PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Virginia Tech (2/14 7:00pm ET, ESPN2) Pre-game and In-game Thread

CDu
02-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Valentine's Day present to Duke fans. Home game. Discuss.

CDu
02-12-2018, 11:18 AM
Big game to begin what is a really tough stretch to finish the regular season. No more "easy" games left. Everyone is a top-50 team until the tournaments (and depending upon how things play out in the next few weeks, possibly even true in the tournaments). Time to discuss Virginia Tech.

The Hokies are a team on the rise since they hired Buzz Williams. Williams made his name at Marquette, where he constantly seemed to have tough, overachieving teams that were no fun to play. This team is still working to develop Williams' identity, but they are getting there.
They like to play an interchangeable parts approach (semi-positionless), just like he used to do at Marquette. They are a small team, but very scrappy, and more than willing to throw junk defenses at bigger teams to try to throw them off. They used a 1-3-1 to flummox Yurtseven and the Pack recently.

The Hokies do one thing really well this year, and that is score. They are one of the most efficient and prolific offenses in the country (top-20 in KenPom, top-25 in T-Rank. They shoot the ball EXTREMELY well, with a top-5 eFG%. They are good both on 3s (top-20) and especially 2s (top-5). It's a really impressive offensive team. They don't turn it over much, and they don't crash the glass on offense. But they score and score and score. The defense is not as impressive. They don't force turnovers, don't rebound at a high rate, and don't hold opponents to poor shooting. The best thing they do defensively is avoid fouls, although even that has slipped for them a little bit in ACC play. Given the pace that both teams like to play, this game should be a high-scoring one. Somewhere around 170 pts would be my guess for the over/under.

Centers: Kerry Blackshear Jr (6'10", 260lb junior) is the man in the middle. Blackshear is a big body who rebounds well and can block the occasional shot. But his best attribute is that he can shoot from the perimeter, including a 39% 3pt shot. Like many big men, Blackshear can get in foul trouble. When that happens, the Hokies go extremely small. Blackshear is the only guy who is taller than 6'6" in their rotation. Their other big man (Khadim Sy) withdrew from school in the Fall.

Forwards: Chris Clarke (6'6", 210lb junior) is arguably the Hokies' best player in my opinion, although he comes off the bench. He's kind of a Justise Winslow-like, do-it-all forward. Clarke can defend any position on the court, is a tenacious rebounder on both ends, and can handle the ball and distribute. He even has developed a sneaky 3pt shot (not great, but 35%). He is an All-ACC caliber player who doesn't always show up in the scoring column but seems to always affect the game. PJ Horne (6'5", 215lb freshman) backs up Clarke. Horne is a solid rebounder and but not as good (in most cases not nearly as good) at anything else. Those are really the only guys I'd classify as forwards, and in Horne's case even that is stretching it.

Wings: Nickeil Alexander-Walker (6'5", 210lb freshman from Canada) is arguably their best player on the wings. He is a smooth player with solid ball skills and great shooting ability. Not a super athlete, but very capable scorer using his length and shooting touch. In some ways he is like a poor-man's Trent, although not as physical. He is a dangerous scorer though. If Alexander-Walker isn't the best, then it would have to be Justin Bibbs (6'5", 220lb senior). Bibbs is another guy who is sort of a poor-man's Gary Trent. He can really shoot it, and is a bit more physical than Alexander-Walker, though a bit less impressive off the dribble. These two guys make for one of the best 3pt shooting wing duos in the ACC. Behind them is Ahmed Hill (6'5", 205lb junior). Hill is basically a clone of the other two: fantastic 3pt shooter, tough kid. The three will also share the court a fair amount, and that's a very dangerous set of wing shooters.

Guards: The Hokies have started a pair of PGs recently. The primary starter is Justin Robinson (6'2", 190lb junior) who has emerged as one of the better PGs in the ACC. Robinson is second in the ACC in assists behind Markell Johnson at 5.7 per game. He is also (stop me if you've heard this before) a terrific 3pt shooter at 40%. Robinson is also fearless attacking the rim. He will be a real headache for us. Robinson's running mate is Devin Wilson (6'4", 195lb redshirt senior). Wilson has seen his role steadily decline over the years as Va Tech has gotten better. But he is a do-whatever-the-team-needs type of guy. He's a very pesky defender (he was the back "1" in that 1-3-1 vs State) and sneaky rebounder. The one thing he doesn't do well is shoot: a 16.7% 3pt shooter and sub-60% from the line. But he's a very able ballhandler, driver, and passer. He's played very well in their two recent wins. Wabissa Bede (6'1", 195lb freshman) is the third PG. Bede is kind of a Tyler Thornton like guy: not terribly athletic, but very tough, very smart, and very hard-working. Bede is also a pretty good perimeter shooter. But he plays sparingly.

Va Tech is going to be a very interesting test in that they are fairly different than most of the teams we have played. I guess they are closer in style to UNC in that they play mostly small and everyone can shoot. So in that sense, it will be a very good test for our defense. They have done a good job this season of hiding their lack of size. So it will be interesting to see how/if we are able to exploit that against them. And of course, their 3pt shooting quality and depth is a challenge for us. Hopefully we are up to the challenge!

Wander
02-12-2018, 11:22 AM
The NBA guys are announcing this game I think - I always like when we get one of those.

MrPoon
02-12-2018, 11:32 AM
The wise guys out west say Duke wins by 1.
Don’t know if Bagley’s injury plays into that.
But giving 1 at home tells me Duke needs to be very ready for this one and may need to play more than the 25 to 30 min game we seem to play. Is zone the move against a team with five shooters? Can we play man any better? Call me cautiously optimistic.

BeachBlueDevil
02-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Both the games with Va Tech Duke has coming up are going to be interesting to watch. They are a good team and Buzz gets the most out of them especially in big games as of late, just ask UNC and UVA. Duke needs to be on their toes with them and play solid 40 minutes. If they don't, they'll be in big trouble and this is a good test for Duke. The Hokies are team they type of team Duke could possibly see in the Rd of 32 or the Sweet 16.

Troublemaker
02-12-2018, 11:47 AM
The wise guys out west say Duke wins by 1.
Don’t know if Bagley’s injury plays into that.
But giving 1 at home tells me Duke needs to be very ready for this one and may need to play more than the 25 to 30 min game we seem to play. Is zone the move against a team with five shooters? Can we play man any better? Call me cautiously optimistic.

That won't be the spread. You're looking at lines too early and therefore you've gotten bad info. Lines will come out this evening, and Duke will be favored by 11ish, I'm guessing.

CDu
02-12-2018, 11:55 AM
That won't be the spread. You're looking at lines too early and therefore you've gotten bad info. Lines will come out this evening, and Duke will be favored by 11ish, I'm guessing.

Yeah, for reference, T-Rank has us as a 16-point favorite. I'd imagine KenPom has something similar. Obviously Vegas will have a lower spread than that (in part because of our play of late and in part because Bagley's status is unclear).

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Virginia Tech probably entered UVa Saturday thinking they could win. And they did. So you can absolutely take it to the bank that they'll enter Cameron thinking they WILL win. They always play well against Duke anyway, even when they aren't very good.

They are of course much older than Duke, more consistently tough than Duke (toughness comes with age) - so Duke is gonna have to continue to grow older in order to win this game.

They are a very good offensive team, and they played UVa quality defense on Saturday. Scary game, good chance for Duke to continue building towards where they want to be when the NCAAs roll around.

Troublemaker
02-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Oops, I mean lines will come out tomorrow (Tuesday) evening for a Wednesday game.

thedukelamere
02-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Quick side note for anyone interested; EJ Montgomery will be in the house. He'll be in Chapel Hell this evening for the Catholics vs the Cheats, so sounds like he and his family will be hanging out in the Triangle over the next few days.

weezie
02-12-2018, 04:22 PM
I'd like to see the buttons on Buzz's vest burst open from exertion in a big fat loss for the orange and maroon hokie team. I am also not a fan of Buzz's decision to grow his hair out. He'll be wearing a beret next.

As always, jeeeebus, orange and maroon.

brevity
02-12-2018, 04:30 PM
I'd like to see the buttons on Buzz's vest burst open from exertion in a big fat loss for the orange and maroon hokie team. I am also not a fan of Buzz's decision to grow his hair out. He'll be wearing a beret next.

Buzz Williams just needs the orange Crocs to go full Mario Batali*.

* Just in terms of looks. If we're talking behavior, Josh Pastner has allegedly gone full Mario Batali.

Bay Area Duke Fan
02-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Will Marvin play Wednesday night?

Billy Dat
02-12-2018, 05:20 PM
We owe these guys some payback for last year's beat-down and need to keep showing improvement. This is a tough little close of the season, not the time to drop a home conference game. Hopefully Marv is playing.

kshepinthehouse
02-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Yeah, for reference, T-Rank has us as a 16-point favorite. I'd imagine KenPom has something similar. Obviously Vegas will have a lower spread than that (in part because of our play of late and in part because Bagley's status is unclear).

KenPom gives us an 85% chance of winning the game an expects the score to be 92-80.

Double digit spread seems a little high to me.

TruBlu
02-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Buzz Williams just needs the orange Crocs to go full Mario Batali*.

* Just in terms of looks. If we're talking behavior, Josh Pastner has allegedly gone full Mario Batali.

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that Josh Pastner did the Oscar Meyer commercial as a kid?!? “My bologna has a first name . . . “

Troublemaker
02-12-2018, 06:19 PM
It's a great test for us. I mean, I'm really looking forward to this game. VaTech has shooters galore, lots of quickness, a playmaking 4 in Clarke that should be tough for Bagley to guard, and they love to run PNR.

I mean, can we do anything against this team defensively? Or do we have to score a 100 to win?

godins
02-12-2018, 06:32 PM
It's a great test for us. I mean, I'm really looking forward to this game. VaTech has shooters galore, lots of quickness, a playmaking 4 in Clarke that should be tough for Bagley to guard, and they love to run PNR.

I mean, can we do anything against this team defensively? Or do we have to score a 100 to win?

Last year we played VT to open the ACC slate up in Blacksburg -- they beat the pants off us, 89-75, in a game we trailed from wire to wire. That was the post-tripping "indefinite suspension" game, so maybe Grayson will be the X-factor for us...Marques and Jack White both played 3 minutes each.

Virginia Tech lost Seth Allen (14 pts, 5 ast) and Zach LeDay (11 pts, 7 reb) from that team, but return Chris Clarke (13 pts, 6 reb), Justin Robinson (14 pts, 7 ast, 5 reb), Justin Bibbs (18 pts), and Ahmed Hill (17 pts). So plenty of firepower. I´m really hopeful for this game -- they do always seem to play us well, though we are 2-1 against Buzz. I´d love to see us win by 20 in Cameron.

907bluedevils
02-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Virginia Tech has the team that can put up a lot of points against Duke if the D isn't there. I hope i'm wrong, but this game could be a close one. Hopefully Duke is starting to make strides in the right direction, watching the past few games (including the end of the GT game) isn't having me feeling too confident.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-12-2018, 09:06 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that Josh Pastner did the Oscar Meyer commercial as a kid?!? “My bologna has a first name . . . “

Oh, that's him no doubt.....I haven't felt a discovery like that since I figured out that Bernie Sanders was the Aardvark in "The Ant and the Aardvark" cartoons (part of Pink Panther).

Troublemaker
02-13-2018, 04:44 AM
Virginia Tech has the team that can put up a lot of points against Duke if the D isn't there. I hope i'm wrong, but this game could be a close one. Hopefully Duke is starting to make strides in the right direction, watching the past few games (including the end of the GT game) isn't having me feeling too confident.

That's probably an understatement. The range of possibilities that wouldn't surprise me include Duke winning by 10+ BUT it also includes VaTech winning by 10+. It's like I said -- are we going to be able to do anything defensively against this team at all? Or are they going to score wide open threes and layups on us all night, particularly in transition? Yes, I know they'll have trouble stopping us, too. The game will be played at a high pace (projected 73 possessions by kenpom); if VaTech scores 1.3 ppp to our 1.15 ppp, for example, that's 95-84 Hokies.

Let's see if Coach K can put a scheme out there that will stop them from hanging 85 to 100 on us. It might be zone. It won't be the soft (i.e. no ball pressure or directional control) M2M played against SJU and UNC.

gofurman
02-13-2018, 08:30 AM

right . If you watched these guys out hustle UNC .. UNC who beat us to a lot of defensive rebounds.. you see the reason for concern. This is a team built to beat us. Very quick and hustle to long rebounds. We need to win at Cameron so we could aford a loss in Virginia

OldPhiKap
02-13-2018, 09:38 AM
That's probably an understatement. The range of possibilities that wouldn't surprise me include Duke winning by 10+ BUT it also includes VaTech winning by 10+. It's like I said -- are we going to be able to do anything defensively against this team at all? Or are they going to score wide open threes and layups on us all night, particularly in transition? Yes, I know they'll have trouble stopping us, too. The game will be played at a high pace (projected 73 possessions by kenpom); if VaTech scores 1.3 ppp to our 1.15 ppp, for example, that's 95-84 Hokies.

Let's see if Coach K can put a scheme out there that will stop them from hanging 85 to 100 on us. It might be zone. It won't be the soft (i.e. no ball pressure or directional control) M2M played against SJU and UNC.

right . If you watched these guys out hustle UNC .. UNC who beat us to a lot of defensive rebounds.. you see the reason for concern. This is a team built to beat us. Very quick and hustle to long rebounds. We need to win at Cameron so we could aford a loss in Virginia

Agree with both of these (and 907's post they both quote).

It will be a dark day when someone outhustles Duke in Cameron. If that happens, my concern-o-meter may pop up a bit. Not as worried about the W or L -- I want to see all-out effort, results be damned.

FerryFor50
02-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Personally, I think Robinson will light us up, if this season holds to form. Robinson reminds me a lot of Shamorie Ponds.

Hopefully the rest of VT doesn't show up, or Duke manages to find a consistent offensive effort all night. Otherwise, might be a disappointing Valentine's Day.

lotusland
02-13-2018, 09:56 AM
7:00 PM on Valentine’s Day??? Enjoy the game. We’re having another couple over for a valentines dinner. I know better than to even mention that there is a basketball game on. If we win I’ll watch the replay. On the 15th!

Troublemaker
02-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Ash Wednesday also.

It's a weird day for Dukie Catholics with a significant other.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2018, 10:20 AM
Ash Wednesday also.

Nothing says "I love you" better than a nice, cooked salmon. Small potions, of course.

thedukelamere
02-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Personally, I think Robinson will light us up, if this season holds to form. Robinson reminds me a lot of Shamorie Ponds.

There's only one way to neutralize one Justin Robinson... Send in the other.

Kedsy
02-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Nothing says "I love you" better than a nice, cooked salmon. Small potions, of course.

Love potions? Or witch's brew? Or would those only be for non-Catholics?

mgtr
02-13-2018, 10:28 AM

I would prefer a sliced and diced hokie, well-smoked.

devildeac
02-13-2018, 11:00 AM

I'd much prefer roasting/poaching/grilling/brining/frying/smoking one of these:

Don't really care what temperature either, just as long as it's well done and little remains after 40 minutes of basketball.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2018, 11:16 AM
Love potions? Or witch's brew? Or would those only be for non-Catholics?

A potion that helps our defense would be nice. But not your significant other's defense. As long as it is consensual, of course.

I would prefer a sliced and diced hokie, well-smoked.

I'd much prefer roasting/poaching/grilling/brining/frying/smoking one of these:

Don't really care what temperature either, just as long as it's well done and little remains after 40 minutes of basketball.

Ah, no meat for me. But I can make stock from the carcass for Thursday I suppose.

TruBlu
02-13-2018, 11:48 AM
7:00 PM on Valentine’s Day??? Enjoy the game. We’re having another couple over for a valentines dinner. I know better than to even mention that there is a basketball game on. If we win I’ll watch the replay. On the 15th!

This is the reason the Wife and I are celebrating Valentines Day tonight!!! Of course she doesn’t know this yet. She thinks it’s to avoid the rush at a swanky restaurant. (Tomorrow at 7:00 she will probably figure out my real motivation, and I’ll end up watching the game on my phone in the doghouse.)

LngdnAlger
02-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Hopefully the rest of VT doesn't show up, or Duke manages to find a consistent offensive effort all night. Otherwise, might be a disappointing Valentine's Day.

This game worries me a lot. As has already been said, VT is built to beat this Duke team. High scoring, great shooting, high energy and hustle. I can't see M2M or 2-3/1-3-1 zone slowing them down (or, to be clear, Duke's M2M or zone). If/when it turns into a race to 100 points, I worry that Duke will just chuck a lot of 3's a la the last 12 minutes of the UNC game.

I'd like to see more run for O'Connell. His slimness probably will be less of a detriment in this game as opposed to playing someone like UVA, and his shooting, slashing, and length on defense are good fits. In contrast, I see this game being a problem for Duval - defensive liability, shooting liability.

RE: hustle. I'll try not to let this turn into a rant, and this is likely a topic for its own thread, but hustle and "want to" are huge concerns of mine for this team. I turned on the St. John's game early in the second half and immediately told my wife we would lose that game. I could see it in the faces of the players. It was almost a resignation like, "oh well, today's not our day." When they slapped the floor later in the game, I just didn't believe them. They later proved me right. I just don't see any fire in these guys. Grayson obviously has fire but is consciously tempering it. There's no Quinn Cook to rally everyone. I'll stop there, but to bring it back on-topic, the Va Tech game is very winnable with fire and hustle, and extremely loseable [sic] without it...

FerryFor50
02-13-2018, 12:06 PM
This game worries me a lot. As has already been said, VT is built to beat this Duke team. High scoring, great shooting, high energy and hustle. I can't see M2M or 2-3/1-3-1 zone slowing them down (or, to be clear, Duke's M2M or zone). If/when it turns into a race to 100 points, I worry that Duke will just chuck a lot of 3's a la the last 12 minutes of the UNC game.

I'd like to see more run for O'Connell. His slimness probably will be less of a detriment in this game as opposed to playing someone like UVA, and his shooting, slashing, and length on defense are good fits. In contrast, I see this game being a problem for Duval - defensive liability, shooting liability.

RE: hustle. I'll try not to let this turn into a rant, and this is likely a topic for its own thread, but hustle and "want to" are huge concerns of mine for this team. I turned on the St. John's game early in the second half and immediately told my wife we would lose that game. I could see it in the faces of the players. It was almost a resignation like, "oh well, today's not our day." When they slapped the floor later in the game, I just didn't believe them. They later proved me right. I just don't see any fire in these guys. Grayson obviously has fire but is consciously tempering it. There's no Quinn Cook to rally everyone. I'll stop there, but to bring it back on-topic, the Va Tech game is very winnable with fire and hustle, and extremely loseable [sic] without it...

I disagree re: hustle, particularly in the St. John's game. Duke made a good run to get back into it, but just fell short.

I think they just haven't figured out that they can't just turn it on whenever they want and win. The early season comeback wins against Texas and Florida were actually detriments, I think. They gave a false sense of security.

lotusland
02-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Ash Wednesday also.

Protestants do Ash Wednesday too but I don’t go to that service. Looks like a B grade horror movie.

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Why? What happens after the guests leave on the 14th? Is there an expectation for something?

CDu
02-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Why? What happens after the guests leave on the 14th? Is there an expectation for something?

Further discussion of this topic should probably move to the off topic board. Perhaps the fitness thread?

Chard
02-13-2018, 01:52 PM
Ash Wednesday also.

Check, check and oh, yeah, it is my birthday.

I'm watching it!

Kedsy
02-13-2018, 02:41 PM

So, Alex's "slashing" is a plus for him, compared to Trevon's slashing ability? And Alex's "length" is a good fit but Trevon's 6'9.5" wingspan and 8'3" standing reach are not? And Trevon is a "defensive liability" but Alex is... what?

RE: hustle. I'll try not to let this turn into a rant, and this is likely a topic for its own thread, but hustle and "want to" are huge concerns of mine for this team. I turned on the St. John's game early in the second half and immediately told my wife we would lose that game. I could see it in the faces of the players. It was almost a resignation like, "oh well, today's not our day." When they slapped the floor later in the game, I just didn't believe them. They later proved me right.

I was at the game. Duke fell behind (not, in my opinion, for lack of "wanting" it), then went on a 16-4 run to (briefly) take the lead. With 38 seconds left in the game, with the shot clock down to its last second, Shamorie Ponds (a 25% three-point shooter for the season) put up an awkward, body-twisted, seemingly desperate three-pointer that went in, essentially winning the game for St. John's.

My question to you is, if that unlikely shot had missed and Duke had scored to win the game, would that have proven you wrong?

Truth&Justise
02-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Yup. I missed the UNC game for a pre-marital counseling session and have plans for tomorrow night. At least now we definitely know the answer to "are you willing to make sacrifices for your marriage?" :p

And lest you fret, my fiance is also a Duke grad and generally enjoys watching games with me. But life is about compromise, and I'm happy to.

Go Duke!

HereBeforeCoachK
02-13-2018, 03:25 PM

Troublemaker, I'm sure you don't care that I agree with you here, being that I only joined the board two days ago, after merely 55 years of being a Duke fan...(started actively at age 3) ....but by God I do agree with you anyway, and you're just going to have to accept it. I"ll especially agree with the zone comment, and one that involves some trapping pressure too.

flyingdutchdevil
02-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Yup. I missed the UNC game for a pre-marital counseling session and have plans for tomorrow night. At least now we definitely know the answer to "are you willing to make sacrifices for your marriage?" :p

And lest you fret, my fiance is also a Duke grad and generally enjoys watching games with me. But life is about compromise, and I'm happy to.

Go Duke!

"Yes, except for Duke basketball. And one month every 4 years for the World Cup."

Bob Green
02-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Offensive strategy needs to include going right at Kerry Blackshear because he is foul prone. In recent games, Blackshear had five fouls against Notre Dame, four fouls against both Boston College and N.C. State, and three fouls against Virginia. With Blackshear on the bench, VT is very small. We need to get Blackshear in foul trouble to limit his time on the court.

pfrduke
02-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Offensive strategy needs to include going right at Kerry Blackshear because he is foul prone. In recent games, Blackshear had five fouls against Notre Dame, four fouls against both Boston College and N.C. State, and three fouls against Virginia. With Blackshear on the bench, VT is very small. We need to get Blackshear in foul trouble to limit his time on the court.

When that happens, it's going to be a total contrast in styles. Tech will go 5-out with a bunch of 6'1"-6'6" guys cutting and jacking threes while we have Bagley and Carter (and Bolden) to beat them up down low. It may call for a 3-2 zone (or a 2-3 matchup) - something to prevent Carter from having to chase Chris Clarke all over the floor.

Bob Green
02-13-2018, 04:52 PM
When that happens, it's going to be a total contrast in styles. Tech will go 5-out with a bunch of 6'1"-6'6" guys cutting and jacking threes while we have Bagley and Carter (and Bolden) to beat them up down low. It may call for a 3-2 zone (or a 2-3 matchup) - something to prevent Carter from having to chase Chris Clarke all over the floor.

Exactly. Go zone on defense and pound the ball inside on offense. Of course, to capitalize on the size advantage we will have to hustle and run down long rebounds and 50-50 balls. Nothing about this game is going to be easy.

JasonEvans
02-13-2018, 06:10 PM
Starting to sound like Bagley may not play. Wendel Carter was doing a reporter Q&A today and said Bagley had not practiced at all this week.

cato
02-13-2018, 06:43 PM

Go Duke!

Young grasshopper. The compromises have not started yet. Some would say: do not concede too much too early, or you will find yourself with no game-watching-time left to concede.

pfrduke
02-13-2018, 06:48 PM

Go Duke!

Interesting approach. I, on the other hand, spent last week watching the Duke-UNC game on my wife's birthday (and she is not an alum). I did make sure she got sushi afterwards.

wavedukefan70s
02-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Oh boy .I thought today was the 14th .I gave my wife her Valentine's day gifts.sat down. started looking for the game on t.v.
The wife just says with all this today .i cant wait to see what you do for me on valentines day tomorrow. laughs .
At least we can't play poorly today. I believe I will just go to bed.

53n206
02-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Funny how things change. We hope we beat VPI; we wonder how badly UVa beats Miami. Yes I have become pessimistic-Pavlovian conditioning after watching our defense. Will the defense improve?

Furniture
02-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Mitchell Gladstone
@mpgladstone13
When asked if Marvin Bagley III has practiced since missing Sunday's game:Wendell Carter Jr.: "No. No, he hasn't."Team spokesman: "He's been at practice every day."

Fish80
02-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Mitchell Gladstone
@mpgladstone13
When asked if Marvin Bagley III has practiced since missing Sunday's game:Wendell Carter Jr.: "No. No, he hasn't."Team spokesman: "He's been at practice every day."

Those statements could both be true.

uh_no
02-13-2018, 09:14 PM
Mitchell Gladstone
@mpgladstone13

just want to note that those statements aren't incompatible.

Furniture
02-13-2018, 10:02 PM

I think so too...

Acymetric
02-13-2018, 10:38 PM

Both are probably "true" statements, but one is a little more...honest than the other. ;)

Furniture
02-13-2018, 11:01 PM
Both are probably "true" statements, but one is a little more...honest than the other. ;)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

subzero02
02-14-2018, 05:53 AM
According to Vegas insider, we are 10.5/10 point favorites at most books and Bagley is questionable. I want Alex to start again.

mgtr
02-14-2018, 07:46 AM
Will Alex become the 2018 version of 2015 Grayson?

lotusland
02-14-2018, 08:35 AM
According to Vegas insider, we are 10.5/10 point favorites at most books and Bagley is questionable. I want Alex to start again.

I don’t gamble but VT +10.5 seems like good bet. Hope I’m wrong but this feels like a loss to me. Home court should help but they can shoot and Duke doesn’t guard the 3 pt line or the pick and roll well.

Hopefully this is a reverse jinx.

camion
02-14-2018, 08:45 AM
I don’t gamble but VT +10.5 seems like good bet. Hope I’m wrong but this feels like a loss to me. Home court should help but they can shoot and Duke doesn’t guard the 3 pt line or the pick and roll well.

Noooooooo!!!

You may have just re-reversed it. :(

OldPhiKap
02-14-2018, 09:22 AM
Further discussion of this topic should probably move to the off topic board. Perhaps the fitness thread?

That thread is for physical health, not spiritual.

Troublemaker
02-14-2018, 09:39 AM

Noooooooo!!!

You may have just re-reversed it. :(

Camion is absolutely right. Lotusland - by pointing out your own reverse jinx attempt, you have immediately voided it.

The life of a reverse-jinxer is hard. You're supposed to get your predictions thrown back into your face when Duke wins or covers the spread easily or whatever. By removing those consequences for yourself, you nullified the jinx attempt. I don't think you're cut out to be a reverse-jinxer. Not tough enough.

Truth&Justise
02-14-2018, 10:05 AM
Will Alex become the 2018 version of 2015 Grayson?

I sure hope so! But by that I mean we continue to let our freshman point guard grow and Alex remains an offensive spark-plug off the bench. But he could certainly help swing an important game our way.

IMO best season-long plan for Duke: invest in Duval!

elvis14
02-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Oh boy .I thought today was the 14th .I gave my wife her Valentine's day gifts.sat down. started looking for the game on t.v.
The wife just says with all this today .i cant wait to see what you do for me on valentines day tomorrow. laughs .
At least we can't play poorly today. I believe I will just go to bed.

You sir, have stumbled onto a brilliant strategy. I only wish I would have thought of it yesterday. By 'mistakenly' going full Valentines a day early, you've completed your obligations and are free to watch the game at a decent hour tonight.

By contrast, I have to figure out how to finish picking up the proper gifts, buy/cook dinner, take my daughter to a 7:30 soccer workout, not screw up Valentines day.....and then watch the game (which my wife knows nothing about yet). That basically, means I'll be watching the game around Midnight tonight! Lucky for me, I don't sleep much anyway.

left_hook_lacey
02-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Most lines have moved to -11 and some as high as -12.5 or -13 for Duke meaning folks were still betting on the good guys to cover.

I think a -13 favorite against an unranked VT team in Cameron is all we need to know about this game. I'm not brave enough to say we'll cover, but we'll definitely win. I actually hope Bagley doesn't play, as he wouldn't be needed as much in this game as opposed to the rest of the schedule. Let him rest up/recover, take care of VT, then reassess.

VA_BDevil
02-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Looking forward to a Justin Robinson on Justin Robinson match-up tonight!

Billy Dat
02-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Most lines have moved to -11 and some as high as -12.5 or -13 for Duke meaning folks were still betting on the good guys to cover.

I think a -13 favorite against an unranked VT team in Cameron is all we need to know about this game. I'm not brave enough to say we'll cover, but we'll definitely win. I actually hope Bagley doesn't play, as he wouldn't be needed as much in this game as opposed to the rest of the schedule. Let him rest up/recover, take care of VT, then reassess.

I don't get how a team that is 5-1 in their last 6 league games, coming off a road win against the #1 team in the country, is a double digit underdog. That makes no sense to me.

This game scares me to pieces as we have struggled against small ball and they kicked our butt last year.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2018, 02:31 PM
Just saw part of video interview with Wendell Carter....on WRAL.com.....and he kind of made it clear he likes Grayson at the point, and likes the way the court gets spread out with Grayson, AOC and Gary Trent in the lineup. He was quick to then say Trayvon is a great player, but this interview seemed to make it clear what lineup he liked best.

Ruh roh....

left_hook_lacey
02-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Just saw part of video interview with Wendell Carter...on WRAL.com....and he kind of made it clear he likes Grayson at the point, and likes the way the court gets spread out with Grayson, AOC and Gary Trent in the lineup. He was quick to then say Trayvon is a great player, but this interview seemed to make it clear what lineup he liked best.

Ruh roh...

He also said Bagley hadn't practiced all week. Not sure he had clearance to announce that given how Coach likes to keep injury's and their severity a mystery.

OldPhiKap
02-14-2018, 02:35 PM
I don't get how a team that is 5-1 in their last 6 league games, coming off a road win against the #1 team in the country, is a double digit underdog. That makes no sense to me.

This game scares me to pieces as we have struggled against small ball and they kicked our butt last year.

I'm with Billy, not sure where that line comes from. But the smart money is smart for a reason I reckon.

left_hook_lacey
02-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Cameron. And they're small. They don't have all the answers for the different types of looks we can give them. If they're 3's aren't falling early and often, they'll get into a hole they can't get out of. Cameron has a way of making great shooting teams shoot average, and that's all we need to win.

dukelifer
02-14-2018, 02:42 PM

This should be a close game but I have no idea how this will come out. Duke has played pretty well at home

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2018, 02:43 PM
He also said Bagley hadn't practiced all week. Not sure he had clearance to announce that given how Coach likes to keep injury's and their severity a mystery.

Yep, but coach K also likes to give his players freedom in interviews, which used to really rile the Heel fans, who were used to Dean's Myth (BTW, I love that....whoever made it up) tight robotic controls on his players' interviews.

Seems to me in the late 80s, there was a riff with Phil Henderson and some other players that spilled out into public. (This is REALLY off top of my head....) - but I seem to recall that airing out being healthy, and the next thing you know Phil was doing that monster slam over Alonzo Mourning and Duke got back to the FF that year.

The fans of "the corporation" just couldn't understand the notion of giving players freedom to let it out....
And BTW, that Henderson dunk, given the situation, who he posterized...may be the one of the great dunks in Duke history....

rsvman
02-14-2018, 02:55 PM

I know, right? Sheesh.

rsvman
02-14-2018, 02:58 PM
..... I don't think you're cut out to be a reverse-jinxer. Not tough enough.
I don't think toughness is the problem. It seems like he should be able to do it, but I just haven't seen him put in a full 40 minutes of effort. He needs to want it more. :rolleyes:

DukeFanSince1990
02-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Bagley out tonight, per official Duke MBB Twitter account.

kAzE
02-14-2018, 03:13 PM

. . . . this Duke team is stressful to follow.

jimsumner
02-14-2018, 03:14 PM
Bagley officially out for tonight.

left_hook_lacey
02-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Wonder if the line will move the other way now.

moonpie23
02-14-2018, 03:19 PM
vigil??????????

i'm afraid to start any new threads...

CDu
02-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Not good news, as it lessens our advantage inside (they appear to have a clear advantage on the perimeter) and weakens the mobility of our frontcourt (Bolden is not as agile as Bagley).

Hopefully the team steps up in Bagley's absence.

Knee sprains (even mild ones) are no joke.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Wonder if the line will move the other way now.

As one who doesn't really gamble, I'm curious what level of action is there on a game like this?

mattman91
02-14-2018, 03:42 PM
vigil??????????

But that would mean that...

Its over.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-14-2018, 03:45 PM
But that would mean that...

Its over.
You’re going to upset CDu...

ndkjr70
02-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Well, I'd much rather MBIII miss games in February than March. It appears they're being cautious with a minor injury, and that's a good thing.

I'll take March Madness as a 3-seed + healthy Badg over March Madness as a 1-seed without Badg in the lineup every day of the week and twice on (selection) Sunday.

IrishDevil
02-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Not good news, as it lessens our advantage inside (they appear to have a clear advantage on the perimeter) and weakens the mobility of our frontcourt (Bolden is not as agile as Bagley).

Yup. It will be interesting to see (1) whether Bolden and Carter's length can help offset their lack of quickness and (2) if it does not, how many minutes Jack and/or Javin log.

Saratoga2
02-14-2018, 04:12 PM

What we heard about is a minor injury. Now we have to wonder how minor it really is.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2018, 04:17 PM
What we heard about is a minor injury. Now we have to wonder how minor it really is.

Well, in 2001 Carlos Boozer went down with late season injury. In the interim, Duke developed some other people, and Booz came back to the lineup in the regional with a renewed drop step and improved footwork overall from sitting and observing...and Duke went on to win that National Title.

The analogy is far from perfect....but there is that.....

cato
02-14-2018, 04:19 PM

vigil??????????

Hopefully the team steps up in Bagley's absence.

Knee sprains (even mild ones) are no joke.

I keep waiting for a vigil thread, and it keeps not showing up. So I keep waiting.

It is a vigil vigil.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2018, 04:19 PM
As one who doesn't really gamble, I'm curious what level of action is there on a game like this?

There's always action on Duke in b-ball, just like there is with Alabama in football....but it's nothing like the NC game or NCAA games.

thedukelamere
02-14-2018, 04:35 PM
I keep waiting for a vigil thread, and it keeps not showing up. So I keep waiting.

It is a vigil vigil.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ClassicLiquidAssassinbug-small.gif

Ian
02-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Bagley is going to be a Top 3 pick is a few month, they won't risk him unless he's 100%.

devildeac
02-14-2018, 04:48 PM
vigil??????????

I mentioned that upon hearing the news for the GT game and the vigil police didn't like it. :rolleyes:

subzero02
02-14-2018, 04:53 PM
I no longer see the 12 point spreads at Vegas insider. All of the books covered by that site have Duke at -11/-10.5. I look for big games from Carter, Trent and Alex.

lotusland
02-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Camion is absolutely right. Lotusland - by pointing out your own reverse jinx attempt, you have immediately voided it.

The life of a reverse-jinxer is hard. You're supposed to get your predictions thrown back into your face when Duke wins or covers the spread easily or whatever. By removing those consequences for yourself, you nullified the jinx attempt. I don't think you're cut out to be a reverse-jinxer. Not tough enough.

In that case, doggone it, we’re going to Valentines Day massacre those Turkeys!

MChambers
02-14-2018, 05:12 PM
I mentioned that upon hearing the news for the GT game and the vigil police didn't like it. :rolleyes:

Vigil police or vigilantes?

devildeac
02-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Vigil police or vigilantes?

Both.

Kfanarmy
02-14-2018, 05:16 PM

kinda weird...I don't really remember him ever appearing to be hurt. Strain, Sprain, Duke is soooo tight lipped.

Natty_B
02-14-2018, 05:31 PM
Duke beat writer just posted video of Bagley shooting. So while he's out tonight I'm holding off, best I can, on panic.

https://twitter.com/jonmalexander/status/963901348432445440

OldPhiKap
02-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Duke beat writer just posted video of Bagley shooting. So while he's out tonight I'm holding off, best I can, on panic.

Thanks, Natty

WVDUKEFAN
02-14-2018, 05:39 PM
We will be fine. Hopefully we play 40 solid minutes and show some passion.

In other news, Kentucky plays Auburn. Let's all wish Auburn good luck in giving the slime ball Calamari another loss.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2018, 05:41 PM

Thanks for posting....but I was not encouraged....he was not even jumping on the shots....and they weren't foul shots. Not gonna read too much into it, but I'd have rather seen him shooting full jump shots....

Natty_B
02-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Thanks for posting...but I was not encouraged...he was not even jumping on the shots...and they weren't foul shots. Not gonna read too much into it, but I'd have rather seen him shooting full jump shots...

I'm basing it off not seeing a boot, and I know it's a knee injury so maybe a boot like contraption for the knee, as those have haunted us most of the decade.

-jk
02-14-2018, 06:02 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

kcduke75
02-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Is a minor knee injury similar to a minor heart attack? There is no such thing.

UrinalCake
02-14-2018, 06:16 PM

I dunno, he’s not jumping at all and barely even bending his legs. Harry Giles was doing 360 dunks in the layup line weeks before he ever played. Not saying you should panic, but maybe remain disillusioned. That’s my approach at least.

slower
02-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Not saying you should panic, but maybe remain disillusioned.

Already arrived at that point several games ago. :p

-jk
02-14-2018, 06:35 PM
20 minutes to go, and 4 rows of empty student bleachers at center court.

Yeesh! Where is everyone?

-jk

tteettimes
02-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Valentines dinner night I guess

proelitedota
02-14-2018, 06:46 PM

-jk

No-one wants to see a Bagleyless show.

OZ
02-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Is a minor knee injury similar to a minor heart attack? There is no such thing.

Minor pregnancy...

riverside6
02-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Virginia Tech...
https://www.scacchoops.com/virginia-tech-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-02142018

DU82
02-14-2018, 07:12 PM

-jk

Some people drive five hours to get to the game, others can’t walk five minutes to come.

-jk
02-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Some people drive five hours to get to the game, others can’t walk five minutes to come.

4h20m. Light traffic today.

-jk

oakvillebluedevil
02-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Any word on why no AOC? Chat moves too fast and can't find anything on the tweeter machine

ETA: He checked in - looks like just a rotation thing

rsvman
02-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Trent and Allen looking pretty good so far.

ncexnyc
02-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Nice job so far limiting VT's 3pt attempts. If we can cut our turnovers in half we'll be fine.

53n206
02-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Turnovers Duke 8 VaTech 2. But we're leading .

subzero02
02-14-2018, 07:53 PM
The lack of students is disappointing... glad to have the lead. Trent is money

wgl1228
02-14-2018, 07:54 PM
I'm just not understanding how O'Connell rides the bench. That's all I'll say.

HereBeforeCoachK
02-14-2018, 07:54 PM

I was coming to say that....and boom, there you were....so dittos...

MChambers
02-14-2018, 07:59 PM
One foul for the entire half. Watch out at the beginning of the second half.

AtlDuke72
02-14-2018, 08:10 PM
All 5 Va. Texh players move in their zone with every Duke pass. Maybe 2 guys move at all on the Duke zone when the Hokies pass.

flyingdutchdevil
02-14-2018, 08:27 PM
Duval is ballin tonight. Dr Jykll Allen showed up tonight. Love it

arnie
02-14-2018, 08:27 PM
All 5 Va. Texh players move in their zone with every Duke pass. Maybe 2 guys move at all on the Duke zone when the Hokies pass.
Still I rather see us zone against these quick teams. Working so far.

gocanes0506
02-14-2018, 08:30 PM
We will be fine. Hopefully we play 40 solid minutes and show some passion.

In other news, Kentucky plays Auburn. Let's all wish Auburn good luck in giving the slime ball Calamari another loss.

Bruce Pearl is fairly slimy himself

rsvman
02-14-2018, 08:31 PM

It's likely about matchups.
What is it that you don't like about 58-39?

subzero02
02-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Grayson is stroking...

Wendell Carter... Wendell Carter... Wendell Carter

gocanes0506
02-14-2018, 08:34 PM
Allen is hot. Even the heat checks are falling. I believe he has 25 so far.

jwillfan
02-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Loving Javin. His best game in a Duke uniform?

subzero02
02-14-2018, 08:36 PM

I agree. Something isn't adding up. Maybe he had a terrible week of practice but after some of Capel's quotes it seemed like he'd be a major part of the rotation at least in the near future.

Dub
02-14-2018, 08:36 PM
It's likely about matchups.
What is it that you don't like about 58-39?

My sentiments exactly. The score is currently 66-46. Of all games to complain about lineups, let’s not pick the one where we’re dominating a team without the best player in the building suited up.

pfrduke
02-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Have we be playing a 1-3-1 the last few possessions? A 2-1-2?

subzero02
02-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Va. Tech's will has been broken...

MChambers
02-14-2018, 08:40 PM
I agree. Something isn't adding up. Maybe he had a terrible week of practice but after some of Capel's quotes it seemed like he'd be a major part of the rotation at least in the near future.
Maybe he’s sick or injured?

jwillfan
02-14-2018, 08:42 PM

Seems like it. Best 36.5 minutes we've played in a while

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-14-2018, 08:43 PM
No terrible stretches. Consistenly stretching the margin.

subzero02
02-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Maybe he’s sick or injured?

Hopefully he is sick with something that isn't contagious.

Only 3 turnovers in the 2nd half... quality basketball from our players.

flyingdutchdevil
02-14-2018, 08:44 PM

First time all ACC?

subzero02
02-14-2018, 08:45 PM
Alex!!!... now we'll win :-).

jwillfan
02-14-2018, 08:47 PM
We even had a Vrank sighting in the first half.