PDA

View Full Version : Which Duke player will be used at the FT area the most against Cuse's 2-3 Zone?

Troublemaker
02-23-2018, 10:59 PM
I keep saying polls are underused on DBR. Vote in the poll and then discuss in this thread your vote.

Troublemaker
02-23-2018, 11:19 PM
Hmmm, 5 votes so far, for 4 different players.

If there's not an obvious choice for player who will operate from the FT area against the zone, that could be a bad sign for the game. Maybe.

Rich
02-23-2018, 11:23 PM
If there's not an obvious choice for player who will operate from the FT area against the zone, that could be a bad sign for the game. Maybe.

Ideally you want a 6'6" to 6'8" guy with a mid-range game who can see the court and distribute. We don't really have one of those guys this year, but I think we'll find a way to beat their zone. You'd have to think that playing it so much we've been practicing against it too. But I guess that works both ways so Syracuse should have a pretty good idea how to attack us. I like our chances at home with our personnel.

juise
02-24-2018, 02:50 AM
I would like to see Trent there. If Javin starts, that wouldn’t work terribly well. If Marvin is playing and he’s in the corner, maybe running the baseline, I could see it working.

Bob Green
02-24-2018, 06:08 AM
It was a 50/50 decision for me between Gary Trent and Wendell Carter. I went with Trent who has a nice mid-range game. Theo Pinson had a huge game for Carolina against Syracuse the other night and he was operating from the FT area. Here is his stat line:

23 points, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 turnovers, 3 steals

I could see Trent having similar success.

dukelifer
02-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Hmmm, 5 votes so far, for 4 different players.

I would prefer having Trent outside although he can handle that role. Carter may be the best option as he passes well and can shoot when set. I suspect K will experiment.

azzefkram
02-24-2018, 08:04 AM
Wendell. He's a willing passer, has some driving ability and is capable of hitting a foul line jumper. Marvin could be a choice if he plays.

Troublemaker
02-24-2018, 08:32 AM
I ultimately went with Wendell. I want to keep Grayson and Gary outside to stretch the zone, and of the other remaining options, Wendell is probably the best combination of passer and big target to receive the ball at the FT line area.

I'll kick myself for not voting for Trevon if it turns out to be him, though. Like Pinson, he wouldn't be in there to shoot jumpers from the FT area. But maybe he can make some plays going towards the basket -- short lobs to the big men, a floater, or if he's quick enough, even sneaking a layup attempt past Cuse's bigs. Ultimately, I went with Wendell because I'm not sure I trust Trevon to not pass for a bunch of turnovers if he's operating from in there. And it's easy to imagine Coach K playing O'Connell more in this game because of the need for shooters.

westwall
02-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Assuming Bagley is out, I think it would be interesting to try Trevon. He is a good passer, has hands that can protect the ball, leaves Grayson and Trent to shoot 3s, and with one dribble can go to the basket with a slight opening (my recorded vote).

I’m Bagley plays, then I would go with Carter.

UrinalCake
02-24-2018, 09:16 AM
It has to be one of the bigs. If a guard posts up in the free throw area then we have two bigs clogged in the lane and one of the top line defenders can simply collapse in to cover the middle. But when we bring a big into that area then it opens things up more because he has three shooters on the perimeter and can also work the high-low with the other big or can take the shot himself. I vote Carter because he has the outside jumper as well as the passing instincts. If Bagley plays then I imagine we’ll see him in that role some as well.

jv001
02-24-2018, 09:25 AM
It was 50-50 for Wendell and Gary. I went with Gary for 2 reasons (1) Gary can make that shot as he's shot well from the FT line and at 6'6" he can get the ball to Wendell on the low block.
(2) Wendell needs to be close to the basket unless he's shooting a 3 as the trailer down court. Either one is a good option. GoDuke!

Saratoga2
02-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Assuming Bagley is out, I think it would be interesting to try Trevon. He is a good passer, has hands that can protect the ball, leaves Grayson and Trent to shoot 3s, and with one dribble can go to the basket with a slight opening (my recorded vote).

If Bagley plays, I would go with him. Wendell is more physical inside while Bagley had a game that can allow him to do more from the top of the key. I suppose the question becomes would MBIII pass the ball, but he does have the tools.

jv001
02-24-2018, 09:48 AM

The biggest problem with Duval would be what if Cuse left him open for jumpers. He has trouble shooting FTs and has not been real good at making decisions with the at times. The Cuse zone has given us problems in the past and I don't want Trevon thrown into that situation. GoDuke!

CDu
02-24-2018, 10:12 AM

Duval was my thought too. Not only can he do all you listed, but he also has a nice floater.
I agree if Bagley plays, Carter is a nic option too. Those would be the two I would try in that role. I think it is good to attack it with multiple looks, not just a single guy in that role.

Listen to Quants
02-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Duval. My dear Dr. Watson when all other possibilities are eliminated the remaining, however unlikely, is true. :)

Carter and MBIII inside to rebound the miss or take the short pass, the shooters stay outside to stretch the zone and expand the hole.

My certainty level on this is low.

Troublemaker
02-24-2018, 08:20 PM
Congrats to the Wendell backers. He was used the most from the free throw area and made some nice passes to a fellow big for dunks.