PDA

View Full Version : Duke Football Offseason

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Avvocato
02-24-2018, 10:13 PM
Anyone know who we just reeled in? https://twitter.com/DavidCutcliffe/status/967591063534948356?s=20

budwom
02-24-2018, 10:23 PM
Anyone know who we just reeled in? https://twitter.com/DavidCutcliffe/status/967591063534948356?s=20

Jalen Alexander, big time defensive back with offers from Auburn, Oklahoma, Michigan St, Looeyville, among many others.

chrishoke
02-24-2018, 10:50 PM
Welcome Jalen. 17 total power 5 offers. I love recruits from Georgia.

CameronBornAndBred
02-24-2018, 11:11 PM
Bang Bang!! Nice bit of pre-Spring news :)
Practice starts in a couple weeks for the team?

Listen to Quants
02-24-2018, 11:34 PM
Jalen Alexander, big time defensive back with offers from Auburn, Oklahoma, Michigan St, Looeyville, among many others.

I've thought something like a "Sum ranking of the five best offers" would be an intresting way to look at football recruiting, and perhaps more predictive than the various star systems. This lad would have a nice score in that game. I'll add my "welcome" with bells on it.

OldPhiKap
02-25-2018, 06:18 AM
Not sure where to put this, so . . . .

Wallace Wade Avenue, Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Runs next to Bryant-Denny Stadium.

(I obviously was passed out on the lawn, hence the sideways photo)

Bob Green
02-25-2018, 06:34 AM
Great news to start off my Sunday. Welcome to Duke, Jalen Alexander.

budwom
02-25-2018, 07:52 AM
I've thought something like a "Sum ranking of the five best offers" would be an intresting way to look at football recruiting, and perhaps more predictive than the various star systems. This lad would have a nice score in that game. I'll add my "welcome" with bells on it.

I"ll take the importance of offer sheets any day over various star assessments. The guys who offer the scholarships are the true professionals. I'll take a three star kid with offers from
teams like Auburn, Oklahoma and Michigan State without question over a four star kid with lesser offers. Frequently the star system catches up with the offers anyway.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Bang Bang!! Nice bit of pre-Spring news :)
Practice starts in a couple weeks for the team?

March 20 is first day of spring practice.

CameronBornAndBred
02-25-2018, 06:17 PM
March 20 is first day of spring practice.

It is refreshing to have spring practice actually in the spring.

ehdg
02-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Great news to start off my Sunday. Welcome to Duke, Jalen Alexander.

Totally Agree Welcome Jalen and can't wait to get you on campus!!

johnb
02-25-2018, 11:50 PM
At a recent Pro Bowl, 35 players had been 2 or 3 star players in high school.
Aaron Rogers
Richard Sherman
Le'Veon Bell
Dak Prescott
Von Miller
Matt Ryan
etc etc

https://herosports.com/news/nfl-pro-bowl-players-3-star-college-football-recruits

chrishoke
03-04-2018, 08:35 AM
In the euphoria of last night - I was in Cameron and it was delicious - nobody has mentioned what an outstanding day Saturday was for Duke football. We received three outstanding commitments, all from in-state, one a four star running back and the other two are three star recruits! Go Devils!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-04-2018, 08:59 AM
In the euphoria of last night - I was in Cameron and it was delicious - nobody has mentioned what an outstanding day Saturday was for Duke football. We received three outstanding commitments, all from in-state, one a four star running back and the other two are three star recruits! Go Devils!

Well dadgum.....hadn't seen that.....great news indeed...thanks for sharing. :cool:

devildeac
03-04-2018, 10:21 AM

Well, who are they? ;)

We gotta work on Bob Green as he usually scoops everyone on this sort of good FB news. Bob musta been napping yesterday afternoon to rest up for the game last PM (chain-yanking here as I think Bob and his grandson were at the LAX match or maybe the baseball game :cool:.)

Bob Green
03-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Well, who are they? ;)

Look here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40461-2019-Football-Recruiting&p=1048259#post1048259

devildeac
03-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Look here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40461-2019-Football-Recruiting&p=1048259#post1048259

Shoot, too many football threads on Duke *Basketball* Report for me to follow. This thread was the first one I clicked on this AM. Forgive me for questioning/doubting you, sir. :o

Bob Green
03-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Baylor football back in the news:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/22760061/two-baylor-football-players-suspended-sexual-assault-allegations

Two Baylor football players have been suspended from the team because of allegations of sexual assault involving football players and female members of the university's equestrian team.

Duke travels to Waco to play Baylor on September 15.

PDDuke85
03-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Enjoyed "meeting Coach Goethie" via this brief interview with Dave Harding.
Welcome to Duke.
The Coach Cutcliffe tree looks like it's added a strong branch.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=6252848&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Bob Green
03-21-2018, 05:48 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211706775&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The Blue Devils return 16 starters and 48 lettermen from last year’s squad that went 7-6 and earned a 36-14 victory over Northern Illinois in the Quick Lane Bowl.

There are certainly question marks as Spring Practice commences, starting with the kicking game, but all Duke fans should be excited about the experience and talent on the roster in 2018.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2018, 06:57 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211706775&DB_OEM_ID=4200

There are certainly question marks as Spring Practice commences, starting with the kicking game, but all Duke fans should be excited about the experience and talent on the roster in 2018.

The path to a warm bowl next January starts with hard work today. Go get ‘em, men!

Avvocato
03-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks. Oddly, one of the things I'm most curious to see is how our co-defensive coordinators work together. I agree with the video. I think this season's Duke defense could be the best I can recall. I think with recruiting the last few seasons, with guys like Humphreys as a senior, Giles-Harris a R-Junior, and the rest of the defensive talent, I'm excited to see what they can do. On offense, Jones back for his third year as a starter gives Duke such an advantage. I think we have a great bunch of young talented running backs and tight ends. On offense, as always, the key will be the offensive line and the development of our wide receivers. Those will be the biggest areas to watch, in my opinion, this spring and into August. I'm all about March Madness right now, but I'm excited to follow the progress of the team.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2018, 03:54 PM
If we get the kicking game improved, everything else should be very good.

All subject to staying healthy of course, as with every sport.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2018, 04:08 PM

If everything else is very good, hopefully we don't have to rely on the kicking game. :rolleyes:;)

uh_no
03-21-2018, 04:08 PM

All subject to staying healthy of course, as with every sport.

my biggest concern stems from our biggest issue last year, will the staff put our players in a position to win? We obviously had some issues on the offensive side of the ball last year which were resolved down the stretch. Hopefully that trend continues. Obviously we have a big unknown on defense.

I give the program the benefit of the doubt, of course, but that doesn't mean it's not still an unknown and for me, concern.

TruBlu
03-21-2018, 04:18 PM
How much of our problems on offense can be attributed to the injury to D. Jones? Seems that the coaches intentionally got away from him running in order to protect him.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2018, 04:25 PM
my biggest concern stems from our biggest issue last year, will the staff put our players in a position to win? We obviously had some issues on the offensive side of the ball last year which were resolved down the stretch. Hopefully that trend continues. Obviously we have a big unknown on defense.

I give the program the benefit of the doubt, of course, but that doesn't mean it's not still an unknown and for me, concern.

How much of our problems on offense can be attributed to the injury to D. Jones? Seems that the coaches intentionally got away from him running in order to protect him.

Yeah, that was going to be my question TruBlu. The offense started great; had a swoon; and then recovered nicely. How much of that was due to injury as opposed to *{cough}* other *{odd}* issues *{playcalling, cough}* is not known to me. I would think that a hurt QB = more runs and not less, but whatever. Point being, as un_no states, the problem seems to have been addressed in one way or the other.

devildeac
03-21-2018, 04:28 PM
If everything else is very good, hopefully we don't have to rely on the kicking game. :rolleyes:;)

I dunno, I kinda like 6/6 or 7/7 PATs/game. :p

OldPhiKap
03-21-2018, 05:17 PM
I dunno, I kinda like 6/6 or 7/7 PATs/game. :p

And an equal number of kick=offs. ;-)

Bob Green
03-21-2018, 05:47 PM
How much of our problems on offense can be attributed to the injury to D. Jones?

One of the question marks in my mind is whether or not Daniel Jones is a consistent quarterback as a three year starter. He has been inconsistent for two straight seasons. Now there is an acceptable explanation for his inconsistency. As a freshman, he was unexpectedly thrust into the starting position, struggled early (completely understandable) followed by a solid second half of the season. In year two, he started and finished strong but was inconsistent during the six game losing streak in the middle of the season. He was hurt. We really don't know the details of his injury but it obviously affected his play.

In year three, and four but I don't want to get ahead of myself, Daniel Jones needs to stay healthy and be a consistent performer at quarterback.

devildeac
03-21-2018, 06:15 PM
And an equal number of kick=offs. ;-)

Yes, indeed. Driggers is a sophomore and I thought he did a very good job last year so I'll be happy to see him return.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Liking Coach Cut’s comments after practice yesterday, even if it was coach-talk. He praised the speed/athleticism of the team, and said there was competition at all spots. D line probably the deepest; O line unproven but there is talent. Said there was no complacency in the players, which may have crept in after the 2015 season and the Pinstripe Bowl win.

Also liking Ben Humphreys’ comment: “our goal every year is to win the ACC championship. This year, I think that’s a realistic goal.”

Should be a fun year with some big challenges on the schedule. LGD!!!

devildeac
03-22-2018, 09:13 AM
Liking Coach Cut’s comments after practice yesterday, even if it was coach-talk. He praised the speed/athleticism of the team, and said there was competition at all spots. D line probably the deepest; O line unproven but there is talent. Said there was no complacency in the players, which may have crept in after the 2015 season and the Pinstripe Bowl win.

Also liking Ben Humphreys’ comment: “our goal every year is to win the ACC championship. This year, I think that’s a realistic goal.”

Should be a fun year with some big challenges on the schedule. LGD!!!

Thank you, Coach Albert.

See y'all (or some of y'all;)) in Evanston in September.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2018, 09:54 AM
Thank you, Coach Albert.

See y'all (or some of y'all;)) in Evanston in September.

Agreed on Coach Albert.

May have to look into a Chicago trip in the early fall . . . .

devildeac
03-22-2018, 10:05 AM
Agreed on Coach Albert.

May have to look into a Chicago trip in the early fall . . . .

Duke football
Giordano's
Duke football
Sagegrouse
Duke football
Malnati's
Duke football
Architectural tour by boat and/or on foot
Duke football
Cubs (didn't check schedule)
Duke football
Chicago Botanical Gardens

Might keep you busy...

OldPhiKap
03-22-2018, 10:07 AM
Duke football
Giordano's
Duke football
Sagegrouse
Duke football
Malnati's
Duke football
Architectural tour by boat and/or on foot
Duke football
Cubs (didn't check schedule)
Duke football
Chicago Botanical Gardens

Might keep you busy...

What -- no brew pubs?

The deep dish pie in Detroit nearly killed me, not sure I can hit Giordano's -- even with a good cardiologist by my side.

(Looks like the Cubbies may be coming back into town on Monday, 9/10 but out of town before and on the football weekend)

budwom
03-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Gibson's steak house is quite an experience in Chicago. The NW trip is great, the fans are kind and hospitable, not like going to UCONN for example...

brlftz
03-22-2018, 10:24 AM
I would think that a hurt QB = more runs and not less, but whatever. .

He was talking about Jones running less.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2018, 10:38 AM
He was talking about Jones running less.

Gotcha. But my memory is that we went away from the backs as well. Paging Bob Green. . . .

Either way, Daniel can have a great year if he stays healthy. And if he is healthy, I like our chances for a warmer bowl than Detroit. (As fun as that was)

budwom
03-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Gotcha. But my memory is that we went away from the backs as well. Paging Bob Green. . . .

Either way, Daniel can have a great year if he stays healthy. And if he is healthy, I like our chances for a warmer bowl than Detroit. (As fun as that was)

your memory is correct, our offensive coordinator went on some sort of tangent during that bad stretch last year, forgetting about Brown and Wilson.
(I'm still irate about the Miami game call, march down the field running every which way, then go for an asinine pass on fourth and one).

Still not sure what we do about kickers...

Bob Green
03-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Paging Bob Green. . . .

your memory is correct, our offensive coordinator went on some sort of tangent during that bad stretch last year, forgetting about Brown and Wilson.

Replacing Wilson would seem like a tall task but Brittain Brown put up some impressive numbers last season. Brown will replace Wilson. The key will be a second (and perhaps third) running back emerging to complement Brown. Deon Jackson, Nico Pierre, Marvin Hubbard are guys to keep an eye on.

In 2017, Brown gained 701 yards rushing and had 161 yards receiving. His rushing yards were 3rd most by a player in the Coach Cutcliffe era behind Wilson (818 in 2017) and Thomas Sirk (803 in 2015). His receiving yards were 8th most by a running back in the Coach Cutcliffe era.

Brown should be a workhorse in 2018.

devildeac
03-23-2018, 09:15 AM
Replacing Wilson would seem like a tall task but Brittain Brown put up some impressive numbers last season. Brown will replace Wilson. The key will be a second (and perhaps third) running back emerging to complement Brown. Deon Jackson, Nico Pierre, Marvin Hubbard are guys to keep an eye on.

In 2017, Brown gained 701 yards rushing and had 161 yards receiving. His rushing yards were 3rd most by a player in the Coach Cutcliffe era behind Wilson (818 in 2017) and Thomas Sirk (803 in 2015). His receiving yards were 8th most by a running back in the Coach Cutcliffe era.

Brown should be a workhorse in 2018.

As one of the RB (Duncan?) said after a "u"nc (?) game when we gained 300+ yards on the ground: "Call it and haul it."

jimsumner
03-23-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm told there are only two position changes, at this point.

Zach Harmon has moved from guard to center, where he will start. No surprise. He's played lots of center.

And Mugula has moved from DE to become a 250-pound defensive tackle.

OL Reno Rosene and DT Quaven Ferguson have left the program and will look for grad-school landing spots. Rosene is on track to graduate in three years, which is commendable.

arnie
03-23-2018, 12:14 PM
I'm told there are only two position changes, at this point.

Zach Harmon has moved from guard to center, where he will start. No surprise. He's played lots of center.

And Mugula has moved from DE to become a 250-pound defensive tackle.

OL Reno Rosene and DT Quaven Ferguson have left the program and will look for grad-school landing spots. Rosene is on track to graduate in three years, which is commendable.

If special teams don’t kick us in the butt, this could be a very special Duke football team. I think 2nd or 3rd in Coastal; curious if prognosticators keep us out of the cellar.

Bob Green
03-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Saturday morning's practice was in full pads:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211707609&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Video (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6254224) including an interview with DT Edgar Cerenord.

Jim3k
03-24-2018, 05:44 PM

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211707609&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Video (http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6254224) including an interview with DT Edgar Cerenord.

Haven't heard/seen Cerenord on video before. I'm impressed with both his bearing and demeanor. Some of what he said, of course, is coachspeak, but he said it well. I liked it when he said he was feeling the heat (competition) from his behind. You don't get that candor often. Outside, he's a scary looking dude; inside he's a thoughtful young man. On the defensive line, he's a warrior and pretty difficult to push aside. I'm looking forward to his play in the fall.

chrishoke
03-24-2018, 05:46 PM

Thanks for linking that Bob. I'm very impressed with Edgar.

Devil549
03-25-2018, 10:55 AM
Talent level has been improved, depth increased and defense improved so Duke is competitive in the Coastal and ACC.

We need to enjoy the next several seasons until Coach Cut retires and our AD makes a very important hire.

GO DUKE!!!

Bob Green
03-25-2018, 11:55 AM
We need to enjoy the next several seasons until Coach Cut retires and our AD makes a very important hire.

Coach Cutcliffe is only 63 (September 16, 1954) so it is way too early to bring up retirement.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Coach Cutcliffe is only 63 (September 16, 1954) so it is way too early to bring up retirement.

Cut is exactly 4 months younger than I am. Unless I win the Powerball (or MegaMillions) jackpot, I'm decades away from retirement! Hopefully, Cut is too! LGD! GTHc!

budwom
03-25-2018, 03:34 PM
I am putting together a proposal for Coach Cut in which I fly a Duke dirigible over New England small college campuses looking for the next Steven Hauschka (first a kicker at Middlebury, then NC State, then the NFL.......should be able to do it for a reasonable labor rate plus appropriate benefits...

Bob Green
03-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Spring Football Notebook:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211707853&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Running backs coach Re'quan Boyette comments on Brittain Brown:

We’re trying to take his game to the next level. He is unique because he has played only one year. He’s still very, very young in this process. The question is how much better can he be in his details? He should be able to play at a high level. We call it our PhD level. He should be able to take everything in his game from the playbook, to the details, to the fundamentals to the next level.

I realize I am repeating myself, but it is a message board, Brittain Brown should be a work horse in 2018. He has the potential to be a real star at running back.

The article also has comments and observations on other players such as Edgar Cerenord and Mark Gilbert. Okay folks, let's talk some football! :cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
03-26-2018, 05:22 PM

63 is getting bigger and bigger in my windshield.......and seeming younger and younger!

I will say this....their late season recovery was incredibly important and necessary. Cut can rock for a while at his age, but I don't think we needed to face the mountain of back to back 4-8s with a 63 year old coach. He has worked so hard and done such an amazing job transforming the FB culture at Duke, but another 4-8 would've eroded a lot of that momentum. I think 7-6 was an under perform last year, but since it ended with 3 straight, they are now on the momentum train again.

Lot of promise this season (though I will miss Knowles, who I hold in the highest esteem).

rtnorthrup
03-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Spring Football Notebook:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211707853&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Running backs coach Re'quan Boyette comments on Brittain Brown:

I realize I am repeating myself, but it is a message board, Brittain Brown should be a work horse in 2018. He has the potential to be a real star at running back.

The article also has comments and observations on other players such as Edgar Cerenord and Mark Gilbert. Okay folks, let's talk some football! :cool:

The only thing that could conceivably keep this from happening is Cut's propensity to spread the carries around. But I agree with you, Brown is just different than other RBs we have had in the past.

Bob Green
03-26-2018, 06:44 PM
The only thing that could conceivably keep this from happening is Cut's propensity to spread the carries around. But I agree with you, Brown is just different than other RBs we have had in the past.

I'm certain Coach Cutcliffe will use at least two backs but Brown has that great combination of size and speed which could propel him toward being special. I believe Brown could see the most carries any individual running back has seen at Duke in recent years. He carried the ball 130 times as a freshman in the second running back role.

Here is the last five years:

2017: Shaun Wilson - 162
2016:Shaun Wilson - 151
2015: Shaq Powell - 125
2014: Shaq Powell - 134
2013: Jela Duncan - 113

These numbers do not include quarterbacks.

chrishoke
03-28-2018, 11:00 AM
Bang bang Duke gang! Duke gets a comit from a four star WR who is 6-4. Can't link

HereBeforeCoachK
03-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Bang bang Duke gang! Duke gets a comit from a four star WR who is 6-4. Can't link

We need all of those we can get.....WR's who can A: go up and out jump and out reach d-backs for those 50/50 balls.....and B: who can fly and stretch the defense. My biggest disappointment in Duke last season was the lack of developing either. Am glad to hear about two good WR recruits, and fairly happy the WR coach from last year was re-assigned......

RepoMan
03-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Here's a link: https://247sports.com/Article/Eli-Pancol-commits-to-Duke-Blue-Devils-116757787

Great class so far!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Here's a link: https://247sports.com/Article/Eli-Pancol-commits-to-Duke-Blue-Devils-116757787

Great class so far!

GOOD LORD.....#9 recruiting class in the nation and #2 in the ACC thus far? I mean, I know it's early, but I don't think Ive EVER heard of Duke FB recruiting being like that. Thanx for posting.

Acymetric
03-28-2018, 02:29 PM
GOOD LORD...#9 recruiting class in the nation and #2 in the ACC thus far? I mean, I know it's early, but I don't think Ive EVER heard of Duke FB recruiting being like that. Thanx for posting.

Almost entirely because we have 7 commits where the teams behind us have 5 or less, but still very cool! FWIW, we have been similarly high (maybe not quite this high) in previous years because we tend to lock in more guys early, then the other teams catch up as things go on. We also typically have smaller classes than most schools (less attrition), so where our class is overvalued early due to number of commits we tend to be undervalued in the end for the same reason.

That said, this is shaping up to be a great class, and this WR is a big pickup!

ETA: By average rating we would be 4th in the ACC (just a hair ahead of 5th place Louisville). No energy to check the averages nationwide. Feature request for 247 - allow sorting the teams by average rating!

jimsumner
03-28-2018, 09:47 PM
From Duke press release.

"Duke freshman offensive tackle Patrick Leitten will be out of action indefinitely after suffering a left knee injury during Monday’s practice, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday.

Surgery is scheduled for Friday, March 30, and the procedure to repair ligament damage will be performed by Dr. Annunziato Amendola of the Duke Sports Science Institute."

This may not seem like a big deal. But Duke lost Gabe Brandner, Evan Lisle, Sterling Korona and Reno Rosene from the OT cohort. Leitten and Jake Rimmer are redshirt freshmen. This might open the door for true freshman Casey Holoman, who enrolled early. But Duke is down to five offensive tackles. Hopefully, he can get healthy by August.

Avvocato
03-29-2018, 12:08 AM
From Duke press release.

"Duke freshman offensive tackle Patrick Leitten will be out of action indefinitely after suffering a left knee injury during Monday’s practice, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday.

Surgery is scheduled for Friday, March 30, and the procedure to repair ligament damage will be performed by Dr. Annunziato Amendola of the Duke Sports Science Institute."

This may not seem like a big deal. But Duke lost Gabe Brandner, Evan Lisle, Sterling Korona and Reno Rosene from the OT cohort. Leitten and Jake Rimmer are redshirt freshmen. This might open the door for true freshman Casey Holoman, who enrolled early. But Duke is down to five offensive tackles. Hopefully, he can get healthy by August.

Seems like a big deal to me. Hope he’s okay and gets well soon. Offensive tackles are not positions where you typically want inexperienced guys playing.

martydoesntfoul
03-29-2018, 12:47 AM
Another piece of unfortunate news, but fortunately doesn’t affect next year’s team. Kind of mind-blowing when you think about it.

https://es.pn/2GSzyU0

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2018, 08:27 AM
Another piece of unfortunate news, but fortunately doesn’t affect next year’s team. Kind of mind-blowing when you think about it.

Wow...blown futures.

jimsumner
03-29-2018, 02:28 PM

Wow.

Ferguson was looking for a grad-school landing spot.

I guess that ship sailed without him.

Bob Green
03-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Coach Cutcliffe interview:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6255085

Focused on team work in fifth practice. Defense a little ahead of offense.

Talked about offensive line - Robert Kraeling and Rak Chambers are the 1s on the right side. Their physicality is impressive. Zach Harmon at center. He stated there is a lot of competition on the left side of the line and where there is competition there is opportunity to get better. Christian Harris is working as the 1 at left tackle.

Johnathan Lloyd was praised as the guy having the best start so far. He had a great off season. Lloyd is quicker and more explosive.

Talked about competition at tight end and receiver. Coaching staff is tracking numbers for successful contested catches and achieving separation. One statistic that really matters - points per game - for winning games. Catches are great, first downs are great but you have to be a points producer.

This is a solid 5 minute interview with good information and a little coach speak.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2018, 03:54 PM
Talked about competition at tight end and receiver. Coaching staff is tracking numbers for successful contested catches and achieving separation. Catches are great, first downs are great but you have to be a points producer.

AMEN
and
AMEN.

richmclean
03-29-2018, 06:44 PM
So in the photo in said goduke.com article is the DB offsides? Feet onsides, head in neutral zone.

Offsides, right?

devildeac
04-04-2018, 08:12 AM
From another Duke spring sport:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article207718359.html

The new WR coach has an interesting past. Amusing stuff:

“Being raised a Kentucky boy,” Duke wide receivers coach Gerad Parker said, “you were raised, essentially, to not like Duke. That was ingrained in you.”

Break out year maybe? Yes, please:

"Parker said redshirt sophomore Scott Bracey is having a strong camp. At 6-2, 210 pounds, the former four-star recruit from Richmond caught only eight passes last season.

“I think more than anything he just has to keep on stacking practices where he’s getting better,” Parker said. “He’s learning to do that and caring to do that. I think if he frees his mind up and does those things, he’ll be in great shape.”

HereBeforeCoachK
04-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Break out year maybe? Yes, please:

"Parker said redshirt sophomore Scott Bracey is having a strong camp. At 6-2, 210 pounds, the former four-star recruit from Richmond caught only eight passes last season.

“I think more than anything he just has to keep on stacking practices where he’s getting better,” Parker said. “He’s learning to do that and caring to do that. I think if he frees his mind up and does those things, he’ll be in great shape.”

The WRs in general, and the lack of production from Bracey in particular, were big disappointments last season. Hence the coaching change related to this position I'm sure. Cut talked about 50-50 balls, but those were more like 5-95 balls for us. As 6-2 and a good athlete, Bracey should improve this situation.

There were very few explosives as well. Hopefully that redshirt frosh can take the top off the defenses and open it up for everybody else.

On another note - which maybe someone around DBR can enlighten me on (I was not here for last FB season) - is Quentin Harris so far behind Daniel that a severely injured Daniel is a better option at QB? Apparently DJ was really beat up more than was known publicly until after the season...and I'm thinking a healthy Harris must be better than a beat up Jones - who can't throw or run like Daniel due to those injuries.

Maybe Harris was injured too, I don't know...but if anyone around here in the know can elaborate on this I'd appreciate it.

Avvocato
04-04-2018, 10:17 AM
The WRs in general, and the lack of production from Bracey in particular, were big disappointments last season. Hence the coaching change related to this position I'm sure. Cut talked about 50-50 balls, but those were more like 5-95 balls for us. As 6-2 and a good athlete, Bracey should improve this situation.

There were very few explosives as well. Hopefully that redshirt frosh can take the top off the defenses and open it up for everybody else.

On another note - which maybe someone around DBR can enlighten me on (I was not here for last FB season) - is Quentin Harris so far behind Daniel that a severely injured Daniel is a better option at QB? Apparently DJ was really beat up more than was known publicly until after the season...and I'm thinking a healthy Harris must be better than a beat up Jones - who can't throw or run like Daniel due to those injuries.

Maybe Harris was injured too, I don't know...but if anyone around here in the know can elaborate on this I'd appreciate it.

I don't know what Harris' health was last season, but even if healthy, you still have to ride with DJ as your quarterback. His health clearly impacted his play, but he was apparently healthy enough to play. As has been much debated on these boards, people had more of an issue (as I did) on how they called offensive plays with an apparently injured Jones than the fact that he was playing at all. I don't think Harris was the answer. Just my take.

Acymetric
04-04-2018, 10:40 AM
I don't know what Harris' health was last season, but even if healthy, you still have to ride with DJ as your quarterback. His health clearly impacted his play, but he was apparently healthy enough to play. As has been much debated on these boards, people had more of an issue (as I did) on how they called offensive plays with an apparently injured Jones than the fact that he was playing at all. I don't think Harris was the answer. Just my take.

Right, for some reason when Jones was playing hurt we went away from the run game! I have seen it suggested that the coaches might have felt we couldn't run the read option with Jones' injury, and wouldn't be able to run the ball effectively without it. It is the only line of thought that could explain the way we called plays during that stretch of games (open to other possibilities if anyone wants to throw one out there), but of course that would seem to be terrible logic so it seems like it must have been something else...

budwom
04-04-2018, 01:11 PM
There is also the theory that Cut was, to some extent, covering for Jones. I'm highly impressed the way Cut runs his program, but if your QB is injured, you absolutely have to have a backup QB who can take some snaps...Harris took essentially none. In previous years Boehme had a few decent performances, yet he didn't get on the field either. Last year was a bit odd in a lot of respects.

Looking forward to this year, I am hopeful that changes at WR and OL coaching will bear fruit, and that our OC will grow in his job.

Bob Green
04-04-2018, 03:36 PM
From GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211708954

Some good discussion about the defensive line in this Spring Practice update article.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-04-2018, 05:03 PM
I'm highly impressed the way Cut runs his program, but if your QB is injured, you absolutely have to have a backup QB who can take some snaps...Harris took essentially none. In previous years Boehme had a few decent performances, yet he didn't get on the field either. Last year was a bit odd in a lot of respects.

Looking forward to this year, I am hopeful that changes at WR and OL coaching will bear fruit, and that our OC will grow in his job.

I'm glad you said that...a world renown QB coach should have a serviceable back up, at least. Jones was clearly not himself, and not even close, due to the injuries. So I don't think there's a really good reason for not at least giving Harris a few tries while Jones was struggling. We didn't have anything to lose at that point, as the offense was stagnant. And if Harris bombed, then at least you stop the second guessing in the fan base, and there's value in that in and of itself. It's not a driving factor, but it is relevant.

And I'm glad a long timer here said that before I...

Acymetric
04-04-2018, 08:26 PM
I'm glad you said that...a world renown QB coach should have a serviceable back up, at least.

To be fair, we haven't exactly had a consistently strong air attack in a pretty good while (I am not knocking Boone or Sirk but neither set the world on fire as pocket passers). So I'm not really sure what reasonable expectations for QB play are for us.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-04-2018, 08:54 PM
To be fair, we haven't exactly had a consistently strong air attack in a pretty good while (I am not knocking Boone or Sirk but neither set the world on fire as pocket passers). So I'm not really sure what reasonable expectations for QB play are for us.

True, and I think there was regression at QB and on offense under Scotty Montgomery as OC and QB coach. Boone was much better under Kurt Roper, flinging it for almost 500 against A&M. I think Montgomery hit his ceiling as WR coach, and I was relieved when ECU hired him away. I don't think they love that hire at this time either.

And interesting, you have to wonder if Sirk would've seen some playing time this past season if he had stayed at Duke. He was lights out in his last Duke game against Indiana.

Bob Green
04-05-2018, 04:59 AM
Tight end will be a position of strength for Duke this coming season. Here is a video clip interview of starter Daniel Helm:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6256479

He talks about new receivers coach Gerad Parker working with the guys on technique.

budwom
04-05-2018, 08:33 AM
Tight end will be a position of strength for Duke this coming season. Here is a video clip interview of starter Daniel Helm:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6256479

He talks about new receivers coach Gerad Parker working with the guys on technique.

To be sure, TE should indeed be a position of strength. But last year we said the same thing, and by the time we were in the middle of the season (and our losing streak) we had thrown to the tight ends
an astonishingly low number of times, especially considering how unimpressive the WRs were...that changed later in the season (a number of two tight end sets) and our playcalling seemed to improve.
I too am very hopefully the new WR coach will get things on track...and the OC will continue to grow in his position...

dudog84
04-07-2018, 11:22 AM
No good place to put this, and I don't think it's worth it's own thread, but the Ol' Ball Coach is back at it:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23060914/former-florida-south-carolina-head-coach-steve-spurrier-coach-orlando-team-alliance-american-football-league

arnie
04-07-2018, 12:22 PM
ESPN.com/fpi has us as the 30th strongest team next. This is ahead of all Big 4 schools and even Louisville. Good to see an outside source recognize a very likely improved team.

Bob Green
04-07-2018, 01:26 PM
ESPN.com/fpi has us as the 30th strongest team next.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Opponents:

1. Clemson
14. Miami
22. Virginia Tech
24. Georgia Tech
31. Northwestern
38. Wake Forest
40. Baylor
46. Carolina
57. Pitt
74. Virginia
98. Army

CameronBornAndBred
04-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Opponents:

1. Clemson

Shock the world!

HereBeforeCoachK
04-08-2018, 09:08 AM
ESPN.com/fpi has us as the 30th strongest team next. This is ahead of all Big 4 schools and even Louisville. Good to see an outside source recognize a very likely improved team.

A couple thoughts came to mind - first, I think last year's team left 2 wins minimum, maybe 4 wins maximum, on the table. And for the first time in ten years under Cut, I think coaching subtracted wins instead of adding/generating wins. It pains me to say that, and in no way minimizes the unbelievable change of culture and fortunes that Cut is to be credited with. Based on some of Cut's comments, he might feel the same way about last year, and he made some staff changes in all the weak areas last season (MSU made one change for us).

Another is this: NC State is rated 43rd. I think that is low.

Finally, was Jim Knowles the best coach on the team? He was clearly the best coordinator Cut has ever had, and I'm surprised we kept him that long. I've been uber impressed with him for years.

budwom
04-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Opponents:

1. Clemson
14. Miami
22. Virginia Tech
24. Georgia Tech
31. Northwestern
38. Wake Forest
40. Baylor
46. Carolina
57. Pitt
74. Virginia
98. Army

I look at that list and all sorts of things pop out, especially as it relates to Duke's chances of winning this year. I like our prospects vs higher ranked GT, given the progress of our front six or seven.
And while Pitt and Virginia are ranked well below us, they've given us fits the last few years...and then there's Army, the team against which we coughed up the largest hairball last year.
There's not a guaranteed win in that list.

Bob Green
04-08-2018, 11:23 AM
...and then there's Army, the team against which we coughed up the largest hairball last year. There's not a guaranteed win in that list.

Army lost their quarterback which is a huge deal for a triple option team. There is no guarantee the replacement will not be as good or better but I like the fact Ahmad Bradshaw is gone.

I like our prospects vs higher ranked GT, given the progress of our front six or seven.

We have beaten GT three of the last four seasons. Like you, I like our chances to win this game.

And while Pitt and Virginia are ranked well below us, they've given us fits the last few years.

We have to right the ship against Virginia who has beaten us three straight times. Virginia is another team breaking in a new quarterback. Our defensive line needs to give us an advantage. We were up 17-7 on Pitt last season and pinned them at the eight yard line. We had our foot on their throat and failed to step down hard.

I agree there are no guaranteed wins on the schedule but I like our chances against a majority of the teams. There are certainly six or seven wins to be had if the team executes. Bowl eligibility is what it is all about.

There are several positions we have reason to be concerned about: placekicker, offensive tackle and the second cornerback opposite Mark Gilbert immediately come to mind. I'm looking forward to next Saturday's Spring Game and getting a glimpse at those spots.

AustinDevil
04-08-2018, 11:58 AM
We have beaten GT three of the last four seasons. Like you, I like our chances to win this game.

I don't follow Georgia Tech closely. I know they are never a pushover under Paul Johnson, but I'm curious if anyone who does know lots about them really agree they should be forecast as a Top 25 team next year? Their quarterback is back, but as a junior he was pretty atrocious throwing the ball, which is necessary to keep defenses honest against the option. I think they also lost a lot on defense, which wasn't a strength to begin with.

ehdg
04-08-2018, 12:57 PM
I’m very nervous/worried about our kicking game! Was this addressed at all with any recruits coming in this summer/fall to address the kicking game? Also the other area I’m most concerned about are our WR’s. Hopefully they’ll take a big step forward this season.

budwom
04-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Army lost their quarterback which is a huge deal for a triple option team. There is no guarantee the replacement will not be as good or better but I like the fact Ahmad Bradshaw is gone.

We have to right the ship against Virginia who has beaten us three straight times. Virginia is another team breaking in a new quarterback. Our defensive line needs to give us an advantage. We were up 17-7 on Pitt last season and pinned them at the eight yard line. We had our foot on their throat and failed to step down hard.

I agree there are no guaranteed wins on the schedule but I like our chances against a majority of the teams. There are certainly six or seven wins to be had if the team executes. Bowl eligibility is what it is all about.

There are several positions we have reason to be concerned about: placekicker, offensive tackle and the second cornerback opposite Mark Gilbert immediately come to mind. I'm looking forward to next Saturday's Spring Game and getting a glimpse at those spots.

I'm still angry at Arnie's favorite coach (Knowles) for blitzing vs Pitt when we absolutely didn't need to, and their RB ran 92 yards past our blitzing linebacker. IMO, Ben Albert is the best coach on the staff, and I'm excited to see what he does as co-DC or whatever they call it(he was superb at BC as well, so it's no accident).

I think the new WR coach may well get more out of his minions .....same for the OL coach (not unhappy Johnson is gone)....and last but not least, I can only hope our offensive coordinator continues his late season turnaround because (and I agree heartily with Arnie here) his playcalling in the middle of the season was horrendous.

Bob Green
04-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Buddy - any thoughts on placekicker, offensive tackle and the second cornerback position? Those are unknowns right now.

budwom
04-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Buddy - any thoughts on placekicker, offensive tackle and the second cornerback position? Those are unknowns right now.

none! Gotta think they will be looking for a grad transfer kicker. Hopeful that OT may be OK with the young guys we have....lots of talented bodies at CB but I have no idea who will step up, but unlike past years, we do have some athletes there. I wonder about Mason Williams who was first team all Ivy before transferring from Penn...we soon shall see!

ehdg
04-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Mason Williams sounds like a good addition to our DB group.

Jim3k
04-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Mason Williams sounds like a good addition to our DB group.

As a redshirt junior, Mason Williams certainly has classical dB moves, but at 79 isn’t he a bit past his prime?

But, I warrant, he always plays with his foot and hands on the gas (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHgNqbdBKs). That twelve-string Epiphone provides strong dB shivers for any age. �� �� ��

:cool:

Bob Green
04-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Perhaps it is my imagination but it seems to me the news coming out of Spring Practice, which is always thin, is even thinner this year. There have only been about three articles at GoDuke so far which mostly contained fluff.

Hopefully there is a good post Spring Practice press conference with some actually news on how things went. I realize the staff is conscientious about not revealing stuff to future opponents but they need to feed us fans a morsel or two.

[/rant]

budwom
04-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Perhaps it is my imagination but it seems to me the news coming out of Spring Practice, which is always thin, is even thinner this year. There have only been about three articles at GoDuke so far which mostly contained fluff.

Hopefully there is a good post Spring Practice press conference with some actually news on how things went. I realize the staff is conscientious about not revealing stuff to future opponents but they need to feed us fans a morsel or two.

[/rant]

I join your mini rant, Bob. As dedicated fans we note that the program is always talking about generating more interest from fans, etc, and yet info, even harmless tidbits about who is having a strong Spring, escape the program like it's a black hole.

Listen to Quants
04-10-2018, 04:56 PM

[/rant]

Yes but. No news is good news when injuries are concerned. With recruiting improving, a team will be thinner at experienced top-quality players than one with a steady recruiting level. A nice problem to have, but such a team is peculiarly vulnerable to injuries.

devildeac
04-10-2018, 04:57 PM

[/rant]

Now, now Bob, you know ranting is not allowed on DBR. Here are a few morsels to calm your anxiety.

;)

HereBeforeCoachK
04-10-2018, 05:06 PM

[/rant]

Maybe the staff thinks this is winter practice......

OZ
04-10-2018, 05:13 PM
There is the slight chance they are busy.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-10-2018, 10:06 PM
I think the TB’CC will display this gem in our tent next fall!

budwom
04-11-2018, 08:57 AM
There is the slight chance they are busy.

not too busy to ask me fifty times to renew my season tickets that I renewed months ago.
A lot of schools find the time to toss tidbits to the fans, about who is doing well, improving, etc, because it stimulates interest. Takes little time and effort. Hardly classified information.

rtnorthrup
04-11-2018, 09:18 AM

[/rant]

Was actually thinking this same thing last night. No post scrimmage information. Few player interviews. Very close to the vest this spring.

Again, I think everything that happens within the Duke Football circle is an intentional decision of Coach Cut, so this must be the way he wants it.

devildeac
04-11-2018, 09:42 AM
I'd greatly enjoy the opportunity to harass Mr. Green and his grandson at the Spring Game on Saturday but we'll be OOT.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Was actually thinking this same thing last night. No post scrimmage information. Few player interviews. Very close to the vest this spring.

Isn't the main spring scrimmage yet to happen? Isn't it this weekend?

rtnorthrup
04-11-2018, 11:12 AM

Yes, Duke's version of a "spring game" called the spring showcase is set for this Saturday. They usually have 1-2 small scripted scrimmages during the spring practices however. In the past, there has been some information come out from them. This year. . . nada.

chrishoke
04-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Yes, spring showcase iws this Saturday.

On another note,

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211710317&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_ga=2.242293890.1873850790.1523288419-1432719761.1510599207

Congrats to our guys.

devildeac
04-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Well, here ya go (from 4/4/18):

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211709266

(spoiler: not much info there that I could see :rolleyes:)

Bob Green
04-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Dave Harding interviews Daniel Jones:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6257702

My takeaway:

Jones states (paraphrasing): Coach Cutcliffe has worked with me a lot on keeping my feet underneath me, I've had a tendency to get long and spread out...keeping everything tight, movements quick and balanced...

The dialogue I paraphrase starts at about the 40 second mark of the video clip.

Pghdukie
04-11-2018, 07:37 PM
I would like to ask Mr. Green his honest early assessment of this year's team (strengths and weaknesses). And his outlook as far as season record. Bowl aspirations? I have read Bob''s reports for years and ALWAYS appreciated his incite. Thanks Bob

Bob Green
04-11-2018, 08:13 PM
I would like to ask Mr. Green his honest early assessment of this year's team (strengths and weaknesses).

I'm certainly no expert but I do read and listen to everything I can find on Duke football and I'm never shy about voicing my opinion. In addition to strengths and weaknesses, I'll add unknowns...

Strength: defensive line and linebackers have talent and depth. The second cornerback position opposite Mark Gilbert is an unknown.

Strength: Daniel Jones and Brittain Brown are two offensive skill position players with enough talent the staff can game plan around them. Additionally, there is a lot of talent and depth at tight end. Several unknowns exist on offense: will a second running back emerge to complement Brown? Will the young offensive tackles be up to the task? Will the wide receivers show increased productivity?

Unknown: who returns kick-offs? who returns punts? T.J. Rahming was shaky on punt return duties throughout last season. The team gave up a lot of field position due to punts hitting the ground, bouncing and rolling.

Weaknesses: the kicking game! Who kicks field goals and extra points? Who punts?

Unknown: coaching staff changes. Jim Knowles is gone replaced by co-defensive coordinators. Will that work? Gerad Parker is coaching the wide receivers, Jim Bridge the offensive line. Will everything mesh?

Unknown: how many impact players emerge from the redshirt and true freshmen?

Bowl Eligibility: Yes, the team will go bowling. The defense is strong. The offense is experienced. If the staff solves the kicking game puzzle, I see a range of six to eight wins on the schedule.

OldPhiKap
04-11-2018, 08:27 PM
I'm certainly no expert but I do read and listen to everything I can find on Duke football and I'm never shy about voicing my opinion. In addition to strengths and weaknesses, I'll add unknowns...

Strength: defensive line and linebackers have talent and depth. The second cornerback position opposite Mark Gilbert is an unknown.

Strength: Daniel Jones and Brittain Brown are two offensive skill position players with enough talent the staff can game plan around them. Additionally, there is a lot of talent and depth at tight end. Several unknowns exist on offense: will a second running back emerge to complement Brown? Will the young offensive tackles be up to the task? Will the wide receivers show increased productivity?

Unknown: who returns kick-offs? who returns punts? T.J. Rahming was shaky on punt return duties throughout last season. The team gave up a lot of field position due to punts hitting the ground, bouncing and rolling.

Weaknesses: the kicking game! Who kicks field goals and extra points? Who punts?

Unknown: coaching staff changes. Jim Knowles is gone replaced by co-defensive coordinators. Will that work? Gerad Parker is coaching the wide receivers, Jim Bridge the offensive line. Will everything mesh?

Unknown: how many impact players emerge from the redshirt and true freshmen?

Bowl Eligibility: Yes, the team will go bowling. The defense is strong. The offense is experienced. If the staff solves the kicking game puzzle, I see a range of six to eight wins on the schedule.

Agree with all of this. I’ll summarize my view, assuming health holds:

Special teams were a strength of Cut’s teams a few years ago. Last year was brutal. If we can just get that part of our game to “reliable or better,” we could not only make a bowl but play in a warm-weather bowl.

ipatent
04-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Tough schedule, they will need to exorcise some demons and beat some teams like Virginia that have been problematic in the past.

Bob Green
04-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Tough schedule, they will need to exorcise some demons and beat some teams like Virginia that have been problematic in the past.

I agree 100 percent on needing to beat Virginia. Back-to-back road games at Northwestern and Baylor is certainly tougher than playing those two teams at home last year; however, we play Army in Durham vice West Point. We trade Florida State at home for Clemson on the road. That's a wash. I don't see the schedule as significantly tougher than last year, it is slightly tougher.

OldPhiKap
04-11-2018, 08:43 PM
We trade Florida State at home for Clemson on the road. That's a wash.

Gotta disagree. FSU last year was struggling and we got them in Durham. Clemson in Death Valley is brutal. We trade a slight underdog for a very heavy underdog I think.

Bob Green
04-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Gotta disagree. FSU last year was struggling and we got them in Durham. Clemson in Death Valley is brutal. We trade a slight underdog for a very heavy underdog I think.

Yeah, but we lost to struggling FSU. Worse case scenario is we lose to Clemson...that's a wash.

OldPhiKap
04-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Yeah, but we lost to struggling FSU. Worse case scenario is we lose to Clemson...that's a wash.

In a way, I guess. But one could say that the worst case scenario against Clemson in Death Valley is that we get absolutely crushed, and that it impacts us for a period of time.

Clemson next year presumably will be much better than FSU when we played them, and Death Valley is a really tough place to play. I went to the Duke-FSU game in Wally Wade (as you might remember), and also the Clemson-FSU game in Clemson last year. Absolutely no comparison between the home field advantages.

But —beating Clemson at home is a great opportunity, right? So LET’S GO DUKE!!!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
04-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Death Valley is a really tough place to play. I went to the Duke-FSU game in Wally Wade (as you might remember), and also the Clemson-FSU game in Clemson last year. Absolutely no comparison between the home field advantages.

But —beating Clemson at home is a great opportunity, right? So LET’S GO DUKE!!!!!

There is no home field advantage for Duke football. The renovations to Wade look awesome, and they are major upgrades, but they did little or nothing to impact the home field advantage issue. (Okay, removing the track and bringing some seats down did help a bit).

There are stadiums that have big home field advantages that seat 20-30 thousand - I'm not sure it could have been done with Wade's existing footprint, but copying some ideas from some of those stadia would've been advisable. They didn't ask me....however....

OZ
04-11-2018, 11:27 PM
There is no home field advantage for Duke football. The renovations to Wade look awesome, and they are major upgrades, but they did little or nothing to impact the home field advantage issue. (Okay, removing the track and bringing some seats down did help a bit).

There are stadiums that have big home field advantages that seat 20-30 thousand - I'm not sure it could have been done with Wade's existing footprint, but copying some ideas from some of those stadia would've been advisable. They didn't ask me...however...

I'm going to respectfully disagree. Home always has the advantage of: NO travel... more rest... familiarity with surroundings/facilities... and, we may not be the biggest or perhaps the loudest, but I am guessing it feels better to have a side you can point too and know they are there because they SUPPORT you - too me that's an advantage.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-12-2018, 06:05 AM
I'm going to respectfully disagree. Home always has the advantage of: NO travel... more rest... familiarity with surroundings/facilities... and, we may not be the biggest or perhaps the loudest, but I am guessing it feels better to have a side you can point too and know they are there because they SUPPORT you - too me that's an advantage.

Allow me to clarify: there is no home field advantage outside of the inherent travel logistics....but beyond that, relative to almost every other Power 5 school, there is no noise issue, no hostile atmosphere created, no intimidation at all......

In fact, I've been at Wade when it sure seemed like Virginia Tech fans outnumbered Duke fans, Clemson fans....South Carolina fans..seem to have .outnumbered Duke fans. And the travel fans are noisy.

budwom
04-12-2018, 08:14 AM
There have been occasions (e.g. the Miami game) when we've had really good, enthusiastic crowds. The problem is, when the team isn't winning the crowds are thin, and the noon September (and thereafter) starts do nothing to encourage people to attend and roast while they can stay home and watch on TV. If we can get some momentum going, ESPN might be kind enough to give us some 3:30 games which are more conducive to good, enthusiastic crowds (or dare I hope, evening games).

The evening Miami game was great fun, too bad our offensive coordinator was suffering from brain cramps. (I'm hopeful he's past that).

HereBeforeCoachK
04-12-2018, 08:32 AM
There have been occasions (e.g. the Miami game) when we've had really good, enthusiastic crowds. The problem is, when the team isn't winning the crowds are thin, and the noon September (and thereafter) starts do nothing to encourage people to attend and roast while they can stay home and watch on TV. If we can get some momentum going, ESPN might be kind enough to give us some 3:30 games which are more conducive to good, enthusiastic crowds (or dare I hope, evening games).

The evening Miami game was great fun, too bad our offensive coordinator was suffering from brain cramps. (I'm hopeful he's past that).

The noon games are the worst, the night games are the best. Duke, like every program, has its best football crowds at night, followed by later afternoon. No doubt.

Another thing about noon games early season is how hot they are. It's tough on the fans, and the players, especially since Duke doesn't exercise its right to wear white at home (smart thing to do for nooners in September). Then there's the college student factor, many of whom would rather not be up by noon, let alone to a tailgater by 10 or 1030 in order to get properly motivated.....

OZ
04-12-2018, 09:08 AM
not too busy to ask me fifty times to renew my season tickets that I renewed months ago.
A lot of schools find the time to toss tidbits to the fans, about who is doing well, improving, etc, because it stimulates interest. Takes little time and effort. Hardly classified information.

Got my usual SINGLE request and just renewed them. I don't think the same folks who sent me the Iron Duke renewal are on the field with the players. I'm not sure why the secrecy; I don't really care. It is usually not all that helpful anyway.

TruBlu
04-12-2018, 01:13 PM
In fact, I've been at Wade when it sure seemed like Virginia Tech fans outnumbered Duke fans, Clemson fans...South Carolina fans..seem to have .outnumbered Duke fans. And the travel fans are noisy.

I hate it when the unc fans show up in Wallace Wade. It temporarily lowers the average IQ of the whole campus.

Acymetric
04-12-2018, 01:27 PM
I hate it when the unc fans show up in Wallace Wade. It temporarily lowers the average IQ of the whole campus.

You should probably avoid attending as well then :cool:

HereBeforeCoachK
04-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Lot of UNC fans work at Duke in various capacities......sadly.....

chrishoke
04-12-2018, 03:07 PM
Lot of UNC fans work at Duke in various capacities...sadly....

I didn't realize there were that many fast food eateries on campus.:D

HereBeforeCoachK
04-12-2018, 03:19 PM
I didn't realize there were that many fast food eateries on campus.:D

Also, think the facilities jobs.......the hidden usually ignored folks walking around campus maintaining buildings, parking garages, etc....and those that supervise them.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-12-2018, 03:21 PM
......maybe he's thinking about his offensive line, and Clemson's defensive line, and not liking what he's thinking......thinking how Bama ruined FSU's season last year in the opener by literally beating them up.

Bob Green
04-12-2018, 03:25 PM
...maybe he's thinking about his offensive line, and Clemson's defensive line, and not liking what he's thinking...thinking how Bama ruined FSU's season last year in the opener by literally beating them up.

Duke plays Clemson, in the 11th regular season game, on November 17th.

dpslaw
04-12-2018, 08:45 PM
I’ll take a split with Clemson next year, as long as we win the second game!

OldPhiKap
04-12-2018, 09:04 PM
I’ll take a split with Clemson next year, as long as we win the second game!

Sign me up for this.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-12-2018, 09:54 PM
Duke plays Clemson, in the 11th regular season game, on November 17th.

Okay my bad....so is it Bama in the opener in '19?

Bob Green
04-13-2018, 04:53 AM
Okay my bad...so is it Bama in the opener in '19?

Yes, Duke plays Alabama, in Atlanta, on 8/31/2019.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-13-2018, 07:45 AM

After coaching against one of Alabama's better defensive lines, Steve Logan said "we had to call a fair catch just to take the center snap..."

OldPhiKap
04-13-2018, 08:14 AM

Given that DaughterPK enrolls at Alabama as a freshman this year, and that I live in Georgia, I know I’ll be there. Wearing blue.

devildeac
04-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Given that DaughterPK enrolls at Alabama as a freshman this year, and that I live in Georgia, I know I’ll be there. Wearing blue.

Is that an empty seat next to you, sir?

;)

OldPhiKap
04-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Is that an empty seat next to you, sir?

;)

Ymm, stadium beer.

Bob Green
04-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Coach Cutcliffe interview (4/11):

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6257941

- Spring practice theme: it has been the most competitive it has been between the offense and defense.

- Dylan Singleton is out for tomorrow's showcase. He had thumb surgery.

- Aaron Young is a hopeful/maybe.

- Matt and Ben have been incredible as co-defensive coordinators.

- Jim Bridge has been relentless in taking the offensive line to another level. Coach Cutcliffe with a lot of positive comments on the offensive line.

- Offense is seeking to be aggressive.

There are more tidbits in the interview so it is well worth spending 7 minutes to watch/listen.

Acymetric
04-13-2018, 02:41 PM
The information I saw was not exactly clear, the event is free to attend tomorrow but is the parking?

Thanks for the recap Bob, I hate the GoDuke media player and avoid using it unless absolutely necessary.

Bob Green
04-13-2018, 02:48 PM
The information I saw was not exactly clear, the event is free to attend tomorrow but is the parking?

Parking is free. Here is an excerpt from an email I received:

The Duke Football program will hold its annual Spring Showcase at 1 p.m., on Saturday, April 14 at Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. Admission and parking to the event is open to the public and free of charge.

budwom
04-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Got my usual SINGLE request and just renewed them. I don't think the same folks who sent me the Iron Duke renewal are on the field with the players. I'm not sure why the secrecy; I don't really care. It is usually not all that helpful anyway.

Got yet another email today asking me to renew the tickets I paid for months ago.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-13-2018, 03:33 PM
We pre-ordered and paid our deposit for tickets when they offered them last year. See you there!:cool: LGD GTHc! 9F!

juise
04-14-2018, 01:49 PM
I didn’t see this posted anywhere, but there’s a new Singler on campus (http://www.mailtribune.com/sports/20180328/former-south-medford-standout-mitch-singler-embracing-role-as-duke-graduate-assistant). Kyle’s little brother (not E.J.) is a graduate assistant working with the defense. The story is pretty fluffy, but gives another reason to cheer on our Blue Devils on the gridiron. The Singlers are an Oregon high school sports institution and it’s fun to have them continue the connection to Duke.

martydoesntfoul
04-14-2018, 02:49 PM
AJ Reed!?

sagegrouse
04-14-2018, 05:01 PM
AJ Reed!?

Saw the scrimmage. He has a big leg.

OZ
04-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Got yet another email today asking me to renew the tickets I paid for months ago.

Maybe they don't know you changed your name to "budwom"... or maybe your credit card has bounced... or they were sold out before your order got there. I have no clue... I got my noticed... renewed it... that was it. I did call to make sure we had the same seats. After they moved us around due to construction, I don't trust the unknown. ;)

OZ
04-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Saw the scrimmage. He has a big leg.

That's what he gets for only working with weights with one leg.

devildeac
04-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Waiting for Bob to return home and post his thoughts...

Bob Green
04-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Waiting for Bob to return home and post his thoughts...

I saw nothing today that alleviates my concerns with the kicking game. Jackson Hubbard did the punting and he was average at best, below average is probably a more accurate assessment, plus he fumbled a snap, which would have been a turnover in a real game.

Colin Wareham and A.J. Reed handled the extra points and field goals. Both guys made multiple field goals during the scrimmage but Wareham missed an extra point. During kicking drills, prior to the scrimmage, Wareham was 5 of 5 on FGs and Reed was 4 of 5 missing one wide right.

Daniel Jones looked good at quarterback. He led the team on a 75 yard drive which culminated in a TD pass to Tight End Noah Gray. Jones also threw a very nice fade pass for a TD to T.J. Rahming. The play started on about the 8 yard line. He completed multiple passes to tight ends over the middle at various points during the scrimmage.

I was not impressed with any of the back-ups. Quentin Harris remains inaccurate. Chris Katrenick appears to be a decent passer but he was sacked multiple times (all QBs were wearing "do not tackle" Green Jerseys so play was called dead when defensive players touched the QB).

The defense looked good. Mason Williams and Josh Blackwell saw a lot of action at cornerback. In red zone drills, before the scrimmage, I thought the cornerbacks got the best of the wide receivers. Williams is a physical player who likes to crowd the receiver.

Defensive line looked very solid controlling the line of scrimmage on running plays.

There were no long runs by the offense. Brittain Brown had some nice 7 to 8 yard runs and Deon Jackson ran strong including a touchdown run of 1 or 2 yards. Marvin Hubbard looks quick but he never broke free so I don't know about breakaway speed. Hubbard took a pitch outside for a nice 9 yard gain but he also fumbled on an inside run in the Red Zone.

T.J. Rahming fielded punts during the scrimmage. In pre-scrimmage drills, there were multiple guys fielding punts: Keyston Fuller, Josh Blackwell, Myles Hudzick. Josh Blackwell has great hands fielding punts.

Kick-off return duties were shared by Brittain Brown, Marquis Waters and Michael Carter. This was all during drills, no kick-offs in the scrimmage.

Receivers Chris Taylor and Aaron Young did not participate. T.J. Rahming, Johnathan Lloyd and Scott Bracey were the first group receivers. The TD pass to Rahming is the only thing that sticks out as a significant play by the wide receivers. I believe Bracey caught one pass but most completions went to TE or RB. Deon Jackson had a nice catch and run on a bubble screen.

devildeac
04-14-2018, 08:07 PM
I saw nothing today that alleviates my concerns with the kicking game. Jackson Hubbard did the punting and he was average at best, below average is probably a more accurate assessment, plus he fumbled a snap, which would have been a turnover in a real game.

Colin Wareham and A.J. Reed handled the extra points and field goals. Both guys made multiple field goals during the scrimmage but Wareham missed an extra point. During kicking drills, prior to the scrimmage, Wareham was 5 of 5 on FGs and Reed was 4 of 5 missing one wide right.

Daniel Jones looked good at quarterback. He led the team on a 75 yard drive which culminated in a TD pass to Tight End Noah Gray. Jones also threw a very nice fade pass for a TD to T.J. Rahming. The play started on about the 8 yard line. He completed multiple passes to tight ends over the middle at various points during the scrimmage.

I was not impressed with any of the back-ups. Quentin Harris remains inaccurate. Chris Katrenick appears to be a decent passer but he was sacked multiple times (all QBs were wearing "do not tackle" Green Jerseys so play was called dead when defensive players touched the QB).

The defense looked good. Mason Williams and Josh Blackwell saw a lot of action at cornerback. In red zone drills, before the scrimmage, I thought the cornerbacks got the best of the wide receivers. Williams is a physical player who likes to crowd the receiver.

Defensive line looked very solid controlling the line of scrimmage on running plays.

There were no long runs by the offense. Brittain Brown had some nice 7 to 8 yard runs and Deon Jackson ran strong including a touchdown run of 1 or 2 yards. Marvin Hubbard looks quick but he never broke free so I don't know about breakaway speed. Hubbard took a pitch outside for a nice 9 yard gain but he also fumbled on an inside run in the Red Zone.

T.J. Rahming fielded punts during the scrimmage. In pre-scrimmage drills, there were multiple guys fielding punts: Keyston Fuller, Josh Blackwell, Myles Hudzick. Josh Blackwell has great hands fielding punts.

Kick-off return duties were shared by Brittain Brown, Marquis Waters and Michael Carter. This was all during drills, no kick-offs in the scrimmage.

Receivers Chris Taylor and Aaron Young did not participate. T.J. Rahming, Johnathan Lloyd and Scott Bracey were the first group receivers. The TD pass to Rahming is the only thing that sticks out as a significant play by the wide receivers. I believe Bracey caught one pass but most completions went to TE or RB. Deon Jackson had a nice catch and run on a bubble screen.

A sincere thank you.

OldPhiKap
04-14-2018, 08:10 PM

Thanks, Bob.

Special teams are the difference this year between a nice bowl, and struggling to secure six wins. I hope it comes around.

Bob Green
04-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Between the drills and the scrimmage, Coach Cutcliffe handed out Spring Practice awards.

Most Improved Offensive Player: Deon Jackson, Robert Kraeling

Most Improved Defensive Player: Myles Hudzick, Koby Quansah, Marquis Waters

Heart Award: Noah Waddell

budwom
04-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Maybe they don't know you changed your name to "budwom"... or maybe your credit card has bounced... or they were sold out before your order got there. I have no clue... I got my noticed... renewed it... that was it. I did call to make sure we had the same seats. After they moved us around due to construction, I don't trust the unknown. ;)

I have a 2/22/18 email from Duke acknowledging and thanking me for having paid for my ticket...in dealing with Duke Athletics and the Iron Dukes for decades, stuff like this is hardly surprising, it's the norm.
No problem, just a source of periodic amusement and wonder.

Bob Green
04-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Dave Harding recaps the Spring Showcase:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6258255

Video includes Deon Jackson's nice catch and run, and Daniel Jones' TD pass to T.J. Rahming.

Stray Gator
04-15-2018, 09:33 AM

FWIW, like my friend budwom, I continued to receive "deadline reminder" messages from the Iron Dukes long after I had renewed our football season tickets. Maybe they just find it difficult to believe that us old-timers are capable of remembering important dates without persistent prompting.

jimsumner
04-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Kicking is going to be an adventure.

FYI.

OZ
04-15-2018, 12:08 PM
FWIW, like my friend budwom, I continued to receive "deadline reminder" messages from the Iron Dukes long after I had renewed our football season tickets. Maybe they just find it difficult to believe that us old-timers are capable of remembering important dates without persistent prompting.

I suspect I am older or as old as you guys; and now, I am starting to feel neglected. I'm calling in the morning to see why I have not been contacted more.

OZ
04-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Dave Harding recaps the Spring Showcase:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6258255

Video includes Deon Jackson's nice catch and run, and Daniel Jones' TD pass to T.J. Rahming.

I'm not a QB expert by any means, so this is probably a figment of my imagination. Having said that, Jones' overall stance looked a bit different yesterday. His stance seemed tighter and his release quicker. He really looked comfortable.

arnie
04-15-2018, 12:29 PM

FYI.

Maybe we should follow the lead of a HS coach that never punted or kicked FGs. Also, after our many scores, just onside kick each time. With our great D, this should be a no brainer.😀

Even if the strategy fails, we’d get a lot of press.

OldPhiKap
04-15-2018, 12:30 PM

FYI.

This is so what I don’t want to hear. But I am afraid it is right.

Bob Green
04-15-2018, 12:31 PM
I'm not a QB expert by any means, so this is probably a figment of my imagination. Having said that, Jones' overall stance looked a bit different yesterday. His stance seemed tighter and his release quicker. He really looked comfortable.

See Post #108. In an interview, Daniel Jones stated Coach Cutcliffe had been working with him on "keeping everything tight, movements quick and balanced..."

OZ
04-15-2018, 12:52 PM
See Post #108. In an interview, Daniel Jones stated Coach Cutcliffe had been working with him on "keeping everything tight, movements quick and balanced..."

Missed that. Thanks. Well, it's good to know it wasn't my usual ill informed imagination.

PeteZaHut
04-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Am I the only one that is terrified every time Rahming is back to return a punt? I'd rather us have nobody back there at all and just let the ball roll.

OldPhiKap
04-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Am I the only one that is terrified every time Rahming is back to return a punt? I'd rather us have nobody back there at all and just let the ball roll.

Our punt returns need improvement, agreed.

Listen to Quants
04-15-2018, 01:24 PM
Am I the only one that is terrified every time Rahming is back to return a punt? I'd rather us have nobody back there at all and just let the ball roll.I'm with you. Not just terrified, but also perplexed. But perhaps unlike you, I really really hate the long roll. If the single returner cannot catch the punt cleanly almost all the time, I'd like to see the old fashion two returner alignment which would stop the long roll. With a 4th and 1 you might not want to risk a 9-man defense (with 2 back) but in most cases it's not a serious risk.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-15-2018, 05:34 PM
I'm with you. Not just terrified, but also perplexed. But perhaps unlike you, I really really hate the long roll. If the single returner cannot catch the punt cleanly almost all the time, I'd like to see the old fashion two returner alignment which would stop the long roll. With a 4th and 1 you might not want to risk a 9-man defense (with 2 back) but in most cases it's not a serious risk.

Seems like the decision to catch/not catch was as poor last year as any Coach Cut team. Cost a ton of yardage, and led to some bad field position.

budwom
04-16-2018, 07:13 AM
Seems like the decision to catch/not catch was as poor last year as any Coach Cut team. Cost a ton of yardage, and led to some bad field position.

No doubt about it, the number of times we let catchable balls roll for 10+ yards was very very high.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-16-2018, 04:46 PM
No doubt about it, the number of times we let catchable balls roll for 10+ yards was very very high.

And sometimes 20+, which is a major problem for a team who's weakness was having any offensive plays 20+

Bob Green
04-16-2018, 05:13 PM
And sometimes 20+, which is a major problem for a team who's weakness was having any offensive plays 20+

That is an overstatement. Duke had plenty of 20+ yard plays last season. Here are 20 examples:

1. Chris Taylor 52 yard TD reception against Northwestern.
2. Shaun Wilson 65 yard TD run against Baylor.
3. Brittain Brown 34 yard TD run against Baylor.
4. Shaun Wilson 50 yard TD run against Baylor.
5. T.J. Rahming 45 yard reception against North Carolina.
6. Davis Koppenhaver 28 yard TD reception against North Carolina.
7. Brittain Brown 38 yard run against North Carolina.
8. Shaun Wilson 20 yard run against Miami.
9. T.J. Rahming 28 yard reception against Miami.
10. Johnathan Lloyd 27 yard reception against Miami.
11. Daniel Jones 24 yard run against Virginia.
12. T.J. Rahming 30 yard reception against Virginia.
13. Johnathan Lloyd 20 yard reception against Virginia.
14. T.J. Rahming 57 yard reception against Florida State.
15. Chris Taylor 21 yard reception against Florida State.
16. Shaun Wilson 58 yard TD reception against Pitt.
17. T.J. Rahming 39 yard TD reception against Pitt.
18. Daniel Jones 33 yard run against Virginia Tech.
19. Johnathan Lloyd 41 yard reception against Virginia Tech.
20. Davis Koppenhaver 23 yard reception against Virginia Tech.

There are a lot more examples.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-16-2018, 10:22 PM
That is an overstatement. Duke had plenty of 20+ yard plays last season. Here are 20 examples:

I am less than sure Coach Cut would agree Duke had "plenty" of explosive plays last season. As your list shows, most of the 40+ yarders were early season, as were a lot of the 20+ but less than 40 yard plays as well.

duke09hms
04-17-2018, 02:00 AM

How many do we have compared to the teams we want to be with? Offense was pretty darn anemic last year.

Bob Green
04-17-2018, 04:56 AM
As your list shows, most of the 40+ yarders were early season, as were a lot of the 20+ but less than 40 yard plays as well.

Really? How about the last three games of the season:

1. Shaun Wilson 31 yard run against N. Illinois.
2. T.J. Rahming 33 yard TD reception against N. Illinois.
3. Daniel Helm 20 yard reception against N. Illinois.
4. Davis Koppenhaver 20 yard reception against N. Illinois.
5. T.J. Rahming 41 yard reception against Wake Forest.
6. Daniel Helm 33 yard TD reception against Wake Forest.
7. Chris Taylor 36 yard reception against Wake Forest.
8. Brittain Brown 35 yard reception against Wake Forest.
9. Daniel Jones 32 yard TD run against Georgia Tech.
10. Shaun Wilson 39 yard run against Georgia Tech.
11. Brittain Brown 31 yard run against Georgia Tech.
12. Parker Boehme 21 yard run against Georgia Tech.
13. Johnathan Lloyd 27 yard reception against Georgia Tech.

Duke had plenty of explosive plays last season. Unfortunately, we also had a lot of 3 and outs especially during the six game skid. Lack of explosive plays was not the problem consistently sustaining drives was.

jimsumner
04-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Duke absolutely wants to have more explosives this year. Especially from the wide-receiver corps. That is a priority.

I think a coaching upgrade will be useful in this area.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Really? How about the last three games of the season:

1. Shaun Wilson 31 yard run against N. Illinois.
2. T.J. Rahming 33 yard TD reception against N. Illinois.
3. Daniel Helm 20 yard reception against N. Illinois.
4. Davis Koppenhaver 20 yard reception against N. Illinois.
5. T.J. Rahming 41 yard reception against Wake Forest.
6. Daniel Helm 33 yard TD reception against Wake Forest.
7. Chris Taylor 36 yard reception against Wake Forest.
8. Brittain Brown 35 yard reception against Wake Forest.
9. Daniel Jones 32 yard TD run against Georgia Tech.
10. Shaun Wilson 39 yard run against Georgia Tech.
11. Brittain Brown 31 yard run against Georgia Tech.
12. Parker Boehme 21 yard run against Georgia Tech.
13. Johnathan Lloyd 27 yard reception against Georgia Tech.

Duke had plenty of explosive plays last season. Unfortunately, we also had a lot of 3 and outs especially during the six game skid. Lack of explosive plays was not the problem consistently sustaining drives was.

So not to be clear, but I was focusing on the six games we lost...that's where the problem was. There was no problem with explosives in the 7 wins. Again sorry not to be clear. And I agree with you on the 3 and outs - but I believe the coach agrees that in the losses, the lack of explosives was a major problem (as was giving up too many).

I would add that not all explosives (normally considered 20+) are of equal value. A 90 - 100 yard play can and often does turn an entire game around. Think Notre Dame early 2016. Or in reverse, think Pitt's 93 yard TD run last season. A 25-30-35 yard play is great, but doesn't change a game like an 80-90-100 yard play does. In the past, we've had some of those 80 plus plays.

Off top of my head, I don't think we had any kick off returns last season, and we never did have an 80-ish yard bomb last year I don't think...in a win or a loss. I believe the longest pass was a short pass and run for 58, which is great, but does not open up a defense the way a long bomb does. And when Jones scrambled and threw the 57 yard to TJ, I'm not sure we even scored on that drive (again, not sure).

I just didn't feel like the team was anywhere near as dynamic on offense, or as scary to defensive coordinators, as the DeVon Edwards/Jamsion Crowder teams were. And I think that wore down our defense mentally and physically, which was extremely good for much of the season. The explosives that won the Baylor and NC games were on defense.

Bob Green
04-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Duke absolutely wants to have more explosives this year. Especially from the wide-receiver corps. That is a priority.

I think a coaching upgrade will be useful in this area.

I have no disagreement with the above statement. Wide receiver production (lack of) has been widely discussed on the board.

My reaction (okay, I admit overreaction) was to the statement the team didn't have "any" offensive plays of 20+ yards.

Bob Green
04-17-2018, 03:58 PM
I just didn't feel like the team was anywhere near as dynamic on offense, or as scary to defensive coordinators, as the DeVon Edwards/Jamsion Crowder teams were. And I think that wore down our defense mentally and physically, which was extremely good for much of the season. The explosives that won the Baylor and NC games were on defense.

I'm going to move on from this discussion, I promise...but not before addressing the third sentence in the quoted statement above. I completely agree with sentence #1 and #2 but disagree with #3. Yes, the defense had a Pick 6 in the wins over Baylor and North Carolina; however, the offense had explosive plays as well especially against Baylor where running backs ran for three TDs of 65, 50 and 34 yards. If those are not explosive plays, I don't know what constitutes an explosive play.

Acymetric
04-17-2018, 04:34 PM
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-s-cutcliffe-ready-to-eliminate-kickoff/17487490/

Interesting article here...I was not aware of this rule change but agree with Coach Cut that it doesn't really do anything to lessen the risk of kickoff injuries...it offers some additional incentive not to return which protects the returner, but the blockers are still having to engage all the way down the field until it is known what the returner is going to do.

Excerpt:

In continuing efforts to increase the number of touchbacks after kickoffs, which will minimize injuries that occur after kickoffs, the Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a rule to allow receiving teams to fair catch kicks inside the 25-yard line and have them result in a touchback.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-18-2018, 08:16 AM
I'm going to move on from this discussion, I promise...but not before addressing the third sentence in the quoted statement above. I completely agree with sentence #1 and #2 but disagree with #3. Yes, the defense had a Pick 6 in the wins over Baylor and North Carolina; however, the offense had explosive plays as well especially against Baylor where running backs ran for three TDs of 65, 50 and 34 yards. If those are not explosive plays, I don't know what constitutes an explosive play.

Fair enough, and i"ll move on after saying yes, the Baylor game was indeed the high point of explosiveness for Duke all season. Unfortunately, it was an outlier, not a trend. :)

Bob Green
04-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Blue Devil 360 Podcast:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6258915

A 45 minute discussion of Duke Football Spring Practice. David Shumate, John Roth and Dave Harding with a few guests.

Part 1 - Noel Durfey talks strength and conditioning.
Part 2 - Defense discussion. Visit with new linebackers coach Lanier Goethie. Joe Giles-Harris drops in.
Part 3 - Offense discussion including interview with Daniel Jones.
Part 4 - Word association: the three co-hosts wrap things up.

chrishoke
04-19-2018, 11:40 AM
Another interview with a very impressive duke lineman - future surgeon OL Rik Chambers.
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=6259217

Bob Green
04-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Blue Devil 360 Podcast:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6259392

Spring Football Part II is a 54 minute discussion including interviews with: David Cutcliffe, Zac Roper, Ben Albert, Matt Guerrieri, Chris Rumph and Damond Philyaw-Johnson.

Good stuff! :cool:

Acymetric
04-26-2018, 06:08 PM
Blue Devil 360 Podcast:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=6259392

Spring Football Part II is a 54 minute discussion including interviews with: David Cutcliffe, Zac Roper, Ben Albert, Matt Guerrieri, Chris Rumph and Damond Philyaw-Johnson.

Good stuff! :cool:

That was a pretty good listen! Lot of coach speak, but some good tidbits sprinkled in! Not convinced they've figured out the 2-DC thing...nobody says great that much when they mean it! ;)

OldPhiKap
04-26-2018, 08:40 PM
When do tickets for away games go on sale through IronDukes for our section?

budwom
04-27-2018, 01:59 PM
as discussed previously, you can often get much better tickets at the venue than you can from Duke, as the opponents like to pawn off lousy seats. Pretty predictable as to where tickets will be easily available.
But if you like to sit with the Duke gang low down near the goal line....

OldPhiKap
04-27-2018, 03:03 PM
When do tickets for away games go on sale through IronDukes for our section?

Thanks to DiBD for letting me know that they are already on sale.

Headed to ATL to watch us wreck the busy bees on October 13.

Reserved tickets for the 2019 ‘Bama season opener while I was at it in ATL too.

Now just have to squeeze in a home game and a warm bowl, and my immediate pigskin needs are set.

Daddylawman
04-28-2018, 09:35 PM
FYI - DT Mike Ramsay agreed to a free agent contract with the Titans.

Reilly
04-28-2018, 09:45 PM
Per Twitter, C Austin Davis will sign w/ Packers.

OldPhiKap
04-29-2018, 12:39 AM
FYI - DT Mike Ramsay agreed to a free agent contract with the Titans.

Per Twitter, C Austin Davis will sign w/ Packers.

Great info, thanks! Best of luck to Mike and Austin.

Bob Green
04-29-2018, 06:00 AM
Shaun Wilson to Tampa Bay:

@DukeFOOTBALL
6h6 hours ago

Let's add another to #DukeInTheNFL. Shaun Wilson is heading to the @Buccaneers

jimsumner
04-29-2018, 12:28 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211713877&DB_OEM_ID=4200

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211713865&DB_OEM_ID=4200

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211713864&DB_OEM_ID=4200

chrishoke
04-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Interesting chart.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-29-2018, 04:12 PM
Interesting chart.

Huh.

Not sure what that indicates.

But yes, interesting.

Bob Green
04-29-2018, 04:30 PM
Another one:

@DukeFOOTBALL
10m10 minutes ago

Never too late for another opportunity.

#DukeInTheNFL adds another as @tsirk_1 heads to the @Giants

Congratulations to Thomas Sirk!

Edit: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211713914&DB_OEM_ID=4200

English
04-30-2018, 09:40 AM
Bryon Fields Jr. will join Thomas Sirk playing for the New York Football Giants, as well.

budwom
04-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Bryon Fields Jr. will join Thomas Sirk playing for the New York Football Giants, as well.

I wish them both the best but will be absolutely stunned if either makes the roster.

sagegrouse
04-30-2018, 11:32 AM
I wish them both the best but will be absolutely stunned if either makes the roster.

"Hope springs eternal..." well, during "spring"... before summer NFL camps begin.

Bob Green
04-30-2018, 03:16 PM
I was hoping to see a team give Jela Duncan an opportunity. Duncan was recovering from surgery this time last year but he participated in Duke's Pro Day earlier this month.

Acymetric
04-30-2018, 04:31 PM
I was hoping to see a team give Jela Duncan an opportunity. Duncan was recovering from surgery this time last year but he participated in Duke's Pro Day earlier this month.

Could still happen...I would be surprised if he doesn't at least camp with somebody later this year.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-30-2018, 06:42 PM

There were certainly moments in his career where he looked NFL quality....

Bob Green
05-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Jela Duncan to Cleveland Browns:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211714367&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Former Duke running back Jela Duncan has agreed to terms with the Cleveland Browns to join the NFL organization as an undrafted free agent.

This makes me happy! When healthy, Jela is a beast.

Acymetric
05-02-2018, 04:35 PM

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211714367&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Not surprising at all that he's been picked up, the guy can play. That said, I see almost no way he sticks with Cleveland...(already having Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson, and now Chubb) but I definitely think he belongs in the league. Hopefully this is a good opportunity for him to show what he's got! He will at least be on a practice squad, but I would bet he lands with another team later in the offseason or preseason.

I was also unfortunately reminded of how he got injured while at Duke (I had forgotten it was a TD celebration, and not even his own TD)...ugh!

CameronBornAndBred
05-02-2018, 04:46 PM

Jela is one of my favorite Duke sports stories. He did wrong, got suspended before the Chic-fil-A bowl, and sat out the entire following season. He didn't give up on the team, nor the university, though, and is now heading for an opportunity as a Duke graduate in the NFL.
I hope it works out for him!

Tripping William
05-03-2018, 03:44 PM
An official release (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211714376) of the current depth chart. Discuss. :)

Acymetric
05-03-2018, 04:01 PM
An official release (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211714376) of the current depth chart. Discuss. :)

There is an awful lot to like on that depth chart...this could be the best defense we have had in a long, long time. Our WR group looks pretty uninspiring (based on past performance), seems like one of the most likely places for a true freshman to make an impact. Disappointed that Bracey hasn't shown enough to get listed as one of four starters. OL is a gigantic question mark. There are a lot of new faces but new isn't always bad, they could gel and play great. Latina gives me some comfort there I think we will at least be ok there event if it isn't a team strength.

The truly frightening stuff is happening on special teams. I like that we have someone other than AJ Reed at the top, but this guy has been with the team for years so there has to be a reason he didn't get a shot previously. No confidence in punting or kicking, and if we keep Rahming as the primary punt returner add punt returns to that list. Combined with a new special teams coach, and I have serious concerns about every phase of our special teams game other than kickoff returns. We absolutely have to figure something out there. If we can at least have a passable special teams and get some production from or receivers, we could be in store for a special season. If special teams is worse than it was last year (which it very well could be, not sure I see any upgrades anywhere) then oh well, maybe next year.

Bob Green
05-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Latina gives me some comfort there I think we will at least be ok there event if it isn't a team strength.

Latina is long gone, he was not the OL coach last season Marcus Johnson was. With Johnson gone to Mississippi State, Jim Bridge is coaching the offensive line. Bridge coached the OL during Quick Lane Bowl practices at the end of last season.

The young talent on the OL has a high ceiling. Like you say, if they gel they could be very good.

Acymetric
05-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Latina is long gone, he was not the OL coach last season Marcus Johnson was. With Johnson gone to Mississippi State, Jim Bridge is coaching the offensive line. Bridge coached the OL during Quick Lane Bowl practices at the end of last season.

The young talent on the OL has a high ceiling. Like you say, if they gel they could be very good.

No idea what I was thinking...that's what I get for posting while still mostly focused on work! Thanks for the correction.

devilirium
05-03-2018, 10:17 PM
There is an awful lot to like on that depth chart...this could be the best defense we have had in a long, long time. Our WR group looks pretty uninspiring (based on past performance), seems like one of the most likely places for a true freshman to make an impact. Disappointed that Bracey hasn't shown enough to get listed as one of four starters. OL is a gigantic question mark. There are a lot of new faces but new isn't always bad, they could gel and play great. Latina gives me some comfort there I think we will at least be ok there event if it isn't a team strength.

The truly frightening stuff is happening on special teams. I like that we have someone other than AJ Reed at the top, but this guy has been with the team for years so there has to be a reason he didn't get a shot previously. No confidence in punting or kicking, and if we keep Rahming as the primary punt returner add punt returns to that list. Combined with a new special teams coach, and I have serious concerns about every phase of our special teams game other than kickoff returns. We absolutely have to figure something out there. If we can at least have a passable special teams and get some production from or receivers, we could be in store for a special season. If special teams is worse than it was last year (which it very well could be, not sure I see any upgrades anywhere) then oh well, maybe next year.

Still hope for Bracey. Spring depth charts are good guideposts, but closer to snapshots. Last year, for instance, Mark Gilbert was 3rd string after spring practice. A few years before that, Anthony Nash was buried way down in the depth chart and he had a solid junior season and was enjoying a really good senior campaign until he sustained a season ending injury.

Will agree though that the WR corps is not collectively eye-popping in terms of separation.

Reilly
05-03-2018, 10:23 PM
I came *this* close to starting a new thread with the above title. Bob, do your thing if you're believing in the boys and we're now a football school.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/cfpbowls2018/2018-19-college-football-playoff-bowl-schedule

OldPhiKap
05-04-2018, 07:14 AM
^^ I think the quality of our special teams will determine whether we are competing for a warm-weather bowl, or fighting just to make bowl eligibility,

jimsumner
05-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Still hope for Bracey. Spring depth charts are good guideposts, but closer to snapshots. Last year, for instance, Mark Gilbert was 3rd string after spring practice. A few years before that, Anthony Nash was buried way down in the depth chart and he had a solid junior season and was enjoying a really good senior campaign until he sustained a season ending injury.

Will agree though that the WR corps is not collectively eye-popping in terms of separation.

I was going to use Mark Gilbert as an example. He got thrown into the deep end of the pool as a true freshman, after Breon Borders went down with an injury.

And he got toasted by Pitt and Miami. Just mauled.

He drown.

And he carried that over into spring, playing cautiously, without confidence, without the swagger a DB needs.

So, his demotion to third team was based on merit. But it was also a motivational ploy. Duke knew this would get his attention.

And Gilbert responded the right way, turning into an All-ACC performer, hopefully on the way to becoming an All-America performer.

So, yes, spring depth charts are just a snapshot of a point in time and can mean lots of things.

Reilly
05-04-2018, 12:33 PM

^^ I think the quality of our special teams will determine whether we are competing for a warm-weather bowl, or fighting just to make bowl eligibility,

Both the listed starting P and listed starting K have not seen college game action. Maybe we will lead the country in going for it on 4th down. Not a bad thing.

devildeac
05-04-2018, 01:10 PM
Both the listed starting P and listed starting K have not seen college game action. Maybe we will lead the country in going for it on 4th down. Not a bad thing.

But, looks who's listed 3rd on the depth chart as P...

;)

Bob Green
05-04-2018, 03:43 PM
I came *this* close to starting a new thread with the above title.

It is a wee bit early to start talking bowl games, okay it is way too early, but I definitely believe this team will go bowling in 2018. Winning three of four non-conference games (Army, @Northwestern, @Baylor, NCCU) and three of four conference home games (Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Wake Forest) will get you to six.

There are a couple of winnable conference road games on the schedule (Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, Miami, Clemson). Clemson is a tall task and Miami has handled us pretty easily the past couple seasons.

My way too early prediction says somewhere between 6-6 to 10-2.

Reilly
05-04-2018, 03:59 PM
But, looks who's listed 3rd on the depth chart as P...

;)

He's no Anthony Dilweg, or Steve Spurrier.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-04-2018, 04:29 PM

Leo Hart?

bedeviled
05-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Maybe we will lead the country in going for it on 4th down. Not a bad thingHere's a timely Yahoo! Dan Wetzel interview (https://sports.yahoo.com/americas-daring-high-school-coach-thoughts-banning-kickoffs-wrong-nfl-225337708.html) of maverick high school coach, Kevin Kelley. Kelley has won 7 of last 15 Arkansas State Championships, has had a personal invitation by Bill Bellichek to discuss tactics, and has given presentations at MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. He argues that the traditional football kicking game is not statistically advantageous.

The article linked above is focused on kickoffs, for which “We attempt onside kicks 100 percent of the time.” "Kelley’s reasoning is that turnover margin is among the most predictive stats when it comes to determining a game’s outcome. [SNIP] The downside of failing to recover is the opponent is given better field position, but Kelley’s numbers show field position is an overrated variable, especially when considering most failed onside kicks wind up in the mid-field area."

For discussion about punting, here's a 2013 Grantland article on Kelley, "The Coach Who Never Punts" (http://grantland.com/features/grantland-channel-coach-never-punts/). Some highlights from links within the Grantland article:

Every single serious study of 4th-down decisions has found that, in most situations, teams would be better off by going for the conversion attempt rather than kicking (https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/a-new-study-on-fourth-downs-go-for-it/)

the paper shows that the behavior of National Football League teams on fourth downs departs systematically from the behavior that would maximize their chances of winning. The departure is large and overwhelmingly statistically significant, and it cannot be explained by rational risk aversion, information known to teams that is omitted from the analysis, or other complications (https://eml.berkeley.edu/~dromer/papers/PAPER_NFL_JULY05_FORWEB_CORRECTED.pdf)

In addition, Kelley notes that his team has a variety of plays designed for the kicking game and specialty scenarios for which opposing teams are forced to spend an inordinate amount of time in preparation.

Might be frustrating as a fan at first, like fouling a basketball opponent in the closing seconds when your team is up by 3. On the other hand, it could make for exciting times in Wallace Wade Stadium, AKA "Four Down Territory"

jimsumner
05-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Leo Hart?

Leo didn't punt at Duke.

But Wes Chesson did.

Back in the old days, before specialists, guys like Steve Jones and Bob Grupp punted. Not only position players but darn good position players.

And pretty good punters.

devildeac
05-04-2018, 07:55 PM

Harruummph. He averaged 45 yards/punt in 2017.

(yea, yea, I know, small sample size ) :o;)

CameronBornAndBred
05-06-2018, 09:12 AM
A few of the #DukeGang will be heading south for the break between semesters. Wayyyy south.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/thirteen-blue-devils-head-to-guatemala-to-serve-with-durham-habitat/17534425/

kmspeaks
05-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Interesting chart.

Huh.

Not sure what that indicates.

But yes, interesting.

I like anything that has Duke at the top and uNC near the bottom....even if it doesn't really mean anything. :D

Avvocato
05-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Mel Kiper listed his top draft eligible players by position breaking down by seniors and underclassmen. Mark Gilbert and Joe Giles-Harris both made the list as underclassmen. See list here: http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insider/story/_/id/23450051/mel-kiper-2019-nfl-draft-rankings-best-prospects-every-position

As an FYI, while it’s early, the QB class for 2019 looks less than inspiring. Just saying.

Avvocato
05-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Here's what I think is a pretty good preseason article on the 2018 football team. Looks at both sides of the ball, the schedule and more. The take away is that they believe Duke will be better on both sides of the ball, though our schedule will be harder. Like many predictions about us, we could be better but still only get to 6 wins. With that said, the prediction is for 7 wins, an upset win along the way, and probably one loss due to kicking issues. Here's the article: https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/05/duke-blue-devils-college-football-preview-2018

I didn't comment after the spring game. Not to get into it too much, but here are a couple of additional thoughts to add during the lull until training camp:

* The defense looked far ahead of the offense. The defense looked very good.

* I did expect a little more from the offense. I know the offensive line is young and regrouping, and we have questions at the receiver spot, but we have a lot of experienced offensive skill players. I thought they might look a little more in sync, though I'll give extra credit to the defense.

* We all keep talking about which wide receiver will break out and/or give us a deep threat to stretch the defense. What I think this offense has been missing is the 10-15 yard intermediate passing. We definitely need to stretch the defense to open things up. However, you need to be able to connect on those 10-15 yard ins, outs, hooks, skinny posts, etc. Jones needs to take a drop, plan his feet, release the ball, and connect. Takes the line to give him time, receivers to run good routes and get separation, and the ball to be delivered on time. But good offenses have to make those plays. We didn't make enough of those last year. I hope to see more of that this year.

* I thought Trevon Lee had a few nice catches. A guy can dream that a receiver will emerge out of nowhere.

sagegrouse
05-15-2018, 03:30 PM
I didn't comment after the spring game. Not to get into it too much, but here are a couple of additional thoughts to add during the lull until training camp:

* The defense looked far ahead of the offense. The defense looked very good.

The defense often looks really good when it knows all the plays used by the offense.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-15-2018, 03:55 PM
The defense often looks really good when it knows all the plays used by the offense.

I'm thinking our D may be better than the O this season anyway. Been that way really for a few years. Kinda odd for Duke, and for a QB centered coach like Cut.

Bob Green
05-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Here's what I think is a pretty good preseason article on the 2018 football team.

Thanks for the link there is a lot to digest in the article. The article contains interesting commentary, exciting commentary and worrisome commentary.

* It is interesting the author picked the home game against Virginia Tech as the key game to the season. The last time Duke beat Virginia Tech in Durham was 1981. Streaks are made to be broken.
* It is exciting to read Joe Giles-Harris might just be the best linebacker in college football. Defense should lead the way this season with one unknown being the health of safety Jeremy McDuffie. A fully recovered McDuffie would be a big plus.
* It is worrisome to read Duke will lose one game they shouldn't because the kicking game won't get the job done. I worry it will be more than one game. Punting was horrendous during the spring game.

I didn't comment after the spring game.

In regard to the receiving corps, I agree wholeheartedly production has to improve. My observations at the spring game are the team ran a lot of two tight end sets. With the talent we have at tight end, this could become a norm in 2018 to offset the middling production from wide receivers. Another factor is Gerad Parker has taken over wide receiver coaching duties so I'm optimistic he will make a difference. Comments from receivers, including tight ends, during spring practice interviews indicate Coach Parker was working hard teaching receiving techniques.

Pghdukie
05-15-2018, 05:16 PM
A question to Mr. Green - or others- How do you feel the O Line will preform this year ?

Bob Green
05-15-2018, 06:05 PM
How do you feel the O Line will perform this year?

The projected starters are talented but lack experience which is a lot better than being experienced but lacking talent.

Coach Cutcliffe has raved about the size and strength of Rak Chambers (6'3" 310) and Robert Kraeling (6'7" 310) on the right side. We certainly should be able to get a push and run the ball behind those guys.

Senior Zach Harmon (6'3" 285) has lots of game experience but will be changing position to center. He will be counted on to be a leader.

On the left, Julian Santos (6'3" 315) is projected as the starting guard and Christian Harris (6'6" 295) is projected as the starting tackle. Harris is a 5th year senior who has stuck around and persevered. He played in 11 games with one start in 2017 and played very well. Harris should provide additional leadership.

My concern with the group is pass blocking. They have to give Jones time to throw the ball. If they gel as a pass blocking unit, the offensive line could prove to be a team strength. If they struggle, it will force the staff to utilize the tight end to augment the blocking which really hurts as the tight ends are weapons who need to be catching the ball.

Pghdukie
05-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Thank You. I have read your reports for years and always appreciated your insight. Here's hoping for another successful season.

rtnorthrup
05-16-2018, 09:55 AM
The projected starters are talented but lack experience which is a lot better than being experienced but lacking talent.

Coach Cutcliffe has raved about the size and strength of Rak Chambers (6'3" 310) and Robert Kraeling (6'7" 310) on the right side. We certainly should be able to get a push and run the ball behind those guys.

Senior Zach Harmon (6'3" 285) has lots of game experience but will be changing position to center. He will be counted on to be a leader.

On the left, Julian Santos (6'3" 315) is projected as the starting guard and Christian Harris (6'6" 295) is projected as the starting tackle. Harris is a 5th year senior who has stuck around and persevered. He played in 11 games with one start in 2017 and played very well. Harris should provide additional leadership.

My concern with the group is pass blocking. They have to give Jones time to throw the ball. If they gel as a pass blocking unit, the offensive line could prove to be a team strength. If they struggle, it will force the staff to utilize the tight end to augment the blocking which really hurts as the tight ends are weapons who need to be catching the ball.

I think that is a natural concern when you have question marks at both T positions; however, I think Duke schemes its pass protection as well as anyone in the country. Between the read/option, quick passing game, and athletic QB, Duke has been able to be at or near the top of the ACC in terms of sacks allowed for several years now. It may be slight over-confidence, but I think we will be ok in pass protection.

chrishoke
05-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Big News! Austin Parker has been reinstated to the Duke football Program!
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211716009&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_ga=2.82088979.461737944.1526396230-1767095120.1524062245

Acymetric
05-16-2018, 10:50 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211716009&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_ga=2.82088979.461737944.1526396230-1767095120.1524062245

Huge news...our field goal kicking is still not superb but this is a huge boost to the team (and a great second chance for Austin).

Highlander
05-16-2018, 11:24 AM

This came as quite a surprise to me, actually. Cutcliffe hasn't been known as someone who gives second chances for things like this. I trust Parker has re-earned the Coach's respect and learned a valuable lesson. I am happy to see he's getting another chance and I hope he makes the best of it.

jimsumner
05-16-2018, 11:27 AM
A pleasant and unexpected surprise. I was told emphatically that there was no chance of Parker being reinstated. Don't know what changed Cut's mind but Parker's return answers the biggest questions for next season.

CameronBornAndBred
05-16-2018, 11:42 AM
This came as quite a surprise to me, actually. Cutcliffe hasn't been known as someone who gives second chances for things like this. I trust Parker has re-earned the Coach's respect and learned a valuable lesson. I am happy to see he's getting another chance and I hope he makes the best of it.

I disagree. Both Zack (run, Zack, run) Asack and Jela Duncan were given second chances by Cutcliffe after university suspensions. Duncan made the most of his opportunity, and Asack totally blew his.
Coach Cut has proven he believes in the opportunity for a player to prove himself; I'm very happy to see Parker gets the chance, too.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-16-2018, 11:44 AM
A pleasant and unexpected surprise. I was told emphatically that there was no chance of Parker being reinstated. Don't know what changed Cut's mind but Parker's return answers the biggest questions for next season.

He was reading your dire predictions for his team related to special teams.....and he caved...
(J/K of course :cool:)

budwom
05-16-2018, 12:47 PM

perhaps Cut watched what passes as his Spring Game.

PDDuke85
05-16-2018, 12:57 PM
I disagree. Both Zack (run, Zack, run) Asack and Jela Duncan were given second chances by Cutcliffe after university suspensions. Duncan made the most of his opportunity, and Asack totally blew his.
Coach Cut has proven he believes in the opportunity for a player to prove himself; I'm very happy to see Parker gets the chance, too.

Cut has also demonstrated his willingness to provide second chances in the coaching staff as well.

loran16
05-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Duncan has to sit out a full year- why didn’t Parker?

CameronBornAndBred
05-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Duncan has to sit out a full year- why didn’t Parker?

All three were university suspensions, not football. Parker's was only for a semester. It is interesting that Cutcliffe changed his mind when he seemed rather adamant at first. Here was a quote from the N&O back in December.

While Parker can re-apply to school at Duke in the summer, he will not be allowed to return to the football team.
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article188820514.html

OZ
05-16-2018, 02:35 PM
All three were university suspensions, not football. Parker's was only for a semester. It is interesting that Cutcliffe changed his mind when he seemed rather adamant at first. Here was a quote from the N&O back in December.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article188820514.html

Not having a kicker will do strange things to the mind.

Bob Green
05-16-2018, 03:07 PM
This is very welcome news as the punting was horrendous at the Spring Game. Whatever academic issues Austin Parker had I sincerely hope he has grown as a person as a result of his suspension and is ready to get back to work in the classroom and on the gridiron.

Bob Green
05-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Between the read/option, quick passing game, and athletic QB, Duke has been able to be at or near the top of the ACC in terms of sacks allowed for several years now. It may be slight over-confidence, but I think we will be ok in pass protection.

There has been a significant uptick in sacks allowed the past two seasons:

2017 - 29
2016 - 31
2015 - 18
2014 - 13
2013 - 17
2012 - 19

Some of the issue is Daniel Jones holding on to the ball too long but the OL has to own some of the responsibility. I agree with you we will be ok in pass protection but I certainly stick with my opinion pass protection is an area of concern.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Very glad to hear that Parker is rejoining the team, and I hope he has learned from this episode. Good on him for apparently earning his way back in.

As for the team: while that may resolve some question marks, I'm not sure it adds many exclamation marks either. Our special teams is still in need of significant improvement over last season, in all phases of it.

jimsumner
05-16-2018, 05:55 PM
Very glad to hear that Parker is rejoining the team, and I hope he has learned from this episode. Good on him for apparently earning his way back in.

As for the team: while that may resolve some question marks, I'm not sure it adds many exclamation marks either. Our special teams is still in need of significant improvement over last season, in all phases of it.

Parker was above average as a place-kicker and punter last season.

The folks we saw this past spring were a long way from average.

Remember A.J. Reed's 3-for-10 train-wreck all the way back in 2016? He was in the mix for 2018.

I think Parker's reinstatement is worth exclamation points, cinder blocks, pies and assorted huzzahs and hurrahs.

chrishoke
05-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Punting in the spring game looked like a junior high school game.

Bob Green
05-16-2018, 06:27 PM
I think Parker's reinstatement is worth exclamation points, cinder blocks, pies and assorted huzzahs and hurrahs.

Seeing as Jim isn't prone to overstatement, his comments above drive home how dire the kicking/punting could have been in 2018. Austin Parker being back on the team is a really big deal.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Remember A.J. Reed's 3-for-10 train-wreck all the way back in 2016? He was in the mix for 2018.

Agreed with all of this.....I think the kicking game was on track to cost 3-4 wins this coming season. Now it appears it can be average or slightly above.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2018, 07:15 PM

I hope that is right. My point was not that the alternative looked bleak — it did — but that our kicking game was not great last year regardless. Using this as a source: https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/stats/stats.html?yr=2017&conf=1&mode=U

- Parker was 11th of 14 in average yards per punt, and last in net yards.
- tied for most touchbacks in the league, and also the lowest number of punts inside the 20.

On the positive side: https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/stats/stats.html?yr=2017&conf=1&mode=K

— Parker was 6th in kicking points
— very respectable FG and PAT stats

I understand that our kicking game could have been atrocious this season. My point is that, IMHO, it was well below average last year when it came to painting and average-ish in scoring. I would love Parker to have a huge breakthrough year, and also hoping for a beyond-serviceable punt returner.

Let’s Go Duke!!!

Reilly
05-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Not having a kicker will do strange things to the mind.

I hope it wasn't a case of situational ethics; I hope the press asks Cut about it.

devildeac
05-16-2018, 10:02 PM

You omitted sporks and hand-crafted ales. :o