PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Virginia Tech (2/26 7 pm ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
02-25-2018, 02:14 PM
Discuss the game here.

84Duke
02-25-2018, 03:04 PM
VT almost certainly has to play better in Blacksburg than they did against us in Cameron. This team has some talent, and they are looking for every win they can headed to Selection Sunday. They are also the only team in the conference to beat UVA.

dukelifer
02-25-2018, 03:28 PM
Desperate VT team that has just played against the zone. This will be an interesting game. Have Bags back, although he may be a bit sore with the quick turnaround, will provide some different looks. But it is never easy to play up there. Need everyone to play well and take care of the ball. Expect a hard fought game.

DukieInBrasil
02-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Desperate VT team that has just played against the zone. This will be an interesting game. Have Bags back, although he may be a bit sore with the quick turnaround, will provide some different looks. But it is never easy to play up there. Need everyone to play well and take care of the ball. Expect a hard fought game.

quick turnaround indeed. However, even though VT just played us and saw the zone, i have to say that Duke has improved its zone defense a fair amount since we played them. We've held 4 strait teams to less than 58 pts, one of them being VT. We've also seen significant and sustained improvements from Bolden and DeLaurier during this stretch too, which can only bode well for Duke. Home court definitely gives them some advantages, but Duke also appears to have gotten over its early season road-game shell shock lately, at least somewhat.
I don't think that Duke will win by 22 like we did last time we faced them, but a 10+ win would not surprise me.

53n206
02-25-2018, 05:21 PM
An improvement in our 3s would go a long way in helping us win. Funny how in a short time we are not worrying bout our D.

Furniture
02-25-2018, 06:34 PM
I hope that this will be the game where both Grayson and Bags score well.

richardjackson199
02-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Vegas Line is Virginia Tech is favored by 1 point.

I think we all know this will be a very difficult game. We'll see a much tougher team than we saw in Cameron.

Ian
02-25-2018, 06:54 PM

I think we all know this will be a very difficult game. We'll see a much tougher team than we saw in Cameron.

The lines I've seen has it Duke -5.

subzero02
02-25-2018, 06:54 PM

No way we're underdogs in this game. Most sports books have us as 5.5 point favorites.

richardjackson199
02-25-2018, 06:59 PM
No way we're underdogs in this game. Most sports books have us as 5.5 point favorites.

ESPN usually posts Vegas line, so I don't know why they posted VTech -1

Maybe a mistake:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/date/20180226

subzero02
02-25-2018, 07:02 PM
ESPN usually posts Vegas line, so I don't know why they posted VTech -1

Maybe a mistake:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/date/20180226

That's what happens when you rely on ESPN as an information source ;-). They have every home team as 1 point favorites.

juise
02-25-2018, 07:06 PM
That's what happens when you rely on ESPN as an information source ;-). They have every home team as 1 point favorites.

I noticed that too. I’ll take KU minus 1 at home, thank you very much. 😀

richardjackson199
02-25-2018, 07:09 PM
I noticed that too. I’ll take KU minus 1 at home, thank you very much. ��

Oh come on guys. It's all true! ESPN has it on good authority from a source from Mark Schlabach. I think he wiretapped the Vegas Oddsmaker. :p

CDu
02-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Yeah, ESPN doesn’t put real lines until the day before the games.

Billy Dat
02-25-2018, 07:31 PM
I feel like the Buzzard will have some effective schemes against our zone and I expect them to shoot well at home. I feel like this game is a huge test. Our defensive leap doesn’t feel completely real to me. It’s an irrational feeling, I want to believe.

I’d also would like to see if the rotation shows any signs of settling.

weezie
02-25-2018, 07:37 PM
vtech plays in a dreary, dark and stuffy auditorium. The sight lines are terrible and it is very hard to shoot threes in there. Sound thuds off the cement ceiling and back onto the floor like an anvil.

I don't think they will be sporting their pink unis tomorrow although they were a refreshing chance from the orange and maroon.

Tripping William
02-25-2018, 08:02 PM
I know there are differences, but, for me, this has the feel of the second 2010 game against Maryland.

Devilwin
02-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Better shoot better than we did against Syracuse. We need threes against these guys, so light it up.

22JumpShots
02-25-2018, 09:32 PM
I hope that this will be the game where both Grayson and Bags score well.

I'd rather that game be this Saturday. :D [Let Trent, Carter, and White have this one.]

22JumpShots
02-25-2018, 09:34 PM
vtech plays in a dreary, dark and stuffy auditorium.

Remember 2015? OT and only won by a bucket or two. Something about that place. BIG GIANT FANS sloooowwwly turning as well.

UrinalCake
02-25-2018, 09:56 PM
This is the definition of a trap game. Team is feeling good about themselves, short turnaround, playing on the road against a bubble team fighting for their lives, with UNC just around the corner. Gonna be a nail-biter. I'll be happy with a win no matter how it comes.

Ian
02-25-2018, 11:07 PM
Not that worried about this game. VTech doesn't have a big home court advantage, they are 5-3 on the road in the ACC but only 4-4 at home, only team other than UVA that has a better road record than home record.

Duke is a terrible match up for them because their only strength is ability to get to the basket. But Duke negates that by being the best at defending the 2 pt shot in the ACC and among the best at blocking shots. VTech's 3PT shooting percentage is mostly based on lousy OOC opponents, in ACC play they shoot a middling 36% from 3.

VTech's weakness is defending the 2, the have no size and allow one of the highest 2PT shooting % in the league and they are last in the ACC in blocking shots, so I expect Carter and Bagley to have a field day. Their lack of size also results in them being a terrible rebounding team, the worst offensive rebounding team in the ACC and a not as awful but still bad defensive rebounding team.

Frankly what happened 2 weeks ago is about what one would expect to happen in the matchup between these 2 teams, VTech shot 35% from 3 which about their average in ACC play, and 43% from 2 which is what Duke has allowed from 2 all season long. Duke killed them on the boards 34-18 which is what you'd expect also. The only thing that Duke probably won't do is shoot 45% from 3 again, but they'll rebound a lot of those misses and turn them into putbacks and dunks. So although the margin will be closer, I would be surprised if VTech can keep it within 10.

DukeBlue666s
02-25-2018, 11:22 PM
Duke - 84
Tech - 67

Duke is very very confident right now!

bigperm13
02-26-2018, 12:06 AM
I believe the fact that VT is gonna be uber-amped for this game (team and crowd) and the home court advantage are trumped by Bags. 27 dunks by Duke in the last 2 games and VT has only one true big guy to now contain Carter AND Bagley? AND Bolden, making the most out of his set ~15 minutes a game by K. AND DeLaurier who has been great imo. They're gonna have to go all Boston College from December 30th to have a shot. While that is absolutely possible, I personally like our chances.

Devilwin
02-26-2018, 07:19 AM
You can throw out the ACC play stats. Mainly because the name "DUKE" is on our game jerseys. I suspect we'll win, but I feel it will be in the 7-9 point range.
And, we had better, as I said before, find the 3 point stroke again.

gofurman
02-26-2018, 09:37 AM
You can throw out the ACC play stats. Mainly because the name "DUKE" is on our game jerseys. I suspect we'll win, but I feel it will be in the 7-9 point range.
And, we had better, as I said before, find the 3 point stroke again.

no jinx

Troublemaker
02-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Not that worried about this game. VTech doesn't have a big home court advantage, they are 5-3 on the road in the ACC but only 4-4 at home, only team other than UVA that has a better road record than home record.

You're correct that VaTech doesn't have a "big home court advantage," but it's still pretty good. Their HCA actually ranks right behind Duke/Cameron in kenpom's HCA rankings. We are 114th in the country, and the Hokies are 115th in the country. For subscribers, the HCA rankings are here: https://kenpom.com/hca.php

VTech's weakness is defending the 2, the have no size and allow one of the highest 2PT shooting % in the league and they are last in the ACC in blocking shots, so I expect Carter and Bagley to have a field day. Their lack of size also results in them being a terrible rebounding team, the worst offensive rebounding team in the ACC and a not as awful but still bad defensive rebounding team.

Some of this info might be outdated. Buzz has really changed the complexion of their defense for about a month now. If you watch Tony Bennett's press conference after UVA lost to VaTech, he says the Hokies did a great job plugging up the middle. Coach K's postgame presser after beating VaTech said much the same thing. VaTech is great at crowding the lane, so he told Grayson and Gray to be confident and shoot freely. We'll likely have to do the same today despite shooting so poorly against Syracuse. We'll have to take threes and make a decent amount to win because I do think our zone will hold down VaTech's offense on the other end.

If, on the other hand, we force bad entry passes into a crowded lane, turn the ball over, and ignite the Hokie's devastating transition game, we will lose.

If Duke's offense doesn't lose the game for us, then Duke's defense will win it for us.

Troublemaker
02-26-2018, 10:01 AM
no jinx

I am nervous, too. Whenever DBRers get confident about winning or even beating down a decent team (so no Pitt or Wake), we seem to lose.

FerryFor50
02-26-2018, 10:08 AM
"I'm not that worried." - Napoleon, before battle of Waterloo

"We will crush that rebel scum." - Darth Vader, before battle for the Death Star

"All he's got is a rock." - Goliath, during battle with David

Ian
02-26-2018, 10:11 AM
You're correct that VaTech doesn't have a "big home court advantage," but it's still pretty good. Their HCA actually ranks right behind Duke/Cameron in kenpom's HCA rankings. We are 114th in the country, and the Hokies are 115th in the country. For subscribers, the HCA rankings are here: https://kenpom.com/hca.php

Some of this info might be outdated. Buzz has really changed the complexion of their defense for about a month now. If you watch Tony Bennett's press conference after UVA lost to VaTech, he says the Hokies did a great job plugging up the middle. Coach K's postgame presser after beating VaTech said much the same thing. VaTech is great at crowding the lane, so he told Grayson and Gray to be confident and shoot freely. We'll likely have to do the same today despite shooting so poorly against Syracuse. We'll have to take threes and make a decent amount to win because I do think our zone will hold down VaTech's offense on the other end.

If, on the other hand, we force bad entry passes into a crowded lane, turn the ball over, and ignite the Hokie's devastating transition game, we will lose.

If Duke's offense doesn't lose the game for us, then Duke's defense will win it for us.

Oh I don't doubt VTech will try to pack it inside to try to stop Duke's bigs and hope for a bad shooting night from Duke. But I think the difference is UVA like VTech is also a terrible offensive rebounding team (3rd worst in the ACC). In the first game Duke rebounded 43% of its misses. If they do that again they can overcome a bad shooting game from the outside.

uh_no
02-26-2018, 10:45 AM

"We will crush that rebel scum." - Darth Vader, before battle for the Death Star

Clearly the empire was using the rebellion's raw, rather than adjusted offensive efficiency. Once adjusted, the rebellion puts up approximately one proton per platoon, or PPP, and the empire should have expected that despite having HCA, the rebellion had a fighting chance.

FerryFor50
02-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Clearly the empire was using the rebellion's raw, rather than adjusted offensive efficiency. Once adjusted, the rebellion puts up approximately one proton per platoon, or PPP, and the empire should have expected that despite having HCA, the rebellion had a fighting chance.

They also underestimated the rebellion's rebounding prowess once the 7 footer, Chewbacca, returned from injury.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-26-2018, 10:52 AM

The Empire was declared a "lock" as far back as mid-January.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-26-2018, 11:00 AM
You're correct that VaTech doesn't have a "big home court advantage," but it's still pretty good. Their HCA actually ranks right behind Duke/Cameron in kenpom's HCA rankings. We are 114th in the country, and the Hokies are 115th in the country. For subscribers, the HCA rankings are here: https://kenpom.com/hca.php.

I would respectfully posit that Virginia Tech has a big HCA when Duke comes to town. Like Miami, Florida State, BC, NC State and some other ACC schools, the HCA is not that material in most games, but the Duke game is an entirely different animal. Many of these teams rarely sell out, but always for Duke. This will be a wild, hostile, loud environment, count on it.

Chard
02-26-2018, 11:03 AM
I know there are differences, but, for me, this has the feel of the second 2010 game against Maryland.

I had the same thought.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-26-2018, 11:13 AM
I had the same thought.

Was that the Zoub game in College Park? I guess that does make sense.....hope you're right and it leads to same conclusion....

Tripping William
02-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Was that the Zoub game in College Park?

The Zoub breakout game was the first match-up in Durham. The later match-up, in College Park, was a 79-72 Duke loss right before the 82-50 Carolina game, with Greivis Vasquez hitting a circus bank-shot late in the game (two of his 20 points that night). Duke didn't lose the rest of the year.

fuse
02-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Duke needs to be hungrier fighting for a one seed than a team desperate for tournament relevance.

Going to be a tough game.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-26-2018, 11:27 AM
The Zoub breakout game was the first match-up in Durham. The later match-up, in College Park, was a 79-72 Duke loss right before the 82-50 Carolina game, with Greivis Vasquez hitting a circus bank-shot late in the game (two of his 20 points that night). Duke didn't lose the rest of the year.

Funny how I got those games mixed up.....Zoub did have a nice game at College Park, with 13 rebs, but he went 16 and 17 in Durham. Maybe his best game ever.

Now, would he have made that second FT against Butler? (I think intentional miss was the right decision - it only almost backfired because the ball bounced right to Heyward who made the perfect play (and Singler was crushed with no call).

MChambers
02-26-2018, 11:28 AM

I'd be fine with a loss tonight if it was the last of the year.

Rich
02-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Nah, the UNCheat game in Chapel Hill was our last loss of the year.

Lar77
02-26-2018, 11:50 AM
I hate the VT game there. We have had trouble in Cassel in the past. They are a good team and play hard.

Win or lose doesn't matter as much as how we play this game. Our defense has been getting better each game, and I agree with the other posters that communication seems to be key. I've given up trying to define our zone. It generally is a 2-3 base, but with a lot of movement and adjustment (Tark the Shark?)

Our team will go as far as our defense is effective. We overcame 2-18 shooting from 3 against Syracuse. Usually, that is a loss. But we found a way to score enough (thank you for good free throw shooting from our big guys) AND held them to 44 points (with 2 late 3s). I expect teams will continue to be physical with us so FT is very important.

The line was 5.5. I expect we should win by more than that.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-26-2018, 11:51 AM
I hate the VT game there. We have had trouble in Cassel in the past. They are a good team and play hard.

Win or lose doesn't matter as much as how we play this game. Our defense has been getting better each game, and I agree with the other posters that communication seems to be key. I've given up trying to define our zone. It generally is a 2-3 base, but with a lot of movement and adjustment (Tark the Shark?)

Our team will go as far as our defense is effective. We overcame 2-18 shooting from 3 against Syracuse. Usually, that is a loss. But we found a way to score enough (thank you for good free throw shooting from our big guys) AND held them to 44 points (with 2 late 3s). I expect teams will continue to be physical with us so FT is very important.

The line was 5.5. I expect we should win by more than that.

Far as I could tell, we were 9 for 40 on all 'non dunk' shots.

evrim
02-26-2018, 11:54 AM
I expect a very physical game where they will be holding and grabbing Carter and Bagly all the time. If they call those and/or we play through that, we will win. If not, we will have a long night. Hitting our threes will certainly also.open up the inside. Not sure why Duval takes so many of the threes.

BD80
02-26-2018, 11:56 AM

"They're shooting arrows, we're shooting bullets." - Gen. G. A. Custer

"Worried? Are you serious? Have you seen his hair?" - H.R. Clinton

rocketeli
02-26-2018, 12:12 PM
I'd love a blowout, but a close game or even a loss wouldn't surprise me. Young team, short turnaround, road game, overconfident because we whipped them the first game. VT's home court is not a shooter's gym. (Of course, neither was Cameron, apparently, last game.) One thing in our favor--if the refs adhere to the "only a moderate amount of blood/no foul" style of calling we've seen lately, it will help us, because VT is tiny.

kako
02-26-2018, 12:39 PM
This is the definition of a trap game. Team is feeling good about themselves, short turnaround, playing on the road against a bubble team fighting for their lives, with UNC just around the corner. Gonna be a nail-biter. I'll be happy with a win no matter how it comes.

So happy to read this: "We can't fall into that trap of being happy about this (Syracuse) game and not be ready to go (Monday night)," Allen said. "It's important that we recover and get ready for that. We have to take care of business there."

https://sports.yahoo.com/bagley-back-surging-no-5-duke-visits-virginia-191920035--ncaab.html

Seems to me Allen's leadership has stepped up a lot lately. Or at least TV is capturing it more, making it more visible to the viewing audience.

As a fan looking ahead, Duke also needs to win to maintain the #2 seed and avoid the late game in the ACC tourney. Carolina losing to Miami this week would make things much easier (assuming Duke wins tonight). So the game's pretty important.

9F

Chard
02-26-2018, 12:51 PM

After that game I felt so confident in Duke's chances at the NC. Greivis rode the crowd figuratively and literally.

"Playing a big-time game like this was good for both teams," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "Our guys were in a position to win the game. I'm proud of that.

"It was tough because it was a game where we played well. It wasn't a game when we played bad or played stupid. It wasn't like that. This wasn't a game where bad stuff happened." (http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/300620120)

Same here. It won't be easy but Duke should win this one.

No, Duke beat UNCheat 82-50 (http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/300650150) at Duke for the season sweep.

Tripping William
02-26-2018, 01:06 PM

No, Duke beat UNCheat 82-50 (http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/300650150) at Duke for the season sweep.

I believe Rich was being predictive about this season, not factual about 2010.

MChambers
02-26-2018, 01:09 PM

Pretty sure Rich was talking about this season. I’m always happy to be reminded of 82-50, however.

hudlow
02-26-2018, 01:18 PM
As long as we're wishing...

I hope the loss at the dump is our last loss of the season.

Chard
02-26-2018, 01:46 PM
I believe Rich was being predictive about this season, not factual about 2010.

Thank you. I knew as I typed I was missing something.

ndkjr70
02-26-2018, 02:12 PM

“Differences” is an understatement. That was a 12-3 top-20 Maryland team with (about to be named) ACC PoY leading the way. This is a 9-7 borderline NCAAT team.

It’s a road game in the penultimate ACC schedule before a home game against UNC, but I see very little similarity past that. If we lose tonight it’s because we a) got spooked by the crowd or b) looked past VT, but this is a team Duke should beat handedly.

Tripping William
02-26-2018, 02:35 PM
“Differences” is an understatement. That was a 12-3 top-20 Maryland team with (about to be named) ACC PoY leading the way. This is a 9-7 borderline NCAAT team.

It’s a road game in the penultimate ACC schedule before a home game against UNC, but I see very little similarity past that. If we lose tonight it’s because we a) got spooked by the crowd or b) looked past VT, but this is a team Duke should beat handedly.

I agree that 2010 Maryland was pretty clearly a better club than 2018 VaTech. Still, we beat that Maryland squad by 21 points at home in the first match-up. We beat VPI by 22 points in this year's first match-up. The 2010 team was on an 8-game winning streak, after going 2-2 in the previous four. The 2018 team is on a 5-game winning streak, after going 1-3 in the previous four. The 2010 team had just beaten UVa in a low-scoring, 66-49 affair. The 2018 team did what it did against Syracuse. We lost on Senior Night in College Park. Guess what tonight is in Blacksburg? The Terp crowd was keyed-up for us. The Hokie crowd is going to absolutely be keyed-up for us.

I think we win this one, but I thought we'd beat the Terps, too.

Zooks
02-26-2018, 03:11 PM
...Our defense has been getting better each game, and I agree with the other posters that communication seems to be key. I've given up trying to define our zone. It generally is a 2-3 base, but with a lot of movement and adjustment (Tark the Shark?)

A few games back my wife commented on how much more communicative, focused and cohesive Duke has been on D since committing to zone. She said they looked like an amoeba out there. Made me snort my IPA.

FerryFor50
02-26-2018, 03:26 PM
"They're shooting arrows, we're shooting bullets." - Gen. G. A. Custer

"Worried? Are you serious? Have you seen his hair?" - H.R. Clinton

“I think there is a world market for about five computers.” - Thomas Watson, IBM 1943

tux
02-26-2018, 03:38 PM
I agree that 2010 Maryland was pretty clearly a better club than 2018 VaTech. Still, we beat that Maryland squad by 21 points at home in the first match-up. We beat VPI by 22 points in this year's first match-up. The 2010 team was on an 8-game winning streak, after going 2-2 in the previous four. The 2018 team is on a 5-game winning streak, after going 1-3 in the previous four. The 2010 team had just beaten UVa in a low-scoring, 66-49 affair. The 2018 team did what it did against Syracuse. We lost on Senior Night in College Park. Guess what tonight is in Blacksburg? The Terp crowd was keyed-up for us. The Hokie crowd is going to absolutely be keyed-up for us.

I think we win this one, but I thought we'd beat the Terps, too.

A big difference: The 2010 team was an older, more experienced bunch by far...

VT is going to fight hard, given the stakes for them and a home game on senior night. This will be a test for our young team IMO. And it's good b/c after finally being healthy and having played a game w/ Bagley back, this will be a good measuring stick for where the team is in terms of maturity.

I'd obviously love for Duke to win, but I'll primarily be looking to see if our D continues to improve (or at least doesn't regress) and how Grayson/Bagley play on offense.

I'd expect our 3 point shooting to revert to something closer to the mean, but I hope we don't force a lot of perimeter shots --- our advantages inside are considerable.

weezie
02-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Remember 2015? OT and only won by a bucket or two. Something about that place. BIG GIANT FANS sloooowwwly turning as well.

Haha, I forgot the fans. I imagine they are coated in crud from 1935 or so.

907bluedevils
02-26-2018, 03:51 PM
I'm assuming Bagley will be back in the starting 5

-jk
02-26-2018, 06:29 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

uh_no
02-26-2018, 07:10 PM
any word on duval?

BigZ
02-26-2018, 07:16 PM
Just a lineup change

Acymetric
02-26-2018, 07:25 PM
Jack! Good thing it's not President's Day!

UrinalCake
02-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Good grief, Buzz has already sweated through his shirt. He’s entering Gary Williams territory.

sagegrouse
02-26-2018, 07:27 PM
Aarrggghhhh!!! And ESPN takes away one-half of my screen to show Joe Lunardi!!

curtis325
02-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Nice use of the glass on Jack White's three ball!

Eternal Outlaw
02-26-2018, 07:35 PM
Wish the refs would call fouls on displacing our bigs when they jump. Carter was put behind the board on a catch and Bagley got knocked back a good foot and ended up shooting short. Refs are so focused on arms and hands they don't seem to ever see them getting bumped off balance with the legs, hips, and lower torso.

karmacoma
02-26-2018, 07:39 PM
Fugly five minute stretch here. C'mon, fellas.

Kjeffrey
02-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Fugly five minute stretch here. C'mon, fellas.

Seems more than worthy of a TO but apparently not

Mak P
02-26-2018, 07:41 PM
I don't like Bagley and Carter on at the same time as the season went on. There's no spacing

karmacoma
02-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Seems more than worthy of a TO but apparently not

There it is, about 2 minutes too late.

UrinalCake
02-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Interesting time to take Grayson out. VT on a huge run, Grayson comes out, run keeps going.

kmspeaks
02-26-2018, 07:43 PM
Wish the refs would call fouls on displacing our bigs when they jump. Carter was put behind the board on a catch and Bagley got knocked back a good foot and ended up shooting short. Refs are so focused on arms and hands they don't seem to ever see them getting bumped off balance with the legs, hips, and lower torso.

UVA wouldn't be able to finish a game with 5 guys on the floor.

karmacoma
02-26-2018, 07:47 PM
10 straight empty trips. My god.

gocanes0506
02-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Everyone on Duke have 2 fouls?

karmacoma
02-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Disastrous 9 minutes. Lucky to still be ahead.

arnie
I like Dakich, but those were strong comments on Bagley.

WHOneedsSOX
So what's everyone's thoughts on this espn announcer saying Bagley is selfish and all about himself? Said he doesn't pass and doesn't play defense. Now the other guy is saying he likes Carter better than Bagley.

karmacoma
02-26-2018, 07:52 PM
GREAT ball movement there.

gocanes0506
02-26-2018, 07:52 PM
Anyone not listening to ESPN. Announcer just said Duke is better without MBIII because he is all about him. When he gets the ball, it doesn’t leave.

karmacoma
02-26-2018, 07:53 PM
So what's everyone's thoughts on this espn announcer saying Bagley is selfish and all about himself? Said he doesn't pass and doesn't play defense. Now the other guy is saying he likes Carter better than Bagley.

Unfair. But Bags isn't 100% back.

gocanes0506
02-26-2018, 07:54 PM
/sarcasm Having MBIII back wouldn’t be so bad if he wasn’t a hex to our shooters.

karmacoma
02-26-2018, 07:55 PM
A Tale of Two Halves of a Half.

Unrelated, I like Buzz. Coach's coach.

Mak P
02-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Allen is 3-11, I'm tired of seeing him throwing up bricks particularly from 3

CDu
02-26-2018, 07:57 PM

Dakich’s comments were BS. I have no respect for that.

The other announcer’s comment about Carter was just a tagalong, so I don’t mind it. I love Carter, he is really darn good too. But Dakich was WAY out of line.

WHOneedsSOX
02-26-2018, 07:57 PM
Unfair. But Bags isn't 100% back.

I think he is a bit selfish but I don't think it's because he's a selfish person. I think he's just always been "the guy" and has always been better than everyone else so that's just part of his game right now. He's not this selfish guy who's playing only for himself and his draft stock but he also doesn't know how to play a team game consistently in my opinion.

Mak P
02-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Blaming on Bagley is lazy commentating. I said it a few posts back, Carter and Bagley need to rotate during the middle of the game. They can start and maybe end, but with them two together the spacing is terrible and paint is crowded. Coach K need to recognize this

thedukelamere
02-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Dakich went to my alma mater (high school) and graduated with one of my uncles. I’ve had the chance to shoot the breeze with him a few times. All and all a pretty cool dude.

Saying what he said, about an 18 year old, on national television, is pretty disgusting.

Mak P
02-26-2018, 08:00 PM
If the offense is designed to run through you, what you expect Bagley to do? Get 10 assists like he's lebron james or something

WHOneedsSOX
Blaming on Bagley is lazy commentating. I said it a few posts back, Carter and Bagley need to rotate during the middle of the game. They can start and maybe end, but with them two together the spacing is terrible and paint is crowded. Coach K need to recognize this
There's absolutely no space when Bagley, Carter and Duval or DeLaurier are out there.

ncexnyc
I like Dakich, but those were strong comments on Bagley.

Strong comments indeed. I think his observations are spot on as far as MBIII being the proverbial black hole, but I attribute that to MBIII being a very young player and not because he's selfish.

BigZ
Prob is Bagley isn't dominating like earlier in the season. Nobody said anything when those same shots went in

arnie
02-26-2018, 08:01 PM

Not just Allen, Trent is just as cold. Will need to get out of this 2-game shooting funk on Saturday.

Kjeffrey
02-26-2018, 08:02 PM

I think they were somewhat harsh words but there is some validity to his comments. Bagley is very talented and does a lot of great things on the court but there is some room for improvement.

BigZ
02-26-2018, 08:03 PM
Bagley is the new Oak. Dominant earlier in the season and guaranteed 1 pick then falls drastically

InSpades
02-26-2018, 08:03 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a problem of Bagley + Carter. But right now we are struggling w/ Bags + Carter + a non-shooter (Duval, Delaurier, White). Bagley and Carter should be feasting w/ the size advantage down low but VA Tech is doing a nice job helping and doubling when it does inside.

I wouldn't call Bagley selfish at all. He's just not very good at the things that people see as "unselfish" (mainly defense and passing). He's an amazing rebounder at both ends of the floor. That doesn't scream selfish to me. Does he try to score when he gets the ball? Yes. Don't we want him to do that? Same thing can be said of Grayson (though Grayson is obviously a willing passer and a decent defender).

Our zone defense is great when we get set. We give up too much in transition and before we get set though. If we can clean that up a bit our defense would be even better. The difference between earlier in the year and now is like night and day though.

It's weird when we struggle offensively. We have so many offensively skilled players.

I would like to see a bit more Alex + Trent + Grayson + Carter + Bagley. Let's see them double off 1 of those 3.

Also interesting that they say our spacing is bad w/ 2 bigs... Carter has proven he can hit the open 3. Bagley has proven he's at least adequate. I think it's more that we don't move them around enough than anything else.

Still not a bad 1st half considering things didn't really go our way so far (aside from maybe the Jack White 3!).

BigZ
02-26-2018, 08:04 PM

He needs to keep shooting open shots.

bigperm13
02-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Dan Dakich is absolutely horrible. I'm putting the game on mute.

CDu
02-26-2018, 08:06 PM
A Tale of Two Halves of a Half.

Unrelated, I like Buzz. Coach's coach.

Williams is a heck of a coach. I had a feeling he would add some wrinkles to help his team the second time around.

jv001
Seth G. didn't bash Bags, but he did say he thinks the offense is better with only 1 big in the game. I don't think it's selfishness on Marvin's part, but a case of not passing the ball out of double teams. He tries to dribble out and get's in trouble. At times we went back to our old habit of forcing the ball into Marvin and Wendell. We also lost a couple of baskets when Javin couldn't hold onto the ball. VT giving Trevon and Javin open looks. GoDuke!

HereBeforeCoachK

I think the technical term is JACKA**

rsvman
02-26-2018, 08:07 PM
Bolden still acquittng himself well.

That was a bad non-slaught. Grayson's horrible passes on back-to-back possessions was the nadir of the half, imo.
Va Tech plays the tough m2m that Coach K would love to see from us. Our shooting will have to improve in the second half, and it should.

Kjeffrey
02-26-2018, 08:07 PM
I think he is a bit selfish but I don't think it's because he's a selfish person. I think he's just always been "the guy" and has always been better than everyone else so that's just part of his game right now. He's not this selfish guy who's playing only for himself and his draft stock but he also doesn't know how to play a team game consistently in my opinion.

Completely agree. However, at this point in the season I would like to see him pass more. I am not a stat person but there seemed to be more spacing and passing inside when he was injured. Maybe that is because the other two guys have more experience though.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Not just Allen, Trent is just as cold. Will need to get out of this 2-game shooting funk on Saturday.

Paging Alex, paging Alex....

arnie

Dakich will always have one redeeming quality- the 1984 shutdown.

CDu
I think they were somewhat harsh words but there is some validity to his comments. Bagley is very talented and does a lot of great things on the court but there is some room for improvement.

There is room for improvement, yes. But what Dakich said is that Bagley is “all about me.”

kmspeaks
02-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Agreed. I remember K talking about guys being guilty of "JJ watching" because Redick could just take over a game. Bagley has probably spent his life playing with teammates who did a lot of "Marvin watching." It takes time to learn to recognize a double and find the open man out of it or make good interior passes in a clogged lane. Just because Wendell is better at it right now doesn't mean Bagley is selfish.

Kjeffrey
Dakich made some strong statements about Bagley in Saturday's game too. He compared his defense to Jabari Parker. According to Dakich, Parker couldn't guard a chair and Bagley isn't much better. That seems worse than what he said tonight.

WHOneedsSOX
There is room for improvement, yes. But what Dakich said is that Bagley is “all about me.”

Yeah he made it sound like Bagley is knowingly sabotaging Duke in order to make himself look better.

jv001
02-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Williams is a heck of a coach. I had a feeling he would add some wrinkles to help his team the second time around.

I agree that guy can really coach. He's also made some in game adjustments that have worked as well. Got to get our offense working. Going 6 minutes without scoring let them back into the game. Need for Trevon to hit a couple more open 3s and make them guard him. GoDuke!

Dub
02-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Bashing an 18 year old college freshman on national TV is embarassing and unprofessional IMO. Critiquing a player is one thing but what Dakich did was bash him. I hope Marvin hears the comments about himself after the game and uses it as motivation moving forward. I’m completely disgusted.

BigZ
02-26-2018, 08:16 PM
I'd deaft Carter over Bagley tho

InSpades
02-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Bashing an 18 year old college freshman on national TV is embarassing and unprofessional IMO. Critiquing a player is one thing but what Dakich did was bash him. I hope Marvin hears the comments about himself after the game and uses it as motivation moving forward. I’m completely disgusted.

Agreed. Marvin took 7 shots in the 1st half? 2 of them were alley-oops and 1 was a put-back tip-in. What is he supposed to do w/ those balls?

He's not a good defender. This is true. That doesn't make him selfish. That makes him like most freshmen in the country.

JNort
02-26-2018, 08:20 PM

How do such ignorant people watch basketball.... astounding

BigZ
02-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Sounds like the announcer got a talking to at halftime. Now saying Duke needs to go through Bagley lol

bigperm13
02-26-2018, 08:21 PM
The officiating has been extremely mediocre. Downright awful actually.

Eternal Outlaw
02-26-2018, 08:22 PM

Listened to his and Seth's emergency podcast after the scandal broke. What a waste of time that was. Those two clearly had tight pants about the names in the report and of course couldn't help themselves saying Duke and Carter more than anyone else. What really was bad is that I only heard two players brought up that didn't have their name in the yahoo report and they were Bagley and Zion.

Mak P
02-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Duval can be very good defensively

rsvman
02-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Duvall gets the foul call when he wasn't even in the same postal code as the offensive player. Wow.

jipops
02-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Good to see the defense has picked it up by going zone. But the offense doesn't seem to be as efficient as it was in January.

How many more bad lobs?

Eternal Outlaw
02-26-2018, 08:29 PM
13-6 fouls, some offensive possessions they could call 6 fouls,

sbroc012
02-26-2018, 08:33 PM
I think they are making up fouls now. Geez

karmacoma
02-26-2018, 08:34 PM
I don't think anyone's going to be talking about how we played 40 minutes tonight.

rsvman
02-26-2018, 08:43 PM
The Slim Reaper with the clutch corner three!

godins
02-26-2018, 08:44 PM
I don't think anyone's going to be talking about how we played 40 minutes tonight.

Perhaps not, but we are playing away at VT on their senior night on short rest. I think we've shown some good moxie (recency bias, we're up 9 now after going on a mini-run). I'm interested to see how our effort level looks in the ACCT on zero rest, neutral court. I believe it'll be a more complete idea of how well (and how hard) this team will play in the NCAAT.

kmspeaks
02-26-2018, 08:45 PM
So if you want to watch a college basketball game you can listen to:
A) Vitale yammer on about who he had dinner with last week
B) Bilas alternate between telling you how smart he is and how evil the NCAA is
C) Walton's weed induced wonderings
D) Dakich whine about officials talking to K like they don't do the same for other coaches

Never watched the NBA, but I may have to start.

Sixthman
02-26-2018, 08:51 PM
D) Dakich whine about officials talking to K like they don't do the same for other coaches

Camera work is mediocre and replays and poor.

Mak P

I never heard an exclusive college fan say this lol

rsvman
That long three by hyphen guy was not a good omen.
We need to close this thing out.

aimo
02-26-2018, 08:52 PM

Like on Saturday, I couldn't tell what a call was, and Dickie was too busy talking about his new book to let us know what was happening. I sure do miss the days we could mute the TV and listen to the radio.

ChrisP
02-26-2018, 08:59 PM
Not Grayson's best game...

Mak P
02-26-2018, 09:00 PM
Wow that was a terrible make up call

curtis325
02-26-2018, 09:01 PM
Nice defensive effort but these turnovers may doom Duke.

rsvman
Wow that was a terrible make up call

Precisely. We got screwed. Nobody fouled Blackshear.

Acymetric
I sure don't like that guys hairstyle.

BigZ
The Freshman have been bad

Eternal Outlaw
02-26-2018, 09:03 PM
These refs suck

WHOneedsSOX
Why was Duval anywhere near the ball when Duke needs to make free throws?

subzero02
This is a slow train wreck....

ChrisP
02-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Why in the world would we inbound it to Duval there? Worst FT shooter on the floor. Why???

curtis325
02-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Flip a coin. Who wins?

subzero02
02-26-2018, 09:05 PM
Turnovers and free throws... free throws and turnovers

rsvman
Why was Duval even in the game?

karmacoma
Someone explain to me why that inbound play was designed for Trevon to get the ball. Cuz that strikes me as really, really dumb.

Eternal Outlaw
Screw job

Mak P
02-26-2018, 09:06 PM
Unbelievable man

DUKIE V(A)
Highway robbery.

Acymetric
Someone explain to me why that inbound play was designed for Trevon to get the ball. Cuz that strikes me as really, really dumb.

If anything he should have been the inbounder.

Kjeffrey
And there my friends goes a #1 seed.