PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #108 - EMERGENCY POD on the FBI Scandal and Duke's involvement

JasonEvans
02-23-2018, 08:21 PM
https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-108-emergency-fbi-investigation-pod

Sam and Jason hop on an Emergency Pod to give us a rundown of the breaking news from the FBI NCAA investigation. Wendell Carter and Duke are implicated, but not in a way that seems at all serious. Have a listen and we will explain everything!

-Jason "I am both mad at some of the reporting on this story and also cautious... folks, the idea that this is the meat of the FBI investigation is laughable" Evans

OldPhiKap
02-23-2018, 08:31 PM
I would suggest deleting the word “EMERGENCY” from the title, please. Not a panic situation.

“Special,” more like it.

$.02, friendly amendment.

ipatent
02-23-2018, 09:15 PM
The dinner with Villanova coaches is interesting. Villanova isn't mentioned in the Yahoo stories, but someone here posted that Andy Miller's client list included a lot of their former players.

Was it the runner who had dinner with the Villanova coaches and Izzo or was it Miller himself?

Fish80
02-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Who is the runner?

Neals384
02-23-2018, 09:55 PM
Who is the runner?

I dunno, but isn't it usually the kid who brings the drugs to your car after you have paid?

grad_devil
02-23-2018, 10:08 PM
I would suggest deleting the word “EMERGENCY” from the title, please. Not a panic situation.

“Special,” more like it.

$.02, friendly amendment.

Seconded.

Does that make $0.04?

SavDukeGrad
02-23-2018, 10:11 PM
The dinner with Villanova coaches is interesting. Villanova isn't mentioned in the Yahoo stories, but someone here posted that Andy Miller's client list included a lot of their former players.

Was it the runner who had dinner with the Villanova coaches and Izzo or was it Miller himself?

Regarding the meals that Christian Dawkins had with Tom Izzo, I stumbled across this article about Dawkins today.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20946451/how-christian-dawkins-went-unknown-central-figure-scandal-rocked-college-basketball

They obviously have a history. Dawkins is from Saginaw, and his father was the popular coach at Saginaw High School who had coached Draymond Green among others. There's a very sad story in the article about Dawkins' younger brother, but it indicates Tom Izzo knew the family pretty well.

JasonEvans
02-23-2018, 11:49 PM
Well, it took roughly an hour for events to make the pod at least a little bit dated. But, I don’t think the Sean Miller story invalidates anything we say on the pod.

I sure am glad I mentioned there could be more than just this expense report though! Ha!

Jason “and Duke fans should be careful about laughing too much at AZ... until we know the full extent of all this, we all should be at least a little bit worried” Evans

Bob Green
02-24-2018, 07:09 AM
Jason “and Duke fans should be careful about laughing too much at AZ... until we know the full extent of all this, we all should be at least a little bit worried” Evans

I've refrained from making any comments because all the facts are not on the table. The caution you suggest is spot on.

dbcooper
02-24-2018, 07:19 AM
Who is the runner?

uh umm..... calling Will Graves and PJ Hairston.:o

JasonEvans
02-24-2018, 07:28 AM

It was Christian Dawkins expense report that had items for meals with Izzo and with "Villanova coaches." As I said on the pod, there is nothing wrong with coaches having meals with someone associated with an agent, but the fact that it was an agent and associate who were so aggressive about paying players would really bother me if I was a fan of those programs.

-Jason "one point I wish I had made on the pod... an impact of all this is that I bet folks are a lot more reluctant to cheat going forward... at least, I would hope that is an impact" Evans

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-24-2018, 10:09 AM
I've refrained from making any comments because all the facts are not on the table. The caution you suggest is spot on.

Yeah, there has been an awful lot of high horse finger-wagging over the last months here. I would hope a board with a thread dedicated to "I am not going to jinx it" might be more circumspect.

richardjackson199
02-24-2018, 03:44 PM
I enjoyed the podcast

In response to call for things to discuss in next podcast, I'm sure you'll talk about Sean Miller and Arizona. I'd love to hear your take on the theory I posted in another thread:

"No clue, but I assume Miller has known since September that the FBI had taped calls of him.

I think the FBI arrested 4 assistant coaches because they want to flip them against the head coaches."

I know we aren't in the FBI or in Miller's head. But it's a theory. We'll see what happens from here.