PDA

View Full Version : NIT Experimental Rules Announced

pfrduke
02-27-2018, 08:03 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22597009/longer-3-point-line-experimental-rules-used-nit

Quick summary:

FIBA 3-point line
NBA width key
4 10-minute quarters (2-shot bonus after 5 fouls in each quarter)
After offensive rebound, shot clock resets only to 20 seconds

The Boston College folks can report back as to how these work in this season's tournament.

22JumpShots
02-27-2018, 08:33 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22597009/longer-3-point-line-experimental-rules-used-nit

Quick summary:

FIBA 3-point line
NBA width key
4 10-minute quarters (2-shot bonus after 5 fouls in each quarter)
After offensive rebound, shot clock resets only to 20 seconds

The Boston College folks can report back as to how these work in this season's tournament.

Good. I'd like to see how it translates to our college game as a test. Apparently rules can't officially change until May of 2019, after the full 2-year cycle has completed.

I like the 4 quarter change because the team fouls reset each quarter. The offensive rebound / shot clock duration reset could go either way.

Edit - I wish they'd go all out and do the 4-Point Box (near the corners of the half-court line) and only activate in the final 60 seconds of each quarter. Hey, why not? Globetrotters did it. They were the first with 3-pointers if I remember.

kako
02-27-2018, 08:46 PM
The FIBA 3-pt line is a no brainer to me. Spreads the court a bit, better transition to the NBA and good prep for international play for the U-21, U-19 teams. NCAA should adopt it, though schools will complain about the paint cost, etc. I'd say the NCAA moves at a glacial pace, but that's an insult to glaciers.

UrinalCake
02-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Can we get them to move back the three point line for the NCAA tournament? Or maybe eliminate it altogether?

uh_no
02-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Can we get them to move back the three point line for the NCAA tournament? Or maybe eliminate it altogether?

I propose three points for a dunk.

UrinalCake
02-28-2018, 10:13 AM
Baskets made by bench players only count as one point.

Man to man defense is illegal

Double teaming in the post is illegal

Hingeknocker
02-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Last year's NIT featured the same 4 quarters and foul rules, and was a hugely positive change. I hope that gets fully adopted as soon as possible. And, of course, it's already been this way in the women's game for several years now.

I also like the idea of resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds after an OReb. Though, I can see some issues with the timing operators not getting this right when there's a fight for the rebound. It will be interesting to see how this plays out during the NIT.

And I can actually see widening the lane and moving the 3-point line back as the changes most relevant to Duke going forward. Both of those things will reward more talented players - spreading out the floor more, like it is in the NBA. It sure would be nice if opposing teams weren't allowed to manhandle (and foul) Bagley/Carter in the post like we've seen recently *cough* both Virginia schools *cough*.

W&LHoo
02-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Baskets made by bench players only count as one point.

Man to man defense is illegal

Double teaming in the post is illegal

That feels a little targeted.

Dev11
02-28-2018, 10:50 AM
I love switching to quarters to limit the excessive free throws, but I want to know how the media timeouts will work now. I'm conditioned to watch for the four-minute intervals, and I know that Krzyzewski and other coaches use those intervals in their game planning. There are currently four media timeouts per half, so I imagine they'll do media timeouts every five minutes and make the breaks after the first and third quarters like double media timeouts to create equivalent sponsor time, or maybe they'll go more towards the NBA model, where each quarter has different media timeout times.

The rest of the changes don't quite move me as much, but it's going to be hard on the clock official to judge offensive rebounds for resetting the shot clock.

Neals384
02-28-2018, 01:53 PM
So, no 1 and 1 free throws? Right now that sounds like a terrific idea.

75Crazie
02-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Media timeouts are an abomination and should be eliminated. I can understand (even though I do not agree with) the rationale for having them in a game that has 20-minute halves that turn out to be 45+ minutes of real time given the frequent time stoppages (even though the media that televises soccer games has learned to live with 45 minutes of commercial down-time). Given how conditioned we have become to media timeouts in college basketball, it would not surprise me if they would be continued after moving to a quarter system ... but I would dearly love for some sort of mandate to be given the TV providers that they learn to live with the breaks provided by quarters and team time-outs instead of mandating something like a 5-minute media timeout in each quarter.

DU82
02-28-2018, 09:42 PM
I love switching to quarters to limit the excessive free throws, but I want to know how the media timeouts will work now. I'm conditioned to watch for the four-minute intervals, and I know that Krzyzewski and other coaches use those intervals in their game planning. There are currently four media timeouts per half, so I imagine they'll do media timeouts every five minutes and make the breaks after the first and third quarters like double media timeouts to create equivalent sponsor time, or maybe they'll go more towards the NBA model, where each quarter has different media timeout times.

The rest of the changes don't quite move me as much, but it's going to be hard on the clock official to judge offensive rebounds for resetting the shot clock.

For the women's game, media timeouts are the first stoppage after the 5:00 mark of each quarter. And, obviously, between quarters. In the second half, the first timeout called by a team is an extra media timeout. If a timeout is called before the 5:00 mark of a quarter, it becomes the media timeout in the first half, and in also the second half if another timeout has already become the additional media timeout.

I would presume that similar rules would apply if the men's game went to quarters.