99.6% chance at a #1 seed if they win tonight and win the ACCT. I’d believe UVA has a 99.6% chance at a #1 seed if they win tonight.

But that’s... about it.

uh_no
03-03-2018, 02:36 PM
One of the Crazies kicked off the day right in Cameron with an $18K half court shot.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22634204

i think the last time a crazie stuck that shot, we win by 32...

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2018, 02:41 PM
i think the last time a crazie stuck that shot, we win by 32...

Works for me.

Doria
03-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Yep, I’ll take that result!

weezie
03-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Vrank sighting at baseball game. Duke up 1-0 bottom second.

Chard
03-03-2018, 04:34 PM
There is a 0% chance that is accurate. I’d believe that Duke has a 99.6% chance at a #1 seed if they win tonight and win the ACCT. I’d believe UVA has a 99.6% chance at a #1 seed if they win tonight.

But that’s... about it.

Michigan State losing today eliminates another potential 1-seed candidate. Virginia, Villanova, Xavier and Kansas look even more likely at this point. Duke might be the only team that can even threaten for the top line now. (Maybe UNC if they win at Duke and then win the ACCT.)
(http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0761699502288542292-4)

http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/standard_v1/62e096d9-55e3-4c97-b8f9-fe334c8ab323.png

wobatus
03-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Except now Kansas down 12 at Oklahoma St with 8 minutes left.

devildeac
03-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Except now Kansas down 12 at Oklahoma St with 8 minutes left.

That lead is 15.34% safe.

;)

http://www.lilliechilen.com/billjames/

wobatus
03-03-2018, 05:53 PM
That lead is 15.34% safe.

;)

How about 19 with 5 minutes left? I mean, they already clinched. But still, playing for a seed I’d think. Duke has a good shot at a 1.

CDu
03-03-2018, 05:56 PM
How about 19 with 5 minutes left? I mean, they already clinched. But still, playing for a seed I’d think. Duke has a good shot at a 1.

If Duke wins out, I think we get a 1 seed. If we lose, it gets really dicey. For example, it gets really hard to argue we should be seeded above your Tarheels if we lose tonight. And if we lose in the ACC tournament, there is a strong chance the committee will keep us on the 2 line.

devildeac
03-03-2018, 05:56 PM

Now 76-53 with 3:58 to go. That lead is 159.77% safe;). That one got out of hand in a hurry for KU. :eek:

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Now 76-53 with 3:58 to go. That lead is 159.77% safe;). That one got out of hand in a hurry for KU. :eek:

I'm gonna enjoy that last couple minutes too.....this is a bad bad loss, especially if Ok State loses early in B12T.

uh_no
03-03-2018, 06:02 PM
students on their way in..... let's go

Dub
03-03-2018, 06:02 PM
IMO, key to the game is which Gary Trent shows up. We know what we’re going to get from the twin towers. We know Grayson will be amped up so he may struggle in the 1st half. Trevon plays more off the ball now so not expecting a huge game from him. Hopefully he plays poised and provides a nice 10 & 5 line.

That brings me back to Gary. When Gary is on, it’s a thing of beauty. However, Gary hasn’t been on the last couple of games and our offense isn’t nearly as dangerous if he’s not a perimeter threat. Hopefully he’s on tonite and we can celebrate a nice victory in Grayson’s final home game. I think the Vegas line is a joke at -7 (I’ll pass). And no way in hell I’m wagering on the bad guys. Look forward to part 2 tonight! Let’s go Duke!

-jk
03-03-2018, 07:04 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

brevity
03-03-2018, 07:23 PM
IMO, key to the game is which Gary Trent shows up.

If I had to pick one, I hope it's Junior. The Shaq of the MAC is 43 years old and presumably forfeited his 4th year of amateur eligibility.

jv001
03-03-2018, 07:34 PM
IMO, key to the game is which Gary Trent shows up. We know what we’re going to get from the twin towers. We know Grayson will be amped up so he may struggle in the 1st half. Trevon plays more off the ball now so not expecting a huge game from him. Hopefully he plays poised and provides a nice 10 & 5 line.

That brings me back to Gary. When Gary is on, it’s a thing of beauty. However, Gary hasn’t been on the last couple of games and our offense isn’t nearly as dangerous if he’s not a perimeter threat. Hopefully he’s on tonite and we can celebrate a nice victory in Grayson’s final home game. I think the Vegas line is a joke at -7 (I’ll pass). And no way in hell I’m wagering on the bad guys. Look forward to part 2 tonight! Let’s go Duke!

Like to see Gary get his pull up shot going early. I think if he sees a couple of shots going in, he get's it going from long range. I look for the cheats to come out fired up and maybe turn the ball over and give us some layups/dunks. The question is do we see Coach K go with Alex, Marques, Javin and Jack in the first half. We may need our bench to come through tonight. Probably either Trevon or Javin is one of those bench players. Both could be big tonight. GoDuke!

Bluedog
03-03-2018, 07:37 PM
ESPN just flashed that with a win, we have a 99% chance of a 1 seed according to BPI. If only BPI was what mattered....I don't understand why they project such things when they look ridiculous. Also says Louisville has a 100% chance of getting in the tournament with a win vs NC St.... In any event, let's get this tonight!!!

Grayson Redick
03-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Refs tonight?

gocanes0506
03-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Refs tonight?

Questionable

riverside6
03-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/UNC, starters posted...
https://www.scacchoops.com/unc-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-03032018

brevity
03-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Refs tonight?

The SCACC link above lists the officials: Mike Eades, Roger Ayers, Raymond Styons.

drummerdevil
03-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Javin needs to ball out as a starter

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 08:08 PM
So happy for Grayson. Glad he's had a mostly good season. Hoping he can lead this team deep into March and into April.

rsvman
03-03-2018, 08:30 PM
That turnover was a head scratcher, and we have already missed at least three point blank shots.
We need to turn it up.

Oriole Way
03-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Not a good sign that, with 5 days to practice, DeLaurier starting was the big move, and it didn't work at all.

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 08:33 PM
3 turnovers from Allen already.

jipops
03-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Two very bad offensive teams so far

gocanes0506
03-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Geez saying refs were questionable was right. Awful to watch so far

slower
03-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Painful to watch Grayson so far. Hope he turns it around.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Just be careful with the ball. Everything else will work out.

rsvman
03-03-2018, 08:39 PM
I like that we are subbing quite a bit. Bolden has looked pretty solid.
Need to protect the ball and not leave the shooters.

accfanfrom1970
03-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Need to make free throws...

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Need to make free throws...

And stop turning it over.

jipops
03-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Both these teams look like quick outs come tourney time. This is some inept basketball.

slower
03-03-2018, 08:51 PM
Trying to think positive thoughts, but this is really hard to watch. Can't believe how tight both teams look. Hoping they work out the jitters soon. Really poor passing.

Looks like Grayson shooting free throws might be our best offensive option. Although...

rsvman
03-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Our offense is so stagnant. Way too much isolation and not enough teamwork.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 09:02 PM
4 months ago, who'd have thought that by February Luke Maye's 3 point shot would look more dangerous than Grayson Allens or Gary Trents?????

And 4-12 from the line? Not acceptable at any age. Bad as we look, we'd be in it or ahead with anything from the line.

Dukebasketball2020
No body is playing good for Duke, Carter has missed 4 easy shots inside, no body boxing out, 7 missed FT's, bad turnovers, Allen can't make a shot, Gary Trent is playing okay. Lucky we aren't down 15.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Corner shot is the weakness of the zone.

Oriole Way
03-03-2018, 09:04 PM
We've already missed enough free throws to lose this game. In the first half alone.

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Is Jack White hurt? Hasn't played yet.

gocanes0506
03-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Corner shot is the weakness of the zone.

The holes are making the zone a weakness

Dukebasketball2020
03-03-2018, 09:06 PM
This team is pathetic to watch this is sad Allen can't even hit FT's

rsvman
03-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Curiously, we have no offense at all.
I thought we were a juggernaut.

InSpades
03-03-2018, 09:07 PM
The holes are making the zone a weakness

We are just about at the half and they have 30 points. Shooting 37.5 from the field, 25% from 3.

The zone has been effective.

Our offense has gone MIA. That is the problem. We can't even hit a free throw.

rsvman
03-03-2018, 09:08 PM
My mom can shoot free throws better than this.

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 09:08 PM
This is about as bad of a half offensively as you can play. Awful shooting. Awful free throw shooting. No ball movement.

porkpa
03-03-2018, 09:09 PM
This is just terrible. If we keep playing like this, we won't make the Sweet Sixteen.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 09:10 PM
My mom can shoot free throws better than this.

I'm trying to think if any team I've ever played on, or coached, at any level, has ever gone 4-14 from the line.....I really don't think so.

gocanes0506
03-03-2018, 09:10 PM
We are just about at the half and they have 30 points. Shooting 37.5 from the field, 25% from 3.

The zone has been effective.

Our offense has gone MIA. That is the problem. We can't even hit a free throw.

They may be shooting that low but they have missed wide open shots. Cant say their shooting percentage is indicative of an effective D. They have carved through the D with ease.

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Uninspiring and embarrassing effort.

NM Duke Fan
03-03-2018, 09:12 PM
This is about as bad of a half offensively as you can play. Awful shooting. Awful free throw shooting. No ball movement.

The stats are indeed atrocious, I am picking my brain trying to ever remember a Duke team playing this poorly on offense against UNC at home ...? It is not just missed shots, it is stagnation, lack of assertiveness, confidence, pretty much everything. Talk about flat!

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Have to make shots. That's pretty much it at this point.

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Who cares what their seed is in the ACC? Or the NCAA? This is a 1st weekend team and it’s blindingly obvious.

rsvman
O'Connell should've fired up that open three on our last possession of the half. Couldn't really changed the tenor of the game.
Bad D on the Carolina's last possession.

Something had to change big-time.

gocanes0506
I don’t think i’ve ever seen Duke play two more uninspired games against UNX. Heck the players at least played hard in ‘96.

BigZ
03-03-2018, 09:14 PM
the best team in the Triangle is NCState

dukelion
03-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Well......that was disgusting.

I just don't get this team.

They'll struggle with the 15 seed and they still might win it all.

Maddening.

ncexnyc
03-03-2018, 09:15 PM
That was a disgusting 1st half performance.

I should have known it was going to be one of these games when from the get go, Allen gets a rebound starts heading up court and Cam Johnson slams him across the chest and doesn't get called for a foul.

HereBeforeCoachK
Who cares what their seed is in the ACC? Or the NCAA? This is a 1st weekend team and it’s blindingly obvious.

Week day or weekend? Lehigh? Mercer?

jipops
Our offense has been bad before tonight. The kenpom rating is very deceiving. We are completely inept offensively now, maybe as bad as we used to be defensively.

cbarry
03-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Yep... again. Ugh. Such high hopes this year, and we have regressed again.

We are lucky not to be down by 15-20. We might be soon. Just not our night...
Or year.

MarkD83
03-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Even though they are talented the issue is they are still playing like freshmen.

NM Duke Fan
03-03-2018, 09:17 PM
I like Gary Trent as a player, but his lack of consistency shooting is a really big question mark, both for this team right now and possibly this year's NBA draft. I was hoping he would be the difference maker he is capable of being. Still one half to go maybe it will still happen. Who can get hot, and who can make free throws? I can't even imagine what the coaches will say at the half. Will a player step up during half time and rally the team with some fire?

Billy Dat
We look bad, but I’ve felt this way at halftimes of eventual wins during this rivalry. Hopefully something gets us going early in the second half.

HereBeforeCoachK
Our offense has been bad before tonight. The kenpom rating is very deceiving. We are completely inept offensively now, maybe as bad as we used to be defensively.

When we were that bad defensively, it was obvious that we needed to play zone. I've no idea what to do about this offense. No idea.

Dub
03-03-2018, 09:18 PM
I’ll be the optimist and say we’re only down 10. Given how we played, we should be down a whole bunch more. UNCs weakness is guard penetration but our best penetrating guard plays limited 1st half minutes. Guess K came on DBR and saw all the calls for more PT for AOC. If we’re going to to pass around the perimeter and throw contested post feeds, we’re going to lose by 20.

We have to put pressure on their guards. I’m not even surprised by Grayson given the emotions of the evening, but our bigs have to play better. Wendell cannot allow Maye to guard him straight up in the post. He has to dominate him and he’s not. In the second half I need to see more Trevon, a better Grayson, and a much better Wendell. We’ll be fine and we’ll get back in the game but we’re in a dog fight fellas. Let’s go Duke!

BigZ
03-03-2018, 09:18 PM
All the talk next year is the top 3 recruits but Tre will. E the key

-jk
03-03-2018, 09:19 PM
Folks, keep it constructive. And no venting, please.

Thx,

-jk

jv001
03-03-2018, 09:20 PM
All of our shots are contested. No wide open shots and I say that comes from running a stagnant looking offense. It's so predictable and that makes it easier to guard. Force the ball to our big guys and hope they can make a contested jump hook or up and under basket. Watching our offense is like watching grass grow. I sure hope the offense can pick it up in the 2nd half. GoDuke!

The cheats are shooting better from 3(29%) than we are from the FT line(28%). Our defense has been good but our offense has put too much pressure on the defense. GoDuke!

ChrisP
03-03-2018, 09:22 PM
I HATE these over-hyped College Gameday, senior night games. We seem to always play like crap! This ofense is embarrassing - bigs giving us virtually nothing. If GA can't even hit his FT's, what chance do we have?

CDu
03-03-2018, 09:23 PM
The frustrating thing is that we are again playing terrific defense. Gotta play a lot better on offense in the second half. And stop letting UNC win the boards. Hopefully this team has another big second half in them.

Saratoga2
Coming into this game, most have said we have to take care of the ball (we have not and it is pretty clear who is having problems with that), we have to react to the corner three (missing some coverage on that), have to hit free throws (4 for 14 at the half), hit our 3's ( believe only one made and by Alex O'Connell), rebound at least equally to UNC (Losing that battle mainly due to missed FT's).

We end the first half down 10 while playing at home with a great crowd. We have a lot of talent, yet UNC has looked much better. Our offense is nearly non existent and our defense okay but not great. I don't see what adjustment we can make going forward. No offensive flow so hope something good happens, but not optimistic.

Sixthman
Crowd about as good as team first half.

wavedukefan70s
I like our offense with one big in the middle.

ChrisP
03-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Anyone else notice how Grayson's not got any lift on his jumpers? Looks tired on a his shots :(

Oriole Way
03-03-2018, 09:25 PM
When we were that bad defensively, it was obvious that we needed to play zone. I've no idea what to do about this offense. No idea.

Easy fix in my opinion. Play way more O'Connell (and start him) so we have 3 shooters on the floor at all times around Bagley and Carter.

Play Duval and DeLaurier less. Sub Bolden and DeLaurier in for big men only when possible. If Duval is in the game, continue to strive to have 3 other shooters with him. Play White more in instances we need those 3 shooters on the floor.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Need Bags and Carter more involved. Offense is looking sad. Allen needs to be more aggressive.

cbarry
He HAS to be sick. I can’t think of any other reason he is so off. Lots of missed, TOs, seems lost out there.

Anyone else notice how Grayson's not got any lift on his jumpers? Looks tired on a his shots :(

jv001

When Bilas was doing the 90ft walk and interviewing Grayson he was limping slightly. Grayson is not squaring up on his three point shot and like you said, he has little lift. GoDuke!

CDu
Easy fix in my opinion. Play way more O'Connell (and start him) so we have 3 shooters on the floor at all times around Bagley and Carter.

Play Duval and DeLaurier less. Sub Bolden and DeLaurier in for big men only when possible. If Duval is in the game, continue to strive to have 3 other shooters with him. Play White more in instances we need those 3 shooters on the floor.

Why White? He isn’t a good shooter.

BlueandWhite
03-03-2018, 09:27 PM
I’ll be the optimist and say we’re only down 10. Given how we played, we should be down a whole bunch more. UNCs weakness is guard penetration but our best penetrating guard plays limited 1st half minutes. Guess K came on DBR and saw all the calls for more PT for AOC. If we’re going to to pass around the perimeter and throw contested post feeds, we’re going to lose by 20.

We have to put pressure on their guards. I’m not even surprised by Grayson given the emotions of the evening, but our bigs have to play better. Wendell cannot allow Maye to guard him straight up in the post. He has to dominate him and he’s not. In the second half I need to see more Trevon, a better Grayson, and a much better Wendell. We’ll be fine and we’ll get back in the game but we’re in a dog fight fellas. Let’s go Duke!

Thanks for this thoughtful post. This game is not over by any stretch. Anyone else in Cameron for the 1998 game? How much were we down by? Duke isn't going to shoot under 30% from the line again in the 2nd half. Great point about our guards needing to put pressure on their guards - completely agree. And yes Wendell does need to dominate Maye on the interior on offense, he needs to go up stronger.

CDu
03-03-2018, 09:27 PM
When Bilas was doing the 90ft walk and interviewing Grayson he was limping slightly. Grayson is not squaring up on his three point shot and like you said, he has little lift. GoDuke!

Allen is never squared up. He has always had his right foot forward. That is his shot.

left_hook_lacey
03-03-2018, 09:28 PM
That was a disgusting 1st half performance.

I should have known it was going to be one of these games when from the get go, Allen gets a rebound starts heading up court and Cam Johnson slams him across the chest and doesn't get called for a foul.

I think you fell for Allen's head snaps to draw a foul like the refs sometimes do. I really wish college basketball would implement an embellish rule like that have in hockey.

jv001
03-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Allen is never squared up. He has always had his right foot forward. That is his shot.

I was talking more about his shoulders. GoDuke!

mgtr
03-03-2018, 09:29 PM

Agreed -- but he keeps passing up 3s. Got to shoot 'em.

duketaylor
03-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Score was tied with 6 mins left in half, then the offense died. Everything that could go wrong did. Need to come out fast in this half!

WHOneedsSOX
03-03-2018, 09:34 PM
This is some uuuuuuugly basketball.

6th Man
03-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Worst effort I’ve ever seen from a Duke team in a half versus UNC. It isn’t because UNC is playing great. 4-14 free throws? I feel like they are going to come back in the second half. Wishful maybe but I’d like to think Grayson won’t let this happen.

gocanes0506
03-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Cant protect the ball and can’t play any team basketball. Hopefully K whips them back into shape before the ACC Tournament

HereBeforeCoachK
03-03-2018, 09:35 PM

I wouldn't mind giving that a look

CDu
03-03-2018, 09:37 PM
I was talking more about his shoulders. GoDuke!

Same thing. He is never squared up.

rsvman
03-03-2018, 09:39 PM
If Carolina is going to make 27-foot threes it's going to be a long night.

ice-9
03-03-2018, 09:39 PM
I actually don't think we're playing THAT badly. Just not making shots, including free throws.

If we shot 33% from 3 and say, 70% from FT we would be up 7 points.

Oriole Way
03-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Why White? He isn’t a good shooter.

He's capable of making open 3's. Need him for floor spacing when we have Duval in the game and - here's the caveat - when we don't have all of Allen, Trent, and O'Connell surrounding Duval.

That means we will probably only need White for 5 minutes a game.

And here's the other thing. I don't think Duval is a good fit for this team. I think he deserves 20 minutes per game max moving forward.

ehdg
03-03-2018, 09:42 PM
This is so frustrating! I just don’t know what we’re doing on defense. They’re just hurting us. I’m lost as to what to do.

Dub
03-03-2018, 09:44 PM
He's capable of making open 3's. Need him for floor spacing when we have Duval in the game and - here's the caveat - when we don't have all of Allen, Trent, and O'Connell surrounding Duval.

And here's the other thing. I don't think Duval is a good fit for this team. I think he deserves 20 minutes per game max moving forward.

You sure about that? Been saying it all season. Trevon Duval will be the reason we make a deep run. He’s the only person on our team that can create off the dribble. Give me more Tre and less AOC.

jipops
03-03-2018, 09:45 PM

I do think it is fair to consider that K's decision to play Allen for a string of 40 minute or near 40 minute games has been detrimental to him and the team at this point. Allen just doesn't have it anymore. And having him run point takes away from his own offense.

Billy Dat
03-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Signs of life, stay positive.

Oriole Way
03-03-2018, 09:47 PM
You sure about that? Been saying it all season. Trevon Duval will be the reason we make a deep run. He’s the only person on our team that can create off the dribble. Give me more Tre and less AOC.

I'm sure. Duval can't shoot and he has a low IQ for a PG. He plays well in spurts, but he's too inconsistent to be trusted. Doesn't matter if he's played well for the last few possessions. He's a liability in too many facets of the game.

CDu
03-03-2018, 09:48 PM

White is the worst 3pt shooter of the top 10 minutes getters. You know who shoots better? Bagley. Carter. Duval (yes, even Duval).

Worth noting that we have played better tonight WITH Duval than without.

rsvman
03-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Duval has been making some great plays.
Not out of this one yet.