PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Football Tickets On Sale

devildeac
02-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Thanks to Bob Green for this alert:

Football Tickets On Sale:

http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/5467751.pdf

Prices are cheaper if you buy early (before 5 pm on 4/13).

(Note to Bob: I deleted the first link you provided. It worked "elsewhere" but went to a general athletic page from here. Sorry.)

BigWayne
02-20-2018, 08:12 PM
The general web page link is here. (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211701397&DB_OEM_ID=4200)
Tested it in Firefox and IE.

4Gen
02-21-2018, 07:34 AM
A P5 football game is quite an outing, and Duke is virtually giving away tickets. I buy some to give away and I've converted several families into Duke fans.

budwom
02-21-2018, 08:40 AM
A P5 football game is quite an outing, and Duke is virtually giving away tickets. I buy some to give away and I've converted several families into Duke fans.

I know I gripe about this incessantly, but I really hope we show improvement so that fewer of our games are scheduled for noon, especially (but not limited to) September.
It fouls up tailgating, and no sane person enjoys sitting in the September noon sun in Durham.

devildeac
02-21-2018, 10:11 AM
I know I gripe about this incessantly, but I really hope we show improvement so that fewer of our games are scheduled for noon, especially (but not limited to) September.
It fouls up tailgating, and no sane person enjoys sitting in the September noon sun in Durham.

Just gotta make the proper beer (and food) choices and arrive earlier ;).

SPF 50 works, too. Gotta be fresh though, right Newton? :o

jimsumner
02-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Noon kickoffs in September in the south bother the TV honchos not one bit.

So, I'm not sure how Duke shows improvement in this area. TV says jump, schools ask how high.

Bob Green
02-21-2018, 03:06 PM
The Green Family season tickets have been renewed. :cool:

budwom
02-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Noon kickoffs in September in the south bother the TV honchos not one bit.

So, I'm not sure how Duke shows improvement in this area. TV says jump, schools ask how high.

I don't think you're getting the point, Jim. (Of course TV doesn't care about noon games). Lower rated games tend to be foisted off on the noon slot, and that's where we've been all too often.
If we show better performance, we're more apt to be featured at 3:30 or some other desirable time slot.

jimsumner
02-21-2018, 03:40 PM
I don't think you're getting the point, Jim. (Of course TV doesn't care about noon games). Lower rated games tend to be foisted off on the noon slot, and that's where we've been all too often.
If we show better performance, we're more apt to be featured at 3:30 or some other desirable time slot.

Duke's non-conference September games in recent years have included such notables as N.C. Central, Kansas, Northwestern, and post-scandal Baylor. Duke opens with Army this September.

Network execs drool over Kansas football.

I seem to recall Duke having noon kickoffs after pretty-good seasons. I just don't think Duke has much control over this and I have talked to enough people at Duke and at the ACC to have some idea what I'm talking about.

budwom
02-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Duke's non-conference September games in recent years have included such notables as N.C. Central, Kansas, Northwestern, and post-scandal Baylor. Duke opens with Army this September.

Network execs drool over Kansas football.

I seem to recall Duke having noon kickoffs after pretty-good seasons. I just don't think Duke has much control over this and I have talked to enough people at Duke and at the ACC to have some idea what I'm talking about.

Once again, Jim, I think you're missing the point. I never said Duke has control...because Duke doesn't have control...(outside of games like NCCU)...I'm talking about the fact that after the first few games of the season, game times are assigned by ESPN* (they pick the most attractive ones and assign them to ESPN or ESPN2 at 3:30 or later) and the ones they don't want get dropped into the ACC Network noon time slot, the booby prize.
The better we play, the better the chance we avoid the noon games, which are tough for folks who might want to tailgate (or who travel great distances to attend, like moi), less tough perhaps for the press types who only have to report to the buffet line for their gratis Chicken Tenders Royale... :cool:

*this is why the schedule often has a 10 (?) day hold placed by ESPN for the game time...they decide, depending upon the results of the ensuing week, which games they want to show when.
During our losing streak this past season, we predictably got relegated to the noon slot routinely. I'd love to avoid that.

chrishoke
02-21-2018, 04:27 PM
The Green Family season tickets have been renewed. :cool:

Hoke Family 4 season tickets renewed - that makes 56 years. :D

Bob Green
02-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Hoke Family 4 season tickets renewed - that makes 56 years. :D

That is absolutely awesome. :cool:

jimsumner
02-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Once again, Jim, I think you're missing the point. I never said Duke has control...because Duke doesn't have control...(outside of games like NCCU)...I'm talking about the fact that after the first few games of the season, game times are assigned by ESPN* (they pick the most attractive ones and assign them to ESPN or ESPN2 at 3:30 or later) and the ones they don't want get dropped into the ACC Network noon time slot, the booby prize.
The better we play, the better the chance we avoid the noon games, which are tough for folks who might want to tailgate (or who travel great distances to attend, like moi), less tough perhaps for the press types who only have to report to the buffet line for their gratis Chicken Tenders Royale... :cool:

*this is why the schedule often has a 10 (?) day hold placed by ESPN for the game time...they decide, depending upon the results of the ensuing week, which games they want to show when.
During our losing streak this past season, we predictably got relegated to the noon slot routinely. I'd love to avoid that.

True. But by that point, the worst of the September weather is moderating. Duke isn't going to be playing ACC games in early September, they're going to be playing Troy or Tulane.

We were talking about hot noon games in September, weren't we?

Which non-conference games should Duke be scheduling? I think Northwestern is a great choice, good enough for a resume-booster if Duke wins, but not so good that Duke has no chance. Duke and Northwestern have played early September games in Wade, both solid teams, coming off bowl games. And they've been at noon, or 12:15.

Playing better once conference play begins helps but only to a degree. Duke is a small, academically elite university with a small student body, a small stadium and a small and scattered alumni base. Duke is never going to be as attractive to TV folks as Virginia Tech, NC State or UVa and that Duke will always be butting against that demographic reality.

And I hope there's a chicken tender left at midnight when I'm transcribing interviews off my iPhone while you're watching the U.S, beat Canada for the gold.