PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Allen named National and ACC Player of the Week

Bob Green
02-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Congratulations to Grayson Allen!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211701452&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke senior guard Grayson Allen earned a pair of weekly awards this week as the Citizen Naismith Trophy named him National Player of the Week and the ACC tapped him as Player of the Week.

MartyClark
02-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Congratulations to Grayson Allen!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211701452&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Thanks Bob. I am so happy to see this kid have a late season resurgence.

Devilwin
02-19-2018, 04:04 PM
Congrats to him!:cool:

proelitedota
02-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Just in time!

chrishoke
02-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Very happy for Grayson!

mattman91
02-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Go Grayson!

We are lucky to have #3.

devildeac
02-19-2018, 04:34 PM
I guess a description might be flagrant one could say. (:o)

Huge congrats!

rsvman
02-19-2018, 04:35 PM
I guess a description might be flagrant one could say. (:o)

Huge congrats!

Wow. That was a foul post. :rolleyes:

weezie
02-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Atta boy Grayson! Well deserved. Very proud of him!

devildeac
02-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Wow. That was a foul post. :rolleyes:

Common for me.

It's nice to see "this" Grayson back and will be very interesting to see how he performs when MB3 is back in the line-up.

elvis14
02-19-2018, 08:23 PM
That's going to piss off the haters and cheaters....which is just beautiful!

jv001
02-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Great to see something good happen for Grayson. He's been the consummate team player and a great captain this season. Plus there's still more awards left for our senior captain. Like ACCT MVP and awards in the NCAAT. GoDuke!

gep
02-19-2018, 10:51 PM
WOW!!! This is SO GREAT. Recognition. Article says 4th career ACC POTW... and first NPOTW??? Maybe this is Grayson's coming out party. :cool:

wobatus
02-20-2018, 05:59 AM
Does the week include this past Sunday? Clemson game?

I think Matt Mobley deserved it. 30 and 9 against La Salle and 26 and 9 against Rhode Island as Bonnies end Rhode Island’s 16 game A-10 streak. Allen had a great week, no doubt. But 28 ppg and 9 rpg from a 6’3” guard to maybe put them in the NCAAs gets my vote. He split A-10 POW honors with Davidson’s Peyton Aldridge, who averaged 30.5/12.5. Davidson may have an outside shot. They need to win out, which would include quadrant I wins home against Rhode Island and @ St. Bonaventure. That makes them 14-4, 19-10. They’d likely need 2 A-10 tourney wins. Even 21-11 might not do it.

BigZ
02-20-2018, 06:33 AM
As long as he is MOP I'm good

OldPhiKap
02-20-2018, 07:31 AM
Very happy for GA. Finish strong!

Not many leave Duke with two National Championship banners hanging. Go get it!

jv001
02-20-2018, 09:21 AM
Does the week include this past Sunday? Clemson game?

I think Matt Mobley deserved it. 30 and 9 against La Salle and 26 and 9 against Rhode Island as Bonnies end Rhode Island’s 16 game A-10 streak. Allen had a great week, no doubt. But 28 ppg and 9 rpg from a 6’3” guard to maybe put them in the NCAAs gets my vote. He split A-10 POW honors with Davidson’s Peyton Aldridge, who averaged 30.5/12.5. Davidson may have an outside shot. They need to win out, which would include quadrant I wins home against Rhode Island and @ St. Bonaventure. That makes them 14-4, 19-10. They’d likely need 2 A-10 tourney wins. Even 21-11 might not do it.

You might be correct but Matt didn't have to play in Littlejohn and Grayson's games were against ACC competition. Big difference. GoDuke!

wobatus
02-20-2018, 11:43 AM
You might be correct but Matt didn't have to play in Littlejohn and Grayson's games were against ACC competition. Big difference. GoDuke!

Fair point. And the RI game was a home game. But consider also that Duke was a 2.5 point favorite (per one line I saw) against Clemson. Duke without Bagley, Clemson without Grantham or Mitchell.

St. Bonaventure was a 2.5 underdog. Against Danny Hurley's Rhode island, which is 8th in RPI, 29 in Kenpom (Bonnies now 27 in RPI themselves). In a pretty much must-win game for the Bonnies. Duke and Clemson were playing for ACC and NCAA tournament seeding. So was Rhode island. St. Bonaventure may have been on the outside looking in. Now they seem to be in.

I'm not saying Mobley is a better player. He did carry his team to a huge win against an NCAA lock. This is a really good mid-major story. And may have been the game of the week. The Reilly Center was jumping.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/16/bucky-gleason-was-st-bonaventures-win-over-rhode-island-best-ever-in-reilly-center-its-up-there/

Not to take anything away from Allen, who played great ball, no doubt. I get celebrating it, because he is rising to the occasion and may have been getting overshadowed by the tremendous freshmen Bagley, Carter and Trent. I myself wasn't paying enough attention to how good Trent is and how well he has been playing, such is the level of Bagley's play and the attention he gets. So reminder, yeah, Grayson Allen is really good.

Just sending some love Mobley's way.

Tom B.
02-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Grayson is also now up to 1833 career points, averaging 15.1 ppg this season. At that clip, 11 more games would get him to 1999. So a reasonably deep run in the postseason (say, to the ACC championship game and at least the NCAA regional final) gives him a decent shot at joining the 2000 club.

boligrafous
02-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Fair point. And the RI game was a home game. But consider also that Duke was a 2.5 point favorite (per one line I saw) against Clemson. Duke without Bagley, Clemson without Grantham or Mitchell.

St. Bonaventure was a 2.5 underdog. Against Danny Hurley's Rhode island, which is 8th in RPI, 29 in Kenpom (Bonnies now 27 in RPI themselves). In a pretty much must-win game for the Bonnies. Duke and Clemson were playing for ACC and NCAA tournament seeding. So was Rhode island. St. Bonaventure may have been on the outside looking in. Now they seem to be in.

I'm not saying Mobley is a better player. He did carry his team to a huge win against an NCAA lock. This is a really good mid-major story. And may have been the game of the week. The Reilly Center was jumping.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/16/bucky-gleason-was-st-bonaventures-win-over-rhode-island-best-ever-in-reilly-center-its-up-there/

Not to take anything away from Allen, who played great ball, no doubt. I get celebrating it, because he is rising to the occasion and may have been getting overshadowed by the tremendous freshmen Bagley, Carter and Trent. I myself wasn't paying enough attention to how good Trent is and how well he has been playing, such is the level of Bagley's play and the attention he gets. So reminder, yeah, Grayson Allen is really good.

Just sending some love Mobley's way.

Thanks for pointing out Mobley and the St. Bonaventure games. I looked up the game recaps.

I want to point out that I hope defense factors into the Player of the Week awards. Last week Grayson was a leader on two excellent defensive efforts (and racked up 5 steals) while also putting up the offensive stats that were cited.

wobatus
02-20-2018, 07:33 PM
Thanks for pointing out Mobley and the St. Bonaventure games. I looked up the game recaps.

I want to point out that I hope defense factors into the Player of the Week awards. Last week Grayson was a leader on two excellent defensive efforts (and racked up 5 steals) while also putting up the offensive stats that were cited.

Allen had 3 steals per game and led excellent defensive efforts. His dRTG were excellent, better than Mobley’s. FWIW in game level samples. But Duk ‘s d was great, as we head towards March. So you may be right and that tipped it.

Furniture
02-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Fabulous!!!