PDA

View Full Version : Coach K the highest paid basketball coach

flyingdutchdevil
02-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Brought in a solid $9M: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22606522/14-men-basketball-coaches-making-least-3-million-2017-18

Sean Miller brought in $3.65M. He may have brought in only $3.55M. I think brides are tax-deductible.

CameronBornAndBred
02-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Brought in a solid $9M: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22606522/14-men-basketball-coaches-making-least-3-million-2017-18

Sean Miller brought in $3.65M. He may have brought in only $3.55M. I think brides are tax-deductible.

At least he has scruples, unlike Pitino.
"I'm gonna get you women, but you have to marry them."

budwom
02-28-2018, 04:22 PM
brides are tax deductible as long as you keep your receipt.

kako
02-28-2018, 04:23 PM
I think brides are tax-deductible.

Only in Utah.

flyingdutchdevil
02-28-2018, 04:24 PM
I hate you all :(

FerryFor50
02-28-2018, 04:24 PM

It's actually only 3.45M. 100k went to [redacted recruit name].

weezie
02-28-2018, 04:44 PM

Yes, but not returnable after 30 years.

Truth&Justise
02-28-2018, 04:52 PM
Coach K the highest paid basketball coach

And it's well earned. Thank you, Coach.

devildeac
02-28-2018, 04:58 PM

Only in Utah.

Indeed!

ehdg
02-28-2018, 05:09 PM
In all seriousness how the heck in Chris Holtmann at Ohio State the 3rd highest paid coach? He's getting 7.14 million? What the heck has he done to get that much? I can't believe he's getting
that much and someone like Tom Izzo is making only 3.65 mill compared to him? That's nuts imo!! Btw where the heck is dagum on the list? I can't believe Ole Roy is making so much less then
this group. Okay found Ole Roy on the list how in the world is he 41st? Say what you want about ole Roy but geez he should be much further up that list. I can't believe half that list of guys
make more then him and he's won 3 National Titles. That's just nuts!!

MarkD83
02-28-2018, 05:28 PM
In all seriousness how the heck in Chris Holtmann at Ohio State the 3rd highest paid coach? He's getting 7.14 million? What the heck has he done to get that much? I can't believe he's getting
that much and someone like Tom Izzo is making only 3.65 mill compared to him? That's nuts imo!! Btw where the heck is dagum on the list? I can't believe Ole Roy is making so much less then
this group. Okay found Ole Roy on the list how in the world is he 41st? Say what you want about ole Roy but geez he should be much further up that list. I can't believe half that list of guys

Maybe unc knows that it was easier for Roy since players did not have to go to class.

Jeffrey
02-28-2018, 05:32 PM
I can't believe Ole Roy is making so much less then

UNC never required players or coaches to take real classes and learn basic life skills (such as how to negotiate a prudent contract).

devilsince1977
02-28-2018, 05:40 PM
UNC never required players or coaches to take real classes and learn basic life skills (such as how to negotiate a prudent contract).

That is all that was left over after paying for all the lawyers. Poor Roy

kAzE
02-28-2018, 05:41 PM
Haha poor FDD . . . the rare 1 typo thread derail. Brutal :p

toughbuff1
02-28-2018, 05:43 PM
Maybe Roy has a clause in his contract where he has to pay 100k for each timeout he uses.

Jeffrey
02-28-2018, 05:44 PM
That is all that was left over after paying for all the lawyers. Poor Roy

And that's before Poor Roy pays his accountants, tax attorneys, and the IRS. It's pretty easy to see why he dresses the way he does.

RPS
02-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Brought in a solid $9M.I want to say up front that I have no quarrel with how much K is paid. However, in that (a) only three (http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nba-head-coach-contracts-salaries/) NBA coaches may be paid more (the USA Today piece (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/) seems to indicate that shoe contracts are not included in the $9mm salary, which means that K's pay may well exceed that of all NBA coaches) despite being the pinnacle of the profession; and (b) many, many NBA players earn far more (https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html) than even the highest paid NBA coach while college players are not (legally) paid (scholarships notwithstanding), this reality provides still further evidence that the college economic system is seriously out of whack. The only reason a coach of a minor league team would be paid more than major league coaches is because of all the excess money available to the colleges because minor league labor is essentially free.

devildeac
02-28-2018, 05:59 PM
I want to say up front that I have no quarrel with how much K is paid. However, in that (a) only three (http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nba-head-coach-contracts-salaries/) NBA coaches may be paid more (the USA Today piece (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/) seems to indicate that shoe contracts are not included in the $9mm salary, which means that K's pay may well exceed that of all NBA coaches) despite being the pinnacle of the profession; and (b) many, many NBA players earn far more (https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html) than even the highest paid NBA coach while college players are not (legally) paid (scholarships notwithstanding), this reality provides still further evidence that the college economic system is seriously out of whack. The only reason a coach of a minor league team would be paid more than major league coaches is because of all the excess money available to the colleges because minor league labor is essentially free.

Brad Stevens at a "paltry" $3.67M/year?

Duke could easily afford him when, nah, never mind...

:o:rolleyes:

flyingdutchdevil
02-28-2018, 06:00 PM
I want to say up front that I have no quarrel with how much K is paid. However, in that (a) only three (http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nba-head-coach-contracts-salaries/) NBA coaches may be paid more (the USA Today piece (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/) seems to indicate that shoe contracts are not included in the $9mm salary, which means that K's pay may well exceed that of all NBA coaches) despite being the pinnacle of the profession; and (b) many, many NBA players earn far more (https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html) than even the highest paid NBA coach while college players are not (legally) paid (scholarships notwithstanding), this reality provides still further evidence that the college economic system is seriously out of whack. The only reason a coach of a minor league team would be paid more than major league coaches is because of all the excess money available to the colleges because minor league labor is essentially free.

We are not in disagreement. I have no problem with someone getting paid. Coach K is not paying himself; dozens of smart Duke alums made that decision to pay Coach K that much. Good for Coach K.

I too find the irony in Coach K making that much money and paying the "labor" virtually nothing. A clear loophole in this wonderful, capitalistic society. But Coach K has voiced his opinion that the NCAA is broken. What else can he do?

RPS
02-28-2018, 06:05 PM
Brad Stevens at a "paltry" $3.67M/year?

Duke could easily afford him when, nah, never mind...I thought the exact same thing.

We are not in disagreement. I have no problem with someone getting paid. Coach K is not paying himself; dozens of smart Duke alums made that decision to pay Coach K that much. Good for Coach K.

I too find the irony in Coach K making that much money and paying the "labor" virtually nothing. A clear loophole in this wonderful, capitalistic society. But Coach K has voiced his opinion that the NCAA is broken. What else can he do?I don't blame K a bit and, as I said, have no complaint about what he is paid.

Jeffrey
02-28-2018, 06:07 PM
many, many NBA players earn far more (https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html) than even the highest paid NBA coach

IMO, that's evidence that the professional economic system is seriously out of whack. In most businesses, the boss makes more than the employees they manage. If not, then the employees will probably manage the boss.

flyingdutchdevil
02-28-2018, 06:12 PM
IMO, that's evidence that the professional economic system is seriously out of whack. In most businesses, the boss makes more than the employees they manage. If not, then the employees will probably manage the boss.

Well, in this case, the "boss" is the franchise owner. And they are - in most, if not all, circumstances - the highest paid. And I'd argue the second most powerful person is the superstar on said team. Lebron is clearly the second most powerful person on the Cavs (after Gilbert). And Curry/Durant are more powerful than Myers or Kerr.

cato
02-28-2018, 06:16 PM

But NBA coaches aren’t really bosses. They motivate, manage, strategize, coach. But are not any more critical to the success of a team than franchise players. In most cases, they are less critical.

Jeffrey
02-28-2018, 06:46 PM
But NBA coaches aren’t really bosses. They motivate, manage, strategize, coach. But are not any more critical to the success of a team than franchise players. In most cases, they are less critical.

Agreed, which, IMO, justifies "only three NBA coaches may be paid more (the USA Today piece seems to indicate that shoe contracts are not included in the $9mm salary, which means that K's pay may well exceed that of all NBA coaches) despite being the pinnacle of the profession".

RPS
02-28-2018, 06:50 PM

They aren't truly bosses.
It's simple supply and demand. If colleges could pay players legally, there is no way coaches would be paid the way they are. On the other hand, without a salary cap, the top NBA players would be paid a lot more.
In how many sports do coaches get paid more than players?

Jeffrey
02-28-2018, 06:57 PM
They aren't truly bosses.

Agreed, which, IMO, means that are not at "the pinnacle of the profession". IMO, in many ways, Quin had a more powerful and demanding position at Missouri than now at Utah.

UrinalCake
02-28-2018, 08:00 PM
Okay found Ole Roy on the list how in the world is he 41st?

Don’t worry, he gets plenty of bonuses when his team meets APR goals for passing their non-existent classes, or when his players graduate thanks to tutors writing their plagiarized papers.

RPS
03-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Agreed, which, IMO, means that are not at "the pinnacle of the profession".Why is it, then, that college coaches who move to the NBA have had such limited success?

Jeffrey
03-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Why is it, then, that college coaches who move to the NBA have had such limited success?

It's a very different environment and they probably did not adapt as well as K.

dukelifer
03-01-2018, 10:52 AM
I thought the exact same thing.

I don't blame K a bit and, as I said, have no complaint about what he is paid.

But Duke does not have infinite money. The market is somewhat artificial. Coaching basketball is not a unique skill. Boeheim is a considered a great coach but has only one NC. Same with Izzo. They have one more than Wojo. In any given season, Wojo may be better. But I suspect Wojo is not compensated at the same level. Coaches can be compensated based on success- i.e. get a piece of the NCAA pie if they get to a certain level in the tourney- but their base salaries can be reasonable. Half of all coaches are below average in any given year and most are more highly compensated than the best professors. Paying coaches based on success would be a better system.

RPS
03-01-2018, 11:04 AM
It's a very different environment and they probably did not adapt as well as K.The most fundamental difference is that NBA players and teams are way, way better. The schemes are much more complex. The level of execution is exponentially higher. That's why coaching there is the pinnacle of the profession. Billy Donovan won two straight NCAA Tournament championships but is widely regarded as a so-so NBA coach. K's success with the Olympic team suggests pretty strongly that he could be a very good NBA coach. But he had to change pretty much everything when he started working with the pros.

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2018, 11:26 AM
The most fundamental difference is that NBA players and teams are way, way better. The schemes are much more complex. The level of execution is exponentially higher. That's why coaching there is the pinnacle of the profession. Billy Donovan won two straight NCAA Tournament championships but is widely regarded as a so-so NBA coach. K's success with the Olympic team suggests pretty strongly that he could be a very good NBA coach. But he had to change pretty much everything when he started working with the pros.

Oh...I'm not sure you can extrapolate that. Just like if Pop doesn't win in the 2020 Olympics, you can't call him a bad NBA coach.

The Olympics and the NBA are very, very different. I'd argue that the schemes in the NBA aren't overly complex for the US. The best, fastest, biggest, strongest, and most talented athletes are on Team USA. That is nothing like the NBA, where teams are more evenly balanced (for the most part. The Bulls and Dubs are clearly different)

Do I think Coach K would be a good NBA coach? Yes, because he's a master of motivation and tweaking teams. But I don't think he'd be elite, especially in the first few years. There are plenty of NBA coaches who are muuuuuch better at X's and O's than Coach K.

Jeffrey
03-01-2018, 11:26 AM
The most fundamental difference is that NBA players and teams are way, way better. The schemes are much more complex. The level of execution is exponentially higher. That's why coaching there is the pinnacle of the profession.

IMO, that's why playing there is the pinnacle of the profession. I think what K has done at Duke is as impressive as what Pop has done at San Antonio.

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2018, 11:28 AM
IMO, that's why playing there is the pinnacle of the profession. I think what K has done at Duke is as impressive as what Pop has done at San Antonio.

By your definition, shouldn't Pop be more impressive given they both have 5 titles and NBA > college?

Jeffrey
03-01-2018, 11:30 AM
By your definition, shouldn't Pop be more impressive given they both have 5 titles and NBA > college?

Wake up.... I'm on the other team.

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Wake up... I'm on the other team.

HAHAHAHA. I can't read.

TexHawk
03-01-2018, 11:34 AM

From the linked article:
"Ohio State's Chris Holtmann is third on the list at $7.14 million, one of four Big Ten coaches making at least $3 million. However, Holtmann's contract will pay him about $3 million this year in annual compensation, including base salary, media appearances and money from sponsors Coca-Cola and Nike, as well as deferred compensation. The $7 million includes money that Ohio State had to pay for Holtmann's buyout from Butler, as well as taxes on the buyout."

Jeffrey
03-01-2018, 11:37 AM
HAHAHAHA. I can't read.

It's also not my best skill. Damn audiobooks.

Ian
03-01-2018, 11:39 AM

1 game tournament vs best of 7 series makes winning consistently much harder in college. From 1980 to now, 20 NBA champs were either champs or runner-up the previous season. In NCAA over the same period it's happened 5 times.

flyingdutchdevil
03-01-2018, 11:41 AM
From the linked article:
"Ohio State's Chris Holtmann is third on the list at $7.14 million, one of four Big Ten coaches making at least $3 million. However, Holtmann's contract will pay him about $3 million this year in annual compensation, including base salary, media appearances and money from sponsors Coca-Cola and Nike, as well as deferred compensation. The $7 million includes money that Ohio State had to pay for Holtmann's buyout from Butler, as well as taxes on the buyout."

Lol. With a ginormous buy-out to go to one of the richest public schools (~$4B endowment) that has a huge focus on athletes, he still doesn't surpass K or Cal. Damn...those dudes get paid A LOT!

DukieInKansas
03-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Maybe Roy has a clause in his contract where he has to pay 100k for each timeout he uses.

Good thing he doesn't have to pay for the TOs he doesn't use - his pay would be lower.

RPS
03-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Oh...I'm not sure you can extrapolate that. Just like if Pop doesn't win in the 2020 Olympics, you can't call him a bad NBA coach.I agree. That's why I used "suggests" rather than "shows" or something like it.

Olympics and the NBA are very, very different. I'd argue that the schemes in the NBA aren't overly complex for the US. The best, fastest, biggest, strongest, and most talented athletes are on Team USA. That is nothing like the NBA, where teams are more evenly balanced (for the most part. The Bulls and Dubs are clearly different)If I understand you correctly, I agree. NBA schemes are much more complex than what Team USA used but K still had to change everything.

I think Coach K would be a good NBA coach? Yes, because he's a master of motivation and tweaking teams. But I don't think he'd be elite, especially in the first few years. There are plenty of NBA coaches who are muuuuuch better at X's and O's than Coach K.Agreed. Plus, K would have to learn to use his bench.:)

RPS
03-01-2018, 01:32 PM
1 game tournament vs best of 7 series makes winning consistently much harder in college. From 1980 to now, 20 NBA champs were either champs or runner-up the previous season. In NCAA over the same period it's happened 5 times.I don't think "harder" is right. With a seven-game series as opposed to a one-and-done format, randomness (luck) is much less of a factor in outcomes. Thus, generally speaking, winning a championship is harder in college when you have the superior team (Lehigh! 1986!) but easier when you don't (2010!). It also means that there is good reason to think a five-time NCAA champion is luckier than a five-time NBA champion. Of course, that doesn't denigrate K in the least. However, I do think his greatness as a college coach is demonstrated more by his overall record and his Final Four appearances than by his championships.

Ian
03-01-2018, 01:46 PM
I don't think "harder" is right. With a seven-game series as opposed to a one-and-done format, randomness (luck) is much less of a factor in outcomes. Thus, generally speaking, winning a championship is harder in college when you have the superior team (Lehigh! 1986!) but easier when you don't (2010!). It also means that there is good reason to think a five-time NCAA champion is luckier than a five-time NBA champion. Of course, that doesn't denigrate K in the least. However, I do think his greatness as a college coach is demonstrated more by his overall record and his Final Four appearances than by his championships.

Harder is the correct word, as in "more difficult" as in "more unlikely to happen". Sure the best teams don't win as frequently in college as in the NBA, but that doesn't mean the lesser teams are individually more likely to win in college. They are not, considering you have 64 teams in the tournament and only 16 in the NBA playoffs, or 351 total Div I teams and only 30 total teams in the NBA.

RPS
03-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Harder is the correct word, as in "more difficult" as in "more unlikely to happen". Sure the best teams don't win as frequently in college as in the NBA, but that doesn't mean the lesser teams are individually more likely to win in college. They are not, considering you have 64 teams in the tournament and only 16 in the NBA playoffs, or 351 total Div I teams and only 30 total teams in the NBA.Perhaps I'm being overly pedantic, but "difficult" and "unlikely" are very different things. There is nothing difficult about winning a lottery grand prize -- buy the winning ticket. There is no skill involved whatsoever and almost no effort. But it is highly unlikely.

cato
03-01-2018, 02:11 PM
There are plenty of NBA coaches who are muuuuuch better at X's and O's than Coach K.

Coach K’s supposed lack of mastery of X’s and O’s is overblown. Have some coaches gotten the better of him in certain games? Sure. But unlike system coaches, Coach K has shown an ability to resign his game plan year-in, year-out, with college players, who are not as skilled or experienced as NBA players, and who have a lot fewer reps to learn.

If Coach K had jumped to the NBA, I bet he would have focused more on the X’s and O’s. Luckily, we have not had to find out.

Ian
03-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Perhaps I'm being overly pedantic, but "difficult" and "unlikely" are very different things. There is nothing difficult about winning a lottery grand prize -- buy the winning ticket. There is no skill involved whatsoever and almost no effort. But it is highly unlikely.

You're confusing the topic, it's not difficult to win the lottery by random chance, you just buy a ticket and pray, it's difficult to win it more frequently than random chance would permit. That's the point, the skill to win lotteries more frequently than random chance would allow is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to attain. The skill to win championships more frequently than what random chance would allow is also extremely diffcult but less impossible than winning lotteries. The issue is which is more difficult, winning more college champships or winning more NBA championship. and I submit it's winning college championship because the randomness factor is more dominant.