PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament Seeding Probabilities

ndkjr70
02-27-2018, 11:09 AM
Our seeding just got a little bit more in flux after the loss last night.

The teams left in contention for a top-4 slot are as follows:

1. UVA 15-1 (Clinched #1 seed)
2. Duke 12-5 (vs. UNC)
3. UNC 11-5 (vs. Miami, @ Duke)
4. NCSU 10-6 (@ GT, vs. Louisville)
5. Clemson 10-6 (FSU, @ Syracuse)

For Duke to clinch a double-bye, they need:
WIN vs UNC
or
UNC WIN vs. Miami
or
(1) Loss by NCSU or Clemson

There's only one real scenario that Duke doesn't have a double-bye: if UNC loses to Miami and beats Duke, and State and Clemson both win out, there would be a 4-team tie at 12-6. Duke would lose that tie-breaker due to their record (1-4) against the other teams.

The thing that was really impacted was the 2 or 3 seed. A win last night would have locked that up. Unfortunately, they'll have to beat the Cheats to control that spot, or get help from State.

For Duke to get the 2 or 3-seed (thus avoiding UVA until the ACC Title Game), they need:
WIN vs UNC
or
(1) loss by NCSU

Just for fun, in a "best reasonable case" scenario -- should UNC lose to Duke in the Finale and NCSU win both of their remaining games, UNC would get the 4 seed and have to face (likely) Clemson in their first game, UVA in their second game, and then someone from the 2/3 side of the bracket in the championship game.

PackMan97
02-27-2018, 11:17 AM
For Duke to get the 2 or 3-seed (thus avoiding UVA until the ACC Title Game), they need:
WIN vs UNC
or
(1) loss by NCSU

I'll take option A please, I'm not a big fan of Plan B.

ndkjr70
02-27-2018, 11:30 AM
One other potential wrinkle.

Notre Dame is going to finish 8-10. They'll beat Pitt and they'll lose to UVA at UVA. There's a pretty good chance Bonzie Colson is ready to roll for the ACC Tournament.

It goes without saying that a Bonzie-led Notre Dame team is one of the 5 best teams in the conference, so it would be a shame to have the "privilege" of facing them in our first game. If ND finishes as the #10 seed (64% chance at 8-10 according to playoffstatus.com), we'll hope to be the 3 seed in the tournament. If ND finishes as the #11 seed (19% chance at 8-10 according to playoffstatus.com), we'll hope to be the 2 seed in the tournament.

Of course, if ND can go ahead and finish as the #9 seed (17% chance at 8-10) and play in UVA's first game... that would be pretty, pretty, prettttty cool.

duke2x
02-27-2018, 12:46 PM
http://bball.notnothing.net/acc.php?sport=mbb.

It has the results of every ACC game and lets you play around with outcomes.

The Duke as #5 seed is so remote that I would not worry about it. I was wrong when I said we clinched a double bye Saturday, but I was also about 99.99% right. :o

We need FSU to win at Clemson to avoid ND, an unlikely outcome. Keep in mind#10 ND would be playing us after 1.5 games v. Pitt and then the #7 seed (TBD). Day 2 over Day 1 has some advantages according to coaches. Day 3 over Day 1 normally does not, particularly for a team like ND. I readily acknowledge this Duke team is capable of anything outside Cameron.

I much prefer having UVA/UNC/Clemson on the top half of the bracket. The Duke/UVA team that doesn't have to face UNC before the finals has the advantage to win it if things hold to seed. We need State to win the next 2, a potentially viable outcome, but State has a history of not doing anything right. :) Go Pack.

PackMan97
02-27-2018, 01:18 PM
but State HAD a history of not doing anything right. :) Go Pack.

Fixed that for you. Keatts has really changed the culture around State's program.

pfrduke
03-01-2018, 06:07 PM
With 9 games to go in the regular season, here's how the seeding odds stack up (odds per Pomeroy - may not add up to exactly 100% due to rounding):

1 - Virginia (100%)
2 - Duke (75%); UNC (25%)
3 - NC State (39%); Clemson (27.3%); Duke (15.3%); Miami (10.1%); Virginia Tech (6.8%); Louisville (1.6%)
4 - Clemson (51.6%); Miami (17.8%); Virginia Tech (16.9%); NC State (5.4%); Duke (4.6%); Louisville (2.3%); UNC (1.4%)
5 - Miami (27.1%); NC State (26%); UNC (24.4%); Virginia Tech (11.9%); Duke (5.2%); Clemson (4.8%); Louisville (0.6%)
6 - UNC (49.2%); Clemson (16.3%); Louisville (11.5%); Miami (9.8%); NC State (9.7%); Virginia Tech (3.4%)
7 - Virginia Tech (34.5%); Miami (32.2%); Louisville (27.4%); NC State (5.9%)
8 - Louisville (28.7%); Florida State (27.8%); Virginia Tech (26.5%); NC State (14%); Miami (2.9%)
9 - Florida State (37.5%); Notre Dame (34.6%); Louisville (27.8%)
10 - Notre Dame (65.4%); Boston College (24%); Florida State (10.6%)
11 - Boston College (40.3%); Syracuse (35.7%); Florida State (24%)
12 - Syracuse (64.3%); Boston College (35.7%)
13 - Georgia Tech (53%); Wake Forest (47%)
14 - Wake Forest (53%); Georgia Tech (47%)
15 - Pittsburgh (100%)

Some notes:

The likeliest bracket almost, but not quite, matches the likeliest team to win each seed. Likeliest bracket is UVA-Duke-NC State-Clemson-Miami-UNC-Virginia Tech-Florida State-Louisville-Notre Dame-Boston College-Syracuse-Georgia Tech-Wake Forest-Pittsburgh (in other words, Louisville and FSU swap).

UNC pretty much needs to win Saturday to get a double-bye. They only way they can lose but still get the 4-seed is if NC State loses out and Syracuse beats Clemson and Virginia beats Louisville.

Louisville can still finish anywhere from 3-9. It gets the 3 if it wins out, Duke beats UNC, Miami beats Virginia Tech, and Syracuse beats Clemson; it's options for the 4 are a little more diverse. Of course, with UVA and a trip to NC State on the radar, winning out will be a tall order. Amazingly, Louisville can win out and still finish in the 7 spot if Duke beats UNC, Miami beats Virginia Tech, State beats Georgia Tech, and Syracuse beats Clemson - that would create a 5-way tie for 3rd at 11-7 and Louisville comes out on the short end of that tiebreaker (Virginia Tech beating Miami also creates a 5-way tie for 3rd in that scenario, but Louisville wins that tiebreaker - it's amazing that Louisville can be in 2 separate 5-way ties, with 4 overlapping teams, and come in 1st in one and last in the other).

Clemson has roughly an 80% chance of a double-bye - any win gets them there, and plenty of scenarios with a loss that keep them 3 or 4. Even with a loss to Syracuse, they're roughly equally likely to end up 3 or 4 as 5 or 6.

As has been written elsewhere before, the Duke to the 5 scenario requires a loss to UNC plus NC State and Clemson winning out - we come in last in a 4-way tiebreak at 12-6.

I think UVA would be thrilled with Clemson and Miami on their side of the bracket and Duke, UNC, and Virginia Tech in the opposite. I suspect their least favorite outcomes would be seeing Duke in the 4/5 line and so they're probably pulling for a Duke win Saturday.

Bob Green
03-01-2018, 06:21 PM
As has been written elsewhere before, the Duke to the 5 scenario requires a loss to UNC plus NC State and Clemson winning out - we come in last in a 4-way tiebreak at 12-6.

Go Georgia Tech! This reason is legit bit I'm good with any reason to root for a Wolfpack defeat.

freshmanjs
03-01-2018, 08:47 PM
With 9 games to go in the regular season, here's how the seeding odds stack up (odds per Pomeroy - may not add up to exactly 100% due to rounding):

1 - Virginia (100%)
3 - NC State (39%); Clemson (27.3%); Duke (15.3%); Miami (10.1%); Virginia Tech (6.8%); Louisville (1.6%)
4 - Clemson (51.6%); Miami (17.8%); Virginia Tech (16.9%); NC State (5.4%); Duke (4.6%); Louisville (2.3%); UNC (1.4%)
5 - Miami (27.1%); NC State (26%); UNC (24.4%); Virginia Tech (11.9%); Duke (5.2%); Clemson (4.8%); Louisville (0.6%)
6 - UNC (49.2%); Clemson (16.3%); Louisville (11.5%); Miami (9.8%); NC State (9.7%); Virginia Tech (3.4%)
7 - Virginia Tech (34.5%); Miami (32.2%); Louisville (27.4%); NC State (5.9%)
8 - Louisville (28.7%); Florida State (27.8%); Virginia Tech (26.5%); NC State (14%); Miami (2.9%)
9 - Florida State (37.5%); Notre Dame (34.6%); Louisville (27.8%)
15 - Pittsburgh (100%)

Some notes:

The likeliest bracket almost, but not quite, matches the likeliest team to win each seed. Likeliest bracket is UVA-Duke-NC State-Clemson-Miami-UNC-Virginia Tech-Florida State-Louisville-Notre Dame-Boston College-Syracuse-Georgia Tech-Wake Forest-Pittsburgh (in other words, Louisville and FSU swap).

UNC pretty much needs to win Saturday to get a double-bye. They only way they can lose but still get the 4-seed is if NC State loses out and Syracuse beats Clemson and Virginia beats Louisville.

Louisville can still finish anywhere from 3-9. It gets the 3 if it wins out, Duke beats UNC, Miami beats Virginia Tech, and Syracuse beats Clemson; it's options for the 4 are a little more diverse. Of course, with UVA and a trip to NC State on the radar, winning out will be a tall order. Amazingly, Louisville can win out and still finish in the 7 spot if Duke beats UNC, Miami beats Virginia Tech, State beats Georgia Tech, and Syracuse beats Clemson - that would create a 5-way tie for 3rd at 11-7 and Louisville comes out on the short end of that tiebreaker (Virginia Tech beating Miami also creates a 5-way tie for 3rd in that scenario, but Louisville wins that tiebreaker - it's amazing that Louisville can be in 2 separate 5-way ties, with 4 overlapping teams, and come in 1st in one and last in the other).

Clemson has roughly an 80% chance of a double-bye - any win gets them there, and plenty of scenarios with a loss that keep them 3 or 4. Even with a loss to Syracuse, they're roughly equally likely to end up 3 or 4 as 5 or 6.

I think UVA would be thrilled with Clemson and Miami on their side of the bracket and Duke, UNC, and Virginia Tech in the opposite. I suspect their least favorite outcomes would be seeing Duke in the 4/5 line and so they're probably pulling for a Duke win Saturday.

I'm not quite following this. What does it mean to say that "any win" gets Clemson a double bye, when they only have 1 game left? Odds of Duke getting the #5 seem understated here. For that to happen, Duke would need to lose on Saturday and Clemson to beat Syracuse (likely) and NCSU to beat Ga Tech (likely) and Louisville (toss-up).

pfrduke
03-01-2018, 09:02 PM
I'm not quite following this. What does it mean to say that "any win" gets Clemson a double bye, when they only have 1 game left? Odds of Duke getting the #5 seem understated here. For that to happen, Duke would need to lose on Saturday and Clemson to beat Syracuse (likely) and NCSU to beat Ga Tech (likely) and Louisville (toss-up).

I just meant "a" win. Typo.

Per Pomeroy, we're 75% favorites on Saturday (hence the 75% likelihood of the 2 seed). To get the 5 we need a loss to UNC (25% outcome), Clemson winning on the road against Syracuse (a 53% outcome), and NC State beating GT in Atlanta (65%) and Louisville at home (60%). Multiply all that together and you're at 5.2%.

freshmanjs
03-01-2018, 09:18 PM
I just meant "a" win. Typo.

Per Pomeroy, we're 75% favorites on Saturday (hence the 75% likelihood of the 2 seed). To get the 5 we need a loss to UNC (25% outcome), Clemson winning on the road against Syracuse (a 53% outcome), and NC State beating GT in Atlanta (65%) and Louisville at home (60%). Multiply all that together and you're at 5.2%.

Thanks...makes sense. Although, NCSU is looking like 100% right now... (Or not :) )

JasonEvans
03-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Duke can finish no lower than third now (I think)... thanks Ga Tech!

arnie
03-01-2018, 10:01 PM

I’ve seen very little of Tech this year, they looked great in 2nd half.

pfrduke
03-01-2018, 10:02 PM

Correct - we're 2 with a win and 3 with a loss. Nice to stay off Virginia's side of the bracket - that rematch (should it happen, knock on wood) deserves to be for a championship

duke2x
03-01-2018, 10:02 PM
You are correct. Win #2, Lose #3. Also, win and UNC loses a double bye.

BigWayne
03-01-2018, 10:14 PM
Just watched the end of the UVA-Louisville game. Can't believe Louisville gave that away.

pfrduke
03-01-2018, 10:17 PM
Just watched the end of the UVA-Louisville game. Can't believe Louisville gave that away.

Louisville had a four point lead with less than a second to play and managed to give up two separate scores, for 5 points, in that time. I've never seen anything like it.

devildeac
03-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Louisville had a four point lead with less than a second to play and managed to give up two separate scores, for 5 points, in that time. I've never seen anything like it.

So much for Bill James and "The Lead Is Safe." :eek:

duke2x
03-01-2018, 10:45 PM

The only thing close I can remember is a CT-Miami game in Miami about 15 years ago. I almost fell off the treadmill when Miami won.

ndkjr70
03-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Can anyone tell me the *exact* scenario(s?) that need to happen for UNC to get the 5th seed? That would be the best case scenario for Duke, obviously.

duketaylor
03-01-2018, 11:14 PM
So much for Bill James and "The Lead Is Safe." :eek:

No doubt, Loserville was a "lock" at the .9 sec time.:eek:

Ian
03-01-2018, 11:39 PM
Can anyone tell me the *exact* scenario(s?) that need to happen for UNC to get the 5th seed? That would be the best case scenario for Duke, obviously.

Assuming Duke beats UNC, UNC finishes 4th or 5th seed If NCSU loses at home to FSU.

If NCSU beats FSU, then you'd need combination of Syracuse beating Clemson at home and VTech beating Miami on the road for UNC to finish 5th, all other scenarios has UNC finishing 6th.

Troublemaker
03-02-2018, 12:37 AM

The following scenario...

https://i.imgur.com/V57J7IM.png

... creates the following bracket, and it'll be what I'm rooting for:

http://bball.notnothing.net/bracket_image.php?teams=VA,DU,VT,NS,NC,CL,MI,LV,ND ,BC,FS,SY,GT,WF,PB&data=schedules/accm.xml&image=bracket.png

duketaylor
03-02-2018, 12:44 AM
The following scenario...

https://i.imgur.com/V57J7IM.png

... creates the following bracket, and it'll be what I'm rooting for:

http://bball.notnothing.net/bracket_image.php?teams=VA,DU,VT,NS,NC,CL,MI,LV,ND ,BC,FS,SY,GT,WF,PB&data=schedules/accm.xml&image=bracket.png

How did you create and post that bracket? It's awesome and I'm running an NCAA pool and need something similar.

Troublemaker
03-02-2018, 12:47 AM
How did you create and post that bracket? It's awesome and I'm running an NCAA pool and need something similar.

Go here: http://bball.notnothing.net/acc.php?sport=mbb

pfrduke
03-02-2018, 01:37 AM
Updated odds with 7 games to go:

1 - Virginia (100%)
3 - Clemson (48.4%); Duke (25%); Virginia Tech (13.7%); Miami (12.9%)
4 - Clemson (33.3%); Miami (32.8%); Virginia Tech (20%); NC State (8.2%); UNC (5.5%)
5 - NC State (39.5%); UNC (32.7%); Miami (15.3%); Clemson (7.3%); Virginia Tech (5.2%)
6 - UNC (36.8%); Louisville (24.4%); Miami (15.6%); NC State (12.3%); Clemson (11%)
7 - Virginia Tech (61%); Miami (23.4%); Louisville (15.6%)
8 - NC State (40%); Florida State (39.2%); Louisville (20.8%)
9 - Louisville (39.2%); Notre Dame (34.6%); Florida State (26.1%)
15 - Pittsburgh (100%)

Likeliest bracket:

1 - Virginia
2 - Duke
3 - Clemson
4 - Miami
5 - NC State
6 - UNC
7 - Virginia Tech
8 - Florida State
9 - Louisville
10 - Notre Dame
11 - Boston College
12 - Syracuse
13 - Georgia Tech
14 - Wake Forest
15 - Pittsburgh

Bob Green
03-02-2018, 04:51 AM
I'm good with any reason to root for a Wolfpack defeat.

I was confident State wouldn't let us down. :p

22JumpShots
03-02-2018, 08:29 AM
So NC State potentially has a lower seed (better) than the CHEATERS in the tournament.....yet NC State has yet to be ranked (even though they clearly deserve it), and the CHEATERS are "top 10"........riiiiighhhhhtttttt. I'm going to conclude that the college basketball ranking system is about as accurate as last year's political polls, and also betting espn had a factor (keeping in mind up until recently the head of espn was a CHEATER grad.)

GTHC GTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ballboy1998
03-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Perhaps this should be its own thread, but now that we know what Thursday “session” Duke will be in, does anyone have any tips on getting tickets for the ACC Tourney at Barclays? Any especially bad seats? Better to buy now or after full bracket is known? Duke section?

Truth&Justise
03-02-2018, 10:52 AM
So NC State potentially has a lower seed (better) than the CHEATERS in the tournament....yet NC State has yet to be ranked (even though they clearly deserve it), and the CHEATERS are "top 10"....riiiiighhhhhtttttt. I'm going to conclude that the college basketball ranking system is about as accurate as last year's political polls, and also betting espn had a factor (keeping in mind up until recently the head of espn was a CHEATER grad.)

GTHC GTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had similar thoughts initially, and about how preposterous it is for a team so far down in its conference to be considered a 2-seed for the NCAAs.

But then I remembered that the same was essentially true of Duke last year: ranked throughout the season despite ultimately finishing fifth in the ACC. Won the tournament and got a 2-seed.

So I won't worry about how the outside world views UNC basketball right now. I'll just focus on beating the tar out of them on Saturday.

Let's go Duke! LET'S GO DUKE!!!

22JumpShots
03-02-2018, 05:44 PM
But then I remembered that the same was essentially true of Duke last year: ranked throughout the season despite ultimately finishing fifth in the ACC. Won the tournament and got a 2-seed.

However - we had some NINE players injured at different times throughout the season if I remember correctly, and not to mention Coach K's hiatus. Their "adversity" this season vs. last is that they lost all of their players who swallowed rebounds. We were hurt/down much of the season, also Grayon's media savaging. Also...we were removed from the top 25 at one point for losing 3 in a row. the CHEATERS were spared this year, when they should have dropped out. But of course... "too many other teams around them (rank wise) lost as well so ..." .. but they lost three in a row. At one point this year, the CHEATERS lost 6 out of 12. ..... and yet are a "top 10" team....give me a break. :p

GO DUKE!!!

UrinalCake
03-02-2018, 06:27 PM
^ we also played a much tougher schedule due to the ACC being better, and never took a loss as bad as the CHeats’ home loss to wofford.

BigWayne
03-02-2018, 06:33 PM
As long as the cheats lose tomorrow, all the scenarios are good. Either they get tougher first two rounds as the #6, or they get stuck having to go up against UVA in the semis from the #5 slot.

evrim
03-02-2018, 07:54 PM
This lists all the possibilities.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article203039739.html

Eakane
03-02-2018, 07:59 PM
I almost wish there was a little more on the line for tomorrow night, although in reality, there is plenty. A win keeps us ahead of UNC for Charlotte, as well as keeping our 1 seed hopes alive, depending on how things play out over the weekend. The ACC two seed has favorable start times over the 3 seed, and presumably, a favorable draw.

Regardless of how the dominos tumble tomorrow, I hope we get a chance to play BC, or Boston College, and of course, UVa. Those who got the first cut.

BigWayne
03-02-2018, 09:09 PM
I almost wish there was a little more on the line for tomorrow night, although in reality, there is plenty. A win keeps us ahead of UNC for Charlotte, as well as keeping our 1 seed hopes alive, depending on how things play out over the weekend. The ACC two seed has favorable start times over the 3 seed, and presumably, a favorable draw.

Regardless of how the dominos tumble tomorrow, I hope we get a chance to play BC, or Boston College, and of course, UVa. Those who got the first cut.

For us to play BC, they probably have to go on a 3 game winning streak. They would likely be playing really well, but hopefully a bit tired out.

aivroadstr
03-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Now that VT lost today, here’s what we need for uNCheats to lose the double bye

No. 5 seed
▪ with a loss AND Clemson loss, NC State loss
▪ with a loss AND Clemson win, NC State loss

No. 6 seed
▪ with a loss AND Clemson win, NC State win
▪ with a loss AND Clemson loss, NC State win

So as long as they lose tonight, seems like they will be either a 5 or 6 seed.

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 02:18 PM

No. 5 seed

No. 6 seed

Seems like this can be simplified, haha. As long as Duke beats UNC, their seed is as follows; NCState loss = 5 seed. NCState win = 6 seed.

Best case scenario for Duke is UNC as a 5 seed.

devildeac
03-03-2018, 02:28 PM

No. 5 seed

No. 6 seed

Wait, VT lost? No last minute air ball for a tip-in :rolleyes:?

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 03:48 PM
I have no idea who I’m supposed to be rooting for right now lol

devildeac
03-03-2018, 03:52 PM
I have no idea who I’m supposed to be rooting for right now lol

Easy.

For: Duke and anyone playing "u"nc. Any time. Any place.
Against: see above

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately it looks like a win today gives us (the 2 seed) the dubious honor of “most difficult path to the championship”. Unless ND wins against UVA, we’ll in all likelihood take on a Bonzie-led ND team in our first game, UNC in the next game and UVA in the championship.

Blah.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Unfortunately it looks like a win today gives us (the 2 seed) the dubious honor of “most difficult path to the championship”. Unless ND wins against UVA, we’ll in all likelihood take on a Bonzie-led ND team in our first game, UNC in the next game and UVA in the championship.

Blah.

Better path to a 1-seed, however.

arnie
03-03-2018, 04:33 PM

Blah.

You’re picking ND to beat VPI then?

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Better path to a 1-seed, however.

With MSU losing, if duke wins the ACCT they’ll be a 1-seed regardless of the path they took.

ndkjr70
03-03-2018, 04:56 PM
You’re picking ND to beat VPI then?

I’m picking Bonzie to beat anyone. Dude just dropped 19 and 9 in the first half against the #1 team and #1 defense in the country... on the road... in his second game back after injury.

He’s gonna EAT in the ACC tournament.

cbarry
03-03-2018, 05:37 PM
If we win and State loses, Duke is a 2 seed and unc is a 5- opposite sides of the bracket.

That is the only way Duke and UNC can be on opposite sides of the bracket.

Kjeffrey
03-03-2018, 06:52 PM
ESPN just showed this graphic during the State/Louisville game. I'm not really sure what the point is because Duke and Carolina cannot be seeded the way they are. I know it reads "as currently stands" but it is completely useless. I don't know why I'm even surprised but still...

Native
03-03-2018, 06:58 PM
ESPN just showed this graphic during the State/Louisville game. I'm not really sure what the point is because Duke and Carolina cannot be seeded the way they are. I know it reads "as currently stands" but it is completely useless. I don't know why I'm even surprised but still...

I'm sure they'll stand by every pixel.

devildeac
03-03-2018, 06:59 PM

I "connected" (bolded) the "dots" for you. Well, maybe not completely useless, but, your point is well made.

JasonEvans
03-03-2018, 11:11 PM
https://image.ibb.co/k2XZnn/Capture.png

cbarry
03-03-2018, 11:15 PM
That Duke vs Notre Dame game will be interesting.
ND is much better w/Bonzie & Farrell. We will have our hands full in that one.
(no way either Pitt or VT beats ND)

curtis325
03-03-2018, 11:27 PM
That Duke vs Notre Dame game will be interesting.
ND is much better w/Bonzie & Farrell. We will have our hands full in that one.
(no way either Pitt or VT beats ND)

Virginia Tech could not possibly beat a team like ND and they also couldn't possibly beat Duke or UVA.

PackMan97
03-03-2018, 11:30 PM
#5 State
#6 Cheaters

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! 9f9f9f9f9f

I like State's chances vs winner of BC/GT....and I think Clemson isn't the same team that they used to be. Getting past UVa will a problem.

I also like Miami sitting there waiting for a UNC team that has already played a game and if they get past them, y'all are sitting right there waiting for them (assuming it's not ND).

wallyman
03-03-2018, 11:34 PM
If we play ND it will be their third game in three days. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done — witness us last year - but it’s still a steep hill.

JasonEvans
03-04-2018, 12:04 AM
If we play ND it will be their third game in three days. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done — witness us last year - but it’s still a steep hill.

Yeah, but one of those games is against Pitt, so it really does not count. I think there are pick-up teams at my local Y who could beat Pitt.

dragoneye776
03-04-2018, 12:08 AM

"The ceiling is the 6th seed" - MJ probably

Devil549
03-04-2018, 12:14 AM
VT beat top two seeds in tourney as well as NCSU and UNC.....ND vs VT will be a war.

If you want to win tourney take it day by day.....IIRC Coach K has won a few ACCT.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-04-2018, 08:00 AM
VT beat top two seeds in tourney as well as NCSU and UNC....ND vs VT will be a war.

If you want to win tourney take it day by day....IIRC Coach K has won a few ACCT.

So true.

When you look at the ACCT bracket overall, it’s telling just how DEEP the ACC is this year...

I mean you have a 9th ranked team in the nation as the 6 seed in their own conference!

And Duke’s path through the ACCT is nothing easy - VTech or ND will be a dogfight, then Miami/CHeats, then UVA(most likely).

With all due respect to the Big East and the BigXII, the ACC is the best conference this year.

gocanes0506
03-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Louisville v UVA rematch
Clemson v State
ND v Duke
Syracuse (yea I said it) v Miami

State v UVA
Miami v Duke

UVA v Duke

Cuse and Duke should have a big following in the tournament. Third would be ND then the Holes.

UrinalCake
03-04-2018, 08:29 AM
I hope Louisville gets a rematch with UVA. Would give them another shot at a big win to get them off the bubble, and a chance to atone for their mind-boggling collapse.

Duke and UNC may also get chances to avenge their losses from earlier this week against VT and Miami, respectively.

cbarry
03-04-2018, 08:33 AM
A Duke - UNC rematch is almost a certainty. Let’s hope we can play all 40 minutes like we played the second half last night. Let’s never see any more basketball like yesterday’s first half, probably the worst half of basketball any Duke team has played.

dukelifer
03-04-2018, 10:19 AM
A Duke - UNC rematch is almost a certainty. Let’s hope we can play all 40 minutes like we played the second half last night. Let’s never see any more basketball like yesterday’s first half, probably the worst half of basketball any Duke team has played.

Why a certainty? Duke also may play a Notre Dame at full strength.

Bob Green
03-04-2018, 10:24 AM
I hope Louisville gets a rematch with UVA.

Toward the end of yesterday's loss to N.C. State, the Cardinals spirit looked broke. Perhaps they can rebound, but it has been a tough year for them and they might be ready to fold it up.

Troublemaker
03-04-2018, 11:24 AM

Why a certainty? Duke also may play a Notre Dame at full strength.

Yes, AND UNC has to win two games to get there, one against a team in Miami that already beat them @UNC.

szstark
03-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Yeah, but one of those games is against Pitt, so it really does not count. I think there are pick-up teams at my local Y who could beat Pitt.

A dog-tired ND vs a fresh Duke? Please bring it on. Isn’t that exactly why we wanted the double bye?

UrinalCake
03-05-2018, 10:25 AM
A dog-tired ND vs a fresh Duke? Please bring it on. Isn’t that exactly why we wanted the double bye?

Yep, if we do play them it will be their third game in as many days. Fatigue will be a huge issue, especially for Bonzie himself as he just got back from injury so his conditioning probably isn’t all the way there. Honestly I know this may sound crazy but I’d rather play an exhausted ND versus a "only a bit tired, and with the advantage of having played a game" VT, who obviously just proved they can beat us.