PDA

View Full Version : Duke Number Five In AP Poll

Devilwin
02-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Duke is number Five this week.

atoomer0881
02-19-2018, 12:24 PM
Duke is number Five this week.

Just saw that! Glad to be back in the top 5.

budwom
02-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Fifth also in Coaches Poll

WHOneedsSOX
02-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Fifth also in Coaches Poll

Who votes in the Coaches Poll?

Kedsy
02-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Coaches.

:p

tbyers11
02-19-2018, 01:03 PM

32 coaches who vote in the poll are at the bottom of the link (http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/). Boeheim is the only ACC coach.

I'll disagree with Kedsy that coaches are actually voting. It is most likely the SIDs ;)

Kedsy
02-19-2018, 01:08 PM
32 coaches who vote in the poll are at the bottom of the link (http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/). Boeheim is the only ACC coach.

I'll disagree with Kedsy that coaches are actually voting. It is most likely the SIDs ;)

It was a joke. I've read that the coaches almost never vote in the coaches poll. In fact, I've heard stories about coaches being surprised about who they voted for.

cakerace
02-19-2018, 01:16 PM
I wonder what the record is for a one week jump into the top ten in February? Seven places up in seven days sounds much harder than seven places down this time of year...

tbyers11
02-19-2018, 01:17 PM
It was a joke. I've read that the coaches almost never vote in the coaches poll. In fact, I've heard stories about coaches being surprised about who they voted for.

I know. Hence the winky from me.

Kedsy
02-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Hence the winky from me.

Ah, I'm not very conversant in emojis. :o

mattman91
02-19-2018, 01:30 PM
#12 to #5. That seems like a very generous bump, not that I'm complaining.

CDu
02-19-2018, 02:11 PM

It's because a TON of teams ahead of us lost, some of whom lost twice.

But 5 feels about right relative to our ranking in metrics-based rankings. Not that the polls always reflect that, but it feels about right.

flyingdutchdevil
02-19-2018, 02:13 PM
It's because a TON of teams ahead of us lost, some of whom lost twice.

But 5 feels about right relative to our ranking in metrics-based rankings. Not that the polls always reflect that, but it feels about right.

If Bagley joins, do we automatically drop down 3 spots to #8?

I kid, I kid...

uh_no
02-19-2018, 02:59 PM
If Bagley joins, do we automatically drop down 3 spots to #8?

I kid, I kid...

I was actually wondering this.....selection committee takes injuries into account when evaluating teams if the injured player has reestablished himself on the team, and there was a clear difference in play.....given that we're obviously and clearly with bagley riding the bench all game, will the selection committee bump us down a few lines if he returns for the ACC tournament?

</s>

TKG
02-19-2018, 03:00 PM

Spurrier.

MarkD83
02-19-2018, 06:16 PM
Coaches.

:p

I needed a good laugh.

MarkD83
02-19-2018, 06:19 PM

Duke did just win on the road against the 11th ranked team in the nation. Looking at Duke's other wins this season, beating Clemson is the second best win other than beating MSU.

WVDUKEFAN
02-19-2018, 07:00 PM
How about Xavier still No. 4? Sorry. I just don't see it. The don't play a ranked team the rest of the year.

JasonEvans
02-20-2018, 10:25 AM
How about Xavier still No. 4? Sorry. I just don't see it. The don't play a ranked team the rest of the year.

The Musketeers are an interesting case study. The results based metrics (RPI #3, strength of record #2) really love them. But, the predictive measures (KenPom #12, BPI #13, Sagarin #13) don't think nearly as much of them. Pomeroy says they are the #3 team in the nation in terms of "Luck" meaning their record is a good bit better than his metrics would expect it to be.

So, are they really that good or have they just gotten the right bounces and caught teams at the right time to post a far better record than expected? Will their "luck" turn at some point or is this going to be one of those seasons where they don't seem all that great but their ability to "just win, baby!" allows them to make it a long way in the Big Dance? We should get an answer in the next 4 weeks ;)

-Jason "I know that if Duke is not a #1 seed, I'd be quite pleased to get them as the #1 seed in our region" Evans

TexHawk
02-20-2018, 10:39 AM

I also find it a little funny that Texas Tech lost to an unranked team and moved UP to #6. I wonder how often that's happened in the history of polling. I could see it if they had a big win earlier in the week to counter-balance the loss, but their other game was a 10 point win over Oklahoma's smoldering corpse.

Looking at the vote tallies, it looks like Tech did lose votes, but Purdue/Cincy lost more.