PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ Clemson (Sun 2/18, 1:00 p.m. on ACCN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DavidBenAkiva
02-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Duke hits the road on Sunday for a faceoff with Clemson for sole possession of #2 in the ACC standings. Clemson is coming off of a painful overtime loss at Florida State. After losing senior forward Donte Grantham earlier in ACC play, starting guard Shelton Mitchell was hospitalized after being knocked unconscious in the waning minutes of overtime against FSU. It appears the Mitchell suffered a concussion. His status for Sunday is up in the air. With his status in doubt, the Tigers have a painfully thin rotation. In conference play, only 8 Tigers have played 12 of the 13 games. The team could be down to 7 regulars.

Clemson features a dynamic trio of guards in the aforementioned Mitchell, junior Marcquise Reed, and senior Gabe DeVoe. The senior DeVoe is the gunner of the group, knocking down 43.4% of his 3's from long range on 5.8 attempts per game. Reed is a decent and frequent shooter from range as well, hitting 37.3% on 5 attempts per game. Both Reed and DeVoe are pretty good rebounders, too, pulling in 4.6 per game. Mitchell is more or less the point guard, although Reed has nearly as many assists. If Mitchell is out, expect Reed to take on the bulk of the ball-handling responsibilities. Expect to see some of 6'4" freshman guard Clyde Trapp to play a larger role on Sunday. He is averaging a mere 1.3 pts per game in conference play.

Inside, Clemson features a trio of transfers, headlined by rugged 6'9" Elijah Thomas. The Texas A&M transfer holds down the middle for the Tigers and leads the team in blocked shots. He has a few good post moves and scores a little, too. Michigan grad transfer and senior Mark Donnal is not a prolific scorer, but he averages a few points (3.8) and rebounds (1.9) while hitting a 3 pointer or two per game. While he is listed at 6'9" 240, he appears more slight of frame. Croatian David Skara, a junior transfer by way of Valparaiso University, is the other forward. He has a reputation as a stretch 4 but has been having trouble stretching defenses with his 26.7% 3-point shooting on the season. He is even more slight of frame than Donnal at 6'8" and 215 pounds. Rounding out the forwards is 6'7" freshman forward Aamir Simms. He has nearly interchangeable stats with Skara if slightly worse from outside (25.9%) and terrible from the free throw line (44.4%).

Without Mitchell, the Tigers might employ a few of their deep reserve guards and forwards, none of whom have made much of an impact this season. Behind Thomas, Clemson is also going to miss leading rebounder Donte Grantham. There isn't another body on their team that can physically match up with Wendell Carter, Jr. or Marques Bolden. On defense, Duke will have to key in on the Clemson shooters and force turnovers. The Tigers coughed the ball up 21 times against FSU. As K has decided that zone is the way to go, communication in a hostile environment will also be key to prevent open looks. Even without Marvin Bagley III, Duke should have a size and depth advantage against Clemson. With Bagley III, that advantage should be enormous. As is usually the case, playing well on defense will be the key for this Duke team.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
As this game tips, Clemson will be ranked ahead of Duke.....I can't remember the last time that happened (and I can remember when it happened regularly, back when Duke beat Clemson in football regularly....)

This is going to be one of those " can we perform on this stage" games as K likes to say. The stage will be rocking! This arena has been a house of horrors for Duke over the years.

CDu
02-15-2018, 10:28 AM
Big game coming up this weekend, as we face a talented Clemson team in Littlejohn. We may have caught a break though, as one of their best players was hospitalized with a concussion during their loss last night in Tallahassee. I suspect he's at best questionable, and most likely out this weekend. But we'll see. If so, it would be a tough loss for Clemson, who is already playing without one of their best and most experienced players (Grantham, ACL).

Clemson is a very stout defensive team. They don't force many turnovers, but they rebound the hell out of the ball on defense, and really challenge you on 2pt shots. And despite being a very physical defense, they don't foul much. It's a really well-coached, VERY experienced group. On offense, Clemson's best attribute is their shooting. They are essentially a top-50 team from 3 and the line. They are smallish, so they don't score quite as well inside the line (largely because they shoot a lot of jumpers. But they are quite capable there too. They play a pretty slow pace (not UVa slow, but 276th in the country in pace), which will play nicely for our short rotation.

Centers: Elijah Thomas (6'9", 240lb junior transfer from Texas A&M) is the man in the middle. Thomas is a very athletic, and very skilled big man who is a bit underutilized by Clemson in my opinion. He's a handful on the blocks and gave us trouble in the first meeting last year. We'll need to keep track of him if we stay in zone. Thomas is also an elite rebounder (on both ends) and shotblocker. He's a real force inside. The issue for him is foul trouble. He's lost a lot of minutes this year due to foul trouble. Hopefully that continues this weekend. Mark Donnal (6'9", 230lb grad transfer from Michigan) is technically the backup center, although he is more of a stretch-big than a true center. He's a very capable 3pt shooter if left alone out there, but not much of a presence inside. Doesn't rebound well or block shots. Still, he's not a bad pairing with Thomas.

Forwards: Aamir Simms (6'7", 235lb freshman) is the usual starting PF. Simms is a rugged, athletic, blue-collar forward who is sort of a poor-man's Elijah Thomas. Not a very consistent offensive presence away from the basket, but he brings a lot of energy, athleticism, and physicality/toughness to the team. A very nice role player for the Tigers. Donnal will also play some at PF next to Thomas. David Skara (6'8", 210lb junior transfer from Croatia via Valpo) is a combo forward who plays heavy minutes typically off the bench. Skara is a tough kid, with decent athleticism and a decent perimeter shot. He's also a terrific positional defensive player; not a wow-you type athletic defender, but just a really good on-ball defender. Skara gives you max effort out there, and really knows his role. If Mitchell is out, Skara might wind up starting at SF.

Wings: The loss of Grantham really changed the dynamics of the Tigers, as he was playing the best ball on the team this year. The senior was a do-it-all wing/forward who created mismatches all over the floor. Without him, the team looks a lot more traditional, and with less talent (obviously). Still, they are very good in the starting wing department. Marquise Reed (6'3", 190lb junior transfer from Robert Morris) is the star. Reed is a dynamite all-around combo-guard scorer blessed with tremendous strength and athleticism, capable of playing PG or SG. He is also a fantastic shooter with supreme confidence. With even a little space, he can light you up. Reed has been one of the best players in the ACC this year. Beside him is Gabe DeVoe (6'3", 205lb senior). DeVoe deserves a LOT of credit for dramatically improving his game this year. Prior to this season, DeVoe was a blue-collar, glue guy type who did the little things well but wasn't much of a scorer. He is a very strong, very athletic wing capable of defending 3-4 spots on the floor. But this year, he's added a really good shot to his arsenal, hitting 43% of 3s on nearly 6 attempts per game. And it's not a fluke: he is also shooting a career-best 77% from the line. DeVoe plays almost exclusively off-ball, allowing the Tigers' playmaking guards to set him up for open jumpers. But he's quite dangerous in that role. Clyde Trapp (6'4", 190lb freshman) is the third wing. Trapp is a terrific shooter who does just a little of everything else but nothing specific of note. He'll have to play heavier minutes in this one if Mitchell is out. And they may have to bring Scott Spencer (6'6", 190lb sophomore) off the bench for a few minutes as well. Spencer is just overmatched at this level.

Guards: Shelton Mitchell (6'3", 195lb junor transfer from Vanderbilt) is the starting PG, although as noted earlier he may miss this one. Mitchell is almost a carbon copy of Reed, but just a bit more PG-oriented. Great athlete, strong, very good with the ball, terrific shooter, uber-confident. If he doesn't play, that REALLY hurts Clemson, as they don't have another guard at the level of Reed and Mitchell. If he does, Clemson will be a handful. If he doesn't, it's hard to see them having the depth to get it done, and they'll have to rely heavily on the crowd to give them a chance.

Mitchell's availability changes everything. Without him, they really only have one truly capable ballhandler. Reed moves to the point and will be asked to play 40 minutes. DeVoe moves to SG and will also be asked to go 40. Skara or Trapp (probably Skara) will move from the bench to the starting lineup, with the other being asked to be the fourth guard/wing player. And they'll have to hope that the trio of Thomas, Donnal, and Simms stays out of foul trouble enough to stick to that frontcourt rotation. With Mitchell, they have a very strong top-7 and a solid 8th man in Trapp.

I would expect to see the zone again this weekend to mitigate Reed's dribble penetration. Perhaps with some 3/4 court trapping to make Reed expend some energy and get the ball into the hands of guys who aren't comfortable dribbling.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2018, 10:32 AM
Littlejohn is a great atmosphere. This will be a war.

ncexnyc
02-15-2018, 11:10 AM
I've never seen a player taken off the court the way Mitchell was taken off last night. They had a two guys, one under each elbow and they basically dragged the kid off the court, as Mitchell's feet were just dragging along the court no movement at all. You'd think they would have had a wheelchair handy to help the young man off.

TruBlu
02-15-2018, 12:26 PM
I've never seen a player taken off the court the way Mitchell was taken off last night. They had a two guys, one under each elbow and they basically dragged the kid off the court, as Mitchell's feet were just dragging along the court no movement at all. You'd think they would have had a wheelchair handy to help the young man off.

I agree. The way he was dragging his feet, my initial thought was that he was maybe paralyzed. Hope the young man is ok and it’s nothing serious.

Also, props to the two FSU players who saw him struggling to partially stand up and about to collapse. They immediately assisted him and began motioning for the Clemson folks to attend to him. They stayed with him until they arrived. All this while the outcome of the game was very much in doubt. Goes to show that even in the heat of the moment, these young men understand that there are more important things in life than the outcome of a ballgame.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Littlejohn is a great atmosphere. This will be a war.

It will be a war......and Littlejohn is a great atmosphere - about once a year most years.....and this will be it....like it is for Miami, Florida State, NC State and some others where many empty seats are visible for most games......but where they rock for Duke.

The price of being Duke. Annoying sometimes, but well worth it!! :)

SavDukeGrad
02-15-2018, 12:57 PM

Completely agree. I actually thought they should have taken him off the court on a stretcher. It was very uncomfortable to watch them just drag him off the court. And also surprising, given the attention to concussions these days.

Also agree about the FSU players. They immediately signaled the Clemson bench for help. And he was down for quite a while. Hope he's ok.

English
02-15-2018, 02:22 PM
Not a lot of news, but Mitchell remained hospitalized overnight in Tallahassee as a precaution, and is officially questionable for Sunday's game.

I hope for a speedy and full recovery for the guy. I also hope that the team-rallies-around-an-injured-player phenomenon doesn't show up for the game. It should be a battle.

kako
02-15-2018, 02:34 PM
I expect a very tough game. Littlejohn is often a rough place, and Clemson hasn't lost at home this year. Bagley or not - whether Duke can handle the road pressure or not is a key factor in my mind, perhaps the main one.

camion
02-15-2018, 02:44 PM

The announcers were saying that Mitchell banged his head on the floor, but I didn't see any contact of head with floor. It looked to me like he got whacked on the top of the head by one of the defenders. It didn't look like a dirty play to me, just one of those unfortunate things that happen with contact sometimes. My medically ignorant and uninformed diagnosis was that he hit the funny bone in his neck.

In any event Mitchell was immediately out of it, wobbly/woozy and unable to stand. I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

uh_no
02-15-2018, 03:41 PM
I agree. The way he was dragging his feet, my initial thought was that he was maybe paralyzed. Hope the young man is ok and it’s nothing serious.

Also, props to the two FSU players who saw him struggling to partially stand up and about to collapse. They immediately assisted him and began motioning for the Clemson folks to attend to him. They stayed with him until they arrived. All this while the outcome of the game was very much in doubt. Goes to show that even in the heat of the moment, these young men understand that there are more important things in life than the outcome of a ballgame.

he was clearly moving around, but wanting for balance and weak. first thought when someone loses balance after a head shot is concussion.

English
02-15-2018, 03:47 PM
The announcers were saying that Mitchell banged his head on the floor, but I didn't see any contact of head with floor. It looked to me like he got whacked on the top of the head by one of the defenders. It didn't look like a dirty play to me, just one of those unfortunate things that happen with contact sometimes. My medically ignorant and uninformed diagnosis was that he hit the funny bone in his neck.

In any event Mitchell was immediately out of it, wobbly/woozy and unable to stand. I wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

He very clearly got a wack on the top of the head from one of the defender's elbows--not a malicious hit, but the slo-mo replay left no doubt. Equally clearly, he never hit his head on the floor.

Bob Green
02-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Per ESPN, Mitchell is out of the hospital and in concussion protocol. Hopefully he has a speedy and full recovery.

JasonEvans
02-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Per ESPN, Mitchell is out of the hospital and in concussion protocol. Hopefully he has a speedy and full recovery.

The ESPN article (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22455327/shelton-mitchell-clemson-tigers-concussion-protocol-being-hit-head) has little to add beyond what Bob reported except to say that Brownell will update Mitchell's condition on Friday. I just can't imagine a kid with a concussion like that could play this weekend. Pity for him and his team, though it gives them a convenient excuse should they lose to Duke ;)

HereBeforeCoachK
02-15-2018, 07:02 PM
He very clearly got a wack on the top of the head from one of the defender's elbows--not a malicious hit, but the slo-mo replay left no doubt. Equally clearly, he never hit his head on the floor.

True - and the elbow kind of looked like a glancing blow. I was sure it was the floor that caused it on the first angle, but then it's pretty clear it was not the floor from other angles.

Kind of like the wreck that killed Dale Earnhardt at Daytona......obviously it was bad, but it didn't look that bad.......(can you use a NASCAR analogy on a Duke forum???)

And yes, profs to the Seminole players who steadied him and called to the Clemson bench.

fuse
02-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Hopeful for another season progress statement win.

awhom111
02-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Here is the link for the list of stations carrying the game as well the free, unrestricted viewing option online:
http://theacc.com/sports/2017/12/9/acc-network-mbb-180218.aspx

Blackout Map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3298321.jpg

Here are your options based on location:

Black:
-On TV on station listed in link above
-Online via link above

Green:
-On TV on station listed in link above
-On TV via ESPN College Extra if your provider carries it (DirecTV 789, AT&T U-Verse 615, Verizon FIOS 822, Spectrum cable subscribers should check local lineup)
-Online via link above
-Online via WatchESPN

gep
02-15-2018, 11:35 PM
True - and the elbow kind of looked like a glancing blow. I was sure it was the floor that caused it on the first angle, but then it's pretty clear it was not the floor from other angles.

Kind of like the wreck that killed Dale Earnhardt at Daytona...obviously it was bad, but it didn't look that bad...(can you use a NASCAR analogy on a Duke forum???)

And yes, profs to the Seminole players who steadied him and called to the Clemson bench.

Yes... I watched the replay. The 2 FSU players were definitely concerned about Mitchell. And 1 FSU player continued to help even after the Clemson staff got to Mitchell. Major props to the FSU players.

Saratoga2
02-16-2018, 12:48 AM
Yes... I watched the replay. The 2 FSU players were definitely concerned about Mitchell. And 1 FSU player continued to help even after the Clemson staff got to Mitchell. Major props to the FSU players.The kids life

I wouldn't play him that soon with a concussion that required hospitalization for observation. The kids life going forward is much more important than one college basketball game.

VA_BDevil
02-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Agree with this. Kudos to those FSU players, and to their parents and coaches for instilling sportsmanship and values. Hopefully we would see the same from our team under similar circumstances.

weezie
02-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Agree with this. Kudos to those FSU players, and to their parents and coaches for instilling sportsmanship and values. Hopefully we would see the same from our team under similar circumstances.

Absolutely agree but please, Lord, no injuries to any kids on the court anywhere. The older I get the more frightening this is all becoming!

SavDukeGrad
02-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Brownell said in his press conference this afternoon that Mitchell is unlikely to play on Sunday against Duke.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article200561054.html

cbarry
02-17-2018, 09:16 AM
Any news on Bagley's knee? It's been darn quiet from Duke and on these boards about the knee. I just have a really bad feeling inside about this... Vigil needed?...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Any news on Bagley's knee? It's been darn quiet from Duke and on these boards about the knee. I just have a really bad feeling inside about this... Vigil needed?...

I think there is some unspoken reverse-reverse-reverse jinx going on with the jinx silence. This board has had painful vigils over the years.

I suspect that expires is MB3, doesn't get floor time tomorrow, that radio silence expires and a vigil ensues.

jv001
02-17-2018, 09:38 AM
I think there is some unspoken reverse-reverse-reverse jinx going on with the jinx silence. This board has had painful vigils over the years.

I suspect that expires is MB3, doesn't get floor time tomorrow, that radio silence expires and a vigil ensues.

It's already started on one of the Blue Devil sites on Facebook. One poster said that the rumor around Durham is that Marvin will not play again this season. The internet, whoa I'm on the internet. :cool:GoDuke!

MarkD83
02-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Keep in mind the team we are seeing right now is the one we were so excited about in July.

cbarry
02-17-2018, 10:01 AM
That's the bad feeling I got in my stomach when Bagley sat out the second game...
I really, really hope Bagley is able to play again this season.

It's already started on one of the Blue Devil sites on Facebook. One poster said that the rumor around Durham is that Marvin will not play again this season. The internet, whoa I'm on the internet. :cool:GoDuke!

richardjackson199
02-17-2018, 10:04 AM

I think that rumor sounds just silly.

The Duke Coaches have said nothing to indicate Marvin is done for the season. It's been called a minor knee sprain and I believe the Duke beat writer was told something to the effect of not a big deal at all.

Grayson has said they're looking forward to bringing him back hopefully soon, but not sure when. K said something like incorporating him back in will be easy because he is unselfish. I think K said they were just being extra cautious with him.

When somebody is really hurt and Duke wants to be vague they say he is Out indefinitely with a grim expression like K said with Amile Jefferson.

I would gladly bet a pie with anybody that Marvin will play again this season for Duke. I have no idea if he will play at Clemson. I doubt it. No clue or insider knowledge, but Marvin will be back at some point. I'm pretty sure he'll be playing in Cameron when we play the cheats again, and hopefully sooner.

cbarry
02-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Hoping you’re right! We really need Bags back in the lineup ASAP.

I think that rumor sounds just silly.

The Duke Coaches have said nothing to indicate Marvin is done for the season. It's been called a minor knee sprain and I believe the Duke beat writer was told something to the effect of not a big deal at all.

Grayson has said they're looking forward to bringing him back hopefully soon, but not sure when. K said something like incorporating him back in will be easy because he is unselfish. I think K said they were just being extra cautious with him.

When somebody is really hurt and Duke wants to be vague they say he is Out indefinitely with a grim expression like K said with Amile Jefferson.

I would gladly bet a pie with anybody that Marvin will play again this season for Duke. I have no idea if he will play at Clemson. I doubt it. No clue or insider knowledge, but Marvin will be back at some point. I'm pretty sure he'll be playing in Cameron when we play the cheats again, and hopefully sooner.

Bob Green
02-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Keep in mind the team we are seeing right now is the one we were so excited about in July.

Exactly! As well as Wendell Carter is playing, the staff can afford to take their time returning Bagley to action to ensure he is 100 percent ready to go.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-17-2018, 10:37 AM

That sounds exactly like something you would read online.

That's why I never go on The Net.

Pghdukie
02-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Kind of reminds me when K suspended Grayson "indefinitely"

HereBeforeCoachK
02-17-2018, 10:48 AM

This ^^^^ - is a great point. And I'd add, it was the team we were so excited about for the final 30 minutes of the Michigan State game as well.

Not saying I don't want Marvin back....OF COURSE I DO. But your reminder is a great perspective.

dukelifer
02-17-2018, 11:33 AM

This team is also playing very well without Bagley. Bolden and Delaurier are playing better- other guys are contributing off the bench and of course Allen is getting his mojo back. I suspect Bagley will be back but no reason to rush it. This team will win if Allen and Duval are scoring and moving the ball. The three other bigs are all capable of contributing. When both Bolden and DeLaurier were injured- this was a much more vulnerable team.

JasonEvans
02-17-2018, 01:54 PM
I'm hearing some scuttlebutt that Marvin may suit up for Clemson but even if he misses that game, he will almost certainly be back for the Louisville game on Wednesday.

-Jason "everyone seems to be saying that this is not a long term injury" Evans

dukelifer
02-17-2018, 01:58 PM
I'm hearing some scuttlebutt that Marvin may suit up for Clemson but even if he misses that game, he will almost certainly be back for the Louisville game on Wednesday.

-Jason "everyone seems to be saying that this is not a long term injury" Evans

Does scuttlebutt supersede internet rumor?

devildeac
02-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Does scuttlebutt supersede internet rumor?

Scuttlebutt is much more reliable than innuendo and heresay, especially when those questionably reliable sources are holding it close to their vests.

JasonEvans
02-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Maybe my source was wrong. Jeff Borzello of ESPN says Bagley will miss the game against Clemson/

sagegrouse
02-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Exactly! As well as Wendell Carter is playing, the staff can afford to take their time returning Bagley to action to ensure the duke fans are 100% insane by the time it happens.

FIFY. I know, I know.

subzero02
02-17-2018, 04:50 PM

It's over...

jimsumner
02-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Bagley has been officially ruled out for tomorrow's game against Clemson.

mgtr
02-17-2018, 05:01 PM
Was he told to bag it?

subzero02
02-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Gthc!!! Gthc!!! Gthc!!!

DavidBenAkiva
02-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Bagley has been officially ruled out for tomorrow's game against Clemson.

Short-handed Duke against shorter-handed Clemson. Bagley III is going to be missed but the loss of Shelton Mitchell seems far more serious for Clemson. It's a real shame this couldn't have been a matchup against healthy teams.

Troublemaker
02-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Hoping you’re right! We really need Bags back in the lineup ASAP.

Frankly, I feel better about beating Clemson without him.

Let's use a home game to assimilate Marvin into this new Duke team (zone + Grayson as a 20ppg threat again).

Anyway, I'm sure he'll be healthy soon, and we're just being extra cautious with him right now.

duketaylor
02-17-2018, 09:57 PM
I'm not happy with Loserville right now, poor effort tonight. Not what I wanted/we needed. They blow. We needed more.

ipatent
02-17-2018, 10:01 PM
I'm not happy with Loserville right now, poor effort tonight. Not what I wanted/we needed. They blow. We needed more.

They're terrible tonight and not getting the bounces either.

duketaylor
02-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Crowd at Loserville might as well go home, they don't exist; one quiet place. Can hear sneakers on the floor, no vibe, they suck!!

PackMan97
02-17-2018, 10:16 PM
It's looking like Saturday all the road teams will win...I'm going out on a limb and predicting that only one road team wins tommorrow.

Bob Green
02-18-2018, 06:27 AM
Perhaps I am guilty of overconfidence; however, I'm feeling pretty good about today's game. Clemson has hung tough since losing Donte Grantham but losing Shelton Mitchell (starting PG) on top of Grantham will be too much for the Tigers. While a counterargument can be made that Duke will also be short-handed due to Marvin Bagley being out, Clemson is going to miss Mitchell a lot more than Duke will miss Bagley. I'll stop short of stating Duke wins easily, but Duke will win.

-jk
02-18-2018, 12:30 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

gofurman
02-18-2018, 12:44 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

No jinx. Clemson hasn’t lost at home..

riverside6
02-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Live tempo based stats for Duke/Clemson

https://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-clemson-basketball-live-stats-02182018

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Jack White dunk!

Great start for both teams. Gonna be a fun one.

rsvman
02-18-2018, 01:24 PM
Can't believe they called a defensive foul on Bolden on that play. C'mon!

wavedukefan70s
02-18-2018, 01:28 PM
When we played Virginia I said it reminded me of Clemson. example 1A.

ChrisP
02-18-2018, 01:29 PM
Putrid, weak offense and refs allowing a LOT of contact (after initially calling it close) keeping Clemson in it thus far

rsvman
02-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Putrid, weak offense and refs allowing a LOT of contact (after initially calling it close) keeping Clemson in it thus far

Not to mention at least two missed chippies by us.

It's all good, though.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Can't believe they called a defensive foul on Bolden on that play. C'mon!

That was total crap. And Wendell's been hacked a few times too.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Bolden is starting to play more consistently. The breakout game is visible on the horizon...

TruBlu
02-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Lots of wide open shots so far against our zone.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 01:34 PM
What a terrible foul by Javin....just awful

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2018, 01:37 PM
WHAT THE HEL is Gminski talking about, that Grayson did indeed commit intentional?????

ChrisP
02-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Why are we putting up such weak, wimpy-looking shots? Short-arming a LOT of shots today. SMH

subzero02
02-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Important stretch coming up. I say get the ball to Carter and give Trent a rest. He's pressing just a bit

wavedukefan70s
02-18-2018, 01:40 PM
#25 with a cheap bump on Allen no call.

Selover
02-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Give me more grayson. Love it!!

wavedukefan70s
02-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Grayson is fired up.

ChrisP
02-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Don't make Grayson angry. You won't like him when he's angry.

arnie
02-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Grayson saving us against the officials and very poor play from Carter and Javin.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Grayson saving us against the officials and very poor play from Carter and Javin.

Carter looks lost....no angles on his shots, no hands on the rebounds...

wavedukefan70s
02-18-2018, 01:44 PM
I really don't like playing at Clemson.
that's all I am saying.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Let's close the half with the lead!!!...

Carter needs to score, we don't want to wear out Allen with the weight of the scoring and ball distribution responsibilities.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 01:50 PM
How do you drain 2 foul shots and then airball a deep elbow jumper

kmspeaks
02-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Why are we putting up such weak, wimpy-looking shots? Short-arming a LOT of shots today. SMH

Refs allowing a lot of contact in the paint both ways makes for ugly ugly basketball. Sooner or later someone is going to decide if you're not going to call anything then I'm going to go up strong through a defender. That person will probably be called for an offensive foul because...college refs. If it happens to a Clemson player Brownell and the Clemson fans might spontaneously combust since they've lost their minds crying about every foul called on a Clemson player so far.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Have we ever had broader shoulders than Clemson in hoops? Maybe with Sheldon Williams, or Elton Brand? No often. Seems to me we get pushed around a lot by them in Littlejohn under the hoop, and they get the benefit of the doubt at home.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 01:58 PM
Have we ever had broader shoulders than Clemson in hoops? Maybe with Sheldon Williams, or Elton Brand? No often. Seems to me we get pushed around a lot by them in Littlejohn under the hoop, and they get the benefit of the doubt at home.

Shelden Williams

TruBlu
02-18-2018, 02:00 PM
There are some basketball games that are things of beauty. This ain’t one of them.

ncexnyc
02-18-2018, 02:01 PM
Strange half. Glad Allen has showed up again, but when Trevon is our second best scorer that doesn't bode well for us. Surprised we aren't killing them on the boards.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 02:07 PM
I'm convinced Duval was fouled on that drive towards the end of the half... it sent him to the floor and he still got the shot to the rim so I doubt the defender got all or any ball for that matter.

jipops
02-18-2018, 02:13 PM
We're a mess in the halfcourt offense right now.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Let's run that again... a solid 3 point shooter gives up an open look for a fade away 3 as time runs out from a bad 3 point shooter

wavedukefan70s
02-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Strange half. Glad Allen has showed up again, but when Trevon is our second best scorer that doesn't bode well for us. Surprised we aren't killing them on the boards.

Hard to rebound when getting shoved out of position.

dukelifer
02-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Hard to rebound when getting shoved out of position.

Two huge mistakes by Duval on that possession

wavedukefan70s
02-18-2018, 02:22 PM
He was holding the rim smh.

ChrisP
02-18-2018, 02:23 PM
FLOP!

karmacoma
02-18-2018, 02:23 PM
We're not cleaning up the defensive glass very well today

wavedukefan70s
02-18-2018, 02:29 PM
They stopped play to dry the ball?was that at dukes request?

dukelifer
02-18-2018, 02:30 PM
They stopped play to dry the ball?was that at dukes request?

Yes- looks like Allen was asking for it

HereBeforeCoachK
We're not cleaning up the defensive glass very well today

Getting our hands on almost everything......controlling almost nothing. We're being outmanned in the inside on both ends.

ipatent
A hard-fought game so far. Can't fault either team for effort.

WHOneedsSOX
02-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Allen needs to start scoring this half if Duke is going to win this game.

Eternal Outlaw
02-18-2018, 02:32 PM
FLOP!

What do you mean? Guy flexed his muscles after the play so clearly he's very strong and only a truck running him over could have gotten him to the floor.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 02:37 PM
That might have been Bolden's best offensive post play since enrolling at Duke. Great position, quick spin, absorbed the contact and got off an accurate shot through the foul... then made the free throw.... he is improving. Duval is playing better but some of his shots are awful and he dribbles into bad situations far too often.

DangerDevil
02-18-2018, 02:40 PM
What do you mean? Guy flexed his muscles after the play so clearly he's very strong and only a truck running him over could have gotten him to the floor.

Another flop but Gary can't extend his arm.

WHOneedsSOX
02-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Another flop but Gary can't extend his arm.

Gary needs to stop hitting the weight room. Way too strong. One arm half extended did damage.

rsvman
02-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Duval is really in Reid's head.

WHOneedsSOX
02-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Damn 4 empty possessions in a row let Clemson hang around.

wavedukefan70s
02-18-2018, 02:51 PM
How was that a foul Carter didn't move?

karmacoma
So many chances to put them away. So much futility. Ugh.

Eternal Outlaw
How was that a block?

All the down low bruising and they call that?

rsvman
Man, we have missed a lot of chippies!

Clemson didn't make a field goal for over five minutes and we couldn't extend the lead. Frustrating.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-18-2018, 02:52 PM
So many chances to put them away. So much futility. Ugh.

I swear it's like Carter has totally forgotten angles, which way to turn, his feel for where the D is, the backboard.

subzero02
From the angle I saw, that was a charge, nice position by carter and he was outside the circle... and I definitely want Bagley back. Some of these missed putbacks would have been and one dunks with him on the floor.

wavedukefan70s
How was that a block?

I know right?

rsvman
How was that a block?

Darn good question.

WHOneedsSOX
02-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Make free throws!

subzero02
02-18-2018, 02:57 PM
This got ugly so fast...

WHOneedsSOX
02-18-2018, 02:57 PM
So many mistakes. Game should've been put away 4 minutes ago.

karmacoma
02-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Just a frustrating group to watch.

rsvman
That wasn't knocked out of Carter's hands?

HereBeforeCoachK
So many mistakes. Game should've been put away 4 minutes ago.

Grayson really weak with the ball.....I'm out....they usually do better when I leave

fgb
02-18-2018, 02:59 PM
we just look feeble

DangerDevil
02-18-2018, 02:59 PM

If it wasn't I don't know how that was physically possible???

WHOneedsSOX
02-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Looked like Carter hit it last though after it was knocked out of his hands.

WHOneedsSOX
02-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Carter was huge in the 2nd half.

subzero02
02-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Carter!!###!!!! $$$!!!

arnie
02-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Hit throws and it’s over. I’d pull Duval on O.

Eternal Outlaw
02-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Stepped up and balled after it got tied. Good win boys