PDA

View Full Version : GTHC chant

PeteZaHut
02-17-2018, 08:45 PM
What's happened to the GTHC chant? I haven't heard it at the UNC game for the last few years. A few years ago, I remember Coach K yelling for everyone to top because of the eat I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. part in between. Any word on if he's put the nix on that chant?

I also miss the drive home safely chant. That seemed to die out when I was in school. The announcer that used to say it at the end of games had just retired, but I think the bigger reason was that students were worried about it upsetting Andre Dawkins, whose sister had just died in a car accident, which I always thought was a little ridiculous.

DU82
02-17-2018, 08:48 PM
What's happened to the GTHC chant? I haven't heard it at the UNC game for the last few years. A few years ago, I remember Coach K yelling for everyone to top because of the eat I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. part in between. Any word on if he's put the nix on that chant?

I also miss the drive home safely chant. That seemed to die out when I was in school. The announcer that used to say it at the end of games had just retired, but I think the bigger reason was that students were worried about it upsetting Andre Dawkins, whose sister had just died in a car accident, which I always thought was a little ridiculous.

The students purposely did not use that cheer at the game almost immediately after UNC-CH’s student body president was killed, and it really hasn’t returned in the years since.

The band played NA NA NA NA Hey Goodbye at the VT game for the first time in years.

PeteZaHut
02-17-2018, 08:58 PM
The students purposely did not use that cheer at the game almost immediately after UNC-CH’s student body president was killed, and it really hasn’t returned in the years since.

The band played NA NA NA NA Hey Goodbye at the VT game for the first time in years.

Apparently, that happened in March 2008. I got to Duke that fall. I remember drive home safely at the end of each win for at least 2 or 3 seasons

DU82
02-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Apparently, that happened in March 2008. I got to Duke that fall. I remember drive home safely at the end of each win for at least 2 or 3 seasons

I was writing about the GTHC cheer. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

PeteZaHut
02-17-2018, 09:06 PM
GTHC was definitely there when I was in school. Seems to be a more recent thing that it disappeared

BLPOG
02-17-2018, 09:10 PM
GTHC was alive and well while I was there. I finished undergrad in '12. I'm not sure why some think it's disappeared. Maybe ESPN turns the volume down.

PeteZaHut
02-17-2018, 09:28 PM
I graduated the same year. I can say, not from watching on TV, but being at the games, that the chant wasn't done the last 2 years. We'll see what happens in a couple weeks

weezie
02-17-2018, 09:47 PM
The students purposely did not use that cheer at the game almost immediately after UNC-CH’s student body president was killed, and it really hasn’t returned in the years since...

I've been to every home hole game in the past umpteen years. Didn't notice it not being done? :confused:

Duke79UNLV77
02-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Maybe a “Go to Class, Carolina” chant would be appropriate.

22JumpShots
02-17-2018, 11:28 PM

This would be absolutely legendary.

aimo
02-18-2018, 04:13 PM
I've been to every home hole game in the past umpteen years. Didn't notice it not being done? :confused:

Yes, they do the GTHC cheer and will do it many times during the game on the 3rd. However, they have not been doing it throughout the season like they used to. I miss that. Always a good time to scream GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!!!!

aimo
02-18-2018, 04:17 PM

Coach K has NEVER silenced the GTHC cheer during a game with them, and I see no reason why he ever would. He may have yelled stop when they were chanting it during a game against someone else, believing they needed to concentrate on the current opponent. The expletive part you tried to mention above is in the fight song, and they sing that multiple times a game. Every game.

weezie
02-18-2018, 04:19 PM
...Always a good time to scream GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!!!!

Wholehearted agreement. Maybe not in the delivery room when your baby is being born but otherwise, in! I always enjoy the, "You're in Hell carowhiners, you're in Hell!"

And yes, of course there are plenty of unacceptable times but let's just try to keep the joke going, ok posting sharp-eyes?

uh_no
02-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Coach K has NEVER silenced the GTHC cheer during a game with them, and I see no reason why he ever would.

Sure he did. After Eve Carson's death, there were rumblings among the crazies that perhaps they should withhold during the carolina game. During the "team meeting" a student asked about it, and he said it shouldn't be used. The students, of course, obliged. It was a huge gesture at the time. As was pointed out, the chant was used almost on a game by game basis...so to refrain from using it in the game against the team to which it refers was a massive sign of respect.

I don't know whether that singular event is the definitive reason for its fall from popularity, but ever since then, it started to be used significantly less...to where we are now, where you won't hear it except for at the carolina game.

Cheers come and go. As people whine about here sometimes, "our house" is used after every win at home, now, instead of only reserved for big games. "goodbye" and "drive home safely" have largely become disused (though according to some band members i talked to, "goodbye" just wasn't in anyone's folios so they never played it....whether that is intentional or not, I don't know).

Duke95
02-18-2018, 04:49 PM
It's a stupid chant. We can do better than that.

OldPhiKap
02-18-2018, 05:01 PM
It's a stupid chant.

I beg to differ.

Duke95
02-18-2018, 05:05 PM
I beg to differ.

Now, that was an awesome chant!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-18-2018, 05:22 PM

On the contrary, it is always appropriate and always in good taste!

It has been noticeably absent this year at games. I've tried to start it a couple of times, but got nowhere. Perhaps the students do it before games or in K'ville? We usually get to our seats 10-15 minutes before tip-off and haven't heard it once all year.

HOPEFULLY, on March 3rd,http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif GO TO HELL carolina! GO TO HELL!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif will reverberate through the hallowed halls of Cameron! I'll certainly do my part http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

I have only once successfully started my favorite chant in Cameron. It was several years ago vs. Clemson, when the Pep-band performance was being recorded for the CD (available through the Duke store for those that don't have a copy). The label says there are 35 tracks, but there is a bonus track at the end - you can hear a lone voice (mine) ringing out, twice, and then the band and other fans pick up the chant! I play it often in my car on the way to games!http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

Maybe that bonus track will make an appearance on the DBR podcasts leading up to, and after, the March 3rd game????? Jason, Donald and Sam, I'm waiting!

DukieInKansas
02-18-2018, 07:09 PM
Wholehearted agreement. Maybe not in the delivery room when your baby is being born but otherwise, in! I always enjoy the, "You're in Hell carowhiners, you're in Hell!"

And yes, of course there are plenty of unacceptable times but let's just try to keep the joke going, ok posting sharp-eyes?

Are you saying the baby's first words should be GTH, C, GTH? I would have thought it would be a perfect start to a Blue Devil life. :D

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-18-2018, 07:23 PM

That was briefly visited once. I wish it were a standard.
Love, Ima

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Many of us don't regard them as our rivals anymore. A rival should be worthy. I really don't care where they go.
Love, Ima

OZZIE4DUKE
02-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Many of us don't regard them as our rivals anymore. A rival should be worthy. I really don't care where they go.
Love, Ima
But it would still be nice if they went to hell! 9F!

thedukelamere
02-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Are you saying the baby's first words should be GTH, C, GTH? I would have thought it would be a perfect start to a Blue Devil life. :D

If not, I think I might have been doing this parenting thing all wrong... In my defense, she needed to practice her letters.

Turk
02-19-2018, 11:23 AM
One way to pat ourselves on the back is to find examples of boorish behavior elsewhere.

Last week, I was in Providence and caught a game, where the Friars took down a stone-cold Villanova team, in a game that was unevenly officiated (both ways), especially in regards to the block / charge. When it was Jay Wright's turn to go ballistic, the Friars student section chanted "Eff You, Jay Wright". Gotta give em credit for cutting right to the chase on that one.

Also, since Providence does not play in an on-campus arena, they are allowed to sell beer. At the TV timeouts, it seems the students have a little game going. If they get themselves on the jumbotron (or whatever we call the big arena TV these days), everyone on camera chugs their beer. Dilly dilly!

Needless to say, I was thoroughly entertained and not just by the basketball; I'm not so sure about the Dominicans. I wonder if an "avuncular letter" is in Providence's future...

Somehow, GTHC seems like small potatoes these days...

uh_no
02-19-2018, 11:30 AM
I wonder if an "avuncular letter" is in Providence's future...

It's rumored that after the bad call, when the fans started chanting at him, Jay exclaimed dejectedly to one of his assistants:

"Sigh. Out of the frying pan.....and into the friar!"

Duke79UNLV77
02-19-2018, 11:34 AM
Coach K has NEVER silenced the GTHC cheer during a game with them, and I see no reason why he ever would. He may have yelled stop when they were chanting it during a game against someone else, believing they needed to concentrate on the current opponent. The expletive part you tried to mention above is in the fight song, and they sing that multiple times a game. Every game.

When I was there, on the night before a Carolina game when K let everybody in the gym, he said he did not like the chant because he wanted the focus to be on Duke, rather than the opponent. Back then, we would do anything for K, but we wouldn't do that. (Sorry for the reference to a terrible song.) We not only chanted it when we played UNC, but sometimes when we were playing other teams. I never saw K do anything to try to stop it during a game.

Truth&Justise
02-19-2018, 11:52 AM

I remember during the 2012 game against UNC, during a lull the Crazies got going with a rousing chant of "Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell, EAT S**T!" and repeated it a couple of times. Coach K jumped up from his seat and strongly waved off the crowd. The chant died out.

My guess? He objected to the expletives. I concur. I think it cheapens the chant -- we're better than that! IMO, it's a much, much better chant if it's "Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell, BEAT STATE!" Though I'm all ears for other two-syllable phrases that could finish it it.

Stray Gator
02-19-2018, 11:59 AM
i remember during the 2012 game against unc, during a lull the crazies got going with a rousing chant of "go to hell carolina, go to hell, eat s**t!" and repeated it a couple of times. Coach k jumped up from his seat and strongly waved off the crowd. The chant died out.

My guess? He objected to the expletives. I concur. I think it cheapens the chant -- we're better than that! Imo, it's a much, much better chant if it's "go to hell carolina, go to hell, beat state!" though i'm all ears for other two-syllable phrases that could finish it it.

"Don't Cheat!"

rsvman
02-19-2018, 12:31 PM
"Don't Cheat!"
LOL. This is perfect.

How about "Go to class, Carolina, go to class! Don't cheat!"

OldPhiKap
02-19-2018, 12:35 PM
I remember during the 2012 game against UNC, during a lull the Crazies got going with a rousing chant of "Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell, EAT S**T!" and repeated it a couple of times. Coach K jumped up from his seat and strongly waved off the crowd. The chant died out.

My guess? He objected to the expletives. I concur. I think it cheapens the chant -- we're better than that! IMO, it's a much, much better chant if it's "Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell, BEAT STATE!" Though I'm all ears for other two-syllable phrases that could finish it it.

The rejoinder to GTH,C,GTH used to be “Eat ——, Dean Smith. Eat ——“. Clapclap

brevity
02-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Last week, I was in Providence and caught a game, where the Friars took down a stone-cold Villanova team, in a game that was unevenly officiated (both ways), especially in regards to the block / charge. When it was Jay Wright's turn to go ballistic, the Friars student section chanted "Eff You, Jay Wright". Gotta give em credit for cutting right to the chase on that one.

Also, since Providence does not play in an on-campus arena, they are allowed to sell beer. At the TV timeouts, it seems the students have a little game going. If they get themselves on the jumbotron (or whatever we call the big arena TV these days), everyone on camera chugs their beer. Dilly dilly!

Needless to say, I was thoroughly entertained and not just by the basketball; I'm not so sure about the Dominicans. I wonder if an "avuncular letter" is in Providence's future...

Ah, the avuncular letter. Providence can admonish its students by saying, "God would disapprove, and so would his former teammates, like Derrick Brown, Jamel Thomas, and Austin Croshere."

IrishDevil
02-19-2018, 03:31 PM
Agree with the sentiment here that GTH, C, GTH should be a mainstay going forward as it has been in the past.

The beginning of that chant, however, may need updating. With apologies to PackMan:

If you can't go to college, go to State.
If you can't go to State, go to jail.
If you can't go to jail, go to Hell.
Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell!

Whither now, in light of "U"NC's turning its U for a few more Ws? It seems like that first clause now reads like the intro of a Jeff Foxworthy joke - If you can't go to college, you might be a Tar Heel athlete.

Or maybe:

If you can't go to college, don't you fret.
If you're a Tar Heel athlete, you're all set,
as long as you can stand the fetid smell.
Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell!

msdukie
02-19-2018, 09:41 PM

If "Go to Hell Carolina, Go To Hell!" was chanted by an individual over and over every second of their life from birth to death, it would not be enough.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-19-2018, 10:06 PM
If "Go to Hell Carolina, Go To Hell!" was chanted by an individual over and over every second of their life from birth to death, it would not be enough.
So we’ll said! You are appropriately Zporked! GTHc!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-19-2018, 10:09 PM

I think they should implement this immediately!

As for the GTHC cheer - I figured that sort of passed its sell by date by about 91-92, when we eclipsed them as top dawg around here....

royalblue
02-20-2018, 04:04 AM

Great someone gets me

OldPhiKap
02-20-2018, 07:14 AM

That’s why you put it on your tombstone, too.

devilseven
02-20-2018, 08:16 AM
I don't think we should do that cheer at all. It's showing them way too much respect. They should be greeted with total silence, OR If anything should be chanted, it should be CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Go To Hell Carolina is a harmless, traditional chant. That's all. It precedes Krzyzewski and even goes back to a gentler time in our culture. Although he is on track trying to keep the focus on Duke, he missed the point in trying to squelch it so his request never gained any traction. He realized it and let it go.

Our sister school, Vanderbilt, uses the same chant against Tennessee.

Go To Hell Carolina! Live forever.
Love, Ima

PS "You suck", however, is another story. Vulgarity is no substitute for wit. And besides, why would we be proud of beating somebody who sucks? Makes no sense.

OldPhiKap
02-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Go To Hell Carolina is a harmless, traditional chant. That's all. It precedes Krzyzewski and even goes back to a gentler time in our culture. Although he is on track trying to keep the focus on Duke, he missed the point in trying to squelch it so his request never gained any traction. He realized it and let it go.

Our sister school, Vanderbilt, uses the same chant against Tennessee.

Go To Hell Carolina! Live forever.
Love, Ima

PS "You suck", however, is another story. Vulgarity is no substitute for wit. And besides, why would we be proud of beating somebody who sucks? Makes no sense.

If you ask a GT grad what the good word is, (s)he will answer "to Hell with Georgia."

It's in their fight song too. A little sexist for the times, but history is what it is:

"Oh! If I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in White and Gold,
And put her on the campus to cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what he'd do—
He would yell, 'To hell with Georgia!' like his daddy used to do.

"I'm a wramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech, and a hell of an engineer . . . ."

thedukelamere
02-20-2018, 10:27 AM
I don't think we should do that cheer at all. It's showing them way too much respect. They should be greeted with total silence, OR If anything should be chanted, it should be CHEATERS, CHEATERS, CHEATERS.

Can you imagine how powerful it would be if we borrowed a page from Taylor University and the Crazies were dead silent for the first x minutes of each Cheat game? Every point they scored during those x minutes would be met with a resounding "Go To Class" or "Roy Knew" or "Cheeeeeeeeeeeateeeeeeers." It would FORCE the talking heads to discuss the cheating and bring attention each year to the greatest injustice in collegiate athletics.

PeteZaHut
03-04-2018, 03:38 PM
I heard it once during pregame last night, that was it. I don't get it

uh_no
03-04-2018, 03:50 PM

perhaps the students were too busy chanting "air ball" at Joel Airy. I'm kinda okay with that. The students were in good form.

DU82
03-04-2018, 04:58 PM
perhaps the students were too busy chanting "air ball" at Joel Airy. I'm kinda okay with that. The students were in good form.

Or saving it to unveil the huge sign after the game.

Pghdukie
03-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Curious to know if any recruits (of which Duke and Holes are both after) were impressed by the entire atmosphere of Cameron and will tell Roy - Sorry !

msdukie
03-04-2018, 11:31 PM

And I was at the women's Duke-UNC game the week before and never heard it.

Devilwin
03-05-2018, 06:39 AM
No need to tell them to go to Hell. We all know they are gonna wind up there anyway...:cool:

left_hook_lacey
03-05-2018, 06:43 AM
Sort of related, I noticed we did bring back the "hi Joel, you suck!" chant during starting lineups. Is this new, or do we bring this back for the cheats every year? I thought we abandoned this at coach k's request years ago. Maybe they still do it, but we don't get to see the starting lineups on TV that much?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-05-2018, 06:44 AM
Or saving it to unveil the huge sign after the game.
Caught a quick glimpse of that on TV but then ESPN panned away and would not show it.

How did they get that huge banner in there?

Native
03-05-2018, 06:52 AM

Not to give away all of the state secrets, but typically some subset of the Line Monitors will bring it in during pre-game prior to the student doors opening, as they frequently move in and out of Cameron while students are being admitted.

With a banner that size, you also have to be very careful to remember which way it's rolled up or folded up. Unveiling it backwards or upside-down would be a disaster. And you can't really coordinate that once 1200 screaming drunk college students are standing right on top of it, so you have to arrange it before anyone gets into 17, really.

We brought this one in pregame during the Notre Dame shellacking during my senior year, though it seems we have now been one-upped.

DU82
03-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Caught a quick glimpse of that on TV but then ESPN panned away and would not show it.

I got a blurry picture of it from the end zone.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Curiosity....kind of off topic but kind of on topic....how many students are there in the always "9314" attendance figure that is given. I suspect it is a range...more crammed for some games than others....but what, 2000 maybe?

TruBlu
03-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Sort of related, I noticed we did bring back the "hi Joel, you suck!" chant during starting lineups. Is this new, or do we bring this back for the cheats every year? I thought we abandoned this at coach k's request years ago. Maybe they still do it, but we don't get to see the starting lineups on TV that much?

Regrettably, this has become the norm for just about every game. I can’t recall if it was done for the exhibition games, but I recall hearing it for most, if not all, of the conference game opponents.

It should stop, IMHO.

uh_no
03-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Curiosity...kind of off topic but kind of on topic...how many students are there in the always "9314" attendance figure that is given. I suspect it is a range...more crammed for some games than others...but what, 2000 maybe?

a line monitor would be able to be more precise, but my understanding is that it's 1600+ in section 17, but less than 2k.

thedukelamere
03-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Regrettably, this has become the norm for just about every game. I can’t recall if it was done for the exhibition games, but I recall hearing it for most, if not all, of the conference game opponents.

It should stop, IMHO.

Reminds me a little of my freshman year at Purdue; not sure if anyone here has been to or seen a Boilermaker football game, but after each 1st down the band picks up, plays the end of the fight song, and the student section chants "1, 2, 3, FIRST DOWN" while pointing in the direction of the first down. I thought it was pretty cool when the team was respectable (Cowboy Kyle Orton's last year), but somewhere during my first year at Purdue all of the frats and sororities must have gotten together and decided to add in the word "B*tch" at the end of the cheer. Took it from something cool that they'd show on tv to something sophomoric that the children in the audience would hear ad nauseam. It has gotten better in recent years, if only because Purdue fails to get as many 1st downs.

TL:DR - I always thought the "HI JOEL!!" on it's own was cool; we know who you are, you're in our house, and over the next 40+ minutes we're going to do everything we can to make you cry on the bus back to Chapel Hell. "You Suck!" adds nothing, IMHO.

aimo
03-05-2018, 10:11 AM

Me neither. That's a classic traditional Duke chant that should never go away. The airball chant was tired.

I also miss the DE-FENSE chant. The stadium used to rock with it and it really seemed to pump up the players on D. Even if other schools do it, nobody does it like Cameron.

Personally my favorite spirit moment was Ken Jeong dancing his rear-end off!

DU82
03-05-2018, 01:42 PM
There was one guy in my section who, instead of “You Suck” yelled “You Cheat!” But it seems I wasn’t loud enough.

ikiru36
03-05-2018, 03:55 PM
There was one guy in my section who, instead of “You Suck” yelled “You Cheat!” But it seems I wasn’t loud enough.

I did the exact same thing. Too bad we perhaps weren't near one another or we might have started something.

I've never been a fan of the 'You Suck' cheer though I love waving 'Hi' and greeting by name, in between steady booing.

I also don't love the 'Eat $h!t!' after 'Carolina, go to Hell' in the Fight Song. I had stubbornly retained 'Beat State' until this year when it has been replaced by 'Don't Cheat!' Still working on that one, but it has felt right enough this year.

Truth&Justise
03-05-2018, 04:41 PM
I did the exact same thing. Too bad we perhaps weren't near one another or we might have started something.

I've never been a fan of the 'You Suck' cheer though I love waving 'Hi' and greeting by name, in between steady booing.

I also don't love the 'Eat $h!t!' after 'Carolina, go to Hell' in the Fight Song. I had stubbornly retained 'Beat State' until this year when it has been replaced by 'Don't Cheat!' Still working on that one, but it has felt right enough this year.

Amen.

BigWayne
03-29-2018, 02:44 PM
According to the pope, GTHCGTH is now obsolete. (https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/pope-francis-there-no-hell)

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2018, 03:09 PM
According to the pope, GTHCGTH is now obsolete. (https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/pope-francis-there-no-hell)

Francis hasn't been to the Dean Dome.

devildeac
03-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Francis hasn't been to the Dean Dome, aka the dean's myth center.

Clarification. ;)

PeteZaHut
03-29-2018, 06:10 PM
What did the banner say that they brought out after the game? I couldn't make it out in that picture

jjredickrules
03-29-2018, 07:07 PM

"Disappear, Carolina, Disappear"

I think that could work.